Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,418 members, 7,881,533 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:48 PM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22301 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Baselm: 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

China has successfully practiced protectionism to become the world economic powerhouse, America is now doing same with the trade wars, Europe is always placing bans on food exports from Africa. Since the border was closed, most of us still eat what we normally eat, complaining is just a Nigerian thing.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

First, what is d r/ship with what u said and d comment below?

Second, if u insist on getting into a convo with me, u can begin by addressing d issues I raised in my comment.

Third, have u "taken advantage of d opportunity buhari provided by going into rice, fish or poultry production or trading urself"?
You came in from the angle that his travels isn't helping the economy, fact, I was trying to tell you to forget his travels and focus on how you can take up the opportunity he has offered Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 1:18pm On Nov 17, 2019
Baselm:

China has successfully practiced protectionism to become the world economic powerhouse, America is now doing same with the trade wars, Europe is always placing bans on food exports from Africa. Since the border was closed, most of us still eat what we normally eat, complaining is just a Nigerian thing.

Look at my next post on this thread and learn please ..stop peddling falsehood

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by ZooOga: 1:29pm On Nov 17, 2019
www.abadini.com

At Abadini, we pride ourselves on excellence and distinction. We don't just promise, we deliver. We don't just offer, we serve.

MISSION
Our mission is to produce farm products that are natural, healthy and free from chemical preservatives. We also aim to provide investment opportunities in agriculture - positively impacting our world one seed at a time.

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
netpro:
Next year more farmers and investors will like jump into Rice farming.
The border will be opened in January. Exercise in futility
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by ZooOga: 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2019
Nigerian Rice makes entrance in Spar hypermarket as rice imports from Thailand to Benin/Togo is getting reduced below a combined 2 million in 2019. Stallions from Kano, Red Bull from Kebbi, Mama Pride and Mama Choice from Nasarawa are some of the stone-free rice there.

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
The author made it seem as if no local rice and I never said there's surplus local rice in Anambra, I only said that local rice isn't as scarce and uncommon as he was trying to paint it at least in Anambra. Only time before demand and supply meet, let's all be patient
Patient till January then back to square one
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
You came in from the angle that his travels isn't helping the economy, fact, I was trying to tell you to forget his travels and focus on how you can take up the opportunity he has offered Nigerians

And am saying if u want to get into a conversation with me, first& foremost answer d following:
lexy2014:

If importing things like rice will hurt economy, how is buharis constant "private visits" and medical trips to d UK helping d economy? How come his 80year old had his b'day in d UK instead of Nigeria? How come buhari & his family have a complete disdain 4 Nigeria & u think they are doing Nigerians a favour by blocking d access Nigerians have to alternatives?

Secondly, pls try& explain how ur comment about taking up d opportunity buhari has offered Nigerians relates with my comment about how buharis travels aren't helping d economy.

Thirdly, kindly let me no how u urself have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians".
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 17, 2019

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:41pm On Nov 17, 2019
Baselm:

Y is Europe placing ban on exports from Africa? Did Europe& d US close its borders because of trade wars?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by ZooOga: 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2019
Nigerian Business Mogul Cosmas Maduka Launches $35 Million Rice Mill In Anambra State

via @forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2019/10/09/nigerian-business-mogul-cosmas-maduka-launches-35-million-rice-mill-in-anambra-state/#362465875c38

Nigerian Business Mogul Cosmas Maduka Launches $35 Million Rice Mill In Anambra State

Mfonobong NseheContributor
Billionaires
I chronicle Africa's success stories and track its richest people

Nigerian business mogul Cosmas Maduka, one of Nigeria’s most successful businessmen, has built a rice processing mill in Anambra, a state in Nigeria’s southeastern region, at a reported cost of $35 million.

According to a report by ThisDay, the rice mill which was constructed by Coscharis Farms, a subsidiary of the Cosharis Group which Maduka controls, was officially launched last Tuesday at a ceremony in Anambra attended by Nigeria’s Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele and various Nigerian state governors.

The first phase of the rice mill which has a milling capacity of 40,000 MT per annum was launched on Tuesday, but the entire project is expected to have an annual milling capacity of 120,000 MT when completed by the end of 2020 according to a press statement by Maduka.

Today In: Billionaires

Coscharis Farms Limited, a subsidiary of Coscharis Group, is an integrated rice processor that started operations in 2014 to meet part of the estimated 5.9 million MT annual rice demand in Nigeria. Coscharis Farms currently has close to 3,000 hectares of land for rice cultivation in Anambra and an irrigation system on its farm to enable multi‐cycle rice cultivation. Coscharis Farms has a robust farmer out‐grower development programme within Anambra State, and its environs that aims to reach thousands of farmers that could provide rice paddy to its mill when completed.

“We want to process paddy harvested from our farm into best quality rice. We want to contribute significantly to the government’s efforts to ensure food sufficiency through local production of rice. In addition, we want to set the pace for production of best quality local rice that will cause our people to change their preference from imported rice to locally milled rice which is known to be rich with important nutrients,” Maduka said at the launch of the rice mill.

PROMOTED

Nigerians consume more than 5 million metric tons of rice every year, with a significant portion of its consumption needs sourced from imports.

Cosmas Maduka, 60, is the founder of Coscharis Group, one of Nigeria’s largest privately-owned conglomerates with businesses and interests that span across various sectors of the Nigerian economy: car dealerships, foods & beverages, engineering and agriculture.

Mfonobong Nsehe
I previously worked as a reporter for Business Daily, Kenya's largest business newspaper. Now I travel across Africa, helping FORBES track the richest people on the cont... Read More

A Rice mill . Photocredit: Getty

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
princetom1:

Are u alright? 14 to 15k in ur room, right?

Bro, it's most likely that you live in a major city in Nigeria hence your outburst. Major and minor rice producing states are currently selling unrefined rice 11-12 k, while milling factories refine, and sell it 14-15k.

Make your findings.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

It helped Nigeria’s cement, noodles and pasta industries. Get your facts correct.
Noodles and pasta are not Nigerian product so I don't know how protectionism helps them.
As for cement, dangote cement is not cheap. That's why affordable housing is still a mirage in Nigeria. So how has protectionism helped there except enriching the man?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2019
yaki84:

In america 3% of the population feeds the entire country, what u dont understand is if every nigerian goes into agric business what benin n niger is experiencing now with the border closure wilk definitely be our issue too. In economics its called deflation. Much supply, less demand.
Where will u export it to?
So always think before u write.

Now invert it;
What's the present population of Nigerians in commercial farming, what's their yearly output in relation to Nigeria's population, how advanced is Nigeria's farming technique compared to America? Why does America still import food produce? What value does Nigeria add to her agro products?

Nigeria may take a while to get to acheive food security talk less of deflation.

I believe you should have discern that when I said youths should go into agriculture, its very likely that many might not yield the call, but the few that yield can make a difference as regards to our food security and production output.

So, research and think before you write.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by yommen: 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2019
johnmattew:
go to the market and make research yourself b4 believing bloggers with their investigation full of lies......I wanted to buy caprice last week in Lagos,I searched the whole area but couldn't find any foreign rice,except local rice....I had to buy the local rice....I haven't regretted my purchase ever since.local rice is sweeter and perfect for rice and stew and jollof

There also no shortage of rice in Ikorodu where I live too. I have bought local rice twice. The first one I bought half derica , but I didn't enjoy due to taste. May be it requires a better way to cook. The second one I saw, it looked better so I bought half paint. It was so good I regretted I didn't just buy much. I plan to buy in good quantity when next I visit the market. Thank God the Aboki is always there. Why someone is carrying fake news, I don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2019
Virus99:
Pls who can supply us rice to Ilorin?
We are in dire need embarassed
local rice right ?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by capitalzero: 2:11pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality
very correct
protectionism is an outdated economy theory not compatible with modern world.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 2:13pm On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=krasican post=84106024]

How much? Can I get them in onitsha[/quote ] I can supply you at 14k ......destoned and polished
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:13pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Lies, the local rice cooked in my house is parboiled, washed off and continue cooking as your foreign rice, nothing different.

If you even get to the markets and see the different brands of local rice and you decide to go for the stoned unmilled brand, the sellers would ask you if you know how to destone it.
That brand is usually for owners of canteens, bukas etc that have mastered the art and not for everyone. You don't go picking anything.

Wash to remove the husk and starchy dust, parboil, decant water and add cool water, shake your pot or container and you can even hear the sound of the stones at the bottom, scoop your rice and repeat for 2 or 3 times and your stone free rice is ready.

Most of you don't even know that you've been eating local rice even before the border closure especially if you visit those bukas and canteens regularly, you think the owners will go for foreign rice for 25k when he/she can get local for almost half the price and make more profit
grin grin werey leleyi o. Washing rice, listening to stone, husk, starchy dust. Oh the life of a zombie.
So you think Buhari family self dey do all dat ur distilling before they chop rice ba? grin grin
Suffer head somebody oniranu. You're gradually returning to the eighties when rice was only eaten at Xmas. Buhari is working indeed wink wink

BTW stop saying ppl are telling lies when you're not there with them to confirm. It looks poor on you in terms of manners of public decorum.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 2:14pm On Nov 17, 2019
princetom1:

Are u alright? 14 to 15k in ur room, right?
I can supply u at 14k. Destoned and polished
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by concho(m): 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
nerciifmt:

I tell you local rice is just punishment, spent two days sorting and picking the rice.
I have stone free and polished for 14k
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by yaki84: 2:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kerfuffle:

Now invert it;
What's the present population of Nigerians in commercial farming, what's their yearly out in relation to Nigeria's population, how advanced is Nigeria's technique compared to America? Why does America still import food produce? What value does Nigeria add to her agro products?

Nigeria may take a while to get to acheive food security talk less of deflation.

I believe you should have discern that when I said youths should go into agriculture, its very likely that many might not yield, but the few that yields can still make a difference as regards to our food security.

So, research and think before you write.
D last time i checked Nigeria has more than 80% of its citizens that is into agro.
Abi u think rice is the only agro products farmed in Nigeria?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:18pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

The border will be opened in January. Exercise in futility
The borders are not opening in January, the customs said it was only extending its current phase of operation to January 31st and not stopping it.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 2:19pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

Have u gone into agriculture, precisely rice farming?

Not into Agriculture at the moment, but making plans towards it.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by krasican(m): 2:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=concho post=84110596][/quote]

Can I get ur contact
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by FakeManna: 2:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
[s]
helinues:

Faraiheed stop lying . All these pictures you are using are not yours. I thought you said you are gone for good from Nairaland?

NL billionares
[/s]
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2019
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 2:23pm On Nov 17, 2019
Kerfuffle:

Not into Agriculture at the moment, but making plans towards it.

Then implement ur plans first &come back with ur testimony b4 u start telling people what they should do or shouldn't do.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

And am saying if u want to get into a conversation with me, first& foremost answer d following:

Secondly, pls try& explain how ur comment about taking up d opportunity buhari has offered Nigerians relates with my comment about how buharis travels aren't helping d economy.

Thirdly, kindly let me no how u urself have taken advantage of & "taken up d opportunity that buhari has offered Nigerians".
Topic is talking about border closure and you're here trying to derail about the President's travels, why not open another thread for that?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Kerfuffle: 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2019
yaki84:

D last time i checked Nigeria has more than 80% of its citizens that is into agro.
Abi u think rice is the only agro products farmed in Nigeria?

About 80% are into Agriculture, but you ignored my other questions; how many are into commercial agriculture and what's the total input of the present farmers. Now, the agro-allied subsector also needs innovation and more hands, and when I say 'agriculture', it encompasses the agro-allied sector too.

Who said anything about rice being the only agro products? Read my post again.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 2:27pm On Nov 17, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

grin grin werey leleyi o. Washing rice, listening to stone, husk, starchy dust. Oh the life of a zombie.
So you think Buhari family self dey do all dat ur distilling before they chop rice ba? grin grin
Suffer head somebody oniranu. You're gradually returning to the eighties when rice was only eaten at Xmas. Buhari is working indeed wink wink

BTW stop saying ppl are telling lies when you're not there with them to confirm. It looks poor on you in terms of manners of public decorum.
One smuggler spotted, borders remain shut.

https://www.businessamlive.com/jan-31-not-terminal-date-for-border-closure-customs/

So no hope for you for now, take heart

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dangote, Dantata, Abdussamad, Others Get New Appointments In Kano State / Omo-Agege Appoints Orubebe As Campaign DG For Delta 2023 / Four-yr-old Twins Suffocate To Death Inside Car In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.