Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,177 members, 7,903,891 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 11:52 PM

Human Resource Professionals: - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Resource Professionals: (335871 Views)

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? / Human Resource Management In Canada / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by nitrogen(m): 6:40am On Feb 26, 2010
Hi @all,pls i am looking 4 an industrial attachment placement.i am an undergrad at lautech ogbomoso studyin management science and my i.t starts by may.if there is any pls mail me at asoxygen25@yahoo.com THIS is a hr proffesionals thread so dats why i decided to post this here. THANKS
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Liss: 10:18pm On Mar 10, 2010
Hello All,

Kindly advise the best Human Resource certification to be done by anyone who wants to migrate to Canada. I think it is the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) one that does PHR- SHRP and all but not so sure.

Anyone with useful information should kindly drop here.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Naadia(f): 11:27pm On Mar 10, 2010
@Liss

The Canadian HR certification is the CHRP (Certified HR Professional). You can visit the website for more info: http://www.chrp.ca/en/
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Liss: 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2010
Thanks a lot, Naadia.

How can one get get certified with the CHRP here in Nigeria? Any ideas and information regarding tutoring, classes, etc,
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Liss: 1:24pm On Mar 11, 2010
I saw a vacancy for a human resource professional sometime ago in a Nigerian newspaper saying that membership of SHRM would be an advantage and I am like what happened to CIPM certification again undecided. Anywayz, can anyone please enlighten us on how to get certified with SHRM? Like where classes are done or something or the other as I hear there are a lot of SHRM certified individuals in Nigeria.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 6:24pm On Mar 23, 2010
Liss:

I saw a vacancy for a human resource professional sometime ago in a Nigerian newspaper saying that membership of SHRM would be an advantage and I am like what happened to CIPM certification again undecided. Anywayz, can anyone please enlighten us on how to get certified with SHRM? Like where classes are done or something or the other as I hear there are a lot of SHRM certified individuals in Nigeria.

Nothing has happened to CIPM as regard HRM in nigeria. Some executives or business owners believe in SHRM. You will found out such persons studied in canada. That might have informed thier decisions. I remember recruiting for a firm recently and the requirement is that for all position advertised, you must have MBA and this must be from LBS. Initially when I look @ the profile of the CEO of that company, I understand why he wont settle for anything less that LBS as a result of his background.

I believe there may be other reasons anyway.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:45am On Mar 24, 2010
@ all

I need a change of job.  I have HND in Secretarial Studies, Diploma in Advanced Electronic Data Processing and am an Associate Member of Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria.  Please notify me of any vacancy in your establishment through ayokemi2003@yahoo.com. 

Thank you.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 26, 2010
Hey Peeps, nice forum I must confess. Hmmm? I'm writing my P.E 1 in CIPMN this August. It seems getting HR job in Nigeria now is near impossible. I was almost lamenting last week that my 2nd class upper was a waste until I saw a first class grad job hunting himself. As HR experts, I guess ethics are being thrown to the winds when it comes to recruitment. I worked as a business developer for two years and all of a sudden, I was transferred to straight marketing! "Great Potentials they told me!" What do you gurus think can be done to sanitize our HRM in Nigeria.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by SUKKIE(m): 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2010
@ tee jake
Welcome aboard!It's such a shame HR in Nigeria is at its infancy. H.R is meant to tap into the human element and find a strategic-fit inherent in the firm. This  never happens in Gidi. Recruitment is marred with awful job analysis,job description changes in a spur of a moment.What do  u expect from a country with sparse employment opportunites?I can identify with what u went thru.A friend relocated a year ago after his Msc,believe me sincerely from a Financial Controller  to a Marketer,now back to multitudinous labour market. The key tenets of a fair recruitment are far-fetched.Labour unions are literally non-existence hence, managers victimise their sub-ordinates,lay-off  haphazardly and do loads of  despicable things.
We placed  a vacancy not quite long ago, part of the person's specification was a good  sense of humour.What does this depict?HR is drifing towards soft skills vis-a-vis other attributes. Only a few multinatinonal firms adhere to core H.R principles in Nigeria.Brov,we go jam well 4 dis forum n good luck with your exams.God dey!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 29, 2010
Hmmm? Need I say more? So it's an all round thing! Well, what would eventually happen is that the 'real' professionals at the job will leave this country and go else where to practice. I have a passion for pure HRM with great ideas that's highly practicable. My brova, it's as good as chasing the wind if I try to introduce that here. Well, if there's little or nothing our professional practice can do to change the changing scenes, then some of us would have to follow our passion somewhere else. HRM has been messed up in this country. Can you imagin job specification including humour? How ludicrous! I really believe in our great country and I try to contribute my positive quota always but where has this gotten me now? I'd rather remain hungry than dine with the 'devils' at their deeds. Hmmm? I'm so so happy I joined in on this forum. It's the most sensible I've ever seen online. Thanks Sukkie. A thumbs up for you. If you've gotten a way forward, please share with us all. At least, this could be a starting point for the change we so much crave for. Have a fab day.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by SUKKIE(m): 8:11pm On Mar 29, 2010
teejake,
There is a little misconception here by “soft skills and the humour bit ” in that context I meant relationship management ;which is primarily underpinned by the emotional intelligence. In essence, soft skills entails how you effectively deal with co-workers, manage changes, strategic alliances and other key arms of strategic HR. This is what we lack in Nigeria. We lay undue emphasis on analytical prowess, IT skills and what not. By the way, at the moment I don’t live in 9jar. I had a lil shave with HR in 9jar after my NYSC thou.
Ever considered doing CIPD? Not too sure if they do it in 9jar thou. It’s the UK version of CIPMN,it will open more doors.

@lollypop
CIPD is well appreciated in the Labour Mkt but even with d best of certiifications a decent job is still not certain. I heard u only need to do four more modules with a CIPD pali and bang-on u ve ur CIPMN.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2010
@SUkkie, that was quite revealing. Thanks bro. Well, I have a slogan: never say die. I'm going to make sure I acquire all the skills I can in HRM here in Nigeria. I'm hoping to do my masters in UK too but it would only make sense if I complete my CIPMN programme here. Hmmm. I still desire to practice awhile here because I've come to a discovery that every aspect of our HRM is just a mirror of who we are and not what the profession professes. The truth is that I still wanna contribute my idea in the industry, honestly. Well, God on my side, I'll try my best. Great time my brova.

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 29, 2010
@SUkkie, that was quite revealing. Thanks bro. Well, I have a slogan: never say die. I'm going to make sure I acquire all the skills I can in HRM here in Nigeria. I'm hoping to do my masters in UK too but it would only make sense if I complete my CIPMN programme here. Hmmm. I still desire to practice awhile here because I've come to a discovery that every aspect of our HRM is just a mirror of who we are and not what the profession professes. The truth is that I still wanna contribute my idea in the industry, honestly. Well, God on my side, I'll try my best. Great time my brova.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cutieisme(m): 4:53am On Apr 20, 2010
what is SHRM, am an undergraduate of HRM , i would like to know if there is a profesional body for HRM apart from CIA
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by vanila(f): 11:51am On Apr 20, 2010
Please i am a chartered Human Resource Practitioner with 3years exp, i need an hr job. anybody of help
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2010
cutieisme:

what is SHRM, am an undergraduate of HRM , i would like to know if there is a profesional body for HRM apart from CIA

The Canadian HR certification is the CHRP (Certified HR Professional). You can visit the website for more info: http://www.chrp.ca/en/

Chartered Institute of Personnel Mgt. You can visit the website for more info www.cipmnigeria.org
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Titobay(f): 7:25pm On Apr 20, 2010
Yemmight,

Its obvious you work for a global organisation for you to have such a Recruitment Policy. A lot of young Nigerian companies are yet to face realities of the importance of HR and that why some structures crumble. I have worked in and Advertising company for 9 yrs and i know the mentality of business owners when it comes to HR activities, only a few can see through the vision of their companies. However, it takes doggedness and ability to make them see the need to do certain things backed with facts and figures.

However, i thought to share the tips below on Managing Performance for Managers. ENJOY IT!

Managing Performance for many managers is the holy grail – how exactly do you get a disparate group of team members working effectively together to achieve common goals and still keep them motivated?

One area we are always trying to improve is the way people perform on the job, and it is vital that we understand the
elements that make up an individual’s performance so we can influence them and, ideally, set some parameters for them to work around.

That is where the Performance Equation comes in, and its applicability is so generic, it can be discussed and utilised in virtually any industry and with any individual.

The Equation is: Performance = (K plus S) divided by I multiplied by A

The Performance Equation states there are four elements that are common to all human performance:

Knowledge (K) and Skills (S) - The Ability to Perform

To achieve high performance, individuals must know how to do the job (their knowledge) and be able to do the job (their skills).
The gaining of knowledge and skills creates the ability for individuals, teams, and organizations to perform to an acceptable
and, consequently, higher level.

Interference (I) - The Opportunity to Perform

To achieve high performance, people must have the opportunity to use their ability to perform. Interference amounts to those
aspects of a business’s infrastructure and culture that hinder the use of ability. A training program to develop teamwork, for
example, may be useless if an aggressive culture and negative attitudes exist within the team, as participants learn that,
"This is not the way we do things around here!"

Attitude (A) - The Willingness to Perform

To achieve high performance, people must be willing to use their knowledge and skills and willing to overcome the Interference
that will block their performance. Attitudes, the fourth element of performance, determine if people are willing to use their
existing abilities, are willing to develop new abilities, and are willing to overcome the interference to their performance. As
Henry Ford said, "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you’re right!"  So, individual attitudes are a basic element of
all human performance.

The relationship between the elements of performance has a tremendous effect on results. When ability and willingness are
met with opportunity, dramatic and sustainable performance can be achieved.

Think about how you perform as a manager. Do you know the knowledge and skills your people need to achieve their goal? Have
you worked on the interferences that exist within your team, so that you achieve your goals without having to force change on the
team? Do you have the attitude that sets the example of what you are looking for?

The performance equation will help you achieve the department goals because it sets your people up for success.

For more tips, Visit: For more tips, visit: www.peopleeffectiveness.com

1 Like

Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Titobay(f): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2010
RE: what is SHRM, am an undergraduate of HRM , i would like to know if there is a profesional body for HRM apart from CIA?

Cuteisme,

In response to your answer, SHRM is the HR body in the US. The full meaning is Society for Human Resource Management. We have a body here in Nigeria but you can google SHRM and get more details about their activities. If you really want to be deep in HR career, you need global affiliate aside from CIPM. There's also CIPD, the UK body which is the Chartered Institute Personnel Development

Hope this is helpful
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cutieisme(m): 4:40pm On Apr 21, 2010
Thanks titobay, HRM is my choosen career and i sure want to be one of the best , I will need your help since you know alot about it, is there a way to contact you , i would prefer an email, i need to learn alot on HRM and how to be good in my choosen career, can you please tell me your email so i can contact you??mine is cutieistheboy@yahoo.com
Thanks
I will be expecting your reply soon
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by machere44: 2:51am On Apr 22, 2010
I just joined this forum as I have been looking fo like-minded people, I also intend to practice HR in Nigeria which is why I have travelled half of the world to gather as much as I could. for Cutiesme,(UK and US). I actually just finished my SHRM PHR preparatory classes here in the United States and hopefully intend to write my exams next month, The reason is I am heading to naija end of May and I was hoping to gather as much certificates and degrees as possible and hopefully secure a job , I am quite fed up with living outside nigeria and enuf is enuf ( O ti to ge). let me know if u have any questions about the SHRM ( Society for Human Resource Mgt) body as a whole as I am a member here.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by machere44: 3:02am On Apr 22, 2010
Iranloladun,
I am a member of SHRM? do have something for me?
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cutieisme(m): 4:28am On Apr 22, 2010
Thanks machere44 , since you are online rigth now, there is alot i want to learn about HRM as a whole, am still an undergraduate still for 2 years more to spend in school but i want to be a professional before i graduate, i would like to contact you privately too, there is so much i need to ask, if you send me your email i will ask all my questions and will be able to read answers over and over again and ask again whatever i need to know, hopefully you will reply me soon thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by machere44: 4:40am On Apr 22, 2010
sorry for the late response, I was trying to eat something, namachere@yahoo.com. hit me right now,
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cutieisme(m): 4:49am On Apr 22, 2010
ok thanks am sending you an email rigth now
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by cutieisme(m): 5:03am On Apr 22, 2010
hello machere44
i just sent you an email, please reply me soon , please you can also check your buck mail for the email thanks hopefully you will have answers to those questions thanks God bless
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by yemmight(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2010
Titobay,

Thank yu for that piece of write up.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by mytcollins: 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2010
HELLO PROFESSIONALS, IM A GRADUATE OF ENGLISH ART BUT WOULD LIKE TO PUT UP A PROFESSIONAL CAREER IN HUMAN RESOURCE.PLEASE I WILL WANT YOU TO PLEASE GIVE A GUIDELINE TOWARDS ACHIEVING THIS DREAM.YOU COULD EITHER MAIL ME AT myteecollins@yahoo.com or 08120453003. Please i need your support and assistance.

Thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by mytcollins: 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2010
"Titobay", kindly help out with informations concerning choosing a HR CAREER.What to do and how to go about it. My email addy is myteecollins@yahoo.com or 08120453003.

Thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by Tsuna22(m): 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2010
Hi,
I just concluded my B.Sc In Human Resources and I am seeking to go for a professional course, I wish to go for CIPD but I dont know if they are located in Lagos. I am presently based in Lagos.
Another thing that bothers me is if CIPM carries as much authority as CIPD, Thanks
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by SUKKIE(m): 10:22pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Tsuna

CIPD carries more weight than CIPM but at the moment things are quiet in Nigeria so u could put the former in abeyance while u garner some experience.

Since CIPM is accessible,u may as well start with that ,cos CIPD is quite expensive and nt too sure they run it in Nigeria.All d best!
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by b2oohh: 11:43am On Apr 26, 2010
grin for putting this up.

You see HR has numerous facets and angles to it.

You have
1[b].Recruitment and headhunting[/b](the former being basic while latter being more advanced/poaching of talented top notch employees)
2.Compensation and Benefits (what do you pay who and why)
3[b].Training and Staff Welfare[/b] (how do u make Mr B perform as expected,train him of course or hire another that can do it from Day 1-mind you someone trained him somewhere b4 you hired him & also note that as head of HR you are the voice of the employees-empathy and managerial discretion should be your watchwords).
4.Promotions,Pensions and Transfers and Deployment. (Big organisations will have a unit dedicated soley for this)
5.HR Consultancy: You do HR jobs for clients,recruit for them,appraise their staff etc

On the issue on certification-you have loads of them internationally, CIPD,SHRM,Institute of Recruitment Professionals,Recruitment and Emplyment Confederation amongst others and not to forget CIPM-you aill get exemptions for being members of some of the international ones.Contact CIPM for more details.

For the green horns-The future is very bright as local employers and clients are now coming to terms with the fact that a functional HR dept is pivotal to organisational sucess.
A suggestion is to have a mentor-someone with loads of experience in managing Human Resources as no matter the academic exercise (even in Harvard) human beings are dynamic and only experience and networking will see you through.

Who am i? - A UK trained HR Consultant with over 10 years experience on 3 continents
* machere44-ain't no place like home,the possibilities are limitless here,i consult for SME's and you will be amazed at what you can do for them.
Re: Human Resource Professionals: by AjanleKoko: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2010
I have a small poser for my HR friends:

In the recruitment exercise, who is ultimately responsible for determining who gets hired, or determines the baseline for hiring?
HR managers have been clamouring of late to have a lot more say in determining which candidates are selected for the organization, but the hiring managers usually feel that it is relevant only to them. HR should just focus on doing the paperwork and salary negotiations.

What do you guys think?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (91) (Reply)

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! / Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.