Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,882 members, 7,889,931 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:29 AM

Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm (15834 Views)

Buhari Raises 13-Member Panel To Probe Weapon Procurement Since 2007 / APC Raises Alarm Over Withdrawal Of Customs, Immigration Personnel From Border / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Babosa: 2:16am On Sep 04, 2010
Rubbish, China has over 1b people and yet is the fastest growing econiomy in the world today. Our problem is leadership and we just need to get agriculture and education right. Our large population can be an asset.  However there is nothing wrong in family planning.  Seriously, we need to get accurate census figures. 9m people in lagos, please, more like 15m.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 2:24am On Sep 04, 2010
Babosa:

Rubbish, China has over 1b people and yet is the fastest growing econiomy in the world today. Our problem is leadership and we just need to get agriculture and education right. Our large population can be an asset.  However there is nothing wrong in family planning.  Seriously, we need to get accurate census figures. 9m people in lagos, please, more like 15m.

And who is claiming that Nigeria isn't growing either? Only if u knew how many % of China's population live under the poverty line, you would know that it's not all about growing but developing as well.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by odumchi: 6:22am On Sep 04, 2010
There is an element of truth in the British what good would 210 million people do if 170million of them live on less than 2$ a day?

China solved their pop prob by sending ppl into the army. they did not only use the army to fight but also to build roads, buildings, farming, and manufacturing.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 9:39am On Sep 04, 2010
manny4life:

To the person asking how we know if Nigerians live under $1 per day, according to the World Research Institute; survey data provided by the World Bank Group for Research and Development. Anyone would agree with me that the World Bank Group is a reliable international organization with no motive nor intention against any member country.
my man stop being stupid $1 is 150 naira to say 70 percent of nigerian earn that is just rubbish a bike man, a taxi driver, a mama put seller,a farmer, a news paper vendor, a butcher,a bus driver,even street hawkers make between $10 to $30 a day so where in the hell did u people come up with this one dollar a day rubbish. sagamite u r nothing but an uncle tom go ur massa is calling u
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2010
our problem is not our population is lack of infrastructure which makes the cost of living high, nigerians should learn to stop bad mouthing our country .silly people $1 dollar my foot angry
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:42am On Sep 04, 2010
Babosa:

Why do you think China is growing so fast?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 10:45am On Sep 04, 2010
igboitalo:

my man stop being silly $1 is 150 naira to say 70 percent of nigerian earn that is just rubbish a bike man, a taxi driver, a mama put seller,a farmer, a news paper vendor, a butcher,a bus driver,even street hawkers make between $10 to $30 a day so where in the hell did u people come up with this one dollar a day rubbish. sagamite u r nothing but an uncle tom go your massa is calling u

This is the kind of rubbish our education system churns out.

No evidence of logic in thoughts and facts is when you throw retarded accusations.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 11:12am On Sep 04, 2010
Sagamite:

Even though I agree with tkb's informal survival sector, I think people should not be too carried away with it.

For example, in the "Welcome to Lagos" BBC documentary, I can fervently remember when the man that was a lotto "mathematician guru" won N14K on a lotto, he and his family were dancing like no tomorrow that it was big money. This is a man that has 18 children.

When Vocal Slender had a fight and damaged someone's eye, the family agreed to a N300K settlement and the BBC commentators said based on his current earnings that it will take him 15 years to pay it off. That is N5K per month, lets imagine they did not calculate it on his total earnings. And considering they said he saved for 3 months to get N15K to book studio time for his album, it would be safe to say he probably makes about N15K a month.

The cow broker hausa guy had a what he called a "very good day" when the Mr Biggs buyer came to buy big time and bought 20 cows. The broker said he gets N100 per cow and so made N2000 instantly that day, hence he said it is a good day so he is done and going to "baff" and have his own fun and a nice time.  grin

The grad from poly that used to collect cow blood and transform it to Agric chicken feed was making about N5000 per week and we have not factored in how much it cost him to buy the blood.

The sawmill foreman had to save for months (sleeping for 5 years in his office at the sawmill) to finally get the N15K deposit for his room (if you can call it that) in Makoko which he was so chuffed to get.

Now imagine this people have wife and kids, it is not like if their wages will increase.

So because we live in Lagos and mix with the middle class does not mean we should underestimate the challenges that others we never interact with face.

If these guys are struggling like this in Lagos, I don't think those in the villages will be better off. When I go to Kaduna to meet my friend, I sometimes meet his relatives and once I gave his aunty from a village (not Kaduna city) N200, he said "you really don't realise how much prayers she will give you, that is serious money to her".

It might not be as bad as painted but I don't think it is far off, our view is just corrupted because we live in the cities (and in the livable parts of it for that matter) and our press are too useless to show us things we can't see.

For you to know that you can't use that BBC stuff to judge the average life of a Nigerian, dunno if you remember where Vocal slender was eating? when he bought food from that food seller, how much do you think that food cost?

Now to the other man that buys copper, he organized birthday party for his daughter, someone who survives on 150 naira per day won't even do that.

So please use something else as back up to justify your points, not that thing called documentary.

Do you know that most people living in the rural area eat better and healthier food than those in the Urban area? (In Nigeria)

If you doubt me, ask those who travel home to their villages for confirmation.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 04, 2010
Sagamite:

No evidence of logic in thoughts and facts is when you throw retarded accusations.
igboitalo:

our problem is not our population is lack of infrastructure which makes the cost of living high, nigerians should learn to stop bad mouthing our country .silly people $1 dollar my foot  angry
Why bothered yourself replying the guy ? You can imagine someone in another man's land analyzing shoit based on statistics he got from the net forgetting that i may as well deduce that he's not anyway better despite living in UK.why did he leave nigeria in the first instance if not for poverty that may have wretched his family ?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 11:31am On Sep 04, 2010
Sagamite:

what u said should apply to u more what is your evidence that 70 percent of nigerians live on 150 naira a day u most be a stupid idiot to believe that rubbish all those people i mentioned earn well above that amount and what is your logic that we live on a plate of food a day and i repeat what i said u are an uncle tom (oyibo boy boy) thats why you quote bbc,cnn,imf, world bank every single time cos u cant use brain but only what your masters tell u . carry your slave mentality and get out of here  angry
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 04, 2010
igboitalo:

what u said should apply to u more what is your evidence that 70 percent of nigerians live on 150 naira a day u most be a silly  to believe that rubbish all those people i mentioned earn well above that amount and what is your logic that we live on a plate of food a day and i repeat what i said u are an uncle tom (oyibo boy boy) thats why you quote bbc,cnn,imf, world bank every single time cos u cant use brain but only what your masters tell u . carry your slave mentality and get out of here  angry
Don't mind him jo,as if we don't know the dirty stuff they do in abroad.what about all the tarnishing of nigeria's name going on over there that we chose to ignore ?
He is just a silly guy that sees nothing good about nigeria.maybe he should read through PADDY LO's analysis on nigeria's economy because he sound more intelligence than him.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 11:54am On Sep 04, 2010
honeric01:

For you to know that you can't use that BBC stuff to judge the average life of a Nigerian, dunno if you remember where Vocal slender was eating? when he bought food from that food seller, how much do you think that food cost?

The food he was saying, use N20 meat design?

I bet it is more around N100.

So what do you term as the average Nigerian?

honeric01:

Now to the other man that buys copper, he organized birthday party for his daughter, someone who survives on 150 naira per day won't even do that.

So please use something else as back up to justify your points, not that thing called documentary.

How much do you think his party would have cost him?

He obviously can not be living on N150 a day as he has a room he rents, but your want to tell me how much that party where radio does not work and being done by an open gutter would cost him?

honeric01:

Do you know that most people living in the rural area eat better and healthier food than those in the Urban area? (In Nigeria)

If you doubt me, ask those who travel home to their villages for confirmation.

Of course those in the villages will eat healthier food. Where do you want those in slums to get healthy food like vegetables from? From the concrete or the sewers.

The people in the villages have access to greenery and fresh food but they are dearth poor as they will not have funds for clothing and luxury items.

I went to Kaduna and I was disturbing them for Sugarcane, Sugarcane, and I want to take some to London, they were just laughing at me because that to them is easier to get than water.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 12:00pm On Sep 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Why bothered yourself replying the guy ? You can imagine someone in another man's land analyzing shoit based on statistics he got from the net forgetting that i may as well deduce that he's not anyway better despite living in UK.why did he leave nigeria in the first instance if not for poverty that may have wretched his family ?
brother let me explain more things our lack of infrstructure is a big problem, if we have a good metro system in lagos, that will bring down the cost of transportation in lagos which means more saving for people in lagos which means they will have more to spend, if in nigeria we have an inland water way and a high speed rail network, that will bring down the cost of food stuffs in nigeria and will make it possibly for somebody  living in benin city to work in lagos cos when he gets on train within 25mins he his in lagos which means avoiding high rent in lagos if nigeria got  24hrs electricity think of the  effects of that on our economy. so to sagamite(oyibo boy boy) go and tell your masters our problems is not our population and they should mind their business.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 12:02pm On Sep 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

You are retarded!

Another moronic accusation that shows the perdition of our educational system.

slowpoke.

igboitalo:

what u said should apply to u more what is your evidence that 70 percent of nigerians live on 150 naira a day u most be a silly  to believe that rubbish all those people i mentioned earn well above that amount and what is your logic that we live on a plate of food a day and i repeat what i said u are an uncle tom (oyibo boy boy) thats why you quote bbc,cnn,imf, world bank every single time cos u cant use brain but only what your masters tell u . carry your slave mentality and get out of here  angry

Mugu, what population span are you using to judge that?

slowpoke, have you been to villages in the Niger Delta, in Kwara, in Borno to know how much they earn.

Being in a city like Kaduna alone, I saw a man (in a CITY o) that wee'ed and then used the water from the gutter to "clean" his deeck.

There is poverty and illiteracy in the cities and you think it would not be in the villages.

What proportion of Nigerians live in urban areas? Yet your moronic head will base your assessment on what you see in cities. Albeit, what you see in the liveable areas you frequent. Before BBC docu did you even know about how bad things were in Makoko? Foooool!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 04, 2010
Very funny. . . .why did you choose to run away from nigeria , Is that too big for you to answer ?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 12:12pm On Sep 04, 2010
igboitalo:

brother let me explain more things our lack of infrstructure is a big problem, if we have a good metro system in lagos, that will bring down the cost of transportation in lagos which means more saving for people in lagos which means they will have more to spend, if in nigeria we have an inland water way and a high speed rail network, that will bring down the cost of food stuffs in nigeria and will make it possibly for somebody  living in benin city to work in lagos cos when he gets on train within 25mins he his in lagos which means avoiding high rent in lagos if nigeria got  24hrs electricity think of the  effects of that on our economy. so to sagamite(oyibo boy boy) go and tell your masters our problems is not our population and they should mind their business.

slowpoke!

Talking crap.

So how much do you think it will cost to build all this to satisfy the present population? How many billions?

Do we have the money? But yet we should increase the population?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by bkbabe97y(m): 12:17pm On Sep 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Very funny. . . .why did you choose to run away from nigeria , Is that too big  for you to answer ?

Yo, Bluetooth, wuts up wit you?! lol. Let the poor dude be. lol. you got me cracking up here. lol grin
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by ada24: 12:25pm On Sep 04, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Very funny. . . .why did you choose to run away from nigeria , Is that too big for you to answer ?

did every nigerian abroad run away, gosh this mentality is annoying - u do know that the generation of kids born to parents who left nigeria in the 60s and 70s are now grown right.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 12:29pm On Sep 04, 2010
Sagamite:

slowpoke!

Talking crap.

So how much do you think it will cost to build all this to satisfy the present population? How many billions?

Do we have the money? But yet we should increase the population?
we r getting close to it mister man the river niger is being dredge, lagos will in the next six yrs have a metro system in next five yrs we will have 24hrs elctricity and remember sagamite ur masters r in so much debt now that they might send u to the cotton farm again house nigga
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 04, 2010
I think London needs to be destroyed and rebuilt to accommodate it's population. The houses in London are like shoe boxes even in the suburbs. And they get this smell once a week when they open their sewer (what da hell) to ease pressure and avoid explosion. 60% of England's population lives in London.

Nigeria's population is in it's right growth rate. But in proportion to death rate and birth rate, Nigeria's population will reduce over years not increase as the Brits think. Also, they need to stop using Lagos as a demographic case study for Nigeria. Lagos is over populated yeah but that is not the case for other parts of Nigeria. More urban cities need to emerge where people can move to. Nigeria's population is good as it is and in fact will reduce over the next decade cause death rate vs birth rate. The North better prepare to help themselves as what I have here points to a government forced investment in the North while the south sees a massive flood of  investments.

I hate British accounts of Nigeria. The American one is more accurate and realistic without the ambiguity of British stuffs. They should stick to colonizing and lynching people in dungeons instead of making up condescending reports on the new leaders of the new world. The only thing that can stop the revolution is colonizing which can't happen again.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 04, 2010
ada24:

did every nigerian abroad run away, gosh this mentality is annoying - u do know that the generation of kids born to parents who left nigeria in the 60s and 70s are now grown right.
Families that migrated even up till the 80's were not really desperate to live there because the Naira,dollar and the british pound were almost at par until babangida spoilt everything for us.
How many nigerians did you see sleeping at the US or UK embassies in those times you mentioned in order to get visa ? Do you think nigerians would be desperate to travel out if the naira,dollar and the pound have the same exchange rate today ? NO !!!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Yo, Bluetooth, wuts up wit you?! lol. Let the poor dude be. lol. you got me cracking up here. lol grin
Lol. . .Don't mind the guy.All he does is complain and criticizes.meanwhile,he's  years away from meeting up with some of us.who gives a fck because he's in london ? Do they pluck money on trees there ?  What meaningful contribution has he contributed to nigeria ?
The key issue here is to identify nigeria problems and profer solutions but the most important is the non-implementation of those solutions by the (bad) government we've had over time.I just get pissed sometimes at these internet noise-makers who would rather abandon leprosy and treat rashes.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 1:21pm On Sep 04, 2010
Sagamite:

The food he was saying, use N20 meat design?

I bet it is more around N100.

So what do you term as the average Nigerian?

-N-20 meat in your mind? hehehe, how much do you think a meat sell for in ANY canteen in Nigeria? especially Lagos? the smallest meat cost N20, and he had more than 5 meats inside that food he bought, how much do you think a fried plantain cost? 1 piece is N5, he had more than 5 in his plate, he had spagheti too in that food, so how much in total do you think that food cost him? ( A mere scavenger). undecided

Sagamite:

How much do you think his party would have cost him?

He obviously can not be living on N150 a day as he has a room he rents, but your want to tell me how much that party where radio does not work and being done by an open gutter would cost him?

You saw minerals and other stuffs there on the table right? forget about the radio, he rented chairs right? he pays for house rent which in that area he lives is as high as N2,500 naira per month (Agreement and commission is nothing less than N50k), have you ever wondered how a "poor" man like that could afford that? you saw his kids and wife looking healthy right? i am not saying we don't have poor people living in Lagos or Nigeria, but for someone to say 70% of Nigerians live below $1 a day is like saying there are only 10 overhead bridges in NY.

Sagamite:

Of course those in the villages will eat healthier food. Where do you want those in slums to get healthy food like vegetables from? From the concrete or the sewers.

The people in the villages have access to greenery and fresh food but they are dearth poor as they will not have funds for clothing and luxury items.

I went to Kaduna and I was disturbing them for Sugarcane, Sugarcane, and I want to take some to London, they were just laughing at me because that to them is easier to get than water.

Have you ever walked through these places you call slums in Nigeria? some of these people living in a room apartment own a bike, car or even buses, some of them have houses in their villages, some of them own shops worth thousands of Naira, we all know that Nigerians can manage and don't mind living in a room in a "slum" if the benefits in that area is worth it.

There is no place you won't get fresh food in Nigeria, we have them in Lagos, there are markets everywhere in Lagos, so your case of them in the village eating fresh food is unfounded, if you want any kind of vegetables/fruits in Lagos, i will surely get them across to you within hrs.

Did you see the people in the villages walking unclothed around the villages? who told you they can't afford to clothe themselves? most of them chose not to wear good clothes or use luxury items because they surely do not see the need for it nor think it's necessary.
Have you ever been to a ceremony done in any village in Nigeria before? you'd be surprised to see these same people you think are poor wear what you'd never see them wear on a normal day, the life in the village is never a fake life, they live life with content and don't have time to show off like their counterparts in the cities.

And as for the water you are saying, yes we don't have basic amenities which everyone can attest to, but these same people have been living and drinking water, Nigerians can always solve their problems personally, just that collectively, we are so unorganized and we lack the co-operative attitude of an organized country.

I still maintain, the number of Nigerians living below $1 per day is not as high as 30%, not to talk of 70%.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Redman44(m): 2:54pm On Sep 04, 2010
The notion that 70% of Nigerians live on less than $1 a day is somehow subjective. This is because it is not easy to actually determine how much the average Nigerian earns and spends in a day. I have lived in different Nigerian cities and I can say some of this people we look down upon are actually doing well for themselves. Some of the market women at Bodija Market are richer than a good number of bankers in the country. Because they are not dressed up as white collar workers does not mean they are not comfortable. I have come to realize that most of what we think about others are based on perceptions. The Americans, Europeans and other Westerners see us in a particular way and they have continued to maintain the same mindset.

On the other hand, the Nigerian system of living and functioning is hellish cry cry cry While we have all the resources to develop as a nation, we have failed in erecting structures that will help us live well. I left Nigeria for a lot of reasons and most of these reasons have not been resolved by our leaders. That is why I look at those who ask why others move abroad and I laugh. I travelled to Benin [ Edo State ] in 2005 for the first time and I regretted making the journey. The trip was horrific with the bad roads and irritating check points. I saw soldiers and policemen working hand in hand to extort money from ordinary Nigerians. Compare this scenario to my travelling from London to Bristol in England. There were no checkpoints and I travelled in a Solid Coach with the driver telling us about various places as we passed them. The journey was smooth and there were no bumps on the road. What I'm trying to say is this: The Nigerian environment is harsh and Nigerians deserve more than they are getting currently cry cry If a conducive environment is provided by our leaders, many Nigerians in diaspora will come back home. Not all Nigerians will live in Nigeria by the way. Lots of Chinese people are living in other countries. We should be careful not to turn threads to Home VS Abroad battles. Until things start to work properly in Nigeria, we will continue to be perceived negatively by foreigners. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 3:49pm On Sep 04, 2010
^^^^^^

You traveled that route 5 YEARS ago, why would you want to use that to qualify that road? the road has improved and it's not like it was 5 YEARS AGO.

There was a time i posted some of the pictures i took while using the road earlier this year, this kinda of statement is what the western media are using to qualify what goes on in Nigeria and Africa at large.

Let's cultivate the culture of posting recent and accurate picture of things and not use an old occurrence as fact.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Redman44(m): 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2010
honeric01,

You can't deny the fact that the Nigerian system is hellish. I'm not saying there is nothing good about Nigeria. What I'm saying is that a lot of work still needs to be done and the will to change things is rare to find in our politicians. Developing a country goes beyond infrastructure. How many organisations that are willing to foster development in Nigeria are acknowledged and funded by the Federal Government? Apart from Lagos State, how many Governors have rolled up the sleeves of their shirts and are getting their hands dirty in a bid to modernize their States? How many of our leaders are showing that genuine sincerity to fix the country? Do you know how many youths have had their future mortgaged by the actions of our leaders? How many negative figures are churned out about Ghana by Western Nations? Until some serious developmental projects are being embarked upon by our leaders, we will continue to get bad by press from Western Nations. Chers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by tkb417(m): 4:15pm On Sep 04, 2010
the market sellers, bus conductors, taxi drivers, hair dressers, barbers earn between 20- 50 USD a day

that 1 dollar thing is rubbish

someone said world bank stats are reliable- yeah

but if tht thing came from world bank, then they must be silly

have you been to beer parlours in Lagos?

do you know how much all these people spend on cigar and beer a day?

oyinbo dont teach me nonsense, me sef sabi book small grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2010
Redman44:

honeric01,

You can't deny the fact that the Nigerian system is hellish. I'm not saying there is nothing good about Nigeria. What I'm saying is that a lot of work still needs to be done and the will to change things is rare to find in our politicians. Developing a country goes beyond infrastructure. How many organisations that are willing to foster development in Nigeria are acknowledged and funded by the Federal Government? Apart from Lagos State, how many Governors have rolled up the sleeves of their shirts and are getting their hands dirty in a bid to modernize their States? How many of our leaders are showing that genuine sincerity to fix the country? Do you know how many youths have had their future mortgaged by the actions of our leaders? How many negative figures are churned out about Ghana by Western Nations? Until some serious developmental projects are being embarked upon by our leaders, we will continue to get bad by press from Western Nations. Chers.

And did you see me denying it? but to use a 5yrs old experience in describing the state of development in Nigeria is way way wrong, this same thing is what the western media has been doing ever since i started listening to them, don't you know that the 70% living below $1 daily has been on more than 10yrs now? so does it mean nothing changed? it didn't increase nor decrease?  there's nothing constant on earth, so they should stop feeding the public lies (Including you with the road statement).
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Ikengawo: 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2010
@Kengawo, pls read this VERY WELL and pls kindly not make this same mistake again. You said Nigeria's growth rate is 1.999%, where did u get dat from, I bet you are mistaken. Before, I comment further, my position on this post is this: In as much as am not supporting the 'assertion' of the British Council, we need not turn a deaf ear.

@kengawo and @oisehumen. This report did not say Nigeria WILL have demographic disaster but is says and i quote NIGERIA could become the fifth most populous country in the world, teetering on the edge of a “demographic disaster” unless its stagnant economy rapidly

expands to support its teeming youth population. Please, kindly take note of words written in bold font

@ Ayo:God bless you. 1 thing i have learnt on nairaland is that the average Nigerian hardly thinks for himself but is too quick to jump on the bandwagon of popular opinion,don't know if its the fear of being the odd one out.

i agree, but all those things are coming cause too many in the nigerian population are DISENFRANCHISED, not cause too many nigerians exist. Our population is disenfranchising a lot of our population because there's too little for too many, but i say there's no population problem because we haven't utilized 20% of our potential

@ ikengawo: as long as your resources, tapped or untapped, falls far short in comparison to your population you do have a tendency for a demographic disaster. av you taken the time to realize that the more you put forward your 'enlightened' arguments against the poster the more it is in agreement with it?

In the final analysis it shouldn't be about where the stats are coming from but it should be bout, is this thing fact? and if it is can we implement policies based on these facts to better the lot of the citizenry? Why waste time with senseless jabberings?

Lets not be like the proverbial ostrich that buries its head in the sand to avoid the storm on the horizon.
God bless Nigeria!

our resources tapped surpass the needs of our people.
Industrial output in cities is untapped
oil is still largerly untapped
90% of our farmable land is untapped
our HUGE educated populace is under utilized at home and in the diaspora
and our oil money isn't even being spent on the ppl its being stolen for the most part

we are currently running off less then 1% of nigerias potential and that has still made us a lower middle income nation.

stats in nigeria are a total crisis. did you know that what gets reported as the 'nigerian economy' are ONLY businesses that pay tax and have government regulation? (oil and foriegn investment basically)

containers, danfos, okadas, markets, almost all farming, almost all fishing, ect are not counted, so the 'nigerian economy' you see on stats is several times smaller then the real nigerian economy.

then there's the population fabrications from the census.
as soon as we stop this oil allocation nonsense we cannot progress as a nation because it only encourages government to be dependent, underproductive, corrupt, and dishonest on head counts.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by kittty: 5:47pm On Sep 04, 2010
does anyone has issues or news about unn admission list?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 1:46am On Sep 05, 2010
igboitalo:

my man stop being silly $1 is 150 naira to say 70 percent of nigerian earn that is just rubbish a bike man, a taxi driver, a mama put seller,a farmer, a news paper vendor, a butcher,a bus driver,even street hawkers make between $10 to $30 a day so where in the hell did u people come up with this one dollar a day rubbish. sagamite u r nothing but an uncle tom go your massa is calling u

You know why I won't justify your response above, because you just exhibited the knowledge of a typical uneducated local champion. If you studied Macro and Micro economics which I would assume u did, you would know we have two kinds of personal income; disposable and discretionary income. Any educated person like you if at all would know what they referring to is discretionary income; income acquired to maintain a standard of living. That you earned $30 doesn't meant $30 is at your disposal, just like business there is a difference between revenues and profit same applies here; Gross income and net income and net income is would be less necessities.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 1:49am On Sep 05, 2010
Ikengawo:

our resources tapped surpass the needs of our people.
Industrial output in cities is untapped
oil is still largerly untapped
90% of our farmable land is untapped
our HUGE educated populace is under utilized at home and in the diaspora
and our oil money isn't even being spent on the ppl its being stolen for the most part

we are currently running off less then 1% of nigerias potential and that has still made us a lower middle income nation.

stats in nigeria are a total crisis. did you know that what gets reported as the 'nigerian economy' are ONLY businesses that pay tax and have government regulation? (oil and foriegn investment basically)

containers, danfos, okadas, markets, almost all farming, almost all fishing, ect are not counted, so the 'nigerian economy' you see on stats is several times smaller then the real nigerian economy.

then there's the population fabrications from the census.
as soon as we stop this oil allocation nonsense we cannot progress as a nation because it only encourages government to be dependent, underproductive, corrupt, and dishonest on head counts.

Really? hmmm I like your mentality, if all countries had all these excuse like yours; I sure hell would believe there are still "untapped" resources in other developed countries as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Who Released Awolowo From Prison: Ojukwu, Gowon Or Ironsi? / Kano Assembly ‘bows To Pressure’, Suspends Probe Of Ganduje / Ibadan North-East L.G.A APC Solidarity Rally (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.