Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,841 members, 7,872,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:56 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1389902 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
ifax:
Yes u can write to the embassy informing them ur plans have changed. However, u might be lucky the respond with the normal positive email or cancel ur visas.
Goodluck

He hasn't gotten his visa yet. He still has a chance to declare at the embassy.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by LadyGuinivere: 10:54pm On Jul 03, 2014
@diddy11
Ist. You absolutely, positively have to go thru the pages already mentioned.
In answer to your question, you have to tell them your intentions. I'm thinking there are two options here
* Either leave the DS160 as is, but go along prepared with all your hospital correspondence and bank statements and all other documents that support your case. You can tell your interviewer that you guys decided to give birth in the U.S after filling the form or
* Do what PH boy said. Cancel the appointment and fill a fresh DS 160. This is more straightforward and less grammer speaking and explanations
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by benik(f): 11:41pm On Jul 03, 2014
Impish pls I sent u an email please hook up.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by impish: 11:59pm On Jul 03, 2014
benik: Impish pls I sent u an email please hook up.

Hi, please resend. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by impish: 12:07am On Jul 04, 2014
@uchetobi, thanks dear. I totally agree. I am in the same boat as you were ie on my own here in Atlanta. But as you said, it has gotten easier each passing day. We thank God. We are now winding down here and I am so grateful to God for the last 3 months.

Congrats PHboy!

Thanks all for the well wishes.....

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by AK007(m): 12:45am On Jul 04, 2014
Good news! We welcomed our baby boy on 1st July at Oakbend Medical Center. Baby and mummy are doing good.

All the best to other expectant mums and dads!

AK007

10 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ibtisam24: 1:00am On Jul 04, 2014
@AK007 congrats .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tmikejay: 1:23am On Jul 04, 2014
NYC POE experience.

First of all, no one should under estimate the God's role in our/their lives.

Second, as emphasized several times here, honesty pays.

To the main gist.

Border officer: Good morning, why are you in America today?

Me: My wife is here to have our baby, while I am here on vacation.

BO: NO, YOU CANNOT DO THAT! (Emphatically) (in my mind, I said chai, them send you)

I however smiled and calmly responded that its for medical reasons being our first child, we didn't want to take chances.

At the same time, I brought out the Doctor's medical responsibility letter and payment receipt for the Doctor.

He studies it.

BO: $2500 for Doctor, that's not possible.

I smile again.

Me: that's what the Doctor charges and besides, we still have to pay the hospital charges.

BO: How are you going to pay that?

Me: we have $$$ on us (less than 10k) and also have visa & master cards

BO: Where do you work?

Me: xyz coy

BO: so Madam you don't work?

My wife: I do, xyz coy.

BO: so you still work despite being pregnant?

My wife: yes I do and now I'm on leave.

He hands back the payment document and says he wants my thumb prints (both fingers) and pictures.

He still hadn't stamped me and he still held on to the Dr's responsibility letter.

BO: how many times have we been to the USA?

Me: I've been here 4 times and my wife/I together once.

He requests for my Wife's right hand thumb prints.

He then says, he will need to verify from our Dr. If my Wife is her patient.

I say go ahead you may do so.

He says, we should follow him to a room nearby.

(The above took about 5-7minutes and I looked around, everyone had been cleared, they are very fast in NYC, I must say)

Before we entered the room, he turns and says, we should remove money and valuables.

I remove a bundle of $$$, he sees it and says nothing.

Inside the room, there were four officers behind a counter like Zenith bank counters, he drops our passport and the letter on the Black officer's tray and leaves the room.

After 5 minutes, the officer waves me over.

BO-2: what did my colleague want me to do?

Me: he wants you to verify if my Wife is a patient of the Dr.

He looks at the document.

BO-2: I see she's giving birth in Texas?

Me: yes

BO-2: how are you going to pay?

Me: cash, we have $$$ on us.

BO-2: did you tell him that?

Me: yes I did.

He turns to his colleagues and say can you imagine BO-1 didn't mention that they are paying cash and that they even have money on them, why the hell is he wasting my time, does he think we aren't busy here. Can't he just make a simple decision.

He immediately stamps our passports and says welcome to America and safe delivery.

Me: Thank you.

We got our bags and headed into NYC to enjoy our baby moon (vacation before the baby)

That's our story.

It's God's doing.

Our advice is to commit your ways to God and also come prepared.

We had the following documents ready in two separate files (one for me, one for my wife)

- return tickets
- letter of responsibility from the Dr.
- payment receipt for delivery (Dr's fees)
- appointment date with the Dr.
- email reply from Embassy (as advised on this forum, we previously went on vacation with this visa and then she wasn't pregnant)
- bank statements (mine and hers)
- maternity leave from her coy
- Naira/$ exchange rate history from a website (to show the average exchange rate if asked to confirm how much we have)
- copy of marriage certificate (her passport is still in her maiden name)

Hope our story helps someone out there, the way we learnt from major contributors of this forum.

Thank you all.

16 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tmikejay: 1:24am On Jul 04, 2014
@AK007: congrats.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by omoniyi555: 2:55am On Jul 04, 2014
It is amazing to stumble on this forum i lived in phoenix Arizona USA and i believe i can be of help to a would be mother coming to give birth in the United State. Ask me any question about Phoenix Arizona and i will be delighted to answer your question.
Greetings

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by babyspice: 4:01am On Jul 04, 2014
@Tmikejay, congrats on your baby and the somewhat smooth entry. you probably ran into a border officer who doesn't like foreigners giving birth in the US and didn't want to use his hand to stamp you in and gave someone else that responsibility so he can have his "conscience" clear that he didn't stamp you in but someone else did!!!, sounds weird i know but oyibo are weird like that!! probably a tea-party member!!! Glad you got in ok.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by momofangels: 5:09am On Jul 04, 2014
Mollydee88: @all; I'm a little confused here.
I have booked my appointment via https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/; which included me as the primary applicant and my wife.

Having supplied all details correctly; in the scheduled print out i have; an error message states thus

''PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE OR MORE OF THE DS-160 NUMBERS USED TO SCHEDULE THIS APPOINTMENT CAN NOT BE VALIDATED. INCORRECT DS-160 NUMBERS MAY LEAD TO A DELAY IN BEING PROCESSED''

Please advise on what to do?
Hi Mollydee88, I had a smilar experience whilst scheduling my mums interview. I actually thought I'd have time and fill a new form to generate a new confirmation number for her as i was bit worried about the message but that never happened.
She ended up going with same confirmation and appointment details that was prompting the error message and it wasn't a biggie afterall as her visa was processed normally.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 7:44am On Jul 04, 2014
egariyi:

If he has added you, you dont need another appointment. One is just enough for both of you provided he added you on his own. Hope this answers your questions.
Yes it does. Thanks so much cheesy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 7:45am On Jul 04, 2014
Amazing mum:

Hi, iyawotobe. You only need to book a single appointment. In the link thru which you will book the appointment, there's a provision for including any additional persons you will be going with. So uld include the passport and application details of ur hubby in the appointment page because you will be going together. U will need to register on the site to schedule the appointment. https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/. @logictinz
Thanks Amazing mum kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 7:46am On Jul 04, 2014
mamacajah: @IyawoToBe, You need fill only one appointment form with both your names and application numbers. thats what we did for ours in May this.
Thanks so much kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 04, 2014
omoniyi555: It is amazing to stumble on this forum i lived in phoenix Arizona USA and i believe i can be of help to a would be mother coming to give birth in the United State. Ask me any question about Phoenix Arizona and i will be delighted to answer your question.
Greetings

Nice. Thanks for the offer. Be sure to get plenty questions.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Mollydee88: 10:30am On Jul 04, 2014
@Momofangels; Thank you very much for your response. I just hope this error will not affect our chances of being granted entry on the Interview date.

Please other persons view or personal experience concerning this statement below as indicated on my Scheduled appointment print-out can please advise;

''PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE OR MORE OF THE DS-160 NUMBERS USED TO SCHEDULE THIS APPOINTMENT CAN NOT BE VALIDATED. INCORRECT DS-160 NUMBERS MAY LEAD TO A DELAY IN BEING PROCESSED''
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Mollydee88: 10:31am On Jul 04, 2014
@AK007;
Congratulations and I am so happy for you guys. I tap into your blessing as well..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by egariyi(f): 11:01am On Jul 04, 2014
ifax:

Yes u can write to the embassy informing them ur plans have changed. However, u might be lucky the respond with the normal positive email or cancel ur visas.

Goodluck

Have you got the visa yet? If yes, you need to write to the Embassy informing them your circumstances has changed and that you will be going to the States to give birth. If no, all you need to do is to fill another DS160 form and change the confirmation number in your appointment log. Pls just select the B1/B2 (business/pleasure). This covers both leisure and medicals. You do not need to select medicals.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by omoniyi555: 11:03am On Jul 04, 2014
omoniyi555: It is amazing to stumble on this forum i lived in phoenix Arizona USA and i believe i can be of help to a would be mother coming to give birth in the United State. Ask me any question about Phoenix Arizona especially on the cost and procedure for having baby and i will be delighted to answer your question.
Greetings
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by egariyi(f): 11:04am On Jul 04, 2014
AK007: Good news! We welcomed our baby boy on 1st July at Oakbend Medical Center. Baby and mummy are doing good.

AK007

Congratulations and welldone to both of you. May the lil prince bring unending joy to your lives. grin
AK007: Good news! We welcomed our baby boy on 1st July at Oakbend Medical Center. Baby and mummy are doing good.

AK007

Congratulations and welldone to both of you. May the lil prince bring unending joy to your lives.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by egariyi(f): 11:11am On Jul 04, 2014
Mollydee88: @Momofangels; Thank you very much for your response. I just hope this error will not affect our chances of being granted entry on the Interview date.

Please other persons view or personal experience concerning this statement below as indicated on my Scheduled appointment print-out can please advise;

It is no biggie. It does happen whenever you change your DS160. We had it also cause I changed our DS160 forms upto 2 times but it didn't affect our interview neither visas.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by egariyi(f): 11:14am On Jul 04, 2014
@Timikejay, thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on smooth PoE. I have always said it that honesty matters! it does matter which PoE but once your intentions are declared, you dont have any thing to be afraid of.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kingsdaughter: 11:56am On Jul 04, 2014
Congrats @ PortHarcourtboy I am very much interested in popping with you and Alubosa in GRA grin
@Ak007 Big congrats on the new addition to your family

This Tsunami na wa o
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2014
@AK007, congrats on the safe delivery of your son.
@impish, nice to hear you are getting ready to come home. wishing you safe journey and a smooth trip home.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tumzee: 12:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
Congrats @Akoo7 on d delivery of ur Lil one . may God keep and bless d baby.
@Timikejay,congrats on the smooth entry...u will know that is God at work . look at d first question d officer asked u immediately u told him ur intentions . Thank God for God's intervention . really happy for ya family....wishing ur wife a safe delivery and also wishing other mamas a smooth entry and safe delivery.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by benik(f): 2:08pm On Jul 04, 2014
@Impish av sent another.

Congratulations to all on their safe deliveries. God will be faithful to complete all he has started in our lives.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by FinanceFitness: 2:31pm On Jul 04, 2014
Congrats @ PHman....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Amazingmum: 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
Mollydee88: @all; I'm a little confused here.
I have booked my appointment via https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/; which included me as the primary applicant and my wife.

Having supplied all details correctly; in the scheduled print out i have; an error message states thus

U may v entered the wrong numbers. Go back, confirm ur entries again. Or see if there's a way you can compare it with the number u received when u first registered.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Amazingmum: 5:09pm On Jul 04, 2014
[quote author=Tmikejay]NYC POE experience.

Thanks for the gist.... Very insightful.....
Pls can u advice the duration ur return ticket was for? What's the best advisable time frame.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by debrixxy: 6:20pm On Jul 04, 2014
congrats to impish and leaky tribe and Portharcourtboy, good news everywhere. grin
I'm here to share mine too, Indeed God is faithful. I went with my mum to Abuja for our interview and it went like this:
Vo: good morning
We: good morning. I kept eye contact with her while smiling throughout the interview.
Vo: what is your relationship with ds woman?
Me: She's my mum
Vo: where to in US?
Me: Rosenberg, Texas
Vo: Who are you going to Visit?
Me: My Uncle. & then it dawned on me that she mentioned VISIT; that's when I replied:
Me: But that's not my Purpose for going to the U.S
Vo: So what is your purpose?
Me: To have a baby
Vo: Oh ok, Is this your first child or you have others?
Me: It's my first and I want the best medical care for him. Turns to my mum & asks her
Vo: what she does, how much she earns, if she's married, what does her husband do, if she has travelled before, if it's her brother we are going to stay with? My mum gives straight answers to all of them and then she turns to me and asks.
Vo: What do you do?
Me: Right now I run a fashion label with my sister, I used to be an Operations Engr with an Oil company but I quit my job last year blc of the nature of my job; I was trying to have a baby
Vo: So how much do u earn ryt now?
Me: On d average of N50,000 monthly, but my Husband Is the one sponsoring
Vo: So what does he do & where does he work?
We: He's an ICT Administrator with ******
Vo: Turns to my mum and asks who's sponsoring her?
Mum: My son-in-law, her husband.
Vo: Turns to me and asks: Have you ever travelled out before?
Me: No, I've never really had any reason to.
Vo: How long and when do you intend to travel to the U.S
Me: 11weeks from July 22nd
Vo: Have you made contact with any Doctor?
Me: Yes, I hand over the email correspondence with Dr. fagbohun and the bill attachment.
Vo: No I just want to see the cost.
Me: It's on the 2nd page, and while she's studying it I mention that I have a budget spreadsheet and hand it over.
Vo: Studying it and nodding her head says: Your visa has been approved and gave us d white paper, u can pick it up on Monday.
Mum and I walked out smiling which attracted all the security guards to beg us for money. lol grin

I want to add that HONESTY pays a lot; Only the Doctor's bill was asked for, I pointed out that I had a budget sheet while handing it over, she looked rather impressed with it. Please go with your Budget sheet, very important cos it shows how prepared you are.

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this great forum and to our success especially Miri7b5n cos we exchanged emails and she kept giving me tips & encouragement.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL. wink

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 7:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hi,
I also had a similar issue with my husband's DS-160 form when booking for our appointment.
What i did was to fill another form for him and then instead of scheduling one appointment for both of us, i removed him as an additional applicant on my profile, created his own profile separately and booked separately but it was the same date and d same time.
It doesn't really matter if you both go with one appointment or two appointments, as long as you appear together same day and same time. The koko is that you should both pick one number when you get to the embassy. That is what will link you both and cause you both to appear together in front of the VO.
But since others said they didnt need to change anything and dint have issues with their visa processing, then maybe its nothing.

Mollydee88:

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (402)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.