Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,658 members, 7,979,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 01:55 AM

Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (25919 Views)

Fayose Better Than Other Nigerian Politician - Photos Speak / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Igbo Women Visit Iara Oshiomole In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 11:39pm On Apr 09, 2011
I shall take the side of [b]RichyBlacK [/b]in this battle of intellectual titans. cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by ektbear: 11:47pm On Apr 09, 2011
A little too fawning of Dan Fodio. But overall, it seems that he isn't the villain some in this thread have portrayed him to be. Seems to be far better than the guys he replaced.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:50pm On Apr 09, 2011
Obiagu1: @ PhysicMHD,
Shame on you! When you’re defeated in an argument, you go around attacking someone’s grammar to score a cheap point. There are few things some of you that grew up in the US or UK don’t know.

Defeated in an argument? Have you ever lived in the U.S.? Do you have any idea how many non-Igbo Nigerians are making great strides at great universities in the U.S.? Or do you, like Igwe, only look for names of Igbos on lists? I already acknowledged that Igbo women are definitely outdoing their counterparts, but with regard to Igwe's claim, there's only so much distortion one can let slide. If nobody speaks up, anything goes. YOU of all people should know this, from all the distorted pictures of Igbos some people on this forum have been trying to paint. But I'm not surprised at your biased, ignorant stance on this.

It’s hard to see a well educated Nigerian that grew up in Nigeria and had his/her first degree in Nigeria that speaks/writes impeccable English.

I'm not going to argue against this, because you lived in Nigeria longer than me and probably know more Nigerians that had their first degree in Nigeria than me, but I'll point out that numerous older and contemporary Nigerian writers, professors, and historians are a contradiction to this (and it's entirely apt to compare Igwe with such people since he has the necessary degrees to be on the same playing field with them).

The reason is because the foundation was poor; the English teachers weren’t good enough.

So anytime anyone uses a word incorrectly they get to blame their high school English teacher?

That does not diminish someone’s IQ or intelligence or education or achievement.

Of course not, but it's ironic when someone talks about requiring a discussion to be "articulate" and doesn't seem to understand the proper use of the word. That was why I mocked it. The glaring irony is that being articulate is about being able to express oneself lucidly and coherently, yet he was saying he only engages in "articulate conversation" but being inarticulate while doing so because he clearly meant something else other than "articulate" or he was using the word without understanding that it didn't apply to my previous posts. My rejoinder was totally appropriate (he implied that I was deficient, mind you) and not really "attacking someone's grammar for points".

They will still travel abroad and excel in their field of study with their “poor English”. Bring Math, Physic etc, they will beat you hands down, so what were you trying to achieve?

Who said they won't travel abroad and excel? Not me. It's good that poor teaching isn't preventing people from succeeding.

As for the part in bold, that's purely a conjecture on your part.

If everyone should be flawless in English to underscore their intelligence, education, IQ, smartness, I wonder why there are proofreaders

It's not required that one be flawless in English. It's necessary that one not imply that others are deficient in some area while exhibiting their own deficiency in that very area.

You claimed to have an IQ of 140 or there about

And? Does the claim bother you? I.Q. tests, and the numbers they crank out, are of no significance to me anyway. In the context that I brought that up, I was merely saying that having such an I.Q.  does not really qualify one as a "true genius" in some field seeing as how an ordinary nobody like me could meet that requirement.

but you did not know the meaning of compromise Huh

True, but I don't claim to be right in any argument purely on account of having this or that many degrees, lecturing in this or that many places and having this or that many relatives doing such and such, or what I claim my I.Q. is. I wouldn't stoop to that in an argument.

So why where you attacking someone because of few errors here or there and try to diminish his/her status?

I was mocking him a bit the whole time after he started getting aggressive. Not really an "attack", but you'll see that he started with the aggression and NOT me, if you followed the conversation, or if you have a shred of honesty anywhere in you (which I doubt). That he (Igwe) made the discussion uncivil is simply not in question. As for "trying to diminish" his status, try and be a bit more perceptive next time. I mocked how he could have forgotten the number of degrees he had, but he more or less gave away the reason why he forgot when he mentioned that he had a dual/double bachelor's degree. He obviously just forgot to count it as two, but I was entirely correct to point out the modification because people don't just forget degrees. It sounded like he had added a third merely to sound more impressive (as if I would care anyways), but it's clear that he just forgot. There was nothing wrong with me pointing that out.

If others tell you their own IQ, all you’ll end up doing is find where they made one or two mistakes and attack them as if IQ is equivalent to English.

Did I say I.Q. was equivalent to one's mastery of English? Stop projecting your own dumb conclusions onto me.

Moreover, this is a forum and not a committee that scrutinizes posters’ English.

I've ignored errors in spelling, word usage, and grammar in multiple discussions/debates with people on this forum, actually, and my post history proves it. It would be ridiculous for me to be a grammar/language Nazi on this forum when I have frequently made (and still make) grammatical mistakes on here myself. I think your attempt to paint me as someone who harps on English errors is thoroughly dishonest. But I can't say I'm all that surprised.

I’ll say you and your likes should go screw yourselves!

Noted. But in the future, don't engage me in any discussion, debate, topic, thread, etc. as I will be too busy "screwing myself" to pay you any mind. It is quite telling that both you and Igwe resorted to insults without any provocation and it shows how fragile your psyche is when your delusions are challenged. There is no point even discussing anything with people who act like animals when somebody offers a contrary opinion.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by EzeUche(m): 11:53pm On Apr 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

A little too fawning of Dan Fodio. But overall, it seems that he isn't the villain some in this thread have portrayed him to be. Seems to be far better than the guys he replaced.

Who cares about Uthman Dan Fodio? His militant brand of Islam was used to usurp the power of the traditional Hausa kings found in the region. The Fulani jihads also allowed the Fulani to become overlords of the Hausa and many Northern groups in Nigeria. We must not forget that many lives were lost, because of these Fulani jihads not only in Nigeria, but the jihads he inspired in countries like modern day Niger, Mali and Senegal.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:12am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

I could not have said that better myself. The young man walks around thinking he has a superior intellect

I don't walk around thinking about my "intellect."

because he can copy and paste sources on the internet better than most

"Better than most"? Is copying and pasting from internet sources a skill? Are there people with different skills and abilities in copying and pasting? Is there a Copy and Paste Olympiad?

but that does not show his true intelligence.

No, it doesn't. But I don't claim to post sources to back up statements/positions I take in order to display my "true intelligence." I wonder how anyone could take providing sources, links, or information as evidence of intellectual arrogance. It's a bizarre perspective to take.

Thank you for shedding light on his behavior.

I can see that I am not the only one who has noticed that from his post.

"Anyone taken as an individual is tolerably sensible and reasonable -- as a member of a crowd, he at once becomes a blockhead."  - some famous guy
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by ezeagu(m): 12:13am On Apr 10, 2011
Igbo children also achieve top grades in the UK among African/Black students where they are a minority. Igbo culture, or the family unit, may be the best, or maybe it's better to say the strongest in Nigeria.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:14am On Apr 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

And you base this claim on. . .?

There's a book called Nigerian Perspectives by Thomas Hodgkin. Excerpts of primary sources presented in that book paint a different picture entirely.

World Civilizations: Volume II: Since 1500 By Philip J. Adler, Randall L. Pouwels
Published by: Wadsworth Publishing; 4 edition (2005)

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:20am On Apr 10, 2011
EzeUche:

I shall take the side of [b]RichyBlacK [/b]in this battle of intellectual titans. cool

EzeUche,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Good to see your original moniker is back and kicking strong.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by chic2pimp(m): 12:24am On Apr 10, 2011
Hehehehe so according to Igwe he schooled at Princeton abi nah Harvardgrin grin grin grin grin

Plus Thunder fire all of una who claim to have 15 brothers and 20 sisters at Ivy League Unis.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:25am On Apr 10, 2011
RichyBlacK:

World Civilizations: Volume II: Since 1500 By Philip J. Adler, Randall L. Pouwels
Published by: Wadsworth Publishing; 4 edition (2005)

Interesting. It's possibly true that people were "forced" to become Muslim, but I don't know that the Jihad of dan Fodio was "mayhem."

Also, your quote is about Umar Tall, not Uthman dan Fodio. Read the page carefully.

I put "forced" in quotes because it seemed to be understood that the Hausa leaders/kings claimed to be Muslim, yet they were permitting the practice of pagan religions in their land and mixing Islam and paganism, which is apparently against Islam. (I'm not saying that that's right or correct or that they should have limited freedom of religion, I'm just pointing out that the Hausas apparently were supposed to be all Muslim going by the claims of their leaders.)

This link gives a bit more detail about what happened:

http://khilafah.biz/usman-dan-fodio-and-the-birth-of-gombe/

(There are probably better sources which go into as much detail, but that's all I could find on a quick search)
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by henry101(m): 12:33am On Apr 10, 2011
chic2pimp:

Hehehehe so according to Igwe he schooled at Princeton abi nah Harvardgrin grin grin grin grin

Plus Thunder fire all of una who claim to have 15 brothers and 20 sisters at Ivy League Unis.

Is it your money?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by chic2pimp(m): 12:43am On Apr 10, 2011
henry101:

Is it your money?
What is this one saying?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Basseti: 12:59am On Apr 10, 2011
chic2pimp:

My friend stop hating LOL

Me sef get 5 uncles wey be Obama course mate. Eat ur heart out LOL
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 1:16am On Apr 10, 2011
I'm rotfl to see that this thread made it to 12 pages. In normal societies, this wouldn't be much of a big deal, afterall we are all Nigerians. But not in Nigeria!
Watch how some folks are mining the internet just to divert as much attention as possible from this topic and by so doing diffuse away as much glory as possible from these Nigerian women.

Like I stated in another thread, Nigeria's biggest problem is not corruption. FAR FROM IT.

Nigeria's biggest problem is injustice which is a product of wickedness, which is a product of foolishness and reta-rdation.

Suddenly, praising Nigerian women of Igbo extraction has become boasting and "blowing trumpet".
If tomorrow, the Super Falcons snag the female world cup, it would no longer be true that overwhelming majority of the team is Igbo. Some folks will die first before acknowledging that fact.

Until Nigerians are able to rejoice in the achievement of fellow citizens irrespective of tribe (which currently they are incapable of), let us all keep lying to ourselves about being one.

I'm still singing the praises of my sisters, mothers and daughters. And if I have a baby girl tomorrow, I will put in my blood to send her to Harvard, Stanford or Princeton; just like my father did for me.
That is the spirit of the Igboman. . . and that is Igbo culture.  cool  cool  cool

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:21am On Apr 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

I'm rotfl to see that this thread made it to 12 pages. In normal societies, this wouldn't be much of a big deal, afterall we are all Nigerians. But not in Nigeria!
Watch how some folks are mining the internet just to divert as much attention as possible from this topic and by so doing diffuse away as much glory as possible from these Nigerian women.

Like I stated in another thread, Nigeria's biggest problem is not corruption. FAR FROM IT.

Nigeria's biggest problem is injustice which is a product of wickedness, which is a product of foolishness and reta-rdation.

Suddenly, praising Nigerian women of Igbo extraction has become boasting and "blowing trumpet".
If tomorrow, the Super Falcons snag the female world cup, it would no longer be true that overwhelming majority of the team is Igbo. Some folks will die first before acknowledging that fact.

Until Nigerians are able to rejoice in the achievement of fellow citizens irrespective of tribe (which currently they are incapable of), let us all keep lying to ourselves about being one.

I'm still singing the praises of my sisters, mothers and daughters. And if I have a baby girl tomorrow, I will put in my blood to send her to Harvard, Stanford or Princeton; just like my father did for me.
That is the spirit of the Igboman. . . and culture.  cool  cool  cool

.   .    . bought on by their desire to stand up to and catch up with their more successful neighbor, the Yoruba people, NO?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 1:23am On Apr 10, 2011
^^

Ol boy does it even make sense to you. I once thought you were one sharp dude. Please don't let me down. undecided
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 1:27am On Apr 10, 2011
The Igbo pursuit of excellence has nothing to do with trying to out-compete the Yoruba.
Pray, tell me how my daughter or sister being a "Ngozi Okonjo Iweala" concern my thinking about Yoruba people.

While sending her to school, or encouraging her to excel, all I envision is her being the best in the WORLD.
That is how we Igbos view things.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:27am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

. . . bought on by their desire to stand up to and catch up with their more successful neighbor, the Yoruba people, NO?

Don't mind them. Obasanjo brought out some of the women from obscurity, but you will never hear that part, only chest beating.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 1:29am On Apr 10, 2011
Obasanjo tried to employ the best Nigerians he could find. They only happened to be Igbos, and were among his best achieving ministers and technocrats, hence the encomiums from Fani Kayode.

He didn't do it out of altruism. He really wanted to leave a legacy, and he did not fail completely because of these women. cool
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:33am On Apr 10, 2011
Onlytruth i may not agree with a lot of your comments here but i cannot fault you for saying you'll sing the praises of your sisters, mothers and daughters.

This is the kind of attitude that makes them (your female kin)attractive to others who then cannot sleep until they have an igbo woman. They say it takes a village to raise a child.

Unfortunately i have to confess our yoruba brothers do not have this same sense of ajobi but rather are the opposite. Sorry if my words are painful to anybody.

I hope fani kayode has now seen the answer to his question.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

Obasanjo tried to employ the best Nigerians he could find. They only happened to be Igbos, and were among his best achieving ministers and technocrats, hence the encomiums from Fani Kayode.

He didn't do it out of altruism. He really wanted to leave a legacy, and he did not fail completely because of these women. cool

You are talking as if you were privy to Obasanjo's decision to appoint these women. What if he wanted to appoint ibos regardless of gender and there were no ibo men to fill the positions.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:35am On Apr 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

I guess the following are Igbos, innit?

Despite the knocks against majority of President' Yar'Adua's cabinet, some ministers won the admiration of the Americans. [size=18pt]Babatunde Osotimehin, the then Minister of Health, was described as "one of Yar'Adua's better appointments"; Aderemi Babalola, then Minister of State for Finance, was said to be "extremely competent, knows his portfolio well".
[/size]
About Mansur Muhtar, the then Minister of Finance, who played a major role in the negotiations that led to Nigeria's exit from the Paris and London Clubs of creditors, the officials said, "A senior U.S. economist who worked closely with him at the Africa Development Bank described him as by far the best Executive Director at the bank , smart, articulate, and gets the big picture.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5684996-146/aondoakaa_is_a_thug_says_us.csp
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by chic2pimp(m): 1:37am On Apr 10, 2011
Basseti:

My friend stop hating LOL

Me sef get 5 uncles wey be Obama course mate. Eat your heart out LOL
Me sef my grandpa and Bill Gates were classmates at both Lakeside school and Harvard grin
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 10, 2011
tpiah!:

Onlytruth i may not agree with a lot of your comments here but i cannot fault you for saying you'll sing the praises of your sisters, mothers and daughters.

This is the kind of attitude that makes them (your female kin)attractive to others who then cannot sleep until they have an igbo woman. They say it takes a village to raise a child.

Unfortunately i have to confess our yoruba brothers do not have this same sense of ajobi but rather are the opposite. Sorry if my words are painful to anybody.

I hope fani kayode has now seen the answer to his question.

This is not true.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:38am On Apr 10, 2011
[size=18pt]Clueless, incompetent ministers[/size]

It was also revealed that many of the ministers were chosen solely because of their closeness to the president and not based on national interest. Sayyadi Abba Ruma, then Minister of Agriculture and Water Resources; and Hassan Lawal, then Minister of Works and Housing, and the only other minister, after Mr. Madueke, to have served in Messrs. Obasanjo and Yar'Adua administration were described to fit this profile. Mr. Ruma's several appointments, including heading the Labour Ministry and the Ministry of Health following the removal of the former Minister on corruption charges are said to be tied to him attending the same secondary school with Mr. Yar'Adua.

US agencies "found him ineffective as the supervising Minister of Health from April to December 12, 2008." "Ruma is part of the Katsina clique (President Yar'Adua's home state) and has the ear of President Yar'Adua. Ruma is reportedly also President Yar'Adua's cousin. We have been told that he served as the first kidney donor to Yar'Adua," the cable said.[size=18pt] Deziani Allison-Madueke, the then Minister of Mines and Steel Development, was described as "ineffectual" and said to have done "a poor job in her last Ministerial position as Transportation and Aviation Minister".[/size] The Americans remembered her more for having wept in public at the state of disrepair of the Lagos-Ore Expressway while serving as Minister of Transportation. After several interactions with Bagudu Hirse, the second Minister of State in the Foreign Affairs ministry, the Americans said "he appeared thoroughly unbriefed on foreign affairs". The then Minister of Science and Technology, Alhassan Zaku, was said to have "made no real noteworthy contributions in his previous position as Minister of State for Science and Technology
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nchara: 1:39am On Apr 10, 2011
Yoruba (at least those on NL) no wan use ear hear anything Igbo grin grin grin grin. So much hate, vile, bile and envy. No wonder Igbos are out-competing them in all spheres of life
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:40am On Apr 10, 2011
Aigbofa:

This is not true.

Ignore Tpiah. She is obviously hurting.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Onlytruth(m): 1:40am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3

So, how does that take away from the achievements of the Igbo women being discussed here?
Jealousy is really a bad thing.

Of course there have been many Nigerians who achieved a lot too and have been praised accordingly. I never see Igbos attacking such people. If anything, we improve on their achievements.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by ektbear: 1:40am On Apr 10, 2011
@tpiah!: It varies from family to family. My sisters for example have gone to pretty excellent schools and in fact are being given more resources than I. 16 year old will match or exceed my accomplishments. The youngest one will significantly outperform me. . . equal or superior raw intelligence, better work ethic, more money available to her, and better guidance than I had.

Anyway, the biggest sign of a progressive and good society is really how they educate and uplift their women. Yorubaland can certainly improve in this. But judging from the statistics I posted earlier . . . it isn't as if we are doing terribly relative to our peers.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by fstranger3(m): 1:44am On Apr 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

@tpiah!: It varies from family to family. My sisters for example have gone to pretty excellent schools and in fact are being given more resources than I. 16 year old will match or exceed my accomplishments. The youngest one will significantly outperform me. . . equal or superior raw intelligence, better work ethic, more money available to her, and better guidance than I had.

Tpiah is just hurting. All the women in my family have all done very well, with advanced degrees from some of America's finest institutions.
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by Nchara: 1:46am On Apr 10, 2011
fstranger3:

All the women in my family have all done very well, with advanced degrees from some of America's finest institutions.

Good for you shocked shocked shocked, but where are they holed up? In the sky?
Re: Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? by jason123: 1:47am On Apr 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

That is the spirit of the Igboman. . . and that is Igbo culture.  cool  cool  cool

[size=16pt]STFU!!! You igbo supremacist!!![/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

CBN Discontinues Payment Of BTA/PTA In Cash / Musa Mayaki: I Was Punished For Censoring Hate Campaigns / Report Of Imo State Ward Congress Appeal Committee (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.