Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,933 members, 7,872,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:32 AM

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? (43307 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? / FOR Your Professional Building From Foundation/renovation Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Accountantgener: 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2020
Good day everyone pls I want this message to get to front-page please.I bought card online from my bank today which is zenith bank amounting to 200naira only for me to discover that the sum of 364naira was debited from my account balance and that simply implies that the bank charges was 164naira.this isn't the first time I notice this as I also discover that each time I make a transfer,after the transfer is successful and am been charged back charges I also do notice another extra illegal 50naira that is usually been debited to my account after subtracting my current balance from my previous balance.every effort to reach the bank directly seems to be in vain.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by micgray100(m): 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2020
Buying is always cheaper because most sellers are selling out of distress...

the distress is what the new buyer need to know...
some could be structural failure, land dispute or supernatural things... etc... But building from scratch is advisable.. it give you sense of belonging to the house in future and you will also learn ...

Nairalanders.. Help you brother o... is a CAC agent that help register company...

Get your company registered today for a token...

I am the cheapest in Nigeria...

REGISTER YOUR LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY WITH JUST A TOKEN... 75k with duration of 4 working days..

Whatsapp or call.... Mr Gbenga....
Zero, Seven, Zero, Three, Two, Seven, Two, Eight, Nine, Four, One.

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by samuelson06(m): 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

With the little money I have made, I have opted investing in properties full time.

now like the topic implies,

which is cheaper?

Building a home from Scratch or Buying already built that matches your taste?

what are the pros and cons?

Sadly, no one is taking the investment part of the question into consideration. I don't think the answers are balance.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by samuelson06(m): 3:50pm On Dec 28, 2020
Accountantgener:
Good day everyone pls I want this message to get to front-page please.I bought card online from my bank today which is zenith bank amounting to 200naira only for me to discover that the sum of 364naira was debited from my account balance and that simply implies that the bank charges was 164naira.this isn't the first time I notice this as I also discover that each time I make a transfer,after the transfer is successful and am been charged back charges I also do notice another extra illegal 50naira that is usually been debited to my account after subtracting my current balance from my previous balance.every effort to reach the bank directly seems to be in vain.

Move your funds to another bank. It's that simple.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 28, 2020
unity004:
grin Na ajebu people dey buy houses while kpaku people na to the built from scratch. before you start make sure you get money to complete am ooooo no come add another uncompleted building for ur area
Bad mouth no go kill you, which one is "...do not come and add another uncompleted building for ur area?
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by mechanics(m): 3:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building is cheaper
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2020
Accountantgener:
Let me tell you the truth, they are deducting money for those alerts you are getting. When I noticed this same issue with first Bank, I went to their Twitter page to call them out. Bro, #300 was credited back into my account the following morning.
I think it is time we go back to the old way of saving money by putting it in pot before we burry it. These bankers are now worse than our politicians o

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by ElijahIme1992(m): 3:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
I tink building urs is cheaper dan buying because, d person or real estate agent selling it will want to make profit, and u don't even knw d kind of substandard materials dey used in building d house in other to cut costs and maximize profit.. At least ur own tin u go comot moni do am well to ur taste becos, las las na u and ur family go live inside...
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by mrkings84(m): 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2020
Locally building from scratch is cheaper, saver and guaranteed but if abroad u can just buy so long u have your cash....
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by dreamland24: 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2020
[color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

With the little money I have made, I have opted investing in properties full time.

which is cheaper?

I can categorically tell you that building is better but buying will make you last longer. I'm a civil engineer with 6years in the construction industry.

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Easyincome24: 4:06pm On Dec 28, 2020
Both could be cheaper or costly depending on the factors:

#1 Location of the property

#2 Cost of materials as at the time of purchase

#3 Land policy obtainable in the location

#4 Size of building including number of rooms

#5 Availability of building experts or technical know how by the property owner

#6 Inflation rate of the country

If you look around you, these are factors that affect land properties and will ever remain among the major factors to consider when deliberating on building a property or purchasing an already built one.

Some who built from the scratch sometimes wished they had bought an already constructed property while the other way round is possible too.

In my opinion, if an already built house cost is not too far from the cost estimation of building form the scratch, I would go for the former.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by samwillyco1(m): 4:12pm On Dec 28, 2020
dROC1:

After 10years of omo onile wahala, documentation issues, approval issues, court cases, land confiscations, 419 builders, stolen electricals, stolen iron, stolen cement and a decking collapse....I decided to buy to my taste. It's better to buy, not just buy, but buy cheap. To be honest, after building my house years ago, I found better houses in far better locations, which were the same cost of what I built. Had I just saved up the money, I would have been in a far better location when the opportunity came.
However, buying is not for everyone. As someone said earlier there are three categories of finances that most appropriately fall into buying or building.

Better location, time saving and stress free is the only advantage of buying a house. Buying a house can only be cheaper if the person/people or family selling the house has problem that needed urgent money that pushed them to sell it anyhow or you buy from politicians during election period apart from that building is three times cheaper than buying a new house if you know what it takes in the field. Note: don't give to contractors to build and hands over the keys to you.

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Tripleoluwa(m): 4:21pm On Dec 28, 2020
If you need property within Lekki axis, we can be of help. I work with the surveyor to the Elegushi royal family. So buying, selling, surveying of landed properties is our job anywhere in Lagos and beyond.

Call: 0.8.0.67.17.43.10
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Amah70: 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

If it’s in an urban area, buying a fully built house can be better; but if it’s in a rural area, buying or building from scratch is better.

But avoid building commercial house in rural areas.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nickxander11(m): 4:30pm On Dec 28, 2020
BUYING A HOUSE.
Pros:

-Readily available just like when you feel hungry and you decide to eat outside.

-No headache from area boys, omonile etc that comes during construction.

-No delivery delays or disappointments unless you are buying via 3D(can happen when you buy from a greedy and unorganized developer).

-More chances of acquiring a property in any developed area of your choice provided you have the funds unlike when you want to build, you might not get lands/space in those areas as they have all been bought or developed.

-Asthetically Nice you know the saying that eyes eat before the mouth, so when it gets to finishing, they do a superb work in terms of beauty!

Cons:
-More Expensive as the developer would want to make gains(it's like a trade, they add good profits to cost of construction)

-You might be disappointed by the sizes of rooms as they tend to be small these days.

-Most of those houses are not as strong and stable as the ones you build yourself as they would want to cut corners and use 1:4:8,1:5:10 or worse instead of 1:2:4, 1:1:5:3 for reinforced concrete and 12mm for columns instead of 16mm and 10mm for suspended slabs/decking instead of 12mm. Also they don't mind using water from gutter or canal instead of clean water to cast concrete as this can mess up your reinforcements and concrete.
Note; it happens in both buying and building yourself but you have the opportunity to control and stop any rubbish when you are building yourself/ from the scratch)

-Most likely to be furnished or finished with inferior materials.

BUILDING FROM SCRATCH.
Pros:
-Cheaper than buying.

-You have opportunities to make changes that suits your taste(rooms sizes,storey heights etc. You can tweak the asthetics too!)

-You have chances to ensure you get best value for your money(refer to 3rd and 4th points in cons of buying).

Cons
-Takes more time and get ready to be stressed out.(you are investing your sweat so it's worth the stress.

-Be ready for omonile and area boys headache (just keep their money and ensure you settle the right hands)

-You are in a mess when your contractor is not deligent and in hot soup if he is not trustworthy and in deep Shit if he's quack!
Shine your eyes when selecting one.

-You are likely to be affected by unforseen inflation.
Note: Construction is not cheap so endeavour to plan properly most especially in areas of cost when you want to build from scratch as inflation is hitting the industry really hard.

My advice: if you have time and energy I advise you build yourself/from scratch as you will learn alot but don't forget to shine your eyes and seek professional advice too.

Then,if you don't mind spending more,you can buy already built but make thorough investigation in their QA/QC procedures.

Finally, if you are not sure of the asthetics of 3d designs when you want to build from scratch as some structures might not be exactly the same with their 3d due to variations, make out time to check already developed areas with fantastic structures then work with any design you find satisfying.

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by IamSolopy(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
Buy nii ooo

Pertinence Limited is the real plug����

Call/WhatsApp- +2348148744032

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by wisdomkid: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2020
henry4991:
To Steal House is Much Better

Mad men everywhere in Nigeria. Mad men made up a madt Kountri...
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Dollanaira: 5:23pm On Dec 28, 2020
really
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by cooltola(m): 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
If u are in oversea , yankee or you are not always in Nigeria. Do not build your house from the scratch. Just buy before you start hearing story that touch.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by ronaldbecky(m): 6:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
IYANGBALI:
Boat of them are good, it depends on what you want, but boat of them are almost the same
they aren't d same...building and buying are diffrent
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by akanbiaa(m): 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2020
With supervising building from scratch is cheaper but who says cheaper is better? If you have the money and sure of the quality of ready made house especially those the owner needs money for urgent need you negotiate well, get value for money and also save yourself the stress of building from scratch and most ready made houses are in areas that are well developed.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Victorclean1: 6:57pm On Dec 28, 2020
It depends on your income source. A first class Yahoo guy , politician or politicians money traveling boy. Better to buy

If you are a hustler with limited flow of income, please build from scratch
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by paix(m): 7:03pm On Dec 28, 2020
henry4991:
To Steal House is Much Better
I think transferring it is the best.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by MRFIXER001: 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
A lot of people have been commenting on this thread wonderfully. But as an engineer, I will choose building over buying.
Let's forget about the cost or taste of the client, how about the safety aspect which we all neglect.
How safe is the building?
What specifications and detailing of the structural aspect of the property was used during the building stage?
Do they use quality finishes on the building?

Buying is more like purchasing a package good, durability is not known until you start using it
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
If the cash is there buying is stress free but building is way more secure.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by kunzzy4me(m): 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2020
Kposkila:
Buy n save ursef d stress of building

It's always better or buy and adjust it to ur taste ...it's safe u from d troubles of land grabers ..story here n dere ...time safer ...energy ...u can buy a house and move d next next ..u don't have to wait till eternity for them to complete it bfor moving in ...
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by anambraamaka: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by osascybog(m): 8:47pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

It is like saying is buying a new car cheaper than getting a used one,it actually depends on the cost of the used or already built one...if you get a clean used car or an already built house at a cheaper rare you benefit
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by bigpicture001: 8:51pm On Dec 28, 2020
Ugandatales:

Please explain better. Thanks in advance.

Unemployment is bred in a nation when her ppl desist from real investment....

Ppl tend to hv this mindset of buying land and hoping it rises in value or building a house as a form of investment not really calculating to know that the ROI on even commercial building is so soo small

Start a Biz and grow it...and keep growing it..and when u want to settle down..build a house for ur own shelter....don't tie down ur money just for pride of building a house......

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by ofiko123(m): 9:18pm On Dec 28, 2020
None is cheaper..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Share Your Experience Living In The Same Compound With The Landlord/Landlady / Need HDF Doors?: Check Out Our Custom HDF Doors With Edge Protection Material. / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.