Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,911 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:30 AM

Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? (12231 Views)

Pic: Ford Nigeria Unveils The First Ford Rover Car Manufactured In Nigeria / Honda And Toyota Which One Is Cheap To Buy From Used Car Market In Canada / Cotonou Car Market Vs Berger Lagos Car Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Ojame(m): 3:15pm On May 26, 2010
@ Siena
Fellow Deltan can you give me some advice on converting a 2002 MB 240E Elegance to LHD? would be appreciated. wink
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 26, 2010
Ojame:

@ Siena
Fellow Deltan can you give me some advice on converting a 2002 MB 240E Elegance to LHD? would be appreciated. wink

Sure. Items you'll need are;

Steering rack.
Dash (fascia).
Pedal box.
Air con / heater assembly (behind dash).
Wiper mechanism.
Glove box.
Centre console (if non-symmetrical).
Instrument cluster (if non-symmetrical).
Air con pipes.

These are just the basics, you may need more or less. Is this car in Nigeria yet, or still in Britain?
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 26, 2010
papadenzel:

D tin u ppl r not mentioning about rover is dat it works wit too many sensors and there r no good mechanics to work on dat in 9ja, currently d one my guy bought, afta spending so much on it, d dashboard looks like a xmas tree cos too many light dat r just on and never go off, d break lights r always on, and numberous other problem that u'll hardly get good rewires to work on. d parts do not come cheap also like d shocks wjhich comes with the car is solid with hydraulics et al, u won't even feel d lagos pot holes and bumps, but once dat one spoils, u r on your own,

All you've posted above are what an incompetent mechanic in Nigeria would tell his clients, to cover his / her own inadequacies.

Every modern car employs a myriad of sensors to send and receive data between the engine and ECU. The Rover is quite an old model, no longer in production, so actually has less sensors compared to a current production model. I like to deal with fact, rather than vague fiction from Nigerian mechanics. If they feel a Rover has "too many sensors", then they need to worry when faced with a 2010 Mercedes Benz, Audi or BMW that runs CAN-BUS (Controller Area Network) and more sensors than Maltesers in a bag.

Mechanical parts like dampers as you've mentioned are no harder to find, or any more expensive than the mechanically similar Honda Accord, so whoever told you they're an issue doesn't know what they're on about. I personally don't like Rovers, but I can still be objective regarding their short comings, the 600 series is as reliable as a Honda Accord (often referred to in Nigeria as "Bullet) from '93 - '98.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Akinbaba(m): 7:41pm On May 26, 2010
@ Siena,

How much would you convert a peugeot 206(2001 model) from right hand drive to left hand drive.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 26, 2010
Akinbaba:

@ Siena,

How much would you convert a peugeot 206(2001 model) from right hand drive to left hand drive.

You'll be pleased to know the Peugeot 206 utilises a modular bodyshell - which in layman's terms means there's no LHD / RHD version. Both are the same, so no welding or cutting is required to convert a RHD car to LHD.

You're looking at approximately £1,000 to do the job, inclusive of parts and labour.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by hart: 10:22pm On May 26, 2010
seina, thanks for ur post on Rover. pls i would like to Know if 600series is better than 620series. i want to buy a rover car by june but i dont known which is better. secondly what are their prices in contonou.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Ojame(m): 11:28pm On May 26, 2010
Fellow Deltan can you give me some advice on converting a 2002 MB 240E Elegance to LHD? would be appreciated. Wink

@Siena
Thanks for the info. The car is in the UK, my personal vehicle and thinking of shipping home to Naija. Can you do the job and how much for, do you reckon? Thanks
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 7:07am On May 27, 2010
Ojame:

Fellow Deltan can you give me some advice on converting a 2002 MB 240E Elegance to LHD? would be appreciated. Wink

@Siena
Thanks for the info. The car is in the UK, my personal vehicle and thinking of shipping home to Naija. Can you do the job and how much for, do you reckon? Thanks

For the Merc, you're looking £1,600 parts and labour included.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 7:14am On May 27, 2010
hart:

seina, thanks for your post on Rover. pls i would like to Know if 600series is better than 620series. i want to buy a rover car by june but i dont known which is better. secondly what are their prices in contonou.

No such thing as the 620 series. The 620 simply denotes the car has a 2,0L engine. If just badged Rover 600, it may be a base model, with either a 1,8 or 2,0L engine.

Specific badging are:

Rover 600 (1,8 - 2,0L single-point injection, 8V).
Rover 620 (2,0L multi-point injection, 16V).
Rover 623 (2,3L multi-point injection, 16V).

All come under the 600 series banner.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by femmy2010(m): 10:56am On May 27, 2010
Siena,
Thanks for shedding more light on the rover issue and i am sure many has learnt one or two lesson from the tips.
For any that need to buy a 1997 600 series Rover from Cotonou then they should call 08036363467 or email duduconsultt@yahoo.com and we would gladly deliver one with a Budget of N650k,Yes N650k for a full optioned Rover 620.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by hart: 11:20am On May 27, 2010
@femmy 2010,
Thanks are u saying u can deliver and automatic transmission Rover for 650k to me? with full option, what of rover 1998 american spec.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by femmy2010(m): 11:24am On May 27, 2010
Yes sir we can deliver the 1997 600 Rover with a budget of N650k(Full Optioned) and N750k can get you a 1998 American Rover.

We would be expectant of your final buying decison.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by chikeorji123(m): 12:25pm On May 27, 2010
@siena
what about this 2002/3 model rover 75 4clinder.should one need to avoid it like aids also?.But a friend of mine who bought since 2006,were cruzing the town up till now without much problem .Or does it mean that particular one is good? kindly reply
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Ojame(m): 5:32pm On May 27, 2010
@ Siena.
Thanks for the quote.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 27, 2010
chikeorji123:

@siena
what about this 2002/3 model rover 75 4clinder.should one need to avoid it like aids also?.But a friend of mine who bought since 2006,were cruzing the town up till now without much problem .Or does it mean that particular one is good? kindly reply

The Rover 75 is not a wise buy, regardless of the year. The only problem-free engine is the 2,0L turbo diesel, which is a BMW engine. The rest of the petrol range, both I4 and V6, are all Rover K-series engines, and not the best. I can't over stress the issues with Rover engines, so the choice is yours.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 27, 2010
femmy2010:

Yes sir we can deliver the 1997 600 Rover with a budget of N650k(Full Optioned) and N750k can get you a 1998 American Rover.

We would be expectant of your final buying decison.

To my knowledge, the Rover 600 was never offered for sale in North America or Canada, so American spec cars don't exist.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by royalicon(m): 8:08am On May 28, 2010
Pls go for the 600 series. I used 620si and it has been lovely, friendly, economical, convient and fast moving (over 18 months now).
Parts and mechanics are available.

Others, are no go area because of part and other issues. SIENA HAD IT ALL. He once advice when am about removing the thermostart -since i bought the car, i still use it with thormostart (even driving for 10hrs Lagos-Abuja-Lagos).
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Niseed(m): 12:00pm On May 28, 2010
@ siena- you mentioned the peugeot 206 having a modular body shell, does the same principle apply to the 406 coupe range? i.e 2.2 SE and the 3.0 litre V6, or how much would it cost to convert RHD coupe? thanks
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by femmy2010(m): 1:22pm On May 28, 2010
Royalicon,
You have said it all.
The reliability of the 600 series with Honda engine has continually been proven
i have adviced clients to go for it many a time and they have not come back for any regrets.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 28, 2010
Niseed:

@ siena- you mentioned the peugeot 206 having a modular body shell, does the same principle apply to the 406 coupe range? i.e 2.2 SE and the 3.0 litre V6,   or how much would it cost to convert RHD coupe? thanks

Sadly no - all 406 range, Coupe, Saloon and Estate are non-modular, they were built at a time when LHD and RHD body shells were seperate. It's the later cars that moved over to modular build, and that goes for Audi,Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda and some others.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by namski(m): 4:02pm On May 29, 2010
Siena:

To my knowledge, the Rover 600 was never offered for sale in North America or Canada, so American spec cars don't exist.

@Siena, always on point mate. Enjoyed all your explanations.

I also agree with you on the above, there was never any Rover 600 sold in America.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Ojame(m): 7:10am On May 30, 2010
@Siena.
Hi, sent you 2 emails. Hope you got em. Cheers
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Nobody: 7:50am On May 30, 2010
Ojame:

@Siena.
Hi, sent you 2 emails. Hope you got em. Cheers

Hi bro, I've gotten them, yes. We'll talk more later in the day.

You can remove your email address from this thread now, if you haven't already done so.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by namski(m): 10:11pm On Jun 03, 2010
Guys, pls just to ask, is Ford Focus driven in Nigeria and is it by any chance a common car locally?

Cheers.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by femmy2010(m): 4:57pm On Jun 04, 2010
Almost all car is driven in Nigeria but it is not a common one .
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by idiopathic: 8:16am On Jun 08, 2010
Hi Siena,
I have been following your postings on this auto site and have gained immensely from your advice. I have a very clean RHD 2002 Rover 75 connoisseur V6 saloon,engine size 2.5 with 62000 miles.
I have had it for over 2 years and it has been very reliable the only problem was an incident of overhearting which was fixed after the fan was changed.

I am considring sending it to an uncle in Nigeria.
What is your advice?
Can you concert it to LHD? What will be the cost of this service?

I am based in Cardiff and you can respond either on this forum or by mailing me on: doctorkk1001@yahoo.co.uk.
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by alamsdee: 3:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
Siena:

I wouldn't be driving that car - the consequences of steering failure at speed, when trying to take evasive action, don't bear thinking about.

I do LHD conversions, but I'm far from cheap, because I know the integrity of my work is beyond reproach. I guess ultimately, you get what you pay for.

Hi Siena

I'm about to purchase a RHD 2002 LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2.5 V6i ES Station Wagon 5dr Auto Petrol to send to Nigeria. Kindly advise on the cost of converting to LHD and an estimate of the freight fromn UK to Nigeria.

many thanks
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by Lanko0071: 4:06pm On Jun 28, 2010
3 units of 2008 corolla that just came from US for sale, just 15k miles (N2.5m). Very clean, just came in from US. Also, 2004 nissan morano (N2.85, Acura TL (1.5m), and Benz E class (1.7m). Interested? call or text to 08023679519 or mail lanko2004@hotmail.com. So sorry for breaking your topic. All prices negotiable
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by babseg(m): 6:34pm On Jun 28, 2010
femmy2010:

Royalicon,
You have said it all.
The reliability of the 600 series with Honda engine has continually been proven
i have adviced clients to go for it many a time and they have not come back for any regrets.

Hi Siena,

I think you know this convertion thing very well what is your mobile number and where are you located. I have some series of job to offer you.Pls get back to me on babseg2001@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by insight04: 2:17pm On Jul 08, 2010
Just to announce that our  UK shipped Rover Car  arrived Lagos after it was successfully cleared through Cotonou by Tadeus  (and his crew) and is currently undergoing LHD conversion at Lagos.

Thanks goes to  Larryshow4  who's Mechanic recommended the Mechanic we're now using for the LHD conversion.

Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by eseoku: 9:28pm On Jan 10, 2011
Hello all,
I do have a Rover 600, 2.0i with a broken engine. I have been told that a honda accord 2.0i engine will fit for a replacement. Can someone please tell me what year model of honda accord 2.0 engine will fit comfortably. Do l need to change anything else like the disc plate in my Rover gear box to a honda disc plate? pls kindly advice, I am going nut!!!!! Thank you,
Re: Is The Rover Car Market In Nigeria Lucrative ? by eseoku: 9:31pm On Jan 10, 2011
Hello Oga Siena, could you please help me out on my question above?? PLEASE KINDLY ADVICE ME, THANKS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Car Smokes Only In The Morning,what Could Be Wrong? / Are 'normal Wear' Cars On Copart Legit? / Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.