Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,025 members, 7,919,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:55 AM

Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm (15894 Views)

Buhari Raises 13-Member Panel To Probe Weapon Procurement Since 2007 / APC Raises Alarm Over Withdrawal Of Customs, Immigration Personnel From Border / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by manny4life(m): 2:08am On Sep 05, 2010
I would put this argument to a rest; if someone on here tells me what the GDP per capita per person is in Nigeria, then I would begin to prove my point. A World Bank/IMF estimate was about $2,300; that is the amount per person contributed to our GDP which is calculated using purchasing power. If that number be true, my guess would be the average Nigerian contributed $6 daily, this is value he/she added, not revenues so when u remove revenues less taxes and necessities, I'm sure you would understand why the World Bank said citizens who live beyond poverty line live under $1 a day. You can believe it, or not, when you get your numbers, we can crunch them together and see what our results are.

The point of my argument is it doesn't matter how much you'purchase something or how rich you are or whatever the case might be, bottom line is if you not adding value into the system; either by creating (investing etc) or spending (purchasing; obviously you CANNOT spend what u don't have), you still haven't added, and Nigeria as a whole stands where.

As for the British Council concerns, the more people we have, and the less we creating rather spending higher and higher on the same item with little or less value, we're still stagnant. For the person saying you purchase fuel or whatever the item was, if you spending more than u earned, and the item you spent it on has little or less value, how does that affect GDP? Besides, how did the item u purchase add any more value to you compare to the extra you paid (which I call waste)?

The sooner we begin to trim our population and most importantly change out mindset and mentality that Nigeria sooner or later would never come out of her ruins if care isn't taken regardless of her resources.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Very funny. . . .why did you choose to run away from nigeria , Is that too big  for you to answer ?

You must be retarded if you can come to a conclusion that any Nigeria that lives outside Nigeria ran from poverty.

slowpoke, when I tell you that your intelligence is below my feet you think it si a joke?

So is Hafisat Abiola running from poverty?

Is Okonjo-Iweala running from poverty?

Is Ken Wiwa running from poverty?

Is Bayo Ogunleye running from poverty?

Was Chinue Achebe running from poverty?

Fooool, which university did you attend with this your level of "analytical thinking"?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:08am On Sep 05, 2010
igboitalo:

we r getting close to it mister man the river niger is being dredge, lagos will in the next six yrs have a metro system in next five yrs we will have 24hrs elctricity and remember sagamite your masters r in so much debt now that they might send u to the cotton farm again house nigga

I see.

The 24hr light you have been waiting for since 1999?

It is infrastructure that is common standard in societies you are hyping up that will make Nigeria great, Plantation Nigga?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

You must be retarded if you can come to a conclusion that any Nigeria that lives outside Nigeria ran from poverty.

slowpoke, when I tell you that your intelligence is below my feet you think it si a joke?

So is Hafisat Abiola running from poverty?

Is Okonjo-Iweala running from poverty?

Is Ken Wiwa running from poverty?

Is Bayo Ogunleye running from poverty?

Was Chinue Achebe running from poverty?

Fooool, which university did you attend with this your level of "analytical thinking?

sagamite, ibinu e ti maa n poju. rora o
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 7:20am On Sep 05, 2010
manny4life:

You know why I won't justify your response above, because you just exhibited the knowledge of a typical uneducated local champion. If you studied Macro and Micro economics which I would assume u did, you would know we have two kinds of personal income; disposable and discretionary income. Any educated person like you if at all would know what they referring to is discretionary income; income acquired to maintain a standard of living. That you earned $30 doesn't meant $30 is at your disposal, just like business there is a difference between revenues and profit same applies here; Gross income and net income and net income is would be less necessities.
people like u piss me off when so called educated people cant seem to reason on their own this stupid $1 day rubbish is a damn lie u should know this  do u know what it means to live on 150 naira a day and if i may ask you where on earth did anybody get such info because i know we dont keep records in nigeria,isnt this the same rubbish british telecom said when they wanted us to give them gsm license for free they told us how setting up a telcom company in nigeria was not going to be viable because most nigerians lived on  $1 a day well ask mtn, glo, and the rest if that is true or not.black africans should reason first before beliving anything the whiteman tells them and drop this slave mentality, gosh
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:23am On Sep 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

sagamite, ibinu e ti maa n poju. rora o

E leyi o de poju o.

Ki lo ma wa so ni pa e leyi:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-503928.0.html#msg6648868

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504283.96.html#msg6673980

Mo ni passionate hate for morons. Ki eyan ma ti er le lo opolo er fun isheju kan ko to so'oro.

Awon lo ma ba aiye yi je.

To ba gbo nipe  awon Alakori kan pa'ara won, ni tori awon morons ni.

To ba gbo pe omugor olopa kan naa obirin ni hoho abi gbe omode kan si erwon nitori pe won wa baba e, nitori pe olopa yen je slowpoke ni.

To gba gbo nipe alakori politician kan ti won elect ko gbo gbo owo je, ni to ri pe awon morons lo vote fun.

Awon morons ba aiye je fun wa.

Morons ma nfun mi ni High Blood Pressure. Mo hate slowpoke gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-496295.64.html#msg6568340
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 7:25am On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

I see.

The 24hr light you have been saying for since 1999?

It is infrastructure that is common standard in societies you are hyping up that will make Nigeria great, Plantation Nigga?
plantation nigga very funny again this is for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zUIjP4KWok
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:27am On Sep 05, 2010
igboitalo:

plantation nigga very funny again this is for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zUIjP4KWok

slowpoke that is all you got?

Tell me which College of Education certed you.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 7:53am On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

-N-20 meat in your mind? hehehe, how much do you think a meat sell for in ANY canteen in Nigeria? especially Lagos? the smallest meat cost N20, and he had more than 5 meats inside that food he bought, how much do you think a fried plantain cost? 1 piece is N5, he had more than 5 in his plate, he had spagheti too in that food, so how much in total do you think that food cost him? ( A mere scavenger). undecided

My bad, it was plantain he said they should design his plate with. Although not clearly seen, I don't think, from what I saw, there was more than 2 pieces of meat in that plate. It was mostly spaghetti and plantain.

The food I believe would unlikely exceed N200. And people were laughing and saying he was showing off. I doubt he gets that everyday. Because he is eating that on a BBC docu does not mean he can afford it every day.

That is all speculation. The fact is that it took him 3 months to save N15K.

honeric01:

You saw minerals and other stuffs there on the table right? forget about the radio, he rented chairs right? he pays for house rent which in that area he lives is as high as N2,500 naira per month (Agreement and commission is nothing less than N50k), have you ever wondered how a "poor" man like that could afford that? you saw his kids and wife looking healthy right? i am not saying we don't have poor people living in Lagos or Nigeria, but for someone to say 70% of Nigerians live below $1 a day is like saying there are only 10 overhead bridges in NY.

As I said earlier, he does not appear to be in the N150 a day group as he can afford a room and he seems a very level headed person that will be frugal but if you want to tell me that the birthday was expensive, you must be having a laugh. A deck he probably got from the dump, 20 or so hired seats, cake, food & drinks, and the best clothes of his kids (which he might already have bought not specifically for the birthday). N10K?

And as I said earlier tkb might be right that the 70% is wrong but the level of poverty at which 70% of Nigerians live is not far off.

honeric01:

Have you ever walked through these places you call slums in Nigeria? some of these people living in a room apartment own a bike, car or even buses, some of them have houses in their villages, some of them own shops worth thousands of Naira, we all know that Nigerians can manage and don't mind living in a room in a "slum" if the benefits in that area is worth it.

You mean in a family of 8 and the father having an Okada is some sign of comfort?

Houses in their village? lol

I hope you mean those face-me-I-face you with no toilet?

honeric01:

There is no place you won't get fresh food in Nigeria, we have them in Lagos, there are markets everywhere in Lagos, so your case of them in the village eating fresh food is unfounded, if you want any kind of vegetables/fruits in Lagos, i will surely get them across to you within hrs.

Have you factored in the cost added when the freshies are transported from village to Lagos?

So you want to tell me a northerner that can pick tomato from the bush will expense the same as a Lagosian that has to wait for it to be transported from the North? So the transporters do it for free?

honeric01:

Did you see the people in the villages walking unclothed around the villages? who told you they can't afford to clothe themselves? most of them chose not to wear good clothes or use luxury items because they surely do not see the need for it nor think it's necessary.

Are you having a laff?  grin grin grin grin

Seriously?

You mean they can afford the clothes but just chose not to look good?

You need to show me this new traits of the human specie to direct Anthropologists to study.

These are the kind of statements that show someone just want to say anything to keep arguing.

honeric01:

Have you ever been to a ceremony done in any village in Nigeria before? you'd be surprised to see these same people you think are poor wear what you'd never see them wear on a normal day, the life in the village is never a fake life, they live life with content and don't have time to show off like their counterparts in the cities.

I have been to many. Don't BS me, mate.

If you are impressed by the limited pass-over clothes they repetitively wear, na wah.

Then feel free to describe their denture as well.

Humans don't like to show-off because they are in a village? . . . . . .  grin grin grin grin grin grin That simply does not sound logical.

honeric01:

And as for the water you are saying, yes we don't have basic amenities which everyone can attest to, but these same people have been living and drinking water, Nigerians can always solve their problems personally, just that collectively, we are so unorganized and we lack the co-operative attitude of an organized country.

You need to see the water a lot of kids in rural areas in Nigeria drink especially in the North and then you will start appreciating the human immune system as the best work of Baba.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by igboitalo: 7:55am On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

slowpoke that is all you got?

Tell me which College of Education certed you.
reason u behave the way u do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zPdkKuEXFM
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 8:07am On Sep 05, 2010
igboitalo:

reason u behave the way u do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zPdkKuEXFM

This is the reason why your reasoning is so poor:

http://www.povertyandhunger.org/povertyimages/Dirt%20floor%20classroom.jpg
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2010
tkb417:

the market sellers, bus conductors, taxi drivers, hair dressers, barbers earn between 20- 50 USD a day

I find it hard to believe most of this artisans make between N63K and N157K per month.

Note: I have already moderated my calculation by assuming they do not work weekends. otherwise it would have been N90K and N235K per month.

I know so many niggas from Lag, UI and OAU that struggle to make that upper end, so it can not be the average for artisans.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 11:30am On Sep 05, 2010
^^
sagamite,
what are you talking about? britain can't lecture us about population. the country is about 60 million. i mean an island (britain) that is much smaller than france (almost 1/3) in terms of land mass. an island that is smaller than new orleans.
don't they know that after belgium, britain is the most densely populated country in EU.
ABEG, READ WELL.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 11:47am On Sep 05, 2010
britain is smaller than all these cities/states, yet boasts 60 million

Alaska 656,425
Texas 268,601 
California 163,707
Montana 147,046
New Mexico 121,593
Arizona 114,006
Nevada 110,567
Colorado 104,100
Oregon 98,386
Wyoming 97,818
Michigan 96, 810

UNITED KINGDOM 93,026
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 1:29pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^
sagamite,
what are you talking about? britain can't lecture about population. the country is about 60 million. i mean an island (britain) much smaller than france (almost 1/3) in terms of land mass. an island smaller than new orleans.
don't they know that after belgium, britain is the most densely populated country in EU.
ABEG, READ WELL.

Yep. It is an island but:

- Well planned.
- Struggling with immigration
- But that is aware of its limits and planning for it.

Japan is even worse but it also demonstrates the above.

The thing there is that they both have the fundamentals. Education is fantastic, mentality is top notch and central control is great due to homogenousity (and for Japan, a population which culturally the people like to be led) and politically sound system. All these contributes to ones competitiveness and ability to generate enough goods/service to support the population and build the infrastructure to plan for the population. Nigeria is waaaaaaaaay off at the moment and it would serve us well to carefully control the population whilst we build the capability, instead of letting it explode whilst beating our chest screaming the useless platitudes we have been brainwashed with that we are blessed with resources and that we are Giant of Africa with potential.

We are not even on the path to plan for the population we have yet but we want it to explode? There are millions of Nigerians that live a miserable life from birth to death, and it will be more if we explode and do not have the capability to support population. Lest we forget, Life expectancy is in the mid 40s for the presnt population we have. It really is as silly as a man with 4 kids he cannot take care of, getting a new wife and breeding more kids like a rabbit.

FFS, to ordinarily count Lagos and help the state govt plan for it, some people decided to leave Lagos during census to go to their hometown to be counted. Fcked mentality and lack of collective progress.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by 4Play(m): 3:03pm On Sep 05, 2010
The claim that the average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar day is plausible. Let's bear in mind that we are talking of all Nigerians, including infants, not the average worker.

Nigeria's 2009 GDP per capita(total GDP divided by population) at purchasing power parity(adjusted for relative price levels as we all know a dollar in Naija buys you more than a dollar in the US) is about $2300 per person. If you divide that by 365 days, that's about $6.30 per day.

Now, if Naija's GINI coefficient is 0(no income inequality), then one can say the average Nigerian lives on $6 a day. However, Nigeria has one of the worst income inequalities on the planet. We all know that income in Nigeria is not evenly distributed. Would it be inconceivable to say that a minority of Nigerians, say 10%, take a majority of the income? 

Using the above figure of $6.30 per day, if 15% of the income went to 70% of the population(not implausible given Naija's income inequality), then the claim that average Nigerian, not the average worker, lives on less than a dollar a day is totally plausible.

It is made even more interesting if the dollar a day figure is based on dollar income calculated at market exchange rates. At market exchange rates(dollar income not adjusted for the fact that a dollar buys more in Naija), Naija's 2009 GDP per capita is $1200, or $3.6 a day. Again. adjust this for our insanely high income inequality. Either way, the claim that the average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar a day is entirely possible.

Another point people forget is that the average person here is an urban dweller. The bulk of Naija's population is to be found in rural areas. Please calculate household income in rural areas and tell me whether each member of the household lives on more 150Naira a day. If you have a rural household of 7(mother and father with 5 children), a dollar a day(market exchange rate)will imply a monthly income of 31500Naira. Is anyone saying it is far-fetched that most Nigerian households survive on this?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2010
you are right about the uk being well-planned, saga.
the issue with nigeria is not population, it is about productivity.
the percentage that is not productive in nigeria is too high.
and, illeteracy is also very high.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2010
4 Play:

The claim that the average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar day is plausible. Let's bear in mind that we are talking of all Nigerians, including infants, not the average worker.

That is true. The truth is that a large proportion of the population is below 18 years of age.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

you are right about the uk being well-planned, saga.
the issue with nigeria is not population, it is about productivity.
the percentage that is not productive in nigeria is too high.
and, illeteracy is also very high.

What is your point. For productivity to improve there has to be more investment in education and training PER HEAD. For a given amoumt of income there is no way this can increase if the current rate of population growth is sustained.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^
sagamite,
what are you talking about? britain can't lecture us about population. the country is about 60 million. i mean an island (britain) that is much smaller than france (almost 1/3) in terms of land mass. an island that is smaller than new orleans.
ABEG, READ WELL.

Well you have to take account of the fact that countries like England and France have been existing for centuries which has enabled them to possess highly developed  physical and social infrastructure.
The corollary is that a young developing country like Nigeria should and must prioritise resource allocation to increasing productivity and not have to deal with the multi-faceted consequences of  population explosion. It is that simple.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2010
tkb417:

the market sellers, bus conductors, taxi drivers, hair dressers, barbers earn between 20- 50 USD a day

Is that really the case? undecided We are talking about profit here and not just daily takings. You may count them as being part of the so-called informal sector but economists would still have to estimate their income according to standard accounting conventions.

After that the economist now divides this estimated income  amongst the self-employed artisan's dependants to give income per head. You would find that for most Nigerians the figure of $2 per day is pretty accurate.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by olaolabiy: 4:20pm On Sep 05, 2010
tensor777:

What is your point. For productivity to improve there has to be more investment in education and training PER HEAD. For a given amoumt of income there is no way this can increase if the current rate of population growth is sustained.

once again, the problem is not population. for more investment, you are are talking about governance and leadership problem. productivity will only improve if the populace becomes better informed and better educated.
population can be good or bad. it depends on what you make of it. an informed, populou.s society will always generate more collectively.
in terms of the land mass nigeria occupies, it is not a densely populated country. nigeria needs infrastructural investment.
all you have to do is help those roaming about, engage them, empower them and, as a result, create riches.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 4:23pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

My bad, it was plantain he said they should design his plate with. Although not clearly seen, I don't think, from what I saw, there was more than 2 pieces of meat in that plate. It was mostly spaghetti and plantain.

The food I believe would unlikely exceed N200. And people were laughing and saying he was showing off. I doubt he gets that everyday. Because he is eating that on a BBC docu does not mean he can afford it every day.

That is all speculation. The fact is that it took him 3 months to save N15K.

As I said earlier, he does not appear to be in the N150 a day group as he can afford a room and he seems a very level headed person that will be frugal but if you want to tell me that the birthday was expensive, you must be having a laugh. A deck he probably got from the dump, 20 or so hired seats, cake, food & drinks, and the best clothes of his kids (which he might already have bought not specifically for the birthday). N10K?

And as I said earlier tkb might be right that the 70% is wrong but the level of poverty at which 70% of Nigerians live is not far off.

You mean in a family of 8 and the father having an Okada is some sign of comfort?

Houses in their village? lol

I hope you mean those face-me-I-face you with no toilet?

Have you factored in the cost added when the freshies are transported from village to Lagos?

So you want to tell me a northerner that can pick tomato from the bush will expense the same as a Lagosian that has to wait for it to be transported from the North? So the transporters do it for free?

Are you having a laff?  grin grin grin grin

Seriously?

You mean they can afford the clothes but just chose not to look good?

You need to show me this new traits of the human specie to direct Anthropologists to study.

These are the kind of statements that show someone just want to say anything to keep arguing.

I have been to many. Don't BS me, mate.

If you are impressed by the limited pass-over clothes they repetitively wear, na wah.

Then feel free to describe their denture as well.

Humans don't like to show-off because they are in a village? . . . . . .  grin grin grin grin grin grin That simply does not sound logical.

You need to see the water a lot of kids in rural areas in Nigeria drink especially in the North and then you will start appreciating the human immune system as the best work of Baba.

Sorry bro, i won't be typing a long article for you, the point i am trying to let you know is that 70% of Nigerians don't live on a dollar a day, not even 50%, if you think i am not right, then let us have your reasons with evidence.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by 4Play(m): 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

Sorry bro, i won't be typing a long article for you, the point i am trying to let you know is that 70% of Nigerians don't live on a dollar a day, not even 50%, if you think i am not right, then let us have your reasons with evidence.

Please refer to my post and show me reasons why it is incorrect.

4 Play:

Nigeria's 2009 GDP per capita(total GDP divided by population) at purchasing power parity(adjusted for relative price levels as we all know a dollar in Naija buys you more than a dollar in the US) is about $2300 per person. If you divide that by 365 days, that's about $6.30 per day.

Now, if Naija's GINI coefficient is 0(no income inequality), then one can say the average Nigerian lives on $6 a day. However, Nigeria has one of the worst income inequalities on the planet. We all know that income in Nigeria is not evenly distributed. Would it be inconceivable to say that a minority of Nigerians, say 10%, take a majority of the income? 

Using the above figure of $6.30 per day, if 15% of the income went to 70% of the population(not implausible given Naija's income inequality), then the claim that average Nigerian, not the average worker, lives on less than a dollar a day is totally plausible.

It is made even more interesting if the dollar a day figure is based on dollar income calculated at market exchange rates. At market exchange rates(dollar income not adjusted for the fact that a dollar buys more in Naija), Naija's 2009 GDP per capita is $1200, or $3.6 a day. Again, adjust this for our insanely high income inequality. Either way, the claim that the average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar a day is entirely possible.

Another point people forget is that the average person here is an urban dweller. The bulk of Naija's population is to be found in rural areas. Please calculate household income in rural areas and tell me whether each member of the household lives on more 150Naira a day. If you have a rural household of 7(mother and father with 5 children), a dollar a day(market exchange rate)will imply a monthly income of 31500Naira. Is anyone saying it is far-fetched that most Nigerian households survive on this?
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 05, 2010
ola olabiy:

once again, the problem is not population. for more investment, you are are talking about governance and leadership problem. productivity will only improve if the populace becomes better informed and better educated.
population can be good or bad. it depends on what you make of it. an informed, populou.s society will always generate more collectively.
in terms of the land mass nigeria occupies, it is not a densely populated country. nigeria needs infrastructural investment.
all you have to do is help those roaming about, engage them, empower them and, as a result, create riches.

Once again you are going into abstract generic issues that are neither here nor there. The question is how do you increase investment in education and training per head whilst  the economy is still dependent on finite natural resources and the population continues to increase.

Already this population increase has caused rampant deforestation, species depletion and consequent erosion in the southern parts of the country. In other words the much-trumpeted natural resources are not presently being used in an environmentally sustainable fashion.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Sagamite(m): 4:56pm On Sep 05, 2010
4 Play:

It is made even more interesting if the dollar a day figure is based on dollar income calculated at market exchange rates. At market exchange rates(dollar income not adjusted for the fact that a dollar buys more in Naija), Naija's 2009 GDP per capita is $1200, or $3.6 a day. Again. adjust this for our insanely high income inequality. Either way, the claim that the average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar a day is entirely possible.

Wa she're!!! Well done.

honeric01:

Take a look at 4 Play's write up.

Let me infuse tkb's informal sector theory in it.

Surely the informal sector's addition to the GDP cannot be more than 30% at best.

I keep on telling your lot not to assert what you see in the cities (in the liveable parts of it for that matter) as average for Nigeria when there is unbelievable poverty in the rural areas.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by seanet03: 5:01pm On Sep 05, 2010
as for me i dont believe we  have 70% of our people living close to a dollar, is this not this same country where majority of the people engage in all sort of games to make even, go to Ajegunle and you will know that Nigerians are really suffering even though they are also smiling, the fact is Nigerians like to look on even when things are going the wrong way. Our leaders takes us for granted though we allow them to do so.
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Babalegba(m): 5:37pm On Sep 05, 2010
This thread reminded me of when the then president Shehu Shagari went to the United states in the early 80s and was asked about the looming economic crisis in Nigeria.His reply was 'the economy is buoyant' . A short while later the economy imploded until it got to where we are now. Nigerian living standard was three times higher before and buying of brand new cars by graduates was the norm so if the present trend continues you guys posting here with your laptops will be lucky to afford a calculator in 2050. Remember 011, 010 and all that. Nigerian education has likewise declined and is heavily dependent on cramming and regurgitating lecturers handouts hence the ability to extrapolate information is somewhat impaired,that was the reason graduates where alarmed when rumours swept the country of imminent corrosive acid rain lol . Countries without visions usually perish.Anyway we can pray and fast about it as is the usual Nigerian attitude. 
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Sep 05, 2010
Babalegba:

This thread reminded me of when the then president Shehu Shagari went to the United states in the early 80s and was asked about the looming economic crisis in Nigeria.His reply was 'the economy is buoyant' . A short while later the economy imploded until it got to where we are now.

ROFL
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 6:22pm On Sep 05, 2010
4 Play:

Please refer to my post and show me reasons why it is incorrect.

So in your long sermon, you are trying to say 70% of Nigerians live below $1 a day? hehehehe, you are joking, when last were you in Nigeria? when you came to Nigeria, where did you reside? did you for once go to the markets? do you know how much food stuffs cost? the slowest soup you can cook for a family of 2 is nothing less than -N-500 (excluding what you are to eat the soup with).

Nigeria is made up of 70% informal sector where their take home pay cannot be ascertained by any foreigner, not even the Nigerian government, so where on earth did your source get their "facts" from?

Most governments in Lagos (state and local government) are begging these people to come pay any amount they think their businesses is worth as tax, you can only analyze what you have a grip of, most Nigerians (even those working in government establishments as civil servants) have other businesses that fetch them 70% of the money they survive on, it's very uncommon not to see a Nigerian doing or having more than 2 sources of income, VERY UNCOMMON.

So i still maintain, IT'S A PURE LIE TO THINK THAT 70% OF NIGERIANS LIVE BELOW $1 A DAY!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by honeric01(m): 6:26pm On Sep 05, 2010
Sagamite:

Wa she're!!! Well done.

Take a look at 4 Play's write up.

Let me infuse tkb's informal sector theory in it.

Surely the informal sector's addition to the GDP cannot be more than 30% at best.

I keep on telling your lot not to assert what you see in the cities (in the liveable parts of it for that matter) as average for Nigeria when there is unbelievable poverty in the rural areas.

honeric01:

So in your long sermon, you are trying to say 70% of Nigerians live below $1 a day? hehehehe, you are joking, when last were you in Nigeria? when you came to Nigeria, where did you reside? did you for once go to the markets? do you know how much food stuffs cost? the cheapest soup you can cook for a family of 2 is nothing less than -N-500 (excluding what you are to eat the soup with).

Nigeria is made up of 70% informal sector where their take home pay cannot be ascertained by any foreigner, not even the Nigerian government, so where on earth did your source get their "facts" from?

Most governments in Lagos (state and local government) are begging these people to come pay any amount they think their businesses is worth as tax, you can only analyze what you have a grip of, most Nigerians (even those working in government establishments as civil servants) have other businesses that fetch them 70% of the money they survive on, it's very uncommon not to see a Nigerian doing or having more than 2 sources of income, VERY UNCOMMON.

So i still maintain, IT'S A PURE LIE TO THINK THAT 70% OF NIGERIANS LIVE BELOW $1 A DAY!
Re: Nigeria Close To Population Disaster – British Council Raises Alarm by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 05, 2010
honeric01:

So in your long sermon, you are trying to say 70% of Nigerians live below $1 a day? hehehehe, you are joking, when last were you in Nigeria? when you came to Nigeria, where did you reside? did you for once go to the markets? do you know how much food stuffs cost? the slowest soup you can cook for a family of 2 is nothing less than -N-500 (excluding what you are to eat the soup with).

You keep on going on about the so-called informal sector as if the people employed therein are not an integral part of the economy. All of them may not keep proper accounting records but a trained economist would still be able to estimate their take home income. It is not exactly rocket science.

If in fact most of these self-employed artisans have a large number of dependants then such an amount is pretty accurate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Who Released Awolowo From Prison: Ojukwu, Gowon Or Ironsi? / ”kaduna State Has A Military Administrator Not A Governor” – Senator Shehu Sani / South Eastern Aspirants Weakest In PDP Ticket Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.