Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,899 members, 7,922,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:24 PM

Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (25549 Views)

Fayose Better Than Other Nigerian Politician - Photos Speak / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Igbo Women Visit Iara Oshiomole In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:40am On Apr 08, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I missed his mention of Ndidi Okereke-Onyiuke, who actually should not be celebrated, in my opinion. But I think his general observation holds true.

My point is that, like everyone, he wasnt fair to the theme he wrote about. Coming across a lot of Ibo women does not give him any right to the conclusion he seemed to have hastily come to.

This is selective memory in its most banal form, which is a mental shortcut that causes us to give too much weight to recent evidence, and in this situation, he is simply relating his bias encounters, which definitely does not reflect reality at all.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:43am On Apr 08, 2011
fstranger3:

My point is that, like everyone, he wasnt fair to the theme [/b]he wrote about. Coming across a lot of Ibo women does not give him any right to the conclusion he seemed to have [b]hastily [/b]come to.

This is [b]selective memory in its most banal form
, which is a [b]mental shortcut [/b]that causes us to give too much weight to recent evidence, and in this situation, he is simply relating his bias encounters, which definitely does not reflect reality at all.

Jesu Oluwa wa, Amen! Where did fstranger go?  shocked

But give Igbo women their due, they're smart and determined. . . . maybe more than other women in Nigeria. However, they have the money and the resources.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Igwe12: 1:44am On Apr 08, 2011
@Ezeuche, if you read my original post, you will see that i did not mention only ivy leagues but other state schools. I know more IGBOS in state schools than private schools and they all are doing well. I went to both. My family happens to be made up of gunners. But like i said, we are successful in both and it is testament to the intrinsic persistence and resilience of NDIGBO.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by jason123: 1:48am On Apr 08, 2011
Igwe-1:

@Ezeuche, if you read my original post, you will see that i did not mention only ivy leagues but other state schools. I know more IGBOS in state schools than private schools and they all are doing well. I went to both. My family happens to be made up of gunners. But like i said, we are successful in both and it is testament to the intrinsic persistence and resilience of NDIGBO.

cool cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by kcjazz(m): 1:55am On Apr 08, 2011
There are a few reasons I can come up with for this phenomenon.

More education emphasis after the war
Igbo dowry practice grin The higher education the better price, that creates a competitive zeal to educate girls and it is passed to them
Strong communal practice- Igbo village association creates peer pressure
Men have failed woefully in government
Civil war effects
There are still some Igbo cultures that men are not allowed to farm, leaving responsibility to women
Igbo migration rate to other states higher than other groups- Encourages networking, exposure etc
Physicality and body structure and nature (more Igbo women in Super Falcons) grin
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:58am On Apr 08, 2011
Igwe-1:

Dude, i really do not have to argue with you because it'll be like arguiing with a person less than my younger ones. I have a brother who graduated from Harvad med school and doing his residency at Johns Hopkins and a sister at yale med school now and another brother currently at Stanford law school. Don;t tell me about graduate school cuz i have 3 degrees myself and my family is well made and educated in the US. I travel the world because i am a business man. So i have been to many of these schools,and i know i see way more IGBOS than any group. wake up to reality.

That's just it. There are already a somewhat greater number of Igbos in America to begin with, but this gap that you're claiming, if it exists, can't be all that significant - and this is coming from somebody who actually lives here.

You say you are a "business man" with 2 (you edited it to 3, did you forget one?) degrees who's "been to" (whatever that means) "many" (however many that is) of these schools. But you're not really an academic so your assertion that Igbos are overwhelmingly doing better than any group in academic areas or even in "power professions" is questionable when you wouldn't even normally look up enough of these areas (engineering, medicine, law, science) on a regular basis or in great detail to see who's doing what and whether any of them are Nigerians. I'm also skeptical of whether you're even interacting with many Nigerians in college outside of Igbos. I'll chalk your conclusions up to you possibly being someone who only goes around searching lists for Igbo names. I would have thought that if you were to see how many non-Igbo Nigerians were also doing incredibly well academically in America that this would actually be a source of pride to you that black Africans, and particularly those from your region/country, are doing well in good environments despite claims of inherent African inferiority, but instead you're just asserting, based on your limited observations, that this trend in the U.S. is almost exclusively from one particular ethnic group, when to people actually here it seems to be occurring among multiple groups. Anyway, I'll agree to disagree.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 2:02am On Apr 08, 2011
Give Igbo women credit where credit is due. Igbo women seems to be the only group that challenger their men in terms of education. I don't if I should be happy or worried. Because that can be found amongst African American community, in which the women excel more than the men.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 2:03am On Apr 08, 2011
EzeUche:

Give Igbo women credit where credit is due. Igbo women seems to be the only group that challenger their men in terms of education. I don't if I should be happy or worried. Because that can be found amongst African American community, in which the women excel more than the men.

You lack basic analytical skills.
Sorry!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 2:05am On Apr 08, 2011
fstranger3:

You lack basis analytical skills.
Sorry!

You can shut up. Am I wrong? Or will you make yourself look like fool again in this thread.

There are more African American women in college than their men. FACT

Even the stats support what I am saying. And you can never beat me when it comes to numbers. My analytical skills should never be in doubt. Understand?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EkoIle1: 2:16am On Apr 08, 2011
Though the write up remains the writer's non fact based and unscientific opinion, the write up is ignorant, misleading and unnecessary.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 2:17am On Apr 08, 2011
@Omemani aka Ocji Agha aka Ezeuche aka 29 other monikers

I dont argue with fools who cant seem to see beyond their thumped up nose.

First you said:

EzeUche:

. Because that can be found amongst African American community, i[b]n which the women excel more than the men[/b].

And when your attention was called to the foolishness of your baseless conclusion, you changed it to:

EzeUche:

You can shut up. Am I wrong? Or will you make yourself look like fool again in this thread.

There are more African American women in college than their men. FACT

Even the stats support what I am saying. And you can never beat me when it comes to numbers. My analytical skills should never be in doubt. Understand?

As if those two are the same. Time and again on NL, and beyond, you have proven yourself to be adept in massive copying off google, a bad revisionist, a whiner, a flip-flopper, a liar, and more than that, a confused college kid who, cause of his primordial fear of reality, is perfectly fine to live in his trance-like state forever.

It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. So just STFU already and let people with real life experience, intellect, and fact talk sensibly instead of your unneeded interjections of lies and attention seeking monologues.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by recoome(m): 2:20am On Apr 08, 2011
Even in Nigeria here in UNILAG, the igbo ladies are blazing the trail, from the depts 2 faculties, one of then was even part of the team that brought back the bronze medal 4 UNILAG at zain africa challenge, at the last convocation of UNILAG, the second best graduating student with a CGPA of 4.91 was an igbo girl(ifeoma okoye) in the whole sch, before graduation, she had completed all her ACCA programmes where she made all A's, through-out her school days, she made 95% A's, she had 2 pick 4rm choice bluechip companies 4 her youth service as they all wanted her, she had also managed 2 secure a scholarship in the Havard business school of which she would proceed 2 after her youth service, and the funny thing is that she's a silent achiever. Although my dad is awori, my mum is igbo, so i'll be fair here, the yoruba ladies are also trying but i don't think they can match the igbo ones,reason being that the yoruba ones give up easily, while the igbo ladies have a daredevil nature, they can upstage anything that comes their way. As for the hausa ladies, they need 2 wise-up, move 2 the city centres and see what their fellow women are doing and stop milking cows & producing millions of children in the villages and leave their husbands in the cities to be doling out all their money 2 igbo/yoruba girls who know how 2 handle hausa men with an iron fist.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 2:22am On Apr 08, 2011
Seems like fstranger cannot understand simple English. A pity isn't it. No wonder he is ridiculed in all sections that he post.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 2:23am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

Even in Nigeria here in UNILAG, the igbo ladies are blazing the trail, from the depts 2 faculties, one of then was even part of the team that brought back the bronze medal 4 UNILAG at zain africa challenge, at the last convocation of UNILAG, the second best graduating student with a CGPA of 4.91 was an igbo girl(ifeoma okoye) in the whole sch, before graduation, she had completed all her ACCA programmes where she made all A's, through-out her school days, she made 95% A's, she had 2 pick 4rm choice bluechip companies 4 her youth service as they all wanted her, she had also managed 2 secure a scholarship in the Havard business school of which she would proceed 2 after her youth service, and the funny thing is that she's a silent achiever. Although my dad is awori, my mum is igbo, s[b]o i'll be fair here, the yoruba ladies are also trying but i don't think they can match the igbo ones[/b],reason being that the yoruba ones give up easily, while the igbo ladies have a daredevil nature, they can upstage anything that comes their way. As for the hausa ladies, they need 2 wise-up, move 2 the city centres and see what their fellow women are doing and stop milking cows & producing millions of children in the villages and leave their husbands in the cities to be doling out all their money 2 igbo/yoruba girls who know how 2 handle hausa men with an iron fist.

Speak for yourself.
The women in your family do not represent the general view/character of all Yoruba women, at least not the ones I know.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 2:28am On Apr 08, 2011
EzeUche:

Seems like fstranger cannot understand simple English. A pity isn't it. No wonder he is ridiculed in all sections that he post.

Mu he he he he

I dey laugh oooooooo

Mr. I speak English because I live in America.

hahahahahahahaha

Ezeuche nor go kill me for hia oooooooo
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by AljUche: 2:40am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

. As for the hausa ladies, they need 2 wise-up, move 2 the city centres and see what their fellow women are doing and stop milking cows & producing millions of children in the villages and leave their husbands in the cities to be doling out all their money 2 igbo/yoruba girls who know how 2 handle hausa men with an iron fist.

shattap dia, you this mumu,.,., i am married to a yoruba and an igbo woman so what are you talking about handling
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 2:57am On Apr 08, 2011
Alj Uche:

shattap dia, you this mumu,.,., i am married to a yoruba and an igbo woman so what are you talking about handling

*faints*

Since when? shocked
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by recoome(m): 3:01am On Apr 08, 2011
@fstranges3: can u ever say the truth? I did not base it on my family members, but on general public, is it not our very own patricia etteh that went 2 disgrace us at the house of reps, when the igbo women were recording landslide achievements? Which of our women can u compare 2 akunyili,okonjo-iweala,suzanne iroche, oby ezekwesili(madam due process)? In our 18 senatorial slots, 17 are male, only iyabo is a female SW senator and she only suceed becos of her fathers clout, whereas the SE has 15 slots and 2(anyanwu & nkecki) are already women, by may it will increase to 4 (akunyili,emordi). Do we have any female SW minister? No, whereas the igbos has njeze(aviation),& maduekwe(petroleum). Have we had any female gov? No, whereas they have had virgy etiaba. So reconsider ur stance. BTW, can u enumerate the 'illustrous' achievements of the women in ur family, i'm sure they are obama's special advisers & 'VC of harvard'!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Igwe12: 3:13am On Apr 08, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

That's just it. There are already a somewhat greater number of Igbos in America to begin with, but this gap that you're claiming, if it exists, can't be all that significant - and this is coming from somebody who actually lives here.

You say you are a "business man" with 2 (you edited it to 3, did you forget one?) degrees who's "been to" (whatever that means) "many" (however many that is) of these schools. But you're not really an academic so your assertion that Igbos are overwhelmingly doing better than any group in academic areas or even in "power professions" is questionable when you wouldn't even normally look up enough of these areas (engineering, medicine, law, science) on a regular basis or in great detail to see who's doing what and whether any of them are Nigerians. I'm also skeptical of whether you're even interacting with many Nigerians in college outside of Igbos. I'll chalk your conclusions up to you possibly being someone who only goes around searching lists for Igbo names. I would have thought that if you were to see how many non-Igbo Nigerians were also doing incredibly well academically in America that this would actually be a source of pride to you that black Africans, and particularly those from your region/country, are doing well in good environments despite claims of inherent African inferiority, but instead you're just asserting, based on your limited observations, that this trend in the U.S. is almost exclusively from one particular ethnic group, when to people actually here it seems to be occurring among multiple groups. Anyway, I'll agree to disagree.

This is my last post replying you because i only indulge in articulate conversations. Yes,  i have 3 degrees, a dual bachelors one of them in Engineering and an MBA from one of those ivy leagues, so i know exactly what i am talking about. I rejoice when i see all Nigerian representing because that is how it should be. But this topic was about NDIGBO,and thats it. I see Yo.rubas and others too in those schools and proud of all  of them, but their numbrs are nothing compared to IGBOS. I was in  academia because i have been a part time lecturer before i diversified my investments, so i have good command of this topic.  Your arguments stems from the fact that you cannot accept the obvious and if this is the case, then you have more personal issues than you think. This will be my last response to  you on this because i do not make flimsy arguments
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:16am On Apr 08, 2011
Igwe-1:

This is my last post replying you because i only indulge in articulate conversations. Yes,  i have 3 degrees, a dual bachelors one of them in Engineering and an MBA from one of those ivy leagues, so i know exactly what i am talking about. I rejoice when i see all Nigerian representing because that is how it should be. But this topic was about NDIGBO,and thats it. I see Yorubas and others too in those schools and proud of all  of them, but their numbrs are nothing compared to IGBOS. I was in  academia because i have been a part time lecturer before i diversified my investments, so i have good command of this topic.  Your arguments stems from the fact that you cannot accept the obvious and if this is the case, then you have more personal issue than you think. This will be my last response to  you on this because i do not make flimsy arguemnt

Did you actually submit written papers to your professors at this Ivy League?

I really doubt it.  Anyway, to each Ibo liar his own grin

Another Ezeuche. I dey laugh ooooooooooooo
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by AljUche: 3:17am On Apr 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

*faints*

Since when? shocked

since i married an ekiti woman she has been cooking a food called eforiro

some vegetable like this and i love it

and the igbo woman is called adeze
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:22am On Apr 08, 2011
Alj Uche, shut up, jor.

recoome:

@fstranges3: can u ever say the truth? I did not base it on my family members, but on general public, is it not our very own patricia etteh that went 2 disgrace us at the house of reps, when the igbo women were recording landslide achievements? Which of our women can u compare 2 akunyili,okonjo-iweala,suzanne iroche, oby ezekwesili(madam due process)? In our 18 senatorial slots, 17 are male, only iyabo is a female SW senator and she only suceed becos of her fathers clout, whereas the SE has 15 slots and 2(anyanwu & nkecki) are already women, by may it will increase to 4 (akunyili,emordi). Do we have any female SW minister? No, whereas the igbos has njeze(aviation),& maduekwe(petroleum). Have we had any female gov? No, whereas they have had virgy etiaba. So reconsider your stance. BTW, can u enumerate the 'illustrous' achievements of the women in your family, i'm sure they are obama's special advisers & 'VC of harvard'!

Somehow, I'm taking keen interest in your post.

You're right and I dont like the way women in the SW are not into politics/ given the chance to flourish in politics. Plz, dont insult us by including Iyabo.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by recoome(m): 3:27am On Apr 08, 2011
@ileke-idi: is iyabo not our daughter, half bread is better than non. @ alh uche: i'm sure u are also married 2 michelle obama, mumu!
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:29am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

@ileke-idi: is iyabo not our daughter, half bread is better than non. @ alh uche: i'm sure u are also married 2 michelle obama, mumu!

I doubt you're Yoruba tho, but whatever.
We.Do.Not.Want.Iyabo.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 3:32am On Apr 08, 2011
I am proud of the university that I attend. UMD has treated me well.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by jason123: 3:34am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

YOU TOLD ME YOU ARE FROM THE ND! HOW DID YOU BECOME HALF YORUBA/IGBO grin lipsrsealed shocked shocked
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:36am On Apr 08, 2011
EzeUche:

EzeUche:

What was the point of that? How?
How did it treat you differently than another school would have?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by recoome(m): 3:37am On Apr 08, 2011
@jason123: my mama na delta-igbo(isele ukwu) my papa na awori.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by AljUche: 3:42am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

@jason123: my mama na delta-igbo(isele ukwu) my papa na awori.

good it means we are the samething but fundamentally different in terms of our ethnicity

my papa na kanuri and my grand mama na nnewi from anambra cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by recoome(m): 3:45am On Apr 08, 2011
@ ileke-idi: why don't u like iyabo, havent u seen the bill board that says:'ko si omo bi iyabo'. @ ezeuche: so should we start jumping or dancing becos u went 2 umd and they treated u well? How will that bring about infastructural development or improved economy?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

@ ileke-idi: why don't u like iyabo, havent u seen the bill board that says:'ko si omo bi iyabo'. @ ezeuche: so should we start jumping or dancing becos u went 2 umd and they treated u well? How will that bring about infastructural development or improved economy?

Let's have a real discussion. . . . your previous post is really irking me. Why do you suppose SW women are not into politics?

My mother frequently tells me that no matter what I do, I should not go into politics. "It's a death toll", she warns. lol
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 3:53am On Apr 08, 2011
recoome:

ejiofor chike bryan department of economics

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=416177.msg5754279#msg5754279

What a nice Awori name you have there. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Rivers Tribunal: 16 Senators, Reps Petition Buhari / EFCC Charges Tompolo And Akpbolokemi For Unlawful Conversion / Emir Sanusi, His Wife And Their Daughters Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.