Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,449 members, 7,971,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 12:58 PM

Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss (43922 Views)

Wife's Phone Searched & All Contacts Deleted By Her Boss, Can I Sue Or Not? / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This / Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by wildkat: 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2018
dominique:
The mom actually sounded condescending and entitled. A simple apology for her continued absence from work could have melted the boss's heart. Businesses are not run on emotions, sorry to say. Her son is on life support, there's nothing she can do for him other than sitting there and watching him sleep. Why not while away time by getting some work done, it will even help clear her head a bit. This might sound cold but I'm with the boss on this one.

You just said it all. You've got brains

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by obailala(m): 1:45pm On Jul 03, 2018
erico2k2:

There is such thing AS entitlement to be off work, Something we do not have in Nigeria but the western world had recognised long ago hence laws are in place to protect employer and employee rights at work. Each company has its own policy as to how they manage absent from work. We are not talking about AWOL here.
Yeah but even in the western world, remember that those entitlements have a definite limit; you mentioned that the company you work for allows you a full year sick leave entitlement with full pay, but the organization I work for allows me only a month with full pay, and there are several organizations out there in the UK which would only permit 8 days on full pay. At the end, it all depends on the policy of the organization you work for, and the discretion/humaneness of the ogas on top.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by proffemi: 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2018
I'm with the boss on this.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Etianwanokon: 1:53pm On Jul 03, 2018
Life first. Supposing it was the Bosses son? Will he say the same thing? He is insensitive
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 1:57pm On Jul 03, 2018
obailala:
Yeah but even in the western world, remember that those entitlements have a definite limit; you mentioned that the company you work for allows you a full year sick leave entitlement with full pay, but the organization I work for allows me only a month with full pay, and there are several organizations out there in the UK which would only permit 8 days on full pay. At the end, it all depends on the policy of the organization you work for, and the discretion/humaneness of the ogas on top.
You also forgot you have 28 weeks SSP by law,. Yes some companies have 1 month sick pay .Some contractors in my Yard are of this too 1 month, they too have SSP, if that finishes you are signed off work either way you get paid something. I get one day added to sick pay and annual leave every other year.so it grows. But I don't take the P***SS.I have been know not to take sick leave for more than 4 years.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by APL33: 2:23pm On Jul 03, 2018
webincomeplus:

I think what the boss meant was that the son is already receiving the best of care and attention, hence no need for the mother to be with him for a long stretch of time.

But all the same, it's an insensitive statement.

Its not that insensitive. She isn't a doctor or a nurse. He has been accommodating missed shift for sometime. I don't think there's any leave, taken for ur loved ones. She could take a leave if she is still entitled to one.
Plus, does she wants to be paid in full, if she doesn't work for the whole month?
THERES SYMPATHY AND THERES BAD MANAGEMENT.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Jbleenk: 2:24pm On Jul 03, 2018
Mikel Obi's dad was kidnapped but that didn't stop Mikel from doing his job against Argentina.

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by obailala(m): 2:31pm On Jul 03, 2018
erico2k2:

You also forgot you have 28 weeks SSP by law,. Yes some companies have 1 month sick pay .Some contractors in my Yard are of this too 1 month, they too have SSP, if that finishes you are signed off work either way you get paid something. I get one day added to sick pay and annual leave every other year.so it grows. But I don't take the P***SS.I have been know not to take sick leave for more than 4 years.
I mentioned the 28 weeks ssp in my first response to you.

Coming back to the OP, I think both the boss and the woman are in the wrong. As most little companies in Nigeria do not have a sick leave policy, the boss permitting the woman some time off is a decision to be taken purely at his discretion. This isnt even a case of a sick employee, but rather an ill relative of an employee.

From the tone of the conversation, the woman seemed to speak arrogantly with a weird sense of entitlement; she clearly didnt sound like one seeking a favour. The boss on the other hand didn't sound caring or sympathetic; he seemed to doubt the woman's honesty. Truth of the matter here is that business has to go on, we don't know the full story; the lady might even have already been away from work for an extended period. Whether it is Nigeria, or the developed world, there is always a limit to which leave entitlements or discretionary holidays can last.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by lilyheaven: 2:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
jomoh:
Wow

Your son is in the best place he can be......on life support.
The mother will just be there crying up and down.
She won't be doing anything there but to cry.
Is better for her to go work, keep herself busy with that she can forget some of her sorrows.
But,
Is not easy to let go of a child when his having ordinary headache let alone on a life support.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Liftedhands(f): 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
Quit the job madam!!! God knows I won't tie somebody's business down and will be a cold day in hell for me to leave my son's side when in life support.

Job I can get again but my baby needs me more! And I'll never forgive myself should I leave and return to meet him gone angry
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by lilyheaven: 2:40pm On Jul 03, 2018
BleSSedMee:

You're right yeah.

But you know people are wired differently. She wears the shoes and knows where it hurts most.

The boss is in the clear.

She (mom) has played the sentiments card and I see her getting lotsa help.
That is why
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by lilyheaven: 2:42pm On Jul 03, 2018
DIKEnaWAR:
I see people using their brains here and asking the necessary questions.

My own question here is; how does Buhari continue to hold the office of the President whenever he goes on life support in the UK, and yet we allow him?
grin grin
Because he is the Boss
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Donbrown28: 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2018
am with the boss, even the manner at which she wote a message wasn't so polite..
It have an element of rudeness...
The child need human support and God cure..
The mother need not to leave the job, with out having a specific time frame..
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by blesoh(f): 3:33pm On Jul 03, 2018
The lady feel so entitled, so she doesn't have any one to stay with the son while she's at work?
The tone was just too high
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:44pm On Jul 03, 2018
rottennaija:

The man can have the luxury of going to work while his son or daughter is sick. Because the wife will be there. But not so with the woman... It is completely different.
this is why no one wants to hire women
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2018
I was on life support for 2weeks,one time and my mum was with me till I woke up.Part of the reason why I recovered fast after coming out of life support was because she was there,i dunno.Different strokes for different folks .Alot of mother's will tow the same path,there is no way one would be at rest being far away from her child which is on life support.if worst comes,its better she see him die
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2018
Caracta:
She wouldn’t be emotionally stable at work. What if things get messed up because she couldn’t concentrate? Come on...that child means more to her than the job. What if she has no one to keep an eye on the child and follow up with the nurses? No husband, no friend, no relative? I don’t know her story. I can’t judge her.

I had an accident May this year on my way to work. My husband was driving on the freeway and we lost control at a ramp. After the accident, while waiting for the ambulance, I called my boss to give him heads-up and he asked if I could walk, I said ‘yes’. He told me to get Uber and get my asss off to work, as a client was waiting for me and was getting impatient. Such a mean selfish creature!
if the child is more important she should quit
can't eat your cake and have it
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:49pm On Jul 03, 2018
clevadani:
This is sad.
Nobody plans to fall sick and when it happens, it is no one's fault.
We should learn to be human beings first before anything else.
being human won't pay bills
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 4:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
webincomeplus:

I think what the boss meant was that the son is already receiving the best of care and attention, hence no need for the mother to be with him for a long stretch of time.

But all the same, it's an insensitive statement.
exactly. She being there will not make d boy recover any faster. All she'll be doing is sitting down by the side doing nothing.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 4:14pm On Jul 03, 2018
BleSSedMee:

Right or wrong, the employer is only protecting her business interests.

BUT

A mother's heart is with her child. She knows the condition the child is, hence her plea for understanding from her boss.

Since the boss is having none of it, let her face front. She'll get help I know.

but she won't be doing anything in the hospital except sit and watch as doctors and nurses come and go. She being there 24/7 won't make the boy recover faster.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 4:19pm On Jul 03, 2018
rottennaija:

The man can have the luxury of going to work while his son or daughter is sick. Because the wife will be there. But not so with the woman... It is completely different.
so she is to keep being paid while others do her work? What exactly is she doing in d hospital other than sitting and thinking her life away while doctors come and go to check on her sleeping son? There's really nothing she can do in the hospital. If she wants to help her son, she should be working to be able to raise money to pay her son's medical bills while also using work to clear her head and remain strong for the boy when he wakes up. It might sound cold but believe me, it's the best she can do.

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by dru23(m): 4:20pm On Jul 03, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
if the child is more important she should quit
can't eat your cake and have it

This is a warning : I am letting all the uber partners / taxify partners out there to known. Mr. Kingsley my former driver is owing over 70k not including damages to me.. Partners you need to be aware of this guy o ..He has a great deal of damage to my car .. We have been calling him to pay and he has not paid. He promise to pay ,he keeps avoid our call.. We waited over a month for him to pay.. He stated that he will pay this week and only for him not to answer his phone.. The accident above occured two months ago .. He stated that according to him that a trailer hit him from the back ..which of course it's a bloody lie , my guess is that he either hit something or he fell asleep and hit the trailer.. Either which way be very careful when dealing with him ..He claims to be a born again ,but all that na wash ...partners be on the look out ... I will soon post his drivers lincense pictures for now this is number 0908 452 9351
[b][/b]
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by SaintChukz(m): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2018
rottennaija:

And what will she be able to do in her office with such an emotional state? Besides, there are a big if in your statement. Nothing in the chat reveals the situation is in the US.

Besides, what is the current state of health of the child? There are so many big if in your statement which does not account for the situation in ground

Nope...your'e wrong about the bolded. The scenario is definitely and most likey in the US. Just take a second look at the screenshot properly...you'll see at the top left phone network displaying Verizon.

1. I know very well that Verizion is a network provider in the US.

2. Again the lady started the chat with Hi...*name of boss* (Even though that portion was blurred out...you could still make sense of it). It is only in a clime like that(US) you would have a subordinate being on first name basis with her superior. If it was down here...the salutation would have started with Hi...Sir/Madam or Mr/Mrs not the name of your supposedly superior colleague at work.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2018
obailala:
I mentioned the 28 weeks ssp in my first response to you.

Coming back to the OP, I think both the boss and the woman are in the wrong. As most little companies in Nigeria do not have a sick leave policy, the boss permitting the woman some time off is a decision to be taken purely at his discretion. This isnt even a case of a sick employee, but rather an ill relative of an employee.

From the tone of the conversation, the woman seemed to speak arrogantly with a weird sense of entitlement; she clearly didnt sound like one seeking a favour. The boss on the other hand didn't sound caring or sympathetic; he seemed to doubt the woman's honesty. Truth of the matter here is that business has to go on, we don't know the full story; the lady might even have already been away from work for an extended period. Whether it is Nigeria, or the developed world, there is always a limit to which leave entitlements or discretionary holidays can last.
The company is not in Nigeria cos of the words used..I'm sure you will agree with me in the Uk no matter the situation you cant talk to your staff like that even if you own the company, if U fire them and they can bring proof of what they are saying, you are in a big pay out suit. More so the govt repays you the SSP you pay to staff so there is no financial loss as your NI contribution goes low at the advantage of the employer.
Moving forward The employer is insensitive, he could offer more time off work for the lady but remind her of salary instead of trying to pressurize her to return to work.
If she was one of my staff, I would put her on Leave and inform her bout SSP
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 4:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
SaintChukz:

Nope...your'e wrong about the bolded. The scenario is definitely and most likey in the US. Just take a second look at the screenshot properly...you'll see at the top left phone network displaying Verizon.

2. Again the lady started the chat with Hi...*name of boss* (Even though that portion was blurred out...you could still make sense of it). It is only in a clime like that(US) you would have a subordinate being on first name basis with her superior. If it was down here...the salutation would have started with Hi...Sir/Madam or Mr/Mrs not the name of your supposedly superior colleague at work.
Spot on , its the USA.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 4:39pm On Jul 03, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
so she is to keep being paid while others do her work? What exactly is she doing in d hospital other than sitting and thinking her life away while doctors come and go to check on her sleeping son? There's really nothing she can do in the hospital. If she wants to help her son, she should be working to be able to raise money to pay her son's medical bills while also using work to clear her head and remain strong for the boy when he wakes up. It might sound cold but believe me, it's the best she can do.
How do you know the medical Bills are not free
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by rottennaija(m): 5:08pm On Jul 03, 2018
SaintChukz:

That I didn't see. I was focused on the chat
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by DaCharis2016: 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2018
I think the mom was right. She asked him if he could go to work if it was his child sick as hers, can he still make it to work? So far the child needs someone in the hospital together with him, because the woman is working to sustain the child's life in health and education.

Moreover, the best person in position to stay with a child in the hospital is the mother.
pp802:
As painful as it may seem, the boss is right anyways!

How will she get money to pay for the hospital bills if she doesn't go to work. The son is being taking care of in the hospital. What difference will she make if she stays in the hospital with him? Is she the doc or the nurse?

I know some emotional people will support her, but hey.........how do you pay bills if you don't work?
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Pentools(m): 5:27pm On Jul 03, 2018
Angy55:

Your boss is a perfect description of mine back then in my NYSC days. You dare not miss a day out of work even as a youth Corper. Miss a day and 2k would be removed from the stipend they are paying you.
Funny enough the boss is a she, she expects you to come to work even on critical health condition. After 4 months I applied for another PPA and left because I couldn't bear it any more.
I can't kill myself because I'm serving Nigeria, when the leaders don't value human lives.

Omo same thing happened in my NYSC too, but I shock the man, cus his own be say he can owe his staff for Africa and still expect me to obey abi na answer the clarion call both under the sun and in the rain.

It wasn't easy, but I gave him an unforgettable/memorable experience as a corper, I guess he would always get nervous anytime he sees a corper or come across my name.

Bottomline is if u can't stand the hit stay off the kitchen. 99% of Nigeria work lacks that befitting and sane working environment.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by vikstandon(m): 5:49pm On Jul 03, 2018
The boss isn't wrong neither is the woman right with words but all nah understanding.
The woman goes wrong without pleas...a soft words melts down the meanest soul.

I won't be surprise to hear another episode of this... My boss is mean to me, cos I didn't consent to his sexual advances.

I bet her speaking with Corporate might worsen her matter and process her Exit sooner... Hey! Ma'am pleas can buy you time.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by GrammarCheck: 6:06pm On Jul 03, 2018
http://amp.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article214251444.html

The full story here.
The manager has been sacked by the owners of the company.

The woman has been given time off till her son recuperates.

It all happened in yankee

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by swintiney: 6:30pm On Jul 03, 2018
I see people that seem they don't understand what Life Support is! Do you guys think Life Support is beach party or picnic? Even ladies also blamed the woman, what input do you expect her to make at work under that situation and for God's sake what generation are we in?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Sets Himself Ablaze In Gombe Over Buhari's Rejection Of Peace Corps Bill / What Skills Have You Learnt That Can Earn You Money? / A Physically Challenged Person Hustling Real Hard Under The Sun In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.