Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,835 members, 7,938,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (30034 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2010
afam4eva:

So, was his job as the minster of finance for decoration?

If you want to be honest, you cannot hold him solely responsible for that policy, if there was really one. Falae was Babangida's finance minister and yet Babangida is held responsible for SAP.
Why is Awolowo different, is there a deep seated hatred for Awolowo that has nothing to do with the war?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 8:38pm On Jun 06, 2010
afam4eva:

So, was his job as the minster of finance for decoration?

Nah, Afam ure very correct, just like Timothy Geithner always picks up the phone and INSTRUCTS Barack Obama: "Hey, I want u to drop 9 hell-fire missiles on that Taliban stronghold! Oh, and dont forget to destroy the farmlands!!!". These freakn Ibo monkeys. . . . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2010
Tuyis:

If you want to be honest, you cannot hold him solely responsible for that policy, if there was really one. Falae was Babangida's finance minister and yet Babangida is held responsible for SAP.
Why is Awolowo different, is there a deep seated hatred for Awolowo that has nothing to do with the war?

At least you think he should be held responsible. Of course he's not t he only one but at the moment we're discussing Awolowo.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2010
Tuyis:

hmm .  . . I beg to differ, Falae does get blamed for SAP. However SAP was an economic policy. Its likely Awolowo received orders from above to give the 20 pounds, but maybe he did not challenge it thats what my igbo brothers are worried about? Or they are just obssessed with Yoruba people more than with other ethnic groups.

At least you think he should be held responsible. Of course he's not t he only one but at the moment we're discussing Awolowo.

Please point to a thread on Gowon for me
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

Why don't you open one.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

hmm .  . . I beg to differ, Falae does get blamed for SAP. However SAP was an economic policy. Its likely Awolowo received orders from above to give the 20 pounds, but maybe he did not challenge it thats what my igbo brothers are worried about? Or they are just obssessed with Yoruba people more than with other ethnic groups.

I agree, but this arguement has never been framed that way. It is usually Awolowo did this and that. It is as if Awolowo had all the powers and Gowon was just a bystander!!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 8:49pm On Jun 06, 2010
afam4eva:

Why don't you open one.

I have no problem with Gowon, I think he was extremely nice to the igbo in such a situation. Please dont forget to quote me anywhere.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 8:53pm On Jun 06, 2010
The civil war didnt change yorubas outlook on Nigeria or on other tribes.

They didnt hate hausas before the war and they dont hate them now.
They didnt hate igbos before the war and they dont hate them now.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 8:53pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

I have no problem with Gowon, I think he was extremely nice to the igbo in such a situation. Please dont forget to quote me anywhere.

YOU SOB!

Nice to Igbo? Oh really, by starving us? Is that so nice?

Glad his region is going up in flames now. You reap what you sow.

Soon it will be happening in Yorubaland. Once the Fulani finish off what they started in Jos, they are going to move down to Yorubaland as well.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by kettykings: 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2010
@ Bkbabe 97 the land I am talking of is ilaje Land in ondo state ( a clear case of yorubas coveting ijaw land)
@ tuyis hongkong was taken by the british during chinese wars of the 40s and was returned to them an the 90s. But lagos originally was a colony on its own discovered by th Binis.

@ tuyis Awo was veepee and finance minister , it was he who ordered that the igbos be given 20 pounds for whatever they had in the bank , he also banned the importation of stock fish and clothes and started the indigenisation of companies in nigeria.

The last privatisation program by OBJ the north was given loans to buy companies ,Awo did not give ibos loans.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
Yoruba people don't seize to amaze me. Is this the same education that Awolowo gave you guys. You can't even argue reasonably.

sjeezy8:

The civil war didnt change yorubas outlook on Nigeria or on other tribes.

They didnt hate hausas before the war and they dont hate them now.
They didnt hate igbos before the war and they dont hate them now.

Did you actually partake in the free education. You sound like a fool to me.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 8:59pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

YOU SOB!

Soon it will be happening in Yorubaland. Once the Fulani finish off what they started in Jos, they are going to move down to Yorubaland as well.

It was a war mate. What do you expect to happen during a war- being fed ice cream??

Fulani moving to yoruba land? grin  You are in another century. Gone are the days of matcheres and tribal warfare. Now is the time of economic warfare
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 8:59pm On Jun 06, 2010
Yoruba people don't seize to amaze me. Is this the same education that Awolowo gave you guys. You can't even argue reasonably.

I think the right word is cease tongue

Second time
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:01pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

It was a war mate. What do you expect to happen during a war- being fed ice cream??

Fulani moving to yoruba land? grin  You are in another century. Gone are the days of matcheres and tribal warfare. Now is the time of economic warfare

Only a coward would starve their enemy. Even the allies did not starve the axis powers. They defeated them in the field of battle. It shows weakness, because it impacts not the soldiers who will be well fed, but the civilians and innocent women and children.

If you think warfare is over, go ask the people of Jos, or go to Sudan, go to the Congo, go to the Middle East. In this century, there will be more wars as resources become more scarcer.

You definitely like to make idiotic statements SEFAGO and you do not understand the world.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

YOU SOB!

It can never happen to yorubas for many reasons

1) Yorubas are majority in the SW and ethnically homogeneous.
2)Hausas arent indignes in the SW like they are in Plateau state.
3)Hausas arent silly enough to cause trouble where they arent the majority or close to it.

Wish so for your own people- not anyone elses.

afam4eva:

Did you actually partake in the free education. You sound like a fool to me.

So because there was a civil war I should be going around carrying it on my head- I DONT GIVE A FUQ ABOUT WHO DIED IN THE WAR OR WHO FOUGHT IN IT. An igbo is ok with me and an Hausa is ok with me- as long as they dont overstep their boundaries.

SEFAGO:

I think the right word is cease tongue

Second time

lol he attended school in the EAST-
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO

And you said economic power. Well the Igbos are already winning that race as we practically own Abuja and our sights will be on Lagos since our population is continue to grow in Lagos.

Igbo population is exploding and all you people can just wonder what that means. We will one day all of Yorubaland.

We are truly the "Jews" of Africa.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 9:06pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO

And you said economic power. Well the Igbos are already winning that race as we practically own Abuja and our sights will be on Lagos since our population is continue to grow in Lagos.

Igbo population is exploding and all you people can just wonder what that means. We will one day all of Yorubaland.

Here you go again with your silly statements . . . we own this, we own that, we own those, but no evidence of what you own grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 9:09pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO

There you guys go again- thinking stu.pidly you think having money makes you powerful in a land where you ahve no political say.

If igbos own Abuja and are so powerful why hasnt there been an igboman as minister of the FCT.

- you guys never learn
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:10pm On Jun 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

Here you go again with your silly statements .  . . we own this, we own that, we own those, but no evidence of what you own  grin

SEFAGO,

I love it when a fool lives in denial. It makes the fall even sweeter.

El-Rufai already estimated that Igbos own 73% of Abuja's landed property.

Yes, we Igbos are known throughout Africa as entrepreneurs. Go to the farthest corners of the continent and people have heard of the Igbo.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 9:10pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO,

I love it when a fool lives in denial. It makes the fall even sweeter.

El-Rufai already estimated that Igbos own 73% of Abuja's landed property.

Yes, we Igbos are known throughout Africa as entrepreneurs. Go to the farthest corners of the continent and people have heard of the Igbo.

mind naming any famous Ones?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:12pm On Jun 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

There you guys go again- thinking stu.pidly you think having money makes you powerful in a land where you ahve no political say.

If igbos own Abuja and are so powerful why hasnt there been an igboman as minister of the FCT.

- you guys never learn

We have learned not to get involved in politics. Why should we? We rather be landlords.

Has a Jew become president of the U.S.? Yet, they are widely respected in own the international banking industry.

Now that is true power. Little ol Israel actually controls the U.S. and that is due to the fact that the Jews who are barely 2% of the population have a say in the country.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:14pm On Jun 06, 2010
Read and weep. . . cry cry cry cry cry

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-54751.0.html

Lazy Yorubas. . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Guys we should refrain from calling each other unplatable names and concentrate on the facts and issues at hand, those with shallow views would be obvious in no time,  the frivolities of the Eastern leaders like our dear Ojukwu supporting the most clueless leader( IBB ) since the Geographical expression called Nigeria came to being would come to the foreshore. His mental state without a doubt would not be queried but would be conclusive why call each other names when the truth has already set us free.

To those calling Awo a regional leader, there was no national leadership prior to the coups of 1966. The Regional leaders pull the strings,  but where the regional leaders fell short was if the centre was not run properly the whole nation gets the flak in any international gathering hence the reason why Awo wanted to replicate some of the magic he had performed in the regions in the centre.

We have to remember the Sarduna of Sokoto won the 1959 general election which ushered in our independence. But instead of him resuming the position of Prime Minister in Lagos he chose his trusted lieutenant in the person of Tafawa Balewa to proceed to Lagos and take up that appointment why he sat back in Kaduna as the puppet's connoisseur.

What we had b4 1966 was a loose confederation, OR an uneasy allainace of 3 nations to form Nigeria. Awolowo was a national leader in the SW Region of Nigeria which was more or less a de-facto Republic of Oduduwa in a loose confederation with some other regions.

National leadership all over the world start with strong impact in the region, George Bush was a Governor b4 he became President, so was Cliton, so was Obama a State and National Senator. The regions are where u learn the hard craft of Governance.

The Reason why OBJ is a failure in Nigeria is because he first came to power by the nuzzle of a gun, so did IBB, Abacha and Abdulsalam. Do u call these men national leaders just because they have being Head of State hell no. For u to be a national leader u must go through the rigours of electioneering and win. So far the only leader's we can call true national leader's in a newly reconfigured Nigeria are Yaradua and Shagari. Awolowo was a national leader in the old Nigeria setting, after the creation of states in 1967 Nigeria as a polity was re-configured hence more power at the centre and less for the Regions prior to that the regions rule the roost.

Just as AWO was a national leader in the  SW Nigerian region in that well known un-written but widely practised open confederation so was Zik and the SARDUNA OF Sokoto.

The argument he was not a natonal leader does not hold water, Awo was Gowon's Federal Commisioner of Finance and he was directly and indirectly involved in the construction boom that Lagos experience between 1967 to 1975,  so for anyone to say he was not a National leader is a fallacy. If he is not then who is a national Leader Soldiers  undecided[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:17pm On Jun 06, 2010
Back on topic, I would spit on Awolowo's grave.

That is how much I despise the man.

His hatred for the Igbo was paramount, that every Igbo child that is born is a smack into his ugly Yoruba face!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 9:19pm On Jun 06, 2010
The Minister in charge of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir el-Rufai over the weekend declared that Igbos have acquired about 73 percent of landed property in Abuja.
The Minister, who was addressing a gathering of Southeast elected officials also revealed how the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Ahmadu Ali abused him for demolishing his house in Asokoro District in Abuja.
Speaking on a lighter mood, el-Rufai called on the Igbos to take Abuja as the sixth state of the southeast in view of their dominance of the real estate sector of the FCT.
He pointed out that such dominance explains why the Igbos appear to have been the worst victims of the demolition exercise in the territory.
For instance, he said “68 percent of the land allocations in the FCT belongs to the 19 northern states, but in actual land ownership, 73 percent belongs to the Igbos with the most aggressive in land ownership belonging to the indigenes of Anambra state, while Ebonyi lags behind.”

Sounds just like when Bill Clinton made a statement about Emeagwali grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 9:22pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

For instance, he said “68 percent of the land allocations in the FCT belongs to the 19 northern states, but in actual land ownership, 73 percent belongs to the Igbos with the most aggressive in land ownership belonging to the indigenes of Anambra state, while Ebonyi lags behind.”

If ebonyi indignes are busy using their money investing in the capital and not ebonyi- one of the worst southern states what does that say about your leaders- If this statement is true?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:24pm On Jun 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

If ebonyi indignes are busy using their money investing in the capital and not ebonyi- one of the worst southern states what does that say about your leaders- If this statement is true?

It says nothing about our leaders. What would our leaders have to do with this?

It is the people who chose to move to this region. And have you ever been to Ebonyi State. Enough of this hearsay. You don't hear an Igbo talking about Yoruba state unless they have been to one.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 9:29pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

It says nothing about our leaders. What would our leaders have to do with this?

It is the people who chose to move to this region. And have you ever been to Ebonyi State. Enough of this hearsay. You don't hear an Igbo talking about Yoruba state unless they have been to one.

lol - backward way of thinking. If your elite are else where in Nigeria- how will your own land develop?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 9:37pm On Jun 06, 2010
I'm truly impressed by EzeUche's rapid transformation. This boy will go places! These are the emerging young Igbo leaders who would help craft our survival in Nigeria. All of us will one day help direct our people to properly use their heads.

Meanwhile I'll advise every Igbo living and buying property in Lagos and other part of Yorubaland to buy and own one of the most powerful weapons against witchcraft power today. Incidentally the weapon was designed by a Yoruba man. The name is: PRAYER RAIN by Dr D K. Olukoya.

You need that in order to possess your possessions. cool

@afam4eva

Thanks too. wink
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by henry101(m): 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

I'm truly impressed by EzeUche's rapid transformation. This boy will go places! These are the emerging young Igbo leaders who would help craft our survival in Nigeria. All of us will one day help direct our people to properly use their heads.

Meanwhile I'll advise every Igbo living and buying property in Lagos and other part of Yorubaland to buy and own one of the most powerful weapons against witchcraft power today. Incidentally the weapon was designed by a Yoruba man. The name is: PRAYER RAIN by Dr D K. Olukoya.

@afam4eva

Thanks too. wink

grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

Back on topic, I would spit on Awolowo's grave.

That is how much I despise the man.

His hatred for the Igbo was paramount, that every Igbo child that is born is a smack into his ugly Yoruba face!

Onlytruth:

@afam4eva

Thanks too. wink

If a rabid ethnocentric fellow like EzeUche is the future of Igbo leadership, I think you have a big problem.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 9:57pm On Jun 06, 2010
Tuyis:

If a rabid ethnocentric fellow like EzeUche is the future of Igbo leadership, I think you have a big problem.

Actually what I admire in him is his honest acceptance of the truth about our situation in Nigeria which most of Igbo are still denying. Only few of us have come to see our problems the way they are. Others are not even thinking at all.
I don't hate anyone who does not hate me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply)

Edo 2020: Obaseki Loses As Appeal Court Tells Him He Has A Case To Answer / Sergeant Joseph Nwaka's Death: 5 IPOB Members Arrested In Imo / Ministerial List: How Tinubu Dumped "Lagos Template"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.