Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,055 members, 7,906,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:24 PM

Fashola Strikes Again - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Strikes Again (9577 Views)

Boko Haram Strikes Again In Adamawa, Burns Down Military Artillery / Nigerian Air Force Strikes Boko Haram Terrorist’s Vehicle Workshop / Rivers Poll : Tribunal Strikes Out APC's Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Strikes Again by EkoIle1: 7:38pm On May 14, 2011
Pataki:

Just to point, Aloy Emeka is a SHE not a He.

Known with many multiple user IDs. OsunAmazon, Hotfunmi, RedHotPepPer, amidst a whole lot of other handles.

Very unfortunate. Makes no difference anyways, the character remains an ignorant idiot with mashed potato brains.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by EkoIle1: 7:40pm On May 14, 2011
nedu666:

eko ile since i joined this site u foolishness has been outstanding

That's it? What a d.umb a.s.s. Silly grown a.s.s i.diotic coward runing around repeating the same BS with different usernames.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 14, 2011
All you people siding with the OP. need to understand something.
The majority of we the opposers are not saying these people should not be cared for, we are saying there needs to be a better structure for this situation that will ultimately lead to cleaner, safer streets.

Like you've heard, a lot of these people are just hustlers, finding it easier to beg than work. Some endanger their lives and the lives of commuters, some insult and spit on people who don't give in to their demands for succor. Please sit back, battering aside all senselessness and PROCESS and THINK whether this is something that should be allowed to be going on in our streets.

For a lot of you, it is possible that you just know no other way. In which case, when you are chanced, I would advise you to visit certain countries outside naija. It's not that they don't have poor people and amputees, but there is ORDER because of systems set in place. This can be done in Nigeria, and Fashola is only doing the first steps at achieving that goal, which is to make the general populace HELP by not giving these people a reason to continue with their reckless behavior.

My only question and what I want to see now, is what structured plan the government has in place for the welfare of these individuals?
But as to them needing to get off the streets, I am TOTALLY for that.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by zibe(m): 8:06pm On May 14, 2011
The only problem i have with the beggars is the way they involve their children in the act. If it was only them begging, it'd probably be ok but no, they have to involve their toddlers. I know this is meant to bring out some compassion from the passers-by but its just wrong. They keep giving birth to more kids despite their condition. So yea, I think they need some form of shelter other than the streets, at least for the sake of those kids.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by seeme2(f): 8:12pm On May 14, 2011
3 Gbosas for Fashola
Gbosa! Gbosa!! Gbosa!!!
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 8:15pm On May 14, 2011
Is this suppose to be a way of avoiding the main issues the state is dealing with? for f*4K sake there are beggars even on the streets of London and NY and whatever the government do there will still be beggars around. I even preffer then to those people flashing very stupid act me at 2/3am
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by sley4life(m): 9:01pm On May 14, 2011
i agree most of them are hoodlums
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 14, 2011
prince_onx:

Is this suppose to be a way of avoiding the main issues the state is dealing with? for f*4K sake there are beggars even on the streets of London and NY and whatever the government do there will still be beggars around. I even preffer then to those people flashing very silly act me at 2/3am

Yes there are, but would you say it's as much and as aggressive as what you have in certain parts of lagos? Where the begging can easily qualify as harrassment.
No part of a city should get that bad, which is where cleanup is necessary.

As someone has pointed, they can register in certain places and be made to earn a living.

But let me tell you this truth, a lot of them aren't interested in earning their living even if they were able-bodied.
I'm not in naija, but I've seen many a hobo here begging (they know they can't just make an enclave of any street. the government won't allow that). A friend of mine asked him if he wanted something better than a few bucks, hobo says yes. Friend gives him his card and tells him to go to a construction site where another friend of his is supervising. That hobo should show that friend the card and tell him he sent him. So he can be put to work and actually "earn" some real money.

Hobo pretty much insulted him and threw the card away and went on to begging from the next person. Understand the mindset of some of the people in question and you will see that you are indeed commiting a crime against them by continually supporting their lazy habit. As to those who are truly sincere in their need, if they register in certain places . . . they can earn.

If not that, I would like to see one of them offering to clean people's shoes for a token, stuff like that. Now these sort of people I have a deep respect for and could even drop #5000 in their hand. But you'd be hard-pressed to find one of them with this attitude.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by emmabowin(m): 10:18pm On May 14, 2011
Nonsense.fashola if u want 2 practise d law dt u read @ skl, please quit nd go 2 d bar. Be a good lawyer nd dont deprive people of their right 2 express themselves by donating 2 whoever they want to.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 10:26pm On May 14, 2011
2buff:

Yes there are, but would you say it's as much and as aggressive as what you have in certain parts of lagos? Where the begging can easily qualify as harrassment.
No part of a city should get that bad, which is where cleanup is necessary.

As someone has pointed, they can register in certain places and be made to earn a living.

But let me tell you this truth, a lot of them aren't interested in earning their living even if they were able-bodied.
I'm not in naija, but I've seen many a hobo here begging (they know they can't just make an enclave of any street. the government won't allow that). A friend of mine asked him if he wanted something better than a few bucks, hobo says yes. Friend gives him his card and tells him to go to a construction site where another friend of his is supervising. That hobo should show that friend the card and tell him he sent him. So he can be put to work and actually "earn" some real money.

Hobo pretty much insulted him and threw the card away and went on to begging from the next person. Understand the mindset of some of the people in question and you will see that you are indeed commiting a crime against them by continually supporting their lazy habit. As to those who are truly sincere in their need, if they register in certain places . . . they can earn.

If not that, I would like to see one of them offering to clean people's shoes for a token, stuff like that. Now these sort of people I have a deep respect for and could even drop #5000 in their hand. But you'd be hard-pressed to find one of them with this attitude.

guy you are right that something can be done! but its not that easy rather its easier said than done. You can go ahead and differentiate beggars to as many categories as you want. You can even say that those with one legs/arm are better than those without any and can work but at the end of the day they are still beggars. As a matter of fact some of them might even preffer begging to running a small trade/business. Give some of them 200k for business today, they will be back on the street tomorrow! WHY? I honestly don't know and there will always be beggars. I lived in the North (Jos) for about 12yrs and I knew a whole lot of them that have bikes (Okada) on the road and every morning they still wake up and go about begging. Before you get me wrong I am not encouraging it, all am simply saying is that we will still have them on our streets regardsless of what the government do. Even those once here (US/UK) are on some kind of government program that take care of them (checks, food stamp/card, hospital card etc) but they still go out begging for change. Anyway we both know that our present government can't take care of them period. Look at our Police, some of them go to work on flip-flop/sandals, our fire service if we still have any have trucks that won't start or half filled with water, even the customs, staffs, etc at our Airport beg for money, abi na our police? biggest/professional beggars, I can go on and on. So bro let our government start with the said problems/beggars first before the handicap beggars. Can you imagine how I feel when a policeman with a gun is begging me for money  grin
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 10:33pm On May 14, 2011
emma bowin:

Nonsense.fashola if u want 2 practise d law dt u read @ skl, please quit nd go 2 d bar. Be a good lawyer nd dont deprive people of their right 2 express themselves by donating 2 whoever they want to.

You know when you praise a dog for jumping it will think/believe that it can fly! Fashola this! Fashola that! Fashola goooooooooooood ooooooooooohhhhhhhh I hope he doesn't push pass his limit. Our Country is the only place where people are worshiped for doing their JOB! up nepa, service don enter, water dey rush today, etc
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by usdane: 12:13am On May 15, 2011
wat about dos ibo men and women dat claim 2 b blind and line up on a queue while singing and begging on d streets?
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Bertbert: 12:25am On May 15, 2011
This is a welcomed development ,beggars and mad people are not supposed to be seen on the street begging or moving around,it's the responsibility of government to take care of them.Individuals can also assist them through Government.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 12:30am On May 15, 2011
usdane:

wat about dos ibo men and women dat claim 2 b blind and line up on a queue while singing and begging on d streets?
And your point is? are they disqualified to be beggars because they are Igbos, blind, queue, or sing? Elaborate.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by usdane: 12:38am On May 15, 2011
And your point is? are they
disqualified to be beggars because
they are Igbos, blind, queue, or sing?
Elaborate,
i just wanted 2 no if they r among,
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 12:49am On May 15, 2011
Bertbert:
This is a welcomed development ,beggars and mad people are not supposed to be seen on the street begging or moving around,it's the responsibility of government to take care of them.Individuals can also assist them through Government.
Which Country are we really talking about here because am getting confused? If your answer is Nigeria, then please STOP talking about Government because we don't have one. Nobody will allow their family/friend to run around the street naked (mad) if there's a shelter provided by government for them, you can actually arrest a beggar or eliminate begging if possible if there is a program (provided by the government) to take care of them. Other than that, we are basically nagging for absolutely nothing or better still you can do something because you are part of the government citizens of Nigeria
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 12:52am On May 15, 2011
usdane:

I hope the highlited word answer your question.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by vislabraye(m): 1:07am On May 15, 2011
Fashola needs to do things with caution. But the real menace to Lagos is Area Boys. They steal, beg, rob and harass and not the innocent beggars who have no means of livelyhood.
Has he finished building the toll gates? That alone would drive average earning lagosians who are not even beggars in the first place.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 1:39am On May 15, 2011

This has nothing to
do with your rights, this is about
public nuisance and public safety. You are free to express yourself under your constitutional rights by giving the money to needy homes the state supports.

This is hilarious; the funniest statement I've read this year. It reminds me of Henry Ford. In the early days of Ford Motors, customers complained about their lack of choices in terms of choosing a colour they prefer for the ford cars. . .since the only available colour for the cars back then was black. Guess Henry Ford's response when these complaints were brought to his notice: " that's not true, you can have any colour you want. . .as long as it's black".

So the Lagos state government hasn't banned me from giving alms. . .as long as I give the alms to "needy homes the state supports". Lol. So the state now has the authority to tell me who to give my money to, or how to spend my own money? In a supposedly democratic country? Lol.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Princek12(m): 2:30am On May 15, 2011
They should ship these beggars back to the north, which is where most of them come from anyway. With their nonsensical--yes, I said nonsensical--Sharia law, which imposes amputation for stealing one kobo, many of these offenders are left with either having no arms or legs and have no choice other than to beg for money.

Because of the stigma associated with being an amputee in the north--of course many northern residents know that the putative amputee was most likely a thief--many northern residents give them no money. Sharia law also imposes a punishment of having the offender's eyes plucked out, so that is why many of those beggars have no eyes. In Lagos they call them "babiyanla."

Our government needs to find a way to stop the punishment this nonsensical Sharia law imposes, as this beggar crisis predominantly caused by Sharia law is now becoming a national epidemic.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by babapupa: 2:58am On May 15, 2011
pro01:

This is hilarious; the funniest statement I've read this year. It reminds me of Henry Ford. In the early days of Ford Motors, customers complained about their lack of choices in terms of choosing a colour they prefer for the ford cars. . .since the only available colour for the cars back then was black. Guess Henry Ford's response when these complaints were brought to his notice: " that's not true, you can have any colour you want. . .as long as it's black".

So the Lagos state government hasn't banned me from giving alms. . .as long as I give the alms to "needy homes the state supports". Lol. So the state now has the authority to tell me who to give my money to, or how to spend my own money? In a supposedly democratic country? Lol.

You are not above the law and the beggars are not above the law, your constitutional rights is not absolute. Just like the state can tell you where to park or not to park your car or where to buold or not build your house. We have laws to protect us and keep us safe and if you giving money to beggars is messing with public safety, you are a violator and should be penalized.

Your constitutional rights doesn't allow you to xpress yourself by throwing trash out in the street, it doesn't allow you to steal, rape or promote general disorderliness. States are empowered by law and can generate laws to ptotect the general public. Once again, you are not above the law and the beggars are equally not.

Like I said before, you are part of the problem, not the solution. The only reason we have beggars out on our streets is because people like you are making it easy for them, you are basically putting out signs saying hey, come to Lagos, Lagos is open for begging.

If you want begging to stop, stop encouraging and enabling beggars, if you want it to continue, keep giving. Take a stand and quit running your mouth about some ridiculous constitutional nonsense, it's clear cut.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by FosterPig: 3:25am On May 15, 2011
what will he do next, ban ashewo enablers?
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by daroz(m): 3:29am On May 15, 2011
No matter what some of these nairalanders are saying, I still want to say a very big thank to Fashola. He who is not working should not eat. No matter the level of their disabilities, begging is not the best for them. Besides, many of them are not even disabled, they just simply took to begging cos it seems lucreative and they are lazy. They should go off the street and reform themselves.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by FosterPig: 3:32am On May 15, 2011
its time to deport all the omoyibo beggars back to anambra and delta.omyiboalways begging me for chop money.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by daroz(m): 3:33am On May 15, 2011
pro01:

, It reminds me of Henry Ford. In the early days of Ford Motors, customers complained about their lack of choices in terms of choosing a colour they prefer for the ford cars. . .since the only available colour for the cars back then was black. Guess Henry Ford's response when these complaints were brought to his notice: " that's not true, you can have any colour you want. . .as long as it's black",

very funny grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by princeonx: 4:30am On May 15, 2011
Foster-Pig:

its time to deport all the omoyibo beggars back to anambra and delta.omyiboalways begging me for chop money.
An Igbo beggar can feed you and your family for all your life. Didn't say it to start something but that is the bitter truth which I know you will be back here to nagg once you read this. Who want to bet? You will be back as soon as you taste this bitter truth. Watch!
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Ojoyi: 8:31am On May 15, 2011
Not that one should not sympathise with beggars but the point here is that we need to identify them. some people on the street are armed robbers at night. i support fashola in institutionalising beggers. beggers please leave the streets for we know u have an option and lagos state has made lots of provision for u.
fashola pls extend this gesture to both indigenes and non indigenes.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by igbogolo: 9:44am On May 15, 2011
Foster-Pig:

Don't delude yourself. Igbos don't need your pittance! On the contrary you are the one moving about with a collection plate.
you and your hungry household are the beggers that will be sent off
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Nobody: 10:57am On May 15, 2011
babapupa:

]You are not above the law and the beggars are not above the law, your constitutional rights is not absolute. Just like the state can tell you where to park or not to park your car or where to buold or not build your house. We have laws to protect us and keep us safe and if you giving money to beggars is messing with public safety, you are a violator and should be penalized.

Your constitutional rights doesn't allow you to xpress yourself by throwing trash out in the street, it doesn't allow you to steal, violation or promote general disorderliness. States are empowered by law and can generate laws to ptotect the general public. Once again, you are not above the law and the beggars are equally not.

Like I said before, you are part of the problem, not the solution. The only reason we have beggars out on our streets is because people like you are making it easy for them, you are basically putting out signs saying hey, come to Lagos, Lagos is open for begging. 

If you want begging to stop, stop encouraging and enabling beggars, if you want it to continue, keep giving. Take a stand and quit running your mouth about some ridiculous constitutional nonsense, it's clear cut.

You should quit running your mouth with the ridiculous and ill-fitting examples you cited above. It's 'clear-cut' that you have no clue about law, its applications, contexts, and enforceability. . . so because I'm "not above the law", it would be illegal for me to give my own money to a stranded stranger if Fashola says so? Who is a 'beggar' in the eyes of the law? How do you differentiate  a beggar from a stranded citizen who solicits for help from a kind hearted fellow citizen? How do you contextualize that in the eyes of the law? Any random id.iot with a tiny bit of common sense would see all sorts of complications and nuances that invariably render this foolish law sterile, unenforceable, and dead-on-arrival. Soon it would be illegal to exchange pleasantries with an acqaintance in public, simply because Fashola said so. Was law made for man or was man made for law? Some laws are STU.PID and should be challenged in a democratic society, not meekly obeyed simply because you're "not above the law". I wonder what the world would have been like today if the likes of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King had this 'obey-before-complain' mentality of yours. Please stop pretending to know what you're talking about.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by igbogolo: 11:05am On May 15, 2011
pro01:

You should quit running your mouth with the ridiculous and ill-fitting examples you cited above. It's 'clear-cut' that you have no clue about law, its applications, contexts, and enforceability. . . so because I'm not above the law, it would be illegal for me to give my own money to a stranded stranger simply becuase Fashola said so? Who is a 'beggar' in the eyes of the law? How do you differentiate a beggar from a stranded citizen who solicits for help from a kind hearted fellow citizen? How do you contextualize that in the eyes of the law? Any random id.iot with a tiny bit of common sense would see all sorts of complications and nuances that render this foolish law sterile, unenforceable, and dead-on-arrival. Soon it would be illegal to exchange pleasantries with an acqaintance in public, simply because Fashola said so. Was law made for man or was man made for law? Some laws are STU.PID and should be challenged in a democratic society, not meekly obeyed simply because 'you're not above the law'. I wonder what the world would have been like today if the likes of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King had this slavish mentality of yours. Please stop pretending to know what you're talking about.

With all respect, your comment is devoid of common sense. We are talking about the obvious beggers on the roads, roundsbouts, with children running and begging while their parents prods them. You know the beggers we are talking about so please stop typing nonsense. I maintain that such comments like yours come from people who to not live in Lagos. If you truly live or lived in Lagos, you would not pile your ignorant dung high up to the heavens.

Babapupa made very good comment that you so ignorantly replied to. Please stop talking nonsense! Hiss
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by Mariory(m): 11:10am On May 15, 2011
pro01:

Of course you could always buy another car in the first place. There are a lot of states in Nigeria where you will not be arrested for giving money to beggers on the street.

pro01:

You should quit running your mouth with the ridiculous and ill-fitting examples you cited above. It's 'clear-cut' that you have no clue about law, its applications, contexts, and enforceability. . . so because I'm "not above the law", it would be illegal for me to give my own money to a stranded stranger if Fashola says so?[/b]Who is a 'beggar' in the eyes of the law? How do you differentiate  a beggar from a stranded citizen who solicits for help from a kind hearted fellow citizen? How do you contextualize that in the eyes of the law? Any random id.iot with a tiny bit of common sense would see all sorts of complications and nuances that invariably render this foolish law sterile, unenforceable, and dead-on-arrival. Soon it would be illegal to exchange pleasantries with an acqaintance in public, simply because Fashola said so. Was law made for man or was man made for law? Some laws are STU.PID and should be challenged in a democratic society, not meekly obeyed simply because you're "not above the law". I wonder what the world would have been like today if the likes of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King had this 'obey-before-complain' mentality of yours. Please stop pretending to know what you're talking about.

Before typing all that irrelevant stuff have you even read the law in question? Or is this one of those occasions where you are just blowing smoke out of your own a.s.s because you feel like it?

pro01:

Please stop pretending to know what you're talking about.

You should take your own advice.
Re: Fashola Strikes Again by BankoleO1: 11:11am On May 15, 2011
This is good news

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PDP Has Disappointed South-east –okorocha / Bye-Election: Kwara PDP Accuses APC Of 'Importing Thugs' / 2023: The Mood In PDP Is Excellent – Ayu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.