Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,588 members, 7,944,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 01:11 AM

Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec (12221 Views)

Ministerial List: Those who Were Hopeful, But Have Been Disappointed! / NANS Tells Buhari: “You Have Disappointed Us In Your 100 Days In Office” / Prove Your Allegations Against Us, INEC Dares PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Meldrick(m): 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2011
Bawss1:

The Nigerian education system for all to see!

So now this is INEC's fault? You'd be amazed about the quality of some of our university graduates if you took a closer look at them. We have
ourselves to blame in this. As someone pointed out earlier; faulty equipment and dull corpers makes for an inefficient registration process.

Like I earlier said, These students are products of their environment. Do not expect anything better. Our leaders are aware of the products that will come out of our Universities and this explains why they take their children abroad.

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/
Check out this website and you realize even in Africa, Nigerian Universities are nowhere to be found.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 10cirenoh: 12:14pm On Jan 18, 2011
Get me a phucking laptop, the webcam and the yeye printer and i will successfully register one person each within 10 minutes.

That's why i said Nigeria graduates are like primary school pupils with only glorified certified to prove that they went to a time wasting institute called the "university"
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by rasputinn(m): 12:16pm On Jan 18, 2011
Arrant nonsense,did the INEC goons ascertain the level of computer literacy or otherwise of the corpers before hiring them?Arent the INEC officials supposed to train the corpers on the use of the machines?

I see this as a convenient escape route for the failed and failing INEC officials
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Wumine(f): 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2011
violent:

For crying out loud, there are cyber cafes littered all around costing just a little over 100 naira an hour, there are independent computer classes that cost less that 3000 naira a month, what you need sir, is initiative!. . . . it's shameful that even my 68 year old neighbor knows how to do common things on the computer, although he never had access to one as a student.  

Face it, Nigerian students are too sluggish and lazy. . .all they think about is how to get rich overnight, no one bothers to actually learn!

Cybercafes and computer classes you said? Well for your info, some Nigerian students cannot boost of money for that. For some, that is a luxury they can only wish for and believe me, i've been there. Some are actually ready to learn if given the resources. Y not make the computers readily available for them to learn with in school., i mean education in Nigeria should have gone beyond that for the love of God.

I still blame it on the 'agbaya' big for nothing in yoruba govt, there are millions of corpers out there to choose from and am telling you if they had not been too lazy in their 'search' and looking for cheap labour, they could have gotten more than enough that have been lucky to be computer literate. Then they needed to also have been trained well for the job, abi is govt cutting cost on that too abi is it late minute arrangement?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by violent(m): 12:21pm On Jan 18, 2011
Meldrick:

Very myopic and shallow mentality.
The students are only products of their environment.
Must you depend on Cyber Cafe to get equipped with the knowledge you desire as a Computer Science student. There certainly would have been no need to write JAMB, gain admission into the University to study Computer Science if you say going to the Cyber Cafe is a better alternative.

The students are products of their environment. The government has failed. Don't expect anything better. After years in the University, most of these students never had a practical example and you say you have a good government. That you can afford 3,000 does not mean everyone can afford it. Who does not desire to be rich overnight including you? It is never bad to dream. Stop claiming Mr. Righteous

The Government failed in its responsibility to provide an enabling environment?   YES!
Have the student gone out of their way to learn the basic things to develop themselves? NO!

As a student, you hold a higher responsibility than the government does in making yourself a better person. A computer science student that waits for the government to deliver computers to his class without necessarily deeming it fit to go out of his way is lazy and shouldn't even be studying the course to begin with.

As an undergraduate, i have had cause to deny myself of basic luxury to register for courses in fields were i believe will eventually benefit me in the near future.  It becomes distasteful that an average student will rather spend money buying cloths and other luxury items than invest in his/her development, all they do is wait for the government. . . .bullshyt!

I have friends who studied computer engineering but since the school lacks the basic infrastructures to train them properly, this same people went out of their way to learn software programming and  hardware configuration, if anything it shows you are passionate about your career!

for chrissake, this is an age where even five year olds don't have an excuse for being a computer illiterate, it's outrageous that university graduate are!
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Jalal(m): 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2011
Sum1 shoud be blamed but not corpers. I dont think capturing all the 10 fingers for registeration is a good idea. It makes the process very slow.

They have been trained to operate the machines, which is very easy to operate, even if u teach a primary school kid, he'll be able to operate the machines.

Most of the corpers have not been paid their allowances, and they sleep on the floor at the registeration centers because of no accomodation.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by adefes(m): 12:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC is just pushing the blame.
A close friend of mine said they couldn't register anybody yesterday because the DDC machine did not accept their log-in details.

Can you check your yahoomail if your machine refuse to connect to the internet?
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by bukolaakin: 12:26pm On Jan 18, 2011
I can't begin to imagine INEC blaming corp members for its own inefficiency.Some of those corpers were not interested in taking part in the registration exercise in the first place & did not even show up for the training yet INEC recruited them.

As a corp member myself, going all the way from Lagos to Epe for 3 days to attend the training exercise, already set to go to Epe for the 2 weeks, only get to INEC office at ikoyi on friday and saw that my name was not on the list & seeing names of some my fellow corp members who didn't even do the training on the list, i now begin to question myself if it this same INEC that cannot conduct fairly an ordinary recruitment exercise that wants to conduct a free and fair election.

I want to believe that operating the machine could be a bit difficult for the untrained corpers in the first few days but i expect that as time goes on, they would catch up.

INEC has played the sound of a poorly planned & disorganized recruitment of its adhoc staff, so it should as well dance to the music.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by jamace(m): 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC please own up to your fault. With the billions of Naira you recieved for this excercise, Nigerians will not accept any shoddy job. Jega, take note.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 10cirenoh: 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
Wumine:

Cybercafes and computer classes you said? Well for your info, some Nigerian students cannot boost of money for that. For some, that is a luxury they can only wish for and believe me, i've been there. Some are actually ready to learn if given the resources.

Will you shut up there? who told you cyber cafe is a luxury? with 100 naira, they can send scam emails, but when it comes to learning with the same 100 naira, it becomes a luxury abi?

so is it the rich kids that patronize the cyber cafe? THE CYBER CAFES are for the damn poor which your useless "university" student falls into.

They can't vote, can't defend their votes, don't know what they want, can't learn for self actualization, can't even do anything right.

Useless youth, all they know is dance, music, facebook and se.xxxx
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by violent(m): 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
Wumine:

Cybercafes and computer classes you said? Well for your info, some Nigerian students cannot boost of money for that. For some, that is a luxury they can only wish for and believe me, i've been there. Some are actually ready to learn if given the resources. Y not make the computers readily available for them to learn with in school., i mean education in Nigeria should have gone beyond that for the love of God.

I still blame it on the 'agbaya' big for nothing in yoruba govt, there are millions of corpers out there to choose from and am telling you if they had not been too lazy in their 'search' and looking for cheap labour, they could have gotten more than enough that have been lucky to be computer literate. Then they needed to also have been trained well for the job, abi is govt cutting cost on that too abi is it late minute arrangement?

well said!

Now, let's follow your constraint theory of extremely limited resources, is it also suffice to say that their aren't individuals within the same faculties or departments that have personal computers from which others who don't can learn a thing or two from?

damn, all you need is
"Hello Bobby, can you please show me how certain things work on a computer, as you know now, it wouldn't be a cool thing if i graduate and i still can't operate a damn laptop"

Except of course our friends have a problem building relationships with people and are all introverts!
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Meldrick(m): 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2011
violent:

The Government failed in its responsibility to provide an enabling environment?   YES!
Have the student gone out of their way to learn the basic things to develop themselves? NO!

As a student, you hold a higher responsibility than the government does in making yourself a better person. A computer science student that waits for the government to deliver computers to his class without necessarily deeming it fit to go out of his way is lazy and shouldn't even be studying the course to begin with.

As an undergraduate, i have cause to deny myself of basic luxury to register for courses in fields were i believe will eventually benefit me in the near future.  It becomes distasteful that an average student will rather spend money buying cloths and other luxury items than invest in his/her development, all they do is wait for the government. . . .bullshyt!

I[b] have friends who studied computer engineering but since the school lacks the basic infrastructures to train them properly, this same people went out of their way to learn software programming and  hardware configuration, if anything it shows you are passionate about your career![/b]
for chrissake, this is an age where even five year olds don't have an excuse for being a computer illiterate, it's outrageous that university graduate are!

Look at the bolded part and be sincere with yourself. How many people can afford the money to learn those software programmes. I'll enlighten you if you don't know because Iam presently working with an IT company and know the cost of some of these programmes. You can go out of your way to ask programmers what it takes and they will tell you they were fortunate. With the level of poverty in the land, an average Computer Science student can't afford it and stop assuming that all students use all their money to buy clothes. Of course they must wear clothes or don't you buy. I wonder when wearing clothes have become luxury. Think man
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 10cirenoh: 12:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
Meldrick:

Look at the bolded part and be sincere with yourself. How many people can afford the money to learn those software programmes. I'll enlighten you if you don't know because Iam presently working with an IT company and know the cost of some of these programmes. You can go out of your way to ask programmers what it takes and they will tell you they were fortunate. With the level of poverty in the land, an average Computer Science student can't afford it and stop assuming that all students use all their money to buy clothes. Of course they must wear clothes or don't you buy. I wonder when wearing clothes have become luxury. Think man

If they could pay their way through school just to get a USELESS certificate from the university, why can't they also pay through a computer school just to get their career on the right path?

BTW, computer school fees are much more cheaper than that of your useless universities and it take just few months to learn the basics. (infact sometimes you don't have to go to school to even learn how to use a computer).
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by violent(m): 12:41pm On Jan 18, 2011
Meldrick:

When i say "go out of your way" i don't necessarily mean dole out millions of ### to learn programming, neither do i mean having to starve and walk náked in streets. . .for chrissake, it all starts with asking a friend to introduce him to another friend who understands and can teach a few things in programming. I learnt VBA by reading a borrowed textbook and practicing on a friend's laptop and i ain't even an IT person, but just because i know it generally makes my experience on excel easier, my first experience with hardware was with a broken computer, i just sat, watched and learnt. . .that's why we have long holidays and weekends,  . .if someone is not willing to go out of his way to learn, why should we assume that even if those computers are provided to his doorstep he'd bother to check em out?

stop blaming the government for things that can actually be taught and learnt within your immediate environment by your peers, you don't have to be an automobile engineer to learn how to drive, people teach you, why not the same with computers?. . . .you think man!
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by ronkeenuf(f): 12:55pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC ought not be disappointed at the incompetency of our graduates, it is only the consequence of our educational system coupled with the carelessness of the Federal Government, an eg is the current postponement of resumption date angry.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by texazzpete(m): 1:05pm On Jan 18, 2011
Meldrick:

What the hell do you mean? How many Universities have a computer. If not for these private Universities, most federal and state universities have none. Even my friend who read computer science was finding it difficult to put off my laptop because most Computer Science departments can't posses a computer. So what do u expect?

I don't know where you get your crack from, but all federal Universities have computer centres. ALL universities in school have functional cybercafes.
Computer awareness is a basic skill that everyone knows will come in handy in future. Any graduate that cannot use a computer is an idiot.
even with no formal computer based training in your area of study, it is expected that every graduate should take advantage of Computers and the internet and at least learn the basics.

PS: there is no single computer science department in Nigeria that will not have computers. I hate it when you people resort to melodrama to make a point.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Diligence: 1:16pm On Jan 18, 2011
Many of them only learn wt computers after 4/5 years degree course! That is reality! 21st century giant of Africa!
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by calculusx(m): 1:17pm On Jan 18, 2011
But to worsen the problem, the INEC official furthered her explanation by way of placating the Nigerians in the queue suffering the registration frustration that there are some other factors why the machines refuse fingerprints and would influence what it accepts as correct data.
Among such revelations from her is that a person intending to register may have problems with the machine if he or she has some health problems or inadequacies. She notified that “the machine normally rejects prints from someone whose blood pressure is higher than normal. It also does not easily take prints from somebody whose blood pressure is below normal. Also, diabetic patients intending to register might have problems with DDC recognition and data print acceptance. So if you belong to any of these categories I have mentioned, you have to be really patient and give the registration officials some time. It would do some good you leave the registration point, go back home and come back at a time you feel you are ok.”

With the almost impossible health conditions that disqualify someone, Daily Sun asked the INEC supervisor if there was much wisdom in the programming of the machine with such shortfalls or wide margin of rejections or selections, especially for the fact that many adult Nigerians fall within the health problem range.
Although she was speechless at the question and could not make any attempt at clearing it, but the points she made was instructive in getting a possible answer to why many people had problems getting registered.

I'm a Corp member and INEC is bleeped. How many days training was given to the Corp members and do they care about our welfare? Some Corp members slept in INEC offices or in Primary Schools where they are been posted to with mosquitoes everywhere and you expect them to give out 100%. There is no Security for the Corp members and, INEC lack logistics and they should accept the blame once and for all.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by 10cirenoh: 1:18pm On Jan 18, 2011
There are cyber cafes and computer centers in all universities in Nigeria.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Rbaby1: 1:25pm On Jan 18, 2011
[i]Inec have to blame for improper conduction of the training and no orientation for the corps
Also the corp have their blames,
[/i]
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by tunyus(m): 1:26pm On Jan 18, 2011
What a slap on we corps members, dis pple are noting but Bastard
Are we the one dat say they should go and buy FAKE thumbprint scanner.i av not been paid a dime.up till now including my training allowancei am working in crossriver, if not for the arrangement dat the comunity av on ground to feed us and house us,i wonder what culd av been our faith.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 18, 2011
I don't really think the issue is the students.As lazy as they might seem,INEC should have carried out some form of evaluation to check the computer competency (if i may put it that way) of these so-called graduates.
What they are doing by shifting the blame is just passing the buck.
All the money Jega was crying out for,some could have been used to train some of these people.
We shouldn't assume by default that everyone knows how to use a computer,even if it's obvious by now that graduates must have come in contact with one at least once in their life time.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Hodaya(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2011
Not surprised that a Nigerian University graduate can't operate a computer simply because we have Computer Science graduates who never trained with a PC while in school.

This is the reality of the decay in university system and INEC not owning up to their responsibility.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Mobinga: 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2011
Hodaya:

Not surprised that a Nigerian University graduate can't operate a computer simply because we have Computer Science graduates who never trained with a PC while in school.

This is the reality of the decay in university system and INEC not owning up to their responsibility.
God bless you and your family. Drop your email let me send you mtn recharge cards.

End Of Story! Thread Locked
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Bintus2much(m): 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
I disagreee with people trying to put the blame on Corps members instead of INEC that has purchased ineffective machines. I as much as some corp memeber are not use to the machines, the problem still lies with machines themselves. come to think of it, didnt INEC train these ppl? Hw come they still blame them after training? We really have a long way to go in 9ja
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by calculusx(m): 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
Why would INEC design a finger print scanner not to register people with High or Low BP or for diabetic Patients knowing fully well the stress and hard work Nigerians go through to make a ends meet. INEC sucks
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 18, 2011
calculusx:

But to worsen the problem, the INEC official furthered her explanation by way of placating the Nigerians in the queue suffering the registration frustration that there are some other factors why the machines refuse fingerprints and would influence what it accepts as correct data.
Among such revelations from her is that a person intending to register may have problems with the machine if he or she has some health problems or inadequacies. She notified that “the machine normally rejects prints from someone whose blood pressure is higher than normal. It also does not easily take prints from somebody whose blood pressure is below normal. Also, diabetic patients intending to register might have problems with DDC recognition and data print acceptance. So if you belong to any of these categories I have mentioned, you have to be really patient and give the registration officials some time. It would do some good you leave the registration point, go back home and come back at a time you feel you are ok.”

With the almost impossible health conditions that disqualify someone, Daily Sun asked the INEC supervisor if there was much wisdom in the programming of the machine with such shortfalls or wide margin of rejections or selections, especially for the fact that many adult Nigerians fall within the health problem range.
Although she was speechless at the question and could not make any attempt at clearing it, but the points she made was instructive in getting a possible answer to why many people had problems getting registered.

I'm a Corp member and INEC is bleeped. How many days training was given to the Corp members and do they care about our welfare? Some Corp members slept in INEC offices or in Primary Schools where they are been posted to with mosquitoes everywhere and you expect them to give out 100%. There is no Security for the Corp members and, INEC lack logistics and they should accept the blame once and for all.
Thanks for this contribution.People here are just attacking the corpers without asking meaningful questions from INEC ?
^^Is INEC really ready to conduct the coming elections ?
^^Over #130 billion was budgeted for INEC out of which large chunk of such money is spent on acquiring these laptops,why can't INEC provide funds for IT training for those to operate the laptops ?
^^How much did INEC budget for IT training for 2011 and who are the beneficiaries ?

INEC is only blaming its failure on corper and I hope they won't do so if the election is rigged come next.''Let's see what the minister of information has to say about this since he has been making stup-id comments and praising jonathan for bringing internet to nigeria''
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by COMPAQ(m): 1:42pm On Jan 18, 2011
The quality of our education is extremely poor. To be honest I myself could not use a computer when i graduated, but that was in 1999 when computers and internet were fairly new on the scene. With the amount of browsing and facebooking that the youth do, I would have thought that the average graduate would be conversant with computers. After all, I have seen an accounting graduate at WYSE (studying for ICAN) that couldn't seperate a list of transactions into debit and credit. That is how bad our education is.

However, INEC should still take the blame because it should have put them through some basic computer literacy test to identify thopse that could and couldn't operate the computers properly.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by leleri: 1:49pm On Jan 18, 2011
INEC should be ashame, they only trained d corpers for 2 days
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by ItGeek(m): 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2011
I can't begin to imagine INEC blaming corp members for its own inefficiency.Some of those corpers were not interested in taking part in the registration exercise in the first place & did not even show up for the training yet INEC recruited them.

As a corp member myself, going all the way from Lagos to Epe for 3 days to attend the training exercise, already set to go to Epe for the 2 weeks, only get to INEC office at ikoyi on friday and saw that my name was not on the list & seeing names of some my fellow corp members who didn't even do the training on the list, i now begin to question myself if  this same INEC that cannot conduct fairly an ordinary recruitment exercise that wants to conduct a free and fair election.

I want to believe that operating the machine could be a bit difficult for the untrained corpers in the first few days but i expect that as time goes on, they would catch up.

INEC has played the sound of a poorly planned & disorganized recruitment of its adhoc staff, so it should as well dance to the music.
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by dapachez: 1:53pm On Jan 18, 2011
this INEC and all of them have been doomed to fail right from the start,why do we always like trading blame in this country, na corper fault say scanner no work or battery die,men lets give them a break INEC should put their house in order QED. Nonsense i laff at all of them in IBO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,HAUSA grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin and  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;DYORUBA
Re: Corps Members Disappointed Us – Inec by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 18, 2011
COMPAQ:

The quality of our education is extremely poor. To be honest I myself could not use a computer when i graduated, but that was in 1999 when computers and internet were fairly new on the scene. With the amount of browsing and facebooking that the youth do, I would have thought that the average graduate would be conversant with computers. After all, I have seen an accounting graduate at WYSE (studying for ICAN) that couldn't seperate a list of transactions into debit and credit. That is how bad our education is.

However, INEC should still take the blame because it should have put them through some basic computer literacy test to identify thopse that could and couldn't operate the computers properly.

I hope you didn't forget that INEC even went as far as recruiting school cert and NCE holders in some places who may not be computer literates based on nothing but nepotism.
what would INEC have said if the AD-HOC staff are not corpers cuz I'm sure not all the corpers are graduates of computer-based courses ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Sss Trailed Boko Haram’s Spokesman To Kaduna (the Inside Story) / I Am Not Going To Resign - Kachikwu / Sheriff's Chairmanship In PDP Is A Mistake - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.