Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,298 members, 7,971,084 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 09:39 PM

Africa Without Slavery And Colonization - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Africa Without Slavery And Colonization (10965 Views)

Black African Slaves Castrated By Muslims - Islam and Slavery / Slavery In The Americas And West Indies - More Shocking Than Imagined / What Is Africa Without The Horn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2010
Lets look at Ethiopia , a part of Africa that was never colonized. Even though they claim to be direct descendants of King David through Solomon and they had been civilized since the time of ancient Egypt when the rest of Africa were , What is the country like today? poverty, starvation, disease - all things that represent the stereotypic views about Africa today.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2010
shotster50:

@ Cap,

You are wrong to blame the Europeans entirely for our problems. We should also blame ourselves, slavery in Africa like someone else here pointed out, was already being practiced in Africa way before the European showed up. We should blame ourselves first before anybody else. We sold our dignity for a pittance and yet we expect fairness from the Europeans. We are our own worst enemy.

Shotster 50 this is the same excuse white europeans use time and time again in order to exonerate themselves from blame, this excuse, and it is nothing but an excuse is used to assuage their guilt, lets look at the facts, yes, africans practiced slavery but nowhere on the same scale nor for the same purpose that the europeans practiced theirs. Africans enslaved captured prisoners of war during inter ethnic skirmishes which is actually normal, go and read european history and you will find that the romans enslaved almost the whole of europe, every country that they invaded and conquered resulted in the population of that country becoming enslaved, but these slaves were still treated like human beings and not condemned to a grim, violent and short existence as was the lot of african slaves at the hands of european slave traders.

The transatlantic slave trade as practiced by the europeans was undertaken in order to make money, africans were regarded as chattel (property) and had no rights, our humanity was completely denied, african slavery on the other hand recognised the humanity of slaves - these type of slaves were treated like human beings and not property as was the case with the transatlantic slave trade. Please stop buying in to their brainwashing, they want you to exonerate them from all blame, so that they dont have to take responsibility for the damage they orchestrated and are still carrying on with on our continent.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by BlackRevo: 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2010
redsun:

I saw on BBC world report this morning how sieraleoneans are officially begging the british to come back and recolonize them.And yesterday i was speaking to a congolese who told his country is marking her 50th independence annivassary this year and has invited the queen of belgium as the guest of honor with enoumous diamond gift as homage and i got me wondering,with all that belgium under leopold did to them,they still see belgium as the master.

Today africans are fu-cked to the bone,with little or no sense of humanity.

The problem with these other smaller africa countries is that there is no one to look up to or protect them . China has shown other some other asian nations that they can do it on thier own but in our case nigeria and ghana is really messing up.

@topic . . .It is of no relevance to to put the blame of our underdevelopment on slavery because nothing stops us from being great again despite our horrible past. China, india, south korea, singapore and malaysia were all at the same level with nigeria but what do we have today now? So lets channel our energy towards real development and use our past as a driving us to keep us going like the jewish people.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 6:34pm On Aug 07, 2010
@bgees
Although Ethiopia resisted colonization at first, Italy took over 1st June 1936. Have you heard of "Italian East Africa a.k.a African Orientale Italiana"?
It was Italy's conglomeration of Ethiopia, Eritrea & Somalia.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 6:46pm On Aug 07, 2010
I think when we realise how much harm that had been done, we would know how much effort we need to put into things.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by AjanleKoko: 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2010
Dr. Ayo:

I think when we realise how much harm that had been done, we would know how much effort we need to put into things.

Dr Ayo,
As much as I feel you, I think Africans have dwelt on slavery long enough.
Slavery and colonization I think was inevitable for Africans. The continent had been somehow left in darkness for too long, isolated. It was only natural that invaders would cash in.

Let all Africans stop complaining, shake off the inferiority complex, and focus on building our continent. Sometimes we just sound like the class wimp reporting the class bully to the teacher. Only in this case, the teacher is the class bully's dad. We've cried reparation all these years. Is anybody listening to us?
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 8:45pm On Aug 07, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Dr Ayo,
As much as I feel you, I think Africans have dwelt on slavery long enough.
Slavery and colonization I think was inevitable for Africans. The continent had been somehow left in darkness for too long, isolated. It was only natural that invaders would cash in.

Let all Africans stop complaining, shake off the inferiority complex, and focus on building our continent. Sometimes we just sound like the class wimp reporting the class bully to the teacher. Only in this case, the teacher is the class bully's dad. We've cried reparation all these years. Is anybody listening to us?

Gosh that is the most ignorant statement i have ever heard in my life- how on earth can you make that statement - who invented philosophy, medicine, who invented the most complicated system of construction known to man which resulted in the construction of the pyramids, who invented mathematics, irrigation systems, whose art and literature was copied and appropriated by invading nations, whose antiquities were stolen and still remain in european museums to date - for christ's sake if you don't know your history stop misleading people with lies that have been fed to you by racist whites who want to keep you in a position of subservience.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 9:02pm On Aug 07, 2010
cap28:

Gosh that is the most ignorant statement i have ever heard in my life- how on earth can you make that statement - who invented philosophy, medicine, who invented the most complicated system of construction known to man which resulted in the construction of the pyramids, who invented mathematics, irrigation systems, whose art and literature was copied and appropriated by invading nations, whose antiquities were stolen and still remain in european museums to date - for christ's sake if you don't know your history stop misleading people with lies that have been fed to you by racist whites who want to keep you in a position of subservience.

pls stop riding on the achievements of Ancient Egypt, they were not completely African.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 9:05pm On Aug 07, 2010
Ajanlekoko - please go and read the destruction of black civilization by Chancellor Williams - it will help you.

In his book, The Destruction of Black Civilization, black scholar, Chancellor Williams informs us that history has proven that a number of tactics were employed by anthropologists to blot out black accomplishments. Here is a list of Williams' observations about how anthropologists chose to operate:

1. "Ignore or refuse to publish any facts of African history" that would not support
     their racial theories.

2. "Create a religious and 'scientific' doctrine" to ease the white conscience for
     oppressing and enslaving African people.

3. "Flood the world with hastily thrown together African 'histories'" that contain
     European perspectives only.

4. "Start renaming people and places. Replace African names of persons, places, and
     things with Arabic and European names." This will disguise their true black identity.

5. Change the criteria for defining race. For example, one drop of Negro blood in
     America makes you a Negro, no matter how light your skin. When reporting ancient
     history, reverse the standard. Make one drop of white blood render someone a
     Caucasian no matter how dark the skin. (Test this criteria during the
     "riding-at-the-back-of the-bus" era of the South during the 1940s in the USA. Be
     assured that any of the Pharaoh's of Egypt, especially up to and including the 25th
     Dynasty, would have been required to sit at the back of the bus.)

6. When black participation in civilization is so obvious your best schemes can't
     hide it, find a way to attribute the success to outside white influence.

7. When all the ancient historians contradict your theory, seek to discredit them.

and here is an excerpt from an article about how the europeans conspired to lie about the ethnicitiy of the ancient egyptians:

Egypt has always been a place of fascination for the ancients outside the region of Egypt. For instance, two of the seven wonders of the World were situated in Egypt.

The Rosetta Stone was discovered during the Napoleonic Egyptian Campaign in 1799. In 1822 Jean Champollion was able to crack the code of hieroglyphics. Once the code of hieroglyphics had been cracked, it brought a renewed interest to that region of the world.

For the first time in thousands of years, utilizing the new-found skills of reading Egyptian hieroglyphics, people could corroborate certain historical events, people and places. The discovery of the Rosetta Stone and subsequent understanding of the esoteric hieroglyph language was the connection that brought everything to the forefront for "modern" people to wrestle with some realities.

European archaeologists, anthropologists and historians were in a catch-22 situation. On one hand they were seeing images of people with clear Afroid features as they traveled around Egypt.

On the other hand, there was the terrible history of the slave trade that had been going on for approximately 350 years prior. For Europeans to justify the economic drive of the slave trade, there had to be the denigration of people of African descent. (Also, let's not forget the complicity of African Kings in bringing their warring neighbors to the slave traders.) Since the slave trade had been going on for some 350 years, the negative view of Black people had permeated much of Europe, South and North America and the rest of the world.

There was a crisis of conscience, especially in the mid 1800s. How are the European archaeologists going to interpret what they are seeing and understanding, to an eager outside world? In my opinion, they blew a wonderful opportunity to share the truth. Instead most went to all sorts of ends to try to present Egyptians as though they were not of African descent. The book, Black Spark, White Fire (Richard Poe) addresses the ethnicity of the ancient Egyptians in a most ingenious manner.

The one-drop rule worked in the US -- one drop of black blood makes one black. Let's reverse the standards for archaeologists and anthropologists when viewing ancient history -- one drop of white blood makes you white, no matter how curly the hair or thick the lips.

All of this impacted the world -- brought on by a specific event. In my opinion, the re-discovery of the Rosetta Stone was the catalyst that brought about the series of events that ultimately reshaped the thinking of people around the world regarding the ethnicity of the ancient Egyptians.

Outside egypt there were many great african civilisations which were destroyed once the europeans commenced their invasion of africa.

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/RTGhistory.htm
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by oderemo(m): 9:06pm On Aug 07, 2010
@cap 28,
what is ignorant in what the guy wrote.?
Let all Africans stop complaining, shake off the inferiority complex, and focus on building our continent
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 9:09pm On Aug 07, 2010
bgees:

pls stop riding on the achievements of Ancient Egypt, they were not completely African.

please explain
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by texazzpete(m): 9:11pm On Aug 07, 2010
I'm still stunned that you fellows haven't heard of the Trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade.
In fact, more africans were enslaved and taken away to the middle east/Arab world than those taken off to western countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade

And as someone mentioned here before, of the slaves sold off to the Westerners, the vast majority were handed over to the slavers by their fellow Africans for money or favours.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 9:34pm On Aug 07, 2010
cap28:

please explain

Ancient Egyptians were not Negroes like u and I. Lets stop the act of always pointing to Ancient Egypt as a positive African past. Just to let you know the mummy of a popular Egyptian Pharaoh , King Tut was tested, and his DNA was western European.
texazzpete:

I'm still stunned that you fellows haven't heard of the Trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade.
In fact, more africans were enslaved and taken away to the middle east/Arab world than those taken off to western countries.

And as someone mentioned here before, of the slaves sold off to the Westerners, the vast majority were handed over to the slavers by their fellow Africans for money or favours.

Yes the trans-Saharan slave trade was more brutal. the Arabs treated slaves in a more cruel manner.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 9:37pm On Aug 07, 2010
texazzpete:

I've realised that with black people who reason like texazzpete whites have nothing to fear, I can see why whites are not afraid of us ever rising up to throw off the shackles of oppression - its because of the systematic brainwashing that has crippled us, if anyone would have told me that a black african man would write the above statement I would have found it very difficult to beleive but there you go.

Our  minds are so deeply ingrained with self hatred and love for anything that the white man tells us that we are no threat to them.  Texazzpete the above statement will endear you to racist whites who love to shift the blame for the atrocities that they committed against blacks and with blacks like you I dont really see the point of the KKK because you're actually doing their job for them
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bisolaoni: 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2010
Without Slavery and colonization, I think that Africa, would have developed still. Trade and contact with the outside world would have brought us the benefit of advances of science and technology. We would have had strong cultural institutions, and would have more respect for our sovereignty and culture. However, I think the ruling class would have benefited the most from this arrangement. The leadership of Africa in pre-colonial times does not give one any reason to believe that the benefits of increased wealth and power would have been shared out to the masses. I think that the situation would have been something like we have in Lesotho, where the king though highly educated and well traveled lives like a feudal lord. I think by and large Africa would be a less equitable place, with the ruling class cornering most of the wealth of the land for themselves, this time however, with the backing of the customary law and tradition.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by texazzpete(m): 10:05pm On Aug 07, 2010
cap28:

I've realised that with black people who reason like texazzpete whites have nothing to fear, I can see why whites are not afraid of us ever rising up to throw off the shackles of oppression - its because of the systematic brainwashing that has crippled us, if anyone would have told me that a black african man would write the above statement I would have found it very difficult to beleive but there you go.

Our  minds are so deeply ingrained with self hatred and love for anything that the white man tells us that we are no threat to them.  Texazzpete the above statement will endear you to racist whites who love to shift the blame for the atrocities that they committed against blacks and with blacks like you I dont really see the point of the KKK because you're actually doing their job for them

People like you exist solely to provide comic relief to your betters. That's enough reason to thank God for your existence.

I am a Nigerian and i care nothing for your constant rhetoric of 'colonial oppression'. The most important maladies crippling Nigeria today are corruption, tribalism and intolerance - maladies which have nothing to do with 'western oppression'.

Oppression is oppression anywhere you find it. Instead of babbling about 'colonial oppression', why haven't you ever come out to speak of the rapes in Congo, the starvation in Zimbabwe and the killings in Darfur?
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 10:06pm On Aug 07, 2010
bgees:

Ancient Egyptians were not Negroes like u and I. Lets stop the act of always pointing to Ancient Egypt as a positive African past. Just to let you know the mummy of a popular Egyptian Pharaoh , King Tut was tested, and his DNA was western European.

Yes the trans-Saharan slave trade was more brutal. the Arabs treated slaves in a more cruel manner.

Soon you will be telling me that the nubians - the original inhabitants of egypt and sudan are western europeans, there is no point in arguing with someone whose mind has been completely brainwashed by white racist propaganda.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by texazzpete(m): 10:09pm On Aug 07, 2010
cap28:

Another thing.

Everything i wrote in my post is based on facts in the public domain. Instead of attacking me, why don't you devote your efforts to counter what i wrote?
A good reason why we aren't a 'threat' to the 'white man' is that there are far too many people who are unable to use their brains constructively.
People like you.

Funny thing is, you keep blabbing about 'racist' and 'racism', but going by the dictionary definition of racism, you're a racist!
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by ezeagu(m): 10:14pm On Aug 07, 2010
bgees:

Could you please provide your source.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by cap28: 10:27pm On Aug 07, 2010
texazzpete:

People like you exist solely to provide comic relief to your betters. That's enough reason to thank God for your existence.

I am a Nigerian and i care nothing for your constant rhetoric of 'colonial oppression'. The most important maladies crippling Nigeria today are corruption, tribalism and intolerance - maladies which have nothing to do with 'western oppression'.

Oppression is oppression anywhere you find it. Instead of babbling about 'colonial oppression', why haven't you ever come out to speak of the despoils in Congo, the starvation in Zimbabwe and the killings in Darfur?

The thing about blissful ignorance is that it enables you to assume a false sense of reality in which you live in a parrallel universe where you are able to convince yourself that you are above others when in reality every person of any race other than black treats you as an inferior.  Is there any country in this world where you as a black man can go to and you will be accorded the same level of respect that men of other races are accorded? - Hold that thought for a moment.

You continue to delude yourself into thinking that you are equal to a white man when time and time again the white man continues to disregard, insult and disrespect everything about your race and history and  yet you call ME a racist.

Your myopic state prevents you from facing up to the truth of who you are, in keeping with your delusionary mindset you refuse to acknowledge or take on board any discussion or critique about race, racism and the oppression of black people in general.

To make matters worse you live in a country that has a terrible track record with regard to race but as far as you are concerned none of this is of any importance to you.

Texazzpete far from being my better you are my inferior because you are totally desensitised to who you are and where you have come from, i can only feel nothing but pity for you.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2010
ezeagu:

Could you please provide your source.

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=11846.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2010
How many of us could remember Hilary Clinton's visit to Nigeria then? These whites still believe they are our gods, masters. . .!
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by ezeagu(m): 10:49pm On Aug 07, 2010
bgees:

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=11846.

The original article is from http://www.eutimes.net/2010/06/king-tuts-dna-is-western-european/

This is a quote.

Despite the refusal of the Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, Zahi Hawass, to release any DNA results which might indicate the racial ancestry of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, the leaked results reveal that King Tut’s DNA is a 99.6 percent match with Western European Y chromosomes.

I thought as much that you'd provide a source that is Eurocentric. For anyone reading, go to the website and browse their articles and then ask yourself if the source is unbiased and if it is reliable.

Under their 'Crime' category they have options for: "Immigration, Holocaust, Interracial, Theft, Terrorism"

Is this a source you want to hold reliable?

There is no official release of Tutankhamun's ancestry/DNA results. The article above is a piece of garbage that is based on speculation, hopes and wishes. Find proper information from verifiable sources, it will help you a whole lot, and next time you'll put out proper fact.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by canuck(m): 10:52pm On Aug 07, 2010
Of all the nations that experienced colonization in their history - US, Great Britain, France, 'old' Israel, Canada, Brazil, Finland - just to mention a few, why is it that we African nations are predominantly under-developed BECAUSE of colonization?

E.g. Nigeria has had various forms of self-rule in almost 50 years to no avail.

May be we put aside national pride, fire the losers (political class) and hire expatriates!  cheesy

This time, it won't count as colonization BUT outsourcing!  grin
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by ezeagu(m): 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2010
And by the way, this is how the people of Kmt depicted themselves and their deities:

[center]

[img]http://kyriapanagia.tripod.com/ancient%20egypt/egyptimages/dancers[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_uftmRIkAyHc/SIVMCvVb_lI/AAAAAAAAAwI/6gjjTEpvjc4/s400/EgyptWallPaintng.gif[/img][/center]
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 10:59pm On Aug 07, 2010
This thread would be useless and a complete waste of time if we don't discuss the way out of this mess we (the children) were born into. We have all had someone or something to blame for our misfortunes, but verily our children would blame us for doing nothing about it. No matter how inhumane the fathers might have gotten the wealth then, the children of europe now praise their fore-fathers for building their land, making them the "most superior" among all races.
-
So, please what do you think is the way out of these problems. Inferiority-complex is not genetic. Our children could be born into a life where they are so proud to be a black man. So proud! 'US would have to go to hell for all they care!' But how?
Please let us not be ambiguous but Realistic. This is how revolution starts. Remember the American Revolution? Also tell us how you plan to contribute to the revolution.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 11:03pm On Aug 07, 2010
I never implied that I believed in it. Of course, it could be another white-collar white supremacists move.  He could have been of the same descent as Europeans but not necessarily one.  Another thing to remember is that it is scientific, tomorrow, these findings could nullified.

But who cares , if the ancient Egyptians are black or Chinese? why can't we just move forward and look to the future instead of consoling ourselves with   past histories like ancient Egypt .
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 11:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
How bgees?
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 11:15pm On Aug 07, 2010
how what?
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 11:17pm On Aug 07, 2010
How bgees?
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by bgees(m): 11:20pm On Aug 07, 2010
Dr. Ayo:

This thread would be useless and a complete waste of time if we don't discuss the way out of this mess we (the children) were born into. We have all had someone or something to blame for our misfortunes, but verily our children would blame us for doing nothing about it. No matter how inhumane the fathers might have gotten the wealth then, the children of europe now praise their fore-fathers for building their land, making them the "most superior" among all races.
-
So, please what do you think is the way out of these problems. Inferiority-complex is not genetic. Our children could be born into a life where they are so proud to be a black man. So proud! 'US would have to go to hell for all they care!' But how?
Please let us not be ambiguous but Realistic. This is how revolution starts. Remember the American Revolution? Also tell us how you plan to contribute to the revolution.

the revolution should start with every one of us. then from that, it would be collective.
Re: Africa Without Slavery And Colonization by DrAyo1(m): 11:26pm On Aug 07, 2010
bgees:

why can't we just move forward and look to the future instead of consoling ourselves with   past histories like ancient Egypt .
How do you think we can achieve this? (In practical terms).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ghana's Incumbent President Mahama Wins Election / South Sudan Becomes 54th African State / Respect Our Laws Or Be Dealt With – Ghanaian Police To Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.