Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,520 members, 7,885,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:59 AM

Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? (5509 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / 5 Boring Departments In Nigerian Universities / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by kokoye(m): 6:21pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^^Maybe you need to read the copied post and then my comment again.

I was just reponding to that post that said clubs would encourage lazy students to put more efforts into their studies.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by pheesayor(m): 6:25pm On Sep 23, 2010
@OP,
Your  Idea should not have been re-inventing, but registering and regulating the already existing one. People have been asking government to take this step a long time ago but the idea has been ignored and all the steps being taken against is just postponing the evil day.

Yes, Wole Soyinka had good intentions and pyrates till today still uphold those values. Registering the already existing frats would put an end to intimidation and all manners of oppression (which they are meant to fight against)
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Egbagirl(f): 6:32pm On Sep 23, 2010
@ Poster: How functional are fraternities and soros in the states today? Havent they lost their true meaning and initial foundational values? If they are not functional in the US anymore (and by this I mean actually what they were intended to do), how then can it work in Nigeria where there is a huge difference in society and culture?

I see no reason to revive this frat/soro thing in NG unless it is adjusted to fit our society and culture which I see to be unnecessary. I say this because, even the Nigerians that do study in the US, very few of them participate in Greek Life what more those who are in Nigeria. If we dont understand how something works, its best not to use it or implement it cos it will lose it true meaning and become a nuisance to society.

I dont think we have reached the level of incorporating greek life in our university education yet. (at least not the greek life of today)
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Egbagirl(f): 6:35pm On Sep 23, 2010
Do Nigerians understand what these frats are intended for? If it has no meaning to them or it does not fit into our culture then it's not needed.
Wole Soyinka and the others might have had good intentions but how many people share those intentions/values/sentiments?

I think the benefits of this action and the consequences should be heavily weighed. Frats are good but are they good in Nigeria. We have to be realistic. Are they what we need at this point? Will that improve the education that nigerians are getting? Priorities first!
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by zibe(m): 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2010
I think I like the idea. We already have frats like that running in my school, that's UNN. Its called Alpha, although they don't do any meaningful social stuff that others can see. its more like an enclosed family thing. Its for the rich guys in school but definitely not limited to the intelligent ones. More should definitely be done to make such frats socially beneficial.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by pheesayor(m): 7:45pm On Sep 23, 2010
This would have been useful back in 1952 when it started, now they exist and no matter what we do it won't leave. Recognition is the way out, they should operate in the open, the secrecy is giving them chance to do evil

Egba girl:

Do Nigerians understand what these frats are intended for? If it has no meaning to them or it does not fit into our culture then it's not needed.
Wole Soyinka and the others might have had good intentions but how many people share those intentions/values/sentiments?

I think the benefits of this action and the consequences should be heavily weighed. Frats are good but are they good in Nigeria. We have to be realistic. Are they what we need at this point? Will that improve the education that nigerians are getting? Priorities first!
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by timmy2409(m): 7:56pm On Sep 23, 2010
I think there's a misunderstanding here. After rereading my original post, I think it's very open to misinterpretation I wasn't proposing registration of the present 'secret cults', I meant that new frats would be created for positivity.
I attended the university of tech akure for one year, and I understand that there's an insanely high stigma that arises at the mention of 'fraternity', but I just thought the idea of a positive org with that 'title' might show that everything/person can be used in positive ways
Well what they are called fellowships but still function as stated in my original post? Would that work?
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by pheesayor(m): 8:15pm On Sep 23, 2010
timmy2409:

I think there's a misunderstanding here. After rereading my original post, I think it's very open to misinterpretation I wasn't proposing registration of the present 'secret cults', I meant that new frats would be created for positivity.
I attended the university of tech akure for one year, and I understand that there's an insanely high stigma that arises at the mention of 'fraternity', but I just thought the idea of a positive org with that 'title' might show that everything/person can be used in positive ways
Well what they are called fellowships but still function as stated in my original post? Would that work?

I understand your original post, but don't you think having new REGISTERED frats will cause others to be jealous? What if the existing one are registered? I'm suggesting this because there's nothing government can do to stop them because they are also part of government
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by chamber2(m): 8:24pm On Sep 23, 2010
@timmy2409

I think the BOOKS u r reading in d US is affecting ur reasoning or have u joined the smoking gang? Frat or whatever baptism u want to give it has never worked and will never work in Nigeria, simple.There r alot of things that need re-inventing in naija.And meanwhile,you said u planned teaching for JUST ONE YEAR,haba. Do you intend to achieve all these in one year? How many Nigeria Uni r u targeting or it is only the one in Akure? I sense u r coming home 4 NYSC.

Please think of something else and we will be glad to offer our suggestions
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by timmy2409(m): 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2010
chamber2:

@timmy2409

I think the BOOKS u r reading in d US is affecting your reasoning or have u joined the smoking gang? Frat or whatever baptism u want to give it has never worked and will never work in Nigeria, simple.There r alot of things that need re-inventing in naija.And meanwhile,you said u planned teaching for JUST ONE YEAR,haba. Do you intend to achieve all these in one year? How many Nigeria Uni r u targeting or it is only the one in Akure? I sense u r coming home 4 NYSC.

I dont belong to any frat, and even if i did, what does it matter? I said at least one year and not for NYSC. How difficult is it to understand what i wrote?

pheesayor:

I understand your original post, but don't you think having new REGISTERED frats will cause others to be jealous? What if the existing one are registered? I'm suggesting this because there's nothing government can do to stop them because they are also part of government
you're suggesting something like the Niger-Delta amnesty thing, idk how that would turn out, since the current secret societies have no clearly defined , postively contributory goals other than 'domination' and murking members of other cults
Egba girl:

so what do you suggest? nobody's doing jack to improve the system, and every idea that comes up 'is not what we need right now', then what do we need? and how do we obtain what we need?
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by chamber2(m): 8:50pm On Sep 23, 2010
so what do you suggest? nobody's doing jack to improve the system, and every idea that comes up 'is not what we need right now', then what do we need? and how do we obtain what we need?

How do we stop kidnapping?

How do we stop scuffle between motor parks union leaders?

How do we stop armed robbery?

How do we stop treasury looting?

How do we stop illegal arms importation by politicians?

How do we stop exam malpractice?

How do we stop corruption?

How do we improve power supply?

How do we eradicate poverty and hunger?

How do we stop laziness and poor attitude to work?

How do we stop religious fanaticism?

How do we stop tribalism?

How do we stop, etc?

New ideas are needed in these areas
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Rastamann: 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2010
Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? Not a good idea! People will always misuse such an idea moreso this issue of registering their members and so on have been tried but failed in our universities. There is cultism everywhere, In USA they call it gang, and so on, so what we need is to try and reduced it to the bearest minimum if it cannot be totally eradicated.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by xreal: 8:56pm On Sep 23, 2010
chamber2:

@timmy2409

I think the BOOKS u r reading in d US is affecting your reasoning or have u joined the smoking gang? Frat or whatever baptism u want to give it has never worked and will never work in Nigeria, simple.There r alot of things that need re-inventing in naija.And meanwhile,you said u planned teaching for JUST ONE YEAR,haba. Do you intend to achieve all these in one year? How many Nigeria Uni r u targeting or it is only the one in Akure? I sense u r coming home 4 NYSC.

^^^ gbam

may be his plan for the NYSC Community Development prog. hence Ondo State or a National NYSC award.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by otiokpo(m): 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2010
@ pheesayor u talk as if u know about the 4CPs and the 7RBs. hit me anyways Ah**
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Vitality31(m): 9:11pm On Sep 23, 2010
@poster, can you do what you just posted here in the US, if this is what you intend to bring to already saturated occultic infested nigerian university, then better remain there ok. come to think of it, i think you are a cultist yourself or that you were ones a cultist. am i lying?
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by xreal: 9:34pm On Sep 23, 2010
otiokpo:

@ pheesayor u talk as if u know about the 4CPs and the 7RBs. hit me anyways Ah**

kai, go do the hitting at the crime section, pls.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by donclemo(m): 10:04pm On Sep 23, 2010
guy e no go work oh , ask yourself this questions the school wey u dey how organized is it? how is the security there in the school? is there a student center where student can hang out and have fun in your school, do ur student government body support your association. they alot of question you can ask. there are a lot of things that would work in naija but definately this one.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by anayoe(m): 10:06pm On Sep 23, 2010
Think of other good and better things to do for this country than re-inventing the wheels.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Bay1970(m): 12:18am On Sep 24, 2010
What a stupid topic, take this off the front page pls.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Pafuri(m): 12:52am On Sep 24, 2010
Moronic thread.
@poster: you either do not get it or you are being mischievous.
Some facts:
1. The goals, membership (or, at least its leadership from year to year) of the Pyrates Confraternity is on file with the UI (Mother Ship) authorities just like any other organization on campus. I do not know anything about other campuses or other fraternities that grew out of a desire to start one's own fraternity having been kicked out of the Pyrates Confraternity for conducts unbecoming of a Sea Dog. These include use of illicit drug, disloyalty as in not upholding the creed of the group, betrayal of friendship, 'mutiny', public embarrassment, etc., etc. or simply wanting to be Cap'n of a deck.
2. Mr. 'Study in America', the membership of the Pyrates Confraternity is made up of the brightest minds you could find on the UI campus, and perhaps in Nigeria. The members have always graduated and gone out seeking change and betterment in whatever calling they choose to make their own. They have always excelled in all their endeavors, and have contributed immensely to whatever little accomplishments have been recorded by the Nigerian nation. Names will not be mentioned because you see, we do not seek public accolade.

You need some education, the type that could not be obtained unless you remove your 'reformist' goggles.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL REACTION.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by timmy2409(m): 12:54am On Sep 24, 2010
chamber2:

How do we stop kidnapping?

How do we stop scuffle between motor parks union leaders?

How do we stop armed robbery?

How do we stop treasury looting?

How do we stop illegal arms importation by politicians?

How do we stop exam malpractice?

How do we stop corruption?

How do we improve power supply?

How do we eradicate poverty and hunger?

How do we stop laziness and poor attitude to work?

How do we stop religious fanaticism?

How do we stop tribalism?

How do we stop, etc?

New ideas are needed in these areas

I know you're not blind, I said what do we need, and how do we obtain what we need?. I could name a thousand problems Nigeria's educational system has, but what can a Nigerian with any sense of patriotism do to help matters (of uni students in this case)? This is just an [b]idea[b] I have that I think might assist in shaping the future of some Nigerian students. You don't agree with it, fine, but provide an easily workable and also highly effective alternative solution to this prob (or to the all of the questions you asked)
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by manny4life(m): 1:31am On Sep 24, 2010
Pafuri:

Moronic thread.
Some facts:
1. The goals, membership (or, at least its leadership from year to year) of the Pyrates Confraternity is on file with the UI (Mother Ship) authorities just like any other organization on campus. I do not know anything about other campuses or other fraternities that grew out of a desire to start one's own fraternity having been kicked out of the Pyrates Confraternity for conducts unbecoming of a Sea Dog. These include use of illicit drug, disloyalty as in not upholding the creed of the group, betrayal of friendship, 'mutiny', public embarrassment, etc., etc. or simply wanting to be Cap'n of a deck.
2. Mr. 'Study in America', the membership of the Pyrates Confraternity is made up of the brightest minds you could find on the UI campus, and perhaps in Nigeria. The members have always graduated and gone out seeking change and betterment in whatever calling they choose to make their own. They have always excelled in all their endeavors, and have contributed immensely to whatever little accomplishments have been recorded by the Nigerian nation. Names will not be mentioned because you see, we do not seek public accolade.

You need some education, the type that could not be obtained unless you remove your 'reformist' goggles.

And your point is?

Anyway mr timmy, the way fraternities work here isn't the way it will work in Nigeria. A friend of mine who visited here began to chastise me about fraternity, and started saying a whole load of crap but I told him the fraternity I know is involved in community service, etc for the purpose of the good. I do not think it would be for that purpose; for good if its in Nigeria.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Pafuri(m): 3:13am On Sep 24, 2010
@manny4life: the point is there in the reaction. If you don't get it, too bad. Sorry, I can't help you. I believe or, at least I hope, the poster does get it. You talk about what you think, I talk about what I know. We are operating from different perspectives: yours is a realm of imagination, mine is the reality. Thank you, sir.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by eyanpataki: 9:30am On Sep 24, 2010
@manny4life: the point is there in the reaction. If you don't get it, too bad. Sorry, I can't help you. I believe or, at least I hope, the poster does get it. You talk about what you think, I talk about what I know. We are operating from different perspectives: yours is a realm of imagination, mine is the reality. Thank you, sir.

Wow I love that answer, That's how we intellect should react <meaningfully and a unique one indeed>
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 24, 2010
manny4life:

And your point is?

Anyway mr timmy, the way fraternities work here isn't the way it will work in Nigeria. A friend of mine who visited here began to chastise me about fraternity, and started saying a whole load of crap but I told him the fraternity I know is involved in community service, etc for the purpose of the good. I do not think it would be for that purpose; for good if its in Nigeria.
That is a good point. A wider point is that already there are campus based clubs in Nigeria that are set up specifically to render much-needed services to the community.
Setting up a secret cult that purports, among other things, to render community services is not the way to go.
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by candylips(m): 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2010
a mere pipe dream
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by oderemo(m): 9:25pm On Sep 24, 2010
just a thought , have you any confrat experience?
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by NET1(m): 2:24pm On Sep 25, 2010
This is an AMERICAN crop which will not grow in a NIGERIAN soil.

.NET
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by kellybaba(m): 10:46pm On Sep 25, 2010
The militarised culture that has come to shape the mentality of most Nigerians following years of debilitating military rule did find ts way in to the universities leading to a culture of violence and brigandage instead of dialogue and harmony.This coupled with the hardship and difficulties in the Country has worsened matters and has turned our under-grads into 'militants in academic gowns'.
Please Mr Timmy or whatever you call yourself,i think you should abandon this conflagration you are romancing with.The culture here is nautical miles apart from obtains in North America.
Meanwhile,we can think of ways of re-building the moral decadence in schools by patnering with genuine religious bodies.A nation without morality and conscience is a time-bomb waiting to go off at any time.
Thanks all the same for sparing some good thot for dear fatherland all the way from the US
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by timmy2409(m): 11:26pm On Sep 25, 2010
kellybaba:

The militarised culture that has come to shape the mentality of most Nigerians following years of debilitating military rule did find ts way in to the universities leading to a culture of violence and brigandage instead of dialogue and harmony.This coupled with the hardship and difficulties in the Country has worsened matters and has turned our under-grads into 'militants in academic gowns'.
Please Mr Timmy or whatever you call yourself,i think you should abandon this conflagration you are romancing with.The culture here is nautical miles apart from obtains in North America.
[b]Meanwhile,we can think of ways of re-building the moral decadence in schools by patnering with genuine religious bodies.[/b]A nation without morality and conscience is a time-bomb waiting to go off at any time.
Thanks all the same for sparing some good thot for dear fatherland all the way from the US

while i understand the causes and effects of the years of hardship poverty and widespread corruption on Nigeria's youth, i totally disagree with the solution you propose (in bold). It's definitely worse than mine, what defines a genuine religious body? every religious body claims its beliefs are genuine and every other religion's are delusions. also, to my knowledge, there're at least 50 religious organizations or 'fellowships' in every Nigerian university, what effect have they had on morality of the youth?

.NET:

This is an AMERICAN crop which will not grow in a NIGERIAN soil.

.NET

at least know some facts before you spew your stupid talk. It's not american culture. Frat is Greek culture originating chiefly within the Catholic church. So is Christianity, which obviously has grown as deep as my gradmother's pee-hole in Nigerian soil.

Pafuri:

Moronic thread.
Some facts:

and I'm supposed to believe you?? grin grin grin tongue

tensor777:

That is a good point. A wider point is that already there are campus based clubs in Nigeria that are set up specifically to render much-needed services to the community.
Setting up a secret cult that purports, among other things, to render community services is not the way to go.

Give me examples of such clubs pls, In my year at FUTA, there was nothing, I mean NOTHING AT ALL as such,
Ummm, I dont think an organization that registers itself and all of its members to the uni authorities is 'secret'
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by iceyfrank: 10:51am On Sep 26, 2010
my own na say guy u wan die!!!!!!!!!
Re: Reinvent Fraternities In Nigerian Universities? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2010
timmy2409:

Give me examples of such clubs pls, In my year at FUTA, there was nothing, I mean NOTHING AT ALL as such,
Well I cannot speak on how things were over there in Akure. Maybe the school authorities, for whatever reason, saw it fit to implement a blanket ban on all clubs and societies. That definitely is not the way to go about things as it just punishes the guilty along with the innocent.
But in some other federal universities there are clubs that do render community services.
timmy2409:

Ummm, I dont think an organization that registers itself and all of its members to the uni authorities is 'secret'
If you like we can drop the adjective secret and just call it a cult or confraternity. In Nigrian culture, these words alone do carry a lot of evil connotations and there is no reason to think that existing cults will not seek to challenge and confront this new organisation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun State University / Have You Seen Any Gtbank With A Gate? / Who Needs Neco 2011 Examination Question Paper.it's Real!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.