Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,197 members, 7,873,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:24 PM

To Rebuild Or To Replace? - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Rebuild Or To Replace? (24301 Views)

Small Nyash... The Rebuild/restoration / How To Rebuild A Honda Accord 1999 V6 Rack And Pinion Steering Gear / Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54am On Aug 25, 2018
oluwaseunla:
I've been following both sides, picking up a few lessons. I think there are no hard and fast rules. Each case should be treated on its own merit.

Price of engines, availability of low mileage engines(which can be confirmed by the vin tags riveted on the engines at point of purchase), mileage of present engine, extent of damage of present engine are a few things to consider.

Some engines are available for dirt cheap, it won't be worth the price of a rebuild. Irrespective of belief, there is very little that will likely go wrong in an engine that has done less than 10,000 miles being sold as used (Again, history of cars the used engine came from can be verified at point of purchase).

Flip side, some engines are crazily expensive that a rebuild is a more viable option, if it can be done properly, like those crazy Korean vehicles when engine is more expensive than the used car.

Everyman to his own, you people will likely never agree to the other person's point of view, because each process has been tested by each party to work well for them.

Rebuild or replace? Ultimately a judgement call.

Now I have nothing against rebuilds, but when only 3 major items out of many engine parts will be replaced @ the total cost of a low mileage engine is why I had to speak up. engines are made up of more than just crankshaft, oilpump and bearings sir.
there are a lot more parts that have suffered wear and tear and they will not be replaced for under 140,000 worth of parts.

This Particular Rebuild is good for business.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:54am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

@ the bolded the engine needs a lot more. @ over 250,000miles ma.

Detail what 140,000 will replace, and then let's see if it is worth it.

Where do you keep getting that figure from? Plus I've done that quite a few times already. Go back and read. And no, the Pistons were not included because they didn't need change. Go back and read what when EgunMogaji explained to you saving me the trouble.

It is worth it to the customer because the customer has a 6 month warranty on parts and labor. Remember the customer? This is about them.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:56am On Aug 25, 2018
weyreypey:

Well said. A smoking R class engine....na rebuild get am...but for an M111 replacement straight

This then brings to question, was it worth it for the client long term in this case?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:56am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
piston 200,000miles

Piston rings. 200,000miles

Valve stem seals 200,000miles

Timing chain 200,000miles

Timing chain guards 200,000miles

Water pump 200,000miles

Powersteering pump 200,000miles

egr 200,000miles

crankshaft remanufactured 00miles

Crankshaft bearings 00miles

Oil pump 00miles

Rebuild complete 6months warranty.

OR

Everything 18,000-36,000miles??

Again, where are you getting 200,000 miles from? Also, please tell me how you will verify in this country your low mileage engine claim.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:58am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Where do you keep getting that figure from? Plus I've done that quite a few times already. Go back and read. And no, the Pistons were not included because they didn't need change. Go back and read what when EgunMogaji explained to you saving me the trouble.

It is worth it to the customer because the customer has a 6 month warranty on parts and labor. Remember the customer?. This is about them.

The Customer Had the Car for almost 7years @ 106,000miles. Would be nice if you could place another engine @ 106,000 miles and he gets another 7years wink
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:58am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
This is Cartalk and we are here to learn about cars.

engines are not designed to last forever, but with proper care engines will go over 300,000miles without any major engine work.

the Toyota Corrola 2002- 2007 has an extremely sturdy build, I have seen them running at over 270,000miles on their original engines and on full synthetic oil without oil burn or engine rattles.

Case study above is a toyota corrolla 2004, came into the country around 2011 @ 106,541miles

clean bill of engine health judging by its service records in the USA.

Let's say between 2011-2018 car covered 30,000miles every year, current mileage would be (7 x 30,000) plus 210,000miles.

Ok let's say 20,000miles every year (7 x 20,000) plus 140,000miles

So we can comfortably say current mileage of vehicle is about 106,541miles plus between 210,000 - 140,000miles. Let's just assume 250,000miles.

Now the question is. What is best for the client?

a proper full rebuild?

Or a lowmileage under 36,000miles engine which is even much lower than the mileage of the car when it came into the country.

Food for thought

thanks computerglobal for the speedy Vin report as usual

as I said, this is Cartalk, demeanors what do you think?

Note the corrola will not receive a full rebuild, but certain faulty parts will be replaced.

Ah, I see. You're assuming it still has the same engine in it as when it arrived. What is that saying about assuming?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:59am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Again, where are you getting 200,000 miles from? Also, please tell me how you will verify in this country your low mileage engine claim.

Very easy, same way I ran the plates and got the Vin of the corrola you pasted.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Alert! Alert!! Alert!!!

A call to arms by the replace gang

It seemed the rebuild gang was gaining too much traction

and so the replace gang decided to regroup and attack from the rear

This story is far from over yet

ROFL
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:00am On Aug 25, 2018
oluwaseunla:
I've been following both sides, picking up a few lessons. I think there are no hard and fast rules. Each case should be treated on its own merit.

Price of engines, availability of low mileage engines(which can be confirmed by the vin tags riveted on the engines at point of purchase), mileage of present engine, extent of damage of present engine are a few things to consider.

Some engines are available for dirt cheap, it won't be worth the price of a rebuild. Irrespective of belief, there is very little that will likely go wrong in an engine that has done less than 10,000 miles being sold as used (Again, history of cars the used engine came from can be verified at point of purchase).

Flip side, some engines are crazily expensive that a rebuild is a more viable option, if it can be done properly, like those crazy Korean vehicles when engine is more expensive than the used car.

Everyman to his own, you people will likely never agree to the other person's point of view, because each process has been tested by each party to work well for them.

Rebuild or replace? Ultimately a judgement call.

Exactly my point. We presented both options and owner chose this so I'm not quite sure what team replace is up in arms about. We were quite clear on what we were going to do to the car to the owner.

My peeve is team replace wants to be judge and jury for the customer. We don't.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:03am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Exactly my point. We presented both options and owner chose this so I'm not quite sure what team replace is up in arms about. We were quite clear on what we were going to do to the car to the owner.

My peeve is team replace wants to be judge and jury for the customer. We don't.

We choose based on information available to us.

he did not have enough information to make a proper decision.

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

@ the bolded the engine needs a lot more. @ over 250,000miles ma.

Detail what 140,000 will replace, and then let's see if it is worth it.

I can’t say you’re guessing because god knows what your eyes have seen BUT if Madam is backing her work with a warranty then all is well.

The only person who knows what that engine really needs is the mechanic that did the diagnostic and peeled the lump apart.

Madam warranty is actually quite good. I’m set on 1 month, 1,000 miles so far but that may change.

Are you guys familiar with the concept of short and long blocks?
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by oluwaseunla(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Ladipo market has some deep secrets. Only the initiates know it. grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:05am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Now I have nothing against rebuilds, but when only 3 major items out of many engine parts will be replaced @ the total cost of a low mileage engine is why I had to speak up. engines are made up of more than just crankshaft, oilpump and bearings sir.
there are a lot more parts that have suffered wear and tear and they will not be replaced for under 140,000 worth of parts.

This Particular Rebuild is good for business.

Again. 6 month warranty. Husband's been doing this over 20 years. We don't warranty if we can't back it. Parts were inspected and found okay. If they go bad it's 100% our cost both parts and labor so what exactly is the issue? Also, nowhere did I say we were doing a full on rebuild. I was very clear on my initial post what the engine needed.

Again, this is about the customer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:07am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

We choose based on information available to us.

he did not have enough information to make a proper decision.

Please tell me what information he was missing.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:08am On Aug 25, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Ladipo market has some deep secrets. Only the initiates know it. grin cheesy grin

Thank you and that is something we'd rather not deal with. When we use something, the world sees what we are using. There are no dark deep secrets

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by evilspirit: 8:08am On Aug 25, 2018
I may not like gazzuzz attitude but I rather take my car to his workshop for engine replacement thank use 100k as labor for a rebuild.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by oluwaseunla(m): 8:11am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Thank you and that is something we'd rather not deal with. When we use something, the world sees what we are using. There are no dark secrets

Not dark ma'am, deep. grin cheesy. Deep doesn't make it dark ma.

That's by the way. Do you guys have access to car parts of European vehicles or you do strictly American. If you can get me some engine parts for one Peugeot like that, I can name my next baby Radu. You'll save me the stress of importing from Europe.

I will shoot you a mail with details.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
what are they remanufacture in a crankshaft?

Weld, grind, polish, shot peen, wedge, oil passages, etc, etc
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:16am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Again. 6 month warranty. Husband's been doing this over 20 years. We don't warranty if we can't back it. Parts were inspected and found okay. If they go bad it's 100% our cost both parts and labor so what exactly is the issue? Also, nowhere did I say we were doing a full on rebuild. I was very clear on my initial post what the engine needed.

Again, this is about the customer

Fake parts will last more than 6months (not saying your parts are fake) But a mildly used engine is this case will not even require a warranty.
The engine is the warranty it's self straight from manufacturer, and yeah I've been doing it on this platform and no threads yet on a failed engine after over 5years.

If the car can come in @ 106,000 miles and engine dies @ 250,000miles after 7years then a 106,000miles replacement engine will have a natural 7year warranty and over 150,000miles to go.

And yes we give over 1year warranty on replaced engines only if you service with us, using the right oils.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:18am On Aug 25, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Weld, grind, polish, shot peen, wedge, oil passages, etc, etc

Excellent. After all this How much is the Crankshaft.

Aunty Radu biko help us here.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:18am On Aug 25, 2018
evilspirit:
I may not like gazzuzz attitude but I rather take my car to his workshop for engine replacement thank use 100k as labor for a rebuild.

Which is fair enough. At the end of the day, it's your choice. We just put our faith in our product not other people's plain and simple.

We understand the labor concept will be hard because it's not what you're used to but it takes 20.2 hours for the crankshaft on that car and 14.6 for the engine replacement. That's why the labor is what it is. If you notice, that's just a 30k difference in labor.

If he wants to work at a labor rate of N2,500 per hour, more power to him. Our labor rate is N5,000 and it's dirt cheap for what we do.

Like I said, we are 100% transparent.

notice also that the crankshaft is an A level skill while the engine replace is a B level skill.. we really should charge more for labor but don't.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 25, 2018
evilspirit:

This is the beauty of a free society.

Consumers and businesses win when there are customers making informed choices.

What Madam said earlier resonated with me, that’s it’s the customers choice. We forget that sometimes.

It can’t be said better than that.

I think.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:20am On Aug 25, 2018
oluwaseunla:

Not dark ma'am, deep. grin cheesy. Deep doesn't make it dark ma.

That's by the way. Do you guys have access to car parts of European vehicles or you do strictly American. If you can get me some engine parts for one Peugeot like that, I can name my next baby Radu. You'll save me the stress of importing from Europe.

I will shoot you a mail with details.

Peugeot is one brand we have zero experience with because they are not in USA.

3 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:22am On Aug 25, 2018
Guys if you can Pay 100k to replace parts on a 1zz I'm game o!
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Wait a minute.

I’m not saying all crankshafts need that. This particular cshaft may not need more than a good cleaning if it hasn’t spun in the bearings.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:24am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Fake parts will last more than 6months (not saying your parts are fake) But a mildly used engine is this case will not even require a warranty.
The engine is the warranty it's self straight from manufacturer, and yeah I've been doing it on this platform and no threads yet on a failed engine after over 5years.

If the car can come in @ 106,000 miles and engine dies @ 250,000miles after 7years then a 106,000miles replacement engine will have a natural 7year warranty and over 150,000miles to go.

And yes we give over 1year warranty on replaced engines only if you service with us, using the right oils.

We don't force people to use our services to get our warranty. If we did a good job, as long as they don't abuse their car, their warranty is good. We have no caveats. There is no consistent source of low mileage engines in the country we trust. Can we bring some in? Yes, but again, it's not worth it for the customer

2 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by thebigkendo(m): 8:24am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Oya floor is re-open

Cc Banky3w, chukel, computerglobal, Diportivo, EgunMogaji, erico2k2, honmusa, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, oluwaseunla, Princetom1, thebigkendo, timifakay, kingreign, opusdei1 Shagati, piyke, Kashif,
oblo, HonMusa, Ipfreely, Kingreign, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, Princetom1, thebigkendo, Timifakay

GAZZUZZ:

My supply price is 220k. You will also need a new radiator, Toyota coolant , transmission oil, engine oil (full synthetic mobil 5w30), filter, C.V joint Grease, C.V joint clips and possibly a new serpentine belt power steering oil, and labour charge. Duration is 5working days.

Total cost will not be disclosed here.

08033910382 .

Using the above estimate, let's say approximately 300k + 35k labour + Gazzuzz mobil 1 warrantee = 330k
Aunty Radu rebuild +parts(engine oil, coolant, crankshaft, oil pump, bearing, gaskets etc) + 6month warrantee = 240k

Kazeem will probably do engine +labour +water in radiator = 180-200k with a week warrantee grin grin

330k - 240k = 90k
90k is alot of money mehn.. I will go with radautoworks mehn
300k is my confortable limit for engine life so with our assumed 250k miles on the corolla
I Still have 50k miles to go.. Which is like 2 - 3 years

Radautoworks for me..

4 Likes

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by oluwaseunla(m): 8:24am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

Peugeot is one brand we have zero experience with because they are not in USA.

Phew, you just broke my heart. cry cry cry
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:27am On Aug 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Using the above estimate, let's say approximately 300k + 35k labour + Gazzuzz mobil 1 warrantee = 330k
Aunty Radu rebuild +parts(engine oil, coolant, crankshaft, oil pump, bearing, gaskets etc) + 6month warrantee = 240k

Kazeem will probably do engine +labour +water in radiator = 180-200k with a week warrantee grin grin

330k - 240k = 90k
300k is my confortable limit for engine life so with our assumed 250k miles on the corolla

Radautoworks for me..

Uber drivers do 5,000miles in 4weeks. try again sir.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:29am On Aug 25, 2018
radautoworks:

We don't force people to use our services to get our warranty. If we did a good job, as long as they don't abuse their car, their warranty is good. We have no caveats. There is no consistent source of low mileage engines in the country we trust. Can we bring some in? Yes, but again, it's not worth it for the customer

Excellent. I can be of help there.

1 Like

Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by oluwaseunla(m): 8:29am On Aug 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

330k - 240k = 90k

Radautoworks for me..

That is on the assumption that your engine needs only a crankshaft and oil pump. That is why I said extent of damage is also a factor.
Re: To Rebuild Or To Replace? by radautoworks: 8:30am On Aug 25, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Retail is N95,626 but I'm obviously not telling you our cost. Or did you forget we are a Carquest?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crankshaft-rebuilders-remanufactured-crankshaft-kit-29620/20950159-P?searchTerm=Engine+Crankshaft+Kit

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

The Nuisance Of Splashing Water On Pedestrains During Rain By Car Drivers / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) / The Most Common Problems With Mercedes-benz Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.