Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,287 members, 7,887,835 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:53 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (409897 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by steo: 6:31am On Apr 24, 2011
@ Juliet33

The floor size of my project (duplex and three bed apt) and your project floor size may be the same or close enough. I don't know how many rooms are in your duplex but mine is 5

Looking at your quotation, I can see great similarities between yours and mine. However, the amount of 12mm rods on your quotation is way greater than mine. I only used 1 ton of 12mm and a ton of 8mm for my GF. I did not make use of stonedust and my GF only consumed 151 bags of cement compare to your 208.

Anyways, I believe your high quantity of 12mm may be traced to your land being located in a water logged area. (I'm not an engineer). I am building in ajah area too but mine is not water logged.

In a nutshell, I believe your quotation is not bad but do look into that quantity of 12mm and cement.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nimshi: 7:15am On Apr 24, 2011
spyder: re your post #1460:

Roofing (and other building materials in the tropics) require a bit of thought, especially for energy-saving considerations; your post asks relevant questions. What we need in a roof is for it to be “cool”; and the coolness of a roof is measured by two properties: the thermal emittance and the solar reflectance of the roof. The one expresses the relative ability of the roof surface to radiate heat absorbed by the roof, and the latter expresses the fraction of solar energy that is reflected by the roof. There’s no way to avoid solar heat being absorbed by the roof and transferred to the building, but measures could be effected to minimize this. Insulation in the home (and the cost of air-conditioning) could be improved/reduced by a roof with high emittance and high reflectance.

At least one company in Nigeria has been moving towards this, achieving a “white roof” (it’s doubtful that green roofs could become popular in Nigeria, at least not at this time…). But, the stone time roofing needs to be scrutinized a bit: they’re certainly strong enough to withstand storms, and quite aesthetically pleasing. But are they the best with regards to energy considerations? Unless they’ve been specially treated, one is afraid this isn’t likely to be the case: stone tiles (as the ones on the roof of the pretty bungalow in the pictures) are good for climates like in Russia and close to the North pole and other wintry climes where sunshine isn’t always available, but the roof will most certainly increase the insulation load in a place like Lagos: higher ‘NEPA’ bills, plus a host of other ‘ungreen’ effects: adding to green house gas emisisons, adding to urban heat, and air quality reduction (among others). When spending a good sum, adding energy-saving considerations is marginally not a lot of work.

I wish we could discuss building homes that’re energy efficient; the roof is a major player here. But perhaps, a new thread will be needed for this?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kcoolk4: 7:42am On Apr 24, 2011
@ Nimshi. Thanks for bringing that up again. But as you rightly said/asked, I guess a new thread will be needed for that as well. This thread has come to stay as a reference in determining the real cost of building a six bedroom duplex. We are all learning from this thread. Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 10:00am On Apr 24, 2011
My tipper driver friend offloaded for me 3 trips of washed gravel that will be used for the decking works next week. Each trip was delivered at a cost of N19k, total N57,000. (the stream they go to get these stones is being affected by bad roads as a result of rainy season, the drivers has since topped their prices)
This will bring the total money spent so far to N 1,448,200.00.
By next week, I will pay for sharp sand.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 10:09am On Apr 24, 2011
@ juliet, what is the thickness of the german floor your engineer wants to lay? Is he going to make a decking type mat on the german floor hence all the rods? And this 50 pcs of 1x12x12 planks for a german floor, where else apart from the edges will he place the planks?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:38am On Apr 24, 2011
They finished the roof today
I don't really have much time to snap around.
But I hope this pic say it all

Happy Easter 2u All!
SHALOM!!!!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 11:11am On Apr 24, 2011
Am Alone:

They finished the roof today
I don't really have much time to snap around.
But I hope this pic say it all

Happy Easter 2u All!
SHALOM!!!!

A big congratulations to you, more grease to your elbows. Happy easter!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 2:57pm On Apr 24, 2011
@Am Alone

Congratulations to you and your family on this great home of yours. The house looks marvellous and grounded. I have stopped construction on my house because I have learned a lot from you. It is actually the right thing to do and be there doing the negotiations and buying of materials by myself. You are able to achieve this milestone because of you being in Nigeria. I intend to find the time to come to Nigeria and complete my house. It is tough being far away from Nigeria while you have a project of that magnitude going on in Nigeria.

Am Alone & Spyder880 you have opened my eyes, so I don't have to keep throwing money away.
Happy Easter!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 24, 2011
@am alone; congratulations on roofing your house, Emi ti o bere e a pari re ni oruko Jesu

Carry on the good work. It is well. BTW it looks lovely smiley
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 4:59pm On Apr 24, 2011
Spyder - Thanku
Payless - Thank2
Chaircover - Thank2
More grease 2yours 2
in all u do!
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by coss75: 5:53pm On Apr 24, 2011
Am Alone:

Spyder - Thanku
Payless - Thank2
Chaircover - Thank2
More grease 2yours 2
in all u do!
Peace

CONGRATULATIONS, am happy for you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2011
^Thank2
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Davedavy: 8:49am On Apr 25, 2011
@ spyder,am alone

Wonderful job you guys are doing?i have learnt a lot frm this thread and still learning smiley

i am trying to calculate the amount of cement I will need to set 4000 blocks, from your experience how many bags /50kg of cement do you think I will need?
I am thinking 40 bags should be enough, but I need your advice.
I am getting myself prepared for my project when I travel to Naija later this year.
Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:28am On Apr 25, 2011
@ Davedavy,

I will say it all depends on the ratio at which you want to mix your cement
The required is 1 bag to 12 head-pan of sand. And again it also
depends on the type of blocks you are using. You see 9" block consume
more cement than 6" block. If you are setting 4000 blocks, and they are all
6". 40 bags of cement should be enough.

Peace!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:42am On Apr 25, 2011
@ All,
I am planning to go and buy my security doors this Thursday.
I have being making some esquires and was told the best
place to get security doors here in Lagos is Mushin!
I have got a contact of one Mr. Biola that sells this doors in Mushin
and have also been told that the spanish security doors
sell for around 40k plus for the 3ft door and 60k plus of the 4ft door.
though I learn there are some 4ft doors that sells for as much as
120 to 150k. They are mostly bullet proof. And is always fit for entrance.

I am not saying those that cannot afford security doors should not build their houses oo!!!!
Anyways, I have said it before. The China onces is also very good and solid. And for the 4ft doors,
I was told you can get it for less than 38k. It helps beautify your house as well. and is very
secured too. Just shine your eyes when buying these doors. Again I was told by another engineer
that I can get the China once for 25k to 28k for the 4ft security. But I believe it all depends
some are much finer and much stronger than others. So it all depends on what you want!!!
Peace!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mattrose(m): 1:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
Payless,

Congrats Payless on your house construction. Hopefully you will get started again soon. I'm back in North carolina in Morrisville. What part of ninja you from? Maybe we can get together sometime.

payless:

@Am Alone

Congratulations to you and your family on this great home of yours. The house looks marvellous and grounded. I have stopped construction on my house because I have learned a lot from you. It is actually the right thing to do and be there doing the negotiations and buying of materials by myself. You are able to achieve this milestone because of you being in Nigeria. I intend to find the time to come to Nigeria and complete my house. It is tough being far away from Nigeria while you have a project of that magnitude going on in Nigeria.

Am Alone & Spyder880 you have opened my eyes, so I don't have to keep throwing money away.
Happy Easter!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 25, 2011
@mattrose

I'm from Lagos Island.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
I just called the so called Mr. Biola and he was telling to come over
that security doors have range and quality. He even mention that they have
some that sells for 250,000!!!!
I plan to use bullet proof door for my entrance to the house which is 4ft wide and 9" thick
and the kitchen door that lead to my backyard and plant to you another solid door there too the door is 4ft too!
but I can't decide now if it is going to be bullet proof or not!!!

If the prices are very reasonable, It will. I used 9" block through out my house - rooms and toilets
now I learnt I can get solid security door for 28k if it was to be 6" thick(the price is sure to come down)
but the 9" is very expensive. and I can get for 40k solid door(the price is sure to come down)
also, they have some of 12k to 15k. These doors are made with fiber and I don't think it can serve the purpose of security doors.

Overall I will say 5m can build you a standard 4bedroom bungalow to taste here in Lagos(table flat land and not water-log)
so do not be discouraged. However, if you are going for top-class stuffs
there is no define amount to how much you can spend on your house.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:46pm On Apr 25, 2011
Am Alone:

I just called the so called Mr. Biola and he was telling to come over
that security doors have range and quality. He even mention that they have
some that sells for 250,000!!!!
I plan to use bullet proof door for my entrance to the house which is 4ft wide and 9" thick
and the kitchen door that lead to my backyard and plant to you another solid door there too the door is 4ft too!
but I can't decide now if it is going to be bullet proof or not!!!

If the prices are very reasonable, It will. I used 9" block through out my house - rooms and toilets
now I learnt I can get solid security door for 28k if it was to be 6" thick(the price is sure to come down)
but the 9" is very expensive. and I can get for 40k solid door(the price is sure to come down)
also, they have some of 12k to 15k. These doors are made with fiber and I don't think it can serve the purpose of security doors.

Overall I will say 5m can build you a standard 4bedroom bungalow to taste here in Lagos(table flat land and not water-log)
so do not be discouraged. However, if you are going for top-class stuffs
there is no define amount to how much you can spend on your house.

True talk. cheesy cheesy
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:47pm On Apr 25, 2011
side view

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:49pm On Apr 25, 2011
more pictures

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:50pm On Apr 25, 2011
projections

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
behind the staircase

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
sitting room & dinning

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
under a room

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 2:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Am Alone, Can you tell me why u need a bullet proof door in naija?

Even though you are able to afford it. I for one will put my security in God's hand first because I believe that in Nigeria no one is 100% save if one's enemies remembers them.

Even banks with their bulletproof doors/saves get robbed on a daily basis.

Just guard your house against petty thieves and leave the rest to God. No go end up building a prison ooo with all these 'custom burlgary proof' and bullet proof doors o grin grin grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
Dennis Rodman grin grin grin

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 3:01pm On Apr 25, 2011
Demain_man:

Even though you are able to afford it. I for one will put my security in God's hand first because I believe that in Nigeria no one is 100% save if one's enemies remembers them.

Just guard your house against petty thieves and leave the rest to God. No go end up building a prison ooo with all these 'custom burlgary proof' and bullet proof doors o grin grin grin

Lol!!!
Except THE GOOD LORD GUIDETH, THE WATCH MAN WATCHETH IN VAIN!!!! --- OLUWA CHAMPION!!!!
Security doors is not a necessity. It is just like a luxury!
Anybody wey like am, and fit afford am fit go for am!!! -- No big deal!
Even if my entrance door no be bullet proof, e go need to dey very very solid!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:10pm On Apr 25, 2011
Demain_man:

You are correct, but the security door can delay them while I load my AK47s, UZI 224, Smith &Wesson 075, Double barelled Remington, Colt automatic grin grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:13pm On Apr 25, 2011
Am Alone:

Lol!!!
Except THE GOOD LORD GUIDETH, THE WATCH MAN WATCHETH IN VAIN!!!! --- OLUWA CHAMPION!!!!
Security doors is not a necessity. It is just like a luxury!
Anybody wey like am, and fit afford am fit go for am!!! -- No big deal!
Even if my entrance door no be bullet proof, e go need to dey very very solid!!!

Bros, which line of work you say you dey do sef grin the chasing type or the running type? (joking sha) grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 3:18pm On Apr 25, 2011
Where all these people that told me to wait, that building material reduce prices in the rainy season? una go pay me o! The rains has started falling and now cement is selling for N2400.00 in Enugu, and am yet to do my decking, mo gbe o!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 3:25pm On Apr 25, 2011
spyder880:

You are correct, but the security door can delay them while I load my AK47s, UZI 224, Smith &Wesson 075, Double barelled Remington, Colt automatic grin grin

That is if dem no dey wait for u as you dey drive in wif their superior firepower grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.