Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,029 members, 7,939,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:22 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (116997 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Yes Mariah is very fair skinned. But if you look at the shape of her face (cheekbones) and the width of her nose, you can tell she is not white.

EXACTLY!!

*Kails*:

They do favor.
But that is more likely a coincidence.
Afeni would have to submit her dna as well his father Billy Garland (??)
to see if they have some recent mende ancestry. smiley

I say that because Pac's father was very light in complexion and clearly mixed.
[size=18pt]Mixed ancestry highly influences one's bone structure[/size].

lmao grin
he does look like he's about to spit out a couple bars in that pik. grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
so when i see ppl say things like "guess which tribe this star is from" i laugh
because it's not that simple. smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:49pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:

exactly. cool
which makes the notion that we belong mostly to "one tribe" even more ridiculous. tongue

It is impossible for us to be from one tribe after all of this time. It can be frustrating when certain people try to put you in a box and
" You resemble this tribe; you must be from here!" wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
Adamskuty: i guess u meant to say IGBOS a.k.a biafrans,those are igbos attitude and not that of nigerians (yorubas,hausa,fulanis). Even majority of nigerians desist them

Btw the poster u were addressing to is IGBO.

So dude,i fixed it for u

Ok cool, sorry to lump you all in with them! wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Ok cool, sorry to lump you all in with them! wink
no problem! smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

It is impossible for us to be from one tribe after all of this time. It can be frustrating when certain people try to put you in a box and
" You resemble this tribe; you must be from here!
" wink

I agree it can be annoying @ times.

speaking of which, you know what's funny? I've had more Africans tell me I look more kenyan than I do west or central african. grin

ethiopians told me that, a zimbabwean, a tanzanian, a congolese man, sierra leoneans and even a liberian grin

it doesn't mean i am kenyan wink, it just means my face is literally a reflection of different ppls...my forefathers. kiss so much so that i don't really look like a particular tribe in the regions i most likely have ancestry in west/central africa.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Adamskuty: :p how didido barbie princess? wink

speaking of "igbo" you been smoking? grin kiss
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:
so when i see ppl say things like "guess which tribe this star is from" i laugh
because it's not that simple. smiley

You are correct. It is very refreshing to talk to a conscious sister. Ever since we were taken to the new world, our people began to integrate
with each other regardless of tribe or ethnicities. The slave trade caused a permanent genetic shift and mingled the blood of African peoples that would not usually mix with each other on such a large scale.

The DNA ancestry tests that we currently have are only able to give us two ancestral lineages, missing out all of the valuable genetic information from hundreds of ancestors that was essential in creating us!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 10:06pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:

speaking of "igbo" you been smoking? grin kiss
lol! That was my own "invented slangs" ,it simply means how u doing? grin

shocked i don't smoke oooh,i have never lit a cigarette before tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:

I agree it can be annoying @ times.

speaking of which, you know what's funny? I've had more Africans tell me I look more kenyan than I do west or central african. grin

ethiopians told me that, a zimbabwean, a tanzanian, a congolese man, sierra leoneans and even a liberian grin

it doesn't mean i am kenyan wink, it just means my face is literally a reflection of different ppls...my forefathers. kiss so much so that i don't really look like a particular tribe in the regions i most likely have ancestry in west/central africa.

@Bold, Exactly, you are a creation of many peoples and may share features with different ethnicities. It is actually to our benefit when there
is a mix in a family once in a while. This is because new genes are introduced bringing the likelihood of healthier offspring.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
here is another example:

Naija man
www.nairaland.com/attachments/603743_593889_hot_naija_men_jpg398f16ea3e61339e678ca8c90c5e6edd_jpgb95b67a9f2f630415a09cb00352bd042

Tyson Beckford.

They favor yes? But guess what, tyson is 1/3rd asian which is why HIS eyes are "chinky" (not to be racist).
therefore their "looking alike" is coincidental.

anyway brb
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 10:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:
here is another example:

Naija man
www.nairaland.com/attachments/603743_593889_hot_naija_men_jpg398f16ea3e61339e678ca8c90c5e6edd_jpgb95b67a9f2f630415a09cb00352bd042

Tyson Beckford.

They favor yes? But guess what, tyson is 1/3rd asian which is why HIS eyes are "chinky" (not to be racist).

anyway brb

There are many native Africans with those eyes though, especially in the Sahara.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

There are many native Africans with those eyes though, especially in the Sahara.

Yes I have seen it among Africans too like Khoisans. But the Orientals have strong proven genetic links with Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:
here is another example:

Naija man

Tyson Beckford.

anyway brb

Yes they do. In my opinion Tyson Beckford has some Igbo genetics in there.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
Adamskuty:

Its generalizations like this that people like you are quick to make. You live in Nigeria. You interact daily with Igbo people. You should have known better than to reiterate the anti-Igbo sentiments on Nairaland.

That you have a personal problem with Igbos doesn't mean you should generalize. You should know that nairaland is one place where people come to play out their wishful fantasies that they'd never do or can't do in real life.

Or maybe you're Ikwerre or Ika. Igbo-speakers who are rife with anti-igbo sentiments more than other tribes.

Maybe, in your illusion you've failed to notice that its only one tribe on nairaland that's always bickering against Igbos. One tribe now translates to majority of Nigerians. What has happened to the Ibibios, Efiks, Idomas, Edos, Kalabaris, Hausas etc who are very good friends of the Igbos?

Hausas are everywhere in Igboland trading and making good living out of their trades. Many of them have integrated into the Igbo community and many even speak Igbo fluently. They surely would never have stepped foot into Igboland or let alone bothered to learn Igbo if they shared the same sentiments with you.

Wake up from your illusion. This is no longer the 80s or post civil-war era when anti-Igbo sentiments were rife because they had just lost the war. The Igbo nation has progressed immensely.

If you chose to wallow in your illusion and let tribalism becloud your sense of objective reasoning so be it. I rated your place long time ago when you found your level in deriving fun in replying that troll from Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
^^^

Fulaman what's that his post still doing up there? It doesn't relate to the thread.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
Wow black American are not heavily mixed. What kind of lie is this again? Next u will tell us how u are Hebrew or u were kings in Egypt.

Slaves were sold according to their provenance. So the probability to see Slaves coming from the same area was very high. They married/fcked each other .
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Its generalizations like this that people like you are quick to make. You live in Nigeria. You interact daily with Igbo people. You should have known better than to reiterate the anti-Igbo sentiments on Nairaland.

That you have a personal problem with Igbos doesn't mean you should generalize. You should know that nairaland is one place where people come to play out their wishful fantasies that they'd never do or can't do in real life.

Or maybe you're Ikwerre or Ika. Igbo-speakers who are rife with anti-igbo sentiments more than other tribes.

Maybe, in your illusion you've failed to notice that its only one tribe on nairaland that's always bickering against Igbos. One tribe now translates to majority of Nigerians. What has happened to the Ibibios, Efiks, Idomas, Edos, Kalabaris, Hausas etc who are very good friends of the Igbos?

Hausas are everywhere in Igboland trading and making good living out of their trades. Many of them have integrated into the Igbo community and many even speak Igbo fluently. They surely would never have stepped foot into Igboland or let alone bothered to learn Igbo if they shared the same sentiments with you.

Wake up from your illusion. This is no longer the 80s or post civil-war era when anti-Igbo sentiments were rife because they had just lost the war. The Igbo nation has progressed immensely.

If you chose to wallow in your illusion and let tribalism becloud your sense of objective reasoning so be it. I rated your place long time ago when you found your level in deriving fun in replying that troll from Ghana.
lol! I hear u,i do not belong to any of those tribes u mentioned nor am i from the south. I'm an igala b0Y cheesy
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 10:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Wow black American are not heavily mixed. What kind of lie is this again? Next u will tell us how u are Hebrew or u were kings in Egypt.

Slaves were sold according to their provenance. So the probability to see Slaves coming from the same area was very high. They married/fcked each other .

Who said African Americans are heavily mixed? I said the on average African Americans have 10-15% non African admixture.
Now that is a reasonable mix. Heavily mixed in my opinion is 20% and above. Though some are like Condoleezza Rice. But tribal admixture is high. Remember slaves would sold on from one place to the next. Also the biggest and strongest slaves were carried around different plantations to impregnate other female slaves in the hope of producing more strong slaves. Thus creating more genetic diversity.

The experience of the slave trade created great genetic diversity. Believe me a simple ancestry test will show the genetic diversity of blacks from the diaspora.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

i don't doubt that.
but tyson beckford is not native african. he is jamaican with asian ancestry lol.
my point is that you cannot claim someone is from a region or tribe just based on features.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

You are correct. It is very refreshing to talk to a conscious sister. Ever since we were taken to the new world, our people began to integrate
with each other regardless of tribe or ethnicities. The slave trade caused a permanent genetic shift and mingled the blood of African peoples that would not usually mix with each other on such a large scale.

The DNA ancestry tests that we currently have are only able to give us two ancestral lineages, missing out all of the valuable genetic information from hundreds of ancestors that was essential in creating us!

that's true!
smiley we have widened our gene pool not only through race mixing but also due to different tribes intermingling smiley

and btw i like talking to you too!
you are also aware of our history, fair, and know what you are talking about. kiss
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Who said African Americans are heavily mixed? I said the on average African Americans have 10-15% non African admixture.
Now that is a reasonable mix. Heavily mixed in my opinion is 20% and above. Though some are like Condoleezza Rice. But tribal admixture is high. Remember slaves would sold on from one place to the next. Also the biggest and strongest slaves were carried around different plantations to impregnate other female slaves in the hope of producing more strong slaves. Thus creating more genetic diversity.

The experience of the slave trade created great genetic diversity. Believe me a simple ancestry test will show the genetic diversity of blacks from the diaspora.

dont even bother explaining dear. smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:

that's true!
smiley we have widened our gene pool not only through race mixing but also due to different tribes intermingling smiley

Funny how some of our continental brothers get upset because we observe all our ancestries wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Funny how some of our continental brothers get upset because we observe all our ancestries wink

it's not funny it's actually quite sad.
in fact very sad.

I had to re-quote that! smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
Adamskuty: lol! I hear u,i do not belong to any of those tribes u mentioned nor am i from the south. I'm an igala b0Y cheesy

i keep forgetting you are igala! smiley

and you sure don't hit the blizzunt from time to time? grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
*Kails*:

it's not funny it's actually quite sad.
in fact very sad.

I had to re-quote that! smiley

Maybe a war is going on and they want us to choose a side. Hutu or Tutsi?

Kalis you have to choose one or be executed. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
Jayvarley:

Maybe a war is going on and they want us to choose a side. Hutu or Tutsi?

Kalis you have to choose one or be executed. grin

I'm hutu. tongue grin

you're tutsi right?
don't talk to me. angry

FOH. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
Adamskuty: lol! I hear u,i do not belong to any of those tribes u mentioned nor am i from the south. I'm an igala b0Y cheesy

No wonder. That explains it all. I once had an Igala room mate in my first year in the university. I'm not surprised.

Its why I didn't bother counting your tribe among Igbo-friendly tribes in Nigeria given the way you guys took matchetes and guns to your hands over the Anambra-Kogi Oil issue and butchered hundreds of Igbos living at the Anambra border.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (59) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.