Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,317 members, 7,920,166 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 08:56 PM

Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home (10526 Views)

Poll: Who Sacrifices More?

Mother: 83% (138 votes)
Father: 16% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Most Women Enjoy Humiliating Other Women (both In Public Or In The Home)? / How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? / What Exactly Is A Man's Duty In The Home Nowadays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:50pm On Mar 31, 2011
harakiri:

This is the part that always baffles me. How many women would choose their careers over raising THEIR OWN KIDS? This kind of talk would be strange to mothers decades ago but today (no thanks to feminism), a woman believes she is entitled to certain privileges because she gave birth TO HER OWN KIDS! Sometimes i wonder if people listen to themselves when they utter this kind of statements.

Marriage is all about the interest of WOMEN! A man has little or NOTHING to gain from marriage. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING marriage "offers" a man that he can't get WITHOUT the marriage. Who craves for commitment during a relationship? Women! Who pushes for marriage? Women! Who wants to have the big white wedding? Women! Who wants to have kids asap? Women! And yet after the man has succumbed to all this manipulation, he's still expected to be "grateful" to his woman for bearing HER OWN KIDS! Una dey listen to una selfs sometimes?

I already pointed out that marriage is a woman thing and that men gain little from it that they couldn't get without it. Good men acknowledge that a marriage is necessary for growing children, so (the good ones) always stay so that their children can grow up in the kind of stable and supportive environment that they grew up in. Otherwise, men wouldn't stay.

My point was that the woman could have  a career and the man could stay home and take care of the kids, but because somebody has to be the homemaker and caregiver, it usually ends up being the woman, although it could be the man. That the woman doesn't often get to be the caregiver and the successful earner was my point. If she does both, she's overworked and this usually only happens when the man is unemployed or something. But many women do want fulfilling careers and they do give them up or limit their progression along their career path for their children. This is rare among men though, so in my opinion the woman sacrifices more.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 31, 2011
Abeg na mothers.
Those people panting and gasping ecause they don't think it is mothers that make the most sacrifice, it's all good.
We cannot all have the same opinon.
Natasha and Ujujoan, you really shouldn't be stressing over convincing harakiri and dayokanu that it is mothers. Just accept their different opinions. It is unlikely that there wuld be no single contary opinion on a thread like this.

And I find it preposterous that people consider remainin faithful/not going outside to catch diseases to infect your partner with as a tremendous sacrifice that women should be grateful for.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nekai(f): 8:57pm On Mar 31, 2011
It's sad that alot of men that are raised by single moms turn out despising women. It's natural for these guys to only see the negative things associated with raising a family, since they never saw their dad do anything. It seems like these men are trying to find reasons in their mind to rationalize away the need for a father/husband to stick around. Because to acknowledge that marriage is desireable, wanted, and respected by men, is to acknowledge that their absentee dads are really sad individuals. (Even if the dad is late, these boys sometimes grow up to misunderstand the role of a father in the home.)
Any man that was raised by both parents would have seen that a marriage isn't always perfect, but the good times outweigh the bad, especially if you have found the right person.

Both husband and wife make sacrifices in a marriage.

The man, who is the head, bears the burden of responsibility. As the oldest child I understand that this invisible pressure can sometimes be overwhelming. However, as much as I resented it at times, this pressure has pushed me to succeed. The pressure that a man faces in a marriage should push him to succeed. It is a weak man indeed who will destroy/tear down their marriage by abusing or cheating on his wife. If you can't control your sexual desire or your anger, most likely you do not have the control necessary to be successful in the real world.
The woman is responsible for  the household duties. It is no easy task to keep a house running amoothly. It can be a full time job by itself. In childbearing a woman must sacrifice her body. This is more intense than it seems, because a woman has shoulder this responsibility alone, even though the man might be by her side. In the case of a miscarriage or stillbirth it is the woman who suffers the longest, in most cases these things haunt her for life because she will feel like her body failed the baby. Pregnancy is not easy. A woman goes through a whole lot of misery in those 9 months. And childbirth itself is an unbelievable amount of agonizing pain. After, the woman is tied down to the baby 24/7. A man thinks he gives up his freedom? He most likely knows nothing about being shackled to a mini person for months and years. It basically makes the woman do double duty because she has to feed, cloth, clean, and entertain another person beside herself for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every other child multiplies this effort.

Bottom line, a mother sacrifices more for the children. My mother sure did. That doesn't mean she contributes the most, but sacrifice, yes.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by sley4life(m): 9:04pm On Mar 31, 2011
mom off course. Dad shows less attention
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by hlexzy: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2011
REALLY APPLAUD UR CONTRIBUTION ON HERE, KUDOS TO FATHERHOOD MEHN PAPA DEY SEE O.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:24pm On Mar 31, 2011
Nekai:

It's sad that alot of men that are raised by single moms turn out despising women. It's natural for these guys to only see the negative things associated with raising a family, since they never saw their dad do anything. It seems like these men are trying to find reasons in their mind to rationalize away the need for a father/husband to stick around. Because to acknowledge that marriage is desireable, wanted, and respected by men, is to acknowledge that their absentee dads are really sad individuals. (Even if the dad is late, these boys sometimes grow up to misunderstand the role of a father in the home.)
Any man that was raised by both parents would have seen that a marriage isn't always perfect, but the good times outweigh the bad, especially if you have found the right person.

The man, who is the head, bears the burden of responsibility. As the oldest child I understand that this invisible pressure can sometimes be overwhelming. However, as much as I resented it at times, this pressure has pushed me to succeed. The pressure that a man faces in a marriage should push him to succeed. It is a weak man indeed who will destroy/tear down their marriage by abusing or cheating on his wife. If you can't control your sexual desire or your anger, most likely you do not have the control necessary to be successful in the real world.
The woman is responsible for  the household duties. It is no easy task to keep a house running amoothly. It can be a full time job by itself. In childbearing a woman must sacrifice her body. This is more intense than it seems, because a woman has shoulder this responsibility alone, even though the man might be by her side. In the case of a miscarriage or stillbirth it is the woman who suffers the longest, in most cases these things haunt her for life because she will feel like her body failed the baby. Pregnancy is not easy. A woman goes through a whole lot of misery in those 9 months. And childbirth itself is an unbelievable amount of agonizing pain. After, the woman is tied down to the baby 24/7. A man thinks he gives up his freedom? He most likely knows nothing about being shackled to a mini person for months and years. It basically makes the woman do double duty because she has to feed, cloth, clean, and entertain another person beside herself for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Every other child multiplies this effort.

Bottom line, a mother sacrifices more for the children. My mother sure did. That doesn't mean she contributes the most, but sacrifice, yes.

1. Marriage is neither "desirable, wanted, etc." by men, except when they're reaching 40 and have no children and no legacy. It's all about sex or about having kids. The overwhelming majority of men in this world are not romantic. Sexually active, yes, but not romantic. There's a very real reason that successful marriages are on the decline in many Western countries and in those (mostly developing) countries where it isn't on the decline, romance is an almost alien concept to men.
2. It's actually pretty easy taking care of a home compared to a real job, unless that job is simple, part-time, low-wage, etc.
3. Saying that a woman "sacrifices her body" for her children is exactly like saying a man "sacrifices his freedom" for his children. It's ridiculous. How is it a sacrifice if you're deliberately doing something for your own pleasure (the joy of having children, being a father/mother) and benefit? People don't seem to understand the connotations of the word sacrifice.

Just clearing up some misconceptions.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by prixxy(f): 9:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
Harakiri  na wa for this your women bashing, i wonder what is behind your attitude towards women

Any way @topic i feel both parent make sacrifices,

but the woman makes the most sacrifice.

And am so glad to make any sacrifice for my family because they are worth it.

As a matter of fact its a privilage to be able to make those sacrifices, i cant imagine doing otherwise.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by isalegan2: 9:32pm On Mar 31, 2011
I'll be doggone!  shocked I actually agree with the wrong person in this discourse.  

Maybe it's the word "sacrifice."  Maybe the question posed is flawed.  

Since the question is not, "who shows more attention?" or "who is the primary caregiver?" or "who cleans more?" or "who takes more time from work," my answer would have to be that. . . In a typical home, the man is making more personal sacrifice to keep the family unit together.

Don't stone me!  :::scared smiley::: tongue
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by hlexzy: 9:35pm On Mar 31, 2011
TRUTH MUST BE TOLD. THERE IS  REASON FOR THOSE THAT SAID MOTHER AND THERE IS A REASON WHY SOME SAY FATHER SERIOUSLY IN THE REAL WORLD WE CHILDREN HAPPENS TO HAVE  SPECIAL LOVE FOR OUR MOTHER MORE THAN OUR FATHER WHICH IS VERY BIAS, IN THE REAL SENSE WHY DO WE TEND TO REWARD OUR MOTHER MUCH MORE THAN OUR FATHER WHEN IT COMES TO SHOWING APPRECIATION AFTER SECURING GOOD JOB SOMEWHERE IN ABUJA OR LAGOS smiley smiley smiley  ALL WE DO IS GO VISIT AND PACKAGE THEIR ENVELOPS IN DIFF FORM OF CASH AND HANDED OVER THE BIGGEST BUCK TO OUR MOTHER? Hmmmmmm, MY CASE MIGHT DIFF FROM ORTHER OOO BUT I MUST CONFESS IS NOT EASY TO BE THE HEAD OF FAMILY OO KUDOS TO THOSE (BABA) THEY TRY ALL THEY COULD TO MAKE US WHO WE SHOULD BE AND JUST BECAUSE MOST OF OUR TIME BEING SPENT WITH OUR MOTHER WHEN GROWING AND FATHER BEING OUT THERE HUSTLING WE STILL SHOW MUCH LOVE TO OUR MOTHER COMPARE TO OUR FATHER MEHN THATS NOT FAIR,
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Dirac(m): 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2011
Men make the sacrifices and do not complain, the only time u know a man is having a tough time is when he starts drinking, Women on the other hand make all the noises, so they get easily noticed when they make sacrifices. Just picture a home where the man has no job and the woman takes care of the house, the neighbours would surely hear it. I am not taking anything away from the women folks, but we just have to be honest, its not usually the person who cries the loudest that suffers the most
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by gymer(m): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2011
Who sat and watch my infant head, My mother,
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by prixxy(f): 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2011
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line, a mother sacrifices more for the children. My mother sure did. That doesn't mean she contributes the most, but sacrifice[quote]

SPOT ON[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by dayokanu(m): 9:45pm On Mar 31, 2011
Isale, Dont be scared to agree with me, I suspected all along you have it for me.

Dirac:

Men make the sacrifices and do not complain, the only time u know a man is having a tough time is when he starts drinking, Women on the other hand make all the noises, so they get easily noticed when they make sacrifices. Just picture a home where the man has no job and the woman takes care of the house, the neighbours would surely hear it. I am not taking anything away from the women folks, but we just have to be honest, its not usually the person who cries the loudest that suffers the most

Abi oooo

Look on NL, and see threads like "I am giving money to my BF-Is it right". This is what guys have done and have been doing for centuries yet no one complains.

A woman would complain that working at home is too strenous, Give her the option of going out to do the hustle and she would decline sharp sharp
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by mamagee3(f): 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2011
Mothers and fathers take equal sacrifices. ,

They just take equal measures, no one takes more nor less.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Dirac(m): 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2011
mama-gee:

Mothers and fathers take equal sacrifices. ,

They just take equal measures, no one takes more nor less.

Better comment, the person who sang sweet mother should also sing sweet father
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by 9ja4eva: 10:06pm On Mar 31, 2011
Good move.

We should do that for just everything produced in Nigeria.Down to Ofada rice grin
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Beync(f): 10:11pm On Mar 31, 2011
Money cannot buy love, care and emotions but mothers give all these free,(greatest sacrifies). They also provide financially for families when given opportunities. However, i can always count on fathers for working hard outside home to put food on the table.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by wiseman2011(m): 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2011
I am a man, but be honest to ourself is a 'Woman' because it is easy 2 carry her belly 4 9month and during d labour. Bravo Mother.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by wiseman2011(m): 10:39pm On Mar 31, 2011
I am a man but I need not be bias is a Mother.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nekai(f): 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. Marriage is neither "desirable, wanted, etc." by men, except when they're reaching 40 and have no children and no legacy. It's all about sex or about having kids. The overwhelming majority of men in this world are not romantic. Sexually active, yes, but not romantic. There's a very real reason that successful marriages are on the decline in many Western countries and in those (mostly developing) countries where it isn't on the decline, romance is an almost alien concept to men.
2. It's actually pretty easy taking care of a home compared to a real job, unless that job is simple, part-time, low-wage, etc.
3. Saying that a woman "sacrifices her body" for her children is exactly like saying a man "sacrifices his freedom" for his children. It's ridiculous. How is it a sacrifice if you're deliberately doing something for your own pleasure (the joy of having children, being a father/mother) and benefit? People don't seem to understand the connotations of the word sacrifice.

Just clearing up some misconceptions.

1. Hmmm.  By your own definition, if the only reason a man desires marriage is for sex and kids, then it is true that men desire and want to be married.
2. Taking care of a home is, in most cases, in addition to having a real job.
3. A woman sacrifices her body for the pleasure of herself and her children. But she also sacrifices her body so that her husband can have the pleasure of becoming a father. Most women would not choose to sacrifice her body in this way for a mere boyfriend, no matter how much she wants the pleasure of being a mother. A man sacrifices his freedom, but the woman also sacrifices her freedom. Most men are free to pursue their dream educational path or career before and after marriage and kids. A man can choose to move their entire family anywhere in the world for a job opportunity. After work, men are free to pursue their vocational interests and indulge in recreational activity. After a full day of work, a woman comes home to continue to work by feeding her children, doing their hair, the laundry, the housework, ect. A man comes home just in time for a ready made dinner and to tuck his kids in bed. While the woman continues cleaning up, the husband relaxes. Then later the man often expects his wife to be ready for this sex he married her for. (Which may or may not be work in the woman's case if she is up for it.)
The next day it starts all over again with the husband going to work in his clothes that were cleaned and ironed by his wife, and the wife getting both herself and the kid(s) ready and going to work.

The sacrifice of freedom goes both ways.
wiseman2011:

I am a man, but be honest to ourself is a 'Woman' because it is easy 2 carry her belly 4 9month and during d labour. Bravo Mother.
smiley
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 31, 2011
u cant know, until u become married, trust me
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 31, 2011
See people going, "Men bring bread, men bring bread, men bring bread" as if working mothers don't exist.
They exist. Infact these days it is hard to find a woman who wants to just stay home and be a housewife. Those doing it are mostly those that were forced by their husbands into being full time housewives.
Women generally prefer having a job to increase to how much money is available for raising children and to have something to fall back on in case the man just gets up one day and sends her out. So women ALSO go out to hustle. It is not a job that is exclusive to men so please no more of "men do work and bring money, so they sacrifice more".
Thank you.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:12pm On Mar 31, 2011
Nekai:

1. Hmmm.  By your own definition, if the only reason a man desires marriage is for sex and kids, then it is true that men desire and want to be married.
2. Taking care of a home is, in most cases, in addition to having a real job.
3. A woman sacrifices her body for the pleasure of herself and her children. But she also sacrifices her body so that her husband can have the pleasure of becoming a father. Most women would not choose to sacrifice her body in this way for a mere boyfriend, no matter how much she wants the pleasure of being a mother. A man sacrifices his freedom, but the woman also sacrifices her freedom. Most men are free to pursue their dream educational path or career before and after marriage and kids. A man can choose to move their entire family anywhere in the world for a job opportunity. After work, men are free to pursue their vocational interests and indulge in recreational activity. After a full day of work, a woman comes home to continue to work by feeding her children, doing their hair, the laundry, the housework, ect. A man comes home just in time for a ready made dinner and to tuck his kids in bed. While the woman continues cleaning up, the husband relaxes. Then later the man often expects his wife to be ready for this sex he married her for. (Which may or may not be work in the woman's case if she is up for it.)
The next day it starts all over again with the husband going to work in his clothes that were cleaned and ironed by his wife, and the wife getting both herself and the kid(s) ready and going to work.

The sacrifice of freedom goes both ways. smiley

1. You don't really need to be married to have lots of sex or multiple kids. I was just highlighting that in societies where marriage seems to be working, the reasons men desire marriage usually aren't romantic. This is lost on some people who assume men look at marriage the same way that many women do.
2. Seemed like you were comparing only housework with a real job.  I don't know about that "most cases" statement. All I know is that they don't really compare, despite claims to the contrary.
3. You're painting an extremely specific scenario here which doesn't necessarily apply to most households (definitely not true for my own parents), but anyways, my point is childbirth is voluntary and it's not really a "sacrifice." Hearing the process of childbearing and childbirth being called a sacrifice just seems ridiculous to me. It's like distorting a necessary process and portraying it as a burden. By the same reasoning that one can claim a woman is "sacrificing her body" to bear a child, couldn't one claim, especially in the scenario you just painted, that a man is "sacrificing his relationship with his kids and wife" to earn money to feed, clothe, and shelter the family? Yet we know that that's something that just has to be done. It's not really a sacrifice on the man's part. If the man and woman want to feed the family, he has to go away from them and work. Likewise, if the man and woman want a child, she has to physically bear it.

I was thinking of real life sacrifices like completely giving up progression in some ideal career. Because it is almost always the woman who stunts her career for the family, I think the woman sacrifices more, but not for reasons of childbirth.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:13pm On Mar 31, 2011
fellis:

Those doing it are mostly those that were forced by their husbands into being full time housewives.

Do you actually believe this?  Or are you just making up stuff? undecided
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by bokohalal(m): 11:18pm On Mar 31, 2011
A woman`s sacrifice is selfish. Women,in their wily nature,are always looking ahead and dreaming up the benefits to be reaped from this supposed self- immolation. A man`s sacrifice on the other hand is genuine and no strings attached.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by bokohalal(m): 11:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
Actually,staying in a marriage is the biggest sacrifice anyone makes and most men sacrifice a lot to keep home.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by emmatok(m): 12:18am On Apr 01, 2011
dayokanu:

Isale, Dont be scared to agree with me, I suspected all along you have it for me.

Abi oooo

Look on NL, and see threads like "I am giving money to my BF-Is it right". This is what guys have done and have been doing for centuries yet no one complains. grin grin grin grin

A woman would complain that working at home is too strenous, Give her the option of going out to do the hustle and she would decline sharp sharp
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by emmatok(m): 12:39am On Apr 01, 2011
Some women are claiming it is sacrifice to getting pregnant and rising children.

Well it is in the nature of the woman to get pregnant and rise children.

Most women including singles alway look towards motherhood.

Because motherhood is the peak of womanhood.

Calling it sacrifice create the impression they are doing the world are favor. Which is not a favor.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 01, 2011
All you men that voted "father",

Deep down in your heart,

Do you believe that?! tongue
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 01, 2011
emmatok:

Some women are claiming it is sacrifice to getting pregnant and rising children.

Well it is in the nature of the woman to get pregnant and rise children.

Most women including singles alway look towards motherhood.

Because motherhood is the peak of womanhood.

Calling it sacrifice create the impression they are doing the world are favor. Which is not a favor.

Actually, They are doing the world a GREAT favour!

Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by bokohalal(m): 1:07am On Apr 01, 2011
cultey:

All you men that voted "father",

Deep down in your heart,

Do you believe that?!  tongue

I more than believe it.

I more than believe it. I am a father.Grew up with a father who took care of his children after his wife died young.My partiality is therefore based on knowing mostly a male figure in the house though I doubt if my opinion would have changed if mother had lived longer.Try seeing a man cry in an almost helpless situation then you will understand his superhuman strength to make things right.I shudder to think what most women would have done.
Re: Who Makes The Most Sacrifice In The Home by Nobody: 6:00am On Apr 01, 2011
my mum has done more for me than me dad, i give it to her ! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Celebrating Powerful Women Of The World. . . .THE REAL FEMINISM!!! / Familanders,please Help Me Plan The Program / HELP!!! Should I Break Off My Engagement Or Go On With My Wedding??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.