Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,173 members, 7,903,880 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 11:23 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29939 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 9:59pm On Jun 06, 2010
Awolowo introduced tribalism into Nigerian politics- He sowed an evil seed that has grown to devastating consequences for my people and Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 10:01pm On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Actually what I admire in him is his honest acceptance of the truth about our situation in Nigeria which most of Igbo are still denying. Only few of us have come to see our problems the way they are. Others are not even thinking at all.
I don't hate anyone who does not hate me.

lol no hes still thinking backwards like an igbo man - If anything you people would study the yorubas and be like them.

You see yorubas know theres no power in investing in other lands beside your own because this is is Africa. My uncles have houses in ABUJA for simple leisure and because they are PDP,not for investments.

and igbo may own property in ABJ but there are more Hausas-fulanis which is why there has never been an igbo elected as minister of the FCT.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 10:06pm On Jun 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol no hes still thinking backwards like an igbo man - If anything you people would study the yorubas and be like them.

You see yorubas know theres no power in investing in other lands beside your own because this is is Africa. My uncles have houses in ABUJA for simple leisure and because they are PDP,not for investments.

Actually, we are studying the Yoruba and then we would TRANSCEND them. Why should I study my opponent to be like him?

And you are wrong about owning land. As long as we are Nigerians (and Igbo man will fight to keep Nigeria ONE), there is power in owning lands everywhere in Nigeria. That is why the emerging Igbo leadership is undergoing a paradigm shift in our survival strategies in Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 10:54pm On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Awolowo introduced tribalism into Nigerian politics- He sowed an evil seed that has grown to devastating consequences for my people and Nigeria.

1. True, he was also the one that tried to "hand over" a democratically elected govt to the military becus he saw that he was about to lose power.

2. He also planned a coup and killed the brightest and most influential Hausa Politicians at the time!

3 Oh, after losing the Western Region, he ran to the East and tried to rule the Ibos. Oh, and he also greedily aspired to rule the whole of Africa!!!

4. Yes, Mr Awolowo was also the one that Killed top Northern Politicians, took pictures of their mutilated corpses and handed them to Ibo traders in Northern Nigeria to display in their shops. Oh, yes, its was him that also instructed the Ibo traders to taunt their hosts with the pictures of the mutilated corpses of their Leaders!

Sure, Mr Awolowo institutionalized tribalism in ur country u lying Ibo buffoon!!!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 11:02pm On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO,

Yes, we Igbos are known throughout Africa as entrepreneurs. Go to the farthest corners of the continent and people have heard of the Igbo.

sure, everyone heard of yall; like this Ibo man in this picture. Entrepreneurs indeed!

The Special Drug Court in Durban, South Africa sentenced one of the most wanted druglords, Ndudim Agoha to 20 years imprisonment.

•Ndudim Agoha
Ndudim Agoha is a Nigerian and had been living in South Africa for eight years. Agoha will spend 16 years behind bars because four years of his sentence was suspended.
The business magnate was arrested in May last year after police found cocaine and ecstasy at his home. The druglord was convicted of dealing in cocaine and ecstasy with a street value of a R100 000.
He reportedly has assets in the plush Sunningdale suburb of Durban, and described flashy and a lavish spender. Equipment and quantity of drugs found in his home, convinced the court that he was higher up in the city’s underground drug syndicates hierarchy. Durban is a city plagued by drugs and rising crime.
“He was caught dealing in over R100 000 cocaine and ecstasy and therefore his involvement in manufacture and distribution is obviously of much larger scale than your average drug dealer,” Mark Dyson, the senior public prosecutor, said.
Defence argued in court that the lavish spending Nigerian was a legitimate businessman who travelled to Nigeria and the US regularly.
Magistrate Mervin Maistry said he viewed drug dealing as serious as murder, his reason for the stiff sentence.
He said Agoha would have received lesser sentence had he assisted the police in identifying other people involved in the drug network.

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/nigeria/topic,38468.0-.html

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Alxmyr(m): 11:24pm On Jun 06, 2010
23 years after you are gone, your influence and relevance on the sand of Africa history remains indellible.
Those who denied your achievements do so in envy and bigotry.
You show the light to other people and teach them the value of home development,
'Ile la ti n k'eso rode'

Papa Awo, sleep on my hero.
Good night, my mentor.
Adieu Chief Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
Omo iwaju oloko to n sowo
Ehin kule oloko to n so ejigba ileke
Igede ge oloko a ku yebe yebe, yebe leti omi

Araba ni baba, eni a ba laba ni baba

BABA AWOLOWO SUN RE OOOOOO
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 11:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Actually, we are studying the Yoruba and then we would TRANSCEND them. Why should I study my opponent to be like him?

And you are wrong about owning land. As long as we are Nigerians (and Igbo man will fight to keep Nigeria ONE), there is power in owning lands everywhere in Nigeria. That is why the emerging Igbo leadership is undergoing a paradigm shift in our survival strategies in Nigeria.

Assuming only Igbo's are buying lands in Nigeria and all other Nigerians use their money to eat guguru and epa!
Pls stop thinking in one dimensional way. You just assume other Nigerians are too dumb to understand whatever is going on around them!!
I think Igbos in Nigeria needs a serious image makeover, if you must know, Igbos are already percieved as too overbearing in Nigeria and this stereotype is being reinforced by posts like yours.
You can buy all the land you want in Yorubaland and still get kicked out if your presence is no longer welcomed.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 12:11am On Jun 07, 2010
Tuyis:

Assuming only Igbo's are buying lands in Nigeria and all other Nigerians use their money to eat guguru and epa!

I never said that! In fact I would say let every Nigerian buy lands where ever they can afford it.
Only the weak is afraid of competition.

Awolowo wanted a Nigeria where the Yoruba would garner the corporate wealth of Nigeria by crook. My grouse with him is that he wanted to achieve that by unscrupulously annihilating his perceived opponents -the Igbo. Only a weak person will beat a man whose hands are tied behind his back. That is what Awo did in 1971 after the war. Thank God Igbo have bounced back and are moving full speed ahead to capture that same wealth through sheer grit and discipline. And this time, you have about 40 million Igbos to stop -an impossible task.

We will get there soon. Nigeria is "getable". Awo planned to deny relatively fewer Igbos their bank accounts in 1970, today there are millions and millions of Igbo with not just bank accounts, but hard properties all over Nigeria.
This country is really ours. And guess what? That is what Awolowo never thought would happen. Try to secede now and see pepper.

Igbo have a wise proverb which say " when an evil and duplicitous man dies and buries himself, one of his hands must stick out from his grave".
One of Awos hands is sticking out, . . . and it stinks! lmao! grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 12:28am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

I never said that! In fact I would say let every Nigerian buy lands where ever they can afford it.

Awolowo wanted a Nigeria where the Yoruba would garner the corporate wealth of Nigeria by crook. My grouse with him is that he wanted to achieve that by unscrupulously annihilating his perceived opponents -the Igbo. Only a weak person will beat a man whose hands are tied behind his back. That is what Awo did in 1971 after the war. Thank God Igbo have bounced back and are moving full speed ahead to capture that same wealth through sheer grit and discipline. And this time, you have about 40 million Igbos to stop -an impossible task.

We will get there soon. Nigeria is "getable". Awo planned to deny relatively fewer Igbos their bank accounts in 1970, today there are millions and millions of Igbo with not just bank accounts, but hard properties all over Nigeria.
This country is really ours. And guess what? That is what Awolowo never thought would happen. Try to secede now and see pepper.

Igbo have a wise proverb which say " when an evil and duplicitous man dies and buries himself, one of his hands must stick out from his grave".

lol yorubas dont want to secede they are comfortable in Nigeria - INFACT I LOVE NIGERIA EVEN WITH ITS CORRUPTION- as long as it goes my way.

Buy all the land you want- who cares invest heavily in other regions- good for you

BUT WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE YOU TALK ABOUT BIAFRA ONEDAY AND THEN IN THIS THREAD YOU ARE SAYING YOU WANT "ONE NIGERIA"- which one is it do you want biafra or Nigeria?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 12:38am On Jun 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol yorubas dont want to secede they are comfortable in Nigeria - INFACT I LOVE NIGERIA EVEN WITH ITS CORRUPTION- as long as it goes my way.

Buy all the land you want- who cares invest heavily in other regions- good for you

BUT WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE YOU TALK ABOUT BIAFRA ONEDAY AND THEN IN THIS THREAD YOU ARE SAYING YOU WANT "ONE NIGERIA"- which one is it do you want biafra or Nigeria?

Thank you very much for that question. Here is the answer: It is because people like you who were molded by the evil sage Awolowo say one thing today and do the opposite tomorrow. cool grin

We the new Igbo age group have decided to study you and move ahead whether you like it or not.

Give us ONE Nigeria, fine by us; give us Biafra even better. Our aim is to survive and be ourselves whether you like it or not. You are hoping to remove the drive (the lion in us) in order to "Nigerianize" us, but we want to define our own Nigeria. The Nigeria we want, which we must have, is one that allows us to thrive. And we would bulldoze all obstacles to our thriving in Nigeria.

While you are busy dilly dallying, we are consolidating to a point where we would fight you if you ever dream of breaking up that country to steal our property.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 12:51am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

Thank you very much for that question. Here is the answer: It is because people like you who were molded by the evil sage Awolowo say one thing today and do the opposite tomorrow. cool grin

We the new Igbo age group have decided to study you and move ahead whether you like it or not.

Give us ONE Nigeria, fine by us; give us Biafra even better. Our aim is to survive and be ourselves whether you like it or not. You are hoping to remove the drive (the lion in us) in order to "Nigerianize" us, but we want to define our own Nigeria. The Nigeria we want, which we must have, is one that allows us to thrive. And we would bulldoze all obstacles to our thriving in Nigeria.

While you are busy dilly dallying, we are consolidating to a point where we would fight you if you ever dream of breaking up that country to steal our property.

lol are you joking or are you serious because im really laughing right now it looks like a joke-

you have serious mental issues - Nigeria can break up its ok with me Nigeria can stay one its still ok with me. No one is holding you guys back, do what you want son!

Just dont get in my way of making Money homie! cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 12:57am On Jun 07, 2010
esp with your crazy ways of thinking One day you say biafra the next day you want to live and buy property in the west - LOL

Hmm Oil wells for me and paddies (Imo and Abia) sounds good better yet off shore River state- One Nigeria for Life jare. cool Just dont kidnap me when I come to the east and get an Oil well.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 1:28am On Jun 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

esp with your crazy ways of thinking One day you say biafra the next day you want to live and buy property in the west - LOL

Hmm Oil wells for me and paddies (Imo and Abia) sounds good better yet off shore River state- One Nigeria for Life jare. cool Just dont kidnap me when I come to the east and get an Oil well.

Go get the oil if MEND allow you. grin grin grin

As for me, I'll define Nigeria and occupy it the way I want. Not the way your evil pa wants it.

I'm the one laughing because you guys think we are desperate to secede grin grin grin

I promised you that your people would be begging to secede one day.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 1:53am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

Lol. And who wanted to run away again in 1967 when the Hausas returned fire for fire and turned Ibos into human ground beef?

Onlytruth:

My grouse with him is that he wanted to achieve that by unscrupulously annihilating his perceived opponents -the Igbo. Only a weak person will beat a man whose hands are tied behind his back. That is what Awo did in 1971 after the war. Thank God Igbo have bounced back and are moving full speed ahead to capture that same wealth through sheer grit and discipline. And this time, you have about 40 million Igbos to stop -an impossible task.

We will get there soon. Nigeria is "getable". Awo planned to deny relatively fewer Igbos their bank accounts in 1970, today there are millions and millions of Igbo with not just bank accounts,

Lol. psycho!!! You really think yall was perceived as enemies! I seen the pictures yall stay taking in 1967 and they really wasnt pretty! Even starving Ethiopians looked like they'd body ur strongest Biafran in a cage fight!!! Perceived enemies indeed! WHAT DID U EXPECT FOR EXCHANGING WORTHLESS BIAFRAN POUNDS INTO LEGIT CURRENCY??!? LOL. U R A slowpoke!!! You wanted it to be 1 Biafran pound= 65 Nigerian Naira, right? lunatic!

And how did u reach the numbers of "40 million Ibos", or is this, as usual, one of the many myths yall stay spreading?! One day a census will be done and ,wow, will the Ibos cry a river of blood! lol

Onlytruth:

Sure, the country "is urs". lol. Why anyone wastes their time conversing with u is really beyond me! Aint nobody I see talking bout running away with the Oil wells but the Ibos, so wut the hell u talking bout?! Psycho!

Onlytruth:

As usual steal everything for the Ibos! Liar! That is an age old Gaelic proverb, u lying mongrel. Clearly, u've been dying for an opportunity to use it for a minute now. Clap for urself u finally did. Only one problem dude: YOU USED IT IN THE WRONG FREAKING CONTEXT!!!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 2:20am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth is a psycho lmfao hahahaha
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 2:58am On Jun 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

Onlytruth is a psycho lmfao hahahaha

hehehe! grin I'm only a Genius! cool

If Igbo had my type anywhere near leadership positions in 1950s and 60s, the Awos of this world would have been effectively neutralized. For one, he would have died in jail in Calabar. 1951 was enough lesson.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 3:24am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

hehehe! grin I'm only a Genius! cool

If Igbo had my type anywhere near leadership positions in 1950s and 60s, the Awos of this world would have been effectively neutralized. For one, he would have died in jail in Calabar. 1951 was enough lesson.

grin grin grin grin grin

Now this is what I am talking about!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by tkb417(m): 8:05am On Jun 07, 2010
hehehe! I'm only a Genius!

a genius on the internet; a self proclaimed one for that matter

AWO would have been effectively neutralised if Igbos had your type in 50s?
Now, that they have your type, what have you done in ur L.G.A?

hehehehe

na wa o
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 9:11am On Jun 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

mind naming any famous Ones?

He didn't say Igbos had famous Entrepreneus. You're fond of misquoting people.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AzukaO(m): 11:39am On Jun 07, 2010
Was Awo great? Yes.

Was he the greatest to the Yorubas? Yes.

Was he the greatest to other Nigerians? Big No. (I prefer Gani Fawehinmi for his consistent sacrifice and defence of Nigerians no matter their ethnicity or religion, etc)

Now, can we talk about how to solve our problems as a nation and stop all this clannish pettiness.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Jun 07, 2010
Azuka.O:

Was Awo great? Yes.

Was he the greatest to other Nigerians? Big No. (I prefer Gani Fawehinmi for his consistent sacrifice and defence of Nigerians no matter their ethnicity or religion, etc)

Now, can we talk about how to solve our problems as a nation and stop all this clannish pettiness.

Well said,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by akigbemaru: 5:27pm On Jun 07, 2010
Azuka.O:

Was Awo great? Yes.

Not well said ooo, if you compared Gani to Awo, you are silly. They had different roles they played. But Awo's legacy speeds 10, 000 miles ahead of Gani. You "Ibos" like to come up with your silly bantering when you know the obvious truth that Awo stands tall either among Yorubas or his contemporaries!

If you Ibo people hate Awolowo, because of very good advice he gave, I guess you are insignificant in this equation. Because, you are just only 20 percent of what constituted BIAFRA. The 80 percent loves him, I am talking about Efiks, Ibibio, Ijaws and e.t.c.
Ijaws are 16 million strong today and would not play a second fiddle in present naija situation.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 6:19pm On Jun 07, 2010
akigbemaru:

Not well said ooo, if you compared Gani to Awo, you are silly. They had different roles they played. But Awo's legacy speeds 10, 000 miles ahead of Gani. You "Ibos" like to come up with your silly bantering when you know the obvious truth that Awo stands tall either among Yorubas or his contemporaries!

If you Ibo people hate Awolowo, because of very good advice he gave, I guess you are insignificant in this equation. Because, you are just only 20 percent of what constituted BIAFRA. The 80 percent loves him, I am talking about Efiks, Ibibio, Ijaws and e.t.c.
Ijaws are 16 million strong today and would not play a second fiddle in present naija situation.

Igbos were only 20% of Biafra? Wrong

More like 75%

And Efiks and Ibibio love him, that is a flat out lie and I would know since I am half Efik/Ibibio so enough with your nonsense. You cannot tell me what my own people think.

Ijaws are only 10 million compared to upwards of 40 million + Igbos.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:32pm On Jun 07, 2010
The lesson of Obafemi Awolowo is one which every young Igbo should learn. I will summarize that lesson:

There is nothing like the "Nigerian interest".

Awolowo killed that in 1951.

He killed Nigeria BEFORE it had a chance to be.

The dangerous part is his evil legacy; a legacy which shape an invidious and recidivistic mindset resulting in a situation whereby a Nigerian from the west cannot be trusted by other Nigerians unlike before 1951. A legacy which makes complete nonsense of promises, agreements, conventions, and contracts. On three solid occasions, Awolowo proved that words are only weapons that must be used to snare the unsuspecting enemy. The Nigeria that came to be after carpet crossing of 1951 was a dead horse. That dead horse had other opportunities to be revived, but alas Awolowo kept double dealing until he completed his mission in 1971.

For me, the biggest strategic mistake by Nigeria (and I would blame the Eastern leaders for that as well), was ever allowing Awolowo to see the light of day after his imprisonment in Calabar. His  survival, and his eventual coming into relevance again, was as a result of Igbo leadership inability to accept realities, but instead to always see things from an unrealistic progressive angles even when there are no basis for that.

I see that even in this forum. I'm not saying that you should not trust Yorubas. Just know that until "Awoism" is exorcised from them, we must see their politicians in light of Awo's antecedents.
Nothing more, nothing less.  cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 6:44pm On Jun 07, 2010
Ijaws are not up to 10 million.
2 million in Bayelsa.
5 hundred thousand in Rivers state
4 hundred thousand in Delta state.
40 thousand in Ondo state.
15 thousand in Lagos state.
200 thousand in other Nigeria cities.
Do the maths and tell me how they number up to 10 million. Perhaps someone is counting the fishes in the creeks as well.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by tkb417(m): 6:45pm On Jun 07, 2010
AWO must have been a god when he was alive cos even in death people wont stop talking about him

cant see any thread on tafawa balewa, zik and co
why? anybody with a reason?

hehehehe, the more people talk about him, the more you people indirectly assert that he was the greatest!!!

continue hating, history can not be re-written on Nairaland grin grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:48pm On Jun 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

2 million in Bayelsa.
Do the maths and tell me how they number up to 10 million. Perhaps someone is counting the fishes in the creeks as well.

Thank you Andre. You should know that guy by now. He is a product of what I'm talking about.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 6:48pm On Jun 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

2 million in Bayelsa.

Hehehehe

That was a just a rough estimate on my part.

All I know is that their population is quite small in the grander scheme of things.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Jun 07, 2010

Tafawa Balewa and Azikwe were mainly figureheads.

Tafawa Balewa was the stooge while Ahmadu Bello was the brain. Azikwe was just a confused man who stood for nothing and fell for everything
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:58pm On Jun 07, 2010
tkb417:

AWO must have been a god when he was alive cos even in death people wont stop talking about him

hehehehe, the more people talk about him, the more you people indirectly assert that he was the greatest!!!

continue hating, history can not be re-written on Nairaland grin grin grin

In a funny and twisted way, you are right! He single handedly shaped a failed state. We had a chance but he killed that chance, all in his schemes to unfairly give you the upper hand. In all his "wisdom", it never occurred to him that the Yoruba could have continued to lead Nigeria in progressive ideology like what obtained before 1951.

He polluted Yoruba land and damaged Nigeria for ever.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2010
EzeUche:

Hehehehe

That was a just a rough estimate on my part.

All I know is that their population is quite small in the grander scheme of things.
Ijaws are approximately 5 million.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

He polluted Yoruba land and damaged Nigeria for ever.

And in 2010, oJUku decided to fix things by endorsing a Known murderous and corrupt General as President; after being bribed of course! What the Ibos will do for money!

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (27) (Reply)

NDA Attack Mastermind Escapes As Troops Gun Down Deputy, Others / PDP Presidential Campaign In Maiduguri (Video, Pictures) / Children Were Eating Leftovers During An Event Where Ebonyi Launched An Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.