Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,027 members, 7,915,980 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 01:22 PM

Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? (5494 Views)

Boko Haram: Always Tell Nigerians The Truth – Ezekwesili To Buhari / Nigeria Will Evacuate Nationals If South Africa Attacks Worsen – Minister / Positive Things About Africa You Won't Hear In The West - Bbc Reporter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 12:29am On Aug 30, 2010
Beaf:

Question.
Do these things you enjoy make you slag off Nigeria to every passing foreigner, as is the case with the OP?

Like i said before. i do not need to say anything. the evidence is there for all to see. you seem to think Nigeria is an island.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 12:30am On Aug 30, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Bidemi12 said:

It's not about succour. It's a simple fact of life that if country A gains independence in 1776 while country B gained hers in 1960, country A will be far ahead of country B in meeting her national objectives and development targets. It's not rocket science.

Okay.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by CareTaker1(m): 12:37am On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12:

Na small pikin de do you. As far as i am concerned that is no braver person than i. I live it every freaking day and i dont just talk about it.

I lived outside the country like you, i retired from living there about five years ago, small pikin matter never enteram, i am 45 plus and i have a family of 5, my visit to your heavenly countries were just pleasure trips, learn to work harder so that you can come back to repair una house abeg.

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 12:47am On Aug 30, 2010
Care-Taker:

I lived outside the country like you, i retired from living there about five years ago, small pikin matter never enteram, i am 45 plus and i have a family of 5, my visit to your heavenly countries were just pleasure trips, learn to work harder so that you can come back to repair una house abeg.

God Bless Nigeria!

Who's taking about age? my bro's dont even go there. I am talking about your mentality and the fact that you were talking about bravery. I am a senior NCO in the highly respected, highly motivated US army. i live the life. so don't tell me about bravery. aside that, when i used to live in Nigeria i have had to build from scratch 2 businesses destroyed by the unfavorable climate that nigeria represents. That my guy is enough to kill a man's moral.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by ladej(m): 1:37am On Aug 30, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Bidemi12 said:

It's not about succour. It's a simple fact of life that if country A gains independence in 1776 while country B gained hers in 1960, country A will be far ahead of country B in meeting her national objectives and development targets. It's not rocket science.
i agree here. a 184 year head start isnt to be sniffed at. having sad that we still have cases like the Governmental response to calamities such as hurricane Katrina. the world saw it. God bless Nigeria always
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 30, 2010
Thanks ladej. Even the USA, despite achieving independence as far back as 1776, did not grant everyone full voting rights until the 1960s.

Excerpts:

full enfranchisement of all citizens was not secured until after the African-American Civil Rights Movement gained passage by United States Congress of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_suffrage
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 1:51am On Aug 30, 2010
ladej:

i agree here. a 184 year head start isnt to be sniffed at. having sad that we still have cases like the Governmental response to calamities such as hurricane Katrina. the world saw it. God bless Nigeria always

No country without problems. what we are talking about is the percentage of problems compared to daily existence. katrina was/is the exception to the rule. i have lived here long enough to know how they think. They live a life filled with proceedures whereby if such an occurence were ever to happen again there will be a step by step guide on how to tackle it. Let me explain; i live in a city that is prone to tonadoes and hurricanes. we have a guide on how to evacuate in case of an emergency. These guidelines were possible because of the calamity that katrina represents. They make mistakes and learn from it. can you say the same for Nigeria? we repeat the same mistakes over and over again so much so that you think amnesia is an epidemic in the country.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:56am On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12 said:

i live in a city that is prone to tonadoes and hurricanes. we have a guide on how to evacuate in case of an emergency. These guidelines were possible because of the calamity that katrina represents. They make mistakes and learn from it. can you say the same for Nigeria?

Err no, probably because we don't have hurricanes and tornadoes there. (rolls eyes)
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 1:58am On Aug 30, 2010
ROSSIKE:

bidemi12 said:

Err no, probably because we don't have hurricanes and earthquakes there.

Are you 12 years old? how convenient for you to ignore the point
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by helen07(f): 3:56am On Aug 30, 2010
I highly appreciate your honesty. By telling the truth, rather then lying in the name of patriotism, may have endear you and your country in the eyes of the questioner.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by IBEXY(m): 7:22am On Aug 30, 2010
As per this teenager called ROSSIKE, the way forward is to contribute N1000 (after paying taxes and levies) for Nigeria to recover. GENIUS. I suspect the account number will be your personal own. Afterall its the norm in Naija.

Keep deceiving yourself. Most of us are already doing more than we should for naija. The pain comes from when you realise that people like you end up being in governement with no clue on how to move things forward. Do you know how much foreign exchange comes via the "loudmouths" based abroad to naija? Do you know how many community projects we have done back home? I for one comes from a place where we had to do everything for ourselves despite paying taxes for milleniums. Schools, hospitals, roads even security from armed robbers. You think people are happy looking back home and the situation is worsening?

ROSSIKE:

bidemi12 link=topic=504105.msg6662955#msg6662955 date=1283122089:
what most fail to realize is that your idea of "GOOD" is complete rubbish to a foreign national. Good is when you can depend on the police to come within 5 minutes of calling them. Good is when there is electricity to power the electronic devices you spent your hard earned funds to purchase. Good is when you can depend on the healthcare system to cater for your family's needs. Good is when you can hope for a reasonable chance of employment when you graduate from college. Good is when you embark on a journey of 2hrs and get there in 2hrs. Not get there in 6hrs because of bad roads and police extortion points. Good is when you cast your vote and you are sure it counts. You see my fellow Nigerian, you can color the truth with words but the evidence is abound for all to see.

My fellow Nigerian, the utopian society you just painted simply does not exist anywhere in the world, including  America, Switzerland, Britain, and Germany. Sure, they are ahead of us in meeting those ideals, but they are ALL far from being anything like perfect. It's quite fruitless painting a picture of a developed society and wondering why Nigeria is not like that. We will get there in our own time.  What we should focus on are the signs of incremental progress, of which there are MANY.

Listen to yourself: Mr Rossike thinks an efficient police and constant power supply only exists in an Utopian society.

ROSSIKE:
You obviously did not factor in the ''faulty system of Naija'' into your business plan risk assessment. Those who do this tend to succeed. Don't blame Nigerians for your oversight please.
and what are these things you need to factor in: allowance for bribery and corruption, massive tax bill that will not produce any results, constant harrasement from local govt touts and kidnappers, zero power supply, bad roads, gun shots in the night, bribe oriented law enforcement etc. How do you do honest business in a climate like that? How will it change if you dont complain? If you keep factoring this resolvable defects into business, govt will relax thinking all is well. Suffering and smilling - like the great Fela said.

Oh I nearly forgot my footer (had to edit the post fast). One poster here cannot decipher the English. He thinks it must be taken in some strange "American context". He says I dont know the meaning of "blessed". I feel honoured to drink from the cup of his infinite wisdom. Here goes:

God bless Nigeria --- NO! (he already blessed us, he gave us everything we need - even more than UK and other countries.)
GOD HELP NIGERIA --- YES (we need his grace - to save us from the children of the politicians and corrupt bureaucrats who come to nairaland to defend their  parents)
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by CareTaker1(m): 11:40am On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12:

Who's taking about age? my bro's dont even go there. I am talking about your mentality and the fact that you were talking about bravery. I am a senior NCO in the highly respected, highly motivated US army. i live the life. so don't tell me about bravery. aside that, when i used to live in Nigeria i have had to build from scratch 2 businesses destroyed by the unfavorable climate that nigeria represents. That my guy is enough to kill a man's moral.

I can't change my mentality to surrender like you, i have been friends with some Nigerians who were in US army, i have been around many of them who were not my friends, i know their mentality. Mostly unproductive incapable lazy lousy loudmouths, they think they know it all, they think they have arrived until they are posted to Afghanistan, Iraq or just south Korea, then you see the so called Nigerian born brave US soldiers defect to Nigeria.

Second class citizenship is not my aspiration. Nigerian boys in the US army are mostly losers who could not make ends meet, they joined the army to find solace, many could not fend for themselves, they live as though they are niggas
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 12:03pm On Aug 30, 2010
Care-Taker:

I can't change my mentality to surrender like you, i have been friends with some Nigerians who were in US army, i have been around many of them who were not my friends, i know their mentality. Mostly unproductive incapable lazy lousy loudmouths, they think they know it all, they think they have arrived until they are posted to Afghanistan, Iraq or just south Korea, then you see the so called Nigerian born brave US soldiers defect to Nigeria.

Second class citizenship is not my aspiration. Nigerian boys in the US army are mostly losers who could not make ends meet, they joined the army to find solace, many could not fend for themselves, they live as though they are niggas

I too like you jare. make your point anyway you can. proof of a fu.cked up mentality. obviously you are not describing the organization i belong to. Anyone worth his/her salt would be a fool to believe such nonsense. Lazy indeed. how i wish i could take you on 5 mile run just for kicks to show you how lazy i am. or perhaps engage you in combatives 101 to soften you up a bit. you better do thorough research before start spewing nonsense. I am not suprised you know lazy nigerians. I can bet my life you were deported. No worry oluwole still de. try your luck.  grin
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Ranoscky(m): 1:16pm On Aug 30, 2010
Care Taker

I believe u jare!

Even if Nigeria was as organised as US back in d days, doz nigerians in d US army would NEVER join d Nigeria army!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by LFJ: 1:29pm On Aug 30, 2010
ROSSIKE:

LFJ said:

It is idiots like you with a deep inferiority complex who will readily spit on anything Nigerian.

Fact is, if you DON'T want to see anything positive about Nigeria, you won't. If you DO, you will.

The fact you DON'T want to see anything positive can be seen by your silly list above: ''Chilld abuse - yes, women abuse - yes'' etc etc.

What rubbish is that?

What country on earth does not experience child abuse and so on, even more than Nigeria?

Or ''company closing down - yes''.

What about the companies STARTING UP?

Are they not Nigerian?

''Roads - no''.

Which large developing country on earth has a perfect road network? Not one. Those things take time to accomplish, and it's no reason for you to insult the country.

If you wish to see bad alone, that's ALL you'll see.

And as for the original poster, I think you're a complete disgrace, although I don't really blame you, since you picked up your inferiority complex and self hatred from other so-called Nigerians.

I had your attitude many many years ago when I lived in the US. There I met a Liberian guy at a party, who'd just fled the civil war there. We began discussing outside the gig. He asked me about Nigeria. I began insulting the country, almost without thinking. Just a stream of negativities,   The guy was shocked and looked at me in horror. ''How can you speak like that about your country''? he asked. He said Liberia was a total wreck, having fled from civil war, but he could never speak of his country with such disdain.

I felt so little -  me,  a pampered middle class Nigerian who'd benefitted from some of the best services an African country could offer its citizens, from a good education at a Federal govt college, to well paid parents living the Nigerian Dream, with two cars and a duplex + househelps, and the odd summer trip to London, and here I was being lectured on love for my country by a guy who was fleeing civil war and societal breakdown of a kind I couldn't imagine.

From that day, I began to love Nigeria, and will always thank God for Nigeria, and pray for its continued progress come what may, and highlight, when speaking to foreigners especially, the beauty and generosity of its people, and the mighty potential of the country.

@Rossike, I believe I am entitled to my opinion the same way you are entitled to yours.  What is wrong with saying what you feel about your country or about the opinion of others without insulting the other person for not saying it the way you want it. There was no courtesy in your writing and it is very disappointing for a self acclaimed globe trotter like yourself. You should know better!

Your manner of response clearly defined the kind of misguided education you have if you really had any; calling me an "idiots"  shows what you lack in home training and concluding that my position has to do with inferiority complex shows how myopic your brain is. You would have done better by lecturing me on all the positives things you know about our country which I don’t know or, perhaps, write about the positive things about Nigeria which I discredited before resulting to name calling. Is it an offence to have different perspectives on issues?  Perhaps, my  refusal to be fooled and brainwashed like yourself who pretend that everything is gold when it’s very clear that our future and that of our children are in danger makes me an "idiots" .
Mr. Good citizen or Patriotic Nigerian, Please, can you tell me which one is not true about Nigeria from my list; 
Electricity     - No
Health care system   - No
Security            -   No
Road            -   No
Education            -   Zero
Economic Development      -   Zero
Good water system                       -   Zero
Transportation system       -   Hun! Hun!
Good Governance         -    zero
Criminals in position of Authority   -   Yes
Corruption          -   Yes
Fake pharmaceutical drugs            -   Yes
Company shutting down      -   Yes
Unemployment          –    yes
Poverty             –    yes
Child abuse          –    yes
Women abuse          –    yes
Sound Financial Institution      -   No

Mr. Patriotic Nigerian, who told you that you love Nigeria more than I do or more than anyone, what gave you the impression that you have a higher stake than I do or who told you that you have contributed to the growth of Nigeria more than what I have done. You should be disturbed if I say what the world doesn’t know about us. If you are widely travelled as you claimed, you will not come over here to insult anybody, if out of concern for my country, I listed all what I feel should not be only for you and your rich parents who are living their Nigerian dream. Except your sojourn across the globe includes only countries like the Congo, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Afghanistan amongst other war ravaged countries, then I’ll understand your ridiculous argument.
A proud Nigerian will not be ashamed to tell people that at this age in the life of our country, all the under listed are still a nightmare in a country that claims to be the giant of Africa;
• Stable electricity
• Sound education
• Good Health care
• Road
• Security
• Transportation
• Good Water system
• Governance, Etc

I am not proud and will never be proud of the fact that at this age we are still struggling with what democracy is all about. Where is the freedom of speech if a young man like you comes online to insult people just because they refuse to praise inefficiency in our system? You should be worried if I condemn our beautiful culture, the struggle of our fore fathers, the effort of hardworking Nigerians and those who have labored hard to see that we achieve a better Nigeria.

For your knowledge, it is not an error to add child abuse to my list, if that is not a concern to you because you and your family had never witnessed one, click on the links below, and prove me wrong that this should not be a concern to any right thinking Nigerian!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/25/nigeria.child.witches/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXE_nfQ8IBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVVbGEOoCM&p=F9E4E3F13B8369E0&playnext=1&index=37

Mr. Patriotic, so after 50 years of independence, tell me who the fool is between both of us, to still buy the idea that it takes time to accomplish those basic things I listed. If 50 years is not enough to have those things, please, tell me Mr. ‘Rebranding’, how many more years do we need to get there. If stating what is obvious about my county is what is making you go crazy like this, then you have a job to do; definitely, not with those who are feeling aggrieved with the system that has failed to give them not all but some of the basic things that would aid a better livelihood, but to those who have failed to make the future a promising one for you, me and our children.

Whatever your Liberian friend lectured you about your country or how you feel about Nigeria is immaterial to me and does not suppress my opinion. If what you enjoy as “a pampered middle class Nigerian who benefitted from some of the best services an African country could offer it citizens, from being taught at a Federal govt college (I don’t think you’re educated!), to well-paid parents living the Nigerian Dream - with two cars and a duplex + househelps, and the odd summer trip to London” falsely gives you the impression that you are big, special and can insult anybody for having a different view from yours, then I maintain my position that you are a fool. I am humble to tell you that God has blessed me more than that, because for what you claim you enjoy from your parent, I have already game more than that to my beautiful kids since age of 32 years and that was 4 years ago. It is not by my making, it is by the special grace of God. I am just deeply concerned about the future of my children and that of the average Nigerian and not about how your middle class Nigerian parents are living their Nigerian dream or how they provided you with the luxury of going to Fed. College and summer trips to London. What does these have to do with poor electricity, poor education, corruption, good governance etc in Nigeria. In fact, your manner of writing which depicts your way of thinking shows the fallen standard of education in public institutions like Federal government colleges in Nigeria which you mentioned, it explains why so many parents would send their kids to private schools.

I will advise you to learn how to talk, or present your position on issues with reasonable facts without insulting others.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 1:29pm On Aug 30, 2010
Ranoscky:

Care Taker

I believe u jare!

Even if Nigeria was as organised as US back in d days, doz nigerians in d US army would NEVER join d Nigeria army!

That is exactly the point. I live where i live and do what i do to better me and my family's lives. If Nigeria had gotten it's game together nobody would go anywhere. I'd rather die giving my family a guaranteed future than live a life of uncertainty. not having an idea where the wind would blow for my children.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by CareTaker1(m): 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12:

I too like you jare. make your point anyway you can. proof of a fu.cked up mentality. obviously you are not describing the organization i belong to. Anyone worth his/her salt would be a fool to believe such nonsense. Lazy indeed. how i wish i could take you on 5 mile run just for kicks to show you how lazy i am. or perhaps engage you in combatives 101 to soften you up a bit. you better do thorough research before start spewing nonsense. I am not suprised you know lazy nigerians. I can bet my life you were deported. No worry oluwole still de. try your luck.  grin

I have never been and can never be deported, i have my documents intact.

Tell the truth, have you not heard of a Nigerian who defected to Nigeria because he was posted to one
of these waring countries? I know somethings that happen in the Us military camp, a US army lady once boasted and i quote "i make more money prostituting than i make as my salary", her target in the camp are the senior officers, i know that apart from your pay-pack, a little part-time gay escapades helps some military boys.
I know that military job is the last or should i say a rare choice for anybody in the US.

Being a military man in the US can be equated with being a military man in Nigeria, the difference is the economy, its just as honorable as being a military man here bro.

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by ziga: 2:35pm On Aug 30, 2010
LFJ:

@Rossike, I believe I am entitled to my opinion the same way you are entitled to yours.  What is wrong with saying what you feel about your country or about the opinion of others without insulting the other person for not saying it the way you want it. There was no courtesy in your writing and it is very disappointing for a self acclaimed globe trotter like yourself. You should know better!

Your manner of response clearly defined the kind of misguided education you have if you really had any; calling me an "idiots"  shows what you lack in home training and concluding that my position has to do with inferiority complex shows how myopic your brain is. You would have done better by lecturing me on all the positives things you know about our country which I don’t know or, perhaps, write about the positive things about Nigeria which I discredited before resulting to name calling. Is it an offence to have different perspectives on issues?  Perhaps, my  refusal to be fooled and brainwashed like yourself who pretend that everything is gold when it’s very clear that our future and that of our children are in danger makes me an "idiots" .
Mr. Good citizen or Patriotic Nigerian, Please, can you tell me which one is not true about Nigeria from my list; 
Electricity     - No
Health care system   - No
Security            -   No
Road            -   No
Education            -   Zero
Economic Development      -   Zero
Good water system                       -   Zero
Transportation system       -   Hun! Hun!
Good Governance         -    zero
Criminals in position of Authority   -   Yes
Corruption          -   Yes
Fake pharmaceutical drugs            -   Yes
Company shutting down      -   Yes
Unemployment          –    yes
Poverty             –    yes
Child abuse          –    yes
Women abuse          –    yes
Sound Financial Institution      -   No

Mr. Patriotic Nigerian, who told you that you love Nigeria more than I do or more than anyone, what gave you the impression that you have a higher stake than I do or who told you that you have contributed to the growth of Nigeria more than what I have done. You should be disturbed if I say what the world doesn’t know about us. If you are widely travelled as you claimed, you will not come over here to insult anybody, if out of concern for my country, I listed all what I feel should not be only for you and your rich parents who are living their Nigerian dream. Except your sojourn across the globe includes only countries like the Congo, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Afghanistan amongst other war ravaged countries, then I’ll understand your ridiculous argument.
A proud Nigerian will not be ashamed to tell people that at this age in the life of our country, all the under listed are still a nightmare in a country that claims to be the giant of Africa;
• Stable electricity
• Sound education
• Good Health care
• Road
• Security
• Transportation
• Good Water system
• Governance, Etc

I am not proud and will never be proud of the fact that at this age we are still struggling with what democracy is all about. Where is the freedom of speech if a young man like you comes online to insult people just because they refuse to praise inefficiency in our system? You should be worried if I condemn our beautiful culture, the struggle of our fore fathers, the effort of hardworking Nigerians and those who have labored hard to see that we achieve a better Nigeria.

For your knowledge, it is not an error to add child abuse to my list, if that is not a concern to you because you and your family had never witnessed one, click on the links below, and prove me wrong that this should not be a concern to any right thinking Nigerian!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/25/nigeria.child.witches/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXE_nfQ8IBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVVbGEOoCM&p=F9E4E3F13B8369E0&playnext=1&index=37

Mr. Patriotic, so after 50 years of independence, tell me who the fool is between both of us, to still buy the idea that it takes time to accomplish those basic things I listed. If 50 years is not enough to have those things, please, tell me Mr. ‘Rebranding’, how many more years do we need to get there. If stating what is obvious about my county is what is making you go crazy like this, then you have a job to do; definitely, not with those who are feeling aggrieved with the system that has failed to give them not all but some of the basic things that would aid a better livelihood, but to those who have failed to make the future a promising one for you, me and our children.

Whatever your Liberian friend lectured you about your country or how you feel about Nigeria is immaterial to me and does not suppress my opinion. If what you enjoy as “a pampered middle class Nigerian who benefitted from some of the best services an African country could offer it citizens, from being taught at a Federal govt college (I don’t think you’re educated!), to well-paid parents living the Nigerian Dream - with two cars and a duplex + househelps, and the odd summer trip to London” falsely gives you the impression that you are big, special and can insult anybody for having a different view from yours, then I maintain my position that you are a fool. I am humble to tell you that God has blessed me more than that, because for what you claim you enjoy from your parent, I have already game more than that to my beautiful kids since age of 32 years and that was 4 years ago. It is not by my making, it is by the special grace of God. I am just deeply concerned about the future of my children and that of the average Nigerian and not about how your middle class Nigerian parents are living their Nigerian dream or how they provided you with the luxury of going to Fed. College and summer trips to London. What does these have to do with poor electricity, poor education, corruption, good governance etc in Nigeria. In fact, your manner of writing which depicts your way of thinking shows the fallen standard of education in public institutions like Federal government colleges in Nigeria which you mentioned, it explains why so many parents would send their kids to private schools.

I will advise you to learn how to talk, or present your position on issues with reasonable facts without insulting others. 

When you present facts, you have to present it in an objective way.

All the facts you highlighted happen in every country in the world to varying degrees, so it seems to me like you picked these things out of grudge rather than true objectivity.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by LFJ: 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2010
ziga:

All the facts you highlighted happen in every country in the world to varying degrees, so it seems to me like you picked these things out of grudge rather than true objectivity.

I think this is where you get it wrong; it is painful to hear the truth, because it is bitter. What grudges do I have against my country, except that I am not happy with the system, and I don’t want to pretend that all is gold when millions are crying and dying of hunger? We are both Nigeria, if we don’t accept the fact that we have problem, how do we want to solve it. How does listing what I feel is missing in my country make me an unpatriotic citizen.

What I listed happened in other countries but definitely not at our own level. I feel concern like every Nigerians. I want a better Nigeria; I want my children to see a better Nigeria. I want to see democracy the way it should be; I want to see good governance. If life is about me and my family you will not see me making comment here because I thank God for His mercy. I am contributing in my own way; I am hardworking Nigeria like you. I have contributed physically and financially to see a better Nigeria. I am not a lazy type; I don’t just sit and talk. I love Nigeria and I pray that one day we will conquer the criminals in power who is profiting from helpless Nigerians.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by IBEXY(m): 4:36pm On Aug 30, 2010
A little music to cool the tempo down a little.
Am playing 2face "For Instance" sorry I cant post the vid here.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by melidee: 6:58pm On Aug 30, 2010
Nigeria is a great place that is why you will see approx 5 foreigners per plane load coming out of nigeria
When you arrive at the airport you will collect your lugguage and then you must place your luggage and open it for all to see cause you are special and everyone must see your wonderful luggage at the forcourt of the arrivals baggage collection. They dont check it really its just to start your holiday in comfort (maybe it was to give them money dont know cause i was with a nigerian) before you are met by about three more people from the airport all wonting to check your passport ( is that all just four times only happens once in england. Then people will rush up to you to sell you their currency. The roads when you are driving are so luxurously bumpy if you went to fast you could see yourself in heaven before your great grandmother. Its so fun no traffic lights so everyone just trys to do their own thing straghit ahead, left, right.Could get stuck like that for an exciting 2hours if your extra lucky maybe even 4. The beach at victoria island is so arty with lots papers, tin cans,food packets you name it all over the place. wonderful! Whilst your driving with family poilce will stop the car and ask you how can you help them ( bribe) or they may tell you that you are smoking next to the driver (bribe) or that a male should not wear to earings in that state and arrest you if you dont generously donate to the dam corrupt good for nothing but money people excellent. When you are left alone you may vist a (joint) place to eat and drink. Where there maybe three different bussiness but nobody to clean the one public toilet and dont break yoiur neck as you jump over sewege wells at the side of the road be careful balance gently on whateva is used like a peice of wood or mental gate. Dont pay too much attention to the children you see washing cars,selling food or pushing an elderly person in their wheel chairs to beg when they should be at school. WONDERFUL! thats why we have so may Nigerians in the UK Canada and the us Nigeria system is shambolic that petrol your talking about you betta shutupp and stop disgracing yourself the only people that are gaining from that are the rich the country as a whole does not benefit NIGERIA HAS DESTROYED AND DISGRACED THEMSELVES MORE THAN ANY PERSON COUKD EVA OF DONE AND THEN THEY WILL ASK U HOW MUCH PETROL DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR COUNTRY. SO FOOLISH
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by ladej(m): 10:15pm On Aug 30, 2010
melidee:

Nigeria is a great place that is why you will see approx 5 foreigners per plane load coming out of nigeria
When you arrive at the airport you will collect your lugguage and then you must place your luggage and open it for all to see cause you are special and everyone must see your wonderful luggage at the forcourt of the arrivals baggage collection. They dont check it really its just to start your holiday in comfort (maybe it was to give them money dont know cause i was with a nigerian) before you are met by about three more people from the airport all wonting to check your passport ( is that all just four times only happens once in england. Then people will rush up to you to sell you their currency. The roads when you are driving are so luxurously bumpy if you went to fast you could see yourself in heaven before your great grandmother. Its so fun no traffic lights so everyone just trys to do their own thing straghit ahead, left, right.Could get stuck like that for an exciting 2hours if your extra lucky maybe even 4. The beach at victoria island is so arty with lots papers, tin cans,food packets you name it all over the place. wonderful! Whilst your driving with family poilce will stop the car and ask you how can you help them ( bribe) or they may tell you that you are smoking next to the driver (bribe) or that a male should not wear to earings in that state and arrest you if you dont generously donate to the dam corrupt good for nothing but money people excellent. When you are left alone you may vist a (joint) place to eat and drink. Where there maybe three different bussiness but nobody to clean the one public toilet and dont break yoiur neck as you jump over sewege wells at the side of the road be careful balance gently on whateva is used like a peice of wood or mental gate. Dont pay too much attention to the children you see washing cars,selling food or pushing an elderly person in their wheel chairs to beg when they should be at school. WONDERFUL! thats why we have so may Nigerians in the UK Canada and the us Nigeria system is shambolic that petrol your talking about you betta shutupp and stop disgracing yourself the only people that are gaining from that are the rich the country as a whole does not benefit NIGERIA HAS DESTROYED AND DISGRACED THEMSELVES MORE THAN ANY PERSON COUKD EVA OF DONE AND THEN THEY WILL ASK U HOW MUCH PETROL DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR COUNTRY. SO FOOLISH
first part creative, conclusion a little personal.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by ladej(m): 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2010
can we all just get along?

facts are facts

opinions are opinions

sentiments are sentiments

lets keep the abuse away please? thanks
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by publisher(m): 10:43pm On Aug 30, 2010
@ ALL
Thousands of people are murdered in Mexico due to drug related crimes,the Mexican police is known to be extremely corrupt, yet MILLIONS of Americans travel to Mexico annually to enjoy their beaches,cuisine amongst other things. If such was Nigeria's fate,many Nigerians will open their mouths and tell the world how cocaine crimes have destroyed the country. When a Nigerian bad mouths his own country in front of a foreigner,he/she does so foolishly. Cos let's face facts;as far as that white man asking u about your country is concerned,Nigeria is NOT a living organism,Nigeria is NOT IBB,Yaradua or Goodluck,Nigeria is NOT Niger-delta or Jos. In that white man's eyes,at the point in time (as he watches you down grade your own country), YOU ARE NIGERIA!!!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:48pm On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12:

Like i said before. i do not need to say anything. the evidence is there for all to see. you seem to think Nigeria is an island.

The bolded is the core of this thread. The topic isn't about if Nigeria is developed or not as you have been arguing. No.
Its about the OP slagging off Nigeria traitorously, even to total strangers and then coming to confess here like he is ill or something. Its all here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504105.0.html#msg6647416

I have never met any foreigner that talks negatively about their country, even Somalians. So why would Nigerians talk like traitors if not for small mindedness, low self-esteem and zero morals? The country might be doing badly, it can even be hell, but certain discussions should only be held between Nigerian sisters and brothers. Anybody doing otherwise is a traitor.

A dog is a dog.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by publisher(m): 10:56pm On Aug 30, 2010
@ ALL
Thousands of people are murdered in Mexico due to drug related crimes,the Mexican police is known to be extremely corrupt, yet MILLIONS of Americans travel to Mexico annually to enjoy their beaches,cuisine amongst other things. If such was Nigeria's fate,many Nigerians will open their mouths and tell the world how cocaine crimes have destroyed the country. When a Nigerian bad mouths his own country in front of a foreigner,he/she does so foolishly. Cos let's face facts;as far as that white man asking u about your country is concerned,Nigeria is NOT a living organism,Nigeria is NOT IBB,Yaradua or Goodluck,Nigeria is NOT Niger-delta or Jos. In that white man's eyes,at that point in time (as he watches you down grade your own country), YOU ARE NIGERIA!!!
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 30, 2010
ziga said to LFJ:

All the facts you highlighted happen in every country in the world to varying degrees, so it seems to me like you picked these things out of grudge  rather than true objectivity.

Thank you ziga. You see, people like LFJ are simply not what we need for Nigeria. This one is zero. That one is zero. Everything is ''zero''. Yet he learned to read, write, get a university education, make money, and travel to US, to settle and work comfortably among world class people in a world class environment, all coming from a land of ''zero''.

Is that possible?

No.

In his bitter world, 2+3 = 0.

Insufficiency means absence.

In fact when I tell you that Nigerians are their own worst enemies, you can see exactly what I mean.

No wonder the whites he worships enter the country and are surprised that we are NOT a land of ''zero'', but simply a developing nation.

But Mr Zero sees different. He sees a country that is not like America and hence, is ''zero''.

Tragic.

LFJ, aka Mr Zero, I think it's best you  remain in the US Army, and I hope you are not among the soldiers the US is planning to send in its AFRICOM missions to destabilize African countries in its planned imperialist drive. I learnt they were actively canvassing for Nigerian recruits a while back.

I don't imagine YOU would have problem obeying their orders.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 11:27pm On Aug 30, 2010
Beaf:

The bolded is the core of this thread. The topic isn't about if Nigeria is developed or not as you have been arguing. No.
Its about the OP slagging off Nigeria traitorously, even to total strangers and then coming to confess here like he is ill or something. Its all here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504105.0.html#msg6647416
I have never met any foreigner that talks negatively about their country, even Somalians. So why would Nigerians talk like traitors if not for small mindedness, low self-esteem and zero morals? The country might be doing badly, it can even be hell, but certain discussions should only be held between Nigerian sisters and brothers. Anybody doing otherwise is a traitor.
A dog is a dog.

i must confess i used to think like you (thank God that period of my life is over) r.a.pe is not only when your body is defiled, it also is when your mind has been mangled to the point of delussion. there is a difference between patriotism and stupidity. if you like say all the so called good things you can conjour up. the truth is there for all to see. things are getting worse and you are talking about good things. kidnapping is now the rave of the moment and you act like it is normal. i understand sha. you know no better. ignorance is your excuse. you have never felt or known true freedom. i pity you.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 30, 2010
i must confess i used to think like you (thank God that period of my life is over) r.a.pe is not only when your body is defiled, it also is when your mind has been mangled to the point of delussion. there is a difference between patriotism and stupidity. if you like say all the so called good things you can conjour up. the truth is there for all to see. things are getting worse and you are talking about good things. kidnapping is now the rave of the moment and you act like it is normal. i understand sha. you know no better. ignorance is your excuse. you have never felt or known true freedom. i pity you.

You're talking of kidnapping, affecting maybe 0.000001% of the Nigerian population. He is talking of SOMALIA, where there is no real government in place, let alone police, where people walk around armed, even children. And war shatters the dawn of every home. Yet you will never hear a Somalian speak of his country with the spiteful disdain that PAMPERED NIGERIANS like you will readily blurt out to the first stranger. 

Are murders not the rave of the moment in America? Have they not ALWAYS been the rave of the moment there?

Tell me what city you live in so I can tell you how many have been murdered there this year alone.

I can guarantee it's more that all the big men that have been kidnapped in the last five years in Nigeria.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by bidemi12(m): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2010
ROSSIKE:

You're talking of kidnapping, affecting maybe 0.000001% of the Nigerian population. He is talking of SOMALIA, where there is no real government in place, let alone police, where people walk around armed, even children. And war shatters the dawn of every home. Yet you will never hear a Somalian speak of his country with the spiteful disdain that PAMPERED NIGERIANS like you will readily blurt out to the first stranger.

first of all slowpoke, i dont give two f.ucks about somalia. second stop talking about things you dont know. how many somalians do you know personaly? i know plenty and they do not delude themselves about their country. you should hear them talk. you really are 12 years old. you just blurt rubbish without thinking.
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Beaf: 11:45pm On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12:

If you a soldier, believe it is right to be a snitch and traitor, I can only wonder.
. . .But maybe you are just a cowardly cook or gardener for the real men who do the fighting sha. All na soldier. cry
Re: Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Aug 30, 2010
bidemi12 said:

first of all slowpoke, i dont give two f.ucks about somalia. second stop talking about things you dont know. how many somalians do you know personaly? i know plenty and they do not delude themselves about their country. you should hear them talk. you really are 12 years old. you just blurt rubbish without thinking.

Dude, if you wish to go down the route of insults, I can dig pretty deep. You do not come her claiming to ''know more Somalians'' since you've never met me. You do not understand the meaning of love for one's country. You cannot claim to love a place in which you see no redeeming qualities worth mentioning. Where ''everything'' is  bad and ''getting worse''.

Do you not know a single leader that's done well in the country? Do you follow what happens in the various states? Do you think Governor Chime Sullivan of Enugu State for instance, has done a great job in expanding basic amenities like pipe-borne water and roads to remote towns and villages? His transformation of the capital Enugu, into a place with revamped infrastructure? What about his newly finalised plans for a monorail for the city?

Have you even HEARD of him?

Y'see it's people like you that act as a check on our dynamism (albeit with little success), by your refusal to put down your arrogance, and follow the country's incremental progress, something you dismiss without investigation.  Afterall, it makes you feel bigger and better if you can simply point your fingers at others and blame them, thus elevating yourself into a patron saint of sorts.

Get this: we are a developing nation. We will get there in our own time. If you cannot handle that, then please stay out and at least don't make things worse for us by dissuading potential visitors from coming to contribute to our economy due to your spite.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice / "Igbos Hate Me Because Of Biafra War" - Buhari In BBC Hausa. / Blame Southwest APC States For Naira Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.