Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,354 members, 7,940,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:19 AM

What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? (34056 Views)

Poll: Can a woman who can't cook be a good wife?

Yes: 58% (41 votes)
No: 41% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Ladies, Can You Marry A Guy Who Can't Cook? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Any Woman That Can't Cook Is Highly Irresponsible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Imani(f): 11:55pm On Jun 10, 2007
ogbdcm:

any woman that can't cook got no value and shes not worth being called a woman grin

Oga @nigerdelta, take ya time o angry

What exactly do you want from a woman? Don't worry, you can say all that is on your mind wink
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by ghettochyk(f): 11:57pm On Jun 10, 2007
I-man:

Pardon me. . .but you are a bit incoherent
oops. i guess you can't. well, i expected so anyways. i guess i'm gonna have to dismiss you dearie. consider yourself dismissed. wink
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 11:58pm On Jun 10, 2007
Imani:

Not all women are concerned with such trivial issues. You are right, some place unrealistic value on fickle things like money. However, some consider character, personality, attitudes to life and maturity as more important.

There is a great deal of pride in being able to cook for one's family. However, we just have to accept not all women will be able to do so. However, that doesn't make her less a women. As long as it doesn't become an issue in the home and the woman is creative and comes up with other idea to compensate for this "anomaly" there really shouldn't be a problem. But ladies should make sure they let their intended spouses know of their cooking ability especially if they are african men

A coherent woman. . . . at least you concede the need to be "creative" and to "compensate" for the lack of cooking skills.If women were you to ignore some of the qualities they have come to expect from men,perhaps it would be easier to ignore those we expect from them
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by OmoEko1(f): 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2007
Anyway that marry me will stuffer because i can't really cook grin grin grin, he married me has his wife not a cook/housemaid.

Na fast fast we go eat or garri and groundnut lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 12:05am On Jun 11, 2007
Omo Eko:

Na fast fast we go eat or garri and groundnut lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue

Na fast food I prefer  grin Na why i talk say,im dey better women no sabi cook than to cook rubbish  grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by naijaking1: 12:06am On Jun 11, 2007
@Imani

If the couple plans a traditional african family where the man works his ass off every day contributing his 100% to provide food for the family, the best the woman could do is at least try to learn how to bring the food on the table.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by OmoEko1(f): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2007
Why are people making a big deal about this cook thing self angry angry

My # one problem about cooking is

SALTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, so i don't even bother myself cooking.

If i want to eat Naija food, my mum will cook that for me cool cool
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 12:10am On Jun 11, 2007
naijaking1:

If the couple plans a traditional african family where the man works his ass off every day contributing his 100% to provide food for the family, the best the woman could do is at least try to learn how to bring the food on the table.

Many women expect the man to "bring home the bacon"Lord knows,Nigerian women are notorious for this,we might as well ask,"can you cook it"?
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Imani(f): 12:11am On Jun 11, 2007
naijaking1:

@Imani

Who does that these days? shocked The costs and standard of living is a lot higher these days for a man to be the sole bread winner.

Seriously, will you allow your wife to be a housewife and just do housework all day for the rest of her life? [s]considering must men want to marry female graduates[/s].
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by naijaking1: 12:16am On Jun 11, 2007
I agree with you Imani, but I mean a variation on a theme of the traditional concept. You know I'm not referring to a pre-Things Fall Apart society. If there a reasonable reciprocal variation between bread winning and bread making, then you'd understand that it really doesn't matter who wins the loaf and who bakes it.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Imani(f): 12:25am On Jun 11, 2007
naijaking1:

I agree with you Imani, but I mean a variation on a theme of the traditional concept. You know I'm not referring to a pre-Things Fall Apart society. If there a reasonable reciprocal variation between bread winning and bread making, then you'd understand that[b] it really doesn't matter who wins the loaf and who bakes it.[/b]

Exactly!!!

That is what i have been trying to say that my mouth hand began to ache grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 12:28am On Jun 11, 2007
Why are people making a big deal about this cook thing sef

Its safer and healthier.Imagine,taking a trip somewhere. . .your wife is left at home with the kids and she can't even cook.What are my kids going to eat ? fast food?

Personally,I don't care about the cooking bit but I would prefer ,for the sake of my kids at least,if we could both cook.Healthier for everyone grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by ghettochyk(f): 12:32am On Jun 11, 2007
naijaking1:

I agree with you Imani, but I mean a variation on a theme of the traditional concept. You know I'm not referring to a pre-Things Fall Apart society. If there a reasonable reciprocal variation between bread winning and bread making, then you'd understand that it really doesn't matter who wins the loaf and who bakes it.

thank you, glad some other male here is getting it. and for "others" who don't, good luck. wink
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by OmoEko1(f): 12:34am On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

Its safer and healthier.Imagine,taking a trip somewhere. . .your wife is left at home with the kids and she can't even cook.What are my kids going to eat ? fast food?

Personally,I don't care about the cooking bit but I would prefer ,for the sake of my kids at least,if we could both cook.Healthier for everyone grin
She can hire someone to cook for her undecided undecided undecided

I
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Imani(f): 12:45am On Jun 11, 2007
A major benefit of cooking apart from being safer and healthier as already suggested is the fact that it is cheaper. It is a lot cheaper to cook that to eat out or do take aways, even more so, in this era of ogranic and genetically modified food.

It is important for a woman or a man to at least learn to do some basic cooking of a narrow range of meals if possible. There are lots of recipe books to be used that is where creativity comes in. No one is a custodian of knowledge so learning from books can also be helpful.  But then Oga Iman may complain that the "trial" food is not well cooked. undecided
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by naijaking1: 12:50am On Jun 11, 2007
@all

Most men would not mind sitting at home with the kids while madam go to work, just like some the African American men I know, "what's wrong with her working, buying my beer and cigarettes, carrying the pregnancy, and leaving me with some pocket money to hang out, if she chooses to do so"

My friend said he would cook, and possibly wax the kitchen x3 before she returns from work.
Honestily, every couple should be allowed to swing to either end of the traditional marriage pendulum as they choose.
My friend's wife now fights to stay at home and cook, because she thought she was missing out on all the action, and was getting considerably older more quickly.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by kenechi22(m): 12:52am On Jun 11, 2007
Seun why re u talkn like this.For a woman not to know hw to cook is it not bad so u prefer eating outside.I bow for ur reasoning oh if na so u det reason
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by chrysler(m): 1:06am On Jun 11, 2007
For God`s sakes, as for me and my belly,i no go fit marry lady wey no go know hw to cook otherwise she no different frm just girlfriend wey i fit just pick for outside and take go mama put go chop.

In the alternative, after i don marry am, we will teach ourselves and i hope she ll learn because after i struggle go get money for us to chop for house, her sole aim is to provide food with the money for the family.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by chrysler(m): 1:07am On Jun 11, 2007
abi, shikena
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Nobody: 4:20am On Jun 11, 2007
A grown-up girl in this part of the world who can't cook, is most likely one not brought up properly. Not a complete woman. End of story!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by iice(f): 6:00am On Jun 11, 2007
Not complete in what way? undecided
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Cactus(m): 7:07am On Jun 11, 2007
if the guy cannot cook and his blaming a girl or complaining about a girl that cannot cook, well its a shame. these days, each person is equally responsible for his or her welfare.

Just because a girl cannot cook doesnt mean a guy should dump a girl. THough it would be great to have a girl that can cook but if your girl cannot cook and u have a wonderful relationship, that is great.

Likewise, u can stay with a girl that can cook and have a bad relationship.

Obviously, the critical issue is not cooking. It is more about understanding and creating a good atmosphere for both parties to grow.

Guys were bachelors before marrying, they cooked for themselves or fastfood themselves before marrying. so why not continue the same trend of cooking or fastfooding if ur girl cannot cook. or hire a chef as someone previously recommended.

Cooking is not a major issue

Problem Statement : Girl in a relationship cannot cook.
Solution : guy cook urself
fastfood
hire a chef
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by ghettochyk(f): 7:16am On Jun 11, 2007
iice:

Not complete in what way? undecided
i think he means that she has boobs but no Vagina, or something like that. but maybe as she starts learning, her D**K or wateva is in place of her pussy will start depleting and when the cooking actually starts getting good, the pussy will start to form.

I see that as this thread grows, more and more similar views start to show up. I guess it's they why most of these men that think a woman aint good for marriage if she can't cook were brought up in homes where that mentality was advocated for. The last time i checked, this is the 21st century. i don't think Nigeria is still a hunting and gathering society. turn on your lights and stop living in the dark ages. but then again, NEPA aint really helping much in dat area. well, do watch you gotta do and lighten up.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 8:17am On Jun 11, 2007
Haaaaa  Seun, I have fallen head over heels in love with you!  kiss   kiss

Are you married? You are the man after my own heart!   kiss   kiss

Seun, will you marry me?  kiss   kiss
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 8:20am On Jun 11, 2007
Gullible women! grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by ojuvester: 8:26am On Jun 11, 2007
Guys, let us give  lady's who cant cook a break, because they cant cook does not make them less a woman, they should be supported and at all  times encouraged.So if as a man you marry a woman that cant cook and you can, please teach her and dont condemn.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 8:30am On Jun 11, 2007
Many times its not a question of whether a woman can cook or not.

Most Nigerian women can cook. Most nigerian men can cook also. wink

The question is who actually does the cooking. grin

My stance on the issue is that since me and my husband are going to share the financial responsibility in the family (i.e. we both support the family financially), then we would also share household chores.

My husband would cook breakfast on weekdays, and lunch and dinner on weekends. And I would cook lunch and dinner on weekdays and breakfast on weekends. Chikena! grin

We would also share cleaning and laundry in the house. grin

The only thing we wouldn't share is childbirth, since I can't impregnate him. grin

Every other thing will be fifty-fifty! tongue
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 8:34am On Jun 11, 2007
If a man insists that I do all the cooking, then he should not complain when I keep my paycheck to myself and spend all my money on jewelry, clothes and frivolities! grin grin

If he wants me to be his servant/slave, then he should be ready to foot all the bills in the house, including my lingerie! grin grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 8:46am On Jun 11, 2007
We are not talking about sharing cooking responsiblities.We are talking about women who can't cook for sh*t.

Just picture that.Your life partner can't cook.This is someone you are going to spend the rest of your life with and who you will raise kids together with.

Someone was blithering about the "backwardness" in demanding that a woman knows how to cook.For goodness sake,most women in the Western world know how to cook.It is important for a variety of reasons,primarily health, that you can cook .
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:46am On Jun 11, 2007
Well, I TRUST my colleagues in Naija. Make una shine una eyes well bo. For girlfriend - anything goes as per cooking. For wife and mother of kids - no cooking, forget it!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Razorr(f): 8:57am On Jun 11, 2007
I-man angry , look, is it a cook you want to marry or a life partner? angry

Like Seun said, if you need a cook, employ one!

There are more important things in marriage besides food. Companionship and friendship are the most important factors in marriege.

You want to marry someone you can grow old with and still be fond of. Someone you can share memories with in your old age on your rocking chairs.

Typical african men, all you think of is food! angry Then after your wife has cooked the food to make you happy at home, you would still go outside to chase pretty girls to have fun with.

Nonsense! angry
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:01am On Jun 11, 2007
Razorr:

Every other thing will be fifty-fifty! tongue

Okay, when the not-too-common event of "honey wake up! did you hear that sound downstairs, it seems there's something moving in the basement", are you ready to take turns?  grin

How about opening doors for the lady? 50-50 implies opening doors for the man too!  grin

On the wedding day: the groom carries the bride for 2 minutes; the bride does exactly the same for the groom.  grin

Home improvement: I do the wirings in the basement; you do the wirings in the attic.  grin

Last name: they create a double-barreled last name. Or, use one name for x number of years then keep alternating. Or half the kids use one name and the other half use another name. Tufiakwa!  angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22)

Tope Mark-Odigie: Your Husband Has Right To Do Whatever He Wants With Your Body / Kenyan Man Builds Wife A House, Gifts Her Iphone 13 Pro Max On Her Birthday / True Story Of How Women Get Their Husbands Into Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.