Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,007 members, 7,939,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 05:23 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (116990 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 11:02pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Kails*:

PAUSE!!

>> I AM JAMAICAN << I know MY people and our history.
My issue was and IS with you claiming I am trying to ignore ties which is probably the dumbest thing
you have said on this thread. What I am saying is, (as I proved the other day) that everything is not always what it seems.

I said that to other nlders a long time ago when we discussed "yoruba" brazil - was consistent
I said that to bigfrancis - was consistent
I am saying it to YOU NOW and am still standing by it.

obviously.
however what does that have to do with looks?!

Hold up....

[size=18pt]"Check my posts I said Beenie man had strong Akan features."[/size]

You implied that there is an akan look sir, those are YOUR words...

Remember it's because of your flip flopping why we are having this conversation in the first place, guy. tongue

My post earned me 2 likes because ppl saw that I stood by what I said YESTERDAY and the DAY BEFORE.
You cannot look at someone and assume they come from somewhere or a tribe.

??

WHEN DID I SAY THERE WAS NO RESEMBLANCE? OH! you're one of "those".

hmmmm...
For the last time, I said you cannot look at someone and assume that they come from one region or tribe.
THAT is what I said and unlike YOU, i have stood by that. wink

Of course we are going to have some physical traits of our fore parents...that's our BLOOD grin we are talking about
however a lot of times when we look like other ppl it's due to coincidence. THAT IS WHAT I AM SAYING. That is what I have ALWAYS said on this thread. You not only used the name of a tribe but tried to justify it talking about the maroons when beenie is not a maroon and even fulaman said he could even pass as fulani. grin

Firstly saying a person has strong Akan features does not make him pure Akan, it just means that the Akan genes are dominant.

I really do not understand the point you are trying to prove here.

Let me ask you a simple question?

If an Akan man has a child with an Igbo woman and the child looks like the father.

What tribe will people think the child is from?

It does not mean the child is pure Akan. It just mean that the Akan genes were more dominant in the child.

Several Nigerians have told me I resemble Igbo people.

Now I could of course dismiss it and say it's a lie. A bit like what you're doing! grin grin

Once, twice, then three, times. THEN I THINK ABOUT IT LOGICALLY.

There seems to be a pattern

All of these people cannot be lying.

Nigeria heavily supplied the countries of both my parents with slaves. So very easily a link can be made.

It does not mean that the blood of other tribes are not in my genetics. It just means that the genes that give me an Igbo appearance are dominant.

I am happy for you about your post earning two likes. I hope you are proud of yourself. wink

I am not one for saying things to please anyone.

I am still failing to see the great offence and why this argument even started in the first place.

If you say there is no Akan look then you must be right. wink

There is also no Chinese look either! grin

I WILL NOT ARGUE WITH A MAROON

It could be quite dangerous! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 11:08pm On Oct 09, 2013
*Kails*:
well lookie here! grin

https://www.nairaland.com/646049/nigerian-igbo-african-american/44#18650787

It is impossible to be from one tribe yes, but it is possible to look like one of them! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 09, 2013
ok. wink

IF YOU SAY SO! cheesy

I'm moving on.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 11:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Jayvarley:

Several Nigerians have told me I resemble Igbo people.

It must be your flat head.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 11:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
eziza:

It must be your flat head.

grin

Do you mean at the back?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 11:51pm On Oct 09, 2013
grin Just kidding bro.

But yeah, I can see how people would say you look Igbo. I have done so myself with a Jamaican girl I thought was Nigerian-igbo. But when communicating with her, I heard that Jamo twang in her accent and I was surprised.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 12:00am On Oct 10, 2013
eziza: grin Just kidding bro.

But yeah, I can see how people would say you look Igbo. I have done so myself with a Jamaican girl I thought was Nigerian-igbo. But when communicating with her, I heard that Jamo twang in her accent and I was surprised.

Thank you. .

So I'm not going crazy grin

There are so many Jamaicans and other West Indians that look like their cousins in Africa.

My Brother in Law is a born Jamaican and I have heard him say that there are some people in Jamaica that look like Nigerians.
and that's why they don't get along with Nigerians because they are the same people grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 7:58am On Oct 10, 2013
Fulaman198:

According to a chart someone posted, a lot of slaves came from the Bight of Benin.

Yea. One would readily assume that the 'Benin' in Bight of Benin refers majorly to the Bini people. But the opposite was the case. During the slave trade era the Bight of Benin, also referred to as the Slave coast, covered Togo, Benin and Western Nigeria.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Coast

The slaves gotten from this region were Ewe, Fon, Yoruba or Nago, Fante, etc. Anything but Edo.

The Bini/Edo were not won't to sell their own. This was also during the apex of the reign of the Bini Kingdom, and the Bini people held themselves in high esteem and considered themselves too royal to sell one another into the slave trade. They also considered it inhuman and a lack of money/influence to sell another person into slave trade and they never did. I must really commend them here.

The article below best captures the Edo and the slave trade.

Although over 30 per cent (about a third) of the
Atlantic Slave Trade took place in the territory under
Edo control, the Bight of Benin region of West Africa, the territory was too vast for the kingdom to police on a day by day and minute by minute basis, to prevent the trade. It was taboo, however, to capture or sell an Edo citizen and because the kingdom reasonably monitored this well, the African Diaspora has no concentration of Edo citizen slaves. Edo Chiefs had thousands of slaves captured in their territorial expansion wars but would not sell any. The Edo belief and saying was: "What level of hunger and deprivation would make an Edo Chief sell his slaves?"

Rather than sell, Edo Chiefs helped thousands of
slaves to escape from White holding camps in Edo
territory. In fact, Edo Oba Eresoyen was shot at in his palace by a White slave merchant because he
refused to help with the re-capture of escapee slaves from the White merchant's holding camps, hiding in Edo Chiefs farms in Edo kingdom.
European slave trade in West Africa started with the
acquisition of domestic servants in 1522, and warrior kingdoms like Edo (Benin) had plenty of them captured as war booties, but would not sell them. The slave trade was very unpopular with the Edo people. They thought it was silly to sell fellow human beings.

Their Obas and nobles were vehemently opposed to
the business of slave trade and to the export of the
productive fighting male. The Edo, of course, could
not control the day to day happenings of the slave
merchants, who apparently largely acted under cover at first in the vast territories under Edo hegemony. However, it was forbidden to sell or take a native Edo (Bini) into slavery and so elaborate identification marks on faces and chests were eventually contrived. The Bini, therefore, were hardly ever captured by Arabs or Europeans into slavery.

Oba Ehengbuda (1578 - 1604 CE.) Ehengbuda
ascended his father's throne in 1578 CE. While his
father, Oba Orhogbua, might be considered a water
warrior who made his greatest impact in the lagoon
territories, Oba Ehengbuda campaigned mainly on
land in the Yoruba areas. All the warrior Obas, most times, personally led their troops to war. Oba Ehengbuda, while prosecuting his military activities in the Akure area, sustained burns which healed to leave scars on his body. This was systematized in the Iwu body marks which every Edo adult had to acquire to be able to participate in royal and court activities of the land. The markings also served to identify the Edo person for protection during the slave trade. Strong efforts were made to prevent Edo people from being sold into slavery. Edo people openly and actively encouraged and facilitated the escape of slaves from the holding centres in the kingdom and particularly from the Ughoton port.

Alan Ryder, writing on this in his book: Benin and the European, narrated the experience of the Portuguese merchant, Machin Fernandes in Benin as early as 1522:

That was during the reign of Oba Esigie.
"Of the whole cargo of 83 slaves bought by Machin
Fernandes, only two were males - and it is quite
possible that these were acquired outside the Oba's
territory - despite a whole month (at Ughoton) spent in vain attempts to have a market opened for male slaves. The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."
None of the 83 slaves was an Edo person, according to Ryder, and no Edo person could have been involved in the sales. It was taboo in Edo culture. Edo Empire was vast, with a great concentration of people from different ethnic backgrounds, Yoruba, Ibo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igalla etc., making a living in the lucrative Ughoton route that was the main centre of commercial activities in the southern area at the time, of what later became Nigeria.

The Edo empire back then was a vast one covering other areas such as Western Igboland, Yoruba, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo etc and the 83 slaves sold, as recorded by Alan Ryder, were not Edo and must have come from these areas listed above.

DNA testing has also gone further to prove this fact correct. I'm yet to see any AA/Afro-Carribean
so far whose DNA testing turned up 'Bini'.

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2013
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 8:33am On Oct 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yea. One would readily assume that the 'Benin' in Bight of Benin refers majorly to the Bini people. But the opposite was the case. During the slave trade era the Bight of Benin, also referred to as the Slave coast, covered Togo, Benin and Western Nigeria.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Coast

The slaves gotten from this region were Ewe, Fon, Yoruba or Nago, Fante, etc. Anything but Edo.

The Bini/Edo were not won't to sell their own. This was also during the apex of the reign of the Bini Kingdom, and the Bini people held themselves in high esteem and considered themselves too royal to sell one another into the slave trade. They also considered it inhuman and a lack of money/influence to sell another person into slave trade and they never did. I must really commend them here.

The article below best captures the Edo and the slave trade.

The Edo empire back then was a vast one covering other areas such as Western Igboland, Yoruba, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo etc and the 83 slaves sold, as recorded by Alan Ryder, were not Edo and must have come from these areas listed above.

DNA testing has also gone further to prove this fact correct. I'm yet to see any AA/Afro-Carribean
so far whose DNA testing turned up 'Bini'.

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

Thank you for the information sir
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 4:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
Fulaman pls take it easy with the way u are hiding posts oh,especially mine angry
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 4:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
slimmy05: @Fulaman, thanks a whole lot. You're really working. No room for childish comments. Pls, itry to check other threads and sanitize it. Kwame_tut is violating the thread rule posting nud.e pics.
oohoo! So my comments were childish,huh?? Mister Good samaritan!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
so human being cannot even have some nice,lovely conversation with "some" babes of the thread again! Hmm! angry
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 5:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
Adamskuty: so human being cannot even have some nice,lovely conversation with "some" babes of the thread again! Hmm! angry

Thread needs to be related to the topic. Romance is for the romance section.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 5:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
Fulaman198:

ok sir,i hear u! angry
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
Fulaman198:

#slayed grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
Adamskuty: ok sir,i hear u! angry

lol! nor vex, he's just doing his jizzob! cool
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 10:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Omg! Fulaman has done it again sad fulaman pls i beg u sad why why why?? sad lemme interact with this sexy lady pls sad (i'm on my kneels sir,have mercy)
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 11:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: Omg! Fulaman has done it again sad fulaman pls i beg u sad why why why?? sad lemme interact with this sexy lady pls sad (i'm on my kneels sir,have mercy)

I have to do my job bro I sometimes have a hard time making judgment calls on what to sensor and not sensor, but it must be done.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman you are doing a good job, keep it up

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Adamskuty(m): 11:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nice one grin

bigfrancis i see you,pls add some more goodies to this thread so we can get it moving and free from bugs!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 12:06am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty: Nice one grin

bigfrancis i see you,pls add some more goodies to this thread so we can get it moving and free from bugs!

Funny man!

Ene dudu! tongue
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 12:10am On Oct 12, 2013
IGBO NSIBIDI WRITINGS DISCOVERED ON GRAVESTONES IN VIRGINIA.

A cemetery in George Washington National Forest in Amherst County Viginia, has been discovered to bear Igbo Nsibidi writings. For several years, observers have commented that the
gravestones in the cemetry had 'strange marks'. Recently, these strange marks have been identified as Igbo African
writings or ideograms originating in Nigeria.

The gravestones are inscribed with what appears to be Nsibidi, an Igbo writing system, confirming the survival of Igbo traditions during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Made of high-quality blue slate indigenous to the area and mined from a local quarry, the stones show little damage from weather or time. Subsequently, the place was named the “Seventeen Stones Cemetery.”

The stones were probably engraved between 1770 to 1830, when the Igbo Diaspora was at its height in Virginia. At that time, the Igbo people comprised approximately 70 percent of the blacks in Virginia,a larger percentage than in any other Southern state.

A star symbol at the top of one stone, signifying
“congress” or “unity” has similarities to the Kongo
cosmogram that depicts the life cycle of birth, life,
death and the afterlife. The cosmogram symbol has
equal perpendicular crossbars or lines, sometimes
contained in a diamond shape or a circle. Here, the
linear symbol in the lower register appears to be a
combination of the sign for “individual” and “this
land is mine.” Together the signs mean the deceased has joined the realm of the ancestors. Both symbols are enclosed in a rectangle, denoting their association. A line separating the symbols emphasizes they are separate but one.

Igbo ideograms were important elements of religious practice and served as mnemonic devices associated with religion and with moral and historical narratives.
In Igbo death and burial traditions, Nsibidi symbols honouring the ancestors were thought to protect the deceased.

The most appropriate place to honor one’s forefathers was the cemetery. At times, the deceased were consulted for help with day-to-day problems. Items such as chickens, rum and schnapps were offered as gifts for the deceased during a grave-side ceremony.

In the Seventeen Stones Cemetery, an iron pot was
found set into the ground, suggesting the possibility of ancestral worship at this site. Historical sources describe how slaves worshiped in the forest by talking to a pot — the retainer for words and thoughts that could not be made public. African inscriptions and accompanying religious practices were outlawed during the period of enslavement. Creating such symbols was punishable by death because of its association with witchcraft. Hence, few examples of African ideograms still exist in the United States.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1337321

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RoyalPearl(f): 12:11am On Oct 12, 2013
^^^Interesting

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (59) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.