Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,001 members, 7,946,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 04:57 PM

Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi (773 Views)

Kunle Olawunmi Wanted By Defence Intelligence Agency Over Channels TV Interview / Buhari Orders NBC To Suspend Channels TV Over Ortom, Olawunmi Interview - Sowore / Olawunmi: Boko Haram Named Governors, Senators, Aso Rock Officials As Sponsors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi by Azeemokoya: 8:52pm On Sep 04, 2021
An ex-Naval officer, Navy Commodore, Kunle Olawunmi, who was invited by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), following an interview he had with a Channels Television programme, ‘Sunrise Daily’ last Wednesday. Honoured the invitation in the company of his lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), on Tuesday.

The interview the ex-Naval officer had elicited widespread controversy with an online medium raising the alarm that he had been declared wanted. Which led to DIA issuing a disclaimer to clear the air that the retired officer was only invited to shed more light on the issues he raised.

In the interview, the ex-Naval officer, who is the Head of the Department of Criminology and Security Studies at Chrisland University, had alleged that some insurgents arrested years ago mentioned the names of some government officials as their supporters.

Among other things, ex-Naval officer Olawumni had said:

“Recently, 400 people were gathered as sponsors of Boko Haram. Why is it that the Buhari government has refused to try them? Why can’t this government bring them to trial if not that they are partisan and part of the charade that is going on?

“You remember this Boko Haram issue started in 2012 and I was in the military intelligence at that time. We arrested those people. My organisation actually conducted interrogation and they (suspects) mentioned names.

I can’t come on air and start mentioning names of people that are presently in government that I know that the boys that we arrested mentioned. Some of them are governors now, some of them are in the senate; some of them are in Aso Rock.”

Following the report that he had been declared wanted and the public outcry that followed, the DIA, through the DHQ spokesman, Maj. Gen. Benjamin Sawyerr,issued a statement to clear the air:

“There is nothing like that. There is no time that the DIA ordered the arrest of the naval officer. He went on Channels Television and said a lot of things. So, someone in intelligence called him and asked him to come on Tuesday and share his information.

“The military does not issue warrant of arrest. Only a court can order an arrest. The former officer spent a lot of time at the interview. If they wanted to arrest him, they would have done so. No one invites someone just to arrest them,” Sawyerr said.

Confirming the visit of the officer to the DIA’s office in Abuja. Falana revealed that it was just a friendly chat between a retired officer and his erstwhile colleagues.

Falana added that he represented the retired military officer during the chat, in strict compliance with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

“I confirm that it was a friendly chat between commodore Kunle Olawunmi and his colleagues. The chat lasted for some minutes. I was allowed to represent the retired military officer during the friendly chat in strict compliance with the provisions of the administration of criminal justice act.”

read more: https://newsroundtheclock.com/ex-naval-officer-olawunmi/

Re: Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi by Ttalk: 9:03pm On Sep 04, 2021
Issorite
Re: Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi by insidelife22(m): 9:06pm On Sep 04, 2021
why is the man always looking angry?

Re: Why I Honoured DIA Invitation – Ex-naval Officer Olawunmi by drake2(m): 11:22pm On Sep 04, 2021
insidelife22:
why is the man always looking angry?

Are you not 'Angry ' with the current system of things in Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

President Visit To Imo State - Photos / Naira To Dollar: Emefiele Accused Of Wrecking Nigeria’s Economy / I'm Coming Back And I Will Bring Hell With Me" - Nnamdi Kanu (2018)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.