Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,895 members, 7,909,364 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 11:59 PM

Should I Resign From My Bank Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign From My Bank Job? (5999 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? / Many Resign From Glo Ghana As Company Closes Many Of Its Outlets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by mekushai: 8:10pm On Apr 09, 2007
Hello all, i read electrical/electronics Engineering and made a 2.1, finished serving late last year and got a job with a bank, now barely three months i want to resign, its been closing late and getting up early, my career been taken to the cleaners as i am either debiting or crediting. I have been confused especially knowing that getting a job isn't easy.

I plan to get a certification probably MCSE or CCNA etc as i begin applying for jobs that will build my career and make me more focused, no more banking for me, thats what i think. People keeping trying to say no but deep down i know that with a good certification, i will be hot cake and get better jobs and still have time for myself.

What do you guys think. Please advice urgently. Thanks
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by adconline(m): 9:49pm On Apr 09, 2007
Have you thought of what it would be like without a job. please hang in  there and save some money for your certification. Always have in mind that your current position is not  you want to be. Always remember that you can do better, but you haveto lay down a foundation.

Good luck
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by alexis(m): 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2007
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Butt lick em now until you get another job, hang in there man - we have been there and know how it is.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by 1one: 10:35pm On Apr 09, 2007
i support you leave  ([/b]but not immediately though, try to gain a little more knowledge about the banking world , you might nver know , it might come in handy someday[b]) because there is no point in doing what your  "innermost" is not in harmony with, fine, getting a job isnt that easy, but that does not warrant you to fall into a state of unconscious depression catalysed by your continuous unfilfilment in your present place of work?, bacause that is what i see happening if you continue in that field  
no matter the level of financial success you are enjoying right now, it can and would still be better when you decide to settle for that field that God has orchestrtaed your interest in. take a bold step and leave and while you at it, even in the presence of hardship and resistance, consider the light at the end of the TUNNEL, there is no glory without a story, keep us in touch

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by bameyi(m): 12:56am On Apr 10, 2007
if you don't like the debiting and crediting you do right now why dont you get the certification and then change to the IT department in the bank it easy because you are in the system already and you can change from doing debiting and crediting to developing, and implementing banking software, also you could end up designing networking structure for the bank. i read maths but to day i work in a different field where i never thought maths could be apply.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by CBANJ(m): 12:59am On Apr 10, 2007
Most workers are not in their dream job, but they have to pay the bills.  I would not advice you to leave until you find another job.  Also, try and stick it out a bit and get some experience in your current environment, it could be invaluable in the future in many ways, including contacts. After you have had a bit of experience, you can start looking for another job, this might be challenging considering your hours, but my advice is to step from your curret job to one more towards where you want to be, then step from that to another job that is even closer, and so forth, getting some experience from each.  But stepping all the way down first to start over is very risky.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Nobody: 4:03am On Apr 10, 2007
Somebody said no glory without a story, thats true;

but remenber as 2pac said: there's no glory in pain.

I will advice you to hang on a little save some money and then be sure of what you really want to do.

Naija no be place wey you go play with jobs like that.

With my qualification i knew how i tried to get that kind of job.

Danmed country.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Everbright(f): 8:59am On Apr 10, 2007
@ Topic I understand what you mean
But i'd advise you hang on, u might get used to it
or until you get a new job
staying without a job is not an easy task
Good luck man
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by cletusia: 10:12am On Apr 10, 2007
I think it is better ho hold on now till u get a clearer picture of things.Rushing out might really work for some and not all.Cling to what you have but dont forget to look elsewhere.
Cletus
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by goldenray(m): 10:13am On Apr 10, 2007
I share the same apprehension about a banking career. I have gotten three job offers from banks(two from the same bank) but i turned them down cos of what the job does to ones personal life. Just last week, I got another offer from oceanic to start at a somewhat advanced level. This time am confused; not just because of the attractive pay packet(which incidetally almost triples my current allawi), but because its like destiny keeps throwing these bank offers at my face and I keep rejecting them.

My conclusion remains the same though for the poster: Get a more satisfying job first, then flee with you tail in between ya legs! Good luck
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 10, 2007
you have the most important thing an engineering graduate in nigeria needs; a 2.1 .hang in there, and make your plans for sneaking off to tests.get hold of test books and start practising NOW.that way, when you get called to the tests you will find them a piece of cake.

those certs don't really matter, but thatys a matter of opinion.most of my classmates who read engineering and are in banking hate it.unless you're in IT or projects , being in a bank is not it.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by ireke(m): 10:47pm On Apr 10, 2007
what do you do when you find urself in a job you hate?

shine your eyes - why do you hate it. is it the banking industry, your particular bank or the job you are the doing there. try to know what exactly pisses you off then you will know how to run from it. e.g. If you do not hate the bank, you may look for options (other depts) inhouse like someone suggested

If you need to check out, then face reality - if it's not a matter of conflict of principles, like when you have to involve urself in some things that you consider immoral, then I guess you should weigh ur options and see if you can survive with what you have (or have not) made from the bank before you check out. You might want to save desperately for a few months to cover for the days of drought (or is it rain?).

Work Harder - If you want to launch out from within either to another dept or to another sector altogether, Now you need to satisfy ur employer and at the same time work on the double towards your dream. You may be able to win them over to see things your way when they are happy with your job performance.

Lastly, despite all, we sometimes need to take some drastic steps that will force us to act in the direction of our dreams.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by ishmael(m): 7:27am On Apr 11, 2007
Since you do not like the Debiting and Crediting routine job which probably your little cousin who is 10 could do if taught, look for a way to move to the IT Department, i think it will be more interesting and professional to be there as an Engineer. But mind you IT guys don't have time for themselves too because they work 24/7. saturdays and sundays are working days for IT guys; else remain in the Debiting and Crediting unit until you find a better job.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Eseaba: 10:03am On Apr 11, 2007
Interesting topic. One thing is this. You may not like the job you have but you can like the opportunity to have that job. Unemployement is a problem. Don't quit like that. As far I know, stress does not kill. Its a fact. Don't give up easily. Mind u, professional certificate does not guarantee u instant fortune.Be wise in taking decision. As one that has broken the chain of unemployement, there should not be any gap like break. Instead you leave a job for another. Guy be wise oooooooo.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by tlops(m): 2:17pm On Apr 11, 2007
Well a bird at hand is worth more than million in the bush. I understand that u get motivated by work, but being unemployed is not what u will like to experience. U could keep applying while still on ur current job and if u get a better offer u can leave, but dont leap wtout knowing where u'll land.selah.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by IDERAWOLE(m): 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2007
Your dilema is very common but the solution to your prob. is not common, what you need is not another HOT JOB for a HOT CAKE like you want to be. My advice; GO READ the best-seller on how to move forward in life: RICH DAD, POOR DAD by Robert Kiyosaki.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by jiggo(m): 1:19pm On Apr 12, 2007
well, i have a similar plight here,
i have an IT job in a 1st class Power Generating Company, well as per experience, it aint bad cos. i'll also be helped to write cert exams soon, but pay small

i have like 3options,
2banks and a formost Professional Service body
anoda tin is:
which do u prefer/advice? BankPHB/Intercontinental Bank Plc,
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by tlops(m): 1:39pm On Apr 12, 2007
jiggo:

which do u prefer/advice? BankPHB/Intercontinental Bank Plc,
take one give the other a fellow nairaland user.
it depends Bank PHB is just developing i guess, if u like to be part of the growth I think its ok but i don't know what their pay is like o.Intercontinental bank is already a"big" bank, u could join and it still provides room for you to shine only u will have to put in more, again i don't know what they pay. but i think the pay at intercontinetal should be higher---no proofs. Just pray for God's guidiance and choose.selah.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by adis(m): 1:43pm On Apr 12, 2007
Sincerely, whatever job you do in life, what matter most is fulfillment. If you know that you are not satisfying your desire or derailing from your dream, while working with the bank, you can leave.

But, I'll like you to first search for and secure another before resigning. A BIRD AT HAND,

A ll the best
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by anyaricu(m): 2:07pm On Apr 12, 2007
Hey, I really dont envy you and I have an idea what you are going through so let me give you a story that should encourage you if you so decide to resign. I work in the biggest oil servicing company in the world. I was employed on the 15th March 2007(that makes me very new) at age 24yrs and beleive me I was fresh out of youth service. But guess what? two other guys were also employed with me and the youngest of them is 30yrs of age. after getting to know these guys they both told me tat they resigned from banks 6months and 1yr respectively ago. so you see, its never too early or too late to resign from what you dont enjoy doing. Incidentally they both studied your course.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by donmayor(m): 6:12pm On Apr 12, 2007
It would b very hard for you to build a new career working in a bank unless if you want to get old fast cos there is virtually no time for any other thing.
There is a key to success is life they call sumthing like burning the bridges. If you hold on to the bank job, you won't pursue the career of your dreams with all your might. If you walk away from the bank job after setting a goal of what you are actullay setting out to do or you want, you would have no choice but to pursue that goal with all your might because you cannot afford to fail. Right now you can afford to fail in ur dream careet cos you have a backup which is not bringing you happiness.I believe you would get to where you want to go faster if you resign from the bank as you would be determined not to fail!

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by jiggo(m): 10:04am On Apr 13, 2007
tlops:

take one give the other a fellow nairaland user.
it depends Bank PHB is just developing i guess, if u like to be part of the growth I think its ok but i don't know what their pay is like o.Intercontinental bank is already a"big" bank, u could join and it still provides room for you to shine only u will have to put in more, again i don't know what they pay. but i think the pay at intercontinetal should be higher---no proofs. Just pray for God's guidiance and choose.selah.

dat was wat i was dscussing wit a frend, if it were possible to dash out, even 2[including where i am now]
BankPHB pays 2.2m and IBPlc pays 1.8m, Confirmed!!!! so,
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by tlops(m): 10:24am On Apr 13, 2007
Jiggo!
blessed are u among all Graduates!!

The Irony of life some don't have some have, wt options. its good. That is how life should be.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by mekushai: 8:57pm On Apr 13, 2007
Hi all, i am really grateful for your advice, but maybe something i did not say was that i have tried going to Aptech and settled for MCSE and agreed to have classes on weekend. Guess what this was three months ago, i have not even had the time to go and negotiate on payments not to talk of attending classes. why? FOr the past three months i have worked on almost every saturday and for the past three weeks i have worked on every weekend including sunday. This is why i want to resign, i have saved quite some money at least to register fully for MCSE but not yet for the exams, God willing that will be ready soon. This my people are the reasons for my resigning, i know getting a Job aint easy but killing my desire my good intent for my future i think is worse. Suffer now and enjoy later. Please what do you guys think?
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by longest(m): 12:34pm On Apr 14, 2007
i only know of people moving from one job to another.i dont know of people leaving their jobs because they wanna take cert. and as a result go stay home.u seem to be just getting lazy to me cos a hardworking person can be in that bank of yours and still pass a certification.anything u are doing right now is a calling and u got to hold on to what u got and press 4 more.working experience is invaluable and cannot be bought.u are lucky.u sound bright.

climb the steps.learn anything u can that is good now
the steps are yours man!climb them

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by tlops(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2007
Bank job was one of my fears then, I seriously prayed against getting one (even though I would have taken d offer but that would have been to change status: from unemployed grad) but it appears its the highest recruiting sector in Nigeria. Pele!! pray for God's wisdom in ur decision making, it works.selah.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 15, 2007
@topic

Let's see since you need the cash from your job to pay for the certification. I'd suggest the following;

1. Give yourself a deadline to quit working in the bank or either in that same period move to the IT dept. You've been there for a couple of months so you could give yourself say 6- 8 months

2. I say give yourself a deadline because it will be virtually impossible since you have recently joined the bank to find time to read. So during this period look for opportunities to move to another dept, else look for other vacancies in your field that u'd like, whilst all this is going on save some money gained with your current job.

3. There's no need trying to read for certification exams when you cant make the time to study
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by tlops(m): 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2007
Well the IT dept of most bank hardly provide any challenging task, u may find that boring too. U can stll try it.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Mystique(f): 1:01pm On Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, i work with the I.T. dept of a bank and it still sucks. . . . tongue
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by cynic411(f): 10:14pm On May 02, 2007
Mekushai, i feel your pain. I work in the Operations department of a bank and i have to be in the office 6 days in a week. For the past 4 months, i have been working even on sundays. The last time i went on vacation was in 2004 and i was given only 10 days off!!!!!!!!!

Mine is bad because i work in Aba, live alone and cannot further past my BSc. because the town has no University (The only one-state owned is far away). So people would rather go to Enugu (which is about 2 and a half hours away) to run their Masters or PGD programmes but how can i do that with my tight schedule?

My case is pathetic again because i am not from the East and do not speak their language, so i become an easy target for people to cheat when i go out to buy stuff.
Job hunting is slow because the internet connection has been cut off so you can't browse sites, not even after 5 or 6pm or on weekends as some other banks do. And how many cybers are open after 9pm when i leave the office or on sundays? (Just lucky to have seen this which was almost shutting down).
Please keep hanging in there. Its not easy, i swear. I break down sometimes and just cry like a baby (Little wonder why we are called the weaker sex) because its not easy at all. Keep jobhunting, i'm certain that something good will come out of it if you are persistent.
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by Has(m): 6:46pm On May 03, 2007
well ur feeling is greatly felt by all. u know a case like dis always attracts mix advice and everyone can justify there reason. infact mine is not too different but before i comment vividly i would like to ask u some frank questions about uself:
1. Are u married? if u ar is ur woman working?
2.Is ur position in ur family close to the top?
3.How frequent u visit nairaland and read how people are seeking for jobs?
4.Has ur bank conducted any aptitude test since u join them? if yes  did u ask urself why the crowd?
5. etc
my fellow Engineer u will get ur desired job  wen d time is right. d only thing is dat you should b focused think of how to safe a very good money [if possible] and establish on ur own dan quiting ur job for cert. Come to think of it do u know that there are many people 2day with more than msce searching 4 jobs here and there? working there does not stop u from seeking other places. By and large if u have someone influential dat can assists u of ur needs especially during and after ur msce program pending wen u get another job, pls dont hestitate. i just want u to look before u leap,
Good luck
HAS
Re: Should I Resign From My Bank Job? by ojesymsym: 12:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
I feel your pain, i couldn't agree less with you. It's some time since u posted this so i dont know ur decision has been, but I think the right thing to do is to use that place as a watch tower to look around and to see it as a stepping stone to a better future, who knows u may even get to like the job u know. Engineers usually feel this kind of pain but with no other option what do we do? Takia. (I heared of a masters holder in engineering who feels its too late for him to leave but wud not advice younger engineers who have a choice to take banking jobs,Easy Man)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Download ICAN Pathfinder May 2019 For Foundation, Skills And Professional / I Rejected A 15K Job With Alpha Technologies / 10 Tips To Be Successful As A Youth In His/her Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.