Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,227 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:29 AM

Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku (7598 Views)

Imo Assembly Workers Lock-out Corpse Of Ex-speaker Over Unpaid Salaries / Imo Assembly Workers Lock-out Lawmakers Over Unpaid Salaries / Imo Assembly To Honour Young Rocket Launchers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 20, 2010
They did not impose Atiku on 'Nigerians'. Last I checked, they endorsed him to contest at the PDP primaries - to vie for the position of PDP candidate. This is not an imposition of any sort, as Atiku will need to pass through the PDP process, then win, then win the election before becoming president.

Secondly, even if the elders were 'forcing' Atiku on Nigerians, must legislators participate in such a farce? They should use their legislative knowledge to get the party delegates to vote against Atiku instead of making fools of themselves.

If a madman spits at you, will your response be to spit in retaliation?

Did the assembly members put up a law saying no one should vote for Atiku----Nope, it was a resolution by them not a Law, an agreement by them collectively, its not binding on anyone because it wasn't passed as a law, that was their own view just like the views of the Ciroma led committee, You guys are just barking without even reading the article well,
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Dec 20, 2010
RESOLUTION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_(law)

for those having a problem grasping the meaning of this
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by debosky(m): 4:33pm On Dec 20, 2010
babasoty:

Did the assembly members put up a law saying no one should vote for Atiku----Nope, it was a resolution by them not a Law, an agreement by them collectively, its not binding on anyone because it wasn't passed as a law, that was their own view just like the views of the Ciroma led committee, You guys are just barking without even reading the article well,

There is a fundamental difference between the two groups.

The Imo guys are legislators - paid to pass laws and exercise oversight over activities of the Imo State Government. They are PAID by Nigerians to do a JOB. The Ciroma bunch are private individuals who are free to do whatsoever they please.

Would you go to WORK and start using official time to do personal tasks?

The Imo legislature is out of line completely - only in a lawless country like Nigeria will institutions be abused brazenly and people come out to support them.

This isn't about Atiku or the Northern Elders - this is about a bunch of idiotic legislators forgetting their primary duties and seeking political relevance.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 20, 2010
RESOLUTION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_(law)

for those having a problem grasping the meaning of this

Kobo stop being smart you ain't go thru what you posted and tell me if a resolution is law, if you don't know a resolution can be binding and non-binding, stop acting like a smart alec here you ain't.
a resolution is not a law.--learn for once and stop arguing blindly.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 20, 2010
There is a fundamental difference between the two groups.

The Imo guys are legislators - paid to pass laws and exercise oversight over activities of the Imo State Government. They are PAID by Nigerians to do a JOB. The Ciroma bunch are private individuals who are free to do whatsoever they please.

Would you go to WORK and start using official time to do personal tasks?

The Imo legislature is out of line completely - only in a lawless country like Nigeria will institutions be abused brazenly and people come out to support them.

This isn't about Atiku or the Northern Elders - this is about a bunch of idiotic legislators forgetting their primary duties and seeking political relevance.

Wrong my friend--what you call actions by a group of men terminated the ambitions of three presidential contenders so also the aspirations of millions of their followers and also boosted the morale of one to slug it out with GEJ, so don't just call it a bunch of private individuals who are paid to do whatever they want to do, because the legislators are paid to do a job so they don't have a life of their own, there views don't count, that's why I said we should allow the people who voted them in and pay them to call for their heads not you nor kobo has that right to do that, they represent constituencies let the people they represent disown them,like I said earlier it's just a resolution, there has not even been a motion for it to be made law---- so chill
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Dec 20, 2010
For once, stop thinking you can read my mind and focus on that which is actually posted. You attempted to make it seem that resolutions passed by Legislators should be taken as out loud reading of personal opinions which is NOT THE CASE. We are not speaking here of  Legislators, who happen to be PDP Members, agreeing as PARTY MEMBERS to ignore Atiku. The Article tells you that the resolution was adopted by LEGISLATORS, not as PDP PARTY members, but as LEGISLATORS in Imo State. There is a huge difference and there is reason for people to wonder why lawmakers hired to serve the people would go as far as to make such decisions on behalf of the people of Imo State.

By the way, if you really have a problem with me telling it as I see it (referring to your earlier babble on how the people elected and so no one should comment nonsense), why are you even here spewing this still? Since we all should not care as, according to you, we all do not vote for, or come from Imo State, or live in Imo state, why are you still on this? Let me guess, I am not allowed to voice my opinion but you are allowed to put my opinion down as rambling while you continue on your own rant?
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by 1025: 4:53pm On Dec 20, 2010
here we have the worst set of house of assembly members in the country and the worst gov any state can think of.
this useless house of assembly jointly agree with their useless gov to sale non-existing job opportunities to poor graduates of the state.
i am from imo state and this call further show where jonathan belongs.
since 1983, imo state have never seen any gov worthy to be one and ohakim is the worst among his equals.
if these imbeciles turned law breakers are informed about democracy, they should have known that it is a thing of choice.
shame to the house, shame to the gov and shame to pdp.
at my age, who has the right to tell me who to vote?
ohakim fraudulently have turned imo state to a one party system.
the most unfortunate thing about pdp is that as long as you deliever and you are loyal, you can do anything and get away with it.
the recent election in imo state was a show of shame where pdp won 27 out the 27 local govt areas in the state and 300 out of 300 councellorship ward.
ohakim is a known fraudstar and he is dsiplaying his talents in the state.
shame to this house of shame.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 20, 2010
For once, stop thinking you can read my mind and focus on that which is actually posted. You attempted to make it seem that resolutions passed by Legislators should be taken as out loud reading of personal opinions which is NOT THE CASE. We are not speaking here of Legislators, who happen to be PDP Members, agreeing as PARTY MEMBERS to ignore Atiku. The Article tells you that the resolution was adopted by LEGISLATORS, not as PDP PARTY members, but as LEGISLATORS in Imo State.

@kobo even if you look at them as PDP members or Legislators-they have made their point clear, they have earlier said they are going to support GEJ and see it as political harakiri to support another person else and they have resolved not to support Atiku--what's wrong with that, you guys are just taking it personal because they are legislators or because they made their resolution in their hallowed chambers, Its their resolution---We wont support Atiku and we resolve not to so what's wrong with what they are doing and all other delegate who isn't going to support Atiku doing, They haven't yet made it law for everyone not to support Atiku.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Dec 20, 2010
babasoty:

@kobo even if you look at them as PDP members or Legislators-they have made their point clear, they have earlier said they are going to support GEJ and see it as political harakiri to support another person else and they have resolved not to support Atiku--what's wrong with that, you guys are just taking it personal because they are legislators or because they made their resolution in their hallowed chambers, Its their resolution---We wont support Atiku and we resolve not to so what's wrong with what they are doing and all other delegate who isn't going to support Atiku doing, They haven't yet made it law for everyone not to support Atiku.

I am going to go out on a limb here to conclude you do not know what you are even going on about. I believe at this point you are posting for posting sake without even taking time to understand the enormity of this move . . .

Imo State House of Assembly at the weekend passed a resolu-tion rejecting the candida-ture of former Vice Presi-dent Atiku in the up- com-ing primaries of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The all-PDP state legislature members also warned Igbo governors and other sons and daughters against accep-ting the vice presidential slot being dangled before them by the former vice president.

[b]The House adopted two other prayers of the motion namely: that Ohanaeze Ndigbo should prevail on all Igbos not to accept to be vice presidential candidate [/b]at next year’s election and that Governor Ikedi Oha-kim should lead a delegation of all Imo State PDP delegates to presidential primaries to convey the resolution to the President.

Yes, that is my conclusion at this point, and I think I will stick to it. You may not like it but I am sorry, it's my opinion at this point, so let it be.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 20, 2010
I am going to go out on a limb here to conclude you do not know what you are even going on about. I believe at this point you are posting for posting sake without even taking time to understand the enormity of this move

And at this juncture I'm gonna walk out with my head held high and stop making you understand that the house has a right to decide whoever they want to support and let your hatred for GEJ and his supporters continue to make you pour out venom on whatever decisions people take in support of GEJ's candidacy--- at least we know where you stand.----WE ARE HERE AND U ARE THERE.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On Dec 20, 2010
[size=15pt]ROFLMAO!!![/size] cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by ChineduEZ: 5:28pm On Dec 20, 2010
Head held high ke? My broda please drop ya head. Your argument is mo-ron-ic.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 20, 2010
So thats part of thier legislative duties. Im so ashamed of dis people. I hate dem all, both them, artiku, gje and pdp at large. Dis guys dnt legislate anymore all do is spew trash and get paid. When are we gona get it right, we ve lost focus.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 20, 2010
Head held high ke? My broda please drop ya head. Your argument is mo-ron-ic.

What's moronic about supporting the candidature of someone , bros don't let you and kobo's narcissism like that of your hero Atiku get into your head,
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Anaegboka(m): 5:33pm On Dec 20, 2010
If it is morally right for the Ciroma led cabal to reject GEJ and pick Atiku, what makes it morally wrong for Imo state house of assembly to prefer GEJ over Atiku? Politics in Nigeria has never gone beyond sectional interest and it is time the minority tribes takes over the reigns of leadership. It is a known fact that the northerners who have being in positions of leadership have done nothing to improve the lives of their people but to create almajiris with the hope of whiping up religious sentiments and have them fight for them anytime their political or financial interest is threatened.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2010
Anaegboka:

If it is morally right for the Ciroma led cabal to reject GEJ and pick Atiku, what makes it morally wrong for Imo state house of assembly to prefer GEJ over Atiku? [/b]Politics in Nigeria has never gone beyond sectional interest and it is time the minority tribes takes over the reigns of leadership. It is a known fact that the northerners who have being in positions of leadership have done nothing to improve the lives of their people but to create almajiris with the hope of whiping up religious sentiments and have them fight for them anytime their political or financial interest is threatened.

a) [b]Ciroma(and his cabal)
---- Ordinary Civilians/ PDP Members (NOT Nigerian OFFICIALS)

b) Imo State House of Assembly --- MEMBERS OF IMO STATE GOVERNMENT (Nigerian Officials)

Why in the world would anyone attempt to compare the two groups?? WHY cry cry cry cry
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Donmeca(m): 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2010
this is funny to me. . .but if the north can have a consensus aspirant, y can't any other part of the country? The drama is basically unfolding in Nigeria.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Dec 20, 2010
^^^ The north does not have a consensus aspirant. Ciroma is NOT The decision maker for Northerners. Why are you here advocating that the people in Imo State be SHACKLED because you assume the North is also SHACKLED. What kind of mentality is that?
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by kobojokobo: 5:55pm On Dec 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) Ciroma(and his cabal) ---- Civilians/ PDP Members (NOT Nigerian OFFICIALS)

b) Imo State House of Assembly --- MEMBERS OF IMO STATE GOVERNMENT (Nigerian Officials)

Why in the world would anyone attempt to compare the two groups?? WHY cry cry cry cry

Ciroma and his cabal are former public office holders, and are politicians of great influence in this country. No one is comparing them politically, it is their moral justification/stance Vs. Imo State House of Assembly that is the bone of contention.

Kobo, we both know it, there is nothing wrong in what those legislators did!
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 20, 2010
a) Ciroma(and his cabal) ---- Civilians/ PDP Members (NOT Nigerian OFFICIALS)

Why in the world would anyone attempt to compare the two groups?? WHY

You sound as if the actions of Ciroma and his ilk is of no consequence---- for heavens sake---ATIKU IS IN THE RACE CUS THEY CHOSE AND ENDORSED HIM, If he should win the PDP primaries would it be overturned because he was chosen by Ciroma and his group, if he wins the presidency would it be overturned cus he was chosen by them ?---Nope, they have chosen and the Legislators have also chosen---- so what's wrong with that.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Indirah(m): 6:03pm On Dec 20, 2010
@ americana mr jaygetta, for one who claims to have spent only eight years of his life in naija, your pidgin english is astonishing
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by kobojokobo: 6:04pm On Dec 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

^^^ The north does not have a consensus aspirant. Ciroma is NOT The decision maker for Northerners. Why are you here advocating that the people in Imo State be SHACKLED because you assume the North is also SHACKLED. What kind of mentality is that?

Yes, Ciroma is at least informally a decision maker for the North, just as how Ojukwu was the undisputed spokeperson for the East, in their agitation for self governance; Just as how Ken Saro Wiwa was the mouth piece for the ND when they were fighting for equal share and better treatment from the government; Just as how Awo represented his people and tells them what and who to vote for; Just as how Bola Ige had the mandate of the Yorubas, and tells them how to behave politically. Look be realistic, Ciroma represents, at least, the far North, and what he says or has to say goes a long way. He is the face and voice  of the ordinary voiceless Almanjiri.
And your use of the word SHACKLED is derogatory; What they did is what the west called CIVILISATION, presenting your ideas, political or not, in a very organised and effective way.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2010
babasoty:

You sound as if the actions of Ciroma and his ilk is of no consequence---- for heavens sake---ATIKU IS IN THE RACE CUS THEY CHOSE AND ENDORSED HIM, If he should win the PDP primaries would it be overturned because he was chosen by Ciroma and his group, if he wins the presidency would it be overturned cus he was chosen by them ?---Nope, they have chosen and the Legislators have also chosen---- so what's wrong with that.

You do realize you are still not making any sense, right? I mean where do I even start in dissecting what you have above to show you how ridiculous the comparisons you continue to make are?  shocked Seriously, can I suggest you go learn how Governments work in a democracy? I mean I think that will help you catch up!
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Donmeca(m): 6:09pm On Dec 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yeah. . .likewise the Imo HA is not and will not be decision makers for Easterners/Southerner. . .and they are not claiming to be. I personally wud not do as they did but they are free to pledge their support for any candidate. Their opinion, probably after consulting their constituents. Ciroma went to religious and traditional leaders and claims he was mandated by ACF (the authentic northern group). the politics is dirty, Kobo. What do u say to the kind of campaigns of calumny going on within the same party?. . .one about inexperienced hands and the other about money laundering, given that whoever loses will be xpected to work for the success of the party (his opponent. . .d naive or d looter) in the general polls. It is really dirty and the whole thing got spoilt as soon as Ciroma decided to play god with d North.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Dec 20, 2010
In addition, I would like to suggest that any other person having a problem separating the roles of Legislators from that of a band of people who only happen to be politicians and not much else, should please take lessons on how our Government should really work for US, so we can better understand why decisions made by our Government continue to affect us. I cannot believe this is how the YOUTH of this nation thinks, even after 12 years of democracy!

This continued display of ignorance of how Government should work for the people, regardless of region, is getting disgusting by the minute.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Dec 20, 2010
Donmeca:

Yeah. . .likewise the Imo HA is not and will not be decision makers for Easterners/Southerner. . .and they are not claiming to be.

YOU ARE WRONG!!! The House of Assembly MAKES LAWS that Govern the running of, and operations of the States, in this case IMO STATE. That is the POWER bestowed on the Office they occupy by the Nigerian Constitution.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 20, 2010
Yes, Ciroma is at least informally a decision maker for the North, just as how Ojukwu was the undisputed spokeperson for the East, in their agitation for self governance; Just as how Ken Saro Wiwa was the mouth piece for the ND when they were fighting for equal share and better treatment from the government; Just as how Awo represented his people and tells them what and who to vote for; Just as how Bola Ige had the mandate of the Yorubas, and tells them how to behave politically. Look be realistic, Ciroma represents, at least, the far North, and what he says or has to say goes a long way. He is the face and voice  of the ordinary voiceless Almanjiri.
And your use of the word SHACKLED is derogatory; What they did is what the west called CIVILISATION, presenting your ideas, political or not, in a very organised and effective way.

Did i just get that for you--honestly you lost every respect i had for your views or opinions, you call what Ciroma and his crazy bunch did as being civilized, what was the criteria in choosing Atiku, what was the yardstick used ?, you really deserved to have your brain examined if that's what civilization means to you, I guess rush limbaugh and karl rove are gonna sit down and present the next consensus republican candidate, kobo, your sick ------HONESTLY. I guess the voiceless almajiri's are in for a long ride with their fate decided by 9 wise men.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 20, 2010
Opppps I forgot one of the 9 unwise men didn't even believe in what he chose so he was quick to go endorse and be the campaign manager of another Northerner---- chai I pity the voiceless almajiri's.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Anaegboka(m): 6:25pm On Dec 20, 2010
1025:

here we have the worst set of house of assembly members in the country and the worst gov any state can think of.
this useless house of assembly jointly agree with their useless gov to sale non-existing job opportunities to poor graduates of the state.
i am from imo state and this call further show where jonathan belongs.
since 1983, imo state have never seen any gov worthy to be one and ohakim is the worst among his equals.
if these imbeciles turned law breakers are informed about democracy, they should have known that it is a thing of choice.
shame to the house, shame to the gov and shame to pdp.
at my age, who has the right to tell me who to vote?
ohakim fraudulently have turned imo state to a one party system.
the most unfortunate thing about pdp is that as long as you deliever and you are loyal, you can do anything and get away with it.
the recent election in imo state was a show of shame where pdp won 27 out the 27 local govt areas in the state and 300 out of 300 councellorship ward.
ohakim is a known fraudstar and he is dsiplaying his talents in the state.
shame to this house of shame.
[/quote sadly what you wrote about Imo state, Gov. Ohakim, the legislators and the recently held local govt. elections are true. Imo state have never had it so bad in terms of governance. Imo and Abia states are the states shaming the s/e states.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by 1025: 6:34pm On Dec 20, 2010
And at this juncture I'm gonna walk out with my head held high and stop making you understand that the house has a right to decide whoever they want to support and let your hatred for GEJ and his supporters continue to make you pour out venom on whatever decisions people take in support of GEJ's candidacy--- at least we know where you stand.----WE ARE HERE AND U ARE THERE.

@babasoty,
what nigeria and the large world is working towards is a one man, one vote situation. have u ever tot of voting a different candidate while ur parents vote another? have u ever tot of the maturity and level of understanding that comes with you having you senses of your own?
gone are the days when ppl make decissions for others. why are under aged ppl not allowed to vote? at 18, u are expected to make your decissions and bear the consequences of your decissions and actions.
the idea of having legislatures is to make useful laws and not breaking of laws.
it is time ppl look at candidates and what they have to offer and vote with their minds.
with this one party system growing up in nigeria, do u think democracy is having its ways?
no wonder we hold no one responsible for our situations. how can u talk tomorrow when the decission of who to vote for was made on ur behalf by someone else.
uncle, if you are not matured enough to take your decissions on who to vote for, it means u are not eligible to vote.
if there is any decission that is going to be personal, it is who u want to be the next president?
it is rather unfortunate that many of us sign in here just to follow the crowd.
many cannot tell u why they want a particular candidate to be the next president.
it is obvious that the weak imo house are too idle that irrelevant things have taken over them.
did anyone of them win election even the gov ohakim? we all know the history so let these obasanjo directed movies made old news.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Donmeca(m): 6:35pm On Dec 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

YOU ARE WRONG!!! The House of Assembly MAKES LAWS that Govern the States, in this case IMO STATE. That is the POWER bestowed on the Office they occupy by the Nigerian Constitution.

Right. They make laws that govern their state but not the Southern part of Nigeria, my analogy shows that they don't and can't speak for the south. they are free to adopt aspirants. Governors even have the right to adopt their choice candidates, y not legislators? They believe in a person and and wish to plead with people to support their choice. . . the way I c it.
Re: Imo Assembly Rejects Atiku by Ibime(m): 6:37pm On Dec 20, 2010
Matters of party and matters of state are two seperate things entirely.

Legislators have no business bring party matters into the house.

This is why most of us never concerned ourselves with zoning argument cos its got nothing to do with us. When people claim to speak for North or SW or SE with regards to zoning, they are only fooling themselves cos these regions are not governed by PDP constitution. PDP crooks should sort out their matters in-house, not use our institutions as platform to discuss party matters nor issue communiques under the name of such institutions.

Even if every single member of that house is PDP, they cannot use that house name for internal PDP matters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

13 Bidders Pay 75% Balance For Power Assets / APC National Chairman Commits Another Treasonable Blunder In Owerri! / Atlantic Distilleries::: New Ethanol Plant Berths In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.