Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,821 members, 7,872,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:09 PM

Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? (5983 Views)

Is It An Insult For A Mother To Ask Her Adult Daughter To Buckle Her Shoes? / Conversation Between Nigerian Dad And His Daughter On Facebook / His 5 Years Old Son Wrote In His Play Book "I Don't Like My Mum And Dad" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by Mojibola(m): 10:30am On Mar 21, 2011
chei!!!!!!, slap for 3am, different ringtones go just dey sound, na because she be girl na, may hm go try am for guy, na "dapada" straight, Notime, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 21, 2011
unless the girl is bringing home some serious bacon, na so e go be
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by emmatok(m): 10:42am On Mar 21, 2011
orbaxy:

T'is a no-good discussion. shouldnt be on the first page.

Why Nigeria?? even in the US, fathers strike daughters.

sometimes, argument between father/son or daughter can deteriorate so much so that tempers flay and restraints are lost.
Her father could have struck her for a million reasons. wait till you hear from him. I ain't saying is proper but girls of nowadays have lost it.
poo happens bro.

Thank you my  brother.

People just come online to bash Nigerians for everything.

A lot of White parents in UK hit their adult kids everyday.

While some Nigerians will never hit their kids.

The truth is that must parent are too protective of their kids, especially female ones for obvious reasons e.g unwanted pregnancy.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by callme2: 10:49am On Mar 21, 2011
@poster

Are you a Nigerian?

My dad can flog ehn! Even on the buttoks not minding your age
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by rashylous(m): 10:52am On Mar 21, 2011
*BG Available for Lease*

*Procedure for BG leasing between #1B - #49B*

INSTRUMENT DESCRIPTION

*Instrument* NIGERIAN BANK GUARANTEE

*AMOUNT*:

*Tenure* 365 days

*LTV* 25+5

*Asset* Cashbacked

*PAYMENT*: Bank Transfer

*BANKING OPERATIONAL PROCEDURE*

1) The receiver issue LOI addressed to provider stating purpose of the BG

2) The Provider sends DOA across.

3) Receiver signs and returns DOA with certificate of company registration.

4. RECEIVER ISSUE *TWO(2) SEPARATE 3% FUND RESERVATION LETTERS AND RECEIVERS ACCOUNT OFFICER TRANSMIT VIA ACCOUNT OFFICER TO PROVIDERS NOMINATED ACCOUNT OFFICERS BANK TO BANK SECURED EMAIL*

5) The issuers bank confirms the *FRLs* thereafter issues BG of the face value (N6B) within 5 banking days.

6. RECEIVERS BANK RECEIVES THE ₦6B BG SOFT COPY

7. *WITHIN 24HOURS THE RECEIVERS BANK TRANSFERS THE 3% AMOUNT TO PROVIDERS ACCOUNTS*

8. Receiver shall send *The 27% Hard Copy of Post Dated cheques across via courier services To Providers Address*

9) The providers bank send the Hard Copy to receivers bank.

10). RECEIVER SHALL WITHIN 15 BANKING DAYS, MAKE PAYMENT OF FINAL LTV BALANCE TO PROVIDER and all CONSULTANTS.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by amaechijay: 11:36am On Mar 21, 2011
It is very possible.

My dad still screams and hits my sister and I even though we are older than the girl in question; working and paying for the house we all live in.

It's so annoying because we are the ones feeding and taking care of my parents yet they treat us as though we are teenagers, no single respect whatsoever.

I've made up my mind to move out this yr because of their behaviour. My sister can stay on if she wants , angry angry angry
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by enomakos(m): 12:11pm On Mar 21, 2011
he shall have use the cain

ladies of nowaday have lost it
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by enomakos(m): 12:21pm On Mar 21, 2011
call-me:

@poster

Are you a Nigerian?

My dad can flog ehn! Even on the buttoks not minding your age

ur dad na correct papa
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by yvy1(f): 12:28pm On Mar 21, 2011
Very very possible. Parents like to be given at least 2 hours notice before their daughters go out and a detailed itineray if possible in this country because they might have made other plans for the family that evening and as long as she is still under their roof she has to comply otherwise one day she'll just cone back and see all her belongings outside.

As others have rightly pointed out, the guy must stop dating her in secret if his intentions are good so that the parents will at least be able to put a face to who she is hanging out with (a girl can not keep lying that she is out with her girlfriends everyday and night).

Then again, maybe the chick no too send the guy and just used that as an excuse not to see him cos it will be hard for him to verify from an impartial source.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by duduspace(m): 3:00pm On Mar 21, 2011
@OP

Can't speak for all Nigerian ethnicities but in yorubaland, you are always your parent's kids, even if yu're taller than mountain kilimanjaro, my mama can climb a stool to dish you better slap if you misbehave while in her house and that is why you don't go home too often after you leave, so that your parents get it into their heads that a bird has flown the nest, they will do anything for you to appreciate the little time they get to spend with you.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by eghost247(m): 3:04pm On Mar 21, 2011
duduspace:

@OP

Can't speak for all Nigerian ethnicities but in yorubaland, you are always your parent's kids, even if yu're taller than mountain kilimanjaro, my mama can climb a stool to dish you better slap if you misbehave while in her house and that is why you don't go home too often after you leave, so that your parents get it into their heads that a bird has flown the nest, they will do anything for you to appreciate the little time they get to spend with you.
correct
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2011
NOT ONLY IS IT POSSIBLE, it is actually ACCEPTABLE by law and customs, in actual fact anyone that says anything against it is seen as an enemy of progress or an undisciplined person EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR DISAPPROVAL

taking away beating or physical abuse form of discipline from a Nigerian man is taking away his manhood  grin

and if we want to push it further,, striking your wife will solicit almost the same response  tongue

there are instances where a judge will actually dissolve a marriage due to physical violence without ordering for the arrest of the husband  undecided
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by PremierGuy(m): 5:00pm On Mar 21, 2011
In the Nigerian culture I grew up in 27 years old male or female is nothing, when it comes to beating.
I think this has to do the family culture that is passed down the generations.
A very close lady, almost 40years and married with 2kids was heavily scolded and nearly beaten by her dad who is a very influential Senator.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by mayofab(f): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
Before nko, if im still livinguner my fadas roof and i mess up , the man no go even hesitate sad
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by mayofab(f): 5:25pm On Mar 21, 2011
Before nko, if im still living under my fadas roof and i mess up , the man no go even hesitate sad . his hand will just connect with my face
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ebealways: 5:26pm On Mar 21, 2011
it's possible!
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ddippset(m): 6:07pm On Mar 21, 2011
a nigerian man would smack and slap even his 40 year old wife not to talk of a 27 year old GIRL. in this part of the world is 27 really an adult? adulthood here begins @ 32.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by obowunmi(m): 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2011
ddippset:

a nigerian man would smack and slap even his 40 year old wife not to talk of a 27 year old GIRL. in this part of the world is 27 really an adult? adulthood here begins @ 32.

Actually for a woman, begins the moment a woman obtains children.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by CILondon: 10:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
Nigerian men are so savage and backward. No wonder everyone over here in Europe dislikes them so mucn.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by naijangel7(f): 11:12pm On Mar 21, 2011
It's not a Nigerian thing, it's really an African thing. You can see it being comically portrayed in Black American movies (Lady  Killers, for example) in which mothers or grandmothers beat their grown up kids. It's not always right but it is done. My family has a family friend whose father beats her to this day. She is now 35 years old. In one instance he beat her and kept her tied up in their bathroom for a whole day. She was in her early 20s then. She says she can't leave his house because she needs to have him at her wedding to be respected by her future husband's family.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 11:17pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^ I bet she would also accept being a punch bag by her in laws so that she can be respected and her pastor wont call her a witch
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by naijangel7(f): 11:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
Some old school African discipline cheesy cheesy cheesy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p66afwLeITY

LOL i like when the uncle says "All that is fake but this A.S.S whooping ain't gonna be fake" and proceeds to whoop that A.S.S. Hehehe!
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by naijangel7(f): 11:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
Dis Guy:

^^ I bet she would also accept being a punch bag by her in laws so that she can be respected and her pastor wont call her a witch

That's if he doesn't kill her first. One of the times she ran to our house her hair was matted with blood to her scalp. she now has permanent scars all over her body and a very low self-esteem.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 12:18am On Mar 22, 2011
sometimes i just dont know who to blame, the woman that cant stand up on her feet to say she is not a punchbag/animal or the mothers that dont teach their kids that they are human

funny thing is you see women also supporting this 'culture' i mean since its okay for dad to beat her at over 20+ she wont see anything wrong when her husband start his routine and the pastors will joyfully join in ask her to be patient and coming for daily prayer sessions to shame the devil
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ShyOne(f): 12:32am On Mar 22, 2011
The singer Marvin Gay

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Gay,_Sr.[/url]

His Dad shot him dead in the heat of an argument/fight

In the U.S. your dad/mom will hit you no matter your age - black, white, green, yellow
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by fstranger3(m): 12:35am On Mar 22, 2011
Shy-One:

The singer Marvin Gay

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Gay,_Sr.[/url]

His Dad shot him dead in the heat of an argument/fight

I[b]n the U.S. your dad/mom will hit you no matter your age - black, white, green, yellow[/b]

Not quite!
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ShyOne(f): 3:05am On Mar 22, 2011
Not quite? What does that mean?
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by duduspace(m): 12:37pm On Mar 22, 2011
CILondon:

Nigerian men are so savage and backward. No wonder everyone over here in Europe dislikes them so mucn.

Will you stop that hasty generalisation? undecided I am Nigerian and live in the UK but I've never been considered savage orbackward by anyone I've met and I should tell you that I have a lot of European friends I share a pint with at the pub and go watching movies and playing footie at the weekend.

It is important to differentiate between mild old school 'tough love' which involves only minor spanking and wholesale domestic abuse which could include elements of GBH. There is a massive difference between the horn of a snail and that of a buffalo.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ShyOne(f): 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2011
duduspace:

Will you stop that hasty generalisation? undecided I am Nigerian and live in the UK but I've never been considered savage orbackward by anyone I've met and I should tell you that I have a lot of European friends I share a pint with at the pub and go watching movies and playing footie at the weekend.

It is important to differentiate between mild old school 'tough love' which involves only minor spanking and wholesale domestic abuse which could include elements of GBH. There is a massive difference between the horn of a snail and that of a buffalo.

you definitely are NOT BACKWARDS.

shy-one does a "double take"

that last paragraph - a beautiful symphony - your play on words was flawless

thank you for sharing.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by kindablity(m): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2011
abeg let us hear jo!!!! i bliv dis dude is from d states, if an adult male can be slaapped,hw much more a female, looooong hiss, next thread plz
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by duduspace(m): 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2011
Shy-One:

you definitely are NOT BACKWARDS.

shy-one does a "double take"

that last paragraph - a beautiful symphony - your play on words was flawless

thank you for sharing.
Thanx sweetness. kiss
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by Solozzo(m): 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2011
Well in my community, isoko in Delta state, it is against the norm for a parent to beat up an adult child. You would be blamed by the elders if u attempt no matter what the child has done.

It is a shame many NL members still support this brutish culture. just because one lives under their roof does not give parents right to assault their adult children or anyone for that matter. An NL member had related how she almost got killed for coming home late from school. The uncaring parents never thought child may be in danger and focussed on meting punishment before hearing the story. This is a way of bringing up children not to value natural justice, the right to be heard and defend yourself before being found guilty.

Time we ban corporal punishment no matter the age of the child. All that high-handed discipline has contributed to produce corrupted politicians and a high crime rate in our country.

Time for parents to learn positive parenting skills, exemplary lifestyles that lead to respect and emulation of good values, so we can '' hand unto our children a banner without stain"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Feelings Have Changed For My Husband / Man Storms Out Of Dowry Negotiations Crying Extortion / Help, My Brother Whips His Wife!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.