Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,249 members, 7,887,709 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:39 PM

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (133442 Views)

Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 3:43am On Aug 23, 2010
EzeUche22:

Thank you! grin
what are you doing tonight?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 3:49am On Aug 23, 2010
THE AMAKA:

what are you doing tonight?

DC chillin.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by THEAMAKA(f): 3:56am On Aug 23, 2010
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Dede1(m): 5:46am On Aug 23, 2010
mrmayor:

I really don't have time for history lesson neither do I have the time to engage in Tribal Battles, I'll give some history outlines, advice do some research.

1. 14th century Ibani people (Bonny to British) (Ubani to Ibos/Igbos) of of the Isedani linage left the homeland (Tubaratoro present day Kolokuma LGA in Bayelsa State)after a civil war.

2. They were led by 3 brothers (1) Alagbariya (2) Asikunuma aka Asimini (3) Opuamakuba. ( Read,Trading States of Oil Rivers by James Currie)

3. They travelled through salt water mangroves,Ogoni land, Ndoki-Azumini, they picked up Ibo/ Igbo people on the way, in Ibani History  name like Opara Ndoli is known  ( Read, Chronicle Of Grand Bonny)

4. Alagbariya was the Hunter and High Priest of Ikuba ( National God of Ibani People) Iguna was its Sacred Animal ( Read Things Fall Apart)

5. Alagbariya in his travels found a place that had the same Ecology as his original Homeland in Central Ijaw. ( Chronicles of Grand Bonny)

6. He named the place OKOLOMA ( Land of Curlew) it had same brackish salt water mangrove ecology as his homeland. All Ijaw refer to Bonny as Okoloma or Ibani

7. He reported to Opuamakuba, the first settled at Orupiri, at that time Tombia people were living at present day Finima (LNG Site) and Abalama people were at Abalamabie.

8. They arrive in the new home and found very little fresh water and Alagbariya as Priest of Ikuba sacrificed his daughter Osunju to the Gods for Fresh Water.

9. History records Opara Ndoli as leader/ Ruler of Ibani people at Orupiri, he didn't make the journey to Okoloma ( Bonny)

10. Opuamakuba was the first ruler in new home Okoloma, when he became old he handed over to Hunter/ Priest Alagbariya.

11. It was during Alagbariya's rule that the Portuguese first arrive. ( Read, Intelligence  Report On Bonny by H. Webber, Lower Niger and its Tribes P.A Talbot)

I'll stop here tonight.

This is terrible attempt to rewrite historical facts. After reading the bullets from numbers 1 to 4, I concluded the piece lacked the basic fact of recorded event which is geographical reference. Anybody who had correct sense of southeastern Nigerian physical geography should understand the most migratory pattern stems from the north to south. Any migratory attempt from present day Bayelsa can not pass through Ogoni and Nduki-Azumini to settle at Okirika. If the migration has originated from Akirika or even Ndoki-Azumini, there is a possibility that it passed Umuagbai through Ogoni to settle in present day Okirirka. Even Jaja and his entourage used canoe in attempt to reach any possible Igbo community along eastern coast and eventually ended up in place called Opobo. Igwe Nga and Ikot Abak (Abasi) were already inhabited by Ndoki (Igbo) and Annangs people. With help of the Igbo people in Igwe Nga, Jaja was able drive the Annangs away. 

We must not forget these people who are trying very hard to rewrite history were “Canoe People” who came to southeastern coast of Nigeria as porters to Europeans. Any inroad migration they made to the hinterland mimicked the European exploratory pattern. Again, there is no ethnic group known as Okirika or Kalabari. Kalabari is another bastardized name the Europeans (Spain) gave to Calaber as Calibari.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 6:13am On Aug 23, 2010
"Mr. Onueze Chukwujindu Joe Okocha (SAN), a.k.a OCJ Okocha, is an Ikwerre heavy-weight and a former President of Nigerian Bar Association. OCJ, In his speech to Ogbako Ikwerre USA, told his kinsmen that the Ikwerres could have had more than one source of origin, and that Arochukwu is just one undeniable one. He credited the founding of two out of the four segments of Ikwerre to Arochukwu."

If this is indeed true, Arochukwu influence has was wider than I thought!

From Arochukwu to Ikwerre from Ikwerre to Cameroon, my people are truly widespread. And knowing now that Goodluck grandfather hailed from Arochukwu is amazing as well.

Maybe it is true. Aro Igbo were the Fulani of the East. Hate using that comparison though.

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ow11(m): 6:24am On Aug 23, 2010
Dede1:

We must not forget these people who are trying very hard to rewrite history were “Canoe People” who came to southeastern coast of Nigeria as porters to Europeans. Any inroad migration they made to the hinterland mimicked the European exploratory pattern. Again, there is no ethnic group known as Okirika or Kalabari. Kalabari is another bastardized name the Europeans (Spain) gave to Calaber as Calibari.   

History 101 according to dede1! You can't even imagine. So what do you call the people who call themselves Kalabari and Okrika today?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Ibime(m): 7:00am On Aug 23, 2010
Dede1:

Anybody who had correct sense of southeastern Nigerian physical geography should understand the migratory pattern stems from the north to south. Any migratory attempt from present day Bayelsa can not pass through Ogoni and Nduki-Azumini to settle at Okirika. If the migration has originated from Akirika or even Ndoki-Azumini, there is a possibility that it passed Umuagbai through Ogoni to settle in present day Okirirka.

Ijaw migration is from West (Warri) to East, not North to South. . . why would someone migrate from Ndoki (East) to Okrika (West)? Ndoki is a recent settlement sef. Does Ndoki have a meaning in Igbo language, cos I can tell you what Ndokiari means in Okrika.

Migration route is obviously from Bayelsa eastward.

From Bayelsa to Kalabari is just a hop across Buguma River. From Kalabari to Okrika is along some small creeks, till you reach Port Harcourt Harbour at the far end of Borokiri. If you follow this downstream you eventually link up with Bonny River, taking you to Bonny. As you travel East along the Bonny Coast, you meet Imo River along which you find Opobo and Ikot Abasi to the East, and Ogoni to the West. . . . then finally Igboland.

Kalabari is bordered to the North by Ikwerre, likewise Okrika. You dont have to pass through any foreign lands to migrate by canoe from Warri - Bayelsa - Kalabari - Okrika - Bonny. . . not necessarily in that order if you go along the Atlantic coast.

Dede1:

We must not forget these people who are trying very hard to rewrite history were “Canoe People” who came to southeastern coast of Nigeria as porters to Europeans.

grin grin grin. . . . no comment!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 7:04am On Aug 23, 2010
If this is all true, these "Canoe People" are occupying land that was not their own. We Igbos have more claim to the south-east than these Ijaw who migrated from Warri. Very interesting.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 7:08am On Aug 23, 2010
these people who are trying very hard to rewrite history were “Canoe People” who came to southeastern coast of Nigeria as porters to Europeans. Any inroad migration they made to the hinterland mimicked the European exploratory pattern. Again, there is no ethnic group known as Okirika or Kalabari. Kalabari is another bastardized name the Europeans (Spain) gave to Calaber as Calibari

Thanks for letting us know this fact.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by Abagworo(m): 8:53am On Aug 23, 2010
Why are people wasting their time?if you go back to history written in pre-colonial times,the okrika and bonny admitted being founded by igbos long before the arrival of some ijaws.the stories we hear now are very recent and are therefore manipulated.the most important thing is that they are presently ijaw and not igbo.some ijaw elements also entered into igboland along the banks of imo and aba river and are presently ndoki and ngwa.the past is history.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by igboboy1(m): 8:57am On Aug 23, 2010
Igbo this, Ijaw that, this is going too far, Port harcourt has past the stage where the igbos nor the Ijaws can claim sole ownership so they both better learn to share,

Reminds me of warri where the Itsekiri lay ownership (whether true or not), Warri has also passed that stage cos u obviously have urhobo areas, Ijaw areas and itsekiri areas so they all better learn how to live as one cos nobody is going anywhere

1 Like

Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 9:40am On Aug 23, 2010
Ndokiari means Ndu (ndi) Okrika.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 9:42am On Aug 23, 2010
Pray what does it mean in Ijaw?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by beneli(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2010
Abagworo:

Why are people wasting their time?if you go back to history written in pre-colonial times,the okrika and bonny admitted being founded by igbos long before the arrival of some ijaws.the stories we hear now are very recent and are therefore manipulated.the most important thing is that they are presently ijaw and not igbo.some ijaw elements also entered into igboland along the banks of imo and aba river and are presently ndoki and ngwa.the past is history.

So what you are now saying is that Ndi-Ngwa are Ijaw migrants-na wa O! Pray, tell; from which history books did this one come from?! 

I stifle a laugh in Ngwa: meanwhile make me sef go begin dust my history books as dis attempt at historical revisionism tori done pass me. I swear!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:36am On Aug 23, 2010
I stifle a laugh in Ngwa: meanwhile make me sef go begin dust my history books as dis attempt at historical revisionism tori done pass me. I swear!

Thtas what you should first have done instead of displaying your pitiful ignorance on this thread.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 11:38am On Aug 23, 2010
This particular thread is not for jokers and intellectual lilliputians. So caution yourself before making a bkbabe like post here.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 12:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

Ndokiari means Ndu (ndi) Okrika.
Komando, please stop. You're entirely wrong for this. Stop talking about a people's history you seem to know little to nothing about.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:05pm On Aug 23, 2010
beneli:

So what you are now saying is that Ndi-Ngwa are Ijaw migrants-na wa O! Pray, tell; from which history books did this one come from?! 

No, Dee. Instead, all Abagworo is saying is that some Ijo migrants made their way inland, up to ala Ngwa and ali Ndoki.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by chyz(m): 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2010
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by beneli(m): 1:14pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ChinenyeN my brother, perhaps what Abagworo meant to write is: 'and are presently in Ndoki and Ngwa'; but that wasn't how I interpreted it from what he wrote. My bad then!

@ the non-'intellectual liliputian'; what's with the insults?!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 1:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
Abagworo:

That's my point. We need historical account written before Justice Mohammed Nasir messed up and carved up Igboland in order to weaken Biafra. People who believe and quote "modified" history written after this man's hostile action against the Igbos might as well go read a Bible re-written in 2009 to show that Jesus actually used the internet to assemble his disciples.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 2:24pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ the non-'intellectual liliputian'; what's with the insults?!

Not insults just a welcome shot to shake off your jjc a la this thread. Peace.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 2:29pm On Aug 23, 2010
Chinenyen
This thread is not about just the ngwa, but about Igboland and it's environs and final borders: you iritate the rest of us when you contrive to make it about Ngwa. Why don't you just stop. Nbwa may be the biggest Igbo kingdom, but can never be more importwnt than the whole of Igbo land. And if you people came from Okrika and Bonny nko? that does not detract from your inportance WITHIN Igboland.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

Chinenyen
This thread is not about just the ngwa, but about Igboland and it's environs and final borders: you iritate the rest of us when you contrive to make it about Ngwa. Why don't you just stop. Nbwa may be the biggest Igbo kingdom, but can never be more importwnt than the whole of Igbo land. And if you people came from Okrika and Bonny nko? that does not detract from your inportance WITHIN Igboland.
I'm not sure what this post of yours above has to do with my earlier response to one of your comments. . .
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 2:37pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

Chinenyen

You spoke the truth. In the annals of Igbo history, the Ngwa are not that important compared to other groups whose influences can be felt throughout Alaigbo and the East.

[b]Nri, Arochukwu, Ohafia, Onitsha, Igbo-Ukwu, Orlu and Nnewi [/b]could be considered very important, but when do people talk about Ngwa. Only when you mention Aba or the Aba women's riot.

To think that an Ngwa would try to be like this even though his ancestors came from a Core Igboland area in Mbaise. While an Aro such as myself who has Igbo and Ibibio elements in our blood consider ourselves as wholly Igbo. And me like many Aro Igbo speak both Igbo and Ibibio. Do the Ngwa speak both Igbo and Ijaw? No. . .
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2010
EzeUche22:

the Ngwa are not that important compared to other groups
grin a begi, help me understand why you're getting so worked up, over an unimportant group, like the Ngwa? With ya post, i go bi laik se una no need Ngwa, apparently, if other groups' influences are more efficient. So for wetin yu de give ya sef high blood pressure? grin
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by naijaking1: 2:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
EzeUche22:

You spoke the truth. In the annals of Igbo history, the Ngwa are not that important compared to other groups whose influences can be felt throughout Alaigbo and the East.

[b]Nri, Arochukwu, Ohafia, Onitsha, Igbo-Ukwu, Orlu and Nnewi [/b]could be considered very important, but when do people talk about Ngwa. Only when you mention Aba or the Aba women's riot.

To think that an Ngwa would try to be like this even though his ancestors came from a Core Igboland area in Mbaise. While an Aro such as myself who has Igbo and Ibibio elements in our blood consider ourselves as wholly Igbo. And me like many Aro Igbo speak both Igbo and Ibibio. Do the Ngwa speak both Igbo and Ijaw? No. . .
I can't believe you guys.
Remember: Onye zota ala, ozota ute
Meaning, you first have to secure a space first, then secure a sleeping mat; not vice versa!
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 2:47pm On Aug 23, 2010
ChinenyeN:

grin a begi, help me understand why you're getting so worked up, over an unimportant group, like the Ngwa? With ya post, i go bi laik se una no need Ngwa, apparently, if other groups' influences are more efficient. So for wetin yu de give ya sef high blood pressure? grin

I am getting upset, because such a mediocre clan that is clearly Igbo would try to separate themselves from the wider Igbo even though your people came down from Mbaise.

The Aro people are clearly mixed, yet we do not act in such a way.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2010
grin Bros, a begi, calm bodi down naa. Hypertenshion no guud.

EzeUche22:

The Aro people are clearly mixed, yet we do not act in such a way.
. . . and this concerns Ngwa, how?
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 2:52pm On Aug 23, 2010
@ Ezeuche
You are watering down the influence of your thread and your own staus as one of the Onye Ndu Ndi Igbo of Nairaland by engaing in an Aro-Ngwa debate with ChinenyeN. For all you know he is bk babe, and you are fallen into his trap as he repeatedly tries to derail your thread. Focus on your original topic, something that has made waves even outside this forum.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by komando: 2:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
The Aros and the Ngwas are as important as any other groyp, including the Nnewis: no more, no less. Please ignore my misspellings in the last post.
Re: The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) by EzeUche22(m): 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2010
komando:

@ Ezeuche
You are watering down the influence of your thread and your own staus as one of the Onye Ndu Ndi Igbo of Nairaland by engaing in an Aro-Ngwa debate with ChinenyeN. For all you know he is bk babe, and you are fallen into his trap as he repeatedly tries to derail your thread. Focus on your original topic, something that has made waves even outside this forum.

I was wrong. . . Historical bad blood between the Ngwa and the Aro gives me a headache. And when entities like ChinenyeN like to use bait, sometimes I fall for the bait.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (70) (Reply)

18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.