Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,798 members, 7,915,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 07:43 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1396624 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 11:39am On Jul 08, 2014
twizzie: GenoMI]Hello House,

Please I need some advice from you.

I would like to have my baby in the US though I am due to deliver in January 2015 I would like to start laying the ground work now.
I have been issued a B1/B2 US visa before which expired in February 2013 (I used it 2wice) but my husband has never applied for a US visa before and we would like to go together. Please I want to know if:

1. I can apply for a new visa through the drop-box program and if this may affect me at POE since I will not have the opportunity to explain at interview that I am going to give birth

2. How and when my husband should apply

I will really appreciate your responses. Thank you very much.

I don't think you are eligible for the drop box as well. You should have applied before your visa expired. From the look of things, it is advisable to apply and go together as a couple.
Start correspondence with hospitals and get letter of responsibility, do a spreadsheet for all the cost associated. make sure you have a good account balance for whoever is sponsoring you. Get appointment with a doctor. With all these, I think you are good to go for the interview. As previously said on this thread, be truthful during your interview..
All these, I have learned on this thread! All the best!!!

Thank you very much for your response twizzle - much appreciated. Please I asked about drop-box because of this post I saw earlier on this thread:

For a B1/B2 visa holder:

The applicant is a Nigerian passport holder;
The applicant principally resides in Nigeria;
The applicant’s last visa interview resulted in an issuance;
The applicant was issued a two-year B1/B2 United States visa;
The visa expired no more than two years prior to reissuance;
The applicant was at least 14 years old at the time of the last issuance or will be under the age of 14 at the time of reissuance; and
The applicant has never been arrested nor had an encounter with law enforcement, customs, or immigration officials in the United States.

It is the highlighted part I did not understand which made me think I would be eligible. I will start speaking to doctors as you have advised and will keep the house posted. Thanks again.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 08, 2014
fruitfulie: I had my interview today but was refused?though married almost a year ago, I was told I had no social tie.
Didn't understand anyway but I feel it's because I applied alone. I would have been at Eldorado. Please lemme ask how soon I can reapply.thanks

I don't understand. If you applied alone, then your husband should serve as a social tie! I just don't get them sometimes sha. Can you give us the transcript of the interview? And where did it hold?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nochid: 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
@Varvara: the letter or email correspondence contains the date of appointment with the financial Counsellor and that of the Doctor's appointment and time. It's usually for the first appointment, that's about all contained in the letter.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfulie: 2:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
Phema:

I don't understand. If you applied alone, then your husband should serve as a social tie! I just don't get them sometimes sha. Can you give us the transcript of the interview? And where did it hold?
It was a brief one.
He asked what I was going to do in USA Texas precisely.I said to deliver my baby.asked for letter from my doctor I showed him. He asked if I was married and when,I told him yes am married.he asked when ,I told him 3/10/13.he asked if I was pregnant,and I told him yes and how many months gone I was.I said 4months and two weeks.he asked if my husband was travelling with me,I said by the time I would put to bed he might be busy at work.
He then gave me the refusal sheet.
My question is do I reapply alongside with my husband in three weeks time?
Insisting on medical or what do I say we want to go and do there?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by twizzie: 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hello house.
For those interested in the Philly region, I just called, DCMH.Delaware County Memorial Hospital, Was referred by someone that had her baby last year and she paid about 3500-4000(hospital bill and doc).
Apparently, the price has gone up over 100%. Was told it's currently 7500. 6000 for hospital bill and 1500 for doctor's bill. Was directed to the financial services department when I asked if I was going to get further discount for paying cash upfront. Called but was told it's a flat rate. The amount doesn't cover ultrasound and blood test and you have to bring in your medical file to avoid paying more.
Hope this helps someone.. Will try call another hospital in that region.
Please mums using or have used MIHS, Abeg show ooo and tell us your experience. Seems that's going to be an option I might have to consider.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 2:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
twizzie: Hello house.
For those interested in the Philly region, I just called, DCMH.Delaware County Memorial Hospital, Was referred by someone that had her baby last year and she paid about 3500-4000(hospital bill and doc).
Apparently, the price has gone up over 100%. Was told it's currently 7500. 6000 for hospital bill and 1500 for doctor's bill. Was directed to the financial services department when I asked if I was going to get further discount for paying cash upfront. Called but was told it's a flat rate. The amount doesn't cover ultrasound and blood test and you have to bring in your medical file to avoid paying more.
Please mums using or have used MIHS, Abeg show ooo and tell us your experience. Seems that's going to be an option I might have to consider.

Hi twizzie,

Na wa o, MIHS seems like the most reasonable option so far, though flights for the time I want to go are around 300k minimum (Dec by God's Grace). Even all the accommodation i.e. extended stay america has nothing available. Don't know what to do next.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by twizzie: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
@ GenoMI,
Na real wa..
Called another hospital in that region Lankenau medical center, I almost vexed drop the phone. (Both DCIM and Lankenau were posted by someone I think on page 54-58 on this thread)
20,000 Vagina birth and 30,000 for cs. That's just hospital bill, though you get a 60% discount but you have to pay 10k deposit and also find a physician.
I have families in Philly and NJ, that's why I a checking the area out but it seems NY is rubbing off on them.
Abeg, make I call MIHS jeje. Will give feed-back as well!!
Veterans in the house, abeg talk oooooo
ciao!!

GenoMI:

Hi twizzie,

Na wa o, MIHS seems like the most reasonable option so far, though flights for the time I want to go are around 300k minimum (Dec by God's Grace). Even all the accommodation i.e. extended stay america has nothing available. Don't know what to do next.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 3:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
twizzie:
@ GenoMI,
Na real wa..
Called another hospital in that region Lankenau medical center, I almost vexed drop the phone. (Both DCIM and Lankenau were posted by someone I think on page 54-58 on this thread)
20,000 Vagina birth and 30,000 for cs. That's just hospital bill, though you get a 60% discount but you have to pay 10k deposit and also find a physician.
I have families in Philly and NJ, that's why I a checking the area out but it seems NY is rubbing off on them.
Abeg, make I call MIHS jeje. Will give feed-back as well!!
Veterans in the house, abeg talk oooooo
ciao!!

20,000 womanliness birth and 30,000 for cs. CHEIIII shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 3:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
@ Twizzie and GenoMI, You could try the Wyckoff Hospital in brookyn ($7k), Metroplitian hospital in Manhattan($8k), or Christ Hospital, NJ ($10k). These were the cheapest options I got for NY/NJ before I changed my mind for Atlanta. Atlanta has south regional hospital (sent an email, yet to get a response from them) but I am using one in Augusta. Normal delivery about $6k total but I won't pay for accommodation, so that seems fair to me. I would have loved to go to MIHS but my hubby wants me to be with family, so Georgia, here I come wink

I have been advised to wait till end August before booking my flights. All flight fares now are summer prices, but prices will drop from end -august to september. hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by jyde2014: 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
twizzie: Hello house.

I just got off the phone with them too. Cos my sister wishes to go there cos we have relatives there. I think they are just starting the package.
MIHS is the best option.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
fruitfulie:
It was a brief one.
He asked what I was going to do in USA Texas precisely.I said to deliver my baby.asked for letter from my doctor I showed him. He asked if I was married and when,I told him yes am married.he asked when ,I told him 3/10/13.he asked if I was pregnant,and I told him yes and how many months gone I was.I said 4months and two weeks.he asked if my husband was travelling with me,I said by the time I would put to bed he might be busy at work.
He then gave me the refusal sheet.
My question is do I reapply alongside with my husband in three weeks time?
Insisting on medical or what do I say we want to go and do there?

I honestly do not know why you were denied. I will advice you apply again. Maybe this time, with your hubby.

And yes, still insist on medicals. It will look suspicious if you tell a different story now.

What did he give as a reason for your refusal? Have you traveled outside Nigeria before now? Was the interview in Lag or Abj?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 3:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
@fruitfulie, so sorry to hear about this. I think you need to reapply with your husband and get fully prepared. Also pray. Please read through the pages (the last 10 pages, I believe some couples wrote their VO experience in detail there) and get some info for better preparation. Some people here applied 4 times before they got their visa, so don't get discouraged. infact some one applied thrice in two months and got their visa. So there is hope. You still have time to try again.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
mamacajah: @ Twizzie and GenoMI, You could try the Wyckoff Hospital in brookyn ($7k), Metroplitian hospital in Manhattan($8k), or Christ Hospital, NJ ($10k). These were the cheapest options I got for NY/NJ before I changed my mind for Atlanta. Atlanta has south regional hospital (sent an email, yet to get a response from them) but I am using one in Augusta. Normal delivery about $6k total but I won't pay for accommodation, so that seems fair to me. I would have loved to go to MIHS but my hubby wants me to be with family, so Georgia, here I come wink

I have been advised to wait till end August before booking my flights. All flight fares now are summer prices, but prices will drop from end -august to september. hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips - I will check out those hospitals online though none beaths MIHS prices yet lol.
Lucky you since you have family you can stay with - makes a lot of sense since you will make considerable savings on accommodation, feeding etc.Plus it's always good to have familiar people around. Hopefully the flight tickets should go down. When are you going? Because I've been checking tickets for December period and they are all in the $2k region to Houston and Phoenix
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
@GenoMI, I will be going in October, latest mid-october. If I could push it, I would go Oct ending (grin). Exactly on the family part. It really helps to make the whole home away from home process easier. But The El Paso crew seem to be tight, lol!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
@GenoMI: I am going to Dallas in Dec and I got d ticket for 253k. I will be staying @ extended stay and would be paying 1900 for accommodation for 7wks. We can chat if u r considering Dallas.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
Flowers: @GenoMI: I am going to Dallas in Dec and I got d ticket for 253k. I will be staying @ extended stay and would be paying 1900 for accommodation for 7wks. We can chat if u r considering Dallas.

Wow for real? Yes I am also considering Dallas (Doctores Parati). Are you also using them?

That ticket and accommodation deal sound good o. Yes please let's chat, I will send you a private message.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
GenoMI:

Wow for real? Yes I am also considering Dallas (Doctores Parati). Are you also using them?

Doctores Para Ti? Do they have a branch in Dallas now?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 4:25pm On Jul 08, 2014
GenoMI:

That ticket and accommodation deal sound good o. Yes please let's chat, I will send you a private message.

Ahh wait o, Doctores Parati is in El Paso not Dallas, lol. Guess I was just thinking Texas. Please what hospital are you using? I have sent you an e-mail.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
Phema:

Doctores Para Ti? Do they have a branch in Dallas now?

Lol sorry no branch in Dallas o, I was just thinking Texas (instead of El Paso)
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
GenoMI:

Lol sorry no branch in Dallas o, I was just thinking Texas (instead of El Paso)

Alright
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by twizzie: 4:58pm On Jul 08, 2014
Pls house, any idea on any additional charges from MIHS? Like pediatrician,etc etc?

I am thinking of flying from NJ/Philly at 38 weeks and to spend prolly just a month then fly back to NJ/Philly.
Going for elective cs which is 4200.
That way, 4200+ say 1200 accommodation + flight 500(its about 450-470) = 5900.
Feeding and other cost can gulp another 1500= 7300. Lets sha say 7500..
Still fair IMO tho DCMH are offering 7500 but that's just hospital and doc's fee. No ultrasound, ped fees, blood test fees included in the package.

Please advise...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dsaynt: 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
skinydudu: Hello everyone, pls who knows d cost of giving birth in Los Angeles, California?

Approx. $7k varginal and $10k c-section. (includes epidural etc). There are a few lower and a few higher. This is an average

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ifax(f): 5:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
GenoMI:

Thank you very much for your response twizzle - much appreciated. Please I asked about drop-box because of this post I saw earlier on this thread:

For a B1/B2 visa holder:

The applicant is a Nigerian passport holder;
The applicant principally resides in Nigeria;
The applicant’s last visa interview resulted in an issuance;
The applicant was issued a two-year B1/B2 United States visa;
The visa expired no more than two years prior to reissuance;

The applicant was at least 14 years old at the time of the last issuance or will be under the age of 14 at the time of reissuance; and
The applicant has never been arrested nor had an encounter with law enforcement, customs, or immigration officials in the United States.

It is the highlighted part I did not understand which made me think I would be eligible. I will start speaking to doctors as you have advised and will keep the house posted. Thanks again.

Yes you are eligible for Dropbox

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfulie: 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2014
Thanks MAMA and phema. My husband also suggest we reapply together. It's mostly his dream and I don't mind either....but those Americans can be funny.
We would maintain for medical reason.all our documents remain intact and intensify our prayers.
I thank God for the outcome trusting Him for success for others including my next application.
Thanks all.My American baby cometh......

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfulie: 8:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
My fellow mamas&papas,
My refusal page note goes this way,dear applicant...a denial section 233...means that you did not meet th ed requirements of the classification of non immigrant visa for which you applied.

I have choice to reapply but I should provide information that was not presented in your original application or to have demonstrated that your circumstances have changed since that application.

It's quite different from what he kept on hammering on my husband refusal to follow me.

Am on a fat size does it mean I must wear clothes that would reveal my state or that I shudder get possibly my scan results together for them to see.

Or I shudd remove my blouse for all to see I was pregnant.....lols.

I showed the man my hospital stuff,and also my correspondence with the hospital.

Oro ree o eyin ojogbon...

Discuss me and lets guide others with my experience.

No two similar cases of visa interview is same.......a. guy came with family album,children,and all....he was denied o
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
^^^ I asked if it was in Lag or Abj
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 9:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
twizzie: Pls house, any idea on any additional charges from MIHS? Like pediatrician,etc etc?

I am thinking of flying from NJ/Philly at 38 weeks and to spend prolly just a month then fly back to NJ/Philly.
Going for elective cs which is 4200.
That way, 4200+ say 1200 accommodation + flight 500(its about 450-470) = 5900.
Feeding and other cost can gulp another 1500= 7300. Lets sha say 7500..
Still fair IMO tho DCMH are offering 7500 but that's just hospital and doc's fee. No ultrasound, ped fees, blood test fees included in the package.

Please advise...

If I remember correctly, you will pay for pediatrician visit after delivery(about $80). someone once did what you are proposing,traveled to phoneix at 36wks,gave birth and returned to her family in NY. But I would advise you go earlier than 38wks,just in case of any problems.Flying or travelling at that period is quite risky dear.

Please our MIHS mama,give us options on accommodation or sharing options. Thanks!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by happytbaby: 12:51am On Jul 09, 2014
MIHS has a maternity package that is 2,888 and 4,200 for womanly birth and CS respectively. You guys could google Maricopa Integrated Health System for information. A detail of what is included is on the website. It's not amusing to be repeating all the lost info so it would be nice if people do a bit fieldwork too. Google is our friend.

As for cheap accommodation, Crossland on West McDowell road can be booked for about 650dollars per day if you bok a stay of at least 60 nights. The booking is done via phone on +18003987829. It is managed by extended stay so you can book extendedstayamerica too via the number. Please have your MasterCard or Visa card ready when you call. You can also check what the place looks like online.

To book appointment with MIHS, you need to call the Women's clinic on +16023445407, speak pleasantly and get them to send you an email confirmation.

I would appreciate if the people that need this info just take it and use it and not come up with unnecessary comparisons of hospital "quality" or hotel "finesse".

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by happytbaby: 12:54am On Jul 09, 2014
Crossland is about 650dollars per month, sorry for the mistake. You have to book at least 60 nights to qualify for this discounted price though.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamaxxx: 1:04am On Jul 09, 2014
Im not sure this is the right section to post this on but I'll try anyways..

I was issued a b1/b2 visa about 2 months before i conceived, after i found out i was pregnant i decided to utilize the same visa to give birth in the states.

Upon arrival at the airport inn the u.s i was questioned for hours and eventually found inadmissible and my visa was canceled immediately. I was found inadmissible for reason of lack of funds although i tried explaining to the officer that i had the funding i just didn't want to travel with plenty cash on me. I had my debit mastercard on me. I had also prepaid part of the doctors bill and secured an appointment.

its been one week since the incident happened and i am almost 8 months pregnant.i  intend on reapplying for emergency visa because i am determined to birth my child in the u.s as i can prove that i am capable of affording the hospital bill.

What do you all advice? I've got all possible supporting documents i feel they may require. How do i go about this?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Varvara: 3:28am On Jul 09, 2014
Nochid: @Varvara: the letter or email correspondence contains the date of appointment with the financial Counsellor and that of the Doctor's appointment and time. It's usually for the first appointment, that's about all contained in the letter.

Thank you very much! Finally woman clinic send me confirmation on my mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (402)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.