Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,130 members, 7,967,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 01:23 PM

61mech's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 61mech's Profile / 61mech's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:36pm On Feb 07, 2018
I agree on the use of auto laying and aiming, but not loading. Methinks this was conceived to separate Arabs with more money than sense from their petrodollars.

Actually, Denel once claimed that the new LR 60mm ammo is almost as deadly as traditional 81mm rounds due to the body being longer and holding more HE filling. Maybe they're using pre-formed frag like with the new 105mm rounds. I'm curious if the new rounds with fire from a patmor. Cant see why not.

I agree that they should keep the Ratel 81's in inventory. Those Ratels general didn't get beat up as much as Ratel 20's or 90's, so they should keep on trucking for a long time. I actually think they'd have a bigger market if they developed a LR 81mm tube and ammo like they did with the 60mm. I can see a lot of armies swapping their 120mm's for a 81mm with 90% of the bang.
The Thales Scorpion can fit a 81mm tube if I'm not mistaken. The Recces are married to their 60mm's. Can't practically carry anything bigger in their clown cars. I still don't get why they got rid of their Tapirs. Suspect some people were making out like bandits with surplus vehicle sales in the 90's and during the war on terror.

The Italians will no doubt add 120mm Centauro's to that orbat as the need arises.

frumentius:

Thanks for this. I was initially apprehensive lest my opinion be too influenced by SA doctrine. I agree with you on the 60mm/patmor pairing.

As you rightly point out, Denel's long range 60mm now shoots out to the same range as 81mm. Effect-on-range vs fire-on-range?
For example; I'll use Ratel as Badger is a work in progress and classified:
Ratel can carry either
1) 148- 81mm bombs at a weight of 666kg;
2) 391- 60mm bombs; and
3) 41- 120mm mortars, for the same weight.

Assuming a sustained rate of fire of 16 bombs/minute that means 120mm support fire for 2.5 minutes, 81mm for 9.25 minutes and 60mm for 24.4 minutes.
Now, the logs guys simplistically say do away with the 81mm and carry more of the 60mm which has same range and better accuracy.
I disagree. Keep the 60 as a Patmor, use the limited tech funds on the 81mm and motorise the 120mm. Away from our planning desks and screens, the guys down-range need to do more than just keep people under cover wink. Logs job is simply to remove the worry of supply from the guys on the front [On Friday afternoon, 22 March, everyone at JOps knew fecal matter was flowing in Bangui and the logs guys were hamstrung by the TTPs such that relief only arrived on Tues, at great expense and too late to be of use].

As for the automated mortars: having recently observed the Recces using the Scorpion[auto laying and aiming] system both in manual and auto loading, not much to choose between the 2 on the bang side of things. Major difference in shortening the "fire discipline" process.

But back to the Italians: I noticed their anti-tank capability is all dismounts, and not vehicle-borne? What's up with that?

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:29pm On Feb 07, 2018
I'd move the 60mm to the platoon level. Also use a patmor instead of the long range tube. Much more mobile. Problem with having so many mortars in the platoon is the ammo. You can only carry so much and 3 tubes will eat up your stock pretty quick.Although the long range 60mm round is almost as effective as a 81mm HE according to Denel. Cant see why you shouldn't be able to shoot it from a patmor with lower charge.

You'd also find it difficult to find space in your section IFV for a 2 man mortar crew. Thats why they usually ride with the platoon command vehicle. Also, the section leader has his hands full just running the squad and being shouted at over the platoon radio net. Don't think they'll do well with the extra job of directing mortars. 6km range is overkill. The platoon should concentrate on fighting whats in front of them. I like the idea of a dedicated weapons section added to the platoon like what the USMC has. Having them in a dedicated vehicle gives the platoon leader many more options on how to use them for something like over-watch positions and ambushes. I'd have a 60mm mortar, heavy MG (with 338 norma LWMMG machine gun) and may be a ATGM crew in it.

I'd swap out the 60 for the 40mm MGL and have the section 2ic run it. He directs your MG nr1 and 2. The 40mm could be useful for him to mark targets for the gunner, shoot short range illumination at night and lay down short range HE. The ammo is also much more manageable.

As far as the 120mm goes I prefer the Israeli Spear over the auto loaders.
They ad too much complexity to what's supposed to be a simple and reliable weapon. I don't buy the whole "reduced workload" argument. I your crew cant handle 16 rpm of 120mm, they need to go back to the gym, not hire a robot. Grandpa did it in Tobruc so can you. I personally feel these auto loaders are pushed by the manufacturers ,so they can triple the price.

I'd also add some organic direct fire support to the orbat. 76mm and up.
I also don't see a lot of logistics tail in that orbat. Hope they add some supply transport. Seeing things like fuel bunkers, water bowsers and general supply trucks in the orbat can tell you a lot more about how long and at what range that coy can operate. They probably just have it in the Bn. orbat that the coy is part of.

frumentius:

Hopefully these links will let you see it clearly:
http://3.bp..com/-IR3hAOalfPU/TjUkjWYKZNI/AAAAAAAAAck/JzWUk4Sehec/s1600/Compagnia_fucilieri_Fanteria_Media.png

Hope I don't fall foul of the pestilential bot: http://1.bp..com/-vejXl1tClqg/TjUkkspP8HI/AAAAAAAAAco/KBBzGG4ugmY/s1600/Compagnia_supporto_alla_manovra_Fanteria_Media.png

I'm biased here but I prefer this automatic self-loading 120mm, which Denel has supplied to the UAE.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2018
Quoted from another forum by Abraham Gubler

"Exercise Magersfontein in 1988 was a preamble for a amphibious landing at the port of Namibe.
This was to be called Operation Kwevoel (Go Away Bird) for the SAN and 44 Para Bde to cut Cuban lines of communication by seizing the port of Namibe. SAS Tafleberg and five strike craft (for force protection and NGS) would land the SA Marines' Amphib Coy by D-80 (Delta) landing craft to seize a beachhead. No doubt with 4 Recce securing the beach beforehand. Then two companies of paras would come ashore from the Tafleberg via the Deltas and Puma helos. The SAAF with 10 C-130s and C-160s would then para drop another two companies of paras, engineers, the Ferret anti tank unit, 14.5mm HMGs for air defence and a 120mm mortar equipped light battery. Once the port was seized the engineers would destroy the facilities by demolition. However the truce was signed on August 8, 1988 and Operation Kwevoel was not needed."

MikeCZA:
Mostly spec ops.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:56pm On Jan 22, 2018
frumentius:
That time we put the ZA-35 on a T-72. Anybody got the pics of the T-72 at AAD/DEXSA back in the early 90s?

4 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:36pm On Nov 25, 2017
The Tiffies were the unsung hero's of those Ops. You'd often hear OC's talk of them like they were in love.
I've seen mechanics work on engines while they were being towed through the bush. Head down the engine compartment with feet sticking out.
You can swap a Casspir axle and suspension in 30 mins.

Also consider that most of our drivers were farm boys that grew up working on vehicles from a very young age. They were practically mechanics in their own right.

newafricaken254:
don't act dumb,your ratel,casspir,SAMIL 100,Olifant e.t.c were being utilised deep inside angola,how were they being repaired and maintained!?

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2017
During the Iran/Iraq war Saddam's G-5's were blowing barrels. Most likely cause were crews firing at full charge and exceeding their ROF overheating their barrels.

Apparently Saddam was furious and Armscor was asked to find the cause. A friend of mine who worked at Somchem was part of the project. He told me they had to "catch" a 155mm round intact after it was fired to see what was happening with the barrel. They tried some interesting techniques to achieve this. If I told you, you wouldn't believe the story.
The ones at the museum might be one of these test barrels or one used in development of the gun.

The pick of the old 140mm on the Kwe was from a arms show from the late 80's. Think it was just a feasibility demonstrator for the army.

ActivateKruger:

Apparently the was a G5 that had a faulty shell that killed loaders days after arriving in south Angola. I can't find the link now but I remember reading about it and it wasn't on the Russian propaganda website (we know how they tend to tell propaganda about the whole battle).

If I find a link at any given time, I'll post it up.
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 10:03pm On Sep 26, 2017
Rooikat's main mission is reconnaissance. The biggest reason for its mobility was to run away from tanks, not take them on directly. The suspension system and drivetrain were more important than the gun.
Make contact with the enemy to fix his position and then retreat and let the G-5's and Airforce do their job. Also for doing probing attacks for various reasons like gauging enemy strength to find weaknesses in their defensive lines. Same with the Eland it replaced.

Ratel 90 was the fire support vehicle for mechanised formations in the SADF. We did train with Rooikat in that role during manoeuvres though.
Ratel 90 and Eland 90 contacts with tanks in Angola was not how we were supposed to fight. It was done out of necessity. The terrain was also a bit of an equaliser. You never take on tanks with armoured cars if you can avoid it, no matter how big your gun is.

andrewza:

as i said long range raider. But it was never at any point ever seen as a tank destroyer. All so the eland had very big mobility issues and not nearly good enough endurance to make it a good scout for our mechanized forces

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:47pm On Sep 26, 2017
Think those guys are ABS. "Afdeling Binnenlandse Stabiliteit".
I still have a pair of those cammo's I traded for some steel R4 50 round mags from them.

GreenandGold:
The STF deployed in an East Rand township at the times of the pre-94 election violence.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:50am On Sep 21, 2017
Our doctrine is/was also heavily influenced by logistics. The heavier your get, the more trucks you need in your echelon and the more your rely on engineering ,mechanics etc. Our logistics were heavily stressed in 88/89. The infrastructure in Africa also comes into play. Bridges and roads can only take so much weight.

Same issue with up gunning Rooikat to 105/120mm. You have less rounds on board and thus become more reliant on your log. tail catching up. Similar to having a smaller fuel tank.

jln115:

So what is our long term strategy to increase our Armour capability(As in our armoured corps), The new Badger fitted with Ingwe will obviously be added to our Armoured formation, and obviously there once was a requirement for an Olifant replacement.....but only a 100 or so units. As you said mobility is still the way we will fight in the future, those this mean that we will be looking more in to lighter, faster wheeled vehicles in the future if we decide expand our armoured capability......a newer Rooikat 105mm or modern Eland replacement comes to mind!!, or will we focus more on replacing our heavy less mobile armour like the Olifant? maybe building up a decent Tank fleet!!

@Activatekruger anything you'll like to add?? also whats your take on how we should expand our armoured capability, maybe a Rooikat with a 120mm would be a great mix of firepower and mobility?

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2017
Stop counting tanks and give this a read.

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

ssaengine:

You clearly have no clue as to the scale of Egypt's military. South Africa and Nigeria's assets combined would be swallowed up by them.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 5:45pm On Sep 19, 2017
That's a Patmor (patrol mortar) Very bad practice to call it a knee mortar for obvious reasons.

Most SADF units (MECH and MOT) used them. Excellent weapon.We used it for illumination, HE, and target marking. An experienced gunner can consistently drop 60mm bombs on a tank size target at 500+ meters. My platoon patmor crew could put 6 in the air before the first one dropped. We could spread a lot of ammo throughout the platoon, because the rounds were so small.
Its very usefull for a platoon commander to have a indirect fire weapon in his toolbox.

ActivateKruger:

In the SANDF, mortars are bread and butter of the infantry. Bases have them, the Ratel has a 60mm version called the Ratel 60 as well as the 81mm version, the new Denel Badger has a mortar turret, the Special Forces have a dedicated mortar Hornet vehicle they use for "behind the enemy lines assaults". Even parabats just with a knee mortar.

I often wonder how a good number of African forces deploy without mortar.

4 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:50am On Sep 18, 2017
It looked cool and I thought the Israelis couldn't possibly f@(k up a rifle.
Never handled a worse gun in my life.

frumentius:

In the name of all that's holy, why did you get the Tavor?
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:52pm On Sep 17, 2017
I'm saving my pennies to buy one of these next. They're a lot more expensive than my AK's and AR's. Selling my POS Tavor as soon as I get a buyer.
I'm busy restoring an ex SADF R1 for my Dad to shoot when he comes to visit me. Someone put a lot of aftermarket crap on it, so I'm putting old SADF furniture on as I get my hands on it.
Bought it from a dealer who had 11 SADF R1s in stock. No idea how they made it into the USA.

frumentius:

Personally, I think there's a place for both 5.56 and 7.62 rounds.
The 5.56 for FIBUA, to minimise civilian collateral damage; and 7.62 out in the bush.
Incidentally, been thinking about a replacement for the R-series (cos we'll have to replace it at some point):
1) Most logical is a licence-produced Galil ACE in both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO - out obviously because politics;
2) And I keep circling back to the CZ Bren 2, in both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO.

Licence-produced of course, and achieving economies of scale through equipping both SANDF and SAPS.

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2017
Why do you want to make the army's assault rifle less deadly in the first place ?
The R-4 has a folding stock, so its not a problem in vehicle operations. If you want to start chopping 100s of ft. in velocity ,you should have a better reason than cool looks. The US made a big error when they went with the shorter M4 for everyone. The loss in terminal effects at range in Afghanistan is well documented. A peer opponent with body armor will be an even bigger problem. That's why they are giving serious consideration to adding more 7.62mm weapons to their squads.

We are not part of NATO, so why not upgrade our caliber next time we switch to a new rifle ? 6.5mm Grendel would be an excellent bush breaker and be relevant for decades. If we switch the LMG over to it ,it would actually make logistics easier as well. Our rifle ammo load would get heavier, but our belted LMG load would get lighter. Remember, the LMG ammo gets spread out in your section.

patches689:

Yes, I know thats why I made my post.

As carbines go, the R5 has a higher muzzle velocity than the standard service rifles of other nations (which are all carbines these days). [because 5.56×45mm NATO is a marvelous round]

Just been reading about how 5.56×45 is kind of a double edged sword. It doesnt expand much on impact and has a small "yaw" leading to a higher probability of wounding an enemy soldier (at range) as apposed to killing - HOWEVER - because the round does not expand, it is excellent at penetrating light cover, which is great for bush-fighting.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:21pm On Aug 30, 2017
Can't leave him stuck in the trap on his own now, can I.
South African BARB (Boosted Anti-Radiation Bomb) from 1992

ssaengine:

You fell for the trap

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 12:23am On Aug 14, 2017
Can't beat SA for surviving a full Thermo nuclear war. Fall-out will be concentrated in the northern hemisphere carried by the jetstream.

ActivateKruger:
According to this report, Cape Town is likely one of the best places to run to if Donald Trump decides to start a nuclear WWIII with North Korea.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/1981979/here-are-nine-of-the-safest-places-in-the-world-to-survive-a-third-world-war/

As for me, I'm less likely to live in the waterless Cape. grin
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:58pm On Aug 10, 2017
I've seen 2 of these go off at exercises. Awesome show.
The SADF engineers also had a mine called the "crater mine". It was used to simply blow up a road so that you'd have to build a bridge to get across the hole. It made the biggest explosion and dust cloud id ever seen.

Algerian1:

on algerian military forum they are not sure about what exactly system its , algeria have good relation with Rheinmetall and Denel maybe its the same system then yours grin

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:37am On Aug 07, 2017
4 250kg bombs give you better spread if your target is spaced out. Also works better on soft skinned vehicles. Trust me, I've been near 250's when they are dropped and it's no joke. Take extra underwear.

The bombs that the SAAF use in exercise also differs from operational weapons. On real operational targets they get to take the expensive Pre-frag bombs out of storage. Those things make a mess out of anything other than a tank.
We had a big fuel air bomb in testing that was very impressive, but the funding dried up. Would have worked well on insurgents.

Stephandeswardt:
Also we need to stop bombing with 250kg bombs.....the minimum for bombing runs should be 500kg bombs......sometimes when the airforce shows bombing runs and I see vehicles driving off.....I wonder if staffing by aircraft cannons and rockets aren't more effective. ...
Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:36am On Aug 07, 2017
Fragmentation goes out way further than that for those bombs. Especially if is a preformed frag designs.

nemesis2u:

depends on

1.cost operational effectiveness,
2.the maximum permissible load of the individual weapon stations,
3.the mission profile
4.and the type of targets

etc

generally (very rough figures)

a 250 kg bomb has a blast radius out to 15 meters, with fragmentation effect out to 50 meters.

a 500 kg bomb has a blast radius out to 30 meters, with fragmentation effect out to 100 meters.

whats the point of attacking a hut with 3/4 insurgents with a 500kg bomb ?

will u be able to bear the costs , in such cases cost operational effectiveness is very low , ur expending more dollars for killing targets which can also be killed easily with cheaper bombs. in short ur playing into the hands of insurgents ie slow but steady attrition of ur resources

whats happens if multiple targets pops up , in place of 2 500kg bombs if u can carry 4 250kg bombs ur engagement scope increases.

is the aircraft in question certified to carry 500kg stores , if yes good if no then nothing can be done (depends on aircraft type)

if ur in a seach and destroy mission which one is generally more convenient, 4 250 kg bombs or 2 500 kg bombs

unguided bombs r more effective if released in a pattern.eg 4 250 kg bombs released in a linear drop pattern will damage a long convoy more than 2 500kg bomb.

heavier 500kg bombs r more difficult to deliver accurately vis a vis lighter 250kg bombs. difference aint much but still appreciable depending on the aircraft in question.

etc

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2017
4 250kg bombs give you better spread if your target is spaced out. Also works better on soft skinned vehicles. Trust me, I've been near 250's when they are dropped and it's no joke. Take extra underwear.

The bombs that the SAAF use in exercise also differs from operational weapons. On real operational targets they get to take the expensive Pre-frag bombs out of storage. Those things make a mess out of anything other than a tank.
We had a big fuel air bomb in testing that was very impressive, but the funding dried up.

Stephandeswardt:
Also we need to stop bombing with 250kg bombs.....the minimum for bombing runs should be 500kg bombs......sometimes when the airforce shows bombing runs and I see vehicles driving off.....I wonder if staffing by aircraft cannons and rockets aren't more effective. ...

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
Attack helicopter armed with a 12.7mm gunpod.
Just sad.

jakeporeshenko:
German Air Force helicopters currently deployed to Mali, I think one of those tiger helicopters were involved in a fatal crash recently. RIP to its crew.

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:59pm On Jul 24, 2017
The nuclear bomb project was dismantled by the De Klerk administration. All the fissile material produced lies in the cooling pools at the safari reactor. The bombs were actually never assembled for safety reasons.
Everything gram was accounted for and verified by the IAEA and is regularly inspected by them. No conspiracy here, just some people selling books about "red mercury" and missing apartheid bombs.

BTW. anyone selling nukes in the ME wouldn't life long enough to enjoy the cash. Mossad will come knocking pretty quickly.

kikuyu1:
Any idea on your former nukes? Btw,when Mandela agreed to have the remaining bombs decomissioned I lost ALL hope,but thats another story....

Initially it was only planned to build six nuclear warheads here but Eventually 14 were being planned for. Israel had to quit its cooperation due to heavy pressure from the United States of America.

http://censorbugbear-reports..co.ke/2014/08/peek-inside-deserted-nuclear-bomb.html
It seems the usual suspects got their hands on at least 3 which ended up in the ME ;from which the trail grows cold.

http://petereyrepatch..co.ke/2010/03/us-and-uk-lost-three-nuclear-weapons_04.html

How sure are you the disassembled bombs are still in situ Pelindaba?

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2017
What was the Mk1 ?
The R-4 was a straight up, licenced Galil clone. There was no "teething" problems, because the gun was at that point fully developed and tested by the Israelis in pretty harsh conditions. The steel mags worked so well that the SAP guys constantly tried buying some from me, because they felt it was better than their plastic mags.

Ammo was as good as any NATO rounds of the day. Like I said, the only problems I'm aware of from my years in the SADF and being around thousands of R-4's was the 35 and 50 round mags being overloaded by troops. I have a Golani sporter in my gun collection to this day. There's problems with some of them here in the US, because some were rebuilt out of parts kits by companies who didn't know what they were doing. I actually plan on selling my POS Tavor and buying a 7.62x39 ACE as soon as I can get my hands on one.

As for the guys character, there was a arrest warrant out for him when he died and if he was into that type of thing I wouldn't put it past him to make up BS.
Either way, one of my friends here is an ex Rhodie SAS and 44 Pathfinder vet. He runs the us chapter of Rhodesian/SA bushwar vets here in the US. Said he'll make some enquiries about this guy. Theirs lot of guys in the US and UK claiming they were Rhodie SAS/44/32/recce (take your pick) vets. Some of them were actual bona vide US/UK vets and even some SF guys trying to boost their CV's at a time when the US/UK armies didn't have a lot of combat experience. Pretty easy for them to sniff out a BS story, because the community is so small and they all know each other.

kikuyu1:

Yes,but his was obviously the Mk 1 which had typical teething issues. The child porn thing wasn't relevant.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
Dogshyte
I've shot my R-4 so hot the paint came off it. Once I set the front part of my sling on fire and burned my fingers. Never had a problem with shooting it hot apart from the handguard melting, but then , if you're going to get it hot you'd have the bipod out.

Believe me, SF vets can be just as full of bullshit stories as anyone else. All machined receivers get hotter than stamped ones. Doesnt mean the gun will malfunction. The lube will start to burn off though, so you'll end up with a dry gun.
I've never heard of the inferior metal theory. I wonder why the Israelis sourced the steel blend for their Merkava from the RSA if we didn't know anything about metallurgy.

As the double feeding R-4. That happens when you load 35 rounds into the 35 round mag. They just call it a 35 round mag.You're supposed to download it to 30.
I guess, being an SAS man he though he didn't have to read the manual and wanted those 5 xtra rounds for making headshots.

Ps. Just as a character reference. This guy was being investigated for child porn before he died.

kikuyu1:

Exactly! The INSAS was meant to work in 30-celsius Kargil and 45+ celsius 100% humidity of Kanyakumari in the far south! As I always say,hear what the operator,the real life shooter says of a rifle or any other weapons system. In this case see what ex SAS John McAleese who fought in Rhodesia and was one the founders of 44 Para says of the R4 after it let him down:
http://www.oocities.org/odjobman/nomean.htm

How and why was such an operationally unready rifle issued??

3 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:49am On Jun 21, 2017
What would you think Zuma and his Indian buddies would do if they had access to a "black budget" with zero oversight ?
Corruption has a far bigger influence over your live in SA (or any other African country) than war.

If there were less secrecy and more oversight when the arms deal happened ,we would have probably ended up with a better deal for the taxpayer and the SANDF. Lots of items on that shopping list came from greedy politicians smelling an easy buck and not necessarily from what the SANDF wanted or needed.

ActivateKruger:

The only invasion that could ever occurred could have been from Zim. So Zim is down and out then nothing will over occur.

My biggest concern with South Africa's defence affairs is the sensationalised media. I once read a main media article years ago banishing the purchase of the Badger. The reporter who obviously had no military background information went on about how many schools would have been built with the money.

As I said, the military should have a black budget and place things under the Secrecy Bill to stop journalists from snooping around on sensitive defence issues.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
GreenandGold:
Throwback.

Ratel in a staging area, nothern Namibia.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:31pm On Jun 03, 2017
Miss my Ratel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcSsaSvMwE

61mech:
The Germans didn't order their Tigers with guns and ended up regretting it.
A gun is many times more cost effective for most targets. Especially in COIN warfare.
Only the big boys can afford to shoot a $115 000 hellfire at a $10 000 toyota.

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:19pm On Jun 03, 2017
The Germans didn't order their Tigers with guns and ended up regretting it.
A gun is many times more cost effective for most targets. Especially in COIN warfare.
Only the big boys can afford to shoot a $115 000 hellfire at a $10 000 toyota.

Henry240:

Taking up a much needed hardpoint that ordinarily should carry another rocket rack.

No Sir, this is not a well thought out helicopter. Instead of this, the army whenever they are ready should go for armed LUH instead.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 9:21pm On May 31, 2017
If all your cost of RnD, industrialisation, jigs, training etc. is only spread over 12 airframes , that's what it's going to cost per unit. It's still a business and accounting rules apply. Indian LCH is going to be bought in big nr's (180 i think) and it shares production components with the Dhruv.

Rooivalk is actually a very high performance aircraft if you compare it to other high end attack helos in flight performance.
The attack/avionics suite that was planned was very sophisticated at the time , but they couldn't finish before the budget got slashed. They had to go with inferior French systems that you get with the Tiger. Some of this was because of corruption as well. More money was wasted when they tried to compete with the Apache for the British and Turkish army contracts and they had to develop Mokopa, because the US refused to supply hellfire with it. Our biggest problem is that we can't provide financing for these deals because SA banks will not underwrite Denel's arm deals. This is a major handicap for all our weapons exports.

This is a picture thread however, so here's some pics of the 30mm gun that was planned and the naval version.

kikuyu1:

True but look at the Indian LCH 50% cheaper than yours. My point remains: you should've gone for a more basic lite design cause now you're competing with the Apache and Euro Tiger,pushed by heavy weight global politics.
Here's what one of your websites says:
http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/what-went-wrong-with-the-rooivalk-2007-06-08-1

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:47am On May 31, 2017
The high price of the Rooivalk is because of the low production nr's. Its called economies of scale.
If it was produced as planned 36+ airframes the price would have been lower. That's one of the reasons they need a order of at least 60-80 to get production started again. You see the same thing every time the US congress cuts the order for the F-35 or f-22. The unit price goes up instantly.

The development of the aircraft were actually done extremely cheaply compared to other A-helos. A colleague of mine who worked at Atlas at the time told me when the Americans came over for a visit they asked about how much it cost to develop. They didn't believe the nr. Atlas gave them and felt a bit insulted because they thought they were joking.

kikuyu1:
This is an interesting resource on weapons systems prices;everything from SAMs to MPAs.

http://nationsdawnofanera.weebly.com/-helicopters.html

HAL LCH 30 MN$

HAL Rudra 15 MN$

KA 50 42.5 MN$

KA 52 55 MN$

MI 24 12 MN

MI24 D 15 MN

MI 28 NE 40 MN

MI 35 16 MN

ROOIVALK 45 MN

AH-1 Cobra 20 MN

AH-1W SuperCobra 30 MN

AH-1Z Viper 40 MN

AH-6 10 MN

S Africans,I hope you see why the Rooivalk can't sell. If you produce a light version at 30-50% off you'll find a buyer.

I'dve thought the KAF would first go for transport. 3 years back a C 295 was doing circuits above MAB and we all thought a couple were en route,but alas!
We need light and medium lifters as of yesterday! Imo,even more than newer FSBs. Ideally,at least 6 C295s and 2 Y8s.hanxi Y8 35 MN$

Shanxi Y9 45 MN$

c 295 35 mn

C 235 25 MN$

1 Like

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 3:05pm On May 27, 2017
An APC is supposed to have better protection in all aspects than a MRAP by definition .Some form of mine protection (what is now called IED's for some reason) is supposed to be standard for APC's and IFV's for the last 60 years. Bottom and side attacking(PFF) mines have been used in conventional war for a long time. They are only different from IED's in the fact that they are industrially produced.

The concept of the MRAP was to give vehicles that perform the job of humvee's ,landrovers etc. better protection in asymmetric warfare. Those Chinese AFV's would not make it past the first round of blast testing at Denel.
As for the lower price. You're going to pay a higher price in lost lives and low morale.

kabe1:

The Nigerian Big Foot MRAPs have proven to be very effective in combat.

You cannot compare a basic APC to a vehicle designed to counter IEDs. This is were you are wrong.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 10:33pm On May 15, 2017
Complete waste of time to teach HtoH combat to any infantry soldier.

The reality is that when you train soldiers you only have so many hours in a day and months in a year to get train any soldier up to a operational level of proficiency in a multitude of disciplines. Everything from rifle proficiency to map reading/navigation to parade ground work.
You wouldn't believe how training it takes to get a platoon to be proficient in night navigation and map work alone.

Then you have to work on fitness, vehicle drills, operating a radio properly etc.etc.etc Weapons training takes a huge amount of time. The average infantry soldier had to master theory, handling and maintenance of minimum 12 or so different weapons systems. Not only your personal weapon , but cross training on everyone else's.
All these things are crucial and you have to get everyone up to a decent level of proficiency.
Martial arts training to the level of being able to kill someone in hand to hand combat takes long hours, every day. I'd guess maybe 2-3 hours a day. So now I have to cut training somewhere else to make time. Frankly i'd rather have a guy that doesn't get his ass lost in the bush or sets a claymore the wrong way around than a Ninja.

You could make the argument that it has some use for SF, but they have even more time restrictions and skill sets to learn.

Odunayaw:
its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

close quarters combat is not SEGA

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.