Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,856 members, 7,906,159 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:22 AM

My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name (4719 Views)

My Wife DOES NOT WORK !!! Conversation Between A Husband And A Psychologist / My Husband Does Not Want Me To Work / Help Me, I Want To Bear My Own Children! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by semid4lyfe(m): 8:16pm On Jan 27, 2011
Also very liberal, . . . . . . .
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by dayokanu(m): 9:02pm On Jan 27, 2011
Why didnt she just marry someone who has the same maiden name as her?

Did you guys discuss this before getting married or NOT?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by queensmith: 9:05pm On Jan 27, 2011
why should the fact she doesnt want your name reflect on your marriage? its a choice! im sure you discussed this before you married

its certainly not a big deal- she hasnt refused to wear the ring, she isnt galavanting as if she isnt marrried- she just simply wants to keep her name
respect that decision and stop acting as if its the end of the world im sure there are more important things to be thnking about that getting hypertension over a name!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 9:28pm On Jan 27, 2011
queensmith:

why should the fact she doesnt want your name reflect on your marriage? its a choice! im sure you discussed this before you married

its certainly not a big deal- she hasnt refused to wear the ring, she isnt galavanting as if she isnt marrried- she just simply wants to keep her name
respect that decision and stop acting as if its the end of the world im sure there are more important things to be thnking about that getting hypertension over a name!

It sure will. There should be trust in marriages and refusing to adopt his last name as culture and tradition  requires will make him think that she has other plans besides their relationship. How will he trust her with everything he has when she is acting like someone who is ready to dump him for another man or woman?.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 27, 2011
You must be joking,
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by otokx(m): 10:50pm On Jan 27, 2011
There seems to be more to this.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by samtoye(m): 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2011
Its such an irony where most African women would readily downgrade the traditonal marriage values as achaic and oppressive but still want to hold on the the traditional sanctmony of marriage. They have forgotten that under such values their parents lived and thrived together in matrimonial bliss.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by WackyJ1(m): 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
Bearing your husbands name means you have joined with him to become one and have accepted him as the head( this is something modern day women have a problem with). Keeping your fathers name is like being on a fence, unwilling to leave your father and join your husband and yet wanting the benefits of a married life
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by freshera: 1:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
samtoye:

Its such an irony where most African women would readily downgrade the traditonal marriage values as achaic and oppressive but still want to hold on the the traditional sanctmony of marriage. They have forgotten that under such values their parents lived and thrived together in matrimonial bliss.

What matrimonial bliss are you talking about? Is it for just one side only? Abegii. Why do you think some African women are naturally bitter and harsh and most are witches (dem plentiiiiiiiii)? Please face facts.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by dayokanu(m): 6:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
You know African would even go beyond the people they learnt it from.

When most Oyinbos even adopt their husbands name

If Margareth thatcher, Hilary clinton, Michelle Obama, Victoria Beckham can adopt their husbands name and most were not even hyphenated I really wonder for our Naija women ooo
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 28, 2011
Not everyone changes their names. Some of my friends haven't changed their names and their husbands don't find it offensive or anything. OP should've discussed it prior to marriage.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by NAJALYN: 7:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
What are you implying, that your wife is bearing her maiden name alongside your's, or she is not bearing your name at all? If she is bearing her maiden name alongside your's, it is allowed. If she is not bearing your name at all, then you should have reported this to your inlaws from the onset of the marriage. Why agree to marry you at all if she loathes your name so much? The problem should have been adressed & corrected long before now. Now, 7 years after your marriage, you are protesting the issue. You need to revert back to your inlaws & your own family to settle the problem. There is no other way since your wife has refused to cooperate with you. But first discuss it with her again before going out. It is wrong to allow the situation to remain as it is. Good luck.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 5:06pm On Jan 31, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Tradition and culture demands she adopts his name after marriage besides, it helps the family unit maintain one last name. Not husband is Adelaja, wife is Ademola and their children have Akinade and Ogunlesi as their last names.

Culture demands a lot of things, not all of them feasible. One just has to find a right blend and know what works. She wants her name, as an independent human being, she has that right. Any right thinking man, who does not have trust issues or even issues generally will not see it as a big deal.

WackyJ1:

Why did you bother to reply. See how she turned marriage to slavery and men to cavemen because of a simple change of name. She might be a feminist

It is with due respect I say, wahala ile aye e niyen.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by dayokanu(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2011
spikedcylinder:

Culture demands a lot of things, not all of them feasible. One just has to find a right blend and know what works. She wants her name, as an independent human being, she has that right. Any right thinking man, who does not have trust issues or even issues generally will not see it as a big deal.

Examples of which are not feasible? Name change is just the norm when getting married
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by skyenoor: 5:28pm On Jan 31, 2011
@ Aloy Emeka, I'm a realist. In life we don't know what tomorrow will bring and I apply the same principle to everything I do. I'm not saying I want to get divorced or I wish for for it but I am not living and refuse to live in a fairy tale world where I expect the rest of my life to be a happily ever after. Despite problems I've faced in my marriage, I can still proudly say that I've got 8+ years under my belt.
So don't go trying to read a whole lot of meaning into my statements and please GET OFF MY BACK! It's like you enjoy trying to poke holes or find fault with things I say. Jeez!!!  Angry

Plsm23, easy does it. Some people do have a habit of rubbing one up the wrong way on this forum. I encountered a rather uncouth brother earlier on today myself. Have a great day.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by skyenoor: 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2011
Greetings, in the grand scheme of things, would a man divorce his wife simply because she has not taken his last name?
Forgive me for being myopic, but I don't think so. Furthermore, I do not think that taking a man's surname is a prerequisite for a successful marriage.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by aloyemeka1: 7:52pm On Jan 31, 2011
spikedcylinder:

True but name change is very very feasible. I don't see why the man is accused of having trust issues when the woman is the one who gave him the reason to be insecure. If Wale visits whorehouses and strip clubs everyday and his wife complains that he may be doing some nasty things there and he claims that she has trust issues and that is why she is complaining, will you agree with him?.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 2:06pm On Feb 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Examples of which are not feasible? Name change is just the norm when getting married

It's the norm, according to who?

aloy/emeka:

True but name change is very very feasible. I don't see why the man is accused of having trust issues when the woman is the one who gave him the reason to be insecure. If Wale visits whorehouses and strip clubs everyday and his wife complains that he may be doing some nasty things there and he claims that she has trust issues and that is why she is complaining, will you agree with him?.

How is holding on to one's sense of individuality in the same league as going to strip clubs? Ok. Let her start bearing his name but start going to male strip clubs as well. Will that pay him better? Apples and oranges.
She's wearing his ring, she's committed to him and the marriage and she loves him. Asking her to give up her name, in my opinion is stifling especially as she doesn't want to.
Some people even go as far as saying their wives must not even hyphenate. A name that SHE bears and SHE carries around.
I don't get it.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by WackyJ1(m): 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2011
The name the woman wants to keep is her father's, the most important man in her life,  Now she's married, she should don the name of the current most important man in her life, all things being equal. She should remember that she couldn't have kept this name she trying to keep if her mother didn't accept to change to her husbands name
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by dayokanu(m): 5:20pm On Feb 01, 2011
How would a woman be married and want to still go with her fathers name?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 11:12am On Feb 02, 2011
WackyJ1:

The name the woman wants to keep is her father's, the most important man in her life,  Now she's married, she should don the name of the current most important man in her life, all things being equal.

Wrong! A woman's father - before or after marriage - is not necessarily the most important man in her life. There are women born to alcoholic, runaway fathers who still have to bear his name.

WackyJ1:

She should remember that she couldn't have kept this name she trying to keep if her mother didn't accept to change to her husbands name

Flawed. If her mother kept her maiden name, it doesn't mean that the children will not bear their father's name.
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 11:16am On Feb 02, 2011
dayokanu:

Welcome to twenty helehun. tongue
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 02, 2011
dayokanu:

Why would a man want a woman to pay for their wedding tongue
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 02, 2011
dayokanu:

If she spent part of her money on the whole wedding ceremony thingy ,then she has a right to keep her papa's name
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by meexteriox(m): 1:04pm On Feb 02, 2011
Marriage demands so much, even name changing on the woman part. It's either she bears her maiden name alongside
her husband name or she bears the husband's name. I don't understand it when women begin to throw up issues that could bring
discomfort to both parties, what is the essence of the marriage then?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2011
jennykadry:

If she spent part of her money on the whole wedding ceremony thingy ,then she has a right to keep her papa's name

Tell them my sister . . .  cool  cool  cool

These men they want to eat their cake and have it. They waste no time to quote 'tradition' when it suits them and when it comes to money, they remember women empowerment! SMH!  undecided
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 02, 2011
meexteriox:

Marriage demands so much, even name changing on the woman part. It's either she bears her maiden name alongside
her husband name or she bears the husband's name. I don't understand it when women begin to throw up issues that could bring
discomfort to both parties, what is the essence of the marriage then?

There is no law that says a woman must bear a man's name. It's a decision that should be left at the discretion of both parties. Tradition has made it that the woman takes the man's name because we believe he 'goes to marry the woman'. But in recent times when they both marry each other (on in some cases, the woman marries the man), things like this should be revised IMHO! cool
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 02, 2011
Ujujoan:

Tell them my sister . . .  cool  cool  cool

These men they want to eat their cake and have it. They waste no time to quote 'tradition' when it suits them and when it comes to money, they remember women empowerment! SMH!  undecided

That is the way I see it. If a woman helped the man sponsor the wedding, then she has a right to certain decisions cheesy , if I was still single, I will send a packaged slap to any man that wants me to change my father's name after I used my own hard earned money to buy the cartons of star, gulder, maltina,coke,mirinda,amstel malt,small/big stout, harp e.t.c we used on our wedding day angry angry and a death warrant will be issued if I went further to buy the Nama(Cow) we used as well angry

Now back to the traditional thingy,If a man proposed to a woman, and wants her to come live with him, that man has to 100% cater for her., a womans money shouldn't come in at all.No sane man(yes dayo isn't tongue)will wait on his wife's paycheck every fortnight/month to make ends meet.

I love my career and even with my career I still tif from baba kadry. cool  .Lol just reminded me of sthg that happened recently, I actually took ten dollars from his wallet embarassed (you know how our(we women) hands itch naaa embarassed The dude seized something of mine and told me to give him back his money or lose the thingy, anyways we finally came to an agreement, I agreed to pay him back installmentally for a period of 10months at 1dollar per month cool

Am I going to tif again, YES but I need to step up my game from 10 dollars to 15 cool
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 02, 2011
dayokanu:

normal but is there a law guiding it?
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2011
jennykadry:

That is the way I see it. If a woman helped the man sponsor the wedding, then she has a right to certain decisions cheesy , if I was still single, I will send a packaged slap to any man that wants me to change my father's name after I used my own hard earned money to buy the cartons of star, gulder, maltina,coke,mirinda,amstel malt,small/big stout, harp e.t.c we used on our wedding day angry angry and a death warrant will be issued if I went further to buy the Nama(Cow) we used as well angry

Now back to the traditional thingy,If a man proposed to a woman, and wants her to come live with him, that man has to 100% cater for her., a womans money shouldn't come in at all.No sane man(yes dayo isn't tongue)will wait on his wife's paycheck every fortnight/month to make ends meet.

I love my career and even with my career I still tif from baba kadry. cool  .Lol just reminded me of sthg that happened recently, I actually took ten dollars from his wallet embarassed (you know how our(we women) hands itch naaa embarassed The dude seized something of mine and told me to give him back his money or lose the thingy, anyways we finally came to an agreement, I agreed to pay him back installmentally for a period of 10months at 1dollar per month cool

Am I going to tif again, YES but I need to step up my game from 10 dollars to 15 cool

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin

After I saw the thread on NL about 'taking' from your hubby, I asked my bf if I could take his money when ever I wanted without him seeing it as stealing, he was like 'of course, what's mine is yours' . . . But somehow since then, I've not seen his wallet lying around like before! All the usual places he used to keep money have now gone 'dry' . . . agbaya! angry angry

Honestly sometimes the way these NL men think really really surprises me (yes Dayo too oh). Imagine comparing a woman's financial responsibility in the family to that of a man's. There should be no comparison at all. If he doesn't have money to take care of me as his wife, he should leave me to keep drinking garri with my family. shikena!
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by spikedcylinder: 2:42pm On Feb 02, 2011
LWKMD!!!! Jenny and Uju, una be armed robbers. grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: My Wife Does Not Want To Bear My Name by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 02, 2011
Lol cheesy cheesy cheesy

There is love in sharing na . . . wink cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Some Ladies Fake Virginity? / What To Do To My Househelp? / Your Wedding Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.