Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,410 members, 7,881,503 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:40 PM

Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations (22297 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ex-Rivers Commissioner As DG Of Border Agency / Higher Revenue, Reduced Fuel Usage, Rice Production Are Gains Of Border Closure / Buhari Appoints Junaid Abdullahi, His Son-In-Law As Head Of Border Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 11:59am On Nov 17, 2019
Lifestone:

Your context is faulty if you put in view how China became a giant. It's even worse that the competition is by smugglers ! No sane country in the world will allow such thing.
For the OP, he should know that it will take a while for the factors of production to be reallocated to this new opportunities, that's elementary economics, we need to wait for another one year to begin to see the results of this great policy ( the best since PMB became President). I am aware that Stallion, Olam, Honeywell, Coscharis are gradually getting to the market.
If we continue to import things like rice for which Nigeria has ability to produce, where will the jobs for the youths come from?

Go and read how China became a giant ,contrary to the wrong notion that China became great as a result protectionism , China actually became great when Bill Clinton made great effort to integrate them into the world economy because the Americans needed to access the Huge Chinese market before any other nation did . Please I have dropped a couple of links for you to learn

https://slate.com/business/2016/09/when-china-joined-the-wto-it-kick-started-the-chinese-economy-and-roused-a-giant.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-the-world-opened-the-gates-of-china-1532701482
https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/how-bill-clinton-and-american-financiers
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2019
blowjohn:

See this one posting slim rice.
U go slim tire na

I have always been slim and fit like a male model the only difference be say I get Bar

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by blowjohn(m): 12:06pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

I have always been slim and fit like a male model the only difference be say I get Bar

OK u get mouth.
I leave u to ur rice
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Okoroawusa: 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2019
tolux247:
Na Cup or Derica you dey buy for house ?

hahahahaha!...1 derica for Iya Risi shop
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by bongo4real(m): 12:12pm On Nov 17, 2019
We are currently eating local rice (Sunrise) in the house though expensive for 10k half bag but we have to patronize our own.

Let support and encourag our rice, hope government officials do so too

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by wink2015(m): 12:13pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

You have said it all.

Buhari is promoting Autarchy in Nigeria.

No nation can aspire to food self sufficiency just on its own terms.

Nigeria needs to work with international best practices to attain standard in food production.

The United states, Britain the rest of the Eu including China still import most of their food.

The aspiration to attain food self sufficiency is something that should go in progression and this should not result in automatic border closure.

The border closure is not sustainable as Nigeria have no choice than to open it.

If care is not taken it will cause Apc so much political losses as Nigeria drives toward 2023.

President Buhari is repeating Obasanjo mistake who said Nigeria should eat cassava bread that is made from cassava flour as against European imported wheat flour.

MANY NIGERIA POLITICIANS FORCING THE MASSES TO EAT NIGERIA STONE FILLED RICE IMPORT AMERICA UNCLE BENS RICE UNDER DIPLOMATIC COVER USING THEIR FRIENDS AT THE EMBASSIES AND CONSULATE

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by kokoA(m): 12:18pm On Nov 17, 2019
This story is not completely true. I don't support many policies of this government but I think Baba got it right with the rice. Here in Abuja our local rice is everywhere. Most stores no longer sell foreign rice.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:21pm On Nov 17, 2019
Solamilove:
Local rice is available but just that it's production is another thing. Before you cook it, you have to pick all the stones and chaff as if it's beans that will take you like 2 hours plus. When eating also one will be vigilant. So if you want to cook it on Monday, start its planning on Friday. Overall, eating local rice will train Nigerians to be diligent, goal oriented, strategic planning, and caution. At least for once, all those likes on our skills we put on CV can find its pathetic to become the truth.
Lies, the local rice cooked in my house is parboiled, washed off and continue cooking as your foreign rice, nothing different.

If you even get to the markets and see the different brands of local rice and you decide to go for the stoned unmilled brand, the sellers would ask you if you know how to destone it.
That brand is usually for owners of canteens, bukas etc that have mastered the art and not for everyone. You don't go picking anything.

Wash to remove the husk and starchy dust, parboil, decant water and add cool water, shake your pot or container and you can even hear the sound of the stones at the bottom, scoop your rice and repeat for 2 or 3 times and your stone free rice is ready.

Most of you don't even know that you've been eating local rice even before the border closure especially if you visit those bukas and canteens regularly, you think the owners will go for foreign rice for 25k when he/she can get local for almost half the price and make more profit

7 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by SalamRushdie: 12:23pm On Nov 17, 2019
blowjohn:

OK u get mouth.
I leave u to ur rice

I get mouth and Bar sir

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by MrExcel(m): 12:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=tayebest post=84103768]rretard investigation angry

Let them come kaduna to see how local rice full everywhere. The processing is now excellent with no stone.
WHICH OF THE KADUNA ARE YOU REFERRING TO, THE ONE IN NIGER REPUBLIC ? COs d one in Nigeria, where I am based has no sufficient local rice. Everything is a scam.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
krasican:

How much? Can I get them in onitsha
Between 15-18k depending on brand, Ose and Nkpor markets are good places you can get them.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:26pm On Nov 17, 2019
Debaiz:

It helped Nigeria’s cement, noodles and pasta industries. Get your facts correct.
Even fruit drinks
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by helinues: 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Keep crying me I have access to all the foreign and Nigerian rice I want .. Na Buharist hunger go kill ..

Faraiheed stop lying . All these pictures you are using are not yours. I thought you said you are gone for good from Nairaland?

NL billionares

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by loswhite(m): 12:29pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Lies, the local rice cooked in my house is parboiled, washed off and continue cooking as your foreign rice, nothing different.

If you even get to the markets and see the different brands of local rice and you decide to go for the stoned unmilled brand, the sellers would ask you if you know how to destone it.
That brand is usually for owners of canteens, bukas etc that have mastered the art and not for everyone. You don't go picking anything.

Wash to remove the husk and starchy dust, parboil, decant water and add cool water, shake your pot or container and you can even hear the sound of the stones at the bottom, scoop your rice and repeat for 2 or 3 times and your stone free rice is ready.

Most of you don't even know that you've been eating local rice even before the border closure especially if you visit those bukas and canteens regularly, you think the owners will go for foreign rice for 25k when he/she can get local for almost half the price and make more profit
so before border closure foreign rice was selling for 25k right?...lol buhari zombie
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by abdullkabar(m): 12:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
hatedisplace:
You made my day. I hate this place. Too many dumb people in this country.�
Haha, dumb you say smiley
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:30pm On Nov 17, 2019
yaki84:

In america 3% of the population feeds the entire country, what u dont understand is if every nigerian goes into agric business what benin n niger is experiencing now with the border closure wilk definitely be our issue too. In economics its called deflation. Much supply, less demand.
Where will u export it to?
So always think before u write.
Let's meet our demand first before thinking of exports, our price goes down and countries that can't produce enough will come for us.
Did you think those Asian countries that were sending rice to us can do that if they weren't able to have surpluses?
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
nerciifmt:

I tell you local rice is just punishment, spent two days sorting and picking the rice.
Story for the gods.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:33pm On Nov 17, 2019
abdullkabar:
With all this happening, if you check Aso Rock's food store now, you will most likely see foreign rice there, even foreign spag
They are saying they want to increase locally made consumption, yet one man traveled abroad to celebrate 80yrs birthday. Wetin do eleko, elegushi beach or one indigenous establishment. Our president too be flying up and down
And am sure, na foreign rice them dey shop for there. Think health, think education
The gap between our political post occupants and the masses is too much
How will our economy grow, when we don't invest here, even we the masses self get our own flaws. Na who to blame everybody dey find
Everything tire person

HOW I TAKE COME HERE SEF undecided
Show us the picture of Aso Rock food store so that we can believe you
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by abdullkabar(m): 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Show us the picture of Aso Rock food store so that we can believe you
Nawa oo!!
I tire cry
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by bellooyin(f): 12:38pm On Nov 17, 2019
Virus99:
Pls who can supply us rice to Ilorin?
We are in dire need embarassed
I can supply you, 16k for 50kg,Free delivery within ilorin
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by deltateam: 12:40pm On Nov 17, 2019
SalamRushdie:
Protectionism had never helped any industry on Earth ...Protectionism is similar to saying you will not allow your son school with other brilliant students so just he can come first all the time . Protectionism breeds laziness and industrial lackadaisicality

Award winning post of the month.

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by wink2015(m): 12:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
Many Nigeria political leaders are bringing foreign rice into Nigeria using embassies under diplomatic cover.

When they are accosted by customs they claim it is meant for the Australian high commissioner.

Whereas it is diverted to the El Rufai and Oshiomole who are forcing Buhari down our throat.

Why are we deceiving ourselves in Nigeria?

The way forward is to first open the border.

Equipped our local farmers with the technology that the Asian and Americans are using to produce quality rice.

Let the farmers bring up their standards in progression and compete with the foreign farmers.

If the Nigeria grown rice step up their standards in terms of the pricing and tastes.

There will be ample of opportunity for them locally and internationally.

Nigerians with foreign taste should not be persecuted or denied access to their foreign brands just because we want to enrich and empower our local farmers in Nigeria.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 12:45pm On Nov 17, 2019
loswhite:
so before border closure foreign rice was selling for 25k right?...lol buhari zombie
Must you go for foreign rice and waste our scarce forex? If you can't go local then pay 30k for foreign.
Tell me what you personally do that brings us forex we can waste and subsidize your foreign rice

2 Likes

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by deltateam: 12:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:

You na Area Fada.

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
dre11:

• MITROS Rice Not Available In Ogun Markets

• No Lake Rice Production

• No Special Arrangement For Rice Farming In Kaduna

• Farmers, Processors, Count Gains In Kano

https://m.guardian.ng/features/local-rice-production-has-not-taken-advantage-of-border-closure-investigations/

Lalasticlala

Local rice production in Nigeria is almost non-existent
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by deltateam: 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2019
bongo4real:
We are currently eating local rice (Sunrise) in the house though expensive for 10k half bag but we have to patronize our own.

If I hear officials join you.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Advocate500: 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2019
Beremx:
You said the op lied. That's my point. That there's surplus rice in Anambra doesn't mean other state have too. So with the complaints here and there, how can the supply outnumber the demand? For how long ?
I thought u people said the closure will affect igbo people that are doing business?maybe the reverse is the now.
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:00pm On Nov 17, 2019
Lifestone:

Your context is faulty if you put in view how China became a giant. It's even worse that the competition is by smugglers ! No sane country in the world will allow such thing.
For the OP, he should know that it will take a while for the factors of production to be reallocated to this new opportunities, that's elementary economics, we need to wait for another one year to begin to see the results of this great policy ( the best since PMB became President). I am aware that Stallion, Olam, Honeywell, Coscharis are gradually getting to the market.
If we continue to import things like rice for which Nigeria has ability to produce, where will the jobs for the youths come from?

If importing things like rice will hurt economy, how is buharis constant "private visits" and medical trips to d UK helping d economy? How come his 80year old had his b'day in d UK instead of Nigeria? How come buhari & his family have a complete disdain 4 Nigeria & u think they are doing Nigerians a favour by blocking d access Nigerians have to alternatives?

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2019
bongo4real:

So u aren't even if d govt people who closed d border are eating Nigerian rice
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Area4Area: 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2019
lexy2014:

If importing things like rice will hurt economy, how is buharis constant "private visits" and medical trips to d UK helping d economy? How come his 80year old had his b'day in d UK instead of Nigeria? How come buhari & his family have a complete disdain 4 Nigeria & u think they are doing Nigerians a favour by blocking d access Nigerians have to alternatives?
Better go into rice, fish or poultry production or trading and stop killing yourself over nothing, you've been given the opportunity by same Buhari
Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by lexy2014: 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2019
Area4Area:
Better go into rice, fish or poultry production or trading and stop killing yourself over nothing, you've been given the opportunity by same Buhari

First, what is d r/ship with what u said and d comment below?
lexy2014:

Second, if u insist on getting into a convo with me, u can begin by addressing d issues I raised in my comment.

Third, have u "taken advantage of d opportunity buhari provided by going into rice, fish or poultry production or trading urself"?

1 Like

Re: Local Rice Production Has Not Taken Advantage Of Border Closure – Investigations by Reference(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2019
[quote author=izzou post=84103300]

Your point being that the borders should be opened? [/quotel]

The point being that the horse trots before the cart. You get the tools of production before you start the work.

Why isn't imported fuel banned. Because Dangote refinery is not ready. As soon as it is comissioned it will make sense to ban imported fuel. Same goes for rice and all other stuff.

It is not rocket science. What has been done to substitite the imports or else smuggling will thrive and when the borders eventually reopen, nothing will have been gained.

Same ol, sane ol 1984.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abigail Makinde Is Dead: Governor Seyi Makinde's Mother Dies. Olubadan Mourns / Governor Abubakar Standing In Airport Shuttle Bus / Yari Built Lagos Hotel With N500m, $500,000 Paris Club Funds – EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.