Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,332 members, 7,884,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 02:26 PM

IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira (17884 Views)

The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? / Landing Cost Of Petrol Increases Because Of Devaluation Of Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2011
[size=15pt]Not again, the Naira is about to become shit money the way Cedis was. Damn it![/size]
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by TippyTop(m): 3:28pm On Feb 19, 2011
Devaluation will be a curse, we have only one thing to export and that is "oil".
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Nutridor: 3:40pm On Feb 19, 2011
What we need is increase in maunfacturing. I travelled to Indian and as you know after China they are the next economic force. Obama even had rto travel there with over 25 ceos of american companies to discuss business. But what have they done compared to Nigeria?
1. Constant power supply: I was there for about one month and I will admit it is not 100%. But I can tell you where I stayed power availability was about 95%
2. They do not ban importation of goods but put a very high tarrif on them. So this makes the equivalent goods manufactured in country much cheaper. After a while everyone buys the locally made good. This results in reduction in patronage of imported goods.This makes the foreign manufacturers lose about 500 million customers. What they do next is bring the factory to India. This creates employment etc. So designer clothers, cars like Honda, Toyota etc are manufactured in India. If you want to import a Honda from let say the US, it will cost about 3 times the cost of a locally manufactured one.

So all this talk about devaluing the naira or banning imported goods are stories. 1 Rupee is N3.3. Power should be fixed first and all other things will fall in place.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Affalatus: 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2011
Ikoyi Residence for Rent Two Bedroom Apartment Opposite Park-view Estate
Going for N700,000 you can pay for one year
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
Call Thomas on: 08035883220
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by niyooo(m): 3:51pm On Feb 19, 2011
The western countries just want to keep getting our oil on the cheap. Devaluation is favorable when you are a manufacturing nation that exports your manufactured goods. As it is we don't manufacture jack and the CBN is having issues defending the value of the naira because the confused desperate man in the rock is hell bent on staying there even if it kills the whole country. How do you explain a situation where we are making more from oil right now and yet spending everything with nothing to show for it?

Abeg make dem no try am o. China devalues its Yuan so that it's exports can be cheaper for foreigners. The crux of the matter is that our manufacturing industries have to be developed, if that is done, we can now export our manufactured goods at competitive prices. Also the government should improve power supply rather than wasting all the money.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by JUO(m): 3:54pm On Feb 19, 2011
oh
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Affalatus: 3:58pm On Feb 19, 2011
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by JUO(m): 4:00pm On Feb 19, 2011
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
explain
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by louchi: 4:20pm On Feb 19, 2011
The fear of IMF is the beginning of wisdom. Nigeria needs to fix the power problem and start exporting. Even with over a 100% inflation within 3yrs, Nigerians are still suffering and smiling. How long will a tree bend before it breaks?
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by passyjango(m): 4:27pm On Feb 19, 2011
niyooo:

The western countries just want to keep getting our oil on the cheap. Devaluation is favorable when you are a manufacturing nation that exports your manufactured goods. As it is we don't manufacture jack and the CBN is having issues defending the value of the naira because the confused desperate man in the rock is hell bent on staying there even if it kills the whole country. How do you explain a situation where we are making more from oil right now and yet spending everything with nothing to show for it?  

Abeg make dem no try am o. China devalues its Yuan so that it's exports can be cheaper for foreigners. The crux of the matter is that our manufacturing industries have to be developed, if that is done, we can now export our manufactured goods at competitive prices. Also the government should improve power supply rather than wasting all the money.

Please educate me on how devaluing our currency will make our oil cheaper. The last time I checked, oil was priced and sold in Dollars. So, even if N1,000,000 = $1,  they will still be buying at almost the same price. I am not saying we should devalue, I am only saying that we should not waste our foreign reserve to artificially stabilise our currency. The Naira should be allowed to float. Its value should be determined by prevailing market forces to some extent.

As for your question How do you explain a situation where we are making more from oil right now and yet spending everything with nothing to show for it?

The answer is simple, CBN is using the reserve to stabilise the Naira artificially.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^ thanks for that breakdown
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by squino(m): 5:16pm On Feb 19, 2011
Banning of items is usually to allow local industries grow and possibly compete favourably with the foreign counterparts but it also on the other hand depends on what is being banned and the adverse effect on the populace.
On the issue of devaluation, they better go and devalue the dollar and let us be, we have economists who can proffer solutions to our economic problems and if not good enough, we are advancing.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^ Read the article to understand the reason for the suggestion. Know why the suggestion in the first place rather than always looking for a foreign demon to blame for it all.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Justcash(m): 5:43pm On Feb 19, 2011
Economic powers don't listen to IMF. They control IMF.
IMF is scared of them.
It is only big for nothing countries like Nigeria that they can use as their face towel.
It is a SHAME!!!
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by 10cirenoh: 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2011
@Kobo

What is wrong with you self? are you looking for ways to send $100 home to those you normally send to instead of the normal $1000? you want to reduce how much you send home right?

You must be thinking this way, let me send $100 to mama kudira, thats going to be ALOT of money to her compared to when i use to send $1000 which is alot of money to me.

Mere $1000 is N152,000 naira now, you want $1,000 to be N400,000 right? so you can be lord over your people abi?

FURk devaluation, it's because our money's got no value, that's why our best brains are traveling out en-mass to other countries of the world where they currency's got value.

What we want is not to devalue the naira, if IMF wants to help us, they should forgive whatever debt we are owing and also dash us $100 billion without any interest so we can use it to face power once and for all.

With power solved, Naira and our economy is going to be the new damsel in town.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by EzeUche2(m): 6:08pm On Feb 19, 2011
louchi:

The fear of IMF is the beginning of wisdom. Nigeria needs to fix the power problem and start exporting. Even with over a 100% inflation within 3yrs, Nigerians are still suffering and smiling. How long will a tree bend before it breaks?

This is the truth. It is very quote worthy.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by kedukc(m): 6:50pm On Feb 19, 2011
Nutridor:

What we need is increase in maunfacturing. I travelled to Indian and as you know after China they are the next economic force. Obama even had rto travel there with over 25 ceos of american companies to discuss business. But what have they done compared to Nigeria?
1. Constant power supply: I was there for about one month and I will admit it is not 100%. But I can tell you where I stayed power availability was about 95%
2. They do not ban importation of goods but put a very high tarrif on them. So this makes the equivalent goods manufactured in country much cheaper. After a while everyone buys the locally made good. This results in reduction in patronage of imported goods.This makes the foreign manufacturers lose about 500 million customers. What they do next is bring the factory to India. This creates employment etc. So designer clothers, cars like Honda, Toyota etc are manufactured in India. If you want to import a Honda from let say the US, it will cost about 3 times the cost of a locally manufactured one.

So all this talk about devaluing the naira or banning imported goods are stories. 1 Rupee is N3.3. Power should be fixed first and all other things will fall in place.

^^ THANK YOU JARE, i quoted your post because i realized halfway through it that we have a big enough population to cajole these multinationals to take up the responsibility of shoring up our manufacturing base.

The Naira's value is not the bane of our economy,  most of the prevailing arguments on this topic (save for kobojunkie's which lacks context and purpose) are quite valid; what is missing is the reckoning that devaluation or not, the political class have not shown the will to drive Nigeria in a sustainable direction (i.e improving infrastructure and being fiscally responsible).

Maybe it will take a protest of Egypt's kind to arouse this fear in our government. Look at the Indians, what means of transportation does their leader employ? how have they adjusted their lifestyle to their circumstances? Elections are here again but sadly the front-runners are complacent about the real issues,  [well, we don't really ask them the tough questions.]

I see the leadership of this country going ahead with this devaluation, the brunt will be borne by the have-nots, while our so-called 'statesmen' continue with the consumption pattern that is largely responsible for our depleted reserves. We can as well resist devaluation, and yet our economy will feel the brunt, it is not rocket science that when you deplete your barn you have to go cap in hand to your neighbor,  take a look at this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/governments-food-price-inflation-2011-1?slop=1

Finally, economic variables - currency, interest rate, foreign reserve balances etc. can only provide short-term cushions -- Our spending has to go into things that guarantee future value i.e capital investment,  I am of the opinion that devaluation makes it even more difficult to do this, hence my opposition to it.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Feb 19, 2011
10cirenoh:

@Kobo

What is wrong with you self? are you looking for ways to send $100 home to those you normally send to instead of the normal $1000? you want to reduce how much you send home right?

You must be thinking this way, let me send $100 to mama kudira, thats going to be ALOT of money to her compared to when i use to send $1000 which is alot of money to me.

Mere $1000 is N152,000 naira now, you want $1,000 to be N400,000 right? so you can be lord over your people abi?

FURk devaluation, it's because our money's got no value, that's why our best brains are traveling out en-mass to other countries of the world where they currency's got value.

What we want is not to devalue the naira, if IMF wants to help us, they should forgive whatever debt we are owing and also dash us $100 billion without any interest so we can use it to face power once and for all.

With power solved, Naira and our economy is going to be the new damsel in town.

Make sure to be ready to repeat this lot the next time we are advised to probably devalue rather than continue to clean out our reserves to prop up our naira. grin grin
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by yeswecan(m): 7:03pm On Feb 19, 2011
IMF refused to explain how devaluation of Naira will jumpstart a non-oil sector or increase our reserve/Excess Crude Account. IMF also said Nigeria’s economic outlook remains positive - the problem i have with the growth figures coming from Africa countries is that they are[b] not really growth figures[/b]. One would wounder why Africans keeps bagging the highest growth rate in the world and moving backward at the same time. Consider a government that invest nothing in his country's infrastructure only sell the natural resources and divert the funds, such will be awarded with growth figures according to the volume of resources sold. Comparing this to growth figure created by individual manufacturers exporting products abroad, it is certainly not the same thing.

Nigeria is not growing. " The non-oil primary deficit has increased by 5 percentage points to 32 percent of non-oil GDP" the question becomes how are we growing,  Oil revenue? well there is nothing to show for it so forget about the growth rate it is just volume of oil sold.

Kobojunkie:

On Devaluation, why has it worked for China, and why can't we make it work for us in similar fashion?

The way I see it, it makes sense to believe that with all the GROWTH we have been recording in our books for the past 2 years(average of 7% every quarter), increasing manufacturing and devaluing the naira would aid our economy in a good way.

Always assuming everything is a ploy has lead us to close our eyes while the rest of the world, even common china has gone past us.

China is pursuing a policy of reducing the value of its currency to try and boost growth, especially in its key exporting industries. This will keep Chinese export cheaper because dollar will be stronger than Chinese currency hence makes Chinese export cheaper. To bring this case into the IMF call for devaluation shows you lack understanding in this particular issue. Not to mention that America and IMF are angered by Chinese currency manipulation.

I think it will be foolish to devalue our currency just because of IMF's proposal. If  we can draw a link between devaluation and growth, then we can have a conversation so far there is no sense whatsoever in what IMF's talking about. I also think it is natural for someone to bring the lost decade of 80S into the picture of how IMF SAP did great damage to Africa's social sector. Nigeria is the best case in IMF SAP. Go to Gambia, Ivory coast and Mali. Gambia already started to export rice before IMF advise was taken and the trend reversed to importation up to this day.

The solution to our problem is me and you. We do not have to wait for any IMF to come tell us what to do and it get irritating reading folks backing IMF for no reason. If there is a logic associated with the claim, we can talk.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^^ Please read the article. Nowhere are we told to devalue simply because the IMF thinks so. There are reasons given for that suggestion from the IMF.

And my thought is, instead of continuing to prop up our naira, what if we used this opportunity to finally invest in improving exports (non-oil) for a change. And like you said, devaluation(not necessarily as a result of IMF suggestions) works for china, so, we can make it work for us too.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by EzeUche2(m): 7:11pm On Feb 19, 2011
The reason why the IMF is saying this, is because the U.S. is getting worried about oil prices rising as the Arab world is going through a lot of problems. This of course will push crude prices into the sky. That is why they need Nigeria to devalue of currency, so they can purchase our oil cheaply.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by POTUT(m): 7:13pm On Feb 19, 2011
Indeed our Political Class is made up of daft SUG warriors who couldn't finish school and can;t speak good english, ending up having carryovers and changing school.

Do you ever find in any administration's cabinet smart intellectuals who drive the policies and implementation of government. IMF always comes to the countries they know are governed by idiots and men who don't have the patience to read a simple international article or journal.

Today China is the 2nd largest economy, beating Japan as at end of 2010 and nudging America for the top position. They have power supply and manufacture everything and copy technology in the process. Their rare earth metals have become their bargaining chip in the semi-conductor sector.

In Nigeria, our politicians would use it to bargain for large parcels of land in the south of france to build their family's holiday resort.

Give us power supply and see what happens,
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Onlytruth(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2011
What a country!  shocked cry

About 2 or 3 years ago, a brilliant central bank governor by the name of Charles Soludo was proposing a strategy to REVALUE (shore up its value) the Naira and make it the currency of reference in Africa.

The response to his actions?

His countrymen sacked him and replaced him with a clueless mallam, and all his works dropped and rubbished.

Fast forward to this year, the same country is now thinking about DEVALUATION of the same Naira! shocked shocked

I've said it before and would keep saying it. The Igbo man's frustration with the Nigerian project stem from the hopelessness of Nigeria, and the resoluteness with which other Nigerians grab at retrogression. I remember how Sanusi was being praised by people who were only happy to see that "Igboman" leave office.

Soon some f00ls will start accusing me of tribalistic comment, but hey, do I look like I care? undecided undecided

Until Nigeria is ready to appoint and leave the BEST in sensitive positions, Igbo will keep agitating for separation.

Period.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

The reason why the IMF is saying this, is because the U.S. is getting worried about oil prices rising as the Arab world is going through a lot of pricing. This of course will push crude prices into the sky. That is why they need Nigeria to devalue of currency, so they can purchase our oil cheaply.

PLEASE take some time to actually read the article. . .  .

passyjango:

Please educate me on how devaluing our currency will make our oil cheaper. The last time I checked, oil was priced and sold in Dollars. So, even if N1,000,000 = $1,  they will still be buying at almost the same price. I am not saying we should devalue, I am only saying that we should not waste our foreign reserve to artificially stabilise our currency. The Naira should be allowed to float. Its value should be determined by prevailing market forces to some extent.

As for your question How do you explain a situation where we are making more from oil right now and yet spending everything with nothing to show for it?

The answer is simple, CBN is using the reserve to stabilise the Naira artificially.

The above is for you!
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by yeswecan(m): 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2011
Kobojunkie

I read the direct IMF article not the newspaper edited copy. The reason given for that suggestion is asinine given the realities in Nigeria. And please do not compare China and Nigeria in this, it worked for China because of the nature of their export which is not raw material but manufactured products. China currency manipulation is to get more market for their product by making it cheaper in relative to America's. Do you understand that? If you do now tell me "what are we producing that we need more market? if you can't answer that then trow out the Chinese argument.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by yeswecan(m): 7:25pm On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

The reason why the IMF is saying this, is because the U.S. is getting worried about oil prices rising as the Arab world is going through a lot of pricing. This of course will push crude prices into the sky. That is why they need Nigeria to devalue of currency, so they can purchase our oil cheaply.

As much as i think you came on too blunt you are actually making sense to me.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by manny4life(m): 7:30pm On Feb 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

PLEASE take some time to actually read the article. . .  .

The above is for you!

First off Kobo, Oil is a raw material and NOT a finished goods. People are more inclined to buy finished products than they would for raw materials. If you go into the market with your readily available Naira to buy clothes; are you willing to buy cotton, thread etc or buy the finished products? How many time have you bought the wrappers and sown it yourself? That's the way goods and services work. Making more from our oil is just an advantage to our having resource to improve our balnace of trade on imports.

As for my opinion on devaluation, Mr. Sanusi should not YIELD to the IMF; it's just a ploy. Nigeria DOESN'T HAVE a stable manufacturing base to offset the devaluating currency. They do that, when we are not manufacturing to export; that would definitely increase our trade deficits with no foreign investments and all we keep doing is borrowing into debt.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Onlytruth(m): 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2011
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the price of oil in the international markets unless you can prove that we sell our oil in Naira.  undecided

This is just a product of poor national economic policy planning. cry

When Soludo was lamenting that our reserves were depleting at a time of unprecedented oil revenue,people were calling him names and dodging his debates. angry

Now, this is the outcome.  sad
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2011
yeswecan:

Kobojunkie

I read the direct IMF article not the newspaper edited copy. The reason given for that suggestion is asinine given the realities in Nigeria. And please do not compare China and Nigeria in this, it worked for China because of the nature of their export which is not raw material but manufactured products. China currency manipulation is to get more market for their product by making it cheaper in relative to America's. Do you understand that? If you do now tell me "what are we producing that we need more market? if you can't answer that then trow out the Chinese argument.

1) Where can I find this DIRECT IMF article you claim you read instead

2) I am NOT comparing Nigeria to China but simply putting forth the idea that if China can take advantage devaluation, then it is NOT EVIL to devaluate especially when you probably may need to since you cannot afford to keep propping up your currency

I'm not an economist -- just looking at this from a layman's angle since  . . .lol
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by EzeUche2(m): 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2011
The IMF and World Bank destroyed many African economies through the SAPs. I will never forgive them for this. We are still feeling the effects of their policies that wrecked throughout the continent and cause many Africans to go hungry and lose their life savings. Our money became worthless!

They told us to open up our economies to free trade.

They told us to devalue our currency.

They told us to lower the allocation to our education and social programs.

They told us to stop subsidizing agricultural sectors.

They told us to privatize state owned industries.

Now what do we have to show for this? A county that has retrogressed, in which more people were wealthier in the past than now.
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by yeswecan(m): 7:36pm On Feb 19, 2011
Re: IMF Proposes Devaluation Of Naira by EzeUche2(m): 7:38pm On Feb 19, 2011
Any African politicians who supports the IMF's actions should die a thousand deaths.

The West is not fair in their trade with Africa. That is why the continent remains a bread basket. They always blame corruption, but they do not see how they help facilitate corruption.

Every damn revolutionary leader that Africa has had, was either assassinated or a coup that was backed by the West was planned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Can A Nigerian Sign Up For Clickbank Affiliate Program? / Frozen Foods Business. / N193 Billion Intervention Loans Declared Lost By CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.