Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,737 members, 7,875,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:17 PM

Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? (5987 Views)

Is It An Insult For A Mother To Ask Her Adult Daughter To Buckle Her Shoes? / Conversation Between Nigerian Dad And His Daughter On Facebook / His 5 Years Old Son Wrote In His Play Book "I Don't Like My Mum And Dad" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by eghost247(m): 6:13pm On Mar 22, 2011
Solozzo:

Well in my community, isoko in Delta state, it is against the norm for a parent to beat up an adult child. You would be blamed by the elders if u attempt no matter what the child has done.

It is a shame many NL members still support this brutish culture. just because  one lives under their roof does not give parents right to assault their adult children or anyone for that matter. An NL member had related how she almost got killed for coming home late from school. The uncaring parents never thought child may be in danger and focussed on meting punishment before hearing the story. This is a way of bringing up children not to value natural justice, the right to be heard and defend yourself before being found guilty.

Time we ban corporal punishment no matter the age of the child. All that high-handed discipline has contributed to produce corrupted politicians and a high crime rate in our country.
no one is supporting we are just saying it happens

Time for parents to learn positive parenting skills,  exemplary lifestyles that lead to respect and emulation of good values, so we can '' hand unto our children a banner without stain"
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ladej(m): 9:16pm On Mar 22, 2011
ddippset:

a nigerian man would smack and slap even his 40 year old wife not to talk of a 27 year old GIRL. in this part of the world is 27 really an adult? adulthood here begins @ 32.
u go kill me with laff grin

CILondon:

Nigerian men are so savage and backward. No wonder everyone over here in Europe dislikes them so mucn.

who is everyone.please clarify

fstranger3:

Not quite!
what do u mean not quite?

duduspace:

Will you stop that hasty generalisation? undecided I am Nigerian and live in the UK but I've never been considered savage orbackward by anyone I've met and I should tell you that I have a lot of European friends I share a pint with at the pub and go watching movies and playing footie at the weekend.

It is important to differentiate between mild old school 'tough love' which involves only minor spanking and wholesale domestic abuse which could include elements of GBH. There is a massive difference between the horn of a snail and that of a buffalo.
thanks broda
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 23, 2011
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by eghost247(m): 3:21am On Mar 23, 2011
FibbA:

If u can't play by the rules, get your own house. No complain.
simple as ABC
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 9:54am On Mar 23, 2011
FibbA:

If u can't play by the rules, get your own house. No complain.

eghost247:

simple as ABC

so if s/he cant comply you tie her up and beat the hell out of her/him right?

flinstones
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ladygaga(f): 10:27pm On Mar 23, 2011
it is 100% possible
im 24yrs old an a recent graduate, my parents are so annoying especially my dad, he think everybody should tremble at the sound of hi voice, never wanna accept that his kids are all grown up,
i cant just wakeup and say i want to go out .that ll mark d begining of trouble,i wonder if he wants me to write an epistle saying i want to go out, my mum is not even helping matters,
at 24 there are a lot of things i wanna do on my own and for my self like starting up a business, looking for a job, making new friends even, my social life is zero , u cant go out freely , my friends cant come home freely, sleeping out is anoda issue(i dont think that day will ever come- what excuse do i wanto give-am sure he ll look at me like i am drunk )
all he wants is for you to keep cooking beans and yam all day long, so far u are under his roof he calls the shot!!! i cant for nysc where i ll just run away and maybe never come back

my relationship with my bf is kinda stressed, cos i cant go out just like that eg on sunday we agreed we were gonna go out either to the beach or a show , and he came 5pm, i just told him not to bother, cos even if we went at that tym i was supposed to be home say 8:45pm, each tym we want to go out , its either i am late or i cant go at all cos i have to cook , it is really terrible

growing up was even worse.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by dayokanu(m): 10:22pm On Mar 24, 2011
ladygaga:

it is 100% possible
im 24yrs old an a recent graduate, my parents are so annoying especially my dad, he think everybody should tremble at the sound of hi voice, never wanna accept that his kids are all grown up,
i cant just wakeup and say i want to go out .that ll mark d begining of trouble,i wonder if he wants me to write an epistle saying i want to go out, my mum is not even helping matters,
at 24 there are a lot of things i wanna do on my own and for my self like starting up a business, looking for a job, making new friends even, my social life is zero , u cant go out freely , my friends cant come home freely, sleeping out is anoda issue(i dont think that day will ever come- what excuse do i wanto give-am sure he ll look at me like i am drunk )
all he wants is for you to keep cooking beans and yam all day long, so far u are under his roof he calls the shot!!! i cant for nysc where i ll just run away and maybe never come back

my relationship with my bf is kinda stressed, cos i cant go out just like that eg on sunday we agreed we were gonna go out either to the beach or a show , and he came 5pm, i just told him not to bother, cos even if we went at that tym i was supposed to be home say 8:45pm, each tym we want to go out , its either i am late or i cant go at all cos i have to cook , it is really terrible

I really feel for you because in this situation getting laid would be a major challenge for you.

I now understand you better
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 2:57am On Mar 25, 2011
^^ agbaya
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by obowunmi(m): 6:17pm On Mar 25, 2011
ladygaga:

it is 100% possible

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ladygaga(f): 9:39pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^^ whats funny o
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by obowunmi(m): 10:37pm On Mar 25, 2011
your parents are trying to protect you from the vultures of these world -- but you see it differently.

Many Nigerian women don't gain their freedom until they get married --- that's why often times many of them misbehave, because they never took the time to actually live alone or to figure out who they really are.
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by ladygaga(f): 11:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
but thats the thing that drives me crazy, im not wayward or promiscuous in any way, i have never been, truout my stay in school i stayed alone and i was on my best behaviour, so why the overprotection? over protection doesnt even guarantee that ones kid will turn out well, all i want is just sme lone tym for myself, i want some personal tym, they just dont want to accept that am all grown up now, i overheard my dad talking on phonw with sme1 today that he has a daughter who wants to serve in lagos, i was like wth when did we talk about me serving in lagos (lool) i just need to space, thats just it, not for wayward purposes, i just need space like every other growing youth in my age bracket
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by SALady(f): 11:39am On Mar 29, 2011
Wonder how old is the woman on the story. But if my dad tried to hit me, he had better be prepared what's coming his way. I'd get all kung-fu all over him. mxewww!!!
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by Nobody: 2:56am On Mar 30, 2011
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by eghost247(m): 5:32am On Mar 30, 2011
SA Lady:

Wonder how old is the woman on the story. But if my dad tried to hit me, he had better be prepared what's coming his way. I'd get all kung-fu all over him. mxewww!!!
mtchew
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by SALady(f): 1:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
eghost247:

mtchew

^^^mtchew, for what now
Re: Would A Nigerian Dad Ever Strike His Adult Daughter? by DisGuy: 7:49pm On Mar 30, 2011
FibbA:

You sound funny, you probably don't know what others young adults are going through in their homes.

It's better to get a few kids you can take care of till they are capable of living on their own. The real wahala really starts from 'many children are blessing from God' mentality, therefore no family planing. Sooner or latter, the kids starts suffering for notting. If you find your self in such situation, and you want to do things in your own way, try and get a house, your parents will even appreciate your sence of maturity. If not, sharraaap and play by the rules. Don't complicate things for you parents because you feel you've grown up. I'm not a mean father though, but that's ' d tru tori'.

to me if a man/woman has to physically assault his/her grown up child as a form of discipline then perhaps he has not done a good job bringing the kid up in the first place! there are many grown up kids that know the right thing depending on how they are brought up if they go out they dont need to be told what time to get back in, and if they do isnt it better to have actually disapprove or verbally warn her/him than to punch her lights out before getting an explanation, hiding grown up kids inside their bedroom all in the name of protection might actually affect them, some will be misfit, some wont be able to deal with issues themselves without going back home to daddy and mummy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Effects Of Divorce On A Woman..Men Take Note / My Feelings Have Changed For My Husband / Ugandan Govt pleads for larger condom size for their men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.