Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,196 members, 7,925,713 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:07 PM

A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems (12480 Views)

How Buhari Is Hurting Nigeria’s Electoral Process (Vanguard) / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / Corruption Undermines Democracy In Nigeria, Electoral Reform And Halliburton As (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2011
kayus4luv2:

i will suggest that anybody caught trying to rig the election should be killed immediately. This is because this are people that will want to want to rig also when they have the tendency of being in power and moreover those that do not have the love of this country in their heart and still want it to go worse then it was b4 are not fit to live.

SO KILL EM ALL grin grin grin

Would this proposal include those that send them too or would it be just the hungry little guy on the corner of the street?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by kodewrita(m): 5:05pm On Apr 27, 2011
I guess you want to create jobs for unscrupulous romanian hackers. spoofing that process is pretty simple. all we need is the IP address or the phone number of the INEC contact points. Of course there might be addition of PIN codes to enable us add more authentication but what stops the incumbent president through the NCC from interfering with the process.\

All he has to do is inform them that tax will be increased pending some negotiation. Closed door meeting would instantly lead to a PDP victory. C'est fini.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Toboski: 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2011
This would have been a very good system i.e. if the Inec officials are sincere enough to ensure that that there are no multiple registration and registered under-aged voters but the real challenge will be with the actual voting, voters can be easily bought and supervised to vote for specific candidates, so the man with the fattest bank account will most likely emerge.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by UncleJJ(m): 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2011
Kai Kai, i dey cres abi i dey madt,

You think am for technology mak em decide our puture toh walai , i don kill am for us ,

Cant u sea dadt thisi pro-blem hin tis corntree is em horngoninezasun

Chineke Godt of Izleh right. Com-poo-tah shocked heh heh heh shocked, givi me dee contlact to suppry automantic computah, that use kerosene to computalat cool
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by seanet02: 6:01pm On Apr 27, 2011
Not possible
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by misterh(m): 7:37pm On Apr 27, 2011
The solution is naive. What of someone that has 2 or more phones. politicians will race to buy phones and sim cards in cartons. It cannot work,
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Apr 27, 2011
misterh:

The solution is naive. What of someone that has 2 or more phones. politicians will race to buy phones and sim cards in cartons. It cannot work,

If you have followed the thread well, you would realize that the moderator said:
There will be registration and it will be one number per person, and upon registration, a unique number would be given, and any vote out of those unique number wont be counted.
BTW . . . this is just a 16 year old fella and with such a brilliant idea . . . . . i am not saying it will work perfectly, but we could look at how and ways to make it work.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Musiwa13: 7:46pm On Apr 27, 2011
so
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Apr 27, 2011
Musiwa,:

social security number can not work in nigeria because of ethnicity. You can see prof jega come up with wonderful out of this earth figure . So that young man is wasting his time. even using electronic , nigeria would rig it. the cell phone companies are going to fix the figure. nigeria is not a very honest society.

you can see prof jega making up figures. it would not work in nigeria. we need to remove edo,delta , bay, and yoruba for the system to work, depend on what the igbo want.

Social Security Number will and can work great in Nigeria with ease . . . . . .
The young man's idea is not to eradicate rigging cos no one can eliminate rigging . . . . . Even the most developed nation is still experiencing rigging . . . .but it will be reduced.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by kubelan(m): 5:35pm On Apr 28, 2011
What a brilliant girl, My dear there's a technology like that under construction developed by Nigerians in collaboration of Siemens, when it's out it will be the first of it's kind in the world. But my dear not with mobile phones, and it will not use a software so it's not hackable.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On Apr 28, 2011
kubelan:

What a brilliant girl, My dear there's a technology like that under construction developed by Nigerians in collaboration of Siemens, when it's out it will be the first of it's kind in the world. But my dear not with mobile phones, and it will not use a software so it's not hackable.

Will it be operated by humans that are Nigerians?
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 28, 2011
kubelan:

guy ur so funny ooo? what program wont use a software on the computer?? please think am well well oo, as far as it a software, u can hack into it,and u and i knw, pdp is ready to do anything to rigg come 2015
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by GENELAND: 2:12am On Apr 29, 2011
My dear Thank you very much but stop worrying your head. INEC knows all these and a lot more on how to conduct a rig and hassle-free election.They just dont want to do it yet becos whatever they want to gain. For example. what is the correlation between the finger print registration and the actual paper voting. Answer- none. The finger print registration is a bio-metric authentication system to ensure unique identification of each individual.For the actual voting to correlate with the registration authentication system,there has to also be real-time finger printing during voting. What we had was paper finger printing which obviously was not transfered into a computer systems to be cross-checked or authenticated with the ones already in the database(collected during registration.)Summary is election in nigeria is still a child's play. We are just being boobooed by INEC. When INEC is ready, few of our IT professional can build a 99%full-proof voting system at about 1% cost of what they claim to have spent on these booboo systems of theirs.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Nobody: 2:45am On Apr 29, 2011
Good idea, but Social security number is flawed

knowing our desperate politicians, they would do anything

its known people steal dead baby's numbers to pas as theirs without any bells ringing.

Also easily can import hundreds of GSM . . .
good idea,but not viable in Nigeria YET
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Abeem(m): 2:59am On Apr 29, 2011
GENELAND:

My dear Thank you very much but stop worrying your head. INEC knows all these and a lot more on how to conduct a rig and hassle-free election.They just dont want to do it yet becos whatever they want to gain. For example. what is the correlation between the finger print registration and the actual paper voting. Answer- none. The finger print registration is a bio-metric authentication system to ensure unique identification of each individual.For the actual voting to correlate with the registration authentication system,there has to also be real-time finger printing during voting. What we had was paper finger printing which obviously was not transfered into a computer systems to be cross-checked or authenticated with the ones already in the database(collected during registration.)Summary is election in nigeria is still a child's play. We are just being boobooed by INEC. When INEC is ready, few of our IT professional can build a 99%full-proof voting system at about 1% cost of what they claim to have spent on these booboo systems of theirs.

Absolutely true. Jega and his employer, JEG knew how to tame the monster known as rigging through the use of the bio-metric recognition system but they chickened out at the last minute because the system will be highly unfavorable to JEG.  The bio-metric recognition system is the only solution to our election problems because it would prevent rigging through multiple voting- you can't vote multiple times and you can't  impersonate another person through the use of another person's voter card because the finger print stored in the computer is unique to one person only - the owner. Once that person has voted, the system will block out any attempt by him'her to vote again.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by Abeem(m): 3:29am On Apr 29, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Social Security Number will and can work great in Nigeria with ease . . . . . .
The young man's idea is not to eradicate rigging cos no one can eliminate rigging . . . . . Even the most developed nation is still experiencing rigging . . . .but it will be reduced.

People almost make up stuff that is not true. What nation do you have in mind when you say "even the most developed nation is still experiencing rigging"? Do you mean the US? If you mean the US, rigging as you know it the croocked and flagrant, in your way Nigeria style is not the norm. What they do is the systematic voters intimidation and tact but they don't carry out barefaced rigging as the do-or-die politicians do in Nigeria. There is no rigging as in falsification and manipulation of results at the collation centers.
The form of intimidation they use is by asking people to bring identification cards, such as drivers license, passport or birth certificate (believe me that is information I got from Rachel Maddow, a highly respected network news anchor woman on the MNSBC stable). In the US many students and blacks don't vote at mid-term elections so the Republican usually make in-roads to electoral victory by cutting from the votes of the Democracts whose main supporters are the first-time voters (those who have just turned 18 and are mainly students). These first time voters from experience usually participate in Presidential elections which occurs every 4 years. On the other hand Congressional elections take place every 2 years and it doesn't generate much interest among the young folks. As they say, there is voters apathy in Congressional elections among the young folks and the blacks and as a result, the Republicans usually win in these elections.
So you see when they ask for all these form of identifications, they know the young voters are more likely to stay away from voting. That is what they term intimidation of voters. People in the US hardly obtain passports so if they ask people to bring passports for identification, and most people don't have one and they surely have no need for obtaining one, then they will refrain from going to vote on election day.  This is going on right now accross most of the State Legislative houses in the US which switched Republican in the last Congressional election in the US.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by namdo(m): 9:39am On Apr 29, 2011
@GENELAND

you hit rightly but for electronic voting of this sought i think we have to improve the electoral act to allow electronic voting. This may have made Jega not to go for that option. There are still years ahead for improvemnts.

That the young of 16 years is thinking about how to improve the system is highly commendable and it shows that we indeed have hope in the younger generation in this country. Surely we are not that lazy. cool
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by clogogo(m): 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2011
am a computer scientist and i tel it can be harked.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by mojojojo(m): 5:19pm On Apr 29, 2011
I commend you for making this contribution and having the confidence ( at your age) to put it forward. As you grow older you will find that people have a culture of pointing out problems and have no idea what the solutions are. Your solution may not be the best but at least you are putting your mind to work.

I have not read the replies to your post but I am sure a lot of people will pick holes at your idea and put you down. Do not be discouraged and keep on thinking.

The solution to most of the problems in Nigeria lies in technology. We basically have a human problem, where perfectly designed systems do not work because of human ineptitude. Every human in a system is a potential point of failure for the entire system and cannot be trusted. The use of technology reduces significantly to the number of humans required to maintain a system and hence the risk of failure.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by IleIfe2(m): 6:13pm On Apr 29, 2011
When Obasanjo tried to introduce the national id card. Afolayan took the money and died an buhari aggressively lobbied against it convincing northern leaders that the northern population fallacy will be discovered.its a nice idea because if we have a national id our mobile sim cards will be registered with our national id number and other biometric data.and it will also assist police investigation alot more things. undecided
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by barneli(m): 9:56am On May 01, 2011
This is a very innovative suggestion from a 16yr old. I have also thought of this idea converting the polling centers to automatic polling booth by this i mean a machine just like the ATM that automatically compiles voters votes real time from just a single scan from your finger prints. once scanned your vote is done simple! even for the illiterates its just a matter of placing your thumb on the photo of the candidate you r voting for and voila, no questions asked the vote goes straight to a real time server monitored by every one allover the world and in Nigeria. thats my take Nigeria Go better ! amen
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by nnekatv: 3:17pm On May 04, 2011
Truthfully, it's not a bad idea. A lot of places have looked into and perhaps it can work in Nigeria in a few years. cool
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by luluosas(m): 11:10am On May 05, 2011
The only thing that thrive when good people do nothing is EVIL. Should we shout down this young man idea, just because some Nigerians has the mentality that, nothing Nigerian will ever work. Was glo given any room to prove themselves when they started operations? No. But today, you and I know the impact and innovations that glo brought into the Telecommunication market in Nigeria.
If this idea is given the needed attention from the Government, whatever you see today as an obstacle to its successes will vanished with time. Let's tell ourselves the truth, no man's idea was ever appreciated until been put to test. Remember, success never come at first time, it comes as a result of successive attempts after every failure. Nigeria can start to export Technology today if only the Government is serious with their spending. God bless Nigeria.
Re: A 16 Year Old's Solution To Nigeria's Electoral Problems by tck2000(m): 8:22pm On Jun 01, 2019
hhhj

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Detains Sylvester Ezeani, INEC Commissioner Over N223bn Diezani Bribe / Meet Two Nigerian Brothers, Victor And Confidence Kipo With A Combined 10 GWR / Buhari's Budget Was Not Based On Zero Budgeting-Auditor General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.