Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,883 members, 7,879,688 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 03:27 AM

FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide (52737 Views)

FG Names Abuja Expressway After Chinua Achebe / FG Names 15 Terrorism Financiers, BDCs, Plans Sanctions / INEC To Tribunal: Atiku’s Lawyer Not Licensed To Practise In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CioAngels(f): 11:52am On Nov 03, 2019
Hmm, Tinubu, sorry about the Ikoyi registry been retained to its pride of place. I just did not understand how one person will come out to overturn federal owned establishment for his own personal looting scheme just because of the huge funds coming from there. Na wao.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 12:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Olafisoyem:

This is such a stupid move by the federal government and I’ll explain why.

First of all marriage is a right of every Nigerian of a certain age. The certificates show you as married.

The government is the body that should provide access to this right as stated in the constitution.

If the above is true then it’s the governments job to grant easy access to this right for all Nigerians. Our population is over 200 million.

So someone in government thinks for a country as big as Nigeria with such a population should have only 12 centres to serve the whole country.

Instead of them making things easy they make it hard.

One option would be to enforce that the LGAs provide the CORRECT certificate as proscribed by the government instead of stopping them from issuing certificates all together.

They are making Nigerians suffer for a argument between two layers of government.

Our roads aren’t safe and people should travel for hours just for a certificate. It’s not fair on the people and it just shows our leaders don’t have the people in mind. They don’t care!
. You are right.... The local governments complicated the whole thing.. The local govts also licence some churches the right to contract weddings and give them certificates... Is it not ridiculous? The are doing this so as to be making money for their councils against the constitution .I have seen more than 20 different certificates from different places across the country... outrageous! I expect the federal government to have registries in each state of Nigeria. and if local governments are ready to cooperate .It will lessen the burden of all of us

1 Like

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Duggedised12(f): 12:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
Solsix:

A state that has one is even lucky, imagine one in the whole of SE. If I want to marry now I will drive down to Enugu with the risk involve.
na so we see am o.naija!
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CanadaOrBust: 12:38pm On Nov 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. This is one of the problems we are having in Nigeria which the federal govt wants to correct. If you are a divorcee. you must produce evidence of divorce of your first marriage either traditional or statuary marriage. If you go to the site of the federal govt marriage Registry you will be asked to upload your divorce evidence if you are a divorcee..... This is different from illegal marriages many people are contracting today. Anybody who officiates at a wedding without confirming the status of the parties invoked will be imprisoned especially when one of them is not free to remarry

U r confusing customary divorce and statutory divorce.
If u had a statutory divorce u r required to present a certificate of divorce. Not so if u had a customary divorce. To statutorily marry, you shouldn’t already be in any type of marriage whatsoever. But u r only required to present divorce document if u were statutorily married
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by kayusely70(m): 12:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
capitalzero:

I hate divorce though. why not try dispute resolution
I married my wife on november 23, 1991 and are blessed with three issues, all graduates SOLELY financed by me. She has turned them against me and hates my family.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by mindtricks: 12:49pm On Nov 03, 2019
allthingsgood:

Close ur mouth there! Unpatriotic folk. Why must u eat importrd product when Nigerian rice is superior

That is an unpatriotic way responding to her opinion, don't you think so?
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Alashoalash10: 12:51pm On Nov 03, 2019
GistCaster:
In a new development to the disagreement between the Federal Government and some local government areas over who has the right to conduct marriages in the country, the Federal Government has published the marriage registries and places it has licensed to conduct statutory marriage across the country.

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Interior, re-emphasised its position that it was the only tier of government permitted by the constitution to regulate and conduct marriages.

It added that formation of statutory marriages was within the exclusive legislative list and that it was the regulatory body for the conduct of statutory marriages and the issuance of marriage certificates.

On its website, the ministry named the 12 registries in 11 states. They are the Federal Marriage Registries in Ikoyi, Lagos State; Abuja, Federal Capital Territory; Benin, Edo State; Owerri, Imo State; Port Harcourt, Rivers State; Kano, Kano State; Jos, Plateau State, Enugu, Enugu; Kaduna, Kaduna; Ibadan, Oyo State; Ikeja, Lagos State, and Makurdi, Benue State.

In an advertorial titled, ‘Public notice on conduct of statutory marriage’, in a newspaper on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry said, “The attention of the Ministry of Interior has been drawn to the publication in the PUNCH Newspaper of Friday, 13th September, 2019, page 42 under the caption, ‘Marriage: Ignore FG’s directive, LGs tell organisations’.

“The Ministry of Interior is therefore constrained to issue this notice in order to properly guide the public on the issue of Statutory Marriages under the applicable law in Nigeria.”

The ministry explained further that it had the responsibility for granting licences to qualified places of worship as well as LGAs that compiled with the provisions of the Act (Sections 4(2) & (5) of the Marriage Act), adding that the ministry had the responsibility to appoint officers to serve as registrars in the Federal Marriage Registries.

The public notice added, “It is observed that the local governments have deliberately misinterpreted powers conferred on them by item 7 (1) of the Fourth Schedule of the constitution.

“For the avoidance of doubt, item 7(1) states that the functions of the Local Government include: registration of all births, deaths and marriages. This provision is clear and requires the local government councils to maintain registries to register births, deaths and marriages for record purposes and planning.”

The ministry, however, warned that any statutory marriage conducted in breach of the Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation 2004 would not serve the desired purpose.

Gist from Gistmore
http://gistmore.com/fg-names-12-registries-licensed-to-conduct-marriages-nationwide
what happens to other States that were not mentioned ?so they will not marry from there ? All this is nonsense
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by renewable1(m): 12:53pm On Nov 03, 2019
Ok

8 HOURS ELECTRICITY DAILY FROM THE SUN.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by BlueAir: 1:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
My sexual orientation is what? grin paedo...
BattleFox:

For the goat and rice only abi. Sharp guy. But as if they tolerate people of your sexual orientation
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by BlueAir: 1:09pm On Nov 03, 2019
And yh for the rice and goat..u gat a problem with that fake ass angry
BattleFox:

For the goat and rice only abi. Sharp guy. But as if they tolerate people of your sexual orientation
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
allthingsgood:

Close ur mouth there! Unpatriotic folk. Why must u eat importrd product when Nigerian rice is superior
You don't say, "Nigerian rice is superior". You leave the market to determine that. cool cool cool
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 1:45pm On Nov 03, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

U r confusing customary divorce and statutory divorce.
If u had a statutory divorce u r required to present a certificate of divorce. Not so if u had a customary divorce. To statutorily marry, you shouldn’t already be in any type of marriage whatsoever. But u r only required to present divorce document if u were statutorily married
. You don't understand me....Ecitibiz.interior .gov.ng Go to the site and see requirement for remarriage whether your first wedding was statutory or traditional....
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CanadaOrBust: 2:08pm On Nov 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. You don't understand me....Ecitibiz.interior .gov.ng Go to the site and see requirement for remarriage whether your first wedding was statutory or traditional....

I went to the site and other sites. No where does any say u have to present certificate or document of customary divorce. Anyway they can’t - it makes no sense. Copy and paste any such requirement if u have it. Here is the relevant part (copied):

Marriage Applications: In order for one’s marriage to be legally binding, or to be recognized under the law, it has to be certified by the Ministry of Interior. The application for marriage can be done through the eCitiBiz portal, and a certified Marriage Certificate is issued, after all procedures and payments are duly met.

Marriage Certificate Re-issue:This is a service that is provided to couples who have already been married, however, they did not have a marriage certificate issued by the Ministry of Interior. Those couples can apply for a new certified marriage certificate through the eCitiBiz portal.

Change of Marriage Venue: This is a service performed for couples who wish to perform their marriages outside the Federal Marriage Registry. They would apply for this service and pay the required amount, so that their marriage can be conducted at their desired location outside the registry.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by gudugudumeje: 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2019
Running amok FGN and minister of interior, Aregbesola! Past marriages that LGs' conducted and future ones are illegal. Obnoxious!!
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by gudugudumeje: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2019
Running amok FGN and minister of interior, Aregbesola! Past marriages that LGs' conducted and future ones are illegal... Obnoxious!!
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by snaketail22(m): 2:43pm On Nov 03, 2019
allthingsgood:

Who told you the border was close to promote Nigeria rice ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by capitalzero: 2:47pm On Nov 03, 2019
kayusely70:
I married my wife on november 23, 1991 and are blessed with three issues, all graduates SOLELY financed by me. She has turned them against me and hates my family.
if the children are truly yours, try to settle the matter. if you divorce her,children will hate you more.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by frozen70g(f): 2:59pm On Nov 03, 2019
Duggedised12:
Just one center in states,this is just not fair to the masses in terms of convenience.

Imagine having to travel three hours to get to registry within your state lets not even talk of states where you don't have federal marriage registry at all undecided

Like Bayelsa state
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by akilo1: 3:03pm On Nov 03, 2019
Beremx:
Oga, open border o! This is least of problems in Nigeria.

No one should call me a smuggler cos I am not. I can't afford to buy a bag of rice for 50k and chicken for 30k a carton by December.

Nonsense!! angry
buy nigeria and grow nigeria
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I went to the site and other sites. No where does any say u have to present certificate or document of customary divorce. Anyway they can’t - it makes no sense. Copy and paste any such requirement if u have it. Here is the relevant part (copied):

Marriage Applications: In order for one’s marriage to be legally binding, or to be recognized under the law, it has to be certified by the Ministry of Interior. The application for marriage can be done through the eCitiBiz portal, and a certified Marriage Certificate is issued, after all procedures and payments are duly met.

Marriage Certificate Re-issue:This is a service that is provided to couples who have already been married, however, they did not have a marriage certificate issued by the Ministry of Interior. Those couples can apply for a new certified marriage certificate through the eCitiBiz portal.

Change of Marriage Venue: This is a service performed for couples who wish to perform their marriages outside the Federal Marriage Registry. They would apply for this service and pay the required amount, so that their marriage can be conducted at their desired location outside the registry.
. Check requirement for marriage ..You will see where it is written that you should upload evidence of divorce and affidavit of your status whether you did statutory marriage beforer or not....
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by kayusely70(m): 3:23pm On Nov 03, 2019
capitalzero:

if the children are truly yours, try to settle the matter. if you divorce her,children will hate you more.
I cant continue to live in misery to please them and die untimely death.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by allthingsgood: 3:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
OnyeIbo:

You don't say, "Nigerian rice is superior". You leave the market to determine that. cool cool cool

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by allthingsgood: 3:43pm On Nov 03, 2019
luvinhubby:

Why are you driving imported fuel when we have crude oil in abundance and 4 refineries?

That too will soon end. And u will wail some more �
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by Kennydoc(m): 3:55pm On Nov 03, 2019
Duggedised12:
Just one center in states,this is just not fair to the masses in terms of convenience.

Imagine having to travel three hours to get to registry within your state lets not even talk of states where you don't have federal marriage registry at all undecided
There is even none in the North East, so a couple in Maiduguri will have to travel to Kano, Kaduna or Jos to get married. Na wao.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CanadaOrBust: 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. Check requirement for marriage ..You will see where it is written that you should upload evidence of divorce and affidavit of your status whether you did statutory marriage beforer or not....

EXACTLY (assuming it says so - which I didn’t see) AFFIDAVIT not a certificate that u r divorced. Even singles can also submit those. How can a court issue u a document that they ordered your customary divorce when no court did any such thing
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 4:49pm On Nov 03, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

EXACTLY (assuming it says so - which I didn’t see) AFFIDAVIT not a certificate that u r divorced. Even singles can also submit those. How can a court issue u a document that they ordered your customary divorce when no court did any such thing
. The Federal registry has sanitised the procedure now for marriages under that Marriage Act...If you are single you do affidavit for bachelorhood or spinsterhood If you are a divorcee you need to present evidence of divorce whether the marriage you did before was statutory or traditional.The evidence must be uploaded ito the marriage Registry. ..Additionally there are different forms of statutory marriage:Marriage between two Nigerians. marriage between a Nigerian and a foreigner. Marriage between the two foreigners....... The three have different requirements........This development is to check fake and make believe marriage that are common in Nigeria.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by justmide(f): 5:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
So I can't do court wedding in Ekiti now? Its okay
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by orisa37: 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2019
GistCaster:
In a new development to the disagreement between the Federal Government and some local government areas over who has the right to conduct marriages in the country, the Federal Government has published the marriage registries and places it has licensed to conduct statutory marriage across the country.

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Interior, re-emphasised its position that it was the only tier of government permitted by the constitution to regulate and conduct marriages.

It added that formation of statutory marriages was within the exclusive legislative list and that it was the regulatory body for the conduct of statutory marriages and the issuance of marriage certificates.

On its website, the ministry named the 12 registries in 11 states. They are the Federal Marriage Registries in Ikoyi, Lagos State; Abuja, Federal Capital Territory; Benin, Edo State; Owerri, Imo State; Port Harcourt, Rivers State; Kano, Kano State; Jos, Plateau State, Enugu, Enugu; Kaduna, Kaduna; Ibadan, Oyo State; Ikeja, Lagos State, and Makurdi, Benue State.

In an advertorial titled, ‘Public notice on conduct of statutory marriage’, in a newspaper on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry said, “The attention of the Ministry of Interior has been drawn to the publication in the PUNCH Newspaper of Friday, 13th September, 2019, page 42 under the caption, ‘Marriage: Ignore FG’s directive, LGs tell organisations’.

“The Ministry of Interior is therefore constrained to issue this notice in order to properly guide the public on the issue of Statutory Marriages under the applicable law in Nigeria.”

The ministry explained further that it had the responsibility for granting licences to qualified places of worship as well as LGAs that compiled with the provisions of the Act (Sections 4(2) & (5) of the Marriage Act), adding that the ministry had the responsibility to appoint officers to serve as registrars in the Federal Marriage Registries.

The public notice added, “It is observed that the local governments have deliberately misinterpreted powers conferred on them by item 7 (1) of the Fourth Schedule of the constitution.

“For the avoidance of doubt, item 7(1) states that the functions of the Local Government include: registration of all births, deaths and marriages. This provision is clear and requires the local government councils to maintain registries to register births, deaths and marriages for record purposes and planning.”

The ministry, however, warned that any statutory marriage conducted in breach of the Marriage Act, CAP 218, Laws of the Federation 2004 would not serve the desired purpose.

Gist from Gistmore
http://gistmore.com/fg-names-12-registries-licensed-to-conduct-marriages-nationwide

This is Rubbish. It's either The FG is mad or This News is fake.
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CanadaOrBust: 5:49pm On Nov 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. The Federal registry has sanitised the procedure now for marriages under that Marriage Act...If you are single you do affidavit for bachelorhood or spinsterhood If you are a divorcee you need to present evidence of divorce whether the marriage you did before was statutory or traditional.The evidence must be uploaded ito the marriage Registry. ..Additionally there are different forms of statutory marriage:Marriage between two Nigerians. marriage between a Nigerian and a foreigner. Marriage between the two foreigners....... The three have different requirements........This development is to check fake and make believe marriage that are common in Nigeria.

Well I asked u to copy and paste where such requirement is made so we can learn. I didn’t see anything at all about presenting even an affidavit of customary divorce. What I saw is that you should not be in any type of marriage whatsoever (which should include just living with someone as man and wife).
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Well I asked u to copy and paste where such requirement is made so we can learn. I didn’t see anything at all about presenting even an affidavit of customary divorce. What I saw is that you should not be in any type of marriage whatsoever (which should include just living with someone as man and wife).
. Ecitibiz.interior .gov.ng. go to the site ..scroll to Marriage. open an account and you will be directed to instructions on how to contract the marriage. you will be asked to come and defend all your uploaded papers at the marriage Registry
Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by CanadaOrBust: 6:38pm On Nov 03, 2019
ejimatic:
. Ecitibiz.interior .gov.ng. go to the site ..scroll to Marriage. open an account and you will be directed to instructions on how to contract the marriage.

Open an account? R u serious?

The below ends the argument once and for all. This is the actual letter of the law verbatim (see screenshot). Notice it says AFFIDAVIT

11. (1) The registrar, at any time after the expiration of twenty-one days... shall thereupon issue his certificate as in Form C in the First Schedule:

Provided always that he shall not issue such certificate until he has been satisfied by affidavit-

(a) that one of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated at least fifteen days preceding the granting of the certificate:

(b) that each of the parties to the intended marriage (not being a widower or widow) is twenty-one years old, or that if he or she is under that age, the consent hereinafter made requisite has been obtained in writing and is annexed to such affidavit;

(c) that there is not any impediment of kindred or affinity, or any other lawful hindrance to the marriage;

(d) that neither of the parties to the intended marriage is married by customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is proposed to be contracted.

(2) Such affidavit may be sworn before a registrar, or before an administrative officer or before a recognised minister of religion.

Re: FG Names 12 Registries Licensed To Conduct Marriages Nationwide by ejimatic: 7:58pm On Nov 03, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Open an account? R u serious?

The below ends the argument once and for all. This is the actual letter of the law verbatim (see screenshot). Notice it says AFFIDAVIT

11. (1) The registrar, at any time after the expiration of twenty-one days... shall thereupon issue his certificate as in Form C in the First Schedule:

Provided always that he shall not issue such certificate until he has been satisfied by affidavit-

(a) that one of the parties has been resident within the district in which the marriage is intended to be celebrated at least fifteen days preceding the granting of the certificate:

(b) that each of the parties to the intended marriage (not being a widower or widow) is twenty-one years old, or that if he or she is under that age, the consent hereinafter made requisite has been obtained in writing and is annexed to such affidavit;

(c) that there is not any impediment of kindred or affinity, or any other lawful hindrance to the marriage;

(d) that neither of the parties to the intended marriage is married by customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is proposed to be contracted.

(2) Such affidavit may be sworn before a registrar, or before an administrative officer or before a recognised minister of religion.
. The opening part of your comment is rather disappointing. I think you are mature beyond that.However I never deny this provision on statutory marriage.Before I accessed the requirements from the federal government I opened an account on the site .That made me know everything about the requirements. Additionally I have processed for some people through the same procedure....In other words I helped them see the requirements at the site. If you go through what I said you will confirm what I have been saying..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kwankwaso In A Cockpit With Students He Sponsored Years Ago Turned Pilot-photo / Peter Obi Pictured With Ibrahim Babangida / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.