Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,505 members, 7,926,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 04:17 PM

Atheism Is A Religion - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion (15089 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Even Water Proves That Atheism Is False. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 10:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> You err by surmising that I don't believe in evolution because I haven't studied it well enough. that is the connotation in your post. I am well aware of (and keep abreast with) the 'evidence' and counter arguments against them. Evolution still requires faith, especially so, since it deals with the origins of man.

The evidences for a lie can be overwhelming.

Evolution is not really about belief it's about whether or not you accept a scientific fact.
I'm asking if you have actually considered the evidence and if so, what are your particular objections? I'm not implying that you've not studied it well enough.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> inconclusively

What was inconclusive about it?

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> yes

Have you considered that it is because they are human constructs? I mean consider languages. Human languages are similar in some ways.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> Straw man again ! Science and Religion are tied down to ideologies. Why ?  Look at the definition of ideology.

It applies to both science and religion. You don't equivocate my use of 'ideology' to your own definition of science and religion. I hope I have made this lucid.

If it is a straw man, you need to show the misrepresentation I'm making of your argument.
The point I'm making is that whatever your dogma, beliefs or myths, science works consistently if done properly while religion is tied down to dogma etc.
Please point out the straw man or state your argument clearly.

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> I know so. You ask

I reply that it is exactly what science says. It is a religious inquiry into reality that engenders science.

Can you present evidence of this in any religious text? Or are you simply saying this because it is now current knowledge? I hope you realize that when these religions were invented, the original practitioners did not know the chemical constituents of water.

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> i was particular to use engender (or cause). Your use of 'influence' implies that religion indirectly led to science_not so. Religion (or religious thinking) which birthed science still influences science (and the scientific method) today.

So do you mean religion in general or just Christianity? Your claim of religious thinking influencing the scientific method is simply false unless you have the evidence to back it up.

Uyi Iredia:

You only asserted otherwise. by the way, as i gave with examples (like Semmelweis'),

What does the story have to do with authority? Can you compare the authority of any scientist to that of the pope?

Uyi Iredia:

science relies as much on authority as religion relies on evidence.

Which is not at all.

Uyi Iredia:

The differences and similarities are obvious.

Yes and the similarities basically end on the fact that they are both human constructs. It's the differences that are so engaging.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 11:20pm On Nov 18, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

An iteration (and rephrasal) of points in my former post should keep our discussion in check.

>>> The errancy of polarizing science and religion is highlighted by my 2 core points:
[list]
[li]The fallibility of polarity[/li]
[li]Their immutability in philosophy[/li]
[/list]

At this point it should be obvious that my intention is to blur the line between science and religion by means of two crucial elements common to both of them. Reason and Faith.

*Polarity is fallible because it ignores parallels between two concepts. it ignores their ambiguity and the fact that ambiguous concepts are handled by arbitration. I gave an example using good and evil to explicate this point. When you polarize 2 concepts, you ignore their similarities ab initio

*Religion and Science are philosophies. I expect that anyone should know that various 'isms' (e.g theism, deism, stoicism, platonism, communism, materialism, monism, evolutionism inter alia ) overlap and intertwine as regards the concept of science and religion. The plan was to make one realize this: the fact that religious and scientific worldview causes one's perception of reality highlights their similarity (they are one and the same expressed in different ways).

I'm not sure of what you're implying here but the fact that two things are similar on some level does not make them the same across board.

Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> Enmeshed in reality. In subjects like knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. All of which follow from reality >>> Perhaps so, given the fact that we can never have absolute knowledge of reality in its entirety, perhaps not_going by your definition of religion of course. I'm ignoring their differences_obvious ones given in your arguments. I'm thinking similarities_obvious ones you ignore in my arguments.

Why are you ignoring their differences when that is the point of contention?

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> Going by your definition of religion and faith. This further goes to show how subjective perceptions can be. Why others don't come to the same conclusion puts a question mark ? on what you have said.

The very fact of subjective perceptions is one of the shining lights of science.

Uyi Iredia:

A pity that scientists have to preach the scientific method to the uninitiated.

Yes. Unlike religion and some other similar activities, scientific thinking does not come easily. One must work at it.

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>>  In a dark room a person places a candle, then walks away. Two persons chance upon that room. One describes it as a dark room with a candle.The other person describes it as a candle in a dark room. Either way they are right, its a matter of perspective. I propose the same happens for science and religion who are the persons. The perspective is faith.

This is a poor analogy. Here's a modification to make it clearer.
One person describes it as a dark room with a candle another describes it as a room with spirits causing the darkness that are being chased away by fairies magically igniting their wands.

Uyi Iredia:

>>> the fallacy of equivocation in this context goes deeper than the change in how faith is effected. It is based on what faith is predicated upon reason (evidence). I excused myself from this fallacy by saying that while faith (belief) is the same the reasons for such faith is prone to ambiguity.

I don't see the reasons as being ambiguous. One has a lot of evidence the other very minimal evidence unless of course one makes some unfounded assumptions.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>>  undecided  not good enough. seen stuff like that

I put those up for comparison of evidence we have about religious activity and scientific thinking not tool use that has also been observed across other species.

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> no  >>> but accidental discoveries (like those of Oersted and Faraday) have further advanced science. don't get me started on this one

I'm not talking about accidental discoveries. I said modifications of scientific theory are done deliberately.

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> What's false ? My assertion ? or the examples given to support it ? perhaps the part where i mentioned clout ?  let me make this clear. science is primarily based on authority. the dissension here is the basis for such authority, as i denoted it isn't always evidence. Political clout wielded in scientific circles has a secondary role (if not a primary role_and arguably so) to play.

Your assertion is false and even your example backs it up. Einstein's theory was accepted because it worked not because it was Einstein that proposed it. Your claim about the modification being based on clout i.e the person proposing it is plainly false.

Uyi Iredia:

>>> furthermore, if i had any doubts about my assertion; this statement you made (note the bolded part)  erased it.

this further goes to show that science is asserting itself as the only viable means of perceiving reality. it is becoming an authority_an interesting fact

I really don't understand what problem you have with qualified people evaluating evidence in their fields. If you want to be able to evaluate it, then put in the work required.
I don't know what you mean about science being the only viable means of perceiving reality but one thing that I do know is that scientific methods are the best ways we have of gaining knowledge about the world we live in.

Uyi Iredia:

*7 >>> no >>> but they were most definitely revised

Since the texts were not rewritten then someone else can go ahead and use another interpretation. How then can you tell who is right and who is wrong if the text remains the same but two people in the same times draw different conclusions from it?

Uyi Iredia:

*8 >>> i can clearly see that

Good.

Uyi Iredia:

*9 >>> They ARE in a single category_in Life, in Nature (and as I've repeated by the dozen) in Reality

Which of course places it in with all other human activities. So will you now say that all human activities are the same because they can all be shown to be similar on some level?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 2:02pm On Nov 20, 2010
thehomer:

I'm not sure of what you're implying here but the fact that two things are similar on some level does not make them the same across board.*1

Why are you ignoring their differences when that is the point of contention?*2

The very fact of subjective perceptions is one of the shining lights of science.*3

Yes. Unlike religion and some other similar activities, scientific thinking does not come easily. One must work at it.

This is a poor analogy. Here's a modification to make it clearer.
One person describes it as a dark room with a candle another describes it as a room with spirits causing the darkness that are being chased away by fairies magically igniting their wands.

I don't see the reasons as being ambiguous. One has a lot of evidence the other very minimal evidence unless of course one makes some unfounded assumptions.

I put those up for comparison of evidence we have about religious activity and scientific thinking not tool use that has also been observed across other species.

I'm not talking about accidental discoveries. I said modifications of scientific theory are done deliberately.

Your assertion is false and even your example backs it up. Einstein's theory was accepted because it worked not because it was Einstein that proposed it. Your claim about the modification being based on clout i.e the person proposing it is plainly false.*9

I really don't understand what problem you have with qualified people evaluating evidence in their fields. If you want to be able to evaluate it, then put in the work required.
I don't know what you mean about science being the only viable means of perceiving reality but one thing that I do know is that scientific methods are the best ways we have of gaining knowledge about the world we live in.

Since the texts were not rewritten then someone else can go ahead and use another interpretation. How then can you tell who is right and who is wrong if the text remains the same but two people in the same times draw different conclusions from it?
Good.*12

Which of course places it in with all other human activities. So will you now say that all human activities are the same because they can all be shown to be similar on some level?*13

*1 >>> Without an understanding of that explication, this post will tend to redundancy >>> i hinted this by saying that our discussion needs be put in check >>> state what you make out of that paragraph >>> (you should note) that it is the core of this debate

*2 >>> as antagonisms against similarities you ignore >>> because of your rigid adhesion to your own definition of faith, religion and science

*3 >>> same goes for religion >>> 'subjective perceptions' is one of several phenomena common to both science and religion >>> think 'revelation', 'intuition and 'imagination' (examples of aforementioned phenomena)

*4 >>> if you think so by all means create a new religion >>> at the least a small church

*5 >>> my analogy is apt for my conception of science and religion >>> yours is also suited for your own conception (or rather, definition) of religion in particular >>> we are both even in this regard

*6 >>> what kind of 'unfounded assumptions' ? >>> the evidence for a scientific school of thought crumbles when a new one comes up (think Ptolemy and Copernicus) >>> *at this point, i see our mentations and worldview, as equal to that of the characters Neo and Smith in The Matrix Trilogy. I hope you are thinking what I'm thinking*

*7 >>> did you bother to compare dates  >>> between the three ? *it seems at some point we are going to argue about evolution. sooner, than later*

*8 >>> i was hoping that you would infer that 'accidents' do modify scientific theories

*9 >>> a rather weak argument since you jumped over how it was earlier rebuffed >>> also you reassert your point without even considering the possibility that my statement is true_with apt examples to back it up  >>> Political clout has a role to play in scientific circles >>> please do some homework on this

*10 >>> I have no problem with qualified people >>> *another parallel between science and religion. i'm thinking 'teacher' and 'cleric'* >>> but >>> qualified people doesn't always equate to evidence/proof beyond all doubt >>> a lie can be syllogistically and logically proven 

*11 >>> i will >>> once you explain the notion of 'subjective perceptions' (which i opine equally applies here) >>> so you don't you accuse me of equivocating

*12 >>> i was being sarcastic >>> it is your pedantry (something you earlier accused me off when I 'came strong' against Deep Sight) that is causing conflict of our opinions

*13 >>> They aren't the same >>> but human activities are 'the same thing in different ways' or 'different attributes of the same thing'
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 9:49pm On Nov 20, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> Without an understanding of that explication, this post will tend to redundancy >>> i hinted this by saying that our discussion needs be put in check >>> state what you make out of that paragraph >>> (you should note) that it is the core of this debate

I already said I don't understand what you were trying to say there.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> as antagonisms against similarities you ignore >>> because of your rigid adhesion to your own definition of faith, religion and science

I already said they had some similarities considering that they were human constructs.

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> same goes for religion >>> 'subjective perceptions' is one of several phenomena common to both science and religion >>> think 'revelation', 'intuition and 'imagination' (examples of aforementioned phenomena)

You misunderstand me. I mean that subjective perceptions are one of the things science avoids but religion uncritically accepts.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> if you think so by all means create a new religion >>> at the least a small church

I really don't need to. We've seen the rise and fall of several religions. And, there are quite a few examples of new religions.

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> my analogy is apt for my conception of science and religion >>> yours is also suited for your own conception (or rather, definition) of religion in particular >>> we are both even in this regard

No we are not. Your religious view accepts subjective entities such as demons and similar creatures I only included them there for clarity.

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> what kind of 'unfounded assumptions' ? >>> the evidence for a scientific school of thought crumbles when a new one comes up (think Ptolemy and Copernicus) >>> *at this point, i see our mentations and worldview, as equal to that of the characters Neo and Smith in The Matrix Trilogy. I hope you are thinking what I'm thinking*

Scientific views do not randomly change. They change based on evidence.
I mean unfounded assumptions like uncritically accepting the Bible as being absolutely true on all matters.

Uyi Iredia:

*7 >>> did you bother to compare dates  >>> between the three ? *it seems at some point we are going to argue about evolution. sooner, than later*

What's the point of doing that? Your reference was about a totally different fact.

Uyi Iredia:

*8 >>> i was hoping that you would infer that 'accidents' do modify scientific theories

Why would I infer that? It's humans that modify the theories based on what has been discovered.

Uyi Iredia:

*9 >>> a rather weak argument since you jumped over how it was earlier rebuffed >>> also you reassert your point without even considering the possibility that my statement is true_with apt examples to back it up  >>> Political clout has a role to play in scientific circles >>> please do some homework on this

Then please present these apt examples of science being primarily based on authority.
Political clout? I'm not speaking about scientific circles. I'm speaking about scientific theories. I think you need to present your evidence of political clout making scientific theories better.

Uyi Iredia:

*10 >>> I have no problem with qualified people >>> *another parallel between science and religion. i'm thinking 'teacher' and 'cleric'* >>> but >>> qualified people doesn't always equate to evidence/proof beyond all doubt >>> a lie can be syllogistically and logically proven

Please what are the qualifications of the cleric?
Science does not deal with "proof beyond all doubt".

Uyi Iredia:

*11 >>> i will >>> once you explain the notion of 'subjective perceptions' (which i opine equally applies here) >>> so you don't you accuse me of equivocating

Yes it does. By subjective perceptions, I mean awareness via the senses that are made by an individual which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. Now, what do you mean by subjective perceptions?

Uyi Iredia:

*12 >>> i was being sarcastic >>> it is your pedantry (something you earlier accused me off when I 'came strong' against Deep Sight) that is causing conflict of our opinions

I did? I don't recall doing that.

Uyi Iredia:

*13 >>> They aren't the same >>> but human activities are 'the same thing in different ways' or 'different attributes of the same thing'

Good. Then I think a good approach then will be to focus on their differences rather than their similarities because I think we both agree that they are similar on some levels.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 10:07am On Nov 22, 2010
i wasn't able to upload this post yesterday >>> due to a break in internet connection

thehomer:

Evolution is not really about belief it's about whether or not you accept a scientific fact.*1
I'm asking if you have actually considered the evidence and if so, what are your particular objections? I'm not implying that you've not studied it well enough.*2

What was inconclusive about it?

Have you considered that it is because they are human constructs? I mean consider languages. Human languages are similar in some ways.

If it is a straw man, you need to show the misrepresentation I'm making of your argument.
The point I'm making is that whatever your dogma, beliefs or myths, science works consistently if done properly while religion is tied down to dogma etc.
Please point out the straw man or state your argument clearly.

Can you present evidence of this in any religious text? Or are you simply saying this because it is now current knowledge? I hope you realize that when these religions were invented, the original practitioners did not know the chemical constituents of water.*6

So do you mean religion in general or just Christianity? Your claim of religious thinking influencing the scientific method is simply false unless you have the evidence to back it up.

What does the story have to do with authority? Can you compare the authority of any scientist to that of the pope?

Which is not at all.*9

Yes and the similarities basically end on the fact that they are both human constructs. It's the differences that are so engaging.

*1 >>> that's because of the clout behind evolution >>> scientific facts can be wrong

*2 >>> i'm still skeptical about evolution >>> let's trash this issue out b4 engaging ourselves on evolution >>> d'accord ?

*3 >>> b'cos of the subjectivity and ambiguity of what constitutes evidence >>> you assert otherwise based on your own perception of science and religion

*4 >>> true human languages are similar in some ways >>> but that isn't the way i'll define their similarity >>>

my speculative comment on the similarity of human language is that : Human language is a common way of expressing a perception of reality that is mutually shared between two or more people

observe that this definition is not restricted to human beings alone >>> it can apply to inter-species language

*5 >>> i earlier mentioned that science and religion are tied down to ideologies >>> i meant that both have a doctrines and beliefs central to their mode of operating >>> *this is why i put down the definition of ideologies_which you ignore* >>>

observe my train of thought. note how the bolded part is reflected in your counter-argument.

This is the aptest way I can express it: Belief is the 'espirit de corps' of any mode of thought.

Note that it is from a belief that a school of thought flourishes. Varied people contribute to such a belief and articulate reasons for such a belief till it becomes the very cornerstone of the existence of such people.

Science and Religion are inescapably tied down to ideologies. They influence the worldview of a person.

It applies to both science and religion. You don't equivocate my use of 'ideology' to your own definition of science and religion. I hope I have made this lucid.

look at what you wrote

Religion may be tied down but science is not tied down to ideologies this is one of the reasons for its universality on earth. The very same electromagnetic principles work whatever the ideologies of the practitioners.

now make the distinction between an ideology as a guiding principle and ideology as a worldview >>> and admit you erred

*6 >>> going by your logic >>> should i deduce that scientists were skeptic about the water they saw before finding out its chemical constituents >>> even the fact that such 'religious' practitioners could observe the attributes of and therefore name water shows their scientific ingenuity_unless you want to argue that the people who originally named (what is now called) water were scientists

*7 >>> the fact that you admit that human constructs are similar on a given level is enough evidence. I had previously stated that both science and religion have common footing (and are therefore invariably enmeshed) in philosophy >>> this is where the impact takes place

*8 >>> Albert Einstein, Aristotle, Francis Bacon, Isaac Newton, Thales, Charles Darwin >>> even Galileo Galilei was well respected by the church that's why what was a certain death sentence was commuted to house imprisonment >>> *note that you didn't argue the fact that neo-platonian philosophy seriously impacted upon church doctrines* >>> so many of them >>> do you want more ?

*9 >>> okay >>> you have effectively made it clear that you can never consider otherwise.

*10 >>> b'cos my posited 'errancy of polarity' is so pervasive in the mindset of opposing sides
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2010
thehomer:

I already said I don't understand what you were trying to say there.*1

I already said they had some similarities considering that they were human constructs.*2

You misunderstand me. I mean that subjective perceptions are one of the things science avoids but religion uncritically accepts.

I really don't need to. We've seen the rise and fall of several religions. And, there are quite a few examples of new religions.*4

No we are not. Your religious view accepts subjective entities such as demons and similar creatures I only included them there for clarity.

Scientific views do not randomly change. They change based on evidence.
I mean unfounded assumptions like uncritically accepting the Bible as being absolutely true on all matters.

What's the point of doing that? Your reference was about a totally different fact.*7

Why would I infer that? It's humans that modify the theories based on what has been discovered.

Then please present these apt examples of science being primarily based on authority.
Political clout? I'm not speaking about scientific circles. I'm speaking about scientific theories. I think you need to present your evidence of political clout making scientific theories better.

Please what are the qualifications of the cleric?
Science does not deal with "proof beyond all doubt".

Yes it does. By subjective perceptions, I mean awareness via the senses that are made by an individual which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. Now, what do you mean by subjective perceptions?*11

I did? I don't recall doing that.*12

Good. Then I think a good approach then will be to focus on their differences rather than their similarities because I think we both agree that they are similar on some levels.

*1 >>> u never said "I don't understand" >>> You said "I'm not sure of what you're implying here" >>> state what you make out of it and let's work from there

*2 >>> i know >>> but you said that's were the similarities end >>>

*3 >>> how so ? >>> illustrate this differences with examples *i intend to show you parallels between science and religion that'll be observed in your examples*

*4 >>> same for scientific theories >>> if you suppose it is easy to be religiously minded >>> attempt it

*5 >>> and you assume that it's all Christians that believe in demons ? and similar entities ? >>> note that i haven't even given my definition of religion >>> only vague hints >>> i'd say we're still even >>> you clarified my analogy based on your own definition of religion >>> and faith

i haven't forgot the fact that you equate faith to religious faith

*6 >>> and what constitutes evidence can be very random and is open to falsifiability >>> even despite being rigidly defined >>> BTW not every Christian assumes the Bible to be absolutely true >>> hence different Christian sects_the same goes for other religions

*7 >>> it wasn't about a totally different fact >>> you should have noted that the dates in tool-making correlates with the time such religious rituals were first observed (from the website you referred me to) >>> even in your website there were images of spear heads (hint of scientific thought) made at about the same time the python stones were carved

*8 >>>  exactly >>> what has been accidentally discovered

*9 >>> i didn't say political clout (wielded in scientific circles) makes scientific theories better >>> i asserted that they served as secondary basis (and arguably a primary basis) for acceptance of a theory >>> i have already given examples of Einstein and Semmelweis' >>> those should suffice as grounds *and before u cry foul*>>> if I were even to bring anymore i would advance that of Ptolemy vs Copernican models of the universe as another good example of political clout helping to advance a theory >>> asking me for evidence without bringing objections based on your own research into my assertions shows me that u don't want to think otherwise

*10 >>> and what are the qualifications of a teacher ? >>> then I have reason to be skeptical on evolution >>> BTW what does science deal with ?

*11 >>> by subjective perception I mean a person's way of interpreting a concept, subject, idea et al

*12 >>> you'll recall this

Also in my opinion, getting a message across is better done using simple words. Except where there really is no better option.

*13 >>> in doing that we miss out on parallels that can be attributed to both >>> hence my use of the term 'errancy of polarity'
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 3:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
On our former debate

BTW i still thought on questions you asked me in the post 'Is God Evil ?'

>>> The more I think on it >>> i still conclude that an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent (hereafter referred to as omni-attributes) entity follows given the same characteristics in nature >>> would you acquiesce to the fact that nature has these omni-attributes ? >>> do you have a different conclusion ? *which could possibly be predicated on evolution*

this is why i think that IF i were to drop Christianity >>> the most plausible path for me would be deism >>> not atheism

On this thread

>>> I must still stress the fact that I didn't just wake up to say that Atheism is a religion >>> i thought about it >>> so far the only worthy counters I've gotten from these thread are

*Deep Sight's connoting the fact that i risk branding a mere belief as a religion
*your mention of the fact that the defining atheism as a religion would strip the definition of religion of its essence

I decided not to add expatiate on my other points in my post on "The errancy of polarizing science and religion"  because we are still debating on points I've raised >>> however do comment on upon the following

An (edited) excerpt from my memoir on this topic

My aim is to demonstrate that atheism_especially 'militant atheism' advocated for by Richard Dawkins is a religion_

"You do not prove (or explicate) a non-belief"

"That you do not play basketball does not mean you do not participate in sport"

- Uyi Iredia

The problem for me is not whether Atheism is a religion. It is on articulating why it is a religion. I opine that the least clearance that could be granted for Atheism (as the homer stated) is that it is a religious position (which I interject to be a religious mold of thinking). To this end i propose that

"Atheism as a religious bent could evolve into a religion or birth a religion"

"A rejection of belief in deities is primarily founded upon materialistic beliefs embodied by a scientific worldview"

- Uyi Iredia

I believe humanity is witnessing the birth of science as a religion with atheism as its harbinger. I'm inclined towards the homer's posit-that atheism is a religious position. My view goes further; i believe that as a religious position, atheism can, and has already evolved into a religion. My ground for this bias as i earlier implied the way militant atheism is spreading.

Given the fact that all religions revolve around a deity, or a person/object that is deified ; it could be that the grounds for polishing atheism as a religion is flimsy. This is not so. Why ? because militant atheism clearly evinces the fact that atheism has climaxed to a point where the worldview it . It espouses has been deified. It clearly shows that a concept can be deified and birth an irreligious worldview. This might be what makes atheism unique as a religion_especially as a religion that denies all others.

Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Mudley313: 3:47pm On Nov 22, 2010
[center][img]http://img3.visualizeus.com/thumbs/08/12/04/religion,house,m,d,,atheism,house,reasoning,text,image-2e195825ebc08efcabbbe39f0df3876f_h.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 5:20pm On Nov 22, 2010
@ Mudley

[center][/center]
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 8:51pm On Nov 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

i wasn't able to upload this post yesterday >>> due to a break in internet connection

Ok.

Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> that's because of the clout behind evolution >>> scientific facts can be wrong

It's not the clout, it's the evidence. And Jupiter can be made of cheese. If you think the fact is wrong, then present your evidence demonstrating otherwise rather than simply making statements.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> i'm still skeptical about evolution >>> let's trash this issue out b4 engaging ourselves on evolution >>> d'accord ?

I'll take it any way you want. What is it about evolution that you are skeptical about?

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> b'cos of the subjectivity and ambiguity of what constitutes evidence >>> you assert otherwise based on your own perception of science and religion

Subjectivity and ambiguity? Please demonstrate this. Not just on my own perception, but on that of a majority of humans on earth.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> true human languages are similar in some ways >>> but that isn't the way i'll define their similarity >>>

my speculative comment on the similarity of human language is that : Human language is a common way of expressing a perception of reality that is mutually shared between two or more people

observe that this definition is not restricted to human beings alone >>> it can apply to inter-species language

I think that definition is restricted to humans. The first two words were "Human language" I don't think that would also refer to say pigeon language.

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> i earlier mentioned that science and religion are tied down to ideologies >>> i meant that both have a doctrines and beliefs central to their mode of operating >>> *this is why i put down the definition of ideologies_which you ignore* >>>

observe my train of thought. note how the bolded part is reflected in your counter-argument.

look at what you wrote

now make the distinction between an ideology as a guiding principle and ideology as a worldview >>> and admit you erred

You said religion and science were tied down to ideologies that implies that they are not ideologies but are made subject to ideologies. My point is that whatever one's ideology i.e beliefs, etc, knowledge gained from scientific principles will still apply. This of course means, that science is true, independent of ideologies. Do you now see my reasoning?

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> going by your logic >>> should i deduce that scientists were skeptic about the water they saw before finding out its chemical constituents >>> even the fact that such 'religious' practitioners could observe the attributes of and therefore name water shows their scientific ingenuity_unless you want to argue that the people who originally named (what is now called) water were scientists

This line of argument is simply irrelevant and is a poor attempt at evading a direct request. I'm not simply talking about the water molecule, I'm saying that knowledge that water had smaller constituents was not known until scientists worked on it which occurred much later. This is why such information and similar ones are absent from old religious texts. All they contain is information that was available to them then.

Uyi Iredia:

*7 >>> the fact that you admit that human constructs are similar on a given level is enough evidence. I had previously stated that both science and religion have common footing (and are therefore invariably enmeshed) in philosophy >>> this is where the impact takes place

Why don't you simply present evidence for your statement of religious thinking still influencing the scientific method today? And that of your religion birthing science? Or are you evading another direct question?

Uyi Iredia:

*8 >>> Albert Einstein, Aristotle, Francis Bacon, Isaac Newton, Thales, Charles Darwin >>> even Galileo Galilei was well respected by the church that's why what was a certain death sentence was commuted to house imprisonment >>> *note that you didn't argue the fact that neo-platonian philosophy seriously impacted upon church doctrines* >>> so many of them >>> do you want more ?

This is another attempt at evasion unless you're claiming that any of those names you mentioned had clout among scientists similar to that of the pope among Catholics.

Uyi Iredia:

*9 >>> okay >>> you have effectively made it clear that you can never consider otherwise.

I would consider otherwise if you presented evidence backing up your claim of science requiring authority similar to that seen in religion. Of course, this is yet another attempted evasion.

Uyi Iredia:

*10 >>> b'cos my posited 'errancy of polarity' is so pervasive in the mindset of opposing sides

I've agreed that there are similarities but this is pointless since what is being discussed is the difference.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 9:38pm On Nov 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> u never said "I don't understand" >>> You said "I'm not sure of what you're implying here" >>> state what you make out of it and let's work from there

All right, what it seems to me that you're saying is that religion and science are the same because you notice some similarities at some point. e.g the fact that science and religion can influence a person's worldview makes them the same.

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> i know >>> but you said that's were the similarities end >>>

Yeah so?

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> how so ? >>> illustrate this differences with examples *i intend to show you parallels between science and religion that'll be observed in your examples*

Ok. A person claims to have detected a new type of radiation. This will be reviewed and analyzed and if found to be consistent, will be accepted. Compare this to a religious belief in which a person claims to have heard an animal speak to them or to have heard God speak to them and this is taken as a fact.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> same for scientific theories >>> if you suppose it is easy to be religiously minded >>> attempt it

So you actually think scientific theories are adopted in the same way as religious beliefs?
I really cannot attempt to be religiously minded since I've seen the light.

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> and you assume that it's all Christians that believe in demons ? and similar entities ? >>> note that i haven't even given my definition of religion >>> only vague hints >>> i'd say we're still even >>> you clarified my analogy based on your own definition of religion >>> and faith

They all don't have to believe for it to be valid besides, the most important fact is that most believe in demons. I included fairies out of interest but I could easily change that to say spirits.
Then please present your definition of religion.

Uyi Iredia:

i haven't forgot the fact that you equate faith to religious faith

Yeah so?

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> and what constitutes evidence can be very random and is open to falsifiability >>> even despite being rigidly defined >>> BTW not every Christian assumes the Bible to be absolutely true >>> hence different Christian sects_the same goes for other religions

Huh evidence can be random? I'm sorry, but you are again flat out mistaken. What is considered scientific evidence is carefully selected to match what is being studied.
Again, the important thing is that many Christians accept the Bible uncritically. The multiple sects is of course a point against Christianity.

Uyi Iredia:

*7 >>> it wasn't about a totally different fact >>> you should have noted that the dates in tool-making correlates with the time such religious rituals were first observed (from the website you referred me to) >>> even in your website there were images of spear heads (hint of scientific thought) made at about the same time the python stones were carved

Again, tool making is not a sign of scientific thinking. You may recall that tool making has been noted in at least two vertebrate orders so it is not even exclusive to humans unless you wish to claim that other animal species are scientific.

Uyi Iredia:

*8 >>>  exactly >>> what has been accidentally discovered

Why do you deliberately misunderstand what I'm saying, is it the discovery that rewrites the theory or the humans? Please understand that the discovery may change how humans view the world, but it is humans that write the theories.

Uyi Iredia:

*9 >>> i didn't say political clout (wielded in scientific circles) makes scientific theories better >>> i asserted that they served as secondary basis (and arguably a primary basis) for acceptance of a theory >>> i have already given examples of Einstein and Semmelweis' >>> those should suffice as grounds *and before u cry foul*>>> if I were even to bring anymore i would advance that of Ptolemy vs Copernican models of the universe as another good example of political clout helping to advance a theory >>> asking me for evidence without bringing objections based on your own research into my assertions shows me that u don't want to think otherwise

What do your examples have to do with political clout making the theory accepted? How did Einstein's theory require political clout for it to be correct? And Semmelweis? What does that have to do with anything being discussed?
Your claim about political clout being required for a scientific theory to be accepted is simply false. You are yet to present evidence of this.
Please understand that Einstein's theory was accepted because it was correct. The predictions made with it were accurate and have been tested several times and found to be accurate. This is why it is accepted not because of political connections. Unless you can show that the political connections that made it correct or more accurate.

Uyi Iredia:

*10 >>> and what are the qualifications of a teacher ? >>> then I have reason to be skeptical on evolution >>> BTW what does science deal with ?

A teacher requires specialized knowledge in his required field.
So what? Be skeptical. All I request is the parts of the theory of evolution that you're skeptical about and some signs that you actually have some basic knowledge of the theory. On a side note, I'd also like to know if you have a better explanation for the diversity we see.
Science deals with evidence.

Uyi Iredia:

*11 >>> by subjective perception I mean a person's way of interpreting a concept, subject, idea et al

Ok. How much value do you place on subjective perceptions? Do you place this above or below testable hypothesis?

Uyi Iredia:

*12 >>> you'll recall this

And the last sentence?

Uyi Iredia:

*13 >>> in doing that we miss out on parallels that can be attributed to both >>> hence my use of the term 'errancy of polarity'

Well if that's been your goal, then you're not meeting it in this discussion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 9:55pm On Nov 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

On our former debate

BTW i still thought on questions you asked me in the post 'Is God Evil ?'

>>> The more I think on it >>> i still conclude that an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent (hereafter referred to as omni-attributes) entity follows given the same characteristics in nature >>> would you acquiesce to the fact that nature has these omni-attributes ? >>> do you have a different conclusion ? *which could possibly be predicated on evolution*

Nature cannot have these attributes because it is not a conscious entity.

Uyi Iredia:

this is why i think that IF i were to drop Christianity >>> the most plausible path for me would be deism >>> not atheism

Ok. But why deism? Why this need to believe in a large conscious entity out there?

Uyi Iredia:

On this thread

>>> I must still stress the fact that I didn't just wake up to say that Atheism is a religion >>> i thought about it >>> so far the only worthy counters I've gotten from these thread are

*Deep Sight's connoting the fact that i risk branding a mere belief as a religion
*your mention of the fact that the defining atheism as a religion would strip the definition of religion of its essence
I decided not to add expatiate on my other points in my post on "The errancy of polarizing science and religion"  because we are still debating on points I've raised >>> however do comment on upon the following

An (edited) excerpt from my memoir on this topic

My aim is to demonstrate that atheism_especially 'militant atheism' advocated for by Richard Dawkins is a religion_

I think we would be better served if you could provide a framework for what you consider to be a religion.

Uyi Iredia:

"You do not prove (or explicate) a non-belief"

Ok.

Uyi Iredia:

"That you do not play basketball does not mean you do not participate in sport"
- Uyi Iredia

Yeah and refusing to play sport is also not a sport.

Uyi Iredia:

The problem for me is not whether Atheism is a religion. It is on articulating why it is a religion. I opine that the least clearance that could be granted for Atheism (as the homer stated) is that it is a religious position (which I interject to be a religious mold of thinking). To this end i propose that

I don't recall saying this.

Uyi Iredia:

"Atheism as a religious bent could evolve into a religion or birth a religion"

"A rejection of belief in deities is primarily founded upon materialistic beliefs embodied by a scientific worldview"

- Uyi Iredia

Maybe. But I never said atheism was a religious position.

Uyi Iredia:

I believe humanity is witnessing the birth of science as a religion with atheism as its harbinger. I'm inclined towards the homer's posit-that atheism is a religious position. My view goes further; i believe that as a religious position, atheism can, and has already evolved into a religion. My ground for this bias as i earlier implied the way militant atheism is spreading.

Science as a religion? This I think is an oxymoron. I don't recall claiming that atheism was a religious position.

Uyi Iredia:

Given the fact that all religions revolve around a deity, or a person/object that is deified ; it could be that the grounds for polishing atheism as a religion is flimsy. This is not so. Why ? because militant atheism clearly evinces the fact that atheism has climaxed to a point where the worldview it . It espouses has been deified. It clearly shows that a concept can be deified and birth an irreligious worldview. This might be what makes atheism unique as a religion_especially as a religion that denies all others.

Who is the God or on the path to becoming the God of atheists?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Oba234: 3:39am On Nov 23, 2010
Atheism is a religion according to my definition of what religion is. Religion is a faith based belief and that belief is the ultimate value.
first, atheism is a religion because there is no empirical evidence that God does or doesn't exist so to belief that God does not exist is to be acting by faith. Remember faith is something that cannot be proven. Second, atheism is a religion because it is a belief that God doesn't exist.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by DeepSight(m): 11:41am On Nov 23, 2010
@ the homer.

You get energy to dey bother long tori sef.

The reason I refused and still refuse to give any time or effort to this thread is simply this. Many people have called me an "argument junkie." My younger brothers say the same all the time. They used to say that it is only when I wake up and come to the living room to join the rest of the family that all sorts of different arguments and discussions start. Pastor AIO even gave me a subtle yabb the other day, saying that what i relish is endless banter to and fro withoutr head or tail.

Truth is, I absolutely LOVE debate. But in taking wisdom from all that people have said about me, I must acknowledge that it is not every discussion or debate that one must per force enter. There is no battle: and even if there were: there is no compulsion to "win" it.

The proposition contained in this thread is far too nonsensical to be entertained. You waste your time.

@ Uyi - My perspective is not intented to disparage you in anyway, so please I impore you to take no offence.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 8:17pm On Nov 23, 2010
Deep Sight:

@ the homer.

You get energy to dey bother long tori sef.

Yeah I do don't I. cheesy

Deep Sight:

The reason I refused and still refuse to give any time or effort to this thread is simply this. Many people have called me an "argument junkie." My younger brothers say the same all the time. They used to say that it is only when I wake up and come to the living room to join the rest of the family that all sorts of different arguments and discussions start. Pastor AIO even gave me a subtle yabb the other day, saying that what i relish is endless banter to and fro withoutr head or tail.

Truth is, I absolutely LOVE debate. But in taking wisdom from all that people have said about me, I must acknowledge that it is not every discussion or debate that one must per force enter. There is no battle: and even if there were: there is no compulsion to "win" it.

Nothing wrong with that. But one thing I've discovered is that one never knows who they reach through methods such as this and encourage such a person to think critically about some of their core beliefs.

Deep Sight:

The proposition contained in this thread is far too nonsensical to be entertained. You waste your time.

. . .

Nah I think it's time well spent because I also gain some knowledge and experience in these encounters.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2010
Deep Sight >>> never took offence >>> i was irked by the fact that you addressed nothingness >>> if my post is nonsensical then you should go about proving it >>> homer style

>>> if you think it's nothingness >>> treat is as such >>> you did that when you went for the glass of beer  grin

Still  >>> I'm waiting >>> I asked that u clarify the terms 'spirit', 'light' and 'spirituality' given the context of your definition of religion. It is with this I want to show where you misunderstand or ignore my posit(s).
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by harakiri(m): 3:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
All these dumb Christians never give up do they (the OP most especially included). Even invalids in the psych ward will laugh at the topic.

So freaking dense ! ! !

My goodness!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 24, 2010
harakiri:

All these dumb Christians never give up do they (the OP most especially included). Even invalids in the psych ward will laugh at the topic.

So freaking dense ! ! !

My goodness!

It's like someone with a disease trying to feel good about himself by claiming everyone has it too, even those who obviously don't.

I wonder what the doctrines of the religion of atheism are? grin
And what's the name of the atheist god anyway?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 9:23pm On Nov 25, 2010
thehomer:

I'll take it any way you want. What is it about evolution that you are skeptical about?*1

Subjectivity and ambiguity? Please demonstrate this. Not just on my own perception, but on that of a majority of humans on earth.

I think that definition is restricted to humans. The first two words were "Human language" I don't think that would also refer to say pigeon language.*3

You said religion and science were tied down to ideologies that implies that they are [b]not ideologies but are made subject to ideologies. My point is that whatever one's ideology i.e beliefs, etc, knowledge gained from scientific principles will still apply. This of course means, that science is true, independent of ideologies. Do you now see my reasoning?[/b]*4

This line of argument is simply irrelevant and is a poor attempt at evading a direct request. I'm not simply talking about the water molecule, I'm saying that knowledge that water had smaller constituents was not known until scientists worked on it which occurred much later. This is why such information and similar ones are absent from old religious texts. All they contain is information that was available to them then.*5

Why don't you simply present evidence for your statement of religious thinking still influencing the scientific method today? And that of your religion birthing science? Or are you evading another direct question?*6

*1 >>> we'll talk on that later >>> meanwhile check this out

*2 >>> i have

*3 >>> it would >>> inasmuch as constructs are similar at a given level >>> the resultant plasticity would allow my definition of language to apply to pigeon language

*4 >>> yeah >>> which was why i said it was straw man

*5 >>> so you think religious people didn't inquire into the constituents of water ?

*6 >>> which is why i asked for an example >>> my post is replete with the evidences you hold so dearly

thehomer:

All right, what it seems to me that you're saying is that religion and science are the same because you notice some similarities at some point. e.g the fact that science and religion can influence a person's worldview makes them the same.*7

Ok. A person claims to have detected a new type of radiation. This will be reviewed and analyzed and if found to be consistent, will be accepted. Compare this to a religious belief in which a person claims to have heard an animal speak to them or to have heard God speak to them and this is taken as a fact.
So you actually think scientific theories are adopted in the same way as religious beliefs?
I really cannot attempt to be religiously minded since I've seen the light.

Then please present your definition of religion.*10

Yeah so?*11

Huh evidence can be random? I'm sorry, but you are again flat out mistaken. What is considered scientific evidence is carefully selected to match what is being studied.
Again, the important thing is that many Christians accept the Bible uncritically. The multiple sects is of course a point against Christianity.

Again, tool making is not a sign of scientific thinking. You may recall that tool making has been noted in at least two vertebrate orders so it is not even exclusive to humans unless you wish to claim that other animal species are scientific.*13

Why do you deliberately misunderstand what I'm saying, is it the discovery that rewrites the theory or [b]the humans? Please understand that the discovery may change how humans view the world, but it is humans that write the theories.[/b]*14

What do your examples have to do with political clout making the theory accepted? How did Einstein's theory require political clout for it to be correct? And Semmelweis? What does that have to do with anything being discussed?
Your claim about political clout being required for a scientific theory to be accepted is simply false. You are yet to present evidence of this.
Please understand that Einstein's theory was accepted because it was correct. The predictions made with it were accurate and have been tested several times and found to be accurate. This is why it is accepted not because of political connections. Unless you can show that the political connections that made it correct or more accurate.

A teacher requires specialized knowledge in his required field.
So what? Be skeptical. All I request is the parts of the theory of evolution that you're skeptical about and some signs that you actually have some basic knowledge of the theory. On a side note, I'd also like to know if you have a better explanation for the diversity we see.
Science deals with evidence.

Ok. How much value do you place on subjective perceptions? Do you place this above or below testable hypothesis?*17

nd the last sentence?*19

Well if that's been your goal, then you're not meeting it in this discussion.

*7 >>> bad logic >>> as i presumed that is hampering our discourse >>> my core point can be summarized thus : as long as one makes a dichotomy out of the concept of science and religion one invariably precludes their similarities >>> the relevance of this to my castigation of atheism (militant atheism to be precise) as a religion >>> is captured by the quote i made earlier >>> "A rejection of belief in deities is primarily founded upon materialistic beliefs embodied by a scientific worldview"

*8 >>>

*9 >>> it shows

*10 >>> not yet

*11 >>> and what can be carefully matched is random >>> anything can be chosen to be carefully matched >>> true, multiple sects is a point against Christianity and science >>> BTW Christians also critique the Bible >>> resulting in skeptics as yourself >>> or other likely results

*12 >>> so what ? >>> random discoveries/occurrences effectuate scientific theories

*13 >>> j'adoube >>> but not because i made a false blunder >>> i'm aware that other species also make use of tools and this is a sign of cognition (not scientific thinking) >>> however your presenting of farming as evidence of scientific thinking is flawed

>>> there are a species of ant that engage in a form of farming *they capture another genus of ant and rear their milk* >>> i am also aware that bees produce honey (a type of animal farming i presume ?) >>> i came across these facts in an encyclopedia "Tell Me Why"_evidence of course >>> it is likely that other species can exhibit scientific thinking >>> i intend to check this out in the forseeable future

*14 >>> based on what ?

*15 >>> redundant and circular >>> those were solid pieces of evidence which you hogwashed >>> nevertheless google Thomas Kuhn >>> then let's talk >>> otherwise >>> kaput

*16 >>> same goes for the cleric
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 12:01am On Nov 26, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

*1 >>> we'll talk on that later >>> meanwhile check [url=http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/blog/this out[/url]

What argument do you wish to address?

Uyi Iredia:

*2 >>> i have

No you have not demonstrated how scientific evidence is ambiguous and subjective.

Uyi Iredia:

*3 >>> it would >>> inasmuch as constructs are similar at a given level >>> the resultant plasticity would allow my definition of language to apply to pigeon language

Did you read what you posted? It was specifically about human language.

Uyi Iredia:

*4 >>> yeah >>> which was why i said it was straw man

How is it a straw man?

Uyi Iredia:

*5 >>> so you think religious people didn't inquire into the constituents of water ?

Not just inquire but know that it was two parts of an element to one part of another element.

Uyi Iredia:

*6 >>> which is why i asked for an example >>> my post is replete with the evidences you hold so dearly

No it isn't. Your post is riddled with poor evidence or evidence that actually contradicts what you're trying to say. Here's an example. Can you present evidence of your religion helping us determine the distance from earth to the nearest star other than the sun?

Uyi Iredia:

*7 >>> bad logic >>> as i presumed that is hampering our discourse >>> my core point can be summarized thus : as long as one makes a dichotomy out of the concept of science and religion one invariably precludes their similarities >>>

I thought it was resolved that what we're discussing are the differences since we agree they are similar on some levels?

Uyi Iredia:

the relevance of this to my castigation of atheism (militant atheism to be precise) as a religion >>> is captured by the quote i made earlier >>> "A rejection of belief in deities is primarily founded upon materialistic beliefs embodied by a scientific worldview"

Not just that, there is also the poor evidence supporting beliefs in such deities even from the religious texts themselves and human reasoning.

Uyi Iredia:

*8 >>>

Nothing to add? That was an example for you.

Uyi Iredia:

*9 >>> it shows

Thank you.

Uyi Iredia:

*10 >>> not yet

Why not? How then do you actually wish to then point out that atheism of any sort is a religion if you've refused to clarify what you mean by religion?

Uyi Iredia:

*11 >>> and what can be carefully matched is random >>>

Huh?

Uyi Iredia:

anything can be chosen to be carefully matched >>>

What's the relevance of this?

Uyi Iredia:

true, multiple sects is a point against Christianity and science >>> BTW Christians also critique the Bible >>> resulting in skeptics as yourself >>> or other likely results

There you go.

Uyi Iredia:

*12 >>> so what ? >>> random discoveries/occurrences effectuate scientific theories

Random discoveries do not write theories, humans do.

Uyi Iredia:

*13 >>> j'adoube >>> but not because i made a false blunder >>> i'm aware that other species also make use of tools and this is a sign of cognition (not scientific thinking) >>> however your presenting of farming as evidence of scientific thinking is flawed

How is it flawed?

Uyi Iredia:

>>> there are a species of ant that engage in a form of farming *they capture another genus of ant and rear their milk* >>> i am also aware that bees produce honey (a type of animal farming i presume ?) >>> i came across these facts in an encyclopedia "Tell Me Why"_evidence of course >>> it is likely that other species can exhibit scientific thinking >>> i intend to check this out in the forseeable future

I suspect you're speaking of the aphid here. You're confusing a metaphor of a symbiotic relationship for farming. Honey production in bees? What does this have to do with agriculture?

Uyi Iredia:

*14 >>> based on what ?

Based on the fact that humans humans write theories and not discoveries since discoveries cannot think or write.

Uyi Iredia:

*15 >>> redundant and circular >>> those were solid pieces of evidence which you hogwashed >>> nevertheless google Thomas Kuhn >>> then let's talk >>> otherwise >>> kaput

What is circular there? I simply pointed out how your claim was flat out wrong.
And what's the relevance of Thomas Kuhn to this discussion?

Uyi Iredia:

*16 >>> same goes for the cleric

What is the specialized knowledge that the cleric requires other than just making stuff up as he goes along?

Please do not evade the questions I asked you.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 1:51pm On Nov 26, 2010
check my previous post again >>> i have 'filled in the gaps'
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by thehomer: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

check my previous post again >>> i have 'filled in the gaps'

Which of them?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by DeepSight(m): 2:36pm On Dec 03, 2010
WHERE IS INESQOR? ? ? ?

I just came across YOUR OWN definition of religion in an old thread in your Mavenbox days -

@DeepSight:
It takes a lot of understanding to get what noetic is saying. "Christianity is not a religion". Why?
My personal definition of religion (open to criticism):

Religion is a strong belief in a supernatural power (i.e. Deity) or powers (i.e. Deities) who is (are) the personification(s) of (a) force(s) that control human destiny, some part of the world or some aspect of life.
In the light of my definition above, humans who believe in a religion or the other carry out relevant activities to ensure that they are in the right standing with that deity (or those deities) to prevent damnation and secure serenity and success either in this life, or in another (if they believe in a life after this one), or both. It is an ever-reaching attempt by man to reach and experience the divine.

Given the foregoing, your contributions to this thread are paradoxical.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Mudley313: 5:17pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^^you should know contradiction is in the hypocritical nature of most believers of the mostly inconsistent book of jewish mythologies and fairy tales. they label their tyrannical god loving and peaceful and other mythical figures like satan and allah evil while at the same time overlooking or even justifying obviously atrocious acts the bloodthirsty genocidal jewish god of the old testament committed. they condemn polytheism but are okay with 3 gods: the egoistic monster that is the father, the acclaimed miracle working jewish carpenter who was executed like a common criminal that is the son, and the ghost that impregnated another man's virgin wife without consent. it's only christians who would arrogantly argue that the worlds largest religion, christianity, is actually not a religion, while in the same hypocritical breath label something obviously anti-religion as being a religion. and you wonder why they're so divided in the interpretation of their own delusions
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by DeepSight(m): 5:44pm On Dec 03, 2010
^^^ That really struck me - This person argues that christrianity is not a religion, but that atheism is a religion? ? ?

Good grief.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2010
Deep Sight:

^^^ That really struck me - This person argues that christrianity is not a religion, but that atheism is a religion? ? ?

Good grief.

Of course Christianity is NOT a religion, it's a RELATIONSHIP with sky daddy.

On the other hand atheism,which is disbelieve in all forms of sky fairies and the likes, is a religion.

Duh!!!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by jmaine: 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2010
Mudley313:

^^^you should know contradiction is in the hypocritical nature of most believers of the mostly inconsistent book of jewish mythologies and fairy tales. they label their tyrannical god loving and peaceful and other mythical figures like satan and allah evil while at the same time overlooking or even justifying obviously atrocious acts the bloodthirsty genocidal jewish god of the old testament committed. they condemn polytheism but are okay with 3 gods: the egoistic monster that is the father, the acclaimed miracle working jewish carpenter who was executed like a common criminal that is the son, and the ghost that impregnated another man's virgin wife without consent. it's only christians who would arrogantly argue that the worlds largest religion, christianity, is actually  not a religion, while in the same hypocritical breath label something obviously anti-religion as being a religion. and you wonder why they're so divided in the interpretation of their own delusions

The hate of Saul towards Jews in the bible was worse than what you feel your dishing out. But the good news was, the same energy he used in persecuting and killing Jews was the same or even more energy he used in winning back souls for Christ . You utterances towards anything Christ could be said to be very foul. You will end up using the same Filthy mouth of yours to Glorify God and preach his gospel. If you dare say over your dead body then so shall it be. Your lesson will be other people gains.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Mudley313: 6:47pm On Dec 07, 2010
jmaine:

The hate of Saul towards Jews in the bible was worse than what you feel your dishing out. But the good news was, the same energy he used in persecuting and killing Jews was the same or even more energy he used in winning back souls for Christ . You utterances towards anything Christ could be said to be very foul. You will end up using the same Filthy mouth of yours to Glorify God and preach his gospel. If you dare say over your dead body then so shall it be. Your lesson will be other people gains.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2010
Mudley313:

lmao
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by InesQor(m): 10:34pm On Dec 07, 2010
Im just seeing this.
Deep Sight:

WHERE IS INESQOR? ? ? ?

I just came across YOUR OWN definition of religion in an old thread in your Mavenbox days -

@Deep Sight:

Your post above is pathetic and it amazes me that someone who appears to wield the intelligence that many NL religion folk think he does cannot exercise enough mental muscle to tell that going by belief system, Mavenbox is not really InesQor (which is just one reason I never bothered returning to that username after I gained access to my mavenb0x login and mavenbox was also unbanned).

Everyone who has his head screwed on tight and interacted with the two user IDs like you did knows that a [b]serious [/b]change took place in me within this one year on Nairaland, howbeit it is evidently the same person. I have said the very same thing myself many times on this forum.

And was it not just a couple of days ago that KunleOshob then MyJoe objectively said the same thing in reply to the conversation below:
KunleOshob:

^^^
Nairaland has really changed Inesqor grin

InesQor:

@kunleoshob
LOL! You are only partially correct. Nairaland changed mavenbox. InesQor has always been like this <the rest has been edited out>

MyJoe:

Right. As a people watcher, I personally find the transformation from mavebbox to InesQor unbelievable. I would guess it takes a highly developed spirit or intellect or both to achieve this feat. Not that mavenbox's spirit has not been sighted hovering around a post occasionally but that is only human and it was always quickly reined in. Bravo!

A LOT of things I used to believe back then because I was brainwashed about them and I was ready to repeat them on demand, I have tossed now after careful study of the Bible for myself.

But then, is it not Deep Sight? He will always say anything just to gain an apparent edge, whether he really believes it or not. As is evident in his own post, he says "Where is InesQor. . . in your mavenbox days" which clearly shows that he knows there is a difference in the two personae.

Deep Sight, your falsehood and penchant to jump head-first and argue blindly, and misuse evidence, and misconstrue information is one reason I can never take your posts serious any more since the "Paradise is in Hell" thread (not like I expect you to be bothered). Maybe except for entertainment and literary gymnastics.

Think for a moment. Am I the only one who makes this complaint against you? Oh no I'm not. Christians, Non-christians, all alike make the same complaints of your manner of twisting information on its own neck.

If ten people call you a donkey, go and buy a saddle.

Deep Sight:

Given the foregoing, your contributions to this thread are paradoxical.
Paradoxical koo. Parozone super bleach nii  grin
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2010
@DSight I'm disappointed with ur post. how could u have descended to such a low level? I'm here clamouring that u deserve to be this sections poster of the year, not minding ur numerous attacks on Christians&Christianity.
U started a thread apologising to Christians on Nl for ur numerous,unpleasant & unnecessary attacks on the pretence that u would turn a new leaf. What u just posted about this chap is unfair&unnecessary.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion by Enigma(m): 11:12pm On Dec 07, 2010
An interesting thing on this thread and in part why I stopped bothering is the double-standard almost bordering on intellectual dishonesty. The definition of "religion" proffered by thehomer unquestionably takes in at the least evangelical atheism as a religion. The intellectually honest thing to do is to either acknowledge this and/or to disown the definition; in fairness, thehomer himself tacitly does this (Edit: and to some extent Purist too) but I see some of his supporters pursuing red herrings.

Interestingly, myself and InesQor did not initially seriously argue that atheism per se is a religion; however, it was very easy to turn the argument of the atheists and their supporters on its own head.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Didn't You Go To Church?? Sundays Frequently Asked Question / Wow. The Bible 'God' Killed More People Than 'Satan' Ever Did. / Only A Fool Says There Is No God.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 283
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.