Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,962 members, 7,949,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 04:02 AM

Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure (7800 Views)

Calabar-ugep-ogoja-katsina Ala Road- Another GEJ Project Buhari Takes Credit / Top 10 'dodgy' Contracts Awarded Under Brf In Lagos State / Lagos Flood: PDP Demands BRF'S Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 9:04pm On Jul 15, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

This is not only seen in Lagos but across Nigeria because our POLITICIANS/LEADERS take kickbacks thereby forcing contractors to invest only 5% of the amount billed for the project on it.

For those posting pictures of sinkholes in the West, did they even ask for the ages of those roads?. Must we measure all our failures with the we

st?. Can't we set the pace sometimes?. Looking at the one in Lagos, one can easily tell that they were  built with a substandard materials. The road is not thick enough to withstand common harmattan.

I don't like the idea of abusing Fashola tho but he should make sure he probes the project and hold the contractors accountable unless he has skeletons in his cupboard pertaining to the contract.

God bless you my brother - I just can stand some fools who come here to defend the indefensible it is so clear that the foundation was not right for a high usage road. For God sake what do u expect when you build on clay. I  have seen roads been built the latest one being the M25 in the u.k and i  can confirm that i saw concrete being poured in metal casing rods  and this was the foundation before tar was poured on top.  Using clay as foundation is so common in Nigeria and very cheap for a contractor trying to cut corners and any slight rain the road washes way.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by tpiah: 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2010
^^i really think you should quit this thread, because i wonder how you think pouring concrete will prevent a sinkhole?

Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 9:09pm On Jul 15, 2010
For goodness sake it is not a sink hole and it is the Area boy turned Civil engineer cutting corners
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by tpiah: 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2010
^^you sound ridiculous and are totally embarassing yourself.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 9:14pm On Jul 15, 2010
blacksta:

For goodness sake it is not a sink hole and it is the Area boy turned Civil engineer cutting corners

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

-Martin Luther King
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2010
babapupa:

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

-Martin Luther King

Ori oti fokasibe - omo ode
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by oderemo(m): 9:24pm On Jul 15, 2010
becos half a dozen grasshoppers under a fern make field ring with their importunate chink whilst thousands of great cattle reposed beneath the shadow of the british oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field.
EDMUND BURKE.1790
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 9:28pm On Jul 15, 2010
blacksta:

Ori oti fokasibe - omo ode

na so the tin pain you reach?
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 9:28pm On Jul 15, 2010
ode remo:

becos half a dozen grasshoppers under a fern make field ring with their importunate chink whilst thousands of great cattle reposed beneath the shadow of the british oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field.
EDMUND BURKE.1790

u no even dey make sense anymore,
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 9:34pm On Jul 15, 2010
pain me ke ? you must be smoking weed - i wont lose sleep over your crap.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by SkyBlue1: 9:36pm On Jul 15, 2010
blacksta:

What causes sinkholes?

A sinkhole is a large depression in the Earth's surface, often shaped[b] like a well or a funnel[/b], that can be up to several miles in diameter. Sinkholes are [size=15pt]most common[/size] in limestone regions. Underground layers of limestone can be dissolved by groundwater or by seepage from above-ground streams.

http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-finder/earth/what-causes-sinkholes

I have seen a number of sink holes they all look round - The lagos one is not round and is not in a limestone area  it is simply substandard work

What do you understand by the phrase "most common"? Does that mean it can't happen in regions without high concentrations of limestone?
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2010
Sky Blue:

What do you understand by the phrase "most common"? Does that me an it can't happen in regions without high concentrations of limestone?

Why expect more from an obvious illiterate. Prob' don't even know how to read and write,
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by ikeyman00(m): 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2010
@@@@@@@

well speaking for myself!!

im not quite sure what to make-of with some of the so called road in lagos

was there in nov-dec time; drove on it myself esply driving in from east via abi na oshodi; ojota etc

the surface looks rough shocked shocked
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2010
Sky Blue:

What do you understand by the phrase "most common"? Does that mean it can't happen in regions without high concentrations of limestone?

Look Mr Man i am not in denial that a sink hole cant happen in Nigeria but my point was based on the common substandard work called road projects in Nigeria. Analysing the posted picture of the road one can clearly see that it is was built on the wrong type of foundation.  The vast majority of road in Nigeria are built on this type of foundation without proper drainage system and the slightest chance of rain the road washes away.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by blacksta(m): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2010
Please read this

How to Build a Sand Clay Road

by Prof. M. Goode Homes, Department of Civil Engineering,
University of South Carolina

When a sand-clay road is built upon a clay sub-grade, proper drainage is one of the most essential things, for unless the sub-grade of the road is dry and firm the surfacing of sand-clay is sure to break through. Ordinarily side ditches, which must be large enough to carry off all of the water falling on the road, will be sufficient. These side ditches should be wide and shallow, rather than narrow and deep, as thus they will not be hard to keep open nor dangerous to travel. They should be from four to five feet wide and from one to one and a half feet deep, sloping three to one on the side next to the road and down to one on the outer side, and they should have outlets as frequently as possible to carry the water entirely away from the road. When the sub-grade is wet or damp most of the time, or is through swampy land, tile sub-drains should be laid in order to keep the foundation of the road dry and firm. It must be borne in mind that greater care must be exercised to keep the clay sub-grade dry and in the majority of cases of a sub-grade in sandy soil.

more here

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/how.cfm

How much more a tared road
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2010
Aloy_Emeka:

This is not only seen in Lagos but across Nigeria because our POLITICIANS/LEADERS take kickbacks thereby forcing contractors to invest only 5% of the amount billed for the project on it.

For those posting pictures of sinkholes in the West, did they even ask for the ages of those roads?. Must we measure all our failures with the west?. Can't we set the pace sometimes?. Looking at the one in Lagos, one can easily tell that they were built with a substandard materials. The road is not thick enough to withstand common harmattan.

I don't like the idea of abusing Fashola tho but he should make sure he probes the project and hold the contractors accountable unless he has skeletons in his cupboard pertaining to the contract.

Na wa ooo!!
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by ziga: 10:14pm On Jul 15, 2010
ROFLMAO!!!

He he he

With all this popularity - both negative and positive. Its clear to see that there must be something special about Governor Fashola. LOL. . .

Everything that happens in Lagos is always such a big deal.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by ikeyman00(m): 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
no u are wrong

some of those roads are rather questionable
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by ezeagu(m): 8:11pm On Jul 16, 2010
ziga:

Because it's the commercial centre of Nigeria . . . . . . . .
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by philip0906(m): 8:18pm On Jul 16, 2010
that road has been in construction 4 only God knows how many years. . .passed there yesterday and it was blocked.as far as I'm concerned, every thing about d road is substandard
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by bkbabe90(m): 8:25pm On Jul 16, 2010
ziga:

ROFLMAO!!!

He he he

With all this popularity - both negative and positive. Its clear to see that there must be something special about Governor Fashola. LOL. . .

Was about to say the same thing! As far as I understand, Lagos is the most developed part of Nigeria, no? Ok! And it belongs to the Yorubas! Right? And Ibos r always coming on threads telling folks wuts wrong with Lagos, how Lagos can improve ect? Why dont these Ibo men concentrate on their Ibo country? Is that Eastern Nigeria is like the African replica of NY that there's no need for development there anymore? Are the Ibo highways U.S standard? Are their buildings up to par with wut obtains in the Western world? Their way of life? If they've achieved developmental success, then, kudos to them; theyve got every right to criticize anything Yoruba. But, if not, then I suggest they think of putting Televisions in their homes instead of worrying that another man hasnt fenced his.

By the way, aint the Ibos the ones kidnapping any, and every, thing in Nigeria nowadays?!?!?
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 8:32pm On Jul 16, 2010
bk/babe90:

Was about to say the same thing! As far as I understand, Lagos is the most developed part of Nigeria, no? Ok! And it belongs to the Yorubas! Right? And Ibos r always coming on threads telling folks wuts wrong with Lagos, how Lagos can improve ect? Why dont these Ibo men concentrate on their Ibo country? Is that Eastern Nigeria is like the African replica of NY that there's no need for development there anymore? Are the Ibo highways U.S standard? Are their buildings up to par with wut obtains in the Western world? Their way of life? If they've achieved developmental success, then, kudos to them; theyve got every right to criticize anything Yoruba. But, if not, then I suggest they think of putting Televisions in their homes instead of worrying that another man hasnt fenced his.

By the way, aint the Ibos the ones kidnapping any, and every, thing in Nigeria nowadays?!?!?

Very well said.

Their end is crap because they have little or no time to spend on themselves and better their people because they spend so much time worrying about and blaming other people for everything under the sun.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by philip0906(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2010
bk/babe90:

u this bk/babe90(ur name sounds like dat of a child-despoiler grin) u r nothin but a retard whose brain is a specimen of d type needed by the political thugs as d election approaches 2 maim and kill.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by philip0906(m): 8:36pm On Jul 16, 2010
babapupa:

Very well said.

Their end is crap because they have little or no time to spend on themselves and better their people because they spend so much time worrying about and blaming other people for everything under the sun.
u sound akalaish and oyoish,so i don't blame u grin grin
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by Beaf: 8:37pm On Jul 16, 2010
blacksta:

God bless you my brother - I just can stand some fools who come here to defend the indefensible it is so clear that the foundation was not right for a high usage road. For God sake what do u expect when you build on clay. I  have seen roads been built the latest one being the M25 in the u.k and i  can confirm that i saw concrete being poured in metal casing rods  and this was the foundation before tar was poured on top.  Using clay as foundation is so common in Nigeria and very cheap for a contractor trying to cut corners and any slight rain the road washes way.

Can you imagine if we had winter in Nigeria? shocked
The mere thought is extremly frightening. Here we simply paint tar over mud, collect the dosh and hope for the best.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by tpiah: 8:41pm On Jul 16, 2010
philip0906:

that road has been in construction 4 only God knows how many years. . .passed there yesterday and it was blocked.as far as I'm concerned, every thing about d road is substandard

here's one complaining about the road being blocked . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by philip0906(m): 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2010
tpiah:

here's one complaining about the road being blocked . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

did u read m post well abi u no c wetin i write?what did i write b4 dat? undecided
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by bkbabe90(m): 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2010
Beaf:

Can you imagine if we had winter in Nigeria? shocked

But u dont, so get ova it already! Can we please talk about some Ibo highways (if they have any)?
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by philip0906(m): 8:49pm On Jul 16, 2010
bk/babe90:

But u dont, so get ova it already! Can we please talk about some Ibo highways (if they have any)?
philip0906:

u this bk/babe90(your name sounds like dat of a child-despoiler grin) u r nothin but a retard whose brain is a specimen of d type needed by the political thugs as d election approaches 2 maim and kill.
hope u read dat b4. . .dickkhead grin grin
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by tpiah: 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2010
philip0906:

did u read m post well abi u no c wetin i write?what did i write b4 dat? undecided

y dnt you tell mi what you wrote be4 dat.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by babapupa: 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2010
bk/babe90:

The pesin you quoted  no  even have roads talk less bridges, not even canoe to cross from swamp to swamp.
Re: Collapsed Lasu-iba Road: Another Brf Failure by SkyBlue1: 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2010
bk/babe90:

Was about to say the same thing! As far as I understand, Lagos is the most developed part of Nigeria, no? Ok! And it belongs to the Yorubas! Right? And Ibos r always coming on threads telling folks wuts wrong with Lagos, how Lagos can improve ect? Why dont these Ibo men concentrate on their[b] Ibo country[/b]? Is that Eastern Nigeria is like the African replica of NY that there's no need for development there anymore? Are the Ibo highways U.S standard? Are their buildings up to par with wut obtains in the Western world? Their way of life? If they've achieved developmental success, then, kudos to them; theyve got every right to criticize anything Yoruba. But, if not, then I suggest they think of putting Televisions in their homes instead of worrying that another man hasnt fenced his.

babapupa:

Very well said.

Wow. So much for 'we are all Nigerians'. Isn't this thread about Lagos? . . . .  . .  . . .  . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Winners Chapel Pastor Murder: Rochas Under Investigation / Us Did Not Predict Nigeria’s Break-up In 2015 – Ambassador Mcculley / Ogun Transport Projects, Catalyst To Socio-economic Development

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.