Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,046 members, 7,970,239 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 12:52 AM

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace (12942 Views)

Poll: Do you like AGBADA dress code for International gathering?

YES, I DO: 52% (58 votes)
NO, NOT AT ALL: 19% (21 votes)
IT IS BASED ON ONE'S DESIRE: 28% (31 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Nigeria Is Bigger Than Any Politicians / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 11:22am On Jul 11, 2007
grin LOL!! denex i never thot the day would come when u would make me laugh.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 11:42am On Jul 11, 2007
Don't mind me O! I'm just pointing out the truth. By the way, who even started this thread? I think in was meant to read:

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Thing of Grace.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by angel101(f): 11:48am On Jul 11, 2007
denex:

Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Thing of Grace.

Much more appropriate
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by pek(m): 12:16pm On Jul 11, 2007
cant we be abit formal and not odd?
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 12:20pm On Jul 11, 2007
Odd? Or do you mean unique. Or do you mean special.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by vikisAngel: 12:29pm On Jul 11, 2007
are u not proud of ur culture?what else do u want him 2 weasr 2 portray our 2ru leader
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Ifeniyi22(m): 12:51pm On Jul 11, 2007
I think we need to know where to draw the line with the way we imitate the western world.I don't see anything wrong with Yar'adua wearing his beautiful white agbada at any function even it is the G8 meeting.
Besides are we saying he doesn't have the right to freedom of choice
whats up with the comparison about Bush, Mbeki and the rest? They can wear whatever they feel like wearing as long as they are comfortable and it doesn't disturb them from performing their duties as presidents effectively and until the anti-agbadas, formal dresses seeking kolomentalists can prove that the agbada hinders our president from using his mental faculty they should PLEASE LEAVE HIM ALONE
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by tasiana(m): 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2007
I like his Agbada,dnt see nothing wrong with it,its our culture and our way of dressing and i dnt see why we shld diss it cos we want to look westernised.
i think he looks cool in it just like i wnt mind an Igbo president wearing isiagu with red cap and even a feather on the cap nor will i mind a yoruba president with buba and shokoto with a bale cap to go with it. portrays who we re and we shld love and appreciate it.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by deor03(m): 4:32pm On Jul 11, 2007
yaradua looks  wonderful in his agbada.  you can imagine how obasanjo would have looked in a suit. thanks to agbada he could look presentable.
apart from that,  suit does not  represent any culture in nigeria.

we need to create an identity for ourselves. we would be one of the  top 20 biggest economies by 2020. so we need to create the identity now,
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2007
As Yaradua landed for the G8 meeting from his presidential aircracft; a guy standing behind me at the airport said
" these men have come with their parachute again" he was refering to the agbada. grin grin
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 11, 2007
Rowlandwhy I agree with you wholeheartedly.
A man is always judged first by his appearance before he ever opens his mouth and when one stands out by way of dressing,it's not always an advantage,it may infact be a great disadvantage.

No one is against our trado wears but when it comes to international meetings and tours,these people ought to leave those agbadas at home. we have imbibed several Oyibo ways already and wearing a suit will not take out the Nigerian in a Nigerian.

We wear suits at wedding,suits to job interviews,suits to most formal ocassions.
Anyone here in the States knows our flamboyant outfits can be a bit of a distraction when worn in some places,our leaders ought not to be identified by their outfits,it's not necessary.

When I watched interviews with OBJ on CSPAN when he visited here,he would have looked a tad more intelligent if he wore a suit and tie.
Wearing those babarigas and ever throwing the sleeves over the shoulders coupled with talking so unintelligently made him look like a slowpoke.

If anyone has seen and listened to the Zambian top shots,they'll understand that we need to learn a whole lot from them on how to appear in an international meeting and we are not more African than they are.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 11, 2007
Suit is a universal mens dressing .Nigeria is made of many ethnicities and agbadas are not common to us all.
I have nothing against it but I don't believe Yaradua or goodluck should wear agbada or the long Rivers oufit with chain and plain george wrapper when visiting the white house.

We can say all we want,appearance and presentation matters a lot.
What goes through your minds when you see those arabs with turbans flowing outfits and long beard,you immediately think "alqueda"
We don't want our leaders labelled as walking parachutes,that affects us all.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:59pm On Jul 11, 2007
It's amazing how ashamed Nigerians are of themselves and their culture.

Now they are even looking down at their own mode of dressing all in the name of trying to look like the white man. You people are ridiculous

Why dont you ask the Dalai Lama to wear a monkey suit when he travels to other countries.

Pathetic.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 6:00pm On Jul 11, 2007
babyosisi:

No one is against our trado wears but when it comes to international meetings and tours,these people ought to leave those agbadas at home. we have imbibed several Oyibo ways already and wearing a suit will not take out the Nigerian in a Nigerian.

why should it depend on when and where? our traditional wear is part of our identity, nothing wrong with our leaders wearing them, yes we have become western in some ways, but what i say is wearing trado , why the hell not?

babyosisi:

We wear suits at wedding,suits to job interviews,suits to most formal ocassions.
Anyone here in the States knows our flamboyant outfits can be a bit of a distraction when worn in some places,our leaders ought not to be identified by their outfits,it's not necessary.

IT IS A VERY WELCOME DISTRACTION IF YOU ASK ME.  you think it is , i don't think so it is not about what they wear rather the quality of words that come out their mouths when abroad, i am not worried if they wear the biggest agbada, as long as they are eloquent and represent us well and never kiss ass.

babyosisi:

When I watched interviews with OBJ on CSPAN when he visited here,[b]he would have looked a tad more intelligent if he wore a suit and tie.[/b]Wearing those babarigas and ever throwing the sleeves over the shoulders coupled with talking so unintelligently made him look like a slowpoke.

is this for real or am i in some beer filled rave? you what!!!!!!!! he would have looked more intelligent in suit and tie? no no no please i won't say any more just think about that statement.
this is the very same mentality that gets any gimp in a suit and tie a job in Big companies in Nigeria, my brother works for the united nations and he told me in Harare where he is based white people who just come from England and Ireland dressed up looking the part get jobs, there was a scandal about this issue because they looked and talked the part and yet half a dozen of them were found to have had fake degrees.

NOTE: it is not about what you wear or how you look, if you see my bro on your local streets you would think he was a small boy with no job, yet he has over 100 people working under him in Harare. dressing means shit, drop that mentality
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2007
BE proud of yourselves for Godsakes angry. thesame people spill this garbage would scream of discrimination abroad, of how we are not treated fairly, you people have a human right to wear what you want and you here babbling, i am so so ashamed
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 6:06pm On Jul 11, 2007
back again this topic has got me on my soap box and i ain't done yet grin
topic= Dress code of Nigerian politicians a disgrace. I SAY THERE IS NO DRESS CODE, LET THEM ROCK WHAT THEY WANT,
SHIT  look at fela he rocked pant on stage and westerners still love him grin
ok i am off my soap box bye
seriously though have some pride in[b] US[/b]
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:07pm On Jul 11, 2007
My parents wear native wherever i feel like it. For my graduation, my sister's graduation, anything we had to do in school or whatever, if they felt like wearing native they wore it and foreigners constantly compliment them especially since they are all about pretty colors and still looking important. wink

The fact that some Nigerians in the name of SHAME would rather dress like some smurf in the name of looking "intelligent" is hilarious. Yardua graduated as a chemist, right? Who wants to bet Bush and his suits arent half as smart as the guy? Bush is known as being a major idiot around the globe even with his suit so what damn difference does it make? Nonsense

Gosh this thread is so embarrassing.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by denex: 6:07pm On Jul 11, 2007
Somebody asked about the Arab diplomats in their flowing gowns. They definitely look respectable.

Someone else talked about our traditional outfit distracting attention from us. I think quite opposite. I believe it even draws more attention to us.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 6:10pm On Jul 11, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

The fact that some Nigerians in the name of SHAME would rather dress like some smurf in the name of looking "intelligent" is hilarious. Yardua graduated as a chemist, right? Who wants to bet Bush and his suits arent half as smart as the guy? Bush is known as being a major idiot around the globe even with his suit so what damn difference does it make? Nonsense

Gosh this thread is so embarrassing.

tell me about it. right smurfs. this is why i say half of the suit and tie wearing bosses GIMPS in Nigerian companies are not fit to run a beer palour
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Oracle(m): 6:33pm On Jul 11, 2007
If Yar'adua had worn a suit, i think people will still say that he wants to dress like the white guys. People can never be satisfied. thatz why itz best to do what you really wanna do and forget about what people will say.

Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2007
instead of worrying about what they hold in private accounts they here crying rivers over babarigas and agbadas. abeg there are pressing issues close to home
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by DisGuy: 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2007
Okonji Iweala** wears her traditional cloth and her headgear to many international conferences, i don't see people turning away from her undecided

Most Chinese diplomats/business people never speak English i don't see the the Americans turning away their products or engineering expertise

sometimes we waste so much energy and resources thinking of very little things, this is almost like the 'are cosmetic products made under-seas' thread to be honest
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Caradona(f): 7:26pm On Jul 11, 2007
@ TOPIC

Most of our Politicians don't do any exercise hence the traditional clothes will cover their shapeless bodies
I've seen Atiku in suits and it wasn't appealing. he looked like a rejected Circus Clown or Bald Penguin.
And OBJ looked like a sausage dog with a Tie and Ojukwu looked like Flies were glued to his chin
On the other hand, Pres Bush goes jogging every morning and he looks good in suits.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kulaShaker(f): 7:36pm On Jul 11, 2007
lol oh men! the wit is endless
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by romeo(m): 9:25pm On Jul 11, 2007
this is Nigeria please and enough of all this suits and tie under hot sun grin grin grin
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by isho: 9:31pm On Jul 11, 2007
thanks for doing justice to the subject matter. kudos to Nigeria leaders for displaying our culture no matter the gathering or forum. If some of you who have taken the reactionist view on our leaders mode of dressing among comity of leaders around the world, you should deviate from colonial mentality lets do things in our own way. Nigeria belong to few chosen black nation that has not allowed western stlye of dressing overide is homegrown attire. Suit may be formal to white man but are we white at all, if werent, lets embrace our local dress the more and stop massaging and bootlicking our fellow western brothers in any form. Bravo to Yar'adua and predecesor on their effrontory in carrying our culture to the overseas.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by kcjazz(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2007
I personally admire Madam Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and her traditional attires. The international community respects her for her intelligence and hardwork. The same goes for Madam Oby Ezekwesili.

Proud of my Africaness!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by pilgrim1(f): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2007
Why is it out of place? Personally, I think it adds colour to an international outing.

[img]http://www.g-8.de/Content/DE/FotoDownload/G8/3Gipfeltag/AllgemeinesFamilienfoto/03-g8-gruppenfoto-mit-den-afrika-outreach-vertretern-und-den-outreach-vertretern-o5,property=poster.jpg[/img]
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by pilgrim1(f): 9:47pm On Jul 11, 2007
Come to think of it: I don't know if I've ever seen OBJ in suits since 1999.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ECgx-0Z7EpF2OM:http://tinypic.com/jqrnrk.jpg[/img]
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by superman(m): 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2007
there u have it

follish nigerians

still me!
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Pappy: 11:36pm On Jul 11, 2007
Agbada should stay! We don't have to copy other people.
Re: Dress Code Of Nigerian Policians: A Disgrace by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 11, 2007
Dressing up in suits is their official attire, dressing up in Babanrigas is our own official attire. If they do not take us serious for dressing in Babanrigas, we should not take them serious for wearing suits.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman / We Can't fully Implement The N6.6trillion Budget: SGF / PDP Blows Hot Over Alleged Harassment Of Atiku, Warns Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.