Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,795 members, 7,935,402 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 08:52 AM

Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (87703 Views)

Poll: Predict the results of Nigeria's match versus Argentina.

Nigeria wins!: 51% (179 votes)
Draw: 21% (75 votes)
Argentina wins!: 26% (93 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:31pm On Jun 12, 2010
Riodiao:

Though i fèel 4 Amodu but in truth d scorline would have bin more embarrassin 2 day if he was in charge

The performanc was no better than the worst performances under Amodu.

He could have achieved the same result. Lagerback is lucky we came away without 5 to 6 nil.

It was Enyeama that prevented that, not his formation or tactics.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 12, 2010
I will honestly bet on South Korea to beat Argentina
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 12, 2010
@ least, we are gettin our game right (tactics wise).our only problems now seems to be in the central mid-field & right attack
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2010
12large:

iyeneda you are a fool, amadiaoha should strike you if you think keita played good. the guy should just leave nigeria alone he should continue raming cow useless aboki.
Will you please shut the f.c#ck up and stop disgracing your folks with your imbecilic utterances!!!

Dundee united!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Princek12(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12, 2010
As soon as I saw the starting line up, I knew we would not win. No pacy guys. Why are Shittu, Yobo, Etuhu, etc, on that team? THose guys are not fit and can't run. Stanley Okoro and some guys from U-17 combined with Martins, Kalu, Osaze, Martins, and maybe Taiwo, Yakubu, Nsofor, Victor Anichebe would have done a better job. The SEs cannot run.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bros1234(m): 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2010
Rastamann:

Many of you are here saying bla bla bla. How many of you people can even play football? All you do is to sit and critize those who play. These guys did their best. Do you think that any of the SE players want to lose the match? The SE did all they can to win. In everything we do in life there is always some shortcomings and possible room for improvement. So learn to give kudos where and when necessary.

This is a stupid statement. I am not paid or promised IM$$$$ to play soccer. One must be good at what he does. This team simply disappointed me. Thank God my heart did not fail during the match.

Messi this messi that= rats. We are all men and should stand to what we are doing. Someone sholud call that oyibo man and warn him he did not all that money from us for nothing. i  dont care how good you played. We care about results
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Iyineda(m): 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2010
12large:

iyeneda you are a fool, amadiaoha should strike you if you think keita played good.

Aww. How sweet of you. kiss

Here
v
v
v

Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Tuyis: 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2010
mikeansy:

I will honestly bet on South Korea to beat Argentina

Agreed.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by mrjingles(m): 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2010
This na Sagamite Vs other Nlanders o! O boy take it easy before you burst an artery! Lets wait until we are knocked out before we write final report. U cant tell which student will be promoted based on only first term exam!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by binaflexia: 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2010
montelik:

This match was just like our match against Argentina at the WC in 2002, where Ike Shorunmu saved us from conceding a basket of goals. Today it was Enyeama who saved us from a total embarrassment. Let us not lie to ourselves, we were poor against Argentina. Because we only conceded one goal thanks to Enyeama's heroics and the profligacy of Higuain in front of goal doesn't mean we played well. Besides the fact we only took in one goal, what did we play that should give us confidence that if we were to repeat this sort of performance we would go far in this tournament. I see this result as more of product of Argentina's under-performance than any supposed improvement or good pattern play by our team. We might be able to beat Greece based what I saw in glimpses during the 2nd half, but I don't know about our chances against Korea. But first Greece where we will need to make a significant improvement.

I bet you will swallow your comment when the Argentine will put 10 pass Skorean and Greece.

NOTE: The presence of Lionel Messi alone is a combined presences of 3 defenders in SE
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite:

He could have achieved the same result. Lagerback is lucky we came away without 5 to 6 nil.

It was Enyeama that prevented that
, not his formation or tactics.

By the same token, Maradona was lucky Martins' shot didn't sail into the net.
It was Romero that prevented the shot from going in, not Maradona's formation or tactics. grin cheesy

Goal.com rated Lagerback 7/10. . . . .
SEVEN!!!!!!! I cannot ask for more from Lagerback.
He was DECISIVE. . . . . .Amodu lacks such.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 6:37pm On Jun 12, 2010

Did you watch Nigeria vs Egypt and Zambia

It was Enyeama that prevented that, not his formation or tactics

If not for Enyeama, Egypt and Zambia woulda scored 6 each
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by binaflexia: 6:37pm On Jun 12, 2010
Tuyis:

Agreed.

How I wish, I could bet with you.

North Korean will even beat Argentina.  Nonsensesssssss!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by sultan003(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2010
The boys were playing with caution, I guess maybe the tactics was contain and attack but it all went wrong when the goal was conceded
messi was surperb, maradona must have gone for a coaching course becos he used messi to our disavantage.
Enyeama was worldclass, i used to doubt him before, Kaita overworked himself, mikel would have done a good job than etuhu. Maybe 4-2-3-1 would have favoured us instead of 4-4-2, because it seems as if we were outnumbered in the midfield. Argentina was very weak in the defence especially the right back.

Check out this analysis http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/12/argentina-1-0-nigeria-tactics/
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2010

It was Enyeama that prevented that, not his formation or tactics.

Oh please!!!!!!!! If we had sacked Amodu before that nations cup we could have a much more stronger team "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" The manager had to work with the players available to him I know Lars started with a more cagey team but his substitution were positive, Whereas against Egypt at the Nations cup we are loosing and Amodu swaped a Holding player for another holding player.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by mrjingles(m): 6:39pm On Jun 12, 2010
Emm sagamite, WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR POINT!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by SLIGHT(m): 6:40pm On Jun 12, 2010
huHHHHH' NIGERIA LOST AND AM PISSED OF
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by zylla(m): 6:40pm On Jun 12, 2010
why don't we encourage these guys and especially d coach, they tried beyond my expectation.
All the best in your remaining matches, we're qualifying from this group.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Tuyis: 6:41pm On Jun 12, 2010
binaflexia:

How I wish, I could bet with you.

North Korean will even beat Argentina.  Nonsensesssssss!

All  we did for 45 minutes was watch Argentina do whatever they wanted with the ball. Go back and watch the game!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by trueword: 6:41pm On Jun 12, 2010
Nigeria did not play good today at all. All the little chances we did have were wasted.  Uche could have made that goal is he controlled the ball instead he kicked it to the people in the audience. Obasi had two good chances in first half and couldnt even test the goal keeper. I though Yakubu was useless and slow.

Things got better when Osaze and martins were in game.  Nigeria really needs to improve that defense. If it wasnt for the goalkeeper the score could have at least been 3-0. I can't believe how many free headers Argentina had in game. I could have played better defense than that. Nigeria is lacking players with very good ball control for set pieces. All the corners were wasted. There was no flow to their game. Sometimes they would just kick the ball down the field to no one and waste a possession.  I can't believe how they would just stand and watch Argentina pass the ball around. They didn't even bother to put pressure and force Argentina to make decisions instead of taking their time and picking the defense apart.

Let's see if the team can play better against greece and south korea.

It is such a shame that this team has fallen far from what it was in the 1990s. For the next world cup the Nigerian Football Federation needs an overhaul. There needs to be a system that should be put in place to start producing more technically gifted players. I know that there is more than one person in Nigeria that has the skills that someone like Okocha had, it's just a matter of making it easier for talented people to find their way on the team.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 6:43pm On Jun 12, 2010
Sagamite:

In a good team play, the keeper should not be exposed that amount of times. THAT AMOUNT OF ONE-ON-ONES!

That is because of the quality of the opposition.
It is understandable, you cant expect him to go gong ho against the Argies.
When you are on the back foot, you will most likely get exposed, not with the players we have any way.

Crossing corners and freekicks is not like penalty. There is no pressure on you, just focus.

So how is that the coaches fault?

If you are lousy at it for 90mins, then the coach has been poor in appointing set piece takers. 90 mins of APPALLING set pieces!

So who should he have appointed?
Taiwo takes most freekicks anyway, when its deeper Mikel normally takes them.

Agreed. So I was right that it made NO SENSE changing the coach that qualified you for WC?

Agreed! But when the coach has lost his players, then there has to be a change.
The only thing here is - this change can be a negative or posistive change. But we wont know yet!
The players were not playing for Amodu so we needed a fresh approach.

I pray so, I can't blame the man.

Agreed. But my point is that our players did not play to their potential. Some on the pitch were hopeless but yet some few that will condemn Amodu for this, are quick to praise a white coach.

Totally agree! Messi doesn't play to his potential all the time right?
What I'm saying is if this keeps happening, then I'd be worried but judging just from one game especially with the level of opponent is not concrete.
I can see why some are praising the white coach.
Sagamite, It is normal to play a 'containing' style of football against a better opposition for obvious reasons until a certain time. Did you see how the game changed for last 20 minutes, thats a normal approach to me.

Hell no, I expected them to dominate. I just did not expect us to be that poor and petrified.

Agreed but that is something that can be worked on.
The players were nervous wouldn't say petrified but that was Human and Normal.
If they were petrified as you put it, against Greece then that would worry me.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Riodiao(m): 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2010
Argentina lookd scrapy @ d back. We lack cofindence infront of goal, wat was obasi thinking in d 1st 3mins, should have done beta. I hate it when team i support dnt convert set pieces. 4 me da was d reason my team man utd didnt win d league. We score only 3goals 4rm set play all season. 9ja should have done beta , we had taller playas and yet lukmans delivery was very poor. Kaita did a nice job 2 stiffle di maria whose on his day is handfull. I didnt notice etuhu and utaka should have come on 4 taiwo rather than kalu coz of pace & experience. We lack a target player eg enamoro or amoebi , anechiebe just lyke heskey,crouch, militto,grafitte. anechiebe should have gone ahead of kanu. Kanu should have bin part of d technical crew lyke beckham.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sauron1: 6:45pm On Jun 12, 2010
omar22:

Oh please!!!!!!!! If we had sacked Amodu before that nations cup we could have a much more stronger team "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" The manager had to work with the players available to him I know Lars started with a more cagey team but his substitution were positive, Whereas against Egypt at the Nations cup we are loosing and Amodu swaped a Holding player for another holding player.

Amodu is a ruminant animal.
He does not understand the logic behind substitution.
Whether Nigeria is losing or drawing or winning. . . . . .Amodu's subs come in when the match is few minutes away to FULLTIME(unless one of his players gets injured).

Lagerback's subs were SPOT ON. . . . . .
His plan was to contain Argentina like i said earlier but the goal they conceded early changed the dynamics of the game.
Plan A failed and he quickly deployed plan B as early as the 52nd minute. . . . .Amodu woulda waited till the 87th minute before changing anything.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by binaflexia: 6:47pm On Jun 12, 2010
Tuyis:

All  we did for 45 minutes was watch Argentina do whatever they wanted with the ball. Go back and watch the game!!

What did you expect them to do with the quality upfront? Run after them and expose the defense.

It is Argentina will are talking about here!
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by kenerep: 6:47pm On Jun 12, 2010
Obviously segamite lacks the basic knowledge of judging a coach and no insult intended, Amodu would not have made the same changes Lars did and for me, he is quite alright!
The boys were playing with caution, I guess maybe the tactics was contain and attack but it all went wrong when the goal was conceded
messi was surperb, maradona must have gone for a coaching course becos he used messi to our disavantage.
Enyeama was worldclass, i used to doubt him before, Kaita overworked himself, mikel would have done a good job than etuhu. Maybe 4-2-3-1 would have favoured us instead of 4-4-2, because it seems as if we were outnumbered in the midfield. Argentina was very weak in the defence especially the right back.
, maradona coaching course hehehehe, messi was the only thing good in the argies team, Juan veron was horrible giving numerous balls away and Mascherano was no better!  If you call that world class then,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by otokx(m): 6:48pm On Jun 12, 2010
South Korea will surely give Argentina a tougher opposition; its not a bad idea going to borrow their coach but come of it we have good local coaches if only they can be giving the right support and free hand.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 6:51pm On Jun 12, 2010
~Sauron~:

Lagerback's subs were SPOT ON. . . . . .
His plan was to contain Argentina like i said earlier but the goal they conceded early changed the dynamics of the game.
Plan A failed and he quickly deployed plan B as early as the 52nd minute. . . . .Amodu woulda waited till the 87th minute before changing anything.

Exactly my sentiment!

Taiwo got injured, he took him off and put on an attacking player (Uche).
He went for it - thats being positive. What I like to see.

Amodu woulda replaced him with another defender . . . nothing wrong with that but sometimes you just have to take risks.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by omar22(m): 6:51pm On Jun 12, 2010

I was critical after the match but come to think of it we had to play it tight,  but not many teams try to go toe to toe with barcelona and thats what happened here, with S Korea we would have to jump on them but they would put our fitness to test, Greece have an experience manager who who would expose our weakness in the team,
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2010
~Sauron~:

By the same token, Maradona was lucky Martins' shot didn't sail into the net.
It was Romero that prevented the shot from going in, not Maradona's formation or tactics. grin cheesy

Goal.com rated Lagerback 7/10. . . . .
SEVEN!!!!!!! I cannot ask for more from Lagerback.
He was DECISIVE. . . . . .Amodu lacks such.

his keeper was on holiday in Tahiti most of the game.

His team used us for passing training and took the ball from us like bullies.

This is your typical question: Please tell me the structure and pattern you saw in this game.

omar22:

His starting line up was not impressive.

The commentators kept asking why Odems did not start. Obasi and Nsofor were HOPELESS.

But the selections was not horrible though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 6:53pm On Jun 12, 2010
otokx:

South Korea will surely give Argentina a tougher opposition; its not a bad idea going to borrow their coach but come of it we have good local coaches if only they can be giving the right support and free hand.

Do you think we are better than the Koreans?
Most people are thinking we would win our next 2 matches, I'm not too sure about that.
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by bawomolo(m): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2010
sagamite - who is the better in-game manager, largerbeer or amodu? be honest with yourself
Re: Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup by Adonike(m): 6:54pm On Jun 12, 2010
Let's pray that we win our next 2 matches. Up Nigeria, !

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (87) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo's Amazing Car Collections That Will Be Flown To Juventus / Drogba Separates From His Wife, Lalla Diakate, After 10 Years Of Marriage / Alex Ferguson's Last Chewed Gum As Manager Sold For 181.4 Million Naira: Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.