Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,387 members, 7,894,663 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 01:22 PM

A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems (12452 Views)

How Buhari Is Hurting Nigeria’s Electoral Process (Vanguard) / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / Corruption Undermines Democracy In Nigeria, Electoral Reform And Halliburton As (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2011
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nadanbata: 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2011
PDP will make sure network is down or poor wether it doesnt have a base cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by vladimiros: 5:01pm On Apr 26, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^ PDP don`t have to worry

Northerners are illiterates they won`t be able to use their underage voters to vote
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

It is not the number of computers or the technology that is imported, it is to make sure that the project goes as planned.
it is to make sure that the data collected are OK and reliable, and not just some lazy individual just entering data cos she/he has to enter data, it is about integrity of the data and making sure that the nation really have values.

There are so many ways of making this to happen, and Nigeria has the money and the brain to make it happen, but we have leaders that will not want to see that happen, cos they are greedy and cos they dont want open book for the people to see it.

Go to the Apapa port and you will be ashamed to call Nigeria your country . . . .  Nigeria makes billions on a yearly basis from importation duties and all that, but still using papers there and nothing computerized . . . . .  and you wonder why every December, there is a back log . . . .

back to what we were talking about, till the masses of Nigeria wake up and tell the govt that enuf is enuf and that we want accountability, nothing will change
but like u said, they register children on papers when thay are born, for a succesful SSN number, it needs to be computerized too.

well like we have seen during the recent election, the last generation of politician has failed us, and even the generation out their, is lagging behind, i must say, the generation now, most of them are empty headed, i see ppl on facebook saying the money politician share to their uncle didnt reach me, how am i suppose to vote for them??
most of them are like 28 and 29, now how will we move forward with ppl like that?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 5:04pm On Apr 26, 2011
Immediately one votes it appears on record at INEC officies all around the country.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 5:06pm On Apr 26, 2011
ogagusps3:

Immediately one votes it appears on record at INEC officies all around the country.

That is a nice one, but remember there is no light in Nigeria and they could easily crash the server, cos all these are man manned.

Donlittle:

but like u said, they register children on papers when thay are born, for a succesful SSN number, it needs to be computerized too.

well like we have seen during the recent election, the last generation of politician has failed us, and even the generation out their, is lagging behind, i must say, the generation now, most of them are empty headed, i see ppl on facebook saying the money politician share to their uncle didnt reach me, how am i suppose to vote for them??
most of them are like 28 and 29, now how will we move forward with ppl like that?

I do agree with you, but like i said, we need to educate the people on what it is essential for the election to be successful.
Nadanbata:

PDP will make sure network is down or poor wether it doesnt have a base  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lol
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2011
Nadanbata:

PDP will make sure network is down or poor wether it doesnt have a base cheesy cheesy cheesy
Governorship and state House of assembly election in Nigeria scheduled for 26th April 2011, the accreditation of voters is expected to take place between 8am and 12 noon. while the voting is expected to start after 12 Noon.
But as at 10;17 am, 50 already thumb-printed ballot papers found on a Youth Corps member serving as Presiding Officer at the Local Authority Grammar School, Ibokun, Obokun Local Government, Osun State. She was arrested and handcuffed by policemen before being taken away for further interrogation.

The suspects named Mrs. Dupe Obembe is one of the corps members participating in the mandatory national service
She told security agents that 20 Presiding Officers were given the ballot papers already thumb-printed for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). She claimed further that other presiding officers in the ballot papers racket were located in other parts of Obokun Local Government including Esa-Oke.
She has been whisked to the Divisional Police Command in Ibokun for onward transfer to the State Criminal Investigations Department.

lol se sumthin like this?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 5:13pm On Apr 26, 2011
Truth be told, there is no problem this system will have that we don't have currently with the system were using now. It will come a long way in reducing problems we have and are seeing now.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nekai(f): 5:20pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

Governorship and state House of assembly election in Nigeria scheduled for 26th April 2011, the accreditation of voters is expected to take place between 8am and 12 noon. while the voting is expected to start after 12 Noon.
But as at 10;17 am, 50 already thumb-printed ballot papers found on a Youth Corps member serving as Presiding Officer at the Local Authority Grammar School, Ibokun, Obokun Local Government, Osun State. She was arrested and handcuffed by policemen before being taken away for further interrogation.

The suspects named Mrs. Dupe Obembe is one of the corps members participating in the mandatory national service
She told security agents that 20 Presiding Officers were given the ballot papers already thumb-printed for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). She claimed further that other presiding officers in the ballot papers racket were located in other parts of Obokun Local Government including Esa-Oke.
She has been whisked to the Divisional Police Command in Ibokun for onward transfer to the State Criminal Investigations Department.

With the recent killings of youth corps members, I hardly blame her.

Hmmm, 16 year old you have a bold and revolutionary plan here, however, even with a system as you described, computer viruses and cell phone network viruses could corrupt the votes. That's how the rigging is done in american politics.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 5:24pm On Apr 26, 2011
Nekai:

With the recent killings of youth corps members, I hardly blame her.

Hmmm, 16 year old you have a bold and revolutionary plan here, however, even with a system as you described, computer viruses and cell phone network viruses could corrupt the votes. That's how the rigging is done in american politics.

The operator is not talking of eradicating rigging, but minimize it and get move involvement from the people
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 26, 2011
RIGGINg can not be stopped, but can only be reduced, @least when u wnt to rigg, u rig with sense, not like the yar adua results in 2007, loooooool fuckkking pdp
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nekai(f): 5:28pm On Apr 26, 2011
I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't be fool proof and the opposition would still contest.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nekai(f): 5:29pm On Apr 26, 2011
It would definitely save money and lives.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by ogagusps3: 5:33pm On Apr 26, 2011
Postal voting describes the method of voting in an election whereby ballot papers are distributed and/or returned by post to electors, in contrast to electors voting in person at a polling station or electronically via an electronic voting system.

It is of benefit to people who may not be able to attend a polling station in person, either through a physical disability or absence from the locality. This method of voting is available to voters upon application (sometimes with restrictions) in statutory elections in many democratic nations.

On the other hand, concerns about postal voting have been raised as to whether it complies with the requirements of a secret ballot, in that people cast their vote outside the security of a polling station, and whether voters can cast their vote privately free from another person's coercion. There have been cases of electoral fraud with postal votes in the United Kingdom (including in Birmingham at the 2004 European and local government elections in the UK)[1][2][3]

Postal voting can be a way to prevent manipulation of an election through "get out the vote" efforts, for instance, in state conventions of a society, in which supporters of a cause or candidate transport in their supporters by bus in order to vote and then bus them home again.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nadanbata: 6:02pm On Apr 26, 2011
Donlittle:

But as at 10;17 am, 50 already thumb-printed ballot papers found
on a Youth Corps member serving as Presiding Officer at the Local Authority Grammar School, Ibokun, Obokun Local Government, Osun State. She was arrested and handcuffed by policemen before being taken away for further interrogation.

cheesy cheesy
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by JomoGbomo2(m): 6:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
Its like we do not seem to get the problem, we have never lacked the ideas of voting, the problem is that the senate and federal house of rep are the ones that do not like any mode of voting that can't be rigged. their reason is:

There are a lot of people that wont be able to use the system/technology involve so it can't be used.

Jega tried using the captured image and thump prints gotten through the registration exercise but it was thrown out of the window by the same people. our representatives and senators.

How can i criminal make a law that will put him in jail. how can they pass a bill that will make them not to rig the election.

That is the reason my friend.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2011
i dey laff gaan
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by adconline(m): 6:40pm On Apr 26, 2011
Good idea, but implementation is the key. Like they say in business, ideas are cheap, but there is a dearth of execution
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2011
adconline:

Good idea, but implementation is the key. Like they say in business, ideas are cheap, but there is a dearth of execution

If the govt see it useful and really would like to see changes and a better nation, if they are determined, i am sure it can be done
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 26, 2011
Very good idea, i applaud you. Though not perfect, but i admire your ability to think outside the box. I am assuming you have considered the cons as well! ATM machines started from a simple idea also,
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 26, 2011
I don't think all ideas are cheap! Good ideas will make you good money if pursued!
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by AjanleKoko: 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2011
Nice idea. We'll need a highly literate population to make this succeed though, a mass education campaign to ensure people send the right stuff, and of course the belief, trust, and confidence in the solution.

We are so suspicious in Nigeria, we'll never believe such will work here.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by leugyang(m): 7:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
My dear your opinion is brilliant and reasonable but remember another paid genius like you is studying this and many more avenues to enhance rigging and his own will be more quickly implimented than yours hence rigging has come to stay. Very sad
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by JORDAN202: 7:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
This rather very brilliant 16yrs old mind should be encouraged. The proposal given here by this youth, if properly modified, will give us the ultimate free & fair elections  for 2015.

What a genius !
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2011
leugyang:

My dear your opinion is brilliant and reasonable but remember another paid genius like you is studying this and many more avenues to enhance rigging and his own will be more quickly implimented than yours hence rigging has come to stay. Very sad
very sad, but it the truth
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 7:23pm On Apr 26, 2011
leugyang:

Full gbammmmmmmm
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by leugyang(m): 7:24pm On Apr 26, 2011
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Pearlsome: 7:27pm On Apr 26, 2011
I can see that many people are opposed to the idea and that shows that Nigerians even the young ones are not innovative in their thinking sometimes.
Even before ATMs were deployed, I remember everyone saying, Ha, it won't work, Nigerians are illiterates and they won't be able to operate it.
I think this is a brilliant effort which looks a bit similar to what it is in Brazil.
The idea just has to be well looked upon and developed where possible.
Well done
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by MeGaStReEt: 7:49pm On Apr 26, 2011
How do we solve this problem, when over 150million minds are corrupt

God help Nigeria
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by MBG4Real(m): 7:50pm On Apr 26, 2011
Your idea is not bad, but it will not be accepted by majority. Technology cannot be trusted by the educated not to talk of the half educated and the illiterates among us.

I have not heard this being used anywhere in the world, even in the technologically advanced countries. It is computer that control the text message system. The problem is that computers can be harked. People can deliberately attack the network and pull it down. most often the perpetrators can not be known. We don't know everything about computers, No one can guarantee that the system will not breakdown.  

The security of a country like ours is too risky to be handed over to few machines.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by tlops(m): 7:55pm On Apr 26, 2011
Pearlsome:

I can see that many people are opposed to the idea and that shows that Nigerians even the young ones are not innovative in their thinking sometimes.
Even before ATMs were deployed, I remember everyone saying, Ha, it won't work, Nigerians are illiterates and they won't be able to operate it.
I think this is a brilliant effort which looks a bit similar to what it is in Brazil.
The idea just has to be well looked upon and developed where possible.
Well done

Dont mind them, people are quicker to identify faults but slow to see the ingenuity in the idea. this system is not totally dependent on the phone number but on the personal code you get during registration. there is no perfect system but with a little "patch" here and there we could come out with a viable solution.

I still think the idea of an SSN would do alot to reduce this virus.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Thatdave(m): 8:00pm On Apr 26, 2011
no need 4 campain. i'll just buy 100s of sim cards and vote 4 myself. or just change figures at the inec database. since i am jega.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Thuraya Phones Banned In States On Emergency Rule / Osinbajo Meets Dogara, Reps Behind Closed Door / Saraki, Kwara's New Law And Its Implication For Our Democratic System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.