Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,418 members, 7,881,534 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:52 PM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22302 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Please open another thread for that and we can discuss, don't derail this after all I wasn't forcing anyone just advising. Let's continue with the border closure

We don't need to open another thread. This thread can accommodate every view point. Did u open another thread b4 u started giving advise about "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lukui: 4:35pm On Nov 17, 2019
hmm to eat rice is not by force

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 4:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

We don't need to open another thread. This thread can accommodate every view point. Did u open another thread b4 u started giving advise about "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"?
If you have nothing to say about the merits or demerits of the border closure, please swerve.
Open another thread for that and stop trying to derail this.

Face topic and stop derailing
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 4:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
bongo4real:
We are currently eating local rice (Sunrise) in the house though expensive for 10k half bag but we have to patronize our own.

Let support and encourag our rice, hope government officials do so too

The government will pay your hospital bills when you have appendix abi....
By the time the border is open most nigerians would have diverted thier diet to other food to conpliment rice... Then rice farmers begin to sell thier rice farms and they start exporting thier rice to other african countries who would reject it...

We take babaric laws and accept it like the foolish government. over here as a student i cant offord the rice and it keep increasing
What stop the government to give warnings before the closure or setting all necessary tools around every state before the closure so Nigerians wont feel it when the border's are closed ...
Instead he closed it barbarically to favour his kindsmen up north... This already tells after a while probably after December maybe feb the borders will be opened because it was all planed to be
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Aderr: 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
You can go and confirm yourself, you expect me to rush down and start snapping?
You buy local rice and you're still asking me to go snap pictures, I guess you usually travel to Mars to buy it.
The high price is because of demand and supply factor and with time, it would stabilize and start dropping.
Most of them are very stupid. He buys local rice and he still wants someone to show him proof that local rice dominates the market. The thing about Africans is that they would rather eat poison from abroad than embrace their own stuff. It's why Africa is a joke.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2019
gregyboy:

The government will pay your hospital bills when you have appendix abi....
By the time the border is open most nigerians would have diverted thier diet to other food to conpliment rice... Then rice farmers begin to sell thier rice farms and they start exporting thier rice to other african countries who would reject it...

We take babaric laws and accept it like the foolish government. over here as a student i cant offord the rice and it keep increasing
What stop the government to give warnings before the closure or setting all necessary tools around every state before the closure so Nigerians wont feel it when the border's are closed ...
Instead he closed it barbarically to favour his kindsmen up north... This already tells after a while probably after December maybe feb the borders will be opened because it was all planed to be
The border had been shut during OBJ's time because of this same smuggling but reopened after begging and promise to repent from same countries, Nigeria had warned them on several occasions and all they do is promise, suspend operation and after 1-2 weeks resume operations with the smugglers.
I guess Coscharis, Josan and Anambra rice are owned by northerners

3 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 5:00pm On Nov 17, 2019
Aderr:
Most of them are very stupid. He buys local rice and he still wants someone to show him proof that local rice dominates the market. The thing about Africans is that they would rather eat poison from abroad than embrace their own stuff. It's why Africa is a joke.
The thing tire me, some don't mind importing air to breathe because they believe foreign is always best even if from Cambodia, Guinea Bissau, Gambia etc.

A she for that matter

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by plaindealer: 5:10pm On Nov 17, 2019
The reason why things don't work in Nigeria including government policies are Nigerians and their unpatriotic, selfish, greedy and shortsighted attitudes. Nigerians are saboteurs.

It is not by force or so or die to eat foreign rice

Before blaming the government for anything, first question your own actions as Nigerians.

Nigerians are hypocrites and contradictory elements. You want to leave in a country where everything works with cheap food to eat, but you can not lift your finger to help and do your part.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 5:16pm On Nov 17, 2019
plaindealer:
The reason why things don't work in Nigeria including government policies are Nigerians and their unpatriotic, selfish, greedy and shortsighted attitudes. Nigerians are saboteurs.

Before blaming the government for anything, first question your own actions as Nigerians.

Nigerians are hypocrites and contradictory elements. You want to leave in a country where everything works with cheap food to eat, but you can not lift your finger to help and do your part.

Don't mind those unpatriotic people who can import air to breathe and water to flush their toilets, ask them how much they contribute to our forex and they start staring at you like morons.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by webngnews: 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 5:36pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
If you have nothing to say about the merits or demerits of the border closure, please swerve.
Open another thread for that and stop trying to derail this.

Face topic and stop derailing

U wan run? Dont run. Did u open another thread b4 u started advising? Is d thread about "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"? If it is, y are having difficulties answered d question? tell me how urself have taken advantage of ur advise of "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"? Do u have anything to show 4 that? Obviously u even more guilty of derailing d thread

What exactly is d thread about? Why was d border closed? Can u pls share?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 5:41pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Don't mind those unpatriotic people who can import air to breathe and water to flush their toilets, ask them how much they contribute to our forex and they start staring at you like morons.

Good u mentioned forex. What did buhari spend in London? Is it forex or naira? What did buharis cousin spend in d UK for his birthday? Is it forex or naira? By d way, how much have u contributed to Nigerias forex?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
bellooyin:
I can supply you, 16k for 50kg,Free delivery within ilorin

What about to benin
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:47pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

You mean dufil(indomie), flour mill, and dangote aren’t making noodles and spaghetti in Nigeria?

You’re so ignorant and I’m trying hard not to switch to insulting you.

We’re talking about growth of industry, you’re talking about cheap. They’re two different things entirely.
No. You're the one who is ignorant. Show me imported noodles and spaghetti that was banned before they started producing in Nigeria. You should ask urself why dufil, dangote and flour mill started producing in Nigeria without any prodding from anybody and why we have to ban foreign rice before you can get local rice on a large scale according to your analysis.
That's where the cure from ur ignorance will start
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

Good u mentioned forex. What did buhari spend in London? Is it forex or naira? What did buharis cousin spend in d UK for his birthday? Is it forex or naira? By d way, how much have u contributed to Nigerias forex?
grin grin grin
Guy you wickedest o
How you wan make him answer all dis jamb question na
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 5:49pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
The border had been shut during OBJ's time because of this same smuggling but reopened after begging and promise to repent from same countries, Nigeria had warned them on several occasions and all they do is promise, suspend operation and after 1-2 weeks resume operations with the smugglers.
I guess Coscharis, Josan and Anambra rice are owned by northerners

And it sells for 25k above
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by GiftCandy: 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2019
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 5:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

U wan run? Dont run. Did u open another thread b4 u started advising? Is d thread about "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"? If it is, y are having difficulties answered d question? tell me how urself have taken advantage of ur advise of "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians"? Do u have anything to show 4 that? Obviously u even more guilty of derailing d thread.

What exactly is d thread about? Why was d border closed? Can u pls share?
You started the derailing, everyone was talking about border closure and its effects before you brought in the travel wahala, I tried pulling you back to topic by telling you to go into farming because of the border closure, you started asking about my achievement which I told you to open another thread for so myself and other Nigerians can give their testimonies.
Stop derailing abeg, you demanded something else on another thread instead of opening another thread for such.

I've given you reasons why the border was shut, scroll up to read it up
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
plaindealer:

APC is now shifting blame to Nigerians. I hope you're Chinese if not four fingers are pointing at you. You want to silence us but you have failed. What actions have you taken to make Nigeria better as an individual? Or you think nations grow by asslicking politicians?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 6:01pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

I know he's the president and can travel with members of his family just like past heads of state and that's why I didn't complain unlike you who started complaining.
OBJ, late Yar'Adua, GEJ all traveled with their families and friends on our forex and you said nothing, why bringing this as a topic?
Stop derailing abeg and face topic
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 6:07pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

No. You're the one who is ignorant. Show me imported noodles and spaghetti that was banned before they started producing in Nigeria. You should ask urself why dufil, dangote and flour mill started producing in Nigeria without any prodding from anybody and why we have to ban foreign rice before you can get local rice on a large scale according to your analysis.
There was no time those noodles and spags were smuggled into Nigeria, they were imported and all tariffs paid which made them more expensive and encouraged dufil, dangote etc to come in.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 6:10pm On Nov 17, 2019
gregyboy:

And it sells for 25k above
Let foreign go for 50k for 50kg, if you can't afford it then go for local, if you don't like local, go for other things.
Not eating rice in a week cannot fit kill local man.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by princetom1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 17, 2019
concho:
I can supply u at 14k. Destoned and polished
Am in lagos... 07086065571 whatsapp too
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:18pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
There was no time those noodles and spags were smuggled into Nigeria, they were imported and all tariffs paid which made them more expensive and encouraged dufil, dangote etc to come in.
That's not true. Noodles and spaghetti were never expensive in Nigeria. I remember 2minutes noodles then. It was cheap. The reason dufil which is not even Nigerian and owns the largest share of the market came to Nigeria is the ready market and easy access to raw materials.
That's what I'm saying though. You can encourage local production without closing borders. The tariff factor is one such example. Another is the farmers. If Nigeria can grow rice in sufficient quantity all year round, major rice mills will be encouraged to move down here. Nigeria's local rice farming is majorly at subsistence level. That's what govt needs to do. Set a target for local production and meet it. Not all dis audio rice
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Hussein01(m): 6:19pm On Nov 17, 2019
Government should regulate the price,that is if the motives behind border closure is to protect local rice and to ensure the well-being of Nigerian.

how could the rice produce locally be sold at almost the same price of the foreign rice.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 6:28pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

That's not true. Noodles and spaghetti were never expensive in Nigeria. I remember 2minutes noodles then. It was cheap. The reason dufil which is not even Nigerian and owns the largest share of the market came to Nigeria is the ready market and easy access to raw materials.
That's what I'm saying though. You can encourage local production without closing borders. The tariff factor is one such example. Another is the farmers. If Nigeria can grow rice in sufficient quantity all year round, major rice mills will be encouraged to move down here. Nigeria's local rice farming is majorly at subsistence level. That's what govt needs to do. Set a target for local production and meet it. Not all dis audio rice
You can increase local production by closing the border especially after several warnings of going against the layed down rules on smuggling and the FG increased tariffs, why didn't the importers import through Nigeria?
Of course they wanted the cheaper tariffs Benin offered so that they can smuggle their goods in.

Noodles and spags were duly imported through our ports and appropriate tariffs charged which made other companies to come into the business and started production
We just started, this is November and it started in late August, it's not magic, we need time
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Debaiz: 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Wait are you saying importation of cement, noodles and spaghetti was not banned? I’m forced to ask how old are you?

Nobody produces in an import dependent country. Even dangote was protected by the military for importing sugar before he he started producing. There’s no way any industry can survive without protection from the govt. obj had to ban importation of SA made recharge cards to promote local production.

Dufil didn’t start producing in nigeria. They started with importation. Get your facts right and stop promoting your ignorance.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 6:32pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

Wait are you saying importation of cement, noodles and spaghetti was not banned? I’m forced to ask how old are you?

Nobody produces in an import dependent country. Even dangote was protected by the military for importing sugar before he he started producing. There’s no way any industry can survive without protection from the govt. obj had to ban importation of SA made recharge cards to promote local production.

Dufil didn’t start producing in nigeria. They started with importation. Get your facts right and stop promoting your ignorance.
Bless you Bro
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Virus99: 6:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
concho:
can give u stone free and polished for 14k
Pls where u base?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:37pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
You can increase local production by closing the border especially after several warnings of going against the layed down rules on smuggling and the FG increased tariffs, why didn't the importers import through Nigeria?
Of course they wanted the cheaper tariffs Benin offered so that they can smuggle their goods in.

Noodles and spats were duly imported through our ports and appropriate tariffs charged which made other companies to come into the business and started production
We just started, this is November and it started in late August, it's not magic
Ok. Now tell me if local production has improved since the border closure. The evidence says otherwise.
Know that rice is not the only goods imported through the Benin port. It's because the Nigerian ports are inefficient that goods have to go through Benin. That said, rice is smuggled through our borders because our customs is compromised. Note that imported rice has NEVER been cheaper than local rice. It's the quality and the quantity that made it desirable than local rice.

Again, noodles were never produced locally before dufil came you have also said. So all these talk of tariff and border closure to encourage local production of noodles does not arise
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

That of cement is well known. Kindly show when importation of noodles and spaghetti was banned.
Even importation of sugar was never banned. If you have info abt that pls share
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by gregyboy(m): 6:40pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Let foreign go for 50k for 50kg, if you can't afford it then go for local, if you don't like local, go for other things.
Not eating rice in a week cannot fit kill local man.

We dont need you kind in politcs you are just a pure dictator

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Government Orders Traders, Drivers Out Of Marina / Edo: Anderson Asemota declared Governorship Candidate in LP's Parallel Primary / Vote Out Jonathan, He Is Self-Centred – Timipre Sylva

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.