Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,974 members, 7,873,135 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:31 AM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22277 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Benin protecting her economy and Nigeria should go on destroying hers? Go through the ECOWAS protocols on movement of imported goods between member countries and come back
It's ok. If you think closing land borders will protect the economy. All well and good. Politics is a science. People are the lab rats. If a govt drew up an import prohibition list and have customs that can't enforce it, we should blame our neighbours.
There was a news recently about some prohibited goods finding their way to the supermarkets like shop rite and they came in through the ports. Perhaps we should tell buhari to close the ports too
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

The guy is a typical Nigerian wailer. So ignorant I’m tempted to call it illiteracy. He claimed to be in his late thirties but didn’t know nigeria banned pasta and sugar. I showed him, he’s still telling me sugar is not on the list that I should show him.

https://www.onlinedailys.com/list-contraband-goods-nigeria/

Here are List of Contraband Goods in Nigeria by The Nigerian Custom Service

Live or Dead Birds including Frozen Poultry
Pork, Beef
Birds Eggs – excluding hatching eggs

Refined Vegetable Oils and Fats – but excluding Linseed, Castor and Olive oils. Crude vegetable oil are however NOT banned from importation.

Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form containing added flavouring or colouring matter in retail packs.

Cocoa Butter, Powder and Cakes .

Spaghetti/Noodles .

Fruit Juice in Retail Packs.

Waters, including Mineral Waters and Aerated Waters containing added Sugar or Sweetening Matter or Flavoured, ice snow, other non-alcoholic beverages (but excluding energy or Health Drinks {Liquid Dietary Supplements} e.g. Power Horse, Red Ginseng etc) and Beer and Stout (Bottled, Canned or Otherwise packed)

Bagged Cement .

Medicaments falling under Headings 3003 and 3004 as indicated below:
Paracetamol Tablets and Syrups
Cotrimoxazole Tablets Syrups
Metronidazole Tablets and Syrups
Chloroquine Tablets and Syrups
Haematinic Formulations; Ferrous Sulphate and Ferrous Gluconate Tablets, Folic Acid Tablets, Vitamine B Complex Tablet [except modified released formulations].
Multivitamin Tablets, capsules and Syrups [except special formulations].
Aspirin Tablets [except modified released formulation and soluble aspirin].
Magnesium trisilicate tablets and suspensions.
Piperazine tablets and Syrups
Levamisole Tablets and Syrups
Clotrimazole Cream
Ointments – Penecilin/Gentamycin
Pyrantel Pamoate tablets and Syrups
Intravenous Fluids [Dextrose, Normal Saline, etc.]
Waste Pharmaceuticals.

Soaps and Detergents – in retail packs

Mosquito Repellant Coils (Mosquito Coils).

Sanitary Wares of Plastics – and Domestic Articles and Wares of Plastics (but excluding Baby Feeding bottles ) and flushing ceinstern and waterless toos toilets.

Rethreaded and used Pneumatic tyres but excluding used trucks tyres for rethreading of sized 11.00 x 20 and above .

Corrugated Paper and Paper Boards and cartons, boxes and cases made from corrugated paper and paper boards H.S. Code 4819.1000, Toilet paper, Cleaning or facial tissue, excluding baby diapers and incotinent pads for adult use
9619.00.2200 and Exercise Books.

Telephone Re-charge Cards and Vouchers
Carpets and other Textile floor coverings falling under H.S. Code 5701.10.000 – 5705.00.0000, 5516.2400, 5516.3400, and 5514.4900.00
All types of Foot Wears, Bags and Suitcases H.S. Codes 6401.10.9000 – 6405.90.9000 and 4202.11.9000 – 4202.99.9000 [but excluding Safety Shoes used in oil industries, Sports Shoes, canvass shoes all Completely Knocked Down (CKD) blanks and parts]

Hollow Glass Bottles of a capacity exceeding 150mls (0.15 litres) of all kinds used for packaging of beverages by breweries and other beverage and drink companies – H.S. Code 7010.90.4900 and 7010.9031.00.

Used Compressors – which includes; Used Air Conditioners and Used Fridges/Freezers.
Used Motor Vehicles above fifteen (15) years from the year of manufacture

Furniture – but excluding Baby walkers, laboratory cabinets such as microscope table, fume cupboards, laboratory benches (9403), Stadium Chairs, height adjustments device, base sledge, seat frames and control mechanism, arm guide and headguides. Also excluded are; skeletal parts of furniture such as blanks, unholstered or unfinished part of metal, plastics, veneer, chair shell etc.

Ball Point Pens and parts including refills (excluding tip)

Please explain all of these to him
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:31am On Nov 18, 2019
Lifestone:

Bro how would two wrongs make a right? I do agree with you that the President should be the Chief Marketer of made in Nigeria. That aside the ban on imported rice is the best policy decision PMB made in his Presidency.
Mind you, I am not a fan of PMB, but he got this right and we should all support him

If u agree with me that buhari ought to b d chief marketer of made in Nigeria goods, what u saying is that he isn't doing that. So if he isn't doing it, how does a policy to encourage made in Nigeria now become d best policy when d president isnt being d chief marketer of made in Nigeria goods& services?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by jaxxy(m): 4:47am On Nov 18, 2019
Kerfuffle:
Local rice production is catching up! The major problem is still distribution. Local rice milled to standard quality still sells for 14-15k in many parts of the country, and even cheaper in some parts.

This is a big opportunity for the citizens. Nigeria youths I repeat, go into Agriculture, and you'll most likely smile soon enough.

President Buhari please keep all the borders locked!

This government lacks intelligence on many fronts and it is clear to see however they try to copy intelligence and they do a shabby job at it. It’s quite sad.

While this a grand opportunity to boost our agriculture sector and other local production sectors we are ill prepared for the opportunity. The government doesn’t know how to plan ahead for most events and does its thing any how and when if feels like it.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 5:15am On Nov 18, 2019
Area4Area:

https://www.onlinedailys.com/list-contraband-goods-nigeria/

Here are List of Contraband Goods in Nigeria by The Nigerian Custom Service

Live or Dead Birds including Frozen Poultry
Pork, Beef
Birds Eggs – excluding hatching eggs

Refined Vegetable Oils and Fats – but excluding Linseed, Castor and Olive oils. Crude vegetable oil are however NOT banned from importation.

Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form containing added flavouring or colouring matter in retail packs.

Cocoa Butter, Powder and Cakes .

Spaghetti/Noodles .

Fruit Juice in Retail Packs.

Waters, including Mineral Waters and Aerated Waters containing added Sugar or Sweetening Matter or Flavoured, ice snow, other non-alcoholic beverages (but excluding energy or Health Drinks {Liquid Dietary Supplements} e.g. Power Horse, Red Ginseng etc) and Beer and Stout (Bottled, Canned or Otherwise packed)

Bagged Cement .

Medicaments falling under Headings 3003 and 3004 as indicated below:
Paracetamol Tablets and Syrups
Cotrimoxazole Tablets Syrups
Metronidazole Tablets and Syrups
Chloroquine Tablets and Syrups
Haematinic Formulations; Ferrous Sulphate and Ferrous Gluconate Tablets, Folic Acid Tablets, Vitamine B Complex Tablet [except modified released formulations].
Multivitamin Tablets, capsules and Syrups [except special formulations].
Aspirin Tablets [except modified released formulation and soluble aspirin].
Magnesium trisilicate tablets and suspensions.
Piperazine tablets and Syrups
Levamisole Tablets and Syrups
Clotrimazole Cream
Ointments – Penecilin/Gentamycin
Pyrantel Pamoate tablets and Syrups
Intravenous Fluids [Dextrose, Normal Saline, etc.]
Waste Pharmaceuticals.

Soaps and Detergents – in retail packs

Mosquito Repellant Coils (Mosquito Coils).

Sanitary Wares of Plastics – and Domestic Articles and Wares of Plastics (but excluding Baby Feeding bottles ) and flushing ceinstern and waterless toos toilets.

Rethreaded and used Pneumatic tyres but excluding used trucks tyres for rethreading of sized 11.00 x 20 and above .

Corrugated Paper and Paper Boards and cartons, boxes and cases made from corrugated paper and paper boards H.S. Code 4819.1000, Toilet paper, Cleaning or facial tissue, excluding baby diapers and incotinent pads for adult use
9619.00.2200 and Exercise Books.

Telephone Re-charge Cards and Vouchers
Carpets and other Textile floor coverings falling under H.S. Code 5701.10.000 – 5705.00.0000, 5516.2400, 5516.3400, and 5514.4900.00
All types of Foot Wears, Bags and Suitcases H.S. Codes 6401.10.9000 – 6405.90.9000 and 4202.11.9000 – 4202.99.9000 [but excluding Safety Shoes used in oil industries, Sports Shoes, canvass shoes all Completely Knocked Down (CKD) blanks and parts]

Hollow Glass Bottles of a capacity exceeding 150mls (0.15 litres) of all kinds used for packaging of beverages by breweries and other beverage and drink companies – H.S. Code 7010.90.4900 and 7010.9031.00.

Used Compressors – which includes; Used Air Conditioners and Used Fridges/Freezers.
Used Motor Vehicles above fifteen (15) years from the year of manufacture

Furniture – but excluding Baby walkers, laboratory cabinets such as microscope table, fume cupboards, laboratory benches (9403), Stadium Chairs, height adjustments device, base sledge, seat frames and control mechanism, arm guide and headguides. Also excluded are; skeletal parts of furniture such as blanks, unholstered or unfinished part of metal, plastics, veneer, chair shell etc.

Ball Point Pens and parts including refills (excluding tip)

Please explain all of these to him

Please explain all of these to him? I don’t have the time spoon feeding a full grown adult. I already gave him a screenshot of the list containing everything you typed here he said couldn’t see sugar on it, so I now have to direct his eyes towards it or point it to him physically? Hell no. When he’s not some 5year old kid. He can continue to wallow in his ignorance. A .... at 40 is a .... forever, well he’s close to 40. Let him retrace his steps or remain a .... forever.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 7:16am On Nov 18, 2019
Debaiz:

Please explain all of these to him? I don’t have the time spoon feeding a full grown adult. I already gave him a screenshot of the list containing everything you typed here he said couldn’t see sugar on it, so I now have to direct his eyes towards it or point it to him physically? Hell no. When he’s not some 5year old kid. He can continue to wallow in his ignorance. A .... at 40 is a .... forever, well he’s close to 40. Let him retrace his steps or remain a .... forever.
Choi!!!
Bros your mouth strong o, this kind early morning and you cannot fit pity a local man, you are simply wickedly wicked. Lol.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by 9jaRealist: 7:17am On Nov 18, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

BLESS YOU!!!

For example, that Nigerian local rice producers began to invest in de-stoning equipment was largely because of foreign competition (specifically, consumers preferring foreign rice to the stone-filled Nigerian variety), and even then a significant percentage of local rice still has stone issues.

This is a cheap populist stunt that deceive gullible sections of the Nigerian population (assuming the government actually has a clue), rather than investing in seedlings, improved inputs, irrigation, storage and logistics that will improve local rice yield/quality while keeping costs down.
>

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 8:21am On Nov 18, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Here's ur list. Oya show me sugar there adult. And if you can't point out sugar then you're the one lacking in adult traits.
Where did I say noodles/spaghetti is a failure of protectionism? You have comprehension issues fa.
Have you ever heard of import substitution? Lagos and Ogun rice mills have been in the pipeline since 2017. Border closure did not trigger them. Go and read about import substitution and read what you just wrote. Then you'll see where you're wrong.
Where did you get production at 50%? Ok o. We'll see who is deceiving who.
Let me inform you again like I did the other guy. Foreign rice is more expensive than local rice. Go to any market and find out. Its the quality that's the difference. Nobody including a patriot wants to spend hours picking rice nor having to eat rice and stone. Until Nigerian rice can be destoned properly, most people will not be really enthusiastic about it. It's interesting to note that with ur 50% increase in production, price has risen. Care to tell me why that is from ur well of roundabout knowledge?

Let me start from the bottom of your comment.

I’ve been eating local rice for the past 2months. There are very high quality Nigerian rice far better than the chemically parboiled rice that is imported.

Yes border closure didn’t trigger rice mills construction. It is the other way round. Govt foresees the future than you. By the time the rice mills are ready, the consuming populace will be used to Nigerian rice and ready to by. The big rice mill won’t have to struggle to integrate into the market. That is if you get the gist.

Now back to the SUGAR. Is this the only list or the only picture I sent? Go back and check the second list.

Aren’t you ashamed that I have to keep sending you back to the same comment all the time just because you couldn’t get the full picture the first time?

First you accepted you don’t know Pasta was banned after I gave you the list.

You said sugar is not there, I asked you to check again.

You checked again but forgot to check the second list.

If it were to be a 7year old kid that is unable to pay attention to details like this it will be understandable but a full grown man. Almost 40years.

Go back and check the second picture.

For the second time I’m telling you, you read with concentration and attention to details. Instead of rushing to make comment. That is what adults do.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 8:23am On Nov 18, 2019
9jaRealist:

BLESS YOU!!!

For example, that Nigerian local rice producers began to invest in de-stoning equipment was largely because of foreign competition (specifically, consumers preferring foreign rice to the stone-filled Nigerian variety), and even then a significant percentage of local rice still has stone issues.

This is a cheap populist stunt that deceive gullible sections of the Nigerian population (assuming the government actually has a clue), rather than investing in seedlings, improved inputs, irrigation, storage and logistics that will improve local rice yield/quality while keeping costs down.
>

Did protectionism help the following products in the lists below grow in nigeria or not.

Stop consuming the gibberish that the west is programming into your heads in other to keep you perpetually in their control.

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by 9jaRealist: 8:31am On Nov 18, 2019
Debaiz:
Did protectionism help the following products in the lists below grow in nigeria or not.

Stop consuming the gibberish that the west is programming into your heads in other to keep you perpetually in their control.

You do realize that closing borders is NOT synonymous with import prohibition? shocked
The fact that you’re confused about basic concepts makes it difficult to have a rational discourse.
>
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:38am On Nov 18, 2019
Debaiz:

Let me start from the bottom of your comment.

I’ve been eating local rice for the past 2months. There are very high quality Nigerian rice far better than the chemically parboiled rice that is imported.

Yes border closure didn’t trigger rice mills construction. It is the other way round. Govt foresees the future than you. By the time the rice mills are ready, the consuming populace will be used to Nigerian rice and ready to by. The big rice mill won’t have to struggle to integrate into the market. That is if you get the gist.

Now back to the SUGAR. Is this the only list or the only picture I sent? Go back and check the second list.

Aren’t you ashamed that I have to keep sending you back to the same comment all the time just because you couldn’t get the full picture the first time?

First you accepted you don’t know Pasta was banned after I gave you the list.

You said sugar is not there, I asked you to check again.

You checked again but forgot to check the second list.

If it were to be a 7year old kid that is unable to pay attention to details like this it will be understandable but a full grown man. Almost 40years.

Go back and check the second picture.

For the second time I’m telling you, you read with concentration and attention to details. Instead of rushing to make comment. That is what adults do.
You just played yourself ojogbon. Sugar is not banned in the second list, an import tariff is not a ban. I expect you to know the difference. Stop yapping about age. It seems you're a teen-ager after all dats why you can't get over it. It's ok. You'll get there someday.

So you just started eating local rice 2 months ago and you now think you're an expert on there matter?

Yes. There is high quality Nigerian rice. No one doubts that but is it in appreciable quantity? You keep talking about rice mills by Lagos and Ogun which have actually been practically abandoned by the succeeding administrations as the fulcrum of the border closure policy. But it's not so. Govt said local rice is available and affordable not WILL BE. RIPAN said same. Besides a futuristic policy is unheard of. Policies are supposed to take care of the present. It's plans that take care of the future.
It's just like saying govt should ban import of petrol since dangote is building a refinery. Dull point indeed!!
P.S. The way you keep jumping right and left on ur points is nauseating and infantile. First, you said border closure triggered rice mills by Lagos and Ogun. Then you later agree that it's not the case. Whereas the only thing you got right about ban of noodles/spaghetti which is a rather moot point you can't let go of. You're really lowering the bar of this discourse
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by loswhite(m): 10:06am On Nov 18, 2019
Area4Area:
Must you go for foreign rice and waste our scarce forex? If you can't go local then pay 30k for foreign.
Tell me what you personally do that brings us forex we can waste and subsidize your foreign rice
what is subsidy? Do you subsidize rice? Maybe you should tell that to cabal that gains from the inactivity of the four refineries...Afterall the last I checked the billions of Forex spent on fuel importation is nothing compared to rice...I do not expect zombies to understand. Is it only rice that passes through the border? Note while we pay 30k for foreign rice you too will pay 21000 for local rice same rice that ppl where buying for less than 10k in 2015...
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Nobody: 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2019
Solamilove:
Local rice is available but just that it's production is another thing. Before you cook it, you have to pick all the stones and chaff as if it's beans that will take you like 2 hours plus. When eating also one will be vigilant. So if you want to cook it on Monday, start its planning on Friday. Overall, eating local rice will train Nigerians to be diligent, goal oriented, strategic planning, and caution. At least for once, all those likes on our skills we put on CV can find its pathetic to become the truth.
Shuffering and Shmilling.. shocked shocked
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2019
Virus99:
Pls who can supply us rice to Ilorin?
We are in dire need embarassed
Rice dey Kwara na undecided
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 6:43pm On Nov 18, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

You just played yourself ojogbon. Sugar is not banned in the second list, an import tariff is not a ban. I expect you to know the difference. Stop yapping about age. It seems you're a teen-ager after all dats why you can't get over it. It's ok. You'll get there someday.

So you just started eating local rice 2 months ago and you now think you're an expert on there matter?

Yes. There is high quality Nigerian rice. No one doubts that but is it in appreciable quantity? You keep talking about rice mills by Lagos and Ogun which have actually been practically abandoned by the succeeding administrations as the fulcrum of the border closure policy. But it's not so. Govt said local rice is available and affordable not WILL BE. RIPAN said same. Besides a futuristic policy is unheard of. Policies are supposed to take care of the present. It's plans that take care of the future.
It's just like saying govt should ban import of petrol since dangote is building a refinery. Dull point indeed!!
P.S. The way you keep jumping right and left on ur points is nauseating and infantile. First, you said border closure triggered rice mills by Lagos and Ogun. Then you later agree that it's not the case. Whereas the only thing you got right about ban of noodles/spaghetti which is a rather moot point you can't let go of. You're really lowering the bar of this discourse

@the bold.

Any other person would’ve know it was an error rather than a false claim of absolute conviction like yours on the pasta and sugar issues.

Any other person would have known that a border closed less than two months ago couldn’t have brought about rice mills that are almost completed but not you. it is your short victory.

Don’t let me rain on your parade of short victory but let me remind you that the topic is about protectionism and that 50% 100% tariff in any economy is protectionism. Reason why it is listed amongst banned products. A 100% tariff is as good as a ban except you want to there’s another motive behind 100% tariff beyond protection of local industry.

Again, from the beginning your argument against protectionism has been flawed with the success of local manufacturing in the sugar, pasta cement and other industries on the list I gave to you. You’re just grasping at straws. Plenty talk with plenty nonsense.

Good day.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2019
Debaiz:

@the bold.

Any other person would’ve know it was an error rather than a false claim of absolute conviction like yours on the pasta and sugar issues.

Any other person would have known that a border closed less than two months ago couldn’t have brought about rice mills that are almost completed but not you. it is your short victory.

Don’t let me rain on your parade of short victory but let me remind you that the topic is about protectionism and that 50% 100% tariff in any economy is protectionism. Reason why it is listed amongst banned products. A 100% tariff is as good as a ban except you want to there’s another motive behind 100% tariff beyond protection of local industry.

Again, from the beginning your argument against protectionism has been flawed with the success of local manufacturing in the sugar, pasta cement and other industries on the list I gave to you. You’re just grasping at straws. Plenty talk with plenty nonsense.

Good day.

It seems like you're just being willfully blind or you have issues with comprehending.
Let me break it down for you why I said dis scenario of land border does not fit into protectionism
1. Note that rice importation is not banned in Nigeria. Border closure is not a ban on rice importation. Most of the rice eaten by average Nigerians is the Thai parboiled rice which are imported through Benin borders for cheaper customs duty and some smuggled through land borders to escape paying Nigeria's customs duty on rice.
2. Consider that most of our elite consume uncle Ben's, basmati and other high variety rice which are still readily available in supermarkets since most of them come through the sea and air and have their duty fully paid.
With 1&2, it means that the govt does not want the average Nigerians eating imported rice while the elites can eat it if we are to apply the theory of protectionism especially since customs have been moving to open markets to impound foreign rice as well. I'm sure you'll agree that this fits more into class separation not protectionism if you can understand the difference between the two.
3. Note that foreign rice has always been more expensive than local rice with the exception of ofada rice. With this office difference, ordinarily, people should tilt towards local rice. The problem however is quality. Stoning, polishing and even shelf life makes local rice undesirable most people and they then decide to go for foreign rice since it's within the limits of their pockets.
4. Finally, it is common knowledge that this govt is having a revenue issue which is the real reason for the border closure since customs identified smuggling as a reason why they can't meet targets. In other words, your protectionism theory is not a conscious govt effort, it's an offshoot at gov's revenue drive.
5. Finally, as this thread has shown, local rice production has not increased despite the demand and the fact that we are now three months into the border closure and the planting season of our local rice. This is because farming is still at subsistence level and of course, if this continues till January when it's off season, there's definitely going to be a scarcity.

P.S: Regarding your point about import tariff being a success on sugar, look at that second list, you'll see rice has always had a higher import tariff than sugar. You can now explain why it's not had a "success" as sugar as you put it albeit ignorantly.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Norhim(m): 9:51pm On Nov 21, 2019
Debaiz:

You mean dufil(indomie), flour mill, and dangote aren’t making noodles and spaghetti in Nigeria?

You’re so ignorant and I’m trying hard not to switch to insulting you.

We’re talking about growth of industry, you’re talking about cheap. They’re two different things entirely.
I AGREE WITH YOU....Maybe is one of the smuggler that pass through the broder...just come here and talking nonsense..

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by sapoyoro(m): 10:48am On Nov 22, 2019
Debaiz:

The guy is a typical Nigerian wailer. So ignorant I’m tempted to call it illiteracy. He claimed to be in his late thirties but didn’t know nigeria banned pasta and sugar. I showed him, he’s still telling me sugar is not on the list that I should show him.
typical Nigerian...always personal insults and abuses..
nawao...
pass ur message and move on...u even once threaten to abuse him..how old are u sef
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by sapoyoro(m): 10:50am On Nov 22, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

It seems like you're just being willfully blind or you have issues with comprehending.
Let me break it down for you why I said dis scenario of land border does not fit into protectionism
1. Note that rice importation is not banned in Nigeria. Border closure is not a ban on rice importation. Most of the rice eaten by average Nigerians is the Thai parboiled rice which are imported through Benin borders for cheaper customs duty and some smuggled through land borders to escape paying Nigeria's customs duty on rice.
2. Consider that most of our elite consume uncle Ben's, basmati and other high variety rice which are still readily available in supermarkets since most of them come through the sea and air and have their duty fully paid.
With 1&2, it means that the govt does not want the average Nigerians eating imported rice while the elites can eat it if we are to apply the theory of protectionism especially since customs have been moving to open markets to impound foreign rice as well. I'm sure you'll agree that this fits more into class separation not protectionism if you can understand the difference between the two.
3. Note that foreign rice has always been more expensive than local rice with the exception of ofada rice. With this office difference, ordinarily, people should tilt towards local rice. The problem however is quality. Stoning, polishing and even shelf life makes local rice undesirable most people and they then decide to go for foreign rice since it's within the limits of their pockets.
4. Finally, it is common knowledge that this govt is having a revenue issue which is the real reason for the border closure since customs identified smuggling as a reason why they can't meet targets. In other words, your protectionism theory is not a conscious govt effort, it's an offshoot at gov's revenue drive.
5. Finally, as this thread has shown, local rice production has not increased despite the demand and the fact that we are now three months into the border closure and the planting season of our local rice. This is because farming is still at subsistence level and of course, if this continues till January when it's off season, there's definitely going to be a scarcity.

P.S: Regarding your point about import tariff being a success on sugar, look at that second list, you'll see rice has always had a higher import tariff than sugar. You can now explain why it's not had a "success" as sugar as you put it albeit ignorantly.
kudos...never see u drag him with any sort of insults..
u have a thick skin ooo
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Solamilove: 9:40pm On Nov 29, 2019
tolux247:
Na Cup or Derica you dey buy for house ?

Na bag of rice make I dey cook? No be the one wey I want cook I go pick?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ojukwu Would Have Ruled Nigeria —Gowon / 18 APC Governors To Receive Matawalle As He Dumps PDP / Abdumumuni Jubril Must Go – Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.