Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:36 AM

The Love Grotto - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Love Grotto (19880 Views)

Please, For The Love Of God, Experienced People Should Help Me Out Here! / She Gives Me The Love I Deserve" 17yrs Old Lesbian Shares Love Up Photo With Bae / See The Love Letter A Secondary School Girl Wrote To Her Crush.(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 8:12am On Jul 18, 2020
Four weeks later, I realized that Ruth’s mummy seemed to have let me be. She did not call my number again after that first call. So far, I had not come across her or her father during my visits to the house. I was thinking that sooner or later, I would still have to see them.

I was right. That weekend, about eight on Saturday morning, Ruth called my line.

‘Good morning, dear.’

‘Darling Ruth, how’re you this weekend?’

‘I’m fine. Can you be available in our house this Saturday by ten?’

My heart started beating fast. ‘Of course, I can be. Hope no problem?’

‘No. my dad wants to meet with you.’

My heart continued to race. ‘Really? I hope it’s for good.’

She could sense my uptightness, so she laughed.

‘You don’t have anything to worry about, dear.’

I nodded. ‘Okay. I’ll be there.’

‘Alright, see you.’

Somehow, I found myself jittery. It was not easy meeting Otunba Ola Daniel, Ruth factor or not.

But then, it was her very factor that made me fidgety. If her factor should be removed from the equation, I had no doubt that I would not be this nervy.

Ruth had said there was nothing to worry about. I wished I could honestly believe that. Although I was wearing casuals, my brand new t-shirt was a product of Tommy Hilfiger while the equally new jeans trousers was made by Versace.

My perfume was modest but distinctive. I took a cab to Ikeja G.R.A. I was ready to meet my future father-in-law.

This time around, I was not taken to the modest lounge en-route Ruth’s bedroom. I was taken directly to the expansive and tastefully furnished sitting-room.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I should learn that the exotic furniture were Italian. It was the biggest sitting and certainly the most luxurious I had ever entered in my life, so far.

There were oil paintings of the man and the entire members of his nuclear family. Ruth looked really beautiful in the portrait. Every other item in the room was exquisite.

Titi soon came back to me. ‘What will you like to take, please?’

Take? ‘No. Nothing for now.’

‘Are you sure?’

Sometimes, Titi was too officious for my liking. How would I not be sure? I nodded. ‘I’m very sure.’

She stared at me briefly and smiled. Did she sense my nervousness? This Titi seemed to know more than a house maid should know.

She sleeked out of the sitting-room. A couple of minutes later, I could hear some approaching footsteps. Otunba Ola Daniel, accompanied by his wife and Ruth entered the large room. I stood up to greet.

‘Good day, sir. Good day, madam,’ I greeted.

‘Ah, good day, young man,’ Otunba said. He extended his hand for a handshake. I took it reverently with a bow.

‘Good day, Frank,’ the woman of the house returned.

I turned to her and gave a short bow. The couple smelt like a real prosperous one. The woman, though on the chubby side, was beautiful. I could see that Ruth took after her.

‘Sit down,’ the man said.

We all took our seats. Ruth sat directly opposite where I sat, but I only looked at her briefly and turned to look elsewhere.

‘So, who are you to Ruth?’ Otunba asked.

I smiled briefly. ‘I happen to be her good friend and lover,’ I answered shortly.

‘Just that?’ he interjected.

You can get the full story:

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by BigBasher: 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nice one

1 Like

Re: The Love Grotto by CasNova(m): 1:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
Nice one

1 Like

Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 6:41pm On Jul 28, 2020
I turned to her and gave a short bow. The couple smelt like a real prosperous one. The woman, though on the chubby side, was beautiful. I could see that Ruth took after her.

‘Sit down,’ the man said.

We all took our seats. Ruth sat directly opposite where I sat, but I only looked at her briefly and turned to look elsewhere.

‘So, who are you to Ruth?’ Otunba asked.

I smiled briefly. ‘I happen to be her good friend and lover,’ I answered shortly.

‘Just that?’ he interjected.

‘That is the first stage. I’m also planning to take her as my lawfully wedded wife.’

He grinned as if he found that amusing. Even the woman, Chief Mrs. Bimbo Daniel smiled.

‘Are you sure about that?’ he asked.

Not too long ago, Titi asked a similar question. Were my words untenable? Or did I look untrustworthy?

Again, I looked at Ruth briefly. She smiled to encourage me.

‘I’m absolutely sure of that,’ I asserted.

He nodded and turned to his daughter. ‘You heard what he said. Does that make any sense, or is it false?’

‘It’s true, dad,’ Ruth replied.

‘True that what?’ her mother asked.

‘It’s true that Frank and I are in love and we want to get married.’

Once again, Otunba nodded. ‘That’s very good. It is on that basis that I sent for you. As my future son-in-law, I think we can start a cordial relationship even now. So, I want to ask you a question. If you get a better job offer, will you take it?’

I chuckled. This man must be funny. Was there any young man that would not accept a better job offer?

‘I’ll indeed accept,’ I answered.

He nodded musingly. ‘How much is your total remuneration right now at the place where you’re working?’

I told him.

‘I see. Look, I’ll offer you a better deal. A much better deal. If you’re in it, come and see me in my office by ten on Monday morning.’

He turned to his daughter. ‘Ruth will give you my address and telephone number.’

He stood up rather abruptly. I later got to know that he was a man of few words. It was the end of my first encounter with him. His wife stood up too. I got the cue and stood up.

‘Ruth will entertain you,’ he said.

‘See you.’

‘Yes, sir. Thank you very much, sir.’

Ruth remained seated while her father and mother left the sitting-room. I must say Otunba was a very impressionable man. I was impressed.

On Monday, I was in my office at Apezlinks to tidy up loose ends. When it was about quarter to nine, I went to Ms. Judith office.
‘I would like to go to the clinic,’ I lied. ‘Since yesterday, I have running stomach. I’ll like to go for treatment.’

‘Oh, God, sorry to hear that,’ she said. ‘Are you going to the staff clinic?’

‘No. There’s another hospital I personally use.’

‘Alright. You can go. If there’s any way you need my help, let me know.’

‘Thank you, ma’am.’

I left the office and took a bike popularly called ‘okada’ to Ikeja Bus Stop. From there, I took a small commercial bus to CMS.

From there, I took another bus to Victoria Island. The office of Otunba Daniel was at Saka Tinubu Street. I got to his secretary office at ten minutes to ten o’clock.

‘Welcome. Please, sit down,’ she said after I had introduced myself. It was all easy since I had an appointment with the CEO.

I waited for more than thirty minutes before I was ushered into his office. I could understand: shortly before I was ushered two men and a woman emerged from the office.

‘Good morning, sir,’ I curtsied.

‘Good morning, Francis. How’re you?’

‘Fine, sir.’

‘Sit down.’

‘Thank you, sir.’ I sat down and looked at him expectantly.

‘I want to take it that your coming means you’ve accepted the job offer.’

‘Yes, sir.’

He nodded. ‘Good. You will have to start from tomorrow. You will be working at Sagamu as Depot Manager of Saturn Oil and Gas there. I know you don’t have this particular experience before, but I trust you will learn on the job. The Assistant Manager who is already on ground will put you through.’

Sagamu? That was in Ogun State, although not far from Ikorodu. I didn’t know I would be going that far. All the same, since the offers were good, I would accept the job.

‘Thank you, sir,’ I replied. ‘I’m very grateful, sir.’

‘It’s okay. You’re welcome. See the secretary to collect your employment letter. She will also give you the address of the depot at Sagamu.’

‘Thanks, sir.’

It was as simple as that. I signed the duplicate of the employment letter, took the original and got a paper that contained not only the Sagamu depot address but also other outlets of Saturn oil.

It was good to be connected to the wealthy, wasn’t it? No test, no interview. Just, come and start work. It was as simple as that!
Just as Otunba had promised, the remuneration almost tripled what I currently earned.

There were also mouth-watering allowances. I was glad to read the details of my work schedule. But I was also to work on Sunday. Phew! To whom much was given, much was expected.

I called Ruth as soon as I stepped out of the secretary’s office.

‘I’m here already. Where’s your office?’

‘Ask for the Accounts Department,’ she said.
Just then, I saw a lady that looked like a cleaner along the corridor.

‘Excuse me, how do I get to the Accounts Department?’

She pointed at a door. I went to the directed door and pushed it open. It was a large office with partitions.

Ruth was already waiting by what looked like the reception section of the office where there were settees.

‘Hello, love,’ she greeted.

‘Hi, darling.’ I gave her a peck.’

‘How did it go?’

‘Very fine.’ I showed her the appointment letter. ‘Many thanks to you and your dad for this.’

‘Thanks be to God.’

‘And to you,’ I insisted.

She scanned through the letter. ‘So, you’re to resume tomorrow.’

‘Yes, at the Sagamu Depot.’

‘I trust you will put in your best, just as you were always hard-working at the advert agency.’

I smiled at her compliments. ‘You can bet that I will put in my best.’

After leaving Ruth and the head office of Saturn Oil, I went back to Apezlinks at Ikeja. As soon as I entered Ms. Aka’s office, she smiled at me.

‘I was about to call you,’ she said.
‘How’re you, now? Have you taken some treatment?’

‘Good morning, madam. I’m here to tell you the truth.’

She looked at me curiously. ‘What’re you talking about?’

I sat on one of the visitors’ seats, but moved closer to her. ‘I’m sorry, ma’am, there was nothing wrong with me. I lied because I had an appointment to keep.’

She looked disappointed. ‘But you could have told me that. What appointment?’

You can get the full story from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 7:49am On Jul 29, 2020
Nice update
Re: The Love Grotto by CasNova(m): 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2020
Nice update

1 Like

Re: The Love Grotto by Janet96(f): 7:31pm On Jul 30, 2020
Well done

1 Like

Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 12:20pm On Aug 01, 2020
After leaving Ruth and the head office of Saturn Oil, I went back to Apezlinks at Ikeja. As soon as I entered Ms. Aka’s office, she smiled at me.

‘I was about to call you,’ she said.

‘How’re you, now? Have you taken some treatment?’

‘Good morning, madam. I’m here to tell you the truth.’

She looked at me curiously. ‘What’re you talking about?’

I sat on one of the visitors’ seats, but moved closer to her. ‘I’m sorry, ma’am, there was nothing wrong with me. I lied because I had an appointment to keep.’

She looked disappointed. ‘But you could have told me that. What appointment?’

‘I had an appointment with the Chief Executive Officer of Saturn oil and Gas Company. The good news is that the interview session was successful.’

‘And the bad news was that you’re leaving, I suppose.’

I nodded. ‘Yes, madam. I’ll be dropping my letter of resignation in a matter of minutes.’
‘You’re leaving me, just like that?’

I was surprised by that utterance. I thought I was resigning from the company. Why was she personalizing it?

‘Er … I’ll be calling you, ma’am,’ I put in.

‘Of course, you must. All the same, I’m going to miss you.’

‘Yes, I’ll surely miss you and the office too.’

One hour later, I dropped my letter of resignation. I packed my personal effects from the office, bade my former colleagues good bye and left the Apezlinks Advertising Company.

I went home to prepare for my resumption at Sagamu the following day. Early on Tuesday morning, I left my Agege residence and took a bus to Ketu. From Ketu garage, it was easy to get Sagamu. Before eight o’clock, I was at the Depot office at Sagamu.

Kabir, the Assistant Manager welcomed me.
‘I’ve been informed you’re coming, Mr. Akowe,’ he said, while I nodded. ‘You’re welcome.’

‘Thank you.’

He removed his right hand glove and I shook hands warmly with him. He seemed to be a likeable fellow, and I instantly took a liking to him. I was taken to my office.

It was a cozy place, but everything there smelt new.

‘I was instructed to give you some working information on the operations of an oil depot,’ Kabir went on.’

I nodded and sat on the comfortable leather seat.

He sat across the table. ‘An oil depot such as this is a kind of terminal for the convenient transfer of oil and chemical products into road tankers for distribution to fuel stations. We are involved in the storage and distribution of refined oil products like petrol, diesel, kerosene and even domestic gas.’

I nodded. This was going to be fascinating after all.

‘Right now, out total oil capacity is two million liters, but we’re still hoping to build a bigger depot in the nearest future. Saturn oil is still expanding. You will learn more as time goes on, but let me tell you a bit about safety. In this industry, safety is our key word. The use of powerful equipment, flammable chemicals and processes can easily lead to deadly incidents.

‘We have hazards like vehicle collisions, explosions and fire outbreak, falls, ergonomic hazards, electrical hazards, machine and equipment hazards and so on. Of course, we have various safety protections which include eye and head protection,’ – he touched the helmet he was putting on, - ‘face protection, foot protection, hand protection and so on.

We try to uphold all these safety measures to prevent casualties.’

I studied him carefully. Apart from the helmet he was wearing, he also wore hand gloves on his hands and boots to cover his feet. His cloth was jeans and t-shirt.

Obviously, my suit and tie would not be suitable for a place like this. Here, I would have to be down-to-earth.

By eight-fifteen, all the staffers had arrived. They were summoned and I was introduced as the new Depot Manager. Briefly, I told them I needed their cooperation and dedication. Indolence or tardiness would not be tolerated.

After that, Kabir took me round the equipment and the facilities at the depot premises. I had no doubt that Otunba must have invested billions of naira to have that company on ground.

We soon got down to work, supervising the in-coming downloading and out-going uploading of petroleum products.

The smell of gasoline and other products filled the air. Luridly, I imagined the situation if that place should be on fire. Oh, boy, that would be like a miniature of hell. Such an inferno was unimaginable.

You can download full story: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 11:51am On Aug 03, 2020
Interesting update.
Re: The Love Grotto by BigBasher: 7:06pm On Aug 05, 2020
Nice work
Re: The Love Grotto by ThrillPlus: 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2020
Cool one.
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 11:17am On Aug 09, 2020
The smell of gasoline and other products filled the air. Luridly, I imagined the situation if that place should be on fire. Oh, boy, that would be like a miniature of hell. Such an inferno was unimaginable.

By 1.00 p.m., a mini-van was driven inside the premises. Kabir explained that the caterer contracted for providing lunch to the workers usually delivered the meal by that time of the day. All the workers enjoyed free lunch. When I tasted the food brought to my office, I could see that the caterer was not a bad choice. After my lunch, I called Ruth.

‘My dear, how’re you?’
I'm
‘Sorry, I’ve been busy since morning,’ she said. ‘If not, I would have called you. How’s your new working place?’

‘It’s exciting, but I’m still learning. We’ve been quite busy, too.’

‘You like the job?’

I chuckled. Would I ever say I didn’t like it? ‘Sure. As I said, it’s quite exciting.’

‘I’m glad to hear that.’

‘It’s a great opportunity to work in a place like this.’

‘Ah, thank God for that,’ she said and giggled.

‘People in Apezlinks will miss you, especially Ms. Aka.’

My heart started pounding. Why did Ruth mention Madam Judith’s name?

‘Yes, they will all miss me,’ I said tightly.

We chatted a bit more before we cut off connection. Somehow, I was becoming unsettled about Ms. Judith. Now that my baby was growing in her womb, I felt perhaps I shouldn’t have agreed to her proposition.

What would be the reaction of Ruth if she got to know? Was it not like having a child outside matrimonial home? But you are not yet married to her, for God’s sake, my mind chided me.

Even if she got to know after we had married, I could easily argue that I only donated the semen to her; that there was never a sexual affair between us. Besides, it happened before the relationship between Ruth and I blossomed.

After the lunch break, work continued in earnest. Towards four o’clock, Otunba called my line.

‘How’re you finding the job?’ he asked without the luxury of exchange of pleasantries.

‘The job is fine, sir. Good day, sir.’

‘Yeah, good day. See, instead of you shuffling between Lagos and Sagamu every day, you can be putting up in the company’s residential block there at Sagamu.’

Really? I didn’t know such a thing existed. ‘Yes, sir.’

‘Ask Kabir about it.’

‘Yes, sir. Thank you …’

The man had already hanged up. Phew!
Kabir later confirmed the residential block.

‘It’s a storey building that had about twenty rooms all together. An interested member of staff is entitled to a room there.’

I nodded. ‘I will need to know the place. Although, I’ll be going back to Lagos today, I may put up in one of the rooms from tomorrow.’

The official closing time was five p.m. After closing, Kabir drove me to the place in his Peugeot 604. If my assistant could be using such a sleek car, there was no doubt that sooner than later, I needed to have a car for myself.

The residential block along Ijebu-Ode road turned out to be a recently completed storey building. Four of the members of staff were staying there. As for Kabir, he said he lived in a two-bedroom flat in Sagamu. It was either I relocated from my apartment in Agege, Lagos; or I would have to manage the one-room apartment that the place could offer me.

I wouldn’t know how long my sojourn in Sagamu would be, so I ruled off renting a flat in Sagamu. I would just accept this offer for now and watch how things would turn out to be.

‘Okay, I will take a room here for now,’ I said.

I decided to take the first room by the right on the ground floor. It meant I would be sharing the toilet and bath-room with the other two occupants on the ground floor, but I didn’t mind.

Taking the room would save me a lot of hassles and stresses, and that fact was what mattered.

You can get the full story from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nice update
Re: The Love Grotto by BigBasher: 7:35am On Aug 12, 2020
Interesting.
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 9:01am On Aug 16, 2020
I decided to take the first room by the right on the ground floor. It meant I would be sharing the toilet and bath-room with the other two occupants on that floor, but I didn’t mind. Taking the room would save me a lot of hassles and stresses, and that fact was what mattered.

I soon left Sagamu back for Lagos. It was after nine in the evening when I entered my flat in Agege. There was simply no way I would be engaging my body and soul in this kind of energy-sapping shuffling every day, Monday to Saturday.

The following morning, I took three jeans trousers, two chinos trousers, three t-shirts and some other semi-casual wears when I left for Sagamu. A new phase of life had begun.

I called Ruth to let her know that I would not be returning to Lagos until Saturday afternoon and explained where I would be staying.

‘I understand, Frank, but be careful over there.’

‘Yes, I’ll be, darling. I can assure you of that.’

‘I love you,’ she cooed.

‘I love you too my sweetheart.’

‘Alright, have a nice day.’

‘And you too.’

I soon immersed myself in the work. At closing time, I went to the new abode. There was already a bed and a wardrobe in the room. That was okay by me.

As I would be eating out, I only needed the place to sleep and keep my few things; a place of convenience.

On Saturday afternoon, I returned to Lagos. Wow, what an exciting week it was. Ruth soon came around. We hugged as if I had been away for a long time.

‘I missed you, darling,’ she said.

‘I terribly missed you, my baby.’

She was with me till Sunday morning when she left. I dressed up and went to church. After the service, I went to explain the nature of my new job to the pastor and why I would not be coming for the mid-week service. I also explained that my new schedule would affect my coming to the church on Saturday.

‘I can understand,’ he replied. ‘The Lord be with you. You just remember to always be faithful to God and our Lord Jesus anywhere you find yourself.’

‘Thank you, sir.’

‘Let’s pray.’

He gave me a short prayer. I thanked him very well before I left. My activities the following week were like the previous one. I could see that I was learning fast on the job.

On Saturday morning, I was at work by eight in the morning. Later that day, I would be returning to Lagos. About ten o’clock, Kabir brought a man to my office.

‘This man is from the head office,’ he announced.

‘Good day, sir,’ the man greeted.

I looked at him enquiringly. ‘Good morning.’

‘I was sent by the Chairman to give you this envelope.’

It was a bulky one and I wondered what was inside. Certainly, it couldn’t be parcel bomb, I thought macabrely.

‘Good bye, sir,’ the man said and turned to go.

‘Wait.’ How could he think he would just go like that? If there was anything hazardous about what he had brought, we would all be the victims.

I opened the envelope and brought out the contents. There were documents and a key that looked like a car’s own. There was no message in it.

‘I don’t understand this,’ I said.

‘The car is outside,’ the guy said.

‘What car? What are you talking about?’

‘Oga said I should drive the car here and hand the envelope to you.’

‘I still don’t understand.’ I decided to call Otunba.

‘Good morning, sir. A guy brought a big envelope and said he was just to deliver it to me, and I don’t understand.’

‘Yeah,’ he replied. ‘That’s your official car. Have a nice day.’

Official car? I was elated. ‘Ah, thank you so much sir. I really appreciate this, sir.’

‘Yeah. I hope you’ll be dedicated to your work.’

‘Certainly, sir. I’ll put in my very best.’

‘Have a nice day.’

‘Yes, sir. And you too, sir.’

He cut the line. I whistled to myself.

‘Where’s the car?’ I asked the guy. I followed him out of the office to the sun shine. There, beside a tanker was a Toyota Highlander. It looked new and solid.

‘This is good. The Chairman has done well to send this,’ I said, half to myself.

‘Congrats, oga,’ Kabir said.

I smiled and nodded at him. ‘Thanks.’

‘I’m on my way, now,’ the guy said.

‘Sorry, I didn’t even ask for your name,’ I said apologetically.

‘Tony,’ he replied.

‘Thanks, Tony. Here, let me give you something for transport.’

‘That has been taken care of, sir,’ he said quickly.

‘I know. All the same, have this to buy some drinks.’ I fished out two thousand naira from my wallet and gave it to him.

‘Thanks, sir.’

‘You’re welcome.’

It was going to be an exciting weekend, wasn’t it? But then, I could not drive yet. I would have to learn that fast. For now, the car remained in the premises of Saturn Oil Company. I couldn’t wait to get back to Lagos before sharing the news with Ruth.

You can get the full download: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by BigBasher: 1:58pm On Aug 16, 2020
Cool one.
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 5:44am On Aug 20, 2020
BigBasher:
Cool one.

grin
Re: The Love Grotto by FairCritic(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2020
Nice update.
Re: The Love Grotto by LoveToRead: 12:23pm On Aug 21, 2020
Keep up the good work.
Re: The Love Grotto by seemegold: 4:16pm On Aug 21, 2020
Good work and very interesting
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 3:01am On Aug 22, 2020
It was going to be an exciting weekend, wasn’t it? But then, I could not drive yet. I would have to learn that fast. For now, the car remained in the premises of Saturn Oil Company. I couldn’t wait to get back to Lagos before sharing the news with Ruth.

‘Congrats,’ she said. ‘When will you be arriving in Lagos? I miss you so much.’

I smiled to myself. ‘By seven p.m., I should be there.’

‘I’ll be in your place too. Then, we’ll ‘wash’ this your car.’

‘Sure thing.’

Hours later, I left Sagamu. By the stroke of luck, the traffic was light that Saturday and I was in my residence by six in the evening.

Not long after I settled down in the sitting-room and switched on the television, my bell sounded. I wasn’t expecting any person apart from Ruth. Could she be the one? If she was, how come I didn’t hear her car drive in?

I drew the curtain aside and opened the door.

‘Hello, good evening.’

I was surprised by person who the voice belonged to. Smiling at me was Sister Ada.

‘Why, hello, good evening. What a surprise that you’re here.’

She came inside the sitting-room and sat comfortably on a sofa. ‘How was Sagamu and how was your trip?’

Apart from the pastor, she was one of the few people I informed in the church that my new job had taken me to Sagamu. But how did she know I would be arriving in the house at that hour?

‘Everything is fine,’ I replied. ‘I was just arriving from the trip.’

She smiled. ‘That means I walked in at the very right time. I was lucky, kind of.’

I nodded. Then I remembered that Ruth too would soon be coming. I really didn’t want her to meet Ada in my flat. What should I do? I decided I would have to tell Ada the truth.

‘I’m expecting the lady I’m planning to marry,’ I said. ‘And she will come in any time from now.’

Her countenance changed immediately.

‘The lady you want to marry? Who’s that lady?’

‘She doesn’t attend our parish,’ I said as if I had to say that.

‘I can’t believe you,’ she shot out. ‘So, my coming means nothing to you. Are you not glad to see me?’

‘Of course, I am. I’m only telling you so that it won’t be a surprise when she comes in.’

She remained indignant. ‘You’re telling me I’m not good enough for you?’

There seemed to be a lot of bile in her tone. Why was she taking everything this way?

‘I didn’t say anything like that, but I think …’

‘Just stop your silly thinking,’ she said in vitriol and stood up. ‘I can see that you don’t even know what is good for you.’

She picked up her hand bag and stormed out of my flat. I didn’t know if I should really feel relieved or not. But then, it was good that Ruth would not be meeting her in my flat.

Ten minutes later when Ruth came in, I was indeed glad to see her.

I kissed and caressed her. Later, I took her to eatery and feted her. When we returned to the house, there was a bot
tle of wine to continue the merry time.

‘So, have you made any plan yet?’ she asked.

I sipped from my glass cup and looked at her curiously. ‘Plan concerning what?’

Read more from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by CasNova(m): 9:05am On Aug 22, 2020
Nice work
Re: The Love Grotto by Janet96(f): 2:57pm On Aug 23, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Love Grotto by FairCritic(m): 6:47pm On Aug 29, 2020
Interesting piece
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 11:39am On Aug 30, 2020
She picked up her hand bag and stormed out of my flat. I didn’t know if I should really feel relieved or not. But then, it was good that Ruth would not be meeting her in my flat. Ten minutes later when Ruth came in, I was indeed glad to see her.

I kissed and caressed her. Later, I took her to eatery and feted her. When we returned to the house, there was a bottle of wine to continue the merry time.

‘So, have you made any plan yet?’ she asked.

I sipped from my glass cup and looked at her curiously. ‘Plan concerning what?’

‘Our wedding.’

My smile became expansive. I had made no such plan because at the back of my mind, I was still a little bit scared about the whole thing.

Now, somehow, her prodding gave me some courage.

‘We’re in June, now. Why can’t we fix November for the engagement and December for the wedding?’

She thought briefly over this. Then her face lit up in smile. ‘Good. I think that timing is perfect.’

I nodded. ‘We have to pray and work towards it,’ I added. ‘In God we must trust.’

‘I agree,’ she said, still smiling.

Three weeks after I started the new job, I was going through the account book and I discovered some discrepancies. The income we had made was more than what had been recorded. I called the attention of Kabir to this.

‘Some of the transactions were not recorded in the accounts book,’ I pointed out. ‘There’s a difference of almost five million naira between what was made and what was recorded.’

He smiled. ‘I was coming to explain that to you,’ he said. ‘What was not recorded is our own benefit. It is an internal thing between us. You can work out the sharing ratio. You make your clean money, and I make mine. It’s a very clean business. This is a very lucrative business and this is our opportunity to make the best use of it.’

I understood perfectly what he meant, but I would not be part of that. I might not be a saint, but I abhorred getting involved in shady deals.

‘I’m sorry, Kabir,’ I said. ‘I won’t be part of such a deal. As long as I’m here, count me out of it. All transactions made must be recorded.’

He looked uncomfortable with my decision, but he had no choice to dissent. Honesty and uprightness: those were my credos.

Two months after I started Saturn job, things continued to move smoothly. Ruth’s mother had not threatened me about plans to marry her daughter again, and the coast seemed to be clear.

It was three months to the planned introduction and four months to the wedding. Even Ada seemed to have accepted the reality on ground, for she had stopped coming to chat with me in the church or elsewhere.

I had called to tell my dad about Ruth. I told him all that led to my relationship with her and her wealthy background. Naturally, he expressed some concerns. When I reassured him that everything was based on love and understanding, he became fatalistic.

‘Let’s leave everything in the hands of God,’ he said.

‘Yes, daddy. God will surely take control of the whole thing.’

In the middle of August, a young lady came and asked to see the Manager.

‘I’m from the head office,’ she said. ‘And I brought a letter for you.’

Read more from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by Awesome05: 6:31am On Sep 02, 2020
Nice work.
Re: The Love Grotto by BigBasher: 1:32pm On Sep 02, 2020
Interesting piece.
Re: The Love Grotto by FairCritic(m): 8:36pm On Sep 02, 2020
Interesting
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2020
I had called to tell my dad about Ruth. I told him all that led to my relationship with her and her wealthy background. Naturally, he expressed some concerns.

When I reassured him that everything was based on love and understanding, he became fatalistic.

‘Let’s leave everything in the hands of God,’ he said.

‘Yes, daddy. God will surely take control of the whole thing.’

In the middle of August, a young lady came and asked to see the Manager.

‘I’m from the head office,’ she said. ‘And I brought a letter for you.’

Another letter? I thought. Had she brought a gift for me from the head office again?

I opened the letter and read through quickly. No, there was nothing to be delivered to me this time around. The letter was written by the Human Resources Manager.

The bearer, by the name Funke Ayeni, had come for IT and was to be admitted at the depot where she would be working with us for the next three months.

‘So, you want to work here at the depot for three months?’ I asked, just to be sure.

‘Yes, sir,’ she answered, smiling.

‘What did you study?’

‘I’m running HND programme in Chemical Engineering. The IT is essential to the course.’

I nodded. ‘Just one minute.’

I put a call to the HR at the head office and she confirmed that the letter emanated from her office.

‘Alright,’ I told Funke. ‘You’re welcome.’

I called Kabir and introduced her to him.

From the gleeful look on his face, I could see that he was glad to welcome her.

‘Alright, Funke, but where d’you live?’ I asked.

She smiled. ‘There’s no problem about accommodation. My father has a house right here in Sagamu.’

I grinned and nodded. ‘That’s good. That solves that angle. You can start your work here tomorrow.’

‘Thank you, sir.’

I later discovered that she came in her car – a sleek Honda Accord. That must be a rich student, I thought.

The following day, I discovered more about her. From what she said, her father, also a business mogul was a friend to Otunba Daniel and had facilitated her coming to Saturn Oil for the IT.

The arrangement was more of a family thing. Funke was the exuberant type. In the afternoon, she was in my office for chats.

‘So, where do you live oga Frank?’ she asked.

‘I stay in the official residence.’

‘Where’s that?’

I told her.

‘With your family?’

I shook my head. ‘Nope. I’m still single.’

I saw a bright smile on her face.

‘So, you stay all alone there?’

‘I’m here Monday to Saturday. After work on Saturday, I’m off to Lagos.’

‘So, Monday to Saturday, you’re all alone. Don’t you feel lonely?’

I shrugged. ‘I manage to get by.’

She smiled again. ‘I could keep you company, if you don’t mind.’

That was very brash of her, wasn’t it?

You can get the full download from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460
Re: The Love Grotto by CasNova(m): 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2020
Interesting story
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 3:58am On Sep 04, 2020
CasNova:
Interesting story

Thanks.
Re: The Love Grotto by tonysunkan: 8:53am On Sep 04, 2020
Nice work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Am After His Money And He's After My "Assets" / NO SHAME! Naija Lady Proudly Shows Off Her Dirty Undies Online / I'm In Love With An Ogbanje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.