Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,170 members, 7,903,872 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 11:13 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29937 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 4:19pm On Jun 08, 2010
abadaba:

@Seanet02: You grey-haired slowpoke is indirectly informing nairalanders that you were Awo's secretary during his lifetime. You should be primarily concerned with your miserable life than other people's achievements. Have you not bothered how you can improve the life of that your one-eyed mother in the village.
Are you not concerned that your brother who is in the police college has started collecting bribe when he has not completed his course yet.
How about the shame of your father who died through necklace treatment by Lagos mobs. Why are you not so ahamed of your under-achieving family?.
Move back to the zoo where your following mohican animals are waiting for you. This is not a place for a smelly mouse like you. Mohican monkey, come catch banana.

Instead of firing back with the usual trash talk, why don't you counter his claim with your own if you have any?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 4:31pm On Jun 08, 2010
afam4eva:

Azuka, you have said it all. When will people learn to accept that whatever is best for them might not necessarily be good for someone else.

Is having the 1st TV station in Africa, even before a lot of European countries not a good thing for Nigerian and Nigerians in general?

Is having the fist modern stadium in Africa not a good thing for Nigeria and Nigerians in general.

Does it even make sense to deny yourself a notable achievement and sense of pride because of tribal sentiments?

I seriously wonder about some of you with your shallow, self defeatist and backward ways of thinking.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 4:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
babapupa:

Is having the 1st TV station in Africa, even before a lot of European countries not a good thing for Nigerian and Nigerians in general?

Is having the fist modern stadium in Africa not a good thing for Nigeria and Nigerians in general.

Does it even make sense to deny yourself a notable achievement and sense of pride because of tribal sentiments?

I seriously wonder about some of you with your shallow, self defeatist and backward ways of thinking.

I don't think anyone on this thread has denied the fact that Awolowo achieved great things for his people. But that does not qualify him to be the best leader Nigeria has ever produced, that's ludicrous man.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2010
afam4eva:

I don't think anyone on this thread has denied the fact that Awolowo achieved great things for his people. But that does not qualify him to be the best leader Nigeria has ever produced, that's ludicrous man.

You can not blame me or the thread starter for you and other's insecurities, the topic clearly says Awo Had No Equal in reference to his achievements as a leader. In your mind if there's any equal, go ahead and name them and lets compare notes.

Who equaled him?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 4:56pm On Jun 08, 2010
babapupa:

You can not blame me or the thread starter for you and other's insecurities, the topic clearly says Awo Had No Equal in reference to his achievements as a leader. In your mind if there's any equal, go ahead and name them and lets compare notes.

Who equaled him?

In terms of development, he leads in that regard but when it comes to fostering national united, he failed woefully.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 4:59pm On Jun 08, 2010
It's the way the OP presented it that's faulty. Just read this.

e lives through all those who believe in the goodness and kindness of the human spirit; and he lives through all those who genuinely believe in,
and invoke his name and ideals.

He truly was a truly great man. Because of his brilliance and strength of character, he was very much misunderstood and envied; and because most couldn’t measure up to his expectation and greatness, they vilified him. If you were not alive when Awolowo lived, or if you were not fortunate to have met him, well, let me tell you this: He was graceful. He was charismatic. He was purposeful. Most of all he had a clear vision of what he wanted for Nigeria and for humanity. Above all else, he was a nice and decent human being! Oh AWOLOWO!!

Within the context of Nigerian, and indeed within African politics, Awolowo had no equal. He towered above his colleagues. To truly appreciate his greatness, all you need do is to take a look at the men and women who now dot, and have dotted our public estate and public space. Do so and you’d be hard-pressed to name a political leader in Nigeria, in the last 50 years, who did more for his people and for his country than Awolowo. In him we lost the brightest star we ever had and may have to wait another seventy years for a man like him

As I think of Awolowo, I wonder what would have become of our country. I think of how far we would have gone in terms of human and economic development. I think of all the possibilities and the dreams and aspirations we had as a nation. I miss him. I miss a good man, I miss a great man. I cannot now remember who it was who said, “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile.” Awolowo was this and much more. He will remain in our lives for eternity.

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 5:32pm On Jun 08, 2010
afam4eva:

In terms of development, he leads in that regard but when it comes to fostering national united, he failed woefully.

In what way? I really need to know.

And as the premier of the western region, Awolowo was charged to work for and look out for the western region and he did a great job. He was never arrogated the responsibility to lead the country even though he tried so many times to play that role.

Also as a federal minister, he served his country excellently and if because he refused to compromise his principles, refused to betray his constituent and his conscience and also refused to bow to the whims of the colonialist. In addition, he refused to obey orders given by Dodan Barracks = what ever absurd labels you subscribe to, so be it because I even admire him more for that.

Wat was there to unite under a corrupt system and how do you make changes if you're not in the driver's seat? Was it his fault that other people didn't want to make the necessary sacrifices to better their own country? Must he sell out his conscience and  people, the same people he took oath to serve and protect just to appease a corrupt system? It was basically a matter of "fine, I'll take care of my people if you want to keep your head buried in the sand.

Some of the comments and statements by many of you lacks sound and rational seasoning and if I might add, little or no understanding of your own country's troubled history and events.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2010
[size=15pt]The topic isnt about whether Awolowo was a nationalist or whether he was liked by most Nigerians-

The topic is about him not having any equal in terms of his vision and his concrete achievements[/size]

I still havent seen anyone post concrete evidence of a person who headed their region better than Awolowo.

Simply put "Awolowo had no equal".
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by abadaba(m): 5:40pm On Jun 08, 2010
babapupa:

Instead of firing back with the usual trash talk, why don't you counter his claim with your own if you have any?
The monkey had nothing new to offer. He went further to insult the Igbo as an ethnic group. Doing that is like threading on a banana peal. That is unacceptable. If for instance any one here insults The Yoruba as an ethnic group, I will be the first to react like a volcanic eruption. What I did was just an example, I am waiting for more of his post.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 5:46pm On Jun 08, 2010
sjeezy8:

[size=15pt]The topic isnt about whether Awolowo was a nationalist or whether he was liked by most Nigerians-

The topic is about him not having any equal in terms of his vision and his concrete achievements[/size]

I still havent seen anyone post concrete evidence of a person who headed their region better than Awolowo.

Simply put "Awolowo had no equal".

It is perfectly safe to reach and re-assert that conclusion if after 22 pages and still zero equal.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2010
babapupa:

It is perfectly safe to reach and re-assert that conclusion if after 22 pages and still zero equal.

I think that in the whole 22 pages of this debate, the most interesting quote was someone who said this:

"To the ant on the table, the earth is flat".

lmao! grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by tkb417(m): 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

I think that in the whole 22 pages of this debate, the most interesting quote was someone who said this:

lmao! grin grin grin
LOLOL
i didnt see that part o
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
Awolowo had no equal and was the greatest politician Nigeria had ever produced in fanning the embers of tribal politics.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 6:09pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

lmao!  grin grin grin

Unfortunately for you, we are not talking about ants or what ever ignorant nonsense and quotes you may have, we are talking about Awolowo having no equal and till this very second and after 22 pages, we don't have any equal.

You can not substitute facts with silly quotes and meaningless grins.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 6:14pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

lmao! grin grin grin

This may be true if you cannot see anything good in other ethnic groups except yours.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by abadaba(m): 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2010
Tuyis:

This may be true if you you cannot see anything good in other ethnic groups except yours.
This sums up the entire thread. Well done. Thread closed.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 6:27pm On Jun 08, 2010
afam4eva:

But you did not answer my questions?

Is having the fist modern stadium in Africa not a good thing for Nigeria and Nigerians in general?

The fact that these historic achievements were sited in the west doesn't alter the term 1st in Africa and Nigeria. Refusing to acknowledge and take pride in that obviously reflects your own worse tribal affliction.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:31pm On Jun 08, 2010
babapupa:

But you did not answer my questions?

Is having the fist modern stadium in Africa not a good thing for Nigeria and Nigerians in general?

The fact that these historic achievements were sited in the west doesn't alter the term 1st in Africa and Nigeria. Refusing to acknowledge and take pride in that obviously reflects your own worse tribal affliction.

Do you have proof of these claims?

Do you know that many African countries were already fully established and functional even in the 1800s (before Nigeria was ever dreamed of)?

What in the world are you talking?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 6:33pm On Jun 08, 2010
Azuka.O:

Pls note, I was not comparing just Awo to Gani. I was choosing my greatest Nigerian. Gani Fawehinmi is my choice. To me (not to you), he was greater than Awo, Zik, Ahmadu Bello, Ojukwu, etc, because he was one man who would go to jail to defend me, even though I am not related to him. Awo or Ahmadu Bello would never do it for me an Igboman. Awo could do it for a Yoruba, Ahmadu Bello could do it for a Hausa man but not for me. Ojukwu could do it for an Igbo man, but not for a Yoruba man or Hausa man. So for me, GANI was the greatest Nigerian dead or alive (even though he was not a political leader). And I am not speaking for the Igbos. I have a right to have my choice.

In the West (Yoruba), Awo is No 1
In the North (Hausa/Fulani), Ahmadu Bello is No 1
In the East (Igbo), Ojukwu (not Zik) is No 1

Awo cannot win elections in the East or North. Ahmadu Bello cannot win elections in the East or West. Ojukwu cannot win elections in the North or West. That is where their weakness lies.

In the days of the regions, Nigerians (led by their regional leaders) played ethnic politics, and it became engrained in the system. I am happy that most of those who led that ethnic politics are leaving the scene. Gradually we will learn to play national politics, if we want to call ours one nation.

Dude, if u really meant all u wrote up here then big kudos to u; URE THE MOST SENSIBLE NIGERIAN I'VE MET IN A MINUTE. Now, lemme go take a look at this Gani guy!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 6:35pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

Do you know that many African countries were already fully established and functional even in the 1800s (before Nigeria was ever dreamed of)?

please name them and name countries - that didnt have whites as settlers
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 6:36pm On Jun 08, 2010
afam4eva:

@tkb417

Stick with the issue at hand insteading [/b]evading them. You've not made any meaningful contribution yet you're always [b]quich to jump at any gramatical error that[b] i[/b] make

You made a couple more errors! For ur benefit I bolded them out, correct them when u get the chance. Imagine the nerve calling people illiterates!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
sjeezy8:

please name them and name countries - that didnt have whites as settlers

So because they are white or Arabs or Ethiopians they are no longer Africans?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by redsun(m): 6:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
Awo is no match to Fela.You guys should be discussing genuine human beings not naive tribal colonial puppets
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 6:45pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

So because they are white or Arabs or Ethiopians they are no longer Africans?

are you mentally ok ?

and you said countries - Arabs and ethiopians worked as kingdoms and caliphates- not as countries
There were no "african countries" in the 1800's other than SA-which had a white settler colony from EUROPE.

you are trying to make a different argument address what I said-

redsun:

Awo is no match to Fela.You guys should be discussing genuine human beings not naive tribal colonial puppets

Fela was no match to Awo because fela didnt run a government- Please stick to the topic in term of development name anyone who was equal to Awo.

We are talking about government structure and development for governments during Awos time- I can careless about humanitarian Awards-
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:48pm On Jun 08, 2010
redsun:

You can't compare apples and oranges. Awo had his role, Fela had his role.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:50pm On Jun 08, 2010
sjeezy8:

are you mentally ok ?

and you said countries - Arabs and ethiopians worked as kingdoms and caliphates- not as countries
There were no "african countries" in the 1800's other than SA-which had a white settler colony from EUROPE.

Fela was no match to Awo because fela didnt run a government- Please stick to the topic in term of development name anyone who was equal to Awo.

We are talking about government structure and development for governments during Awos time-

Babapupa's claims were the same set of bulls we've heard since we were kids.

From the same set of myths, Mrs Fumilayo Ransome Kuti was the first woman in Africa to drive a car! grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by redsun(m): 6:54pm On Jun 08, 2010
sjeezy8:

are you mentally ok ?

We are talking about government structure and development for governments during Awos time- I can careless about humanitarian Awards-

That is what i am saying,comparing puppets does not make sense to rational minds.Awo can only make sense to tribal yorubas who probably see yoruba land as country but if one is seeing it on a general perspective as a nigerian,they are all failures and should be forgotten because their legacies are what nigeria is suffering today as a country
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 6:55pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

Babapupa's claims were the same set of bulls we've heard since we were kids.

From the same set of myths, Mrs Fumilayo Ransome Kuti was the first woman in Africa to drive a car! grin grin grin

I take it you know im right and you agree with the IJAW author of the article- since you cant post any facts that will refute the claim that Awo had no equal.

thread closed-

Im out
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:03pm On Jun 08, 2010

lmao! grin grin grin

Thread closed. I'm out. cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by akigbemaru: 7:07pm On Jun 08, 2010
Katsumoto:

You can't compare apples and oranges. Awo had his role, Fela had his role.
redsun:

F$$lish man, blackman with black brain -- olopolo dudu. How can you compared Awolowo to Fela. I think your Medular Oblangata is malfunctioning right now and you need a serious acupuncture to set it back to normal -- then I suggest the acupuncturist uses 3-by-4 thick nails instead of regular pins; because your situation is cathartic.  

Let me sing for you, "ka to ri erin odi gbo, ka to ri efon odi ogba, ka to ri eni bi Awolowo e yen di egbee," meaning before we see ELEPHANT we walk to a thick forest, before we see wild BUFFALO  we walk to a desert, before we see juat a nuance of Awolowo, it will take foreever. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by redsun(m): 7:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
If you like the truth,Fela is one the greatest african that has ever lived,he is line with men Mandela.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 7:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

You've already established your own ignorance, limitations and minimality, no need to keep re-asserting it.

Why waste my time?

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

Ibrahim Idris Arrives Dubai In Style. Photos / Lagos LG Election: Protest Over Ballot Papers Found In Bus At Agege / Photos From Rotimi Amaechi's 53rd Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.