Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,240 members, 7,887,682 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:17 PM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (133440 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2010
Seanet I thought we have a truce. Maybe your hands was faster than time. Kudos.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2010
I meant hands were, not was.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by seanet02: 4:35pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

I meant hands were, not was.

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THESE?

komando:

Seanet I thought we have a truce. Maybe your hands was faster than time. Kudos.

ARE WE FIGHTING A CIVIL WAR?
komando:

Dgvjrhbuyhbx

ARE YOU INTO WEB PROGRAMMING?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:36pm On Aug 23, 2010
Komando polishes his riffle, waiting to defend Ndigbo from any attack by the Tribalist Hordes. It is fullfilling to defend NdiIgbo from attack.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
He spots Seanet creeping up. Aims carefully, and Bingo! Got the rabbit.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:41pm On Aug 23, 2010
Seriously Seanet, is your face on a civil war with itself? Are you human?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
Show us your face on google maps. Which are the regions that have been deformed by your facial civil war, and what do the ladies think of it? Do the kids scream ogre! Ogre! When they see you, hmm? I bet you are stuck on this thread now. But seriously, why the capital letters in all your posts? Was that how you wrote your WAEC, or did you buy it? Eh?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by seanet02: 4:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

Seriously Seanet, is your face on a civil war with itself? Are you human?

komando:

Komando polishes his riffle, waiting to defend Ndigbo from any attack by the Tribalist Hordes. It is fullfilling to defend NdiIgbo from attack.
komando:

He spots Seanet creeping up. Aims carefully, and Bingo! Got the rabbit.

Posted on: Today at 16:19:44
Posted by: komando
Insert Quote
@ seanet,
Thanks for the advice and peace be unto thee.
is this your peace?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 4:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
Just a friendly nudge on the back. Seriously bro, you take your self too seriously. Common let's go have some beer at th local pub. Peace yor?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by seanet02: 4:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

Just a friendly nudge on the back. Seriously bro, you take your self too seriously. Common let's go have some beer at th local pub. Peace yor?

THANKS BUT I NO DEY DRINK NOR SMOKE, MORE SO I AM FASTING
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 5:00pm On Aug 23, 2010
I don send you oranges, pineapples,anyara and isiewu(goat head) for the break of fast.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2010
@Ibime

Why do you seem to pick issue with my post when we are basically saying the same thing? The previous poster, mrmayor, had alleged that the Ijo migration stated some place in Yenegoa, passing through Ndoki-Azumini and Ogoni. I posited that most migratory pattern usually stem from North to South except those migrations that mimicked European exploratory pattern as in the case of Ijo who were porters to Europeans and came in canoe, hence, Canoe Houses. The Ijo migrations were from southwest to southeast. I even pointed to the case of Jaja as an example of such migratory episode.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 5:29pm On Aug 23, 2010
identity crisis
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 5:32pm On Aug 23, 2010
THE AMAKA:

identity crisis

Come again?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 5:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
Slut, LovePeddler, woman of easy virtue.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 5:43pm On Aug 23, 2010
ijaw_girl:
said this bf

*The meaning of Bonny is beautiful, attractive-The name Bonny was used to describe the Ibani homeland by the Portuguese on arrival, and subsequently became the name of the place. Not a bastardized English word for Ubani-bullcrap

*The original name for Bonny is Okoloama actually means eurasian curlew(the white bird) town or land. When Alagbariye and co arrived on the island, it was full of curlews so they named it after the bird.

*Ubani was used by Igbo traders when referring to Bonny.

This is another historical nonsense pulled from where sunlight does not reach. Bonny is English and bastardized name for Ubani which was Ngwa outpost before the arrival of Europeans. I shoud not be surprised if there was section of those several islands named Ama Okolo or Okolo Ama. I know that beautiful birds are not called Okolo Ama in Ijo. There were inhabitants (Ngwa, Asa and Ikwerre) already on those tiny islands before the arrival of the “Canoe People”.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 6:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
No matter how hard you stick a horse's mouth into a stream, It will not drink unless it realises it needs the water to survive. . .

According to Ibime, It is rather ironic that supposed original owners of the islands that are around the boundary of Nigeria have NO CULTURAL AFFINITY/AFFILIATION to the sea.

We have seen laughable attempts to make sure Rivers state is Igbo (Umu-Okrika, Ndu(Okrika) grin grin, Ubani, Calibari etc ). These silly attempts are just made because the internet warriors believe Biafra will come to pass and still see RV state as the meal ticket for the new country.

Kalabari and Okrika people are full blooded Igbos and one day names like Mpakaboari, Ibidukojumopirima and Tamunoribifikaboyeoforiye would become common place in Owerri and Enugu since these are Igbo names.

In another development, Anambra basin is part of the failed rift system that was formed when Africa and South America split. Organic rich shales have been deposited in the basin and the portions of the basin towards Ebonyi and Abia state hold massive amounts of oil if the FG is serious. It is cheaper to exploit oil on land than in the deepwater.

This is just a teaser, you do not need to lie or twist history of a people just because you feel in the eventuality of a country called Biafra, you would need that oil.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 6:44pm On Aug 23, 2010
It would amount to indelible silliness to attempt to make Rivers State Igbo as the idiotic Gowon and Nigerian government led by him tried to make River State Ijo. At least, history is here with us today but what tomorrow shall reveal can not be contemplated.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ow11.you must be crazy to utter such nonsense.nobody has said okrika and ibani is igbo.what is too glaring is the obvious igbo origin of majority of them.the early histories are there for everyone to see and was written by unbiased europeans.visit bonny profile on facebook and report if there is no evidence of igbo presence.what language is more spoken?as for riverine culture you are wrong.the oru of which I am one have riverine background dated several centuries and we are igbo.the truth is that no igbo has referred to any ethnic group beyond ikwerre as igbo.migratory igbo traders and slaves alongside ijaws founded trading outposts scattered across the eastern delta known as city states and until this day the evidences are there for everyone to see.why are you trying to wipe off the obvious?I am highly related to ijaws anyway.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 8:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
I dont think we can underestimate the amount of interaction between Ijaw and Southern Igbo. . . . it is usually when Northern Igbo start getting involved that arguments occur. . . .Ijaw and Southern Igbo know their boundaries, and have always settled amongst each other for centuries. . .

At Ndoki-Azumini, we have Ijaw compounds like Macpepple, Ogolo, Opusunju, Jaja etc.

Amadi-Ama, we have Igbo compounds like Amadi, Olunwa etc

Other parts of Okrika, we have Igbo compounds like Okujagu, Uwakwe, Ndubuisi etc

In Etche, we have Okrika plantation made up of Okrika migrants.

In Ikwerre land, we have Kalabari settlements at Iwofe/Eagle Island at the back of UST. Infact Kalabari always had better relationship with Ikwerre than they do with other Ijaws.

In Ogbunagbali-Ikwerre, we have many people with Ijaw names due to intermarriage and cultural assimilation.

In Ahoada, we have some Kalabari settlement etc etc etc.

Its when someone just land from Orkar and Onitsha and start making claims anyhow that we start to see problems arise. Even groups like Ikwerre resent these Northern Igbo due to their over-competitive nature and lack of land and resources (c) Abagworo. grin grin

Abagworo:

the oru of which I am one have riverine background dated several centuries and we are igbo.

The Oru is the paternal group of the Ijaw. Till recently, Ndoni/Ogba Egbema people know their Bayelsan neighbours as Oru. You are Igbo by cultural assimilation. The two most recurring words in Ijaw language are Kiri and Oru eg Pioru masquerade.

Shebi you told me that your people always say "I am Oru, but I am not Ijaw". Why would they need to say that if Oru is not associated with Ijaw?

ow11:

According to Ibime, It is rather ironic that supposed original owners of the islands that are around the boundary of Nigeria have NO CULTURAL AFFINITY/AFFILIATION to the sea.

Igbo pyschological aversion to water is no better highlighted than in the story of the origins of the Ngwa people. One Ngwa brother crossed the stream, but as soon as the stream developed into Imo River, the other brother was not able to cross. grin grin grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Onlytruth(m): 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
Ibime:

Shebi you told me that your people always say "I am Oru, but I am not Ijaw". Why would they need to say that if Oru is not associated with Ijaw?

Igbo pyschological aversion to water is no better highlighted than in the story of the origins of the Ngwa people. One Ngwa brother crossed the stream, but as soon as the stream developed into Imo River, the other brother was not able to cross. grin grin grin

This claim of Igbo aversion to water is so laughable! shocked grin So there are no Igbos on both sides of the great river Niger and other rivers in the Niger delta. So only Ijaw can swim?

I laugh with heavy Nnewi accent! grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 9:04pm On Aug 23, 2010
There are riverine igbos.ibime is from eastern ijaw and understands the true situation of things here.everybody knows where the border is and there is no doubt about the high mix of ijaw and igbo.From amadiama starts ijaw many of whom have igbo blood.ijaw blood also moved deep into igboland up to aba.people need to visit these places and ask the indigenes.many of the canoemen that live on the banks of aba river are descendants of igbotised ijaws.rivers is a controversial state because it is a buffer zone where two cultures are so mixed that none of the two can actually lay whole claim of dominance. This is the reason why you can't separate ijaws and igbos because the resultant crisis will be worse than israeli-palestinian.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 9:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
The authentic boundary between Ndigbo and non Igbo people in Rivers state is:Ahoada-Port Harcourt-Omuma lines. Any group south of this line is non Igbo. I have read some articles where some Ijaws have been claiming Igbo groups of Ikwerre, Egbema and Ndoki as their group. This sort of idiotic aggression must stop.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
Does ijaw own any significant part of PH?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 10:49pm On Aug 23, 2010
@Naijaking: Abuloma and environs. But the people of this area say they are Kalabaris and not Ijaws.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 11:09pm On Aug 23, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@Naijaking: Abuloma and environs. But the people of this area say they are Kalabaris and not Ijaws.

Amadiama,fimeama,abuloma,borokiri,town,old gra,tip of iwofe and abonema wharf.they are okrika.traces of kalabari exists only at iwofe
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 11:14pm On Aug 23, 2010
I asked that question, because the loudest claim on PH come from Ijaw personalities. The reality on the ground is that Ikwerre Igbos, Ogonis, Anangs, and Kalabari people own most of the historical PH.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by AndreUweh(m): 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2010
naijaking1:

I asked that question, because the loudest claim on PH come from Ijaw personalities. The reality on the ground is that Ikwerre Igbos, Ogonis, Anangs, and Kalabari people own most of the historical PH.
No anangs and Ogonis. The Imperial govt acquired land from Ikwerre Igbo and Okrika Kalabari.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 12:56am On Aug 24, 2010
The only two tribes of any significance in PH are Ikwerre and Okrika.

Onlytruth:

This claim of Igbo aversion to water is so laughable!  shocked grin So there are no Igbos on both sides of the great river Niger and other rivers in the Niger delta. So only Ijaw can swim?

I laugh with heavy Nnewi accent!  grin

You miss the point entirely. . . .  grin grin grin. . . . of course the Ngwa story is a fable. . . . however this folklore exposes the hydrophobic psyche of the Igbo historians. . . . Ijaw historians can never give water as an excuse for not migrating. . . . Ijaw psyche naturally demands that wherever water flows, one must follow. It is the only conduit of migration for the Ijaw. grin grin grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 1:59am On Aug 24, 2010
Ibime:

You miss the point entirely. . . .  grin grin grin. . . . of course the Ngwa story is a fable. . . . however this folklore exposes the hydrophobic psyche of the Igbo historians. . . . Ijaw historians can never give water as an excuse for not migrating. . . . Ijaw psyche naturally demands that wherever water flows, one must follow. It is the only conduit of migration for the Ijaw.  grin grin grin

You say the Ngwa story is a fable but I doubt it since both the origin of the Ngwa and Ikwerre can be traced to Mbaise. And I am pretty sure Igbos were present at the time when the arrival of the Ijaws came to our regions. Remember population movement was common throughout Ala Igbo in which the Igbo spread in all directs from North to South to East to West. My Aro went East into the Ibibio communities.

Ijaws are not natives to the East. Ijaw language is a language isolate from the Mande-Congo while Yoruba, Igala, Edo and Igbo is Benue-Congo language family. I do not think these Canoe people are native to Nigeria.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Onlytruth(m): 3:34am On Aug 24, 2010
EzeUche22:

You say the Ngwa story is a fable but I doubt it since both the origin of the Ngwa and Ikwerre can be traced to Mbaise. And I am pretty sure Igbos were present at the time when the arrival of the Ijaws came to our regions. Remember population movement was common throughout Ala Igbo in which the Igbo spread in all directs from North to South to East to West. My Aro went East into the Ibibio communities.

Ijaws are not natives to the East. Ijaw language is a language isolate from the Mande-Congo while Yoruba, Igala, Edo and Igbo is Benue-Congo language family. I do not think these Canoe people are native to Nigeria.

I literally fell off my chair and was rolling with laughter! lmao! grin grin grin grin grin

C'mon now bro Ezeuche, you couldn't hate the Ijo that much! grin undecided

This term "canoe people" is killing me.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 7:16am On Aug 24, 2010
How Forest people go dey yab Canoe people?. . . . we prefer to be called War Canoe people or Elerukwo (Waterside people) like the Ikwerre call us. . . .  cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.