Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,029 members, 7,939,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:22 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (116997 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 09, 2013
--
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 09, 2013
@Fulaman, thanks a whole lot. You're really working. No room for childish comments. Pls, itry to check other threads and sanitize it. Kwame_tut is violating the thread rule posting nud.e pics.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Kails*:

angry angry angry

how dare you!?! shocked shocked angry

You don't see the resemblance sis? angry

Just look sideways.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 1:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley: ^^None of these Igbos seem to look like each other. I am trying to learn the differences in features between them and the Yoruba. At the moment I'm pushed! grin

From what I understood from my hubby who is an Igbo. He said each village has different tribes of Igbo clans. For example, Imo state is considered to be the beauty village whereas Engusu state is considered business stars so the looks would be different if they only marry within their village.

Some marry from other villages as well. My hubby's friend is from Anambra and they looks totally different. My hubby is fione of course. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ok, I see.

But can your husband tell the difference between an Igbo and a Yoruba person, without hearing them speak?
Are there really distinguishable features between the two groups?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
In my experience, it appears chubby cheeks and prominent lips + comparatively darker skin and somewhat prominent eyeballs are stereotyped as Yoruba features. My cousin has those and people are always mistaking her for a Yoruba girl.

But there are thousands and thousands of Yorubas who don't answer to that description. Just like there are thousands of Igbos who don't look 'stereotypically' Igbo (eg, my cousin).

Personally, the way I tell the two groups apart is by tribal marks (if they have any) or by their accents (again if they speak with one). Otherwise, I just ask them.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 2:04pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley: Ok, I see.

But can your husband tell the difference between an Igbo and a Yoruba person, without hearing them speak?
Are there really distinguishable features between the two groups?

If the person is mixed (both igbo and yoruba) no you can't but you can tell by some distinct features such nose, lip, and chin.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 2:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
Radoillo: In my experience, it appears chubby cheeks and prominent lips + comparatively darker skin and somewhat prominent eyeballs are stereotyped as Yoruba features. My cousin has those and people are always mistaking her for a Yoruba girl.

But there are thousands and thousands of Yorubas who don't answer to that description. Just like there are thousands of Igbos who don't look 'stereotypically' Igbo (eg, my cousin).

Personally, the way I tell the two groups apart is by tribal marks (if they have any) or by their accents (again if they speak with one). Otherwise, I just ask them.

I'm not sure I buy the whole light skinned Igbo thing. I've seen plenty of dark Igbos like Christine Ohuruogu.

Notice that she also has full eyes?

I've also seen plenty of fair skinned Yoruba's too.

There has to be something more structural than skin tone. Are there really any genetic differences between the two groups?

I'm starting to think not. .

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2013
There probably isn't. But then I know next to nothing about DNA and genetic markers and all that.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 3:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
Radoillo: There probably isn't. But then I know next to nothing about DNA and genetic markers and all that.

They are probably too closely related to be able to tell the difference by looks alone.
Especially in modern times where tribal markings are used less.

Now I can usually say a person may look Nigerian, Ghanaian, Caribbean, South African or East African but the whole tribe thing is still uncertain to me.

Would like to know more about the Black diaspora as a whole.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 09, 2013
I still can't tell Nigerians from Ghanaians. (Am I not looking closely enough?) Its easier with East and Southern Africans though.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 5:05pm On Oct 09, 2013
Radoillo: I still can't tell Nigerians from Ghanaians. (Am I not looking closely enough?) Its easier with East and Southern Africans though.

I think there are differences.

Also noticed that Ghanaian women seem to have smooth dark skin.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 5:59pm On Oct 09, 2013
slimmy05: @Fulaman, thanks a whole lot. You're really working. No room for childish comments. Pls, itry to check other threads and sanitize it. Kwame_tut is violating the thread rule posting nud.e pics.

You know if this is truly true, you can report them in the culture section and I can handle them appropriately. Unfortunately, since I also have a busy personal life I can not go through all threads in culture and sanitize them. You can help by clicking the report feature

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 6:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
Radoillo: I still can't tell Nigerians from Ghanaians. (Am I not looking closely enough?) Its easier with East and Southern Africans though.

West Africa in general it is hard to tell ethnic groups apart. The thing that differentiates ethnic groups are the following

1. Accent (most importantly)
2. Ethnic marks (some ethnic groups in the village still use them like mine)
3. Ethnic dressing

Those are the 3 major ones.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

West Africa in general it is hard to tell ethnic groups apart. The thing that differentiates ethnic groups are the following

1. Accent (most importantly)
2. Ethnic marks (some ethnic groups in the village still use them like mine)
3. Ethnic dressing

Those are the 3 major ones.

I guess it would be difficult to tell if the ethnic groups are closely related.

But those tribes who are only loosely related there may be noticeable difference.

For instance there are several Jamaicans who I can see are clearly of significant Akan descent.

Though I would not be able to tell you which clan they come from.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:12pm On Oct 09, 2013
^^ That is an obvious one grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
^^ So you saying Akans look the same undecided
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:25pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

I guess it would be difficult to tell if the ethnic groups are closely related.

But those tribes who are only loosely related there may be noticeable difference.

For instance there are several Jamaicans who I can see are clearly of significant Akan descent.

Though I would not be able to tell you which clan they come from.

This guy could pass as a Fulani man too
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:25pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
^^ So you saying Akans look the same undecided

Of course not, but they are related to each other and will generally look like each other.

A tribe is kind of like an extended family.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

Of course not, but they are related to each other and will generally look like each other.

A tribe is kind of like an extended family.

The thing is that the Akan are an ethnic group and they are closely related to Ashanti people.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

This guy could pass as a Fulani man too

Not in my opinion.

Find me a Fulani man who looks like him and post a picture! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:29pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

The thing is that the Akan are an ethnic group and they are closely related to Ashanti people.

The Ashanti are descendants of the Akan people and only form one Clan out of many

Look up

Rita Marley, I Octane, Ninja Man.

They look like Akan people but I am not good enough to say which clan!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

Lol Ashanti's are Akans but not all Akans are Ashanti's for example Fante are Akans too but are not Ashanti's(they are different tribes)
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

Not in my opinion.

Find me a Fulani man who looks like him and post a picture! grin

I could post several but what is the point. Even Fulani people have different kinds of lucks from Senegal to Sudan, because like Kails has said, overtime. All West Africans have 1 common root ancestor, that is why the languages are all classified as Niger-Congo. I'm surprised you would say you don't think so when I myself am a Fulani man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
Subgroups of the Akan proper include: Asante, Akuapem and Akyem (the Asante, Akuapem and Akyem dialects are together known as Twi), Agona, Kwahu, Wassa, Fante (Fanti or Mfantse: Anomabo, Abura, Gomua) and Brong. Subgroups of the Bia-speaking groups include: the Anyin, Baoulé, Chakosi (Anufo), Sefwi (Sehwi), Nzema, Ahanta and Jwira-Pepesa.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_people
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:34pm On Oct 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMcraRDVfWk - Fulani rapper from Senegal
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

I could post several but what is the point. Even Fulani people have different kinds of lucks from Senegal to Sudan, because like Kails has said, overtime. All West Africans have 1 common root ancestor, that is why the languages are all classified as Niger-Congo. I'm surprised you would say you don't think so when I myself am a Fulani man.
This is very true. There is not just one set specific look.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

@ Bold, I live in the UK I don't really see any Fulani people here in any significant numbers.

As for Akan people anywhere I turn I see one grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (59) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.