Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,913 members, 7,872,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:17 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (409537 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kcoolk4: 5:00pm On Apr 26, 2011
@mikedeoye, This your house is pretty. Just like Demain_man, I will like to know the reason why you chose that roof brand/type over others and the cost associated with it. Also, if you don't mind, can you give us estimate (or actual figure if you have it) of how much you spent at each stage of the construction?. Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 5:00pm On Apr 26, 2011
Demain_man:

@Mikedeoye, The roofing sheet looks like painted ZINC. Any particular reason why you chose it over longspan aluminium for example? Is it cheaper/costlier?

Demain_man, I don't think we should buy things because they are more expensive
I suggest we go for quality and not expensive. The fact that some things
are more expensive than others doesn't necessarily  means they are better.

I know that roof, it is not very common(maybe because it is more expensive)
someone once advised me to use it, but I refused, because I had my mind already
on stone coated tiles already.
The man that advice me to use that roof took me to a house where the roof was used
and it looks very lovely. They mixed it, wine and green or so. . . . It was mind-blowing
but it seems the brown isn't really the best!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 5:07pm On Apr 26, 2011
mikedeoye:

Thanks, i know and  i m really trying to curtail cost now but at same time not comprimise quality too much. I m directly involved in Buying of all my finishin now. I have my Governor's consent already and all omonile fees (those are already taken care of). I m not planning a security house for now.
I have made some enquiries on the Security doors and i'm already closing in on one company already for the supplies. We can compare notes when u come back from your maket survey in mushin tomorrow. What i have so far is taht an average  3ft Turkey security door is around 31k.

Mike,
I spoke with one Mr. Biola(sells security doors @ mushin) on phone and he told me a standard
security door of 3ft cost around 28k(not china) and it is for a 6" block. I used 9" blocks
through out my house, so I will be spending more on doors, since the 9" doors are much more
expensive. I think he told me around 45k or so(i will call him to confirm again).
He also told me for the 4ft, they have 120k to 250k. Depending on what I want and was urging
me to come and see for myself before I do any pricing. What I am going to do @ mushin market
tomorrow is to get a brand name which I will buy and also, to get more insight about the cost!
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 5:12pm On Apr 26, 2011
Demain_man:

@Mikedeoye, The roofing sheet looks like painted ZINC. Any particular reason why you chose it over longspan aluminium for example? Is it cheaper/costlier?

It's not painted Zinc. it is called onduline and made of Bitumen. The main reason i went for it is that i wanted something that gives a bit of sound proof when it rains, some cooling effect and not very expensive. The roof sheet with all the accessories (minus woods and labour) cost me around 1m (roof coverage is above 450sq metsr, roof height is 10). All though i had to pay VAT for the product.

The good thing abt this product is that when it rains, u hardly know when u are inside the house as the noise is reduced to the bearest minimum. Then it does not radiate so much heat compared to normal aluminimu sheet at the peak of the hot season. These are things i wanted in the roofing material for my house. The other material that gives these properties is the stoned coated aluminimum sheets but Onduline is not as expensive as the stone coated alu sheets. u can check their website on www.onduline.com
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 5:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
mikedeoye:

It's not painted Zinc. it is called onduline and made of Bitumen. The main reason i went for it is that i wanted something that gives a bit of sound proof when it rains, some cooling effect and not very expensive. The roof sheet with all the accessories (minus woods and labour) cost me around 1m (roof coverage is above 450sq metsr, roof height is 10). All though i had to pay VAT for the product.

The good thing abt this product is that when it rains, u hardly know when u are inside the house as the noise is reduced to the bearest minimum. Then it does not radiate so much heat compared to normal aluminimu sheet at the peak of the hot season. These are things i wanted in the roofing material for my house. The other material that gives these properties is the stoned coated aluminimum sheets but Onduline is not as expensive as the stone coated alu sheets. u can check their website on www.onduline.com

Apart from the aesthetics effect stone coated roof gives to my house
above are some of the reasons why I went for it!  cheesy

Mike I just called this boila guy again
and he told me the 3ft doors goes for 25k( turkey skin --- 25k)
and the normal ones goes for 19k
and for 4 feet doors, he said he can give me for 55k
though the expensive onces can cost as much as 120k oo
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 5:22pm On Apr 26, 2011
@Mikedeoye, Yeah, saw the website. They also do them in tiles but not longspan. I would go for the tiles or longspan(if there are) for the added beauty they will provide.

Anyways, your house big ooo. must have a very large family  grin like 2-3 wives and plenty kids grin grin grin grin

Congrats for the effort so far. may BABA GOD himself provide you with the 'OWO' to finish am.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2011
Demain_man:

@Mikedeoye, Yeah, saw the website. They also do them in tiles but not longspan. I would go for the tiles or longspan(if there are) for the added beauty they will provide.

Anyways, your house big ooo. must have a very large family grin like 2-3 wives and plenty kids grin grin grin grin

Congrats for the effort so far. may BABA GOD himself provide you with the 'OWO' to finish am.

Thanks for the prayer and i believe God for you too and every other person looking forward to God for similar project as well.

The house is big because i love to have my space. The other reason is that i would have gone for a duplex which could have given me all these features in a two level ( ground and top floor) buidlingbut opted for a Burgalow to reduce the cost estimate. To do a solid duplex with the kind of finishing i m looking a IN THAT AREA , i will need at least 30 Million.
The other thing i did not metion is that the builing has an inbuilt BQ a (a small SITTING ROOM AND an ENSUITE ROOM)
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 6:01pm On Apr 26, 2011
Mike no doubt, your house is a very big one!!!!
hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
I don't think we should be looking at it from a 4 bedroom
bungalow angle o!
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by grace5: 6:31pm On Apr 26, 2011
great building
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by tony13: 6:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
@ mikedeoye

can you give us the house dimesion
living rooms,bedrooms and others
how many filling did you used,
how many pillars,
this roofing ,what are the prizes.

thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by SMARTMEADE(m): 10:48pm On Apr 26, 2011
Kem4, i think 13.5 is okay for your project cos i have spent over 8 M on my 4 bedroom bungalow and still need to do the finishing .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by san26dy(f): 8:46am On Apr 27, 2011
Still learning.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:54am On Apr 27, 2011
My iron bender will start work this morning, but first the electricial will commence the conduit piping of the house. I just gave him N53,000 for initial pipes, switches etc, out of the money, N23k is for materials while N30k is his labour costs.
This will bring the total money spent on this house to N 1,501,200.00
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 10:24am On Apr 27, 2011
SMARTMEADE:

Kem4, i think 13.5 is okay for your project cos i have spent over 8 M on my 4 bedroom bungalow and still need to do the finishing .

Why not grace us with some pictures so we can a view the N8m work and learn some more.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:32am On Apr 27, 2011
^^
you read it yourself,
I remembered when Brabus was
saying I may spend 12m on my house
because of standard of thing I was
looking forward too.
Remember my question right?
Is 10 million too much for a bungalow?
and your reply . . . . . .
_make moi feel like to spend money for oneself na crime__________________

I like people that can encourage me!
And 5m cannot finish a bungalow to MY taste!
twice that money will come very cloes!!!

Remember you and Kuntash gist on this thread
2.5m to 3m for a bungalow in Lagos!!! shocked  shocked  shocked
I looked at it and pass! grin grin grin
No offense intended!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Aks(m): 10:55am On Apr 27, 2011
Still learning on this thread, but I must confess that Am Alone has done well. You are building a bungalow with good finishing cos u want to live in there and i find it funny when people try to pick on you when u state figures of what u bought or intend to buy/use. Could you believe I showed my colleagues in the office some houses on this thread and 80% of the people that commented said it's only your house that's real in the amount spent compared to the level of work done.
Thank you so much for letting our eyes open to reality and to know what it takes to build a house. I might sound sentimental to some but i think i'm in the same school of taught like Am Alone. Love quality things and can go extra mile to get it as long as GOD bless me wella

Kudos to mikeadeoye and especially the grand-patron of this thread 'SPYDER880'
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 12:02pm On Apr 27, 2011
damn! whats taste? what is quality? whats Durability and finally, what is desire?

Am Alone:

Remember you and Kuntash gist on this thread
2.5m to 3m for a bungalow in Lagos!!! shocked  shocked  shocked
I looked at it and pass! grin grin grin
No offense intended!

Look Mr Alone, I no dey too scatter yearn and I will never condemn someone's effort when he/she is tryn to get smthn as a house that at least wont collapse on him in his lifetime.

this thread has become chunky hence tracing posts could be difficult, I would recall I posted smthn like this in form of a question- :

Forums / Properties / Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex on: April 14, 2011, 09:40 AM
in all, its fair to deduce that an average decent 3 or 4 bedroom bungalow can be finished with 4M excluding cost of land purchase in Lagos as @ today,

am I right or right?

Kudos to you on your bungalow you have built to your taste, and as you can see, lots of people are happy for you. Note however, just as you stated, my point has always been that whatever u are building should not be imposed on others and potraying you alone knows the best quality and all that, that perception as about u as seen by many was the issue, (or is it because of ur nickname "u r alone?"wink

I recall people even suggested getting big time construction companies to do their houses, it has to do with CHOICE, and no one has the right to condemn others , e.g you put an expensive toilet fittings in ur house doesnt mean the common ROYAL brand sold in the market would not last or flush out ur rubbish ,

and I have always wanted you to start your thread so one can easily pick ideas from urs and spyder instead of clogging it all together,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 12:12pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^

I never acted like I knew it all. I just gave advices
if you go back to my previous post, you notice I never condemned
anything. I will only tell you, this is available, but this is
better. I know very well, not everybody can afford high
quality things for their houses. And some can but they don't
know which is the best, I just want people to know what is
best for their houses. As a matter of fact, I don't support the fact
that we should just build our house anyhow just because we are
running from some landlord problem. Build your house to taste
to make it look very okay. Even with your little money, you can
still achieve it! Period

Further, I don't know how to start a new thread
can you do that for me? Also, after doing that,
please kindly copy all my post on this thread and
post it there for me so we can hear word!
I rest my case!
 grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 12:51pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^^ Am Alone please no remove your postings ooo. All the posting here dey very relevant. Any intending builder can choose whichever way to go.

No be only ''managers'' dey read the posts. ''choppers'' dey read them too grin grin grin

This is the best thread on nairaland so far by miles and the enjoyment will not be the same without contributors like Am Alone, Spyder and your very sef Kuntash. Guys, keep it coming!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kcoolk4: 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2011
[s]These people no dey tire for argument?, Someone should let me know when they are done with another round of argument. I'm outta here.[/s], Honestly, we Nigerians have very strong characters. It took me years to realise this. May God help the future leaders of Naija.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 1:31pm On Apr 27, 2011
I will upload pictures of the staircase iron works done today later in the day.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Aks(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2011
@ Am Alone, i'll advise you not to respond to all Post, Just continue dishing information on the progress of work at your site. As Demain_man said, we are all learning on this thread, i'll advise you follow the [b]Spyder88[/b]0 way of ignoring unnecessary argument by posting in valuable info which u are good at as well

Enough of argument cos i still wan learn
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by myangel1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2011
Am Alone, How much does it cost you to roofing level now, and what is the length of the house and the breadth? And how many bedroom?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 3:10pm On Apr 27, 2011
kcool_k4:

[s]These people no dey tire for argument?, Someone should let me know when they are done with another round of argument. I'm outta here.[/s], Honestly, we Nigerians have very strong characters. It took me years to realise this. May God help the future leaders of Naija.

^^^^ pls no need to go, I think we have passed the phase of too many argument on this thread,

@ all, I need not bore anyone here but to try and fix things the way it is, as it relates to me, else it gets to a loop.

I dont know how many of us can go thru all the pages here, , in which ever way, I am happy for Mr Alone, because his responses to comments have changed totally , maybe he ALONE can testify to that, grin grin

I cant quarrel with any one at all, I dont even have the time, moreso, the thread prompted me to start smthn
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 3:20pm On Apr 27, 2011
@ all, especially Brabus, Spyder & Mr Alone, I have a serious question for you guys as it relates to Lintel & German floor.

- is there any disadvantage in doing a chain-like Lintel round the building?
- is a German floor compulsory for a simple twin 3-bedroom flat? (not storey building) or better put, if I dont do German floor and decides to proceed, what could go wrong? (whether house is for lease or not)

pls guys kindly advice cos I am getting conflicting responses from the people I left my small project with,

I am most likely to go with ur advice here, so pls respond,

tanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2011
kuntash:

@ all, especially Brabus, Spyder & Mr Alone, I have a serious question for you guys as it relates to Lintel & German floor.

- is there any disadvantage in doing a chain-like Lintel round the building?
- is a German floor compulsory for a simple twin 3-bedroom flat? (not storey building) or better put, if I dont do German floor and decides to proceed, what could go wrong? (whether house is for lease or not)

pls guys kindly advice cos I am getting conflicting responses from the people I left my small project with,

I am most likely to go with your advice here, so pls respond,

tanks

Pls note that I m no expert in this field, but going by the experience of my ongoing project, I think can put somethings forward for you.

The lintels (for all external windows and doors around the external walls of my house ) in that my building were chain-like ( i mean it is continuous lintel round the whole perimeter of the Building) and the advantage according to me my Engineer (pls note not me) is to have the whole building bonded together to allow for common/uniform settling of the load ( extra blocks and roofing) that will come after the lintels. This is a technique he said he has used over the years for burgalows he has built in that Ajah area ( for the kind of soils in the for years because of the nature of the soil. This technique ofcourse added to my cost as we had to do additional concrete works, form works and buy iron rods that went into the lintels.

Also, as per my German floor, it was not done immediately after the foundation and sand filling. The super structure (brick laying and other lintels and columns) were already in place before I did my German floor . The German floor was done after like three months after having the foundation and super structure are already in place. According to my Engineer (by his experience in the area where my project is located), it is good to have the filling sand settle/compact naturally by allowing rain fall on it for a time ( if u have the luxury of time though). This he said is due to the kind of the filling sand available in that area which is different from the normal filling sand used on the mainland which u can have compacted easily by manually means. Note that the foundation and superstructure was done in early May, 2010 just at the beginning of the raining season but my German floor was done sometimes in early september. I also used alot of filling sand which necessitated the need for me to allow time for the filling sand to compact naturally.

Meanwhile, what the Engineer did before continuing with the super structure ( laying of blocks etc) after the foundation was to fill the whole of the hollow 9 inch blocks used on the foundation wall of the whole building with concrete to avoid sipping and dampening. This gulp some more money for the concrete works as well. Pls note that this would have not been needed if the German floor was done immediately after the foundation before the super structure. Also, pls note that my site or the area of my project is not water logged. The land is very dry as it is not on the ocean side of Lekki- Epe express way just that the water level is higher than that what u have on the Mainland. We only did all these as extra precautions.

Having said all these, I really don’t think anything will go if u do ur German floor so far are building on a normal land with normal soil as we have in the Main land side of lagos. Mine was only delayed because we wanted to allow time for the filling sand to settle naturally.

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by SMARTMEADE(m): 4:54pm On Apr 27, 2011
I will send more pics soon
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 5:19pm On Apr 27, 2011
my angel:

Am Alone, How much does it cost you to roofing level now, and what is the length of the house and the breadth? And how many bedroom?

the length of my house is 19925Meter by 14100Meter
This is equivilent to 65.6fett by 46.3feet that is for the ground/foundation
the the gutter roof came out an extra 1ft6inches or so. . . .

And to roofing level, It is a 4bedrom flat(but the house is bigger than a normal one.
because the rooms measure 16 by 13 and the toilets measure 5 by 12feet or so
with a lobby measuring about 32 by 4ft
sitting room measuring 16feet by 19feet
Dinning measuring 10 by 16ft
kitchen measuring 13 by 12 ft
store measuring 6 by 12ft
shoot-out measuring around 13 by 13 feet or so
Its a very big house! And I have said it several times total cash spent so far!
Total Money spent so far is around: 6.2m(including approval money and omo onile money,and community fee
totaling 450k+ including all the toilets piping and fittings and kitchen fiitings as well costing me 700k. And I have
paid 150k for all my Burglary. Its customized so cost more)

I have paid for my fence and it has being started.
This is what the total money will be once the fence is completed: =N=6,876,370
I had about a 1000 blocks before, so I have to buy just 2000 extra and 300 extra for 9"
I still have granite(and I don't think I will have to buy again).
And again, I still have enough roofing sheet to roof a one bedroom bQ and toilet for the security house.

Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 5:36pm On Apr 27, 2011
Am Alone,

Any update with market survey of the doors? What brand name tec are u looking at?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:11pm On Apr 27, 2011
And cement comes down to N2300 in Enugu, it may still come down, let me wait till next week to buy.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2011
for those who love pictures grin grin

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:59pm On Apr 27, 2011
some of the conduit pipes

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.