Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,253 members, 7,880,935 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:34 AM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (133282 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 11:12pm On Aug 24, 2010
Ibime:

BTW, Jaja's real name is Mbanaso. . . Jubo Jubogha is his slave name. . .

Interesting story about Abam, Umuebulu, Bonny and Okrika. . . looks like the Abam guys were some cold blooded mercenaries. . .

Okrika traders used the Imo River which rises from Mbaise hills in Imo State, forming a confluence with Otamini river at Umuebulu where they purchased palm oil and kernel. According to Diebo Fiberesima, born at Umuebulu in 1944, the Umuebulu reported that they had previously given Bonny people a portion of their land as trading post. It was alleged that the Bonny traders later assisted Abam people in Abriba of the present Abia State to behead Umuebulu people for rituals and festivals. The Okrika traders settled this matter through the District Officer at Bonny. They refunded to the Bonny traders the sum of 15,028 manilas, being the sum they had paid for the land. The Okrika traders, on their part, assisted to ward-off the intrusion of Abam head-hunters in Umuebulu. For this reason, the Umuebulu people compensated them with more lands. From this time the Okrika settlers are said to have lived in peace with their host, except for minor disputes on land boundaries. According to Diebo (2006), negotiations began in 1888 and agreement was reached in 1911.

http://ijawhistory.com/Ami%20Pro%20-%20CHAPT25.pdf

Correction.
Imo river did not rise from Mbaise Hills, if at all there is anything as Mbaise Hills, Imo River rose from Okigwe hills.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2010
If it pleases you, Andre, then by all means stay there and keep objecting.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 11:32pm On Aug 24, 2010
FACE:

Furthermore, it is very strange that original inhabitants would lose their language entirely, to slaves or few strangers.

Not even a brutal occupying force is always able to annihilate the culture and language of the occupied territory, worse case scenario is the establishment of a bilingual society or the absorption of the occupying force.

Look at Fulani conquest with all their ferocity, they adopted Hausa as their official language, even though they were in charge.

The Romans walked the face of Britain for 400 years and English survived.

The German/Brits enslaved South Africa for God knows how long and the best they came up with was Afrikaans.

Arab, the "take no prisoner" of them all colonised the Arab world, yet their local languages survived.

Hm mm, na wa.

The examples you gave are not fully comparable to this topic, like for the Romans, not all British people were in contact with them, same as the Arab's, they didn't completely wipe out cultures. Then again in Bonny for instance the Ibani language still exists. You also have to consider the uses of a language that makes it more useful, for Igbo in these places it was a suitable language for trading all over the area.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 11:35pm On Aug 24, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Objection. Aros were not present during slave raids. Aros might have been involved indirectly by the use of Abam mercenaries, but were never physically engaged in slave raids. Never.

I think you may be right, although I wouldn't go as a far as saying they never raided place. They did use religion to capture people though.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 11:44pm On Aug 24, 2010
ezeagu:

I think you may be right, although I wouldn't go as a far as saying they never raided place. They did use religion to capture people though.
The bolded was for dispute resolution.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 11:49pm On Aug 24, 2010
Andre Uweh:

The bolded was for dispute resolution.

Eehh, no. They did 'settle disputes' but they summoned people and either tricked them into the dedication of a deity or gave them a false judgement from the oracle then sold them into slavery.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by FACE(m): 12:11am On Aug 25, 2010
ezeagu:

The examples you gave are not fully comparable to this topic, like for the Romans, not all British people were in contact with them, same as the Arab's, they didn't completely wipe out cultures. Then again in Bonny for instance the Ibani language still exists. You also have to consider the uses of a language that makes it more useful, for Igbo in these places it was a suitable language for trading all over the area.

Maybe the examples are not fully comparable, but still a useful analogy.

By the way, Roman influence on Britain (Brittania to the Romans) lingered into the late 18th century. They ruled Britain and collected taxes for 400 years and their influence lingered at least 1200 years after their departure.

If you were learned but did not know Latin (Roman official language), even after the Romans had left, you still lacked education in old Britain. All official scripts were also written in Latin including the magna carta.

The evidence as regards Roman influence is all very clear when you go to Central London and you would see many buildings with Roman inscriptions on them and no English translation to match. Even their old law books and maritime books had a lot of Roman phrases and paragraghs transcribed to English.

The Arab conquests were always total and the wide spread use of their language would testify to that. Yet the conquered groups maintained their languages.

Yes, Igbo could have been a trade language, but it would have remained a second language if there were no people who were there as first set of inhabitants/migrants and spoke it originally.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 2:09am On Aug 25, 2010
The great speed to deny anything Igbo may have played a major role in the present language found in Ubani (Bonny) today. James Barbot sited Ubani (Great Bani) was founded by people of Azuogo, Ndokki-Azumini. He listed one of the ancestral kings as King Asimini, this could have been Azumini. He also listed Bile under King Agbaniye Ejike while Calabarie (Kalabari) was ruled king Owerri Daba. I believe that Daba give rise to Dapper.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 4:26am On Aug 25, 2010
No Ijaw were raiding Alaigbo without the Aro permission. Inland Igbo and Ibibio areas were under our dominion. And I seriously doubt that the Ijaw could raid the Ikwerre or Ngwa. So which Igbo groups were they raiding? It had to be the Aro or Igbo clans who were selling rival clans.

Andrew Uweh,

You are wrong. Aro did capture slaves. With our Ohafia and Abiriba allies, we were a menace to northern Igbo and Ibibio clans. It is common knowledge that Aro raids caused great upheavals throughout Alaigbo. People were forced to flee the Aro.

Some of my people were traders, others were warriors. Some Aro warriors founded communities as far as Anambra and Benue State.

We cannot whitewash our history as ChinenyeN said. To be honest, I am proud of the rich history of the Aro.

As the saying goes, MIGHT MAKES RIGHT.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 6:57am On Aug 25, 2010
hehehehe. . . . MIGHT MAKES RIGHT!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 7:00am On Aug 25, 2010
http://allafrica.com/stories/200905040497.html

The president general of Arochukwu town Union here is saying the same thing which I posted. Abam warriors sold the slaves to Aro people.
@Ezeuche.: I will post the link of Eze Aro's rebuttal on slave raids, am going to work now.
@Ezeagu--The oracle was for settling disputes, however, corrupt officials at the sacred place sold some of their clients, not that the Aro did. It is like the policemen on Nigerian highways extorting money from Nigerians without the knowledge of the IGP.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 8:37am On Aug 25, 2010
An Opobo person told me that Ibani is made up of Igbo words spoken in a different accent. is this true? Anybody?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2010
Dede1:

The great speed to deny anything Igbo may have played a major role in the present language found in Ubani (Bonny) today. James Barbot sited Ubani (Great Bani) was founded by people of Azuogo, Ndokki-Azumini. He listed one of the ancestral kings as King Asimini, this could have been Azumini. He also listed Bile under King Agbaniye Ejike while [b[Calabarie (Kalabari) was ruled king Owerri Daba. I believe that Daba give rise to Dapper.[/b]

I don't have any comment about the Initial but the boldened version would be plausible If you had gone with the current Amayanabo of Kalabari King Amachree and somehow claim that Amachree is actually Amakiri and insist that is an Igbo name. However in keeping consistent with shooting yourself in the foot with made-up folktales you use to keep people like komando spell bound, you mentioned an obscure compound in Abonnema (Oweredaba) that has never produced any Amayanabo of Abonnema talk less of Amayanabo of Kalabari.

Go ahead with your tales it only serves as entertainment to those that know better and panacea for Biafra apologists who somehow believe their dream is tied to annexing the lands of the delta beyond them. Good thing People like ezeagu, Abagworo and Andre Uweh don't make up stories out of the blues else I wonder what this thread would have turned into.

I await your next sensationalist write up. You are beginning to sound like a city people reporter grin grin

Well Komando regarding your question about Ibani, I don't speak Ibani but If you had gone with sounding like Kalabari mixed with Igbo words you wouldn't be too far off the mark. Try and read some Ibani authored sites; the truth doesn't hurt. It only enlightens!

When I am ready, I will post a link to a comprehensive Ijaw dictionary written by Roger Blench. You can google him and possibly learn Ibani if you fancy.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2010
Andrew Uweh,

My grandfather used to tell us stories about Abam Warriors. They were always happy to assist the Aro in procurring slaves. These men hunter others like a sport. Your article was not lying about that.

Our Igba ndu is still quite strong.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 8:06pm On Aug 25, 2010
@ OwII
Why the sacarsm. Anyway I would love to study Ibani, so please send the links. Suppose you heared that Obama town exists in Kalabari, Okrirka and Mbaise(Imo State). The truth realy enlightens and doesn't hurt.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2010
ow11:

I don't have any comment about the Initial but the boldened version would be plausible If you had gone with the current Amayanabo of Kalabari King Amachree and somehow claim that Amachree is actually Amakiri and insist that is an Igbo name. However in keeping consistent with shooting yourself in the foot with made-up folktales you use to keep people like komando spell bound, you mentioned an obscure compound in Abonnema (Oweredaba) that has never produced any Amayanabo of Abonnema talk less of Amayanabo of Kalabari.

Go ahead with your tales it only serves as entertainment to those that know better and panacea for Biafra apologists who somehow believe their dream is tied to annexing the lands of the delta beyond them. Good thing People like ezeagu, Abagworo and Andre Uweh don't make up stories out of the blues else I wonder what this thread would have turned into.

I await your next sensationalist write up. You are beginning to sound like a city people reporter grin grin

Well Komando regarding your question about Ibani, I don't speak Ibani but If you had gone with sounding like Kalabari mixed with Igbo words you wouldn't be too far off the mark. Try and read some Ibani authored sites; the truth doesn't hurt. It only enlightens!

When I am ready, I will post a link to a comprehensive Ijaw dictionary written by Roger Blench. You can google him and possibly learn Ibani if you fancy.

Please do not visit me with frustration because I am only a massager. My forbearers and my humble self did not get involved with name changing schemes. I am just a lover of history. My people say the uneasiness rests the head that wears the crown.

For example Bonny is neither Igbo nor Ijo but bastardized Ubani. Ijo’s ridiculous name changing scheme does not know boundaries such as Amakiri to Amachree, Ama-onye-na-abo to Amayanabo, Ama-amadi to Amadi- ama, Ama-Ogan to Ogan-ama, etc.  The funny aspect of the history involving Ubani (Bonny), Calabarie (Kalabari) and Okirika was the names and nicknames associated with the principal actors in the ruling houses. There were names such as Kamalu, Nwananaku, Ejemenike, Ejike, Owerri Daba, Orikadibia, Elebike, Osiagu, Otaji and Eleru. Also, there were nicknames such Odum and Edi Abali.

You can call my source folktale or oral endeavor however it remains legitimate because it is recorded events by the Europeans which started about 1469 and completed in 1863. Certain people can run but they can not hide.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 8:38pm On Aug 25, 2010
Ibani is ijaw language spoken by some bonny people.the others speak igbo very much like the ndoki dialect.actually okrika has so much in common with mbaise.till this day their level of inter-marriage is quite alarming.I believe they might have worked together in the past.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 1:28am On Aug 26, 2010
Of War House Canoes grin
Of Alagoa re-writing history to spruce up Ijaw image after the civil war. undecided
I simply say carry go sad

It's obvious you have an unlimited source of fabricated and inconsist supply of cooked-up stories that tend to portray Ijaws in better light than others.
Most of the assertions made in your reference are understandbly pro-Ijaw. These Ijaw 'historical facts' are laugbable and only as true as the Ijaw people claiming ownership of the "abandoned" properties they stole from Ndigbo.

Until you post a pre-civil source, nobody will take you and you emblished Ijaw stories seriously.

Ibime:

BTW, Jaja's real name is Mbanaso. . . Jubo Jubogha is his slave name. . .
Interesting story about Abam, Umuebulu, Bonny and Okrika. . . looks like the Abam guys were some cold blooded mercenaries. . .

Okrika traders used the Imo River which rises from Mbaise hills in Imo State, forming a confluence with Otamini river at Umuebulu where they purchased palm oil and kernel. According to Diebo Fiberesima, born at Umuebulu in 1944, the Umuebulu reported that they had previously given Bonny people a portion of their land as trading post. It was alleged that the Bonny traders later assisted Abam people in Abriba of the present Abia State to behead Umuebulu people for rituals and festivals. The Okrika traders settled this matter through the District Officer at Bonny. They refunded to the Bonny traders the sum of 15,028 manilas, being the sum they had paid for the land. The Okrika traders, on their part, assisted to ward-off the intrusion of Abam head-hunters in Umuebulu. For this reason, the Umuebulu people compensated them with more lands. From this time the Okrika settlers are said to have lived in peace with their host, except for minor disputes on land boundaries. According to Diebo (2006), negotiations began in 1888 and agreement was reached in 1911.
http://ijawhistory.com/Ami%20Pro%20-%20CHAPT25.pdf
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 1:42am On Aug 26, 2010
naijaking1:

Of War House Canoes grin
Of Alagoa re-writing history to spruce up Ijaw image after the civil war. undecided
I simply say carry go sad

It's obvious you have an unlimited source of fabricated and inconsist supply of cooked-up stories that tend to portray Ijaws in better light than others.
Most of the assertions made in your reference are understandbly pro-Ijaw. These Ijaw 'historical facts' are laugbable and only as true as the Ijaw people claiming ownership of the "abandoned" properties they stole from Ndigbo.

Until you post a pre-civil source, nobody will take you and you emblished Ijaw stories seriously.

Please reference Ugwulor Eugene Nwala, Kingdom Orji and Gamaliel Sokari-George who wrote that paper. Im sure you would have noticed that 2 of them are Igbo.

Now, what exactly bothers you about the story?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Onlytruth(m): 7:06am On Aug 26, 2010
Dede1:

Please do not visit me with frustration because I am only a massager. My forbearers and my humble self did not get involved with name changing schemes. I am just a lover of history. My people say the uneasiness rests the head that wears the crown.

For example Bonny is neither Igbo nor Ijo but bastardized Ubani. Ijo’s ridiculous name changing scheme does not know boundaries such as [size=14pt]Amakiri to Amachree[/size], Ama-onye-na-abo to Amayanabo, Ama-amadi to Amadi- ama, Ama-Ogan to Ogan-ama, etc.  The funny aspect of the history involving Ubani (Bonny), Calabarie (Kalabari) and Okirika was the names and nicknames associated with the principal actors in the ruling houses. There were names such as Kamalu, Nwananaku, Ejemenike, Ejike, Owerri Daba, Orikadibia, Elebike, Osiagu, Otaji and Eleru. Also, there were nicknames such Odum and Edi Abali.

You can called my source folktale or oral endeavor however it remains legitimate because it is recorded events by the Europeans which stated about 1469 and completed in 1863. Certain people can run but they can not hide.   

Zeroing in on the truth. . .

@Ibime (or whoever knows), how do you pronounce the "chree" in Amachree? Is it pronounced "ch" or "k" , that is "Amakree"?

If so, then it must be another bastardized Igbo, like "Awka" instead of "Oka", or "Owerri" instead of "Owerre", or "Onitsha" instead of "Onicha" etc.

Is Amachree not an anglicized "Amakiri"?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 7:33am On Aug 26, 2010
Kiri is an Ijaw word, so what gives? I know you remember the former Nigerian footballer Richard Owubokiri from Okrika (Kirike-se, Wakirike).

@ interested parties,

My research confirms that the founder of Ogan House is an Igbo man who was settled in Okrika by King Fibika, Ado V, in the 1840's. His name was Chief Ilalamoku Chukwukere Ogan.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 7:58am On Aug 26, 2010
Men! This thread is very informative. Keep it up guys!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 8:55am On Aug 26, 2010
Dede, if amanayanabo is bastardised ama onye an abo, then what is the equivalent for amadabo, waribo or alabo, the
other heirarchical structures of chieftaincy. These your folktales need help.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 8:58am On Aug 26, 2010
*Waridabo not waribo
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by bkbabe97y(m): 10:21am On Aug 26, 2010
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando1: 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2010
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 1:24pm On Aug 26, 2010
It still surprises me to hear that Igbo is foreign/non-indigenous to Bonny when the very first Igbo ever translated and used to teach the gospel in Igboland was Bonny Igbo and Onitsha Igbo, yet it is foreign.

Also it surprises me that the 2 most prominent houses in Bonny were led by 2 Igbos, Oko Jumbo and Madu, and people still assume that Igbos in Bonny were mainly slaves and not indigenous just because Jaja, a slave, finally succeeded Madu’s son, Alali.

Civil war must have done so much damage to some folks psyche.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2010
Only you forgot that both Madu and oko jumbo were also ex-slaves. Read up on beef between king Dappa Pepple and Madus son Alali because Dappa Pepple was snobbish to ex-slaves unlike his father King Opubo. Read trade winds on River Niger, a blow by blow account of royal niger company. Written by british.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Obiagu1(m): 3:17pm On Aug 26, 2010
Ibime:

Only you forgot that both Madu and oko jumbo were also ex-slaves. Read up on beef between king Dappa Pepple and Madus son Alali because Dappa Pepple was snobbish to ex-slaves unlike his father King Opubo. Read trade winds on River Niger, a blow by blow account of royal niger company. Written by british.

I can't find anything close to it on the internet. Where can I find the book?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 5:07pm On Aug 26, 2010
Trade winds on the Niger - The saga of the Royal Niger Company (Geoffrey L Baker)
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 5:23pm On Aug 26, 2010
Ibime:

Please reference Ugwulor Eugene Nwala, Kingdom Orji and Gamaliel Sokari-George who wrote that paper. Im sure you would have noticed that 2 of them are Igbo.

Now, what exactly bothers you about the story?

Next you'll tell us how Ijaws invented the regatta with their war house canoes cheesy
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ezeagu(m): 8:22pm On Aug 26, 2010
Here's the thing: Igboland's boundaries stop at communities where the majority stop associating or have never associated with the larger Igbo. How about that?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.