Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,029 members, 7,939,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:22 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (117000 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley: Subgroups of the Akan proper include: Asante, Akuapem and Akyem (the Asante, Akuapem and Akyem dialects are together known as Twi), Agona, Kwahu, Wassa, Fante (Fanti or Mfantse: Anomabo, Abura, Gomua) and Brong. Subgroups of the Bia-speaking groups include: the Anyin, Baoulé, Chakosi (Anufo), Sefwi (Sehwi), Nzema, Ahanta and Jwira-Pepesa.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_people

Even with the Akans, you can see how diverse they are. That is why I say West Africans physically speaking do not look much different unless if you are talking about nomads (who tend to be thinner).

Now if we look at Sedentary Fulani vs. Nomadic Fulani, you will see a difference in body structure (Nomadic Fulani are more slim because they are more active) despite diets being nearly identical.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:
[/b]

@ Bold, I live in the UK I don't really see any Fulani people here in any significant numbers.

As for Akan people anywhere I turn I see one grin

Lol but maybe there are Fulani's but you do not recognise them as such. When i first came on Nairaland i was told i do not look like a "Ghanaian" and one further said that he has never seen a Ghanaian who looked liked me undecided. Anyways i said it's because of his perception. If he was out in the street and saw me, he wold not think am Ghanaian so there are also other Ghanaians who he would not recognised since he already has a perception of how we all look.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

Even with the Akans, you can see how diverse they are. That is why I say West Africans physically speaking do not look much different unless if you are talking about nomads (who tend to be thinner).

Now if we look at Sedentary Fulani vs. Nomadic Fulani, you will see a difference in body structure (Nomadic Fulani are more slim because they are more active) despite diets being nearly identical.

I do not know much about the Fulani people as I said there are not any significant numbers in the UK that I know of.

As for Jamaican people who have a strong historical link with Ghana, I can honestly say that I see resemblance with the Ghanaians that I see in England.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:44pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

I do not know much about the Fulani people as I said there are not any significant numbers in the UK that I know of.

As for Jamaican people who have a strong historical link with Ghana, I can honestly say that I see resemblance with the Ghanaians that I see in England.

Lol this is true i must agree with this.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
Are you Jamaican or African American?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol but maybe there are Fulani's but you do not recognise them as such. When i first came on Nairaland i was told i do not look like a "Ghanaian" and one further said that he has never seen a Ghanaian who looked liked me undecided. Anyways i said it's because of his perception. If he was out in the street and saw me, he wold not think am Ghanaian so there are also other Ghanaians who he would not recognised since he already has a perception of how we all look.

@ Bold this is possible but it seems that they do not come to the UK as much as other Africans.

So are you going to post your picture up? I will tell you if you look Ghanaian or not grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:49pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Are you Jamaican or African American?

A mixture of Jamaican, Barbadian and a hint of African American grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

@ Bold this is possible but it seems that they do not come to the UK as much as other Africans.

So are you going to post your picture up? I will tell you if you look Ghanaian or not grin
Lol It's because i am light-skinned and they believe all Ghanaians are dark
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 7:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

A mixture of Jamaican, Barbadian and a hint of African American grin
Nice mixture

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:

Exactly this
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

You have to understand one thing, Fulani are not only Nigerian by nationality. They can be from any West African country, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia, Senegal, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Benin, Togo, Liberia, etc. etc. A lot are in France and Belgium (those from francophone countries), as a matter of fact, there are huge Fulani communities in those countries that they have a Tabital Pulaagu meetup group setup there. In the United States, most Fulani live in New York and other large cities. However, those Fulani tend to be from Senegal or Guinea.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol It's because i am light-skinned and they believe all Ghanaians are dark

grin I admit most Ghanaians that I have met were dark, but I have met a few who were medium to light skinned.

But then again all black populations have a few light skinned people even Kenya!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

You have to understand one thing, Fulani are not only Nigerian by nationality. They can be from any West African country, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia, Senegal, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Benin, Togo, Liberia, etc. etc. A lot are in France and Belgium (those from francophone countries), as a matter of fact, there are huge Fulani communities in those countries that they have a Tabital Pulaagu meetup group setup there. In the United States, most Fulani live in New York and other large cities. However, those Fulani tend to be from Senegal or Guinea.

I don't doubt you,

but I have never met any Fulani person who has proudly identified himself as one.

As for other Africans that I have met they have identified their nationality and tribe.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

grin I admit most Ghanaians that I have met were dark, but I have met a few who were medium to light skinned.

But then again all black populations have a few light skinned people even Kenya!

Well even if they are lighter-complexioned, they are still black. Most people in general assume that to be African you must be super dark. This rule does not even apply to South Sudan which have the darkest people in the world. Anyways I will not derail this thread any longer. A good portion of African Americans came from what is today Senegambia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, etc. a few from Angola as well. It is really hard to determine where African Americans are from unless they take a DNA test. Physical appearance alone will not tell them where their ancestors originate from.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

In the United States, most Fulani live in New York and other large cities. However, those Fulani tend to be from Senegal or Guinea.

Yup, like that lady who sucked DSK's pipe.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:04pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

I don't doubt you,

but I have never met any Fulani person who has proudly identified himself as one.

Yah the U.K. probably does not have that many Fulani people. If they were, most of those Fulani would come from Anglophone countries, (Gambia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Ghana) and those of the WASC association. Now, Most countries in West Africa are French speaking, so majority of Fulani people would probably go to a French speaking country. Though for some odd reason the Senegalese and Guineans who are French speaking also come to America a lot. The man who was killed in New York I believe in 1999 by racist police officers (Amadou Diallo prounced as Ah-mah-do for first name and Jah - low for last name) was a Fulani man.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 8:08pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

Exactly, yet there are tribes in Ghana who have predominantly light skin and even amongst the dark skin there are different features.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
here we go with the skin color and claiming jamaicans look like one ppl crap.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

I guess it would be difficult to tell if the ethnic groups are closely related.

But those tribes who are only loosely related there may be noticeable difference.

For instance there are several Jamaicans who I can see are clearly of significant Akan descent.

Though I would not be able to tell you which clan they come from.

Fulaman198:

This guy could pass as a Fulani man too

grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman you gotta help me!
I don't know what else to say bro. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

Well even if they are lighter-complexioned, they are still black. Most people in general assume that to be African you must be super dark. This rule does not even apply to South Sudan which have the darkest people in the world. Anyways I will not derail this thread any longer. A good portion of African Americans came from what is today Senegambia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, etc. a few from Angola as well. It is really hard to determine where African Americans are from unless they take a DNA test. Physical appearance alone will not tell them where their ancestors originate from.

The DNA tests only scratch the surface of a persons ancestry. As they only target two lines of Ancestry Mt DNA or Y DNA
essentially that is your Female direct line passed from Mother to daughter or the Male line from Father to son .

A Y DNA test will not tell you the origins of your Father's Mother

A Mt DNA test will not tell you the origin of Mother's Father.

African Americans by now are descended from as many tribes that were sold into slavery.
All of this includes some slight European and possibly Native American ancestry.

If you are from the Diaspora and you think that you will be able trace your ancestry back to only one tribe you are kidding yourself!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Kails*:
Fulaman you gotta help me!
I don't know what else to say bro. grin

How can I help you smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

The DNA tests only scratch the surface of a persons ancestry. As they only target two lines of Ancestry Mt DNA or Y DNA
essentially that is your Female direct line passed from Mother to daughter or the Male line from Father to son .

A Y DNA test will not tell you the origins of your Father's Mother

A Mt DNA test will not tell you the origin of Mother's Father.

African Americans by now are descended from as many tribes that were sold into slavery.
All of this includes some slight European and possibly Native American ancestry.

If you are from the Diaspora and you think that you will be able trace your ancestry back to only one tribe you are kidding yourself!

I'm sure that most African Americans believe they will have a multitude of ethnic groups Akan, Igbo, Fulani, Wolof, Serer, Bini, Mande, etc. etc. There were hundreds of ethnic groups that came from Africa to the Americas.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Kails*:
here we go with the skin color and claiming jamaicans look like one ppl crap.

Will you please help the thread and post us a picture and show us how diverse your Jamaican features are! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

I'm sure that most African Americans believe they will have a multitude of ethnic groups Akan, Igbo, Fulani, Wolof, Serer, Bini, Mande, etc. etc. There were hundreds of ethnic groups that came from Africa to the Americas.

Yep!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
Fulaman198:

Binis/Edo people in the Americas are migrants after the slave trade.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2013
You should check this out to see diverse looks
https://www.nairaland.com/1042951/beauty-ghanaian-women/97#18700740
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
You should check this out to see diverse looks
https://www.nairaland.com/1042951/beauty-ghanaian-women/97#18700740

Well I saw some beauties there. Don't worry I never said you all look the same.

Well except on Wednesdays grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

Well I saw some beauties there. Don't worry I never said you all look the same.

Well only on Wednesdays grin
Lol grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
eziza:

Binis/Edo people in the Americas are migrants after the slave trade.

According to a chart someone posted, a lot of slaves came from the Bight of Benin.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:39pm On Oct 09, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol grin grin

So which is your tribe? tell me about them
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 8:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

So which is your tribe? tell me about them
Fante,Ewe, Hausa

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (59) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.